Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
SPACKlick

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by SPACKlick »

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote: Those crystals actually have some real physics and philosophy behind them – you might want to consider following a link or two before making up your mind – unless it’s totally closed off ….
GO HOME STEERS! YOU'RE DRUNK!
Certainly not on alcohol ....
No, homeopathic alcahol, you see the water in your body once had some booze in it and got shaken up and now it's so dilute you're practically killing your liver with the water you drink...

Crystals? Really? Fuck off Steers.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

SPACKlick wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Steersman said: Those crystals actually have some real physics and philosophy behind them – you might want to consider following a link or two before making up your mind – unless it’s totally closed off ….
No, homeopathic alcahol, you see the water in your body once had some booze in it and got shaken up and now it's so dilute you're practically killing your liver with the water you drink...

Crystals? Really?
Entirely different type of crystals. But I suppose you never even bothered to click the link to the Wikipedia article to confirm that – “don’t confuse me with facts; my mind is made up”?
Fuck off Steers
After you, Alphonse ….

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Steersman wrote:
Fuck off Steers
After you, Alphonse ….
Eh, doxxing, now?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Fuck off Steers
After you, Alphonse ….
Eh, doxxing, now?
Nope – at least I assume not. Just an old cartoon reference, and probably not a well known one ….

Reap

Post by Reap »

Pitchguest wrote:Guess who still insists the Slymepit "doxxed" him?

Our good old pal, Brownian (or Anthony K as he's called now)
I’m so glad to read that Jay, because I feel the same way. Slymepit fuckers have lied about and doxxed me.

As far as I’m concerned, you ass-sucking fuckers get everything coming your way.
In response to this from Jay,
You may dislike what welch does, but his attack is logical: it’s called, disagreeing with your assumptions and refusing to play your game.

Whether it’s dems/repubs, evolution/creationist, atheist/religious, or now Atheism+/Atheists, it’s been shown over and over the two sides cannot have fair intellectual arguments on the net.

The instant one of you disemvowel, moderate, delete, alter, ban what others have to say, well, you deserve all the heap of shit people can heap on you.

And you make it worse, with the encouragement of your commenters to pile on.

And that’s long after you folks couldn’t even argue with intellectual honesty or acknowledge truthfully what others have to say or what their positions are.

So, your cries of victimhood are like what? What’s the metaphor Stephanie? Oh something like tears I drink from.
Brownian, Anthony, whatever, let me make this absolutely clear: NOBODY "DOXXED" YOU. Nobody! If someone should have that "honour" (and we know someone needs to be responsible), it would be yourself, you fucking dumb shit, for broadcasting your real name on EVERY SINGLE SOCIAL NETWORK YOU SUBSCRIBED TO!

You used the name "Brownian" on multiple occasions, so anyone would able to find it in seconds! Seconds! You literally would just have to make a Google search for "Brownian" and "Pharyngula". We have PROOF, you fucking idiot! Facebook, Twitter, ATHEIST FUCKING NEXUS! Linking back to Pharyngula, mentioning Pharyngula by name several times. You would have to be retarded to NOT make the connection.

Wait, I'm sorry. "Retarded" is one of the bad words you don't like. Let me rephrase: you would have to be RETARDED to not make the connection.

Same thing when Surly broadcasted her FULL ADRESS applied to her BUSINESS. Who does that? To prevent stalkers and unsavory types from finding me, I'll just paint a nice shining sponsored by Surlyramics TARGET on my back. That'll keep them at bay! Pardon if I won't hide the atomic facepalm I'm now exhibiting. Not such a good idea to channel the queen of hurt fee fees, now is it, Brownian, old buddy, old pal?
Pitchguest..sometimes I think I may love you

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Steersman wrote: Taking due cognizance of sacha’s recent reposting of an amusing video on the question, one can’t help but think that the phenomenon of emergence tends to support the argument for dualism. Although, as with other related discussions, the waters tend to get muddied by questions as to what is meant by various terms.
The idea that the mind is more than its constituent parts is not the same as dualism.
Dualism says that mind is seperate from the brain.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Steersman wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Steersman wrote: "Phil_Giordana_FCD" said "
Steersman said: Those crystals actually have some real physics and philosophy behind them – you might want to consider following a link or two before making up your mind – unless it’s totally closed off ….

Crystals? Really?

Entirely different type of crystals. But I suppose you never even bothered to click the link to the Wikipedia article to confirm that – “don’t confuse me with facts; my mind is made up”?

What Fucking Link?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Steersman wrote: Taking due cognizance of sacha’s recent reposting of an amusing video on the question, one can’t help but think that the phenomenon of emergence tends to support the argument for dualism. Although, as with other related discussions, the waters tend to get muddied by questions as to what is meant by various terms.
The idea that the mind is more than its constituent parts is not the same as dualism.
Dualism says that mind is seperate from the brain.
You might be right – I don’t know enough about emergence to say for sure, but my impression is that what emerges can be autonomous entities that are entirely different from what it emerges out of.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

SPACKlick wrote:
Steersman wrote:
SPACKlick wrote: ...

