Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:LOL! Ok, so I'm following the comments on Justin's post and apparently I'm either a fanboy or a sock puppet. Not sure how the idiot (Bob Dog) came to that conclusion!
Your comment didn't show up for a bit, so the fanboy/sockpuppet remark was actually directed at comment #2 and #3.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:LOL! Ok, so I'm following the comments on Justin's post and apparently I'm either a fanboy or a sock puppet. Not sure how the idiot (Bob Dog) came to that conclusion!
Your comment didn't show up for a bit, so the fanboy/sockpuppet remark was actually directed at comment #2 and #3.
Ah, ok. That makes much more sense. I was scratching my head over that comment. Thanks for clarifying!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:
Laden wrote:It is just that I am a very large, muscular man with martial arts training who never goes anywhere without my pit bull, and I always carry a gun. I am also famous for kicking ass, generally. Nobody will attack me.
It's possible that "gun" is Canadian slang for a large bag of donuts.
Hahaha.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Darren wrote: Are you trying to fulfil Justin's prophecy?
Mea culpa. Thing is, it's just the kind of thing I can see Greg Laden saying in all seriousness. Based as it is, ironically, on my complete inability to take him seriously.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Scented Nectar wrote:I took that tweet of his to be a jealous attack on Abbie. She's more man than he'll ever be. She DOES do martial arts, and she DOES have (a very cute and cuddly looking) pit bull. I don't know if she has a gun or not, but I suspect if they both had to walk through crime-ridden alleys and bad parts of towns, she'd come through without even a hair out of place, while Laden would be in some beaten and robbed heap before he'd get 10 feet ahead.
It does strike me that many of the Baboons don't like strong, independent women. They like their women to be victims, vulnerable waifs oppressed by teh patriarcheeee, etc. No wonder so many women find the FfTB/A+/Skepchick view of them to be patronising.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Scented Nectar wrote: I took that tweet of his to be a jealous attack on Abbie. She's more man than he'll ever be. She DOES do martial arts, and she DOES have (a very cute and cuddly looking) pit bull.
She's also female, which must seal the deal as far as Greg's concerned.

You think Greggy-boy will go the Michael Jackson route, as he did with regard to Diana Ross? Pity the poor plastic surgeon who has to go to work on Greg's sweaty noggin if that's the case, especially if said surgeon is fond of Italian food. It'd likely put him off passata for life.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

http://i.imgur.com/eaqzO.jpg

Oh, dear. Didn't Baboon George get Ophelia's message about the use of "gendered epithets"!

Re: Justin's "editing". I know if Justin edited anything of George's comments, but I would point out that editing comments is de rigeur at FfTB!

PS - I'm just off the pub. See you later.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I took that tweet of his to be a jealous attack on Abbie. She's more man than he'll ever be. She DOES do martial arts, and she DOES have (a very cute and cuddly looking) pit bull. I don't know if she has a gun or not, but I suspect if they both had to walk through crime-ridden alleys and bad parts of towns, she'd come through without even a hair out of place, while Laden would be in some beaten and robbed heap before he'd get 10 feet ahead.
It does strike me that many of the Baboons don't like strong, independent women. They like their women to be victims, vulnerable waifs oppressed by teh patriarcheeee, etc. No wonder so many women find the FfTB/A+/Skepchick view of them to be patronising.
Not even parallel logic can make them accept non-victimhood-wallowing women. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tigzy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I took that tweet of his to be a jealous attack on Abbie. She's more man than he'll ever be. She DOES do martial arts, and she DOES have (a very cute and cuddly looking) pit bull.
She's also female, which must seal the deal as far as Greg's concerned.

You think Greggy-boy will go the Michael Jackson route, as he did with regard to Diana Ross? Pity the poor plastic surgeon who has to go to work on Greg's sweaty noggin if that's the case, especially if said surgeon is fond of Italian food. It'd likely put him off passata for life.
No plastic surgeon on earth could make Laden look like Abbie. And any surgeon that would try, would probably charge triple just for having to look at his sweaty, used car salesman face. In fact, I don't think it's fair that ANYONE has to look at Laden's face. He should be made to wear a sack over his head or something when in public. Blechhh!

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Response from Justin to Tigzy....
Justin Griffith response:
This will be the only comment I let through like this.

