Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Lsuoma »

Gefan wrote:I apologize in advance for exceeding my non-existant seniority around here but maybe it's time we all back away from Greg Laden.
I don't know that much about him but he seems to be (a) increasingly emotionally fragile and (b) rendered harmless by his own sheer ineptitude. How far does someone's life have to progress down the crapper for them to start pining for the Stephalump for fuck's sake?
I don't know what the end-game is here and I don't have any desire to drive him to suicide. Aside from anything else, I'd miss the entertainment.

And, because I can't be bothered to do it myself, whoever wants to post the inevitable, Chris Crocker "Leave Greg Alone" picture, you have my blessing.
As long as he's acting like a complete cunt, forget it...

franc

Post by franc »

Tuibguy wrote:Don't be fucking smug here. I was taking a swipe at this cesspool, too.
Who's being smug eh? Just substitute some words -

https://sslimgs.xkcd.com/comics/atheists.png

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

Darren wrote:Nanny Ophie is much closer to a breakdown in my non-expert opinion.
Shit, that reminds me of a particularly odious troll who used to frequent the Army Rumour Service Boards:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/LadyNavyVet

The general concensus at the time was that the constant spittle-flecked vituperation she angrily posted drove her to simply explode.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Response to Al's video:

http://i.imgur.com/pzyLz.jpg

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Reap wrote:I am here to get my orders from Abbie... I can not function unless she directs me.......I want to pee on greg ladens face but can not do so until I have permission from Abbie.....I must do her bidding......BTW Greg Laden is a bright as a dried up pea and half as witty
Errr she is busy in the lab making some winged monkeys or something.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

It's been a while since I had a look at the ARRSE Wiki but does this remind you anyone we know?

Snufflepost

Post by Guest »

Darren wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Darren wrote: Then why don't some of these pricks make a public stand against shit like this? Sorry, Justin, but I don't care how great these people are behind the scenes where no-one else can here them.
I know quite a few people who remain silent about the 'issues' online. However, they are watching, and seeing things for what they are. They are the silent majority. I think the time is coming that they will stand up and be counted. Everyone is sick of the FTB bullshit.
I'm not talking about your average Joe or Jane - I can understand why these people want to stay out of it. It's these bloggers at FtB who, supposedly, are on Justin's side, yet do nothing to object to the tyranny of the FC5. In fact, I don't understand why Justin doesn't just pack his bags and leave given how PZ is treating him.
Indeed. There's nothing particularly stopping him from setting up his own blog elsewhere, which is what I'd do if I were similarly treated. Given that FtB uses WordPress, it's possible (AFAIK) to simply export the original database and then import it on another WordPress-based blog.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Spence wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Justin linked to it in his post at Rock Beyond Belief (the one that's currently being discussed here).
Justin linked to SGBM's claim, which is far from the full story. Unfortunately, the full story is difficult to glean from the comments, because there was a whole bunch of stuff going down at the time. Which is why I'm trying to find out if anyone remembers it at the time. I think John Welch and Justicar have commented on it quite a bit from time to time.

SGBM is referring to the pharyngula wikia. While SGBM claims Maria did add some personal information - and as admin he would be in a position to know this - but he does not claim Maria added her home address, and furthermore this was after other things had already been written - of course all this is now memory-holed. Also, I thought the original doxxing happened at Laden's blog (also memory holed), not the wikia.

It's way more complicated than Justin makes it out to be. Although Maria can react in a provocative way sometimes (e.g. she had a strange one-sided falling out with Phil), my recollection is quite different to Justin's. But my recollection may not be completely correct, so I'm trying to see if anyone can fill in some of the gaps.
I wasn't aware of, much less following, that story when it happened. Here are a couple of places I found where Maria mentions it:
http://kazez.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-b ... 7442965015

http://beckytranssexual.wordpress.com/2 ... -dare-you/ (3rd to last comment and last comment)

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Darren wrote:
They could not know it at the time, but while there was no reason for them to hear this story, Mallows felt a strong need to tell it. He needed to tell it now because he knew a punctuation event was about to occur, and this story would be that one perfect paragraph to be so ended.
Is English Greg's native tongue? Hard to say.
Is it ironic that Laden writes like a human spambot?
Al Stefanelli wrote:My latest video:

An Atheist Cult: Those Radicals From Freethought Blogs, Atheism Plus, Etc.

fTpHj3HvVC4
Good stuff Al, but something tells me all their going to hear is "...hate men and Caucasians..." and from there use it as evidence that you're indeed a racist and a sexist who fears having his 'privilege' attacked. From the looks of what Justin posted above this may already have happened. Nonetheless it's a needed message for lurkers to hear.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ed Brayton's had some heart surgery, and has now realized that his and Meyers's vanity project ain't gonna cover his down time.