Crystals? Really?
What Fucking Link?
Obviously then you never followed the link from which I quoted the phrase that referred to crystals. But here they are again, the first one to Wikipedia should work, the second seems iffy depending, maybe, on your browser:

Supposedly a very good example of that is the phonon; you might be interested in this article on the topic which argues:
For example, when a large number of atoms condense into a crystal, the phonon, the elementary quantum of sound, becomes a perfectly legitimate particle at low energy scales. It propagates freely, does not decay, interacts by simple rules that can be verified experimentally, carries momentum and energy relative to wavelength and frequency, and mediates the attractive interaction responsible for conventional superconductivity.
[time call it a day; or a kalpa as the case may be]
 

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Ah right, I read the link on Phonons, I skimmed the article on reduction and emeregence and it became clear from your posts, you're talking out the wrong end.

welch

Post by welch »

Reap wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Guess who still insists the Slymepit "doxxed" him?

Our good old pal, Brownian (or Anthony K as he's called now)
I’m so glad to read that Jay, because I feel the same way. Slymepit fuckers have lied about and doxxed me.

As far as I’m concerned, you ass-sucking fuckers get everything coming your way.
In response to this from Jay,
You may dislike what welch does, but his attack is logical: it’s called, disagreeing with your assumptions and refusing to play your game.

Whether it’s dems/repubs, evolution/creationist, atheist/religious, or now Atheism+/Atheists, it’s been shown over and over the two sides cannot have fair intellectual arguments on the net.

The instant one of you disemvowel, moderate, delete, alter, ban what others have to say, well, you deserve all the heap of shit people can heap on you.

And you make it worse, with the encouragement of your commenters to pile on.

And that’s long after you folks couldn’t even argue with intellectual honesty or acknowledge truthfully what others have to say or what their positions are.

So, your cries of victimhood are like what? What’s the metaphor Stephanie? Oh something like tears I drink from.
Brownian, Anthony, whatever, let me make this absolutely clear: NOBODY "DOXXED" YOU. Nobody! If someone should have that "honour" (and we know someone needs to be responsible), it would be yourself, you fucking dumb shit, for broadcasting your real name on EVERY SINGLE SOCIAL NETWORK YOU SUBSCRIBED TO!

You used the name "Brownian" on multiple occasions, so anyone would able to find it in seconds! Seconds! You literally would just have to make a Google search for "Brownian" and "Pharyngula". We have PROOF, you fucking idiot! Facebook, Twitter, ATHEIST FUCKING NEXUS! Linking back to Pharyngula, mentioning Pharyngula by name several times. You would have to be retarded to NOT make the connection.

Wait, I'm sorry. "Retarded" is one of the bad words you don't like. Let me rephrase: you would have to be RETARDED to not make the connection.

Same thing when Surly broadcasted her FULL ADRESS applied to her BUSINESS. Who does that? To prevent stalkers and unsavory types from finding me, I'll just paint a nice shining sponsored by Surlyramics TARGET on my back. That'll keep them at bay! Pardon if I won't hide the atomic facepalm I'm now exhibiting. Not such a good idea to channel the queen of hurt fee fees, now is it, Brownian, old buddy, old pal?
Pitchguest..sometimes I think I may love you

LOL

But, again, we see the trick. Take a word with a fairly well-understood meaning, like, oh, misogyny, and redefine it until it now means pretty much whatever the fuck you want it to, and then use it to club people with.

Left your name tied to your 'nym all over the internet and someone noticed?

OMG DOXXING.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yeah, but it's not even like somebody just noticed. First he had to prance around in front of his mates acting as if people were just too stupid to find out that easily accessible information.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

While you were sleeping, Ophelia:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... b40938.png

In other news, I'm sorely disappointed that the world does not appear to be ending.

No, wait, I'm just sore.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

it's now the day after the end of the world in kiribati and Norfolk island, no reports of disaster.

Keating

Post by Keating »

SPACKlick wrote:it's now the day after the end of the world in kiribati and Norfolk island, no reports of disaster.
That's because we're all dead, duh.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Probably on crystals, then.
[youtube]_k1nvmVzayc[/youtube]

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

SPACKlick wrote:it's now the day after the end of the world in kiribati and Norfolk island, no reports of disaster.
Ah, but when the world does end, it will have ended on 21 December 2012, retroactively. Because the Mayans are magic.

This is also why Elevatorgate seems to linger on. While it happened last year, it will actually have happened last year at some point still in our future. The current bullshit is the ripples of the event travelling backwards though time to the point where it will have happened.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

rayshul wrote:I just googled brownian and pharyngula. His full name does come up as the first result but he seems to have deleted it... if he's reading the 'pit and wants to avoid it coming up, you could try to ask google to reindex that page? Hope that helps...
Brownian and Surly have been demonstrating text book cases of the "Streisand effect".
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I had absolutely 0 interest in Surly for example until I saw her bleating over and over again about how she was doxed and absolutely terrified. So she got me interested. Was she living in a private home with no burglar alarm? Was she living in a bad part of town? Why would anyone keep on whining about being in danger? So I looked. It was so laughable I could not resist showing how easy it was and how utterly laughable her complaints were. To the point where Lsuoma had to remove a "lmgtfy" string (With my blessing).