To the anti-FTB: people I vehemently disagree that ‘all of FtB’ supports Laden. Initially, I even gave off signals that they didn’t have to publicly ‘have my back’. The only reason they may have even entertained not dropping him was because nothing like that had ever happened before, and hindsight is 20/20. You’ll never know how great Ed Brayton was to me on the phone. You’ll never know how many of the people here privately wrote to me in support. It really meant a lot to me, and you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Yeah, there are like two people here on cordial terms with him… that’s a pretty good percentage for a group of people connected only by atheism.

Several of my co-bloggers who you describe as not giving a shit about military activism have agreed to speak at military bases, or even joined the lineup at RBB2. Your premise is just wrong. When you say they don’t even care about skepticism anymore, you’re also talking about me. You’re also talking about people who never claimed to care about skepticism. Some are biblical scholars, scientists, or philosophers. Some write about sexuality and gender issues, we even have a drunken chef who likes good music. It’s not a perfect harmonious family, but what the hell did you expect?

I messed up a bit too. I pissed them off and I apologized. I also accidentally allowed people to freely shitting on my friends here. I am much better at moderating comments now. Though you didn’t say this, I want to address one last point. I don’t see why people think it’s for the $ or the hits. I donate every penny to charity / activism, and it isn’t that much.

To the anti-Justin Griffith people:Conversely, the other side of the narrative is off too. You’ll never know how many top-tier atheists wrote to me in confidence, expressing their condolences at my treatment. You’ll never know how I detested being fit into the ‘slyme pit’ narrative, appearing on their ‘body count list’ etc. Few of you will ever know the stresses of dealing with multiple credible death threats, and how an activist with my level of visibility simply has to take all of them seriously and let the FBI make the call. You likely won’t realize the extreme restraint I used, and part of me still regrets not doing so. Like I said, I wouldn’t expect somebody like Laden to fight fair, it doesn’t take a genius to ambush somebody.

If you give a shit about harassment, threats, and mental health issues like PTSD, what is your deal? Stop it.

To everyone: Do not rehash the elevator gate, or talk about why you hate RW, or shit like that. Do not respond to it if it gets by me temporarily. I’m going to heavily moderate this discussion. It is what it is. Stay only on the topic of the content of this post. Or don’t comment if you can’t hold back.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Mr_Danksworth

JG wasn't responding to me, but a poster named N_J.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tigzy wrote:This. From Greg Laden (from Justin Griffith's link):
It is just that I am a very large, muscular man with martial arts training who never goes anywhere without my pit bull, and I always carry a gun. I am also famous for kicking ass, generally. Nobody will attack me.
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/ ... ke-to-you/

Wait - what? He carries a gun everywhere? Is this the same imbecile who's been all about gun control recently?

And if he was really that tough, he wouldn't need to go anywhere with his pitbull.

What a sap.
We've dealt for a while with a crazy fucker nicknamed Davetard, who had the exact same bravado (guns and dogs and pickup and all). Another was Joe G, who gave his adress for a meet-up fight. Turns out the adress was a vacant paking lot.

Laden, the face of a thousand turds...

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tigzy wrote:@Mr_Danksworth

JG wasn't responding to me, but a poster named N_J.
Opps, my mistake. Apologies.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It seems as if Greg Laden lied about the pitbul:

http://i.imgur.com/GsB2c.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Hey! I knew there was a reason for me to still like Justin Griffith: http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... ine-rival/

For those who don't want to check the link, here's a bit from the post:
Seriously, WTF!? I don’t know much about ‘Mykeru’, and maybe he’s not a great guy. What could possibly excuse purposely leaking an actual home address of somebody you disagree with? Nothing. This is every kind of wrong.

Laden then went on to disclose Mykeru’s alleged employment information. Presumably, Greg Laden wants his twitter followers to contact Mykeru’s employers and co-workers. You know, right after some visit his (ex-wife’s old) house.

I’ve not linked directly to this information, but it’s too late to remove it from the internet. Coupled with his history of bullying, and his direct threats of violence towards me, we can safely label Laden as a serial-harasser. When he attempted to trigger my PTSD, I saw him for what he was. Initially, I had thought it was just a one-off, and perhaps he just ‘saw red’. This was the first time I did not immediately forward a threat to the FBI. He continued to harass me, encouraging my peers to join in. To their credit, most saw what was happening after a few days.
Oh, relax everyone. Greg Laden has some sort of fetish for this. I say fetish because he does the exact same thing every time and, like someone who needs, I say needs, to have feathers shoved up his urethra to orgasm, he has to do the exact same thing the same way because it's the only thing that gets him off.