So, he's gone the Greta route and has the begging bowl out:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... -you-help/

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

soldierwhy wrote:
Darren wrote:Nanny Ophie is much closer to a breakdown in my non-expert opinion.
Shit, that reminds me of a particularly odious troll who used to frequent the Army Rumour Service Boards:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/LadyNavyVet

The general concensus at the time was that the constant spittle-flecked vituperation she angrily posted drove her to simply explode.
I should visit ARRSE more often. At it's best it's very funny and also very cruel e.g.
Popular legend recounts that she died mid-post, and was found slumped face-down onto the keyboard.

Her death caused about ten minutes of soul searching by some of the wetter members of the site who wondered if they might have contributed to her untimely demise. Her NOK refused Arrse's request for a web-cam at the autopsy, but we did manage to snap up the dribble-soaked keyboard on e-bay. Result.
Which is about my position on the 'Greg Laden may be close to the edge' notion. It's also my position on Ed Brayton:
So, Black and Decker to the sternum and they are shocked to find a ton of fluid in my chest, pushing down on my heart and lungs and making my heart go into overdrive to keep oxygen in my system. They do a biopsy on the lymph nodes, clean things up, install three chest tubes and sew me back up. Sometime in the middle of the night, I ripped out my ventilator tube (I told them that better not be on my bill, I did it myself). As for what caused all of this, that’s still not certain.
Not certain? I'll give you my diagnosis right here Ed:

http://i.imgur.com/IAB3P.jpg?1

It's called being a big fat bastard!
The good news is that I have health insurance, which I pay on a COBRA from my job with AINN (it runs out in six months and I’ll have to get my own insurance, which thankfully can’t be denied anymore because of the preexisting condition). But I’m still going to have some significant out-of-pocket expenses and loss of income during the recovery period (it’s going to be a couple months before I’m really back to normal). So you can certainly help out financially if you have the means to do so and it would be greatly appreciated.
Yep, it's Ed's turn to go on the scrounge. The quotes are from Greta Christina's blog (wouldn't you know it). I've got a better idea Ed, cut down your food intake to say two cows per day and you'll easily save enough to pay the bills. Or you could ditch that useless FTB network and save money that way. I mean the standard position is that you don't make money from it right? Well, even if you did, not for much longer, going by the figures.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Darren wrote:Holy crap, it gets better:
In his book, Greg Laden wrote:It was a dark and stormy night. That was normal, since it was night so the sun was down, and it was the rainforest so it was raining.
LOLOLOLOL...
[youtube]COSeM2EVkDc[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-haaa - Greg's book has just garnered another review. One which ends with this pretty devastating line:
Hopefully Mr Laden has another occupation since writing will most certainly not pay his bills.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R8 ... =sundugodo
Yes indeed. Old Greggy's book is down to 2.5 stars. What with being down with the family working on my netbook I'm limited in ways I can hit Laden in the ego and wallet. When I get back, making sure that his book is properly reviewed, and that ... well, Greg reads The SlymePit, so we'll just keep the next exciting installment of Mirthfully Fuck with Greg under wraps.
Punker wrote:I hope that the people posting these book reviews have actually read the book
Yes, Of course they had.
Dan wrote:
Punker wrote:I hope that the people posting these book reviews have actually read the book

I did read a Kindle sample of it before I wrote my review but I didn't read the whole book. Based on the sample I think my review is reasonable.I can't see the full version of the book being any better.
That's fair. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to give their opinion on a book unless they have read all the way through it. Some books are so horribly written that most people wouldn't be able to get through the first few pages. Laden's book seems to be one of them. If anyone can cite an example of a book where the writer used the brilliant conceit of writing total shit for the first couple dozen pages, and then turned brilliant, I'd like to hear it.
Darren wrote:Is English Greg's native tongue? Hard to say.
English was Joseph Conrad's third language. Greg Laden is no Conrad. My own ex-wife began learning English in the equivalent of 6th grade and spoke almost accentless American Standard. The only thing she was weak on were slang and idiom. Apparently language use is a matter of intelligence.
Gefan wrote:I apologize in advance for exceeding my non-existant seniority around here but maybe it's time we all back away from Greg Laden.
I don't know that much about him but he seems to be (a) increasingly emotionally fragile and (b) rendered harmless by his own sheer ineptitude. How far does someone's life have to progress down the crapper for them to start pining for the Stephalump for fuck's sake?
I don't know what the end-game is here and I don't have any desire to drive him to suicide. Aside from anything else, I'd miss the entertainment.
Last I checked seniority (past being a guesty newb) makes fuck-all difference in The Pit. So does mod status. For example, Lsouma is a jumped up little prick. He knows it, I know it, he knows I know it and we are all around knowledgeable about it.