I still have 0 interest in Brownian. I have no interest in whoever this guy is, but if he keeps it up maybe I should go look eh?

That's the point of the Streisand effect isn't it? The more you bleat and try to suppress the more interesting this forbidden knowledge becomes. The moment a book is banned is when sales take off of the book. (Catcher in the Rye, Lady Chatterly's lover, The Santanic verses) It's far better to simply ignore and it simply fades away.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Probably on crystals, then.
<youtube>
No way ... can't be meth-heads, they still have teeth.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dilurk wrote:So she got me interested. Was she living in a private home with no burglar alarm? Was she living in a bad part of town? Why would anyone keep on whining about being in danger?
It's a variety of adult Attention Deficit Disorder characterized by the inability to garner sufficient attention for oneself.

Maybe we should start a walk-a-thon.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

The world may not end until I eat my birthday cake, those bastard Mayans trying to ruin my birthday. It's bad enough having a birthday so close to christmas (my mom would say, "Just open one of your xmas presents early". I had to explain to the spousal unit why I didn't want my B-day presents wrapped in christmas wrap. Grrr.

But enough about me, I hope no one's world ends today.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dilurk wrote:So she got me interested. Was she living in a private home with no burglar alarm? Was she living in a bad part of town? Why would anyone keep on whining about being in danger?
It's a variety of adult Attention Deficit Disorder characterized by the inability to garner sufficient attention for oneself.
True that. Just think of all the free advertising she got for her business. "Help! I'm being doxed!" Resulting in pity buying "I'm going to help that poor oppressed girl!". It could have even been planned. I bet she is laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe that was where she used to live shortly before she moved and she has since re-registered at a PO box eh?
Maybe we should start a walk-a-thon.
That would be giving these people too much attention.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

mordacious1 wrote:The world may not end until I eat my birthday cake, those bastard Mayans trying to ruin my birthday. It's bad enough having a birthday so close to christmas (my mom would say, "Just open one of your xmas presents early". I had to explain to the spousal unit why I didn't want my B-day presents wrapped in christmas wrap. Grrr.

Happy fucking birthday! You just destroyed the world. Well done, you prick!

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote: How to make NMDs flip the fuck out:

1) point out how they manufacture bullshit to get attention.
2) see 1)

And as my AMB cohort and I have discussed, damn but atheists/skeptics are some thin-skinned motherfuckers.
Scoble could take these derps in a slap-fight.

franc

Atheism+ have a new hideout

Post by franc »

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Skep tickle wrote:Renee, have just caught up over the last 6 pages, sorry to hear about this lymphoma scare, hopefully it's just a false alarm, indeed a needle biopsy typically does not provide enough info for diagnosis (the pathologists like to see the "architecture" of the lymph node, though these days flow cytometry can also provide useful info). There's a very wide range of behavior of lymphomas. The aggressive ones (high-grade) are scary & dangerous but can respond very well to treatment. The slow-growing ones (low-grade) can mosey along for years or even decades but (typically) can't be cured. I hope you can get more information soon, though the holiday may put a bit of a wrench into that.
We were hoping to get more information sooner rather than later as well. But it seems we'll be waiting until possibly just after the holidays for that detailed info. It's funny. His throat wasn't bothering him at all until they started poking around. Now he says it feels like he has a cold/flu and it's gathered in his throat. Thanks for the info!

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote: How to make NMDs flip the fuck out:

1) point out how they manufacture bullshit to get attention.
2) see 1)

And as my AMB cohort and I have discussed, damn but atheists/skeptics are some thin-skinned motherfuckers.
Scoble could take these derps in a slap-fight.
Oh dear lord, I think he'd be howling at what they call "abuse". He's caught more shit over a single post than FTB catches in a year en masse. Fuck, I've gotten more actual threats than those tools have.

I seriously, seriously wonder how they survive their morning piss.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

mordacious1 wrote:The world may not end until I eat my birthday cake, those bastard Mayans trying to ruin my birthday. It's bad enough having a birthday so close to christmas (my mom would say, "Just open one of your xmas presents early". I had to explain to the spousal unit why I didn't want my B-day presents wrapped in christmas wrap. Grrr.

[youtube]yIfzIOPpKsI[/youtube]

acathode

Post by acathode »

Dilurk wrote:Brownian and Surly have been demonstrating text book cases of the "Streisand effect".

I had absolutely 0 interest in Surly for example until I saw her bleating over and over again about how she was doxed and absolutely terrified. So she got me interested. Was she living in a private home with no burglar alarm? Was she living in a bad part of town? Why would anyone keep on whining about being in danger? So I looked. It was so laughable I could not resist showing how easy it was and how utterly laughable her complaints were. To the point where Lsuoma had to remove a "lmgtfy" string (With my blessing).

