The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Gumby »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Resident legal eagles, and others with some interest in the topic, may wish to weigh in on whether that Act might well justify banning Islam and deporting those already in the US. Even if probably doesn't cover nuking Mecca, from orbit, just to be sure.
Why is it always from "orbit"?
Are you a space alien robot? Your mother ship has nukes? We need to get Clarence on this.
[youtube][/youtube]

John D

Post by John D »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
John D wrote:Pence is probably better than Hillary or Trump... even though he is religiously conservative. At least he was a decent governor and isn't a crook.
What makes you say that a crook is better than a religious conservative? What makes you say that he was a decent governor?
I am saying that Pence, a religious conservative, is a better choice than a crook.

He was a decent governor because he honestly represented the desires of his conservative constituents in Indiana. He didn't do anything that the people of Indiana didn't desire. Even the states religious freedom bill he signed was popular.... even though it was quickly changed after a great backlash from corporations and the tourism interests in the state.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

comhcinc wrote:You suck at this. That is nowhere near the best picture nor does it show what he actually looked like at WrestleMania VI.

https://vinylstylus.files.wordpress.com ... roddy1.jpg
I saw that pic. Didn't think everybody wanted to see Lean gene also, Plus, I prefer my pix up close and personal. So there

Barbie's Boyfriend

comhcinc wrote:You suck at this. That is nowhere near the best picture nor does it show what he actually looked like at WrestleMania VI.

You also suck because you are a sports entertainment fan. There are also plenty of pix of Hacksnort Jim Duggan from Mid South, when he was a bad ass, and not a cartoon character. Mid South rulz, WWF drulz

Barbie's Boyfriend

And my pic of Aunt Jemima is better than your pic of her
annaharrington_zps8dff050d.jpg
(32.63 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Old_ones wrote: Clinton isn't a terrible candidate; she's a status quo candidate. That's exactly what I want in an election where no one has articulated a credible version of change. She'll appoint a couple SC Justices, get nothing done - mostly because of all the "change" we've got in congress thanks to the boorish nutjobs in the "freedom caucus" - and she'll probably keep us out of any major wars. That sounds good to me. Maybe in four or eight years we'll get some better candidates, and in the mean time we'll have a reasonably functional government and economy.
I am not as optimistic as you seem to be. Can you expand a bit on the "major wars" bit? Do you mean a WW III scenario or more adventures like the ones "we" currently have on the go right now?
Every president seems to want to do something with their military (usually which I think is inadvisable) and Clinton is more hawkish than Obama. I'm guessing the Obama drone business won't go away under Clinton, and I'm guessing she'll have some kind of military action. When I say "major war" I'm talking about a serious commitment of ground troops - similar to Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not talking about shit like Bill's Kosovo bombings, or Obama's Libya action. I'm also not talking about fighting ISIS, because it's unlikely that we will do more than commit special operations personnel and air support. I know Hillary voted for Iraq, but I'm not sure she would have proposed it, and I don't think she will risk an unpopular war because she's seen how many political careers were damaged by Iraq (including her own). She's a careerist first and foremost. She won't want to do anything too risky that might put her at risk of being another W, or worse, a single term president.

Honestly, new neo-con style military adventures aren't my biggest concern with Trump either. With him I'd be more worried about impulsive decisions that lead to various kinds of crises, and deteriorating diplomatic ties with our allies.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

OK Sterrsman is a terrestial robot. :mrgreen:

Barbie's Boyfriend

[youtube][/youtube]

Hacksnort Jim Duggan and Ted Dibiase, back when they were still real men, and not cartoon character sellouts

free thoughtpolice

[youtube][/youtube]

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Ophelia Benson gets the pukes from mention of Richard Carrier

http://i.imgur.com/SoGoK5f.jpg

The concept of an Aussie Dcik Carrier is fairly nausea inducing.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:why not give them to people for running fast, I am sure that is a useful life skill.
Actually running fast is an extremely handy life skill. As are physical strength and intelligence.

But I do take your point about the frivolity of various awards for such accomplishments.
I saw my elderly mother running the other day. It's amazing isn't it, that Usain Bolt bolt can run the 100m quite a few seconds faster than an elderly woman. Not just a few seconds, but quite a few seconds.

Barbie's Boyfriend

More awesome Mid South action. Back when a turn meant something:

[youtube][/youtube]

Barbie's Boyfriend

HunnyBunny wrote:Ophelia Benson gets the pukes from mention of Richard Carrier

http://i.imgur.com/SoGoK5f.jpg

The concept of an Aussie Dick Carrier is fairly nausea inducing.
When the Australian Dick Carrier cums, does the cum squirt out counter clockwise instead of clockwise ?

Barbie's Boyfriend

free thoughtpolice wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
I have a friend who was a top ten rated wrestler in high school in Texas. He had a scholarship to attend Ohio state, but he blew his knee out. He told me once about a highly illegal move used in amateur wrestling called "Checking For Oil". Use your imagination

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
I have a friend who was a top ten rated wrestler in high school in Texas. He had a scholarship to attend Ohio state, but he blew his knee out. He told me once about a highly illegal move used in amateur wrestling called "Checking For Oil". Use your imagination
Sissies. Oil checks are a time honored move in various grappling disciplines. And it's only gay when you back into the oil check.

[youtube][/youtube]

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote: When the Australian Dick Carrier cums, does the cum squirt out counter clockwise instead of clockwise ?
And do the flying globs and droplets and boomerang back into his own face?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

This is from the episode where he and the guy who played the Riddler wrestled aboard the Starship Enterprise?

free thoughtpolice

Shatterface wrote:

This is from the episode where