A couple of points. Someone did this shit before in 2005 and they cleared me in short order because the accusation made were ludicrous, as the sort of person who would follow through on an internet fight by whining to an employer already has a deficit in the how-thing-work department.

No one cares what I do in my spare time. What's more, our computers at work are locked down and simply will not run the software or support links to do what I do. So it's not a question or resources. When my home computer died that put me on hiatus with YouTube videos, as I do them from home using specialize programs not found in my work, and I'm still trying to get up to speed with that using a new computer and different software.

Greg Laden does this because he's got nothing, so before everyone goes off in OMFG mode, let's not distract from the important issue here, which is making fun of the gross impotence of Greg Laden and the fact that the only thing he brings to the discussion is crazy and his empty nut-sack.

I predict nothing will come of this. Why? Because they only one Greg Laden has on his side is Greg Laden and a handful of documented nut-cases who are spiraling down the toilet anyway.

I'm not defending against the attacks of Greg Laden, because you can't even elevate them to that level. What I'm doing is watching some twit engaging in the automaton-like behavior of a serial ass-hat.

There's an old axiom of rhetoric (sophism, really) called The Loser's Rule. It really is. Anyway, the way the Loser's Rule works is that someone in a losing position will try to expand the scope of debate to various irrelevant issues in a desperate attempt to change the subject or generally get some traction as they go off the cliff. This explains every dumb fight you've ever had with a SO who didn't fight fair. People who are winning an argument will keep punching away at the same point and have no reason to introduce things irrelevant to the now winning strategy. The FTB in general and Laden in particular are going to be upping their doubling down on the loser's rule.

Don't fall for it. At worst, Laden et. al can keep the argument going, at best, someone will get so thoroughly pissed off at their underhanded and nasty tactics and write something that will allow them to play OMFG VICTIM!, claim they are harassed and oppressed and generally distract from the mantle of shitty human beings they wear.

Keep it light, keep it fun, do it for the lulz. When you get too appalled at what a meaningless shit Laden is, you might accidentally start taking him seriously, which is never justifiable.

Fuck them. They have nothing I fear. Their tactics are, well, sad and the only antidote to them is more mockery.
Zenspace wrote:Mykeru - I am a HUGE fan (albeit a quiet one) of your recent youtube video work. Really impressive stuff. That said, your post really elevated my (already high) opinion of you by several notches. Such honesty in a split relationship (been there, done that) is a rare bird indeed. Beautifully expressed.
Thank you so much. I really am trying to get out a new one for the New Year. It's a pain in the ass trying to start from scratch and frustrating to figure out how to do stuff in new programs that I could do in my sleep.

Oh man, I have not yet begun to make fun of these clowns.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

I am much better at moderating comments now.
If he means editing commenters' posts, he must have learned a thing or two from Crommunist and that PZ Myers clone. It is not okay.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Are there no depths to which crazy ol' Greg will sink? He's now making noises about posting a letter from JG's stalker:
Greg Laden Greg Laden ‏@gregladen

.@bynkii @RichSandersen What I should post is the email from the woman Justin had the affair with who is suing him. Its very amusing.
https://twitter.com/gregladen/status/282956197190049792

(tweet has been screencapped for posterity, btw.)

Darren

Post by Darren »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Response from Justin to Tigzy....

You’ll never know how great Ed Brayton was to me on the phone. You’ll never know how many of the people here privately wrote to me in support. It really meant a lot to me, and you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Yeah, there are like two people here on cordial terms with him… that’s a pretty good percentage for a group of people connected only by atheism.
Then why don't some of these pricks make a public stand against shit like this? Sorry, Justin, but I don't care how great these people are behind the scenes where no-one else can here them.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Also, whats the deal with commenter "George" on JG's blog? Is he posting upsidedown and in Esperanto himself, or is JG going the PZ route and editing comments?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Darren wrote:Also, whats the deal with commenter "George" on JG's blog? Is he posting upsidedown and in Esperanto himself, or is JG going the PZ route and editing comments?
Alas yes. George may be a complete nitwit, but JG's doing himself no favours in editing his comments. I have to wonder if George's posts really are so absurd and stupid, then what's the problem with just letting them stand on their own lack of merit?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:Are there no depths to which crazy ol' Greg will sink? He's now making noises about posting a letter from JG's stalker:
Greg Laden Greg Laden ‏@gregladen