I still have 0 interest in Brownian. I have no interest in whoever this guy is, but if he keeps it up maybe I should go look eh?

That's the point of the Streisand effect isn't it? The more you bleat and try to suppress the more interesting this forbidden knowledge becomes. The moment a book is banned is when sales take off of the book. (Catcher in the Rye, Lady Chatterly's lover, The Santanic verses) It's far better to simply ignore and it simply fades away.
isn't the Streisand effect exactly what they want? They crave the attention they get whenever they play the victim card, and so what if someone bothers checking up their name or address? They know perfectly fine that they are in no real danger from anyone, so playing the victim card to get "community cred" and to sell their "art" is completely risk free. Hell, if they become really good at it, they might even be able to become a "personality" and get flown around to speaking gigs where they can talk about themselves, just as a certain blue-haired blob managed to do.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I see Greta has turned up on Svans thread to add a contribution to the pyre.

Was there an earlier version of Welsh's blog post because I can't find the second, and most damaging quote that she seems to have found.

http://i.imgur.com/qzOMo.jpg

It can't be that she simply made it up herself and is lying through her teeth about Welsh saying that Watson is a "slut" who deserves "to be raped to death"?
Can it? :think:
Plus the Facebook saga where she and Benson manipulated (I think his name was) Ryan Grant Long into saying just want they wanted, something about kicking one of them in the cunt. He was an idiot for letting them get to him, and taking the bait the way he did, but make no mistake, they poked at him until they got their quote.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

acathode wrote:
Dilurk wrote:Brownian and Surly have been demonstrating text book cases of the "Streisand effect".

isn't the Streisand effect exactly what they want? They crave the attention they get whenever they play the victim card, and so what if someone bothers checking up their name or address? They know perfectly fine that they are in no real danger from anyone, so playing the victim card to get "community cred" and to sell their "art" is completely risk free. Hell, if they become really good at it, they might even be able to become a "personality" and get flown around to speaking gigs where they can talk about themselves, just as a certain blue-haired blob managed to do.
Logically the conclusion is 1) They are really that stupid that they don't know of the Streisand effect 2) They are manipulating us for sales.

I refuse to believe that these people aren't aware of the Steisand effect due to its effects upon attempted suppression of atheists on youtube (just look at the mirroring that happens when a DMCA is filed), the effects after sceptics go against chiropractors and just look at the false flagging on twitter. No, these people are deliberately gaming everyone involved. Unlike Sara Mayhew who has been suggesting that trolls be ignored, I think the idea of exposing this deliberate gaming should be the goal.

If these people were rational I'd be all for an open dialogue. I'm willing to bet we could agree on some things, continue to disagree on others yet still remain united in our common enemy. For an example of this, look what happened when Sam Harris and Bruce Schneier debated. http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/to-p ... to-profile I have no personal stake in this debate nor a firm conviction on the answer. I just found it interesting the two could disagree in a saner way than what we have been seeing from the FFtB and a+.

This brings up an even more interesting question. Is the gaming of other atheists at all justified in the grander scheme of things? Does all this controversy bring in enough compensating $$ and attention for a continued war against the insanity of religion?

Personally I think not. Justin Vacula is a case in point. Still these people might think it is. Comments?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Ok, so I stupidly read a blog post by Szvan today regarding mental illness which then prompted me to look at other posts on FfTB regarding the Newtown masscre and mental illness.

I can't be the only one thinking "a completely sane person with no mental issues whatsoever would not do this", right? I don't feel I'm stigmatizing those with mental issues because there are varying degrees as well as so many types and *many* afflicted would not be driven to this level of horror.

The posts are just pissing me off because they're pretty much stating that if you even thought Lanza was not in complete control of his mental faculties, you're in the wrong.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Don't want to be near this guy when he starts playing the trouser trumpet!

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok, so I stupidly read a blog post by Szvan today regarding mental illness which then prompted me to look at other posts on FfTB regarding the Newtown masscre and mental illness.

I can't be the only one thinking "a completely sane person with no mental issues whatsoever would not do this", right? I don't feel I'm stigmatizing those with mental issues because there are varying degrees as well as so many types and *many* afflicted would not be driven to this level of horror.

The posts are just pissing me off because they're pretty much stating that if you even thought Lanza was not in complete control of his mental faculties, you're in the wrong.
It's because it takes away from their narrative of "masculinity" and "whiteness" being the core problem.

Never mind that the vast majority of people who are involved in these kinds of shootings either have been or were on psychotropic drugs of one sort or the other; meaning they A) had access to mental health care and B) were mentally damaged to a degree where said medication was prescribed. We take this to mean that they were mentally ill in some way.

The cognitive dissonance on this point is astounding. If you go the FTB or the A+ forums, they gladly announce what mental illness they have, how they are dealing with it, how the believe everyone else should deal with it, why it's a big deal to them, why the whole world should conform to their particular illness, ad infinitum...

Hell, the usual chorus after these events is "we need better mental health care in this country," or "we need better access to mental health care in this country," which implies that those involved were mentally ill in some way.