Your concern is noted and admirable, but honestly, I'm not going to write Laden a pass just because he's mental. To use a flawed analogy, if he wants to dance on a ledge, I'm not going to stand in the street yelling "jump", but neither am I going to risk myself to save him from himself.

Actions have consequences. Laden has done a lot of these actions and has mostly skirted on the consequences. Laden's mistake this time around is to target someone who just doesn't give a shit about his scary doxxy shit, and has an overdeveloped sense of theatricality and justice. Kind of like Batman. With horns. And googly lemur eyes.

I have considered the advantages of taking the strap-on gimp bitch high road and taking my share of being fucked in the ass in a completely enlightened and passive manner, and considered the obvious fragile mental state that Laden calls home and considered moderating my response to be a little more measured and less lulzy and...

Naaah. Fuck that.

Let's fuck with him. Using the three-prong attack of mockery, contempt and the truth.

However if I push Laden to the point where he decides to put a bullet through his brain I will give my deepest condolences to the bullet, as nothing should be forced to transverse that hot mess of crazy crammed into his skull.

Darren

Post by Darren »

real horrorshow wrote:I've got a better idea Ed, cut down your food intake to say two cows per day and you'll easily save enough to pay the bills.
Come on, show of hands. Who didn't laugh at this? :D

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ed, just call Greta. She was "cured" from her "illness" so quickly she undoubtedly has thousands of donated dollars remaining she can give you.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote:Lsouma is a jumped up little prick. He knows it, I know it, he knows I know it and we are all around knowledgeable about it.
Lsuoma: Little White Prick of Authority!

Darren

Post by Darren »

Maria has seen Justin's article:

http://i.imgur.com/xfgkO.png

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Darren wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:I've got a better idea Ed, cut down your food intake to say two cows per day and you'll easily save enough to pay the bills.
Come on, show of hands. Who didn't laugh at this? :D
I tried not to...I mean, I can sympathise with Ed, but...

Honestly, Ed - who ate all the pies here, eh? :lol: Didn't you even take it as a warning sign that the last person who told you you needed a bypass was a motorway engineer?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Lsouma is a jumped up little prick. He knows it, I know it, he knows I know it and we are all around knowledgeable about it.
Lsuoma: Little White Prick of Authority!
http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/dickshriv.jpg

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Can anyone glean what's going on between @bluharmony and Justin Griffith on Twitter?

Darren

Post by Darren »

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

What is this referring to? I'm afraid I've missed this particular kerfuffle.

Darren

Post by Darren »

It looks like Justin has retracted the portion of his post in which he claimed bluharmony doxxed herself...

Darren

Post by Darren »

John Brown wrote:What is this referring to? I'm afraid I've missed this particular kerfuffle.
Just wait five minutes for the next one ;)

This one was an off-shoot of JG's attack on Laden in which he also took a swipe at bluharmony. I'm still trying to figure out for myself wat the whole story with blu is...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

John Brown wrote:Can anyone glean what's going on between @bluharmony and Justin Griffith on Twitter?
In a nutshell - Justin Griffith's latest blog post concerning Greg Laden's doxxing of Mykeru -http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... ine-rival/ - had a part where he claimed that Bluharmony gaslighted Laden and doxxed herself. This has since been edited by JG - Bluharmony, having presumably seen the unedited version, is therefore spitting razors over it.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Tigzy wrote:
John Brown wrote:Can anyone glean what's going on between @bluharmony and Justin Griffith on Twitter?
In a nutshell - Justin Griffith's latest blog post concerning Greg Laden's doxxing of Mykeru -http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... ine-rival/ - had a part where he claimed that Bluharmony gaslighted Laden and doxxed herself. This has since been edited by JG - Bluharmony, having presumably seen the unedited version, is therefore spitting razors over it.
Ah. Quite a dishonest move, that. Better to leave the offending post in tact and amend with a correction and an apology, rather than send it down the memory hole.

I understand I'm "preaching to the choir;" but, still...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

*Edit to my previous post - that should have been Laden's attempted doxxing of Mykeru. In typical inept fashion, Laden has actually doxxed a complete stranger.

mordacious1

AL

Post by mordacious1 »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
My latest video:

Al, did you light a cigarette and then talk for 11 minutes without taking a puff? I guess that's one way of cutting back on smoking.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Haw! There goes Ophelia again - Al's video has "ragey rage."