.@bynkii @RichSandersen What I should post is the email from the woman Justin had the affair with who is suing him. Its very amusing.
https://twitter.com/gregladen/status/282956197190049792

(tweet has been screencapped for posterity, btw.)
At least Grag Laden is world class at something - he's a world class cunt.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Darren wrote:Also, whats the deal with commenter "George" on JG's blog? Is he posting upsidedown and in Esperanto himself, or is JG going the PZ route and editing comments?
Seems to be a very rare but not unseen glitch on the comment system there where comments are backward. Only internet knows...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Lsuoma

Yeah, but Greg being Greg, there's at least a lot of lulz to be gained from his cuntishness. I mean, he always finds a way to cock it up somehow - I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally posted the love-letters he received from Steffy instead.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I feel sad for Greg Laden's vanity press book on Amazon. It only has one review. Someone should show Greg Some love:

http://goo.gl/dCHs2

And no discussions about Greg Laden either. What a world...

windy

Post by windy »

Gefan wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:From Laden's blog:
So when the Slime Pitters or their kind, or the regulars over on Whats Up With That blog, take my comments out of context and attempt to bludgeon me with them, lie about what I’ve said or done, or threaten to kill me with their favorite Glock, it is something I’m a little used to.
We all just got lumped in with "What's Up With That"?

Ouch.

Low blow.
Normally I would agree, but since Laden, Myers et al have lately come out in favor of the idea that one doesn't need credentials or expertise to 'critique' and ridicule an entire field of science, I don't know why they object to Watt's Up With That.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Tigzy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally posted the love-letters he received from Steffy instead.
http://i.imgur.com/iXPqU.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

windy wrote:
Gefan wrote:
So when the Slime Pitters or their kind, or the regulars over on Whats Up With That blog, take my comments out of context and attempt to bludgeon me with them, lie about what I’ve said or done, or threaten to kill me with their favorite Glock, it is something I’m a little used to.
We all just got lumped in with "What's Up With That"?

Ouch.

Low blow.
Normally I would agree, but since Laden, Myers et al have lately come out in favor of the idea that one doesn't need credentials or expertise to 'critique' and ridicule an entire field of science, I don't know why they object to Watt's Up With That.
Yes, no doubt someone who was serious about killing Laden would make sure to give detailed advanced notice down to the make and model of the gun they are going to use. I think it's in the "obligatory villain's monologue provision".

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

People are taking Laden seriously?
I was unaware.
At present I am wrestling with my conscience (look it up, Baboons) as to whether we are picking on someone with serious mental problems. Oolon fits into the same category.
BTW, Oolon? Tell Gary Glitter we said; "Hi".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

No mental problems. Delusions of grandeur, eventually.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Darren wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Response from Justin to Tigzy....

You’ll never know how great Ed Brayton was to me on the phone. You’ll never know how many of the people here privately wrote to me in support. It really meant a lot to me, and you don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Yeah, there are like two people here on cordial terms with him… that’s a pretty good percentage for a group of people connected only by atheism.
Then why don't some of these pricks make a public stand against shit like this? Sorry, Justin, but I don't care how great these people are behind the scenes where no-one else can here them.
Apart from the obvious Stephalump who is the other FTBer who's "on cordial terms" with Laden? Could it be PeeZed? The guy who wont give Justin the time of day but who is still going to be a guest at the atheism event he's organising? I've said it before, I have real trouble understanding Justin's childlike clinging to the FTB crowd in light of his - apparent - courage in other areas. It's like watching a battered child defend their abusive parent. My pity is rather souring into contempt.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Mykeru wrote:
Yes, no doubt someone who was serious about killing Laden would make sure to give detailed advanced notice down to the make and model of the gun they are going to use. I think it's in the "obligatory villain's monologue provision".
Coincidentally, the same model as one of the guns used in the Newtown. If a slymepitter had made threats like that to Laden, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