Of course these shooters are mentally ill. To deny it is to deny reality. And that's all mental illness really is at its core. It's either willfully or unknowingly denying reality in one form or the other.

Why are they taking this line? Because they've spent so much time and energy celebrating their mental illnesses and telling the rest of the world that they can deal with it or GTFO.

The world at large cannot deal with and will not abide mental illness which results in mass shootings.

It takes away their victim-hood, you see?

Better to blame the Patriarchy than look in a mirror.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok, so I stupidly read a blog post by Szvan today regarding mental illness which then prompted me to look at other posts on FfTB regarding the Newtown masscre and mental illness.

'A completely sane person'. There's the rub Renee, how do you describe sane? Our culture is adept at identifying those it deems 'insane' but what exactly is sane? Lanza clearly had some serious psychological issues, to suggest otherwise is to ignore reality. The question that you, and I'm sure many others are asking, is what drives an individual to such extreme measures?

I've not read the post by Szvan, but to simply dismiss Lanza's actions as an act of insanity or to blame 'just' a mental illness is far too simplistic and I'm afraid the question won't be answered on a series of blog posts. Sometimes extreme actions are as a result of mental illness which could have been identified beforehand, sometimes people just break. I can't say what motivated Lanza, mental illness or a series of thought processes which led to him believing that carrying out such an atrocity was a logical step BUT neither can Szvan or her minions and opining dogmatically one way or another is just fucking stupid.

The only one who knows the real reason behind Lanza's actions are Lanza, and he's not talking.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

soldierwhy wrote:

'A completely sane person'. There's the rub Renee, how do you describe sane? Our culture is adept at identifying those it deems 'insane' but what exactly is sane? Lanza clearly had some serious psychological issues, to suggest otherwise is to ignore reality. The question that you, and I'm sure many others are asking, is what drives an individual to such extreme measures?

I've not read the post by Szvan, but to simply dismiss Lanza's actions as an act of insanity or to blame 'just' a mental illness is far too simplistic and I'm afraid the question won't be answered on a series of blog posts. Sometimes extreme actions are as a result of mental illness which could have been identified beforehand, sometimes people just break. I can't say what motivated Lanza, mental illness or a series of thought processes which led to him believing that carrying out such an atrocity was a logical step BUT neither can Szvan or her minions and opining dogmatically one way or another is just fucking stupid.

The only one who knows the real reason behind Lanza's actions are Lanza, and he's not talking.
I think it's rather safe to speculate that mentally "sane" people do not shoot 20 children at point blank range. I agree that the concept of sanity, insanity, mental illness, etc... is nebulous and health care professionals have not done a very good job of finding a "baseline," but we can certainly point out certain behaviors that deviate so far from the norm that they can be nothing less than insane.

We're unpacking all kinds of concepts here, and I understand the controversy the surrounds all of this. I tend think more in the Szazian way when it comes to mental illness, so your point is taken. But, if we are to integrate our thoughts into the social milieu, then there's no way we can come up with any other explanation other than mental illness.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

John Brown wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:

I think it's rather safe to speculate that mentally "sane" people do not shoot 20 children at point blank range. I agree that the concept of sanity, insanity, mental illness, etc... is nebulous and health care professionals have not done a very good job of finding a "baseline," but we can certainly point out certain behaviors that deviate so far from the norm that they can be nothing less than insane.

We're unpacking all kinds of concepts here, and I understand the controversy the surrounds all of this. I tend think more in the Szazian way when it comes to mental illness, so your point is taken. But, if we are to integrate our thoughts into the social milieu, then there's no way we can come up with any other explanation other than mental illness.
I think we (either correctly or incorrectly) use ourselves as a baseline. We know what we would not do. Then, we apply our own personal baseline to the tragedy. I don't think this is necessarily an incorrect thing to do.

I guess I was just perturbed by the way these posts are intimating that we should *never* assume the person wasn't completely in control of their mental faculties. Sorry, but I think it's (for lack of a better phrase) human nature.

Hoggbert

Re: Atheism+ have a new hideout

Post by Hoggbert »

What a fresh and exciting concept... the ability to anonymously discuss topics online. I'll have to buy some stock in this company.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Youtube says Myers is about to have a live stream (from google+?) at:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

It also says it's at this address:

Maybe he's having trouble and restarting it over and over. No video is appearing yet.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I've seen this on other SJW sites, the mental gymnastics they have to perform to minimize or ignore the mental health factor in these crimes, lest the SJW be labeled "abilist". OAfter Gabriel Giffords was shot, one site banned mention of mental illness as a motivation and stated that "people with mental illness or more often the victims of crime rather than the perpetrators." That's likely true, but it doesn't change the fact that Jared Loughner is insane. Instead they reached for the reliable old stand-by: misogyny.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

katamari Damassi wrote:

I've seen this on other SJW sites, the mental gymnastics they have to perform to minimize or ignore the mental health factor in these crimes, lest the SJW be labeled "abilist". OAfter Gabriel Giffords was shot, one site banned mention of mental illness as a motivation and stated that "people with mental illness or more often the victims of crime rather than the perpetrators." That's likely true, but it doesn't change the fact that Jared Loughner is insane. Instead they reached for the reliable old stand-by: misogyny.
Seriously?? What they pulled from that incident is misogyny? I'm actually glad I haven't read through that crap. I'd probably end up punching my monitor.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

John Brown wrote:I think it's rather safe to speculate that mentally "sane" people do not shoot 20 children at point blank range.
That would be an opinion rather than based on fact. Serial killers have been found guilty with no question of their sanity. Atrocities have been carried out around the world (including the murder of children) by individuals who apparently rationally believed that their actions were just and logical.
I agree that the concept of sanity, insanity, mental illness, etc... is nebulous and health care professionals have not done a very good job of finding a "baseline," but we can certainly point out certain behaviors that deviate so far from the norm that they can be nothing less than insane.
Again, don't confuse the medical with the every day usage. IMO individuals who pierce sensitive parts of their bodies are 'insane', but they are not insane.
I'm certainly not disputing that the most likely reason for Lanza's actions are psychological in nature but 'mental illness' is too broad a term when what you actually mean is 'I can't understand how anyone who is not mentally ill could carry out that act'. Using mental illness in this fashion is so nebulous that it means everything and nothing.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I think we (either correctly or incorrectly) use ourselves as a baseline. We know what we would not do. Then, we apply our own personal baseline to the tragedy. I don't think this is necessarily an incorrect thing to do.
I agree Renee.
I guess I was just perturbed by the way these posts are intimating that we should *never* assume the person wasn't completely in control of their mental faculties. Sorry, but I think it's (for lack of a better phrase) human nature.
That's my point, arguing definitively either way is not going to prove anything. Lanza could have been certifiable and just waiting to happen, he could have been perfectly 'normal' and had a psychotic break or his upbringing could have instilled in him a sense of ethics which saw nothing wrong with gunning down 20 kids. Or a dozen other reasons that led to his actions.

It is human nature to want to 'blame' an external source, be that mental illness, psychotic break, bad childhood or whatever. It allows us to distance ourselves from such individuals and say 'not us'. The truth is that there is no real reason why 'not us'. Everyone has a breaking point.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

soldierwhy wrote:
John Brown wrote:I think it's rather safe to speculate that mentally "sane" people do not shoot 20 children at point blank range.
That would be an opinion rather than based on fact. Serial killers have been found guilty with no question of their sanity. Atrocities have been carried out around the world (including the murder of children) by individuals who apparently rationally believed that their actions were just and logical.
I agree that the concept of sanity, insanity, mental illness, etc... is nebulous and health care professionals have not done a very good job of finding a "baseline," but we can certainly point out certain behaviors that deviate so far from the norm that they can be nothing less than insane.
Again, don't confuse the medical with the every day usage. IMO individuals who pierce sensitive parts of their bodies are 'insane', but they are not insane.
I'm certainly not disputing that the most likely reason for Lanza's actions are psychological in nature but 'mental illness' is too broad a term when what you actually mean is 'I can't understand how anyone who is not mentally ill could carry out that act'. Using mental illness in this fashion is so nebulous that it means everything and nothing.
Right, but there's a problem with all of this. We're talking two different languages, which will have to be heaved over for another post.

I'll just say this, in regards to the original question.

To the people yelling the loudest about stigmatizing mental illness, mental illness is a real "thing." Regardless of what debates swirl around the concept, they are firmly entrenched in the current mental illness social milieu. They have no problem either establishing some arbitrary baseline (ableism), or how any particular mental illness measures against that baseline. Mental illness is absolutely empirical in their world view.

So, for them to deny mental illness when there is more than damning proof that the person who carried out these shootings fits well within their rubric, is a complete divorce from the reality they've made for themselves. I can guess at the motivations for this all day long, but I think my original speculation is probably pretty close to the heart of the matter. It takes way their victim cred and it dissociates themselves from the world they have built around themselves.

Now, to switch "languages," I largely agree with what you're saying. Unpacking the concepts of mental illness is a nebulous affair. We can easily measure the effects of mental illness, but we are pretty much at the witch doctor level of understanding of what causes it.

And, I stand by my original assertion. Actions so far out the norm are probably due to a complete (even if temporary) break with reality. Even though we haven't yet defined what mental illness is exactly or how to measure it, I feel it's safe to assume this person was, in fact, mentally ill.

But, as the facts change, I change my mind.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

John Brown wrote:Snip.
Was going to quote you again John but suffice to say I now understand where you are coming from. Thanks for the clarification.

welch

Post by welch »

soldierwhy wrote:
No, they were judged not so insane that they weren't responsible for their actions. Ted Bundy is a prime example. That boy was not "sane" in the sense of "killing people because you can and having sex with their corpses is simply not done." But, he was competent to stand trial. When you talk about "sane" in terms of trials, that's not "sane" in all respects. That's just "not so mentally out to lunch that they literally don't know what the fuck is really going on."
soldierwhy wrote:
Well, we're stuck with the word, so we kind of have to let context be our guide.
soldierwhy wrote:
No, I don't think so. There are cases of "temporary" insanity. That's usually in rage kills, i.e. come home, and your husband is schtupping the neighbor's wife, you flip out and stab them both. Mental illness is a broad term, but not so broad that it is incorrect to say that someone who plans that kind of spree isn't right in the head. Just means that not everyone who is mentally is is also a spree/serial killer.