Mykeru's comic affectation was "vibrating with rage." You'd probably have to mop the floor if she ever heard a Pathe newsreel. I guess anyone more animated than her mopey demeanor is a rager. RAAAAAGER.
Ophelia wrote:I’m breaking my usual rule of ignoring it to check the veracity of Al’s claims about the sp at the end of his video.
"I’m breaking my usual rule of ignoring it before breakfast to check the veracity of Al’s claims about the sp at the end of his video."

FTFY.

welch

Post by welch »

papillon wrote:
Greg (General ass kicker) Laden wrote: … I do not regard physical threats as unimportant. It is just that I am a very large, muscular man with martial arts training who never goes anywhere without my pit bull, and I always carry a gun. I am also famous for kicking ass, generally.
Greg (General ass kicker) Laden wrote:I may or may not have exaggerated about the pit bull, the gun, and the marshal arts.
....and your talent as a writer.
I dunno, if he starts singing Gilbert & Sullivan at me, I'd run like hell.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

justinvacula wrote:Response to Al's video:

http://i.imgur.com/pzyLz.jpg
The difference is that the white males on Al's "hate list" happen to be white and happen to be male. Race and gender doesn't enter into it. However, in non-plussedville it's white privilege and male privilege. The bad guys in their little fairytale are white males in various forms, old, able-bodied, heterosexual. While in Al's case (and I'm speaking unequivocally here) it's because they're insufferable douchecanoes up shit creek.

Besides, isn't patriarchy a two-way street? According to feminist theory, men suffer, too. Okay, so why are they always the culprits?

Oh, and isn't it amusing that "white" and "male" privilege is considered the highest form of privilege, owing the right to speak on whatever (making the argument that people who aren't white and male can't), yet as soon as you speak on an issue with the wrong opinion (in their eyes) and happen to be white and male (and old, as that counts too) that right is immediately revoked? As a sign of your "white" and "male" privilege?

In other words, that the opinion would carry more weight were you not white but black and not male but female?

Do the minorities in the community endorse FTB in this antic of infantilizing them?

welch

Post by welch »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Response from Justin to Tigzy....
Justin Griffith response:
This will be the only comment I let through like this.

To the anti-FTB: people I vehemently disagree that ‘all of FtB’ supports Laden. Initially, I even gave off signals that they didn’t have to publicly ‘have my back’. The only reason they may have even entertained not dropping him was because nothing like that had ever happened before, and hindsight is 20/20. You’ll never know how great Ed Brayton was to me on the phone. You’ll never know how many of the people here privately wrote to me in support. It really meant a lot to me, and you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Yeah, there are like two people here on cordial terms with him… that’s a pretty good percentage for a group of people connected only by atheism.

Several of my co-bloggers who you describe as not giving a shit about military activism have agreed to speak at military bases, or even joined the lineup at RBB2. Your premise is just wrong. When you say they don’t even care about skepticism anymore, you’re also talking about me. You’re also talking about people who never claimed to care about skepticism. Some are biblical scholars, scientists, or philosophers. Some write about sexuality and gender issues, we even have a drunken chef who likes good music. It’s not a perfect harmonious family, but what the hell did you expect?

I messed up a bit too. I pissed them off and I apologized. I also accidentally allowed people to freely shitting on my friends here. I am much better at moderating comments now. Though you didn’t say this, I want to address one last point. I don’t see why people think it’s for the $ or the hits. I donate every penny to charity / activism, and it isn’t that much.

To the anti-Justin Griffith people:Conversely, the other side of the narrative is off too. You’ll never know how many top-tier atheists wrote to me in confidence, expressing their condolences at my treatment. You’ll never know how I detested being fit into the ‘slyme pit’ narrative, appearing on their ‘body count list’ etc. Few of you will ever know the stresses of dealing with multiple credible death threats, and how an activist with my level of visibility simply has to take all of them seriously and let the FBI make the call. You likely won’t realize the extreme restraint I used, and part of me still regrets not doing so. Like I said, I wouldn’t expect somebody like Laden to fight fair, it doesn’t take a genius to ambush somebody.

If you give a shit about harassment, threats, and mental health issues like PTSD, what is your deal? Stop it.