It wouldn't surprise me if angry people had written stupid e-mails to Laden - he does admit he provokes people, and by sheer dumb luck alone some percentage of those will be angry people - but I would bet he is embellishing both the origin and the content of those e-mails quite a bit.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

real horrorshow said:
Apart from the obvious Stephalump who is the other FTBer who's "on cordial terms" with Laden? Could it be PeeZed?
It is almost certainly Jason Lousy Canuck Toiletbowl. Toiletbowl has, in the past, posted many comments about his "deep admiration", and that's an actual quote, not sarcasm, for "his very good friend, Greg Laden", and other comments about travelling down to the States and getting together for dinnner and drinks with his "very good friends Greg Laden and Stephanie Zvan". Toiletbowl is a sad little Laden wannabee. Lord knows why.
[watching Griffith] It's like watching a battered child defend their abusive parent.
Ya, that's the feeling I get too.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Apart from the obvious Stephalump who is the other FTBer who's "on cordial terms" with Laden? Could it be PeeZed? The guy who wont give Justin the time of day but who is still going to be a guest at the atheism event he's organising? I've said it before, I have real trouble understanding Justin's childlike clinging to the FTB crowd in light of his - apparent - courage in other areas. It's like watching a battered child defend their abusive parent. My pity is rather souring into contempt.
It brings to mind those claims that you aren't arguing honestly when you give a perfectly reasonable interpretation to a 'boon. I'm minded to think that they aren't being deliberately evasive, as a rule, but have internalised the official 'boon press release on the issue at hand and can't conceive of it being less than kosher. Griffiths is a big boy. If he can't be bothered to look behind smears and Lepine comparisons before mouthing off then he can go fuck himself, but gently though.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

RealHorrorShow:
I've said it before, I have real trouble understanding Justin's childlike clinging to the FTB crowd in light of his - apparent - courage in other areas. It's like watching a battered child defend their abusive parent. My pity is rather souring into contempt.
Maybe JG is honestly getting support from the Babs, in which case he has to explain his lack of acknowledgement of the abuse his buds are dishing out. I note that in his Laden post he absolves his mates from blame because they couldn't have foreseen Laden's shittiness toward him. Bullshit! It's not as if Laden doesn't have form. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't invocation of Laden's name bring the spit response amongst his fellow bloggers before the EG thing gave him an opportunity to showcase his talents. JG's showing signs of the 'it's OK when he does it to others' syndrome. And if he complains that his words are being twisted, he can always behave like a adult and discuss that on an even playing field, if his BFFs will let him.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Spence wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if angry people had written stupid e-mails to Laden -
More than likely he is just making up whatever covering bullshit his narrative demands. Like Rebecca Watson he uses contrived victim status as a means to continue being abusive.

Fuck, it's right out of the narcissist/sociopath playbook. Corner one of them and the first thing they do is appeal to pity. It's as if they are trying to accrue pity capital.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Griffiths is a big boy. If he can't be bothered to look behind smears and Lepine comparisons before mouthing off then he can go fuck himself, but gently though.
My stance is that it is his problem not mine. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink etc. etc. etc.

*shrug*

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Got Laden's Amazon book down from five stars to three: http://goo.gl/RbbDY

Look, these fuckers are grifters and narcissists. The only way to hurt them is in the over-blown self-esteem or the wallet.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

My latest video:

An Atheist Cult: Those Radicals From Freethought Blogs, Atheism Plus, Etc.

[youtube]fTpHj3HvVC4[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Not going to get past moderation, not a chance, but I'm still posting it here anyway:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1070/justinpg.jpg

Justin isn't in my view a NMD (not yet, anyway) so you'll excuse the overly cordial tone.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Mykeru wrote:Got Laden's Amazon book down from five stars to three: http://goo.gl/RbbDY

Look, these fuckers are grifters and narcissists. The only way to hurt them is in the over-blown self-esteem or the wallet.
:lol: I can just see Greg's puffy little face light up on seeing an email notification that his book has garnered another review. "Oh wow," he'll no doubt think as he rushes to see it. "I hope it's good or at least not a bad on - oh."

By the way, that favourable review of Greg's book by Gareth Renowden was probably the result of a 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' thing, owing to the fact that Greg posted a favourable review of Renowden's book 'The Aviator' in October: http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev ... centReview

Spence

Post by Spence »

Does anyone recall the full story that Justin G refers to regarding Maria (blu)? He claims Maria doxxed herself using a post by SGBM to support his claim. Now I know SGBM ran the pharyngula wikia, so he would have some info on this. But SGBM is at least half-baboon, and although he can think a bit better than the average baboon, he is usually up for spinning the story in a way that is shallow and deceitful. In other words, I'd like more than SGBM's side of the story.