All squares are rectangles, etc.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:

Seriously?? What they pulled from that incident is misogyny? I'm actually glad I haven't read through that crap. I'd probably end up punching my monitor.
That was in the Loughner case. I haven't seen it so far with Lanza. There seems to be a variation on the misogyny argument in the way of "toxic masculinity" that is making the rounds, but it does surprise me that none of the SJWs have divided the victims by sex, found more female victims than males and pronounced misogyny as the motivation.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Scented Nectar wrote:It also says it's at this address:

Maybe he's having trouble and restarting it over and over. No video is appearing yet.
DOOMSDAY - Everyone on the planet starts acting like PZ Myers.
A gauge for behavior-If everyone on the planet acted exactly like you what kind of world would it be?
In PZ's case- wimpy, judgmental, willfully ignorant, and dickish

The only reason I'm listening is to get more sound bites of PZ saying lame shit. He is only useful in that capacity to me... mockery that is. If the slymepit is such a horrible group of people I wonder why PZ isn't playing hero and saving the world from us. He fights against creationists because he considers his position as superior. I guess he doesn't consider himself able/willing to do the same against the slymepit. He really can't claim we are so vile and evil and also claim we have no influence and are unworthy of acknowledgement. Doesn't he realize- Evil knows no bounds. (credit- Slayer)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Reap wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:It also says it's at this address:

DOOMSDAY - Everyone on the planet starts acting like PZ Myers.
A gauge for behavior-If everyone on the planet acted exactly like you what kind of world would it be?
In PZ's case- wimpy, judgmental, willfully ignorant, and dickish

The only reason I'm listening is to get more sound bites of PZ saying lame shit. He is only useful in that capacity to me... mockery that is. If the slymepit is such a horrible group of people I wonder why PZ isn't playing hero and saving the world from us. He fights against creationists because he considers his position as superior. I guess he doesn't consider himself able/willing to do the same against the slymepit. He really can't claim we are so vile and evil and also claim we have no influence and are unworthy of acknowledgement. Doesn't he realize- Evil knows no bounds. (credit- Slayer)
Well, I hope you get some good sound bytes to play with. I bailed by around 10 minutes in.
:sleeping-sleeping: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-sleeping: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-sleep: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-sleep: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-sleeping: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-blue:

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

[youtube]7co-RNIIBWA[/youtube]

A must see

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote: (youtube)7co-RNIIBWA

A must see
Great video.

“appalling ignorance and dishonesty” [@ 1:29]: exactly. Watson at least had the sense after “Galileo-gate” to concede [“herp derp” – apparently “ableist” in the lexicons of some feminists / SJWs] that she had made a mistake about Galileo being executed by the Church. But her refusal to concede a similar “error in judgement” in the case of evo psych looks particularly obtuse, pig-headed and anti-intellectual. Not a particularly good recommendation to allow her in the doors at any skeptics convention, much less actually be any type of speaker.

Great image of “white-knight” PZ Myers riding to rescue Watson on a dinosaur.

mordacious1

BDay

Post by mordacious1 »

Thanks Phil and Renee for the birthday wishes. Italian Rum cake, yum!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

SPACKlick wrote:Ah right, I read the link on Phonons, I skimmed the article on reduction and emeregence and it became clear from your posts, you're talking out the wrong end.
Ah, thank you for that detailed, cogent and well-thought-out criticism. But just to clarify a few points that weren’t clear – my bad – from your voluminous refutation – truly a triumph of scholarship made more impressive by the fact that you created it in less than four minutes, are you perchance rejecting the entirety of the philosophy, physics, and mathematics encompassed by the burgeoning field of emergence and complexity theory and its applications? Or did you, perchance, happen to have some specific objections to my rather general comments and conjectures which I had circumscribed with an acknowledgment of my own limited understanding of those topics which, of course, pales in comparison to your own understanding and abilities?

papillon

Post by papillon »

Meanwhile, over on A+ Shangri-Lalaland, Katy Perry is brought in for an ethics interrogation..and some shit flinging.
Subject: The catchy, bubblegum pop ditty "I kissed a girl (and I liked it)"
A young hetero/bi-curious female vocalist singing about her experience of kissing another girl - What's not to like?
Fucking plenty, apparently.
It's pure goddamned objectification of lesbians. You kissed a girl and you liked it? Congratulations, so do tons of women. "It felt so wrong, it felt so right" yeah, fuck your "it felt so wrong" bullshit.
Oh I see, maybe Katy Perry is just too..erm...slutty? Oops, forgot my Lexicon. Slut-shaming is totes taboo.
[...]No need to slut shame her
Ok, got it. So objectification is the issue here then? Not sluttyness?
Don't slut-shame Katy Perry. Shame her for her homophobia and her glorification of emotional abuse. Because she deserves shaming for the latter two.
Oh FFS, objectification, homophobia and glorification of emotional abuse. Anything else?
[....]tactical considerations should never trump that actual hurt Perry's homophobia and transphobia have caused.
Ah, of course.Transphobia. Next.
Cooouuuldn't help but catch that her description of why girls are "kissable" is a hetero- and cis-centric.
OK, I'll put you down for extra Heterocenrism with a side of Cis-bias.
Enter 'Submor'
In reality, being anti-feminism is pretty tricky when so many feminist values have already become a deeply ingrained part of the cultural landscape.
Right, so that'll be the Partiarchal cultural landscape that these Feminist values are so deeply engrained in will it?
The notion that "women are people" is a feminist value
Really. Really? I'll make sure I let mine out of her cage for Christmas then. Good job you told me.
Anyone else?
My biggest problem with the song is that the narrator/Katy Perry is exploiting another woman. This isn't two women who both know they're only doing it for attention. This is about one woman leading another on, cheaply and insincerely.....That's messed up and hurtful to the fictional woman in the song.
Outrageous! Surely someone must make a stand for fictional womyn's rights.
A slightly contra poster emerges with a suggestion.
Does it signify a growing acceptance of gay people in society
Hmmm..
No, because she's not gay.
Badum - Tssst.

Who knew sweet Katy Perry could spew so much hatred directly into the eardrums of white middle-class kids?
That's right. Katy Perry who.. er..um..Didn't even write the fucking song! It was Cathy Dennis.
Just fucking wow.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 8&start=25

Barael

Post by Barael »

Companion in misfortune! (That seems to be the closest thing in english for the finnish expression "kohtalontoveri"). My coping mechanism (for the last couple of years once I got a proper job, anyway) is to buy myself a decent birthday gift. This year it was a 27-inch 1440p display; Slymepit has never looked so good!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

papillon wrote:Meanwhile, over on A+ Shangri-Lalaland, Katy Perry is brought in for an ethics interrogation..and some shit flinging.
Subject: The catchy, bubblegum pop ditty "I kissed a girl (and I liked it)"
A young hetero/bi-curious female vocalist singing about her experience of kissing another girl - What's not to like?
Fucking plenty, apparently.
It's pure goddamned objectification of lesbians. You kissed a girl and you liked it? Congratulations, so do tons of women. "It felt so wrong, it felt so right" yeah, fuck your "it felt so wrong" bullshit.
Oh I see, maybe Katy Perry is just too..erm...slutty? Oops, forgot my Lexicon. Slut-shaming is totes taboo.
[...]No need to slut shame her
Ok, got it. So objectification is the issue here then? Not sluttyness?
Don't slut-shame Katy Perry. Shame her for her homophobia and her glorification of emotional abuse. Because she deserves shaming for the latter two.
Oh FFS, objectification, homophobia and glorification of emotional abuse. Anything else?
[....]tactical considerations should never trump that actual hurt Perry's homophobia and transphobia have caused.
Ah, of course.Transphobia. Next.
Cooouuuldn't help but catch that her description of why girls are "kissable" is a hetero- and cis-centric.
OK, I'll put you down for extra Heterocenrism with a side of Cis-bias.
Enter 'Submor'
In reality, being anti-feminism is pretty tricky when so many feminist values have already become a deeply ingrained part of the cultural landscape.
Right, so that'll be the Partiarchal cultural landscape that these Feminist values are so deeply engrained in will it?
The notion that "women are people" is a feminist value
Really. Really? I'll make sure I let mine out of her cage for Christmas then. Good job you told me.
Anyone else?
My biggest problem with the song is that the narrator/Katy Perry is exploiting another woman. This isn't two women who both know they're only doing it for attention. This is about one woman leading another on, cheaply and insincerely.....That's messed up and hurtful to the fictional woman in the song.
Outrageous! Surely someone must make a stand for fictional womyn's rights.
A slightly contra poster emerges with a suggestion.
Does it signify a growing acceptance of gay people in society
Hmmm..
No, because she's not gay.
Badum - Tssst.

Who knew sweet Katy Perry could spew so much hatred directly into the eardrums of white middle-class kids?
That's right. Katy Perry who.. er..um..Didn't even write the fucking song! It was Cathy Dennis.
Just fucking wow.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 8&start=25
Quit smirking, Rebecca Black. You're next.
"Friday is a construct of the Patriarchy.."

papillon

Post by papillon »

Gefan wrote: Quit smirking, Rebecca Black. You're next.
"Friday is a construct of the Patriarchy.."
Just had to look her up.
I'm only halfway through the video and I've already identified some key areas of interest.
- Objectification (natch).
- Dental brace glorification.
- Green screen abuse.

Someone call the SPLC!

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

http://i.imgur.com/T1JHU.png?1
That's because you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into Sheila, you stupid cunt.