To everyone: Do not rehash the elevator gate, or talk about why you hate RW, or shit like that. Do not respond to it if it gets by me temporarily. I’m going to heavily moderate this discussion. It is what it is. Stay only on the topic of the content of this post. Or don’t comment if you can’t hold back.
I'm steadily getting to where I have no fucks to give about Justin or his fucking "cause". I didn't have a problem with him disassociating from the 'pit before, I understood why. But his latest round is coming up self-serving as fuck, and almost a bit oolonish in terms of playing both sides. He's also coming across as kind of stupid and desperate:
To the anti-FTB: people I vehemently disagree that ‘all of FtB’ supports Laden. Initially, I even gave off signals that they didn’t have to publicly ‘have my back’. The only reason they may have even entertained not dropping him was because nothing like that had ever happened before, and hindsight is 20/20. You’ll never know how great Ed Brayton was to me on the phone. You’ll never know how many of the people here privately wrote to me in support. It really meant a lot to me, and you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Yeah, there are like two people here on cordial terms with him… that’s a pretty good percentage for a group of people connected only by atheism.
So you're the fat chick they'll fuck, but when anyone else is around, they don't know you. Awesome dude, way to rock the self-esteem. I guess as long as they wash their dicks after they pull out of your ass, but before they jizz on your face, it shows they really care. Okay, they call you a fat fucking cow when their friends are around, but they always lube you up before anal, so they really respect you.

ANYone can be brave in private. Other than Hallq in ONE post on Abbie's Facebook, and Brayton saying he canned laden, exactly how many of those fuckers, in public and on their sites, explicitly stood up for you?

Yeah, you go ahead and count that up. I'd love to be wrong, I doubt I am.

They all stand by you, through tuck and thin...as long as no one knows about it. I don't know what I'm talking about? Maybe so, but I know the difference between someone being brave even in public and someone who only goes out with you to places no one they know will ever show up. The question is, do you?

Maybe Justin, maybe if you suck his dick enough, PZ will even talk to you nice in public.

welch

Post by welch »

And, because I can't be bothered to do it myself, whoever wants to post the inevitable, Chris Crocker "Leave Greg Alone" picture, you have my blessing.
Greg wanted to play Internet badass. He made that decision. That it now bites him in the sack is of little worry to me. I'd be quite happy were he to start blogging about, you know, science on his scienceblogs site and stop being so fucking creepy towards Abbie. But if he wants to play double-down douche, fine with me, I'll play. There are 7B people in the world. Laden or me or really anyone being gone because they couldn't take the shit they doled out is not even a trajedi, much less a tragedy. He wants this crusade, he can have alllll of it.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

[quote="Al Stefanelli"]My latest video:

(look up the vid)/quote]

Beautiful vid, my man! Beautiful.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I have no desire to push someone to the point of Stephalump. However, reading over Greg Laden's tweets and posts, yeah, there's no way this guy is anywhere near this edge (though I could be wrong). He is a sad little man attempting to flex is flaccid muscles in order to make the likes of Watson and Benson squeal. I'm sure he's accomplished this thus far so maybe would *could* back off in our honesty.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Believe it or not, I actually have a bookmark that goes straight to his book in my tabs on this computer. I use it as a reference for helping people to write and to think about what they're writing - it's a great example of "what not to do".

I think a fair number of 'pitters read the book - it was disected a month or so ago when it first came out.

astrokid.nj

Re: TasLOLma on outdated rape culture and the new gangrape c

Post by astrokid.nj »

John Brown wrote: I've been following this story for the past few days. It's quite remarkable and I believe the whole event and the aftermath speaks volumes. Rape is so abhorrent that a documented, public case of it is enough to trigger mass protests, to the point where the police are needed to gas and beat back the mob.

It seems to me that the reaction should be heartening to feminists world wide, especially since it's happening in a country which is quite literally patriarchal in nature (though not nearly as much as it was even in the recent past).

Now, imagine if it were a man not being gang raped, but brutally murdered by a gang of people on the street.

What would the reaction be to that?
I am an Indian living in the US for several years now. I saw through the feminist bullshit "historical oppression of women" narrative quite easily because of my background.. growing up in India, in simpler times in a collectivist system.. joint families and no runaway individualism. No points for guessing who absorbs all the violence (sample), who gets all the responsibilities such as providing for the family..including parents. Any shirking of responsibilities will earn you social shaming. They have even set up a law now whereby old parents can sue their children-with-means if they dont take care of parents in old age. Sure there's loads of crime, but by and large if you mess with a woman against her will, her brothers or father or white knights will bash you up.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Ed Brayton's had some heart surgery, and has now realized that his and Meyers's vanity project ain't gonna cover his down time.

I saw that and opted to just be quiet. It's over the fucking top irritating because Ed will not lose much money in the whole scheme of things. I know that my guy and I most likely make less than he and his...yet, we would never, ever feel the need to beg publicly for money. I let it go by with Greta but this is just the beggar's fucking straw. I have no compassion left for these people. And I have to say it's completely because of my own personal code of ethics. Ed and Greta just fucking stomped all over that code.