I remember Laden posting up some pretty nasty shit about blu from facebook onto his blog, but ultimately taking it down after even the baboons criticised him for it. But I think that was a different incident.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Spence wrote:Does anyone recall the full story that Justin G refers to regarding Maria (blu)? He claims Maria doxxed herself using a post by SGBM to support his claim. Now I know SGBM ran the pharyngula wikia, so he would have some info on this. But SGBM is at least half-baboon, and although he can think a bit better than the average baboon, he is usually up for spinning the story in a way that is shallow and deceitful. In other words, I'd like more than SGBM's side of the story.

I remember Laden posting up some pretty nasty shit about blu from facebook onto his blog, but ultimately taking it down after even the baboons criticised him for it. But I think that was a different incident.
Justin linked to it in his post at Rock Beyond Belief (the one that's currently being discussed here).

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ha-haaa - Greg's book has just garnered another review. One which ends with this pretty devastating line:
Hopefully Mr Laden has another occupation since writing will most certainly not pay his bills.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R8 ... =sundugodo

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

FFS Greg "...from it's beginnings..."

Punker

Post by Punker »

I hope that the people posting these book reviews have actually read the book

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Punker

I've read a Kindle sample of it. Those two 1 star reviews are pretty accurate. It's a genuinely dire piece of work.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Skep tickle wrote:Justin linked to it in his post at Rock Beyond Belief (the one that's currently being discussed here).
Justin linked to SGBM's claim, which is far from the full story. Unfortunately, the full story is difficult to glean from the comments, because there was a whole bunch of stuff going down at the time. Which is why I'm trying to find out if anyone remembers it at the time. I think John Welch and Justicar have commented on it quite a bit from time to time.

SGBM is referring to the pharyngula wikia. While SGBM claims Maria did add some personal information - and as admin he would be in a position to know this - but he does not claim Maria added her home address, and furthermore this was after other things had already been written - of course all this is now memory-holed. Also, I thought the original doxxing happened at Laden's blog (also memory holed), not the wikia.

It's way more complicated than Justin makes it out to be. Although Maria can react in a provocative way sometimes (e.g. she had a strange one-sided falling out with Phil), my recollection is quite different to Justin's. But my recollection may not be completely correct, so I'm trying to see if anyone can fill in some of the gaps.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Punker wrote:I hope that the people posting these book reviews have actually read the book

I did read a Kindle sample of it before I wrote my review but I didn't read the whole book. Based on the sample I think my review is reasonable.I can't see the full version of the book being any better.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Tigzy wrote:@Punker

I've read a Kindle sample of it. Those two 1 star reviews are pretty accurate. It's a genuinely dire piece of work.
Schadenfreude got the better of me, and I decided to read the preview available online. I've read this snippet 5 times now, and I canna make heads or tales of it:
They could not know it at the time, but while there was no reason for them to hear this story, Mallows felt a strong need to tell it. He needed to tell it now because he knew a punctuation event was about to occur, and this story would be that one perfect paragraph to be so ended.
Is English Greg's native tongue? Hard to say.

Spence

Post by Spence »

The funniest review is the five-star one:
Greg Laden is one of the most accomplished and prolific science bloggers around.
Priceless.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Holy crap, it gets better:
In his book, Greg Laden wrote:It was a dark and stormy night. That was normal, since it was night so the sun was down, and it was the rainforest so it was raining.
LOLOLOLOL...

astrokid.nj

TasLOLma on outdated rape culture and the new gangrape cultu

Post by astrokid.nj »

TasLOLma is my favourite FTB blogger. Anytime I am feeling down, I just head over to TasLOLma for some laughs, and all is well in the world once again.
India blames women for being raped. India asks women not to get raped. India does not teach men not to rape. Misogyny is deep rooted in Indian society. Most Indians believe rape is about sex. They do not know that rape is not about sex, rape is about violence and violence is about pain. Men are attracted to “masculinity”. Masculinity teaches men to get pleasure by causing pain. They know humans are violent by nature. That’s all. But they don’t want to know humans are also adaptable, which allows human species to survive.
Obviously, men’s rights activists are more powerful and influential than feminists or women’s rights activists in India.
The truth is, women can’t stop rape. Men have to stop rape. Men have more power. They should be responsible for their own acts and behaviour. Yesterday I asked my cat how to stop rape. She gave me a straight answer, ‘men must stop raping’. Even cats know the simple fact that men must stop raping to end rape.
The woman in Delhi was not raped, but gangraped. Rape is now an outdated thing. Media is not anymore interested in rape. They are interested in gangrape. If you are not gangraped, none will come to help you. Rape culture of urban India has been replaced by gangrape culture