John Brown

Re: TasLOLma on outdated rape culture and the new gangrape c

Post by John Brown »

astrokid.nj wrote:
John Brown wrote: I've been following this story for the past few days. It's quite remarkable and I believe the whole event and the aftermath speaks volumes. Rape is so abhorrent that a documented, public case of it is enough to trigger mass protests, to the point where the police are needed to gas and beat back the mob.

It seems to me that the reaction should be heartening to feminists world wide, especially since it's happening in a country which is quite literally patriarchal in nature (though not nearly as much as it was even in the recent past).

Now, imagine if it were a man not being gang raped, but brutally murdered by a gang of people on the street.

What would the reaction be to that?
I am an Indian living in the US for several years now. I saw through the feminist bullshit "historical oppression of women" narrative quite easily because of my background.. growing up in India, in simpler times in a collectivist system.. joint families and no runaway individualism. No points for guessing who absorbs all the violence (sample), who gets all the responsibilities such as providing for the family..including parents. Any shirking of responsibilities will earn you social shaming. They have even set up a law now whereby old parents can sue their children-with-means if they dont take care of parents in old age. Sure there's loads of crime, but by and large if you mess with a woman against her will, her brothers or father or white knights will bash you up.
Interesting. I'll have to read through the links and rectify my ignorance on the matter. I admittedly know very little about Indian culture and was relying on "conventional wisdom" when I spoke about their "patriarchal system."

My expertise lies a bit to the northeast in China.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Ed Brayton's had some heart surgery, and has now realized that his and Meyers's vanity project ain't gonna cover his down time.

I saw that and opted to just be quiet. It's over the fucking top irritating because Ed will not lose much money in the whole scheme of things. I know that my guy and I most likely make less than he and his...yet, we would never, ever feel the need to beg publicly for money. I let it go by with Greta but this is just the beggar's fucking straw. I have no compassion left for these people. And I have to say it's completely because of my own personal code of ethics. Ed and Greta just fucking stomped all over that code.
FTB == Frequently Try Begging.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

welch wrote: I'm steadily getting to where I have no fucks to give about Justin or his fucking "cause". I didn't have a problem with him disassociating from the 'pit before, I understood why. But his latest round is coming up self-serving as fuck, and almost a bit oolonish in terms of playing both sides. He's also coming across as kind of stupid and desperate:
I think Justin has a strong need to belong. I seem to recall that he was pretty messed up before joining the military. The structure and emphasis on unit probably is really good for him and he pays it back with extreme loyalty. I suspect the same type of thing is going on with him over at FTB.

Ed Brayton was probably one of the first, if not the first, big name atheist to champion his (Justin's) cause way back in the Scienceblog days. I can see where he could have a great deal of loyalty to Ed and FTB (as Ed's brainchild.) Being told in private that the others have his back really plays off his sense of unit and loyalty. I don't think he gets that the fact that they aren't willing to say anything in public is the tell with regard to how they really feel about him and how far (not far) they'll go to support him. If he ever cottons on to that fact, it will get ugly.

Post by Guest »

welch wrote:
So you're the fat chick they'll fuck, but when anyone else is around, they don't know you. Awesome dude, way to rock the self-esteem. I guess as long as they wash their dicks after they pull out of your ass, but before they jizz on your face, it shows they really care. Okay, they call you a fat fucking cow when their friends are around, but they always lube you up before anal, so they really respect you.
OI! say what you like, but anal with fat chicks rocks!
I came for the banter and now you abuse my missus
fuck you dude fuck you.....

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

above post mine..apologies not signed in...again

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Fuck, I hate it when people fuck with blu. She's such a nice person. Just a really nice goodnatured person. She doesn't deserve that shit. Especially as it doesn't seem even fucking relevant.

I am also not super down with fucking with Laden because when people have nothing to lose they go a bit nuts and also because, well, he's now reduced to a really pathetic situation. While he's not homeless yet I'd still think of him with the same level of sympathy at this point (despite earlier being repulsed). If his behavior becomes too erratic and it looks like he's in danger of hurting himself, I think it would be good to contact someone who might be able to help him reorganise/refocus.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

i thought stef-e-lump was a smack-head in a previous life?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Aw fuck I can't help myself. From his bio:
Greg Laden was born in Albany New York and subsequently lived in the Boston area and Milwaukee and spent a total of several years in Zaire (now Congo) and South Africa.
How many years in total? Hard to say.

OKAY, I AM A HYPOCRITE, I ADMIT IT BUT FUCK. FUCK.
ReneeHendricks wrote:

I don't even understand them asking for money at this point. They live in the US, do they want people to pay for their entire surgery experience? Are they trying to avoid medical debt entirely? I kind of assumed that most people just like... accept it, work out a mortgagey style plan with their bank/whatever, and live with it... or something.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

rayshul wrote:Aw fuck I can't help myself. From his bio:
Greg Laden was born in Albany New York and subsequently lived in the Boston area and Milwaukee and spent a total of several years in Zaire (now Congo) and South Africa.
How many years in total? Hard to say.

OKAY, I AM A HYPOCRITE, I ADMIT IT BUT FUCK. FUCK.
ReneeHendricks wrote:

I don't even understand them asking for money at this point. They live in the US, do they want people to pay for their entire surgery experience? Are they trying to avoid medical debt entirely? I kind of assumed that most people just like... accept it, work out a mortgagey style plan with their bank/whatever, and live with it... or something.
I think it has more to do with "I'll be out of work and not paid so give me money to compensate". Fucking irritating beyond belief.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
rayshul wrote: don't even understand them asking for money at this point. They live in the US, do they want people to pay for their entire surgery experience? Are they trying to avoid medical debt entirely? I kind of assumed that most people just like... accept it, work out a mortgagey style plan with their bank/whatever, and live with it... or something.
I think it has more to do with "I'll be out of work and not paid so give me money to compensate". Fucking irritating beyond belief.
They all need to learn fucking saving and financial responsibility and shit.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest wrote:
welch wrote:
OI! say what you like, but anal with fat chicks rocks!
I came for the banter and now you abuse my missus
fuck you dude fuck you.....
So I said "Slap that!" and ride the ripples.
I've just got to get me gob around her greasy nipples.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

jimthepleb wrote:i thought stef-e-lump was a smack-head in a previous life?
Doubtful. Junkies tend to be skinny.

Al Stefanelli

Re: AL

Post by Al Stefanelli »

mordacious1 wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
My latest video:

Al, did you light a cigarette and then talk for 11 minutes without taking a puff? I guess that's one way of cutting back on smoking.
In fact, I did. Lmao. I smoked two afterward, just to catch up.

franc

Post by franc »

Is it just me? Go to google and search tubgirls place using the string format -

site:tuibguy.com searchterm

First I thought I picked up some browser hijacker, but I haven't - only his site barf's up this shit.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/xcu26v.jpg

Curious for someone else to try.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Shit. When I first heard about your partner's medical situation I asked if you had a Paypal account. If you took offense to that, I apologize.

Regarding Laden, "drive someone to Stephalump" should become part of the lexicon. Also, I don't think he will, as Mykeru put it, "put a bullet through his brain" because I very much doubt he's that good a shot.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

real horrorshow wrote: Which is about my position on the 'Greg Laden may be close to the edge' notion. It's also my position on Ed Brayton:
So, Black and Decker to the sternum and they are shocked to find a ton of fluid in my chest, pushing down on my heart and lungs and making my heart go into overdrive to keep oxygen in my system. They do a biopsy on the lymph nodes, clean things up, install three chest tubes and sew me back up. Sometime in the middle of the night, I ripped out my ventilator tube (I told them that better not be on my bill, I did it myself). As for what caused all of this, that’s still not certain.
IANACS*, but several things about this story don't seem quite right, or at least seem exaggerated for dramatic effect. First of all, a morbidly obese person with an unhealthy lifestyle has had "open heart surgery", lymph node biopsies, and three chest tubes placed, and is blogging away merrily just a few days later? I'd believe that a sternal window was made and fluid drained from his thorax, but I'm having trouble with the "open heart surgery" part, which I associate with coronary artery bypass, aneurysm repair, valve replacement, heart transplant, or correction of a congenital heart defect. I'm thinking sternum sawed in half, rib spreaders, heart-lung machine, the whole bloody nine yards, and I don't think that's what Ed had. Call me hyper-skeptical. Also call me a person who worked as a nurse aide on a cardiovascular floor for the pre- and post-op patients of a certain Dr. M.E. DeBakey. Patients who came back to the floor from the ICU after having open heart surgery wouldn't have been up to the task of blogging for the first few days, had such a thing existed ... I know, because I was usually the one who had to convince them and help them to sit up on the edge of the bed ("dangle") and then walk the first time post-op. All of that would have been even more difficult, complicated, and prolonged for a patient who was Ed's size.

* Cardiothoracic Surgeon

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

rayshul wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
rayshul wrote: don't even understand them asking for money at this point. They live in the US, do they want people to pay for their entire surgery experience? Are they trying to avoid medical debt entirely? I kind of assumed that most people just like... accept it, work out a mortgagey style plan with their bank/whatever, and live with it... or something.
They all need to learn fucking saving and financial responsibility and shit.
Here's what bugs the living shit out of me - my guy may very well have to deal with some awful shit. He'll still go to work nearly every day he's able. Even if he's dragging ass, feels like shit, everything hurts, he'll still go to work. People like Greta and Ed? They'd rather beg for money. And that hits me on some serious levels now.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote:Is it just me? Go to google and search tubgirls place using the string format -

site:tuibguy.com searchterm

First I thought I picked up some browser hijacker, but I haven't - only his site barf's up this shit.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/xcu26v.jpg

Curious for someone else to try.
Same for me: pharma scam sites.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gefan wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Shit. When I first heard about your partner's medical situation I asked if you had a Paypal account. If you took offense to that, I apologize.

Regarding Laden, "drive someone to Stephalump" should become part of the lexicon. Also, I don't think he will, as Mykeru put it, "put a bullet through his brain" because I very much doubt he's that good a shot.
Oh! No offense at all!! The thing is, my guy and I are used to doing things with very little, if we have to. Neither of us will look toward family or whatever for financial help. It's the way we are and the way we were brought up. I appreciate it when people offer to help, believe me. But it's very hard to take.

A similar but different take on being given funds voluntaritly - my middle daughter has received a lot of extra money recently for a little bit of her artwork and we've had to reconcile our feelings on this. She knows that the money she's received is to go to things to further her art. But, still, it's hard to reconcile. She has been working extra hard to feel as though she's earned that money.

I suppose it has to do with how one is brought up. If you have everything given to you, you almost expect it later in life. If you've worked very hard for what you have, you don't tend to ask for hand-outs.

I hope this makes sense and I want you to know that no offense at all was taken :)

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

rayshul wrote:[snip]
I am also not super down with fucking with Laden because when people have nothing to lose they go a bit nuts and also because, well, he's now reduced to a really pathetic situation. While he's not homeless yet I'd still think of him with the same level of sympathy at this point (despite earlier being repulsed). If his behavior becomes too erratic and it looks like he's in danger of hurting himself, I think it would be good to contact someone who might be able to help him reorganise/refocus.
I don't know what Laden's financial situation is. That apartment in his building was going for $829 (per month I guess), but that was a one bedroom, maybe the Laden's have one one of the larger flats. Apparently $829 is below average in his home town, which is a tough place to rent. I don't know how that compares with the US generally. His previous place looked nicer and the one before that was much nicer. So maybe he is coming down in the world.

None of that, however has anything to do with the man's mental health issues - and that's assuming he has any. Nor does it have to do with the way he behaves. Maybe he has some diagnosable condition, but I can't diagnose it. Certainly not from here. I'm left to judge by the only reliable, objective criteria I have: his conduct; the image of himself he chooses to project. From those data, I conclude he's a sack of shit. If there's reasonable insurance to provide for his NOK, I'd say his death would be a net benefit to the world.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Voluntaritly - LOL Ok, I'm off to bed. Clearly I can't type or spell at the moment :D

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote: Fuck, I hate it when people fuck with blu. She's such a nice person. Just a really nice goodnatured person. She doesn't deserve that shit. Especially as it doesn't seem even fucking relevant.
You mean the previous [now deleted] comments from JG about Maria “doxing herself”? I think JG recognized that that was a mistake and removed the statements. However, as someone else pointed out, that seems somewhat worse than useless – I likewise figure JG should have left the offending comment there and then have fallen on his sword – figuratively speaking – in apologizing for his error. But I agree with you about Maria.

However, in passing, I think that illustrates some problems with the Internet: things get published that are erroneous or open to misinterpretation, but when corrections are made some people still continue to work on the basis of that incorrect information or, in some cases, fail to retract their own erroneous statements made in consequence on that basis. Tends to cause a rapid decrease in the quality of various conversations. In particular, I’m reminded of the SPLC’s condemnation of A Voice for Men as a “hate site”, when they subsequently, more or less, retracted that. However, that hasn’t prevented many, including PZ, from continuing to use that characterization.
I am also not super down with fucking with Laden because when people have nothing to lose they go a bit nuts and also because, well, he's now reduced to a really pathetic situation. ….
Tend to agree with that as well. While Laden seems definitely to have crossed the line in the doxing department, some of the attacks against him are starting to show some similarities with bear-baiting; gratuitous savagery ….