John Brown

Re: TasLOLma on outdated rape culture and the new gangrape c

Post by John Brown »

astrokid.nj wrote:TasLOLma is my favourite FTB blogger. Anytime I am feeling down, I just head over to TasLOLma for some laughs, and all is well in the world once again.
India blames women for being raped. India asks women not to get raped. India does not teach men not to rape. Misogyny is deep rooted in Indian society. Most Indians believe rape is about sex. They do not know that rape is not about sex, rape is about violence and violence is about pain. Men are attracted to “masculinity”. Masculinity teaches men to get pleasure by causing pain. They know humans are violent by nature. That’s all. But they don’t want to know humans are also adaptable, which allows human species to survive.
Obviously, men’s rights activists are more powerful and influential than feminists or women’s rights activists in India.
The truth is, women can’t stop rape. Men have to stop rape. Men have more power. They should be responsible for their own acts and behaviour. Yesterday I asked my cat how to stop rape. She gave me a straight answer, ‘men must stop raping’. Even cats know the simple fact that men must stop raping to end rape.
The woman in Delhi was not raped, but gangraped. Rape is now an outdated thing. Media is not anymore interested in rape. They are interested in gangrape. If you are not gangraped, none will come to help you. Rape culture of urban India has been replaced by gangrape culture
I've been following this story for the past few days. It's quite remarkable and I believe the whole event and the aftermath speaks volumes. Rape is so abhorrent that a documented, public case of it is enough to trigger mass protests, to the point where the police are needed to gas and beat back the mob.

It seems to me that the reaction should be heartening to feminists world wide, especially since it's happening in a country which is quite literally patriarchal in nature (though not nearly as much as it was even in the recent past).

Now, imagine if it were a man not being gang raped, but brutally murdered by a gang of people on the street.

What would the reaction be to that?

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

Dan wrote:
Punker wrote:I hope that the people posting these book reviews have actually read the book

I did read a Kindle sample of it before I wrote my review but I didn't read the whole book. Based on the sample I think my review is reasonable.I can't see the full version of the book being any better.
Someone's just been on and down-voted the 2 negative reviews (or marked them unhelpful or whatever the schtick is over there). Are we going to have another Urban Dictionary social justice activism effort on our hands?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

I apologize in advance for exceeding my non-existant seniority around here but maybe it's time we all back away from Greg Laden.
I don't know that much about him but he seems to be (a) increasingly emotionally fragile and (b) rendered harmless by his own sheer ineptitude. How far does someone's life have to progress down the crapper for them to start pining for the Stephalump for fuck's sake?
I don't know what the end-game is here and I don't have any desire to drive him to suicide. Aside from anything else, I'd miss the entertainment.

And, because I can't be bothered to do it myself, whoever wants to post the inevitable, Chris Crocker "Leave Greg Alone" picture, you have my blessing.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Darren wrote: Then why don't some of these pricks make a public stand against shit like this? Sorry, Justin, but I don't care how great these people are behind the scenes where no-one else can here them.
I know quite a few people who remain silent about the 'issues' online. However, they are watching, and seeing things for what they are. They are the silent majority. I think the time is coming that they will stand up and be counted. Everyone is sick of the FTB bullshit.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gefan wrote:I don't know what the end-game is here and I don't have any desire to drive him to suicide. Aside from anything else, I'd miss the entertainment.
Relax, I don't think Greggy is going anywhere anytime soon. Nanny Ophie is much closer to a breakdown in my non-expert opinion.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Darren wrote: Then why don't some of these pricks make a public stand against shit like this? Sorry, Justin, but I don't care how great these people are behind the scenes where no-one else can here them.
I know quite a few people who remain silent about the 'issues' online. However, they are watching, and seeing things for what they are. They are the silent majority. I think the time is coming that they will stand up and be counted. Everyone is sick of the FTB bullshit.
I'm not talking about your average Joe or Jane - I can understand why these people want to stay out of it. It's these bloggers at FtB who, supposedly, are on Justin's side, yet do nothing to object to the tyranny of the FC5. In fact, I don't understand why Justin doesn't just pack his bags and leave given how PZ is treating him.

Reap

Post by Reap »

I am here to get my orders from Abbie... I can not function unless she directs me.......I want to pee on greg ladens face but can not do so until I have permission from Abbie.....I must do her bidding......BTW Greg Laden is a bright as a dried up pea and half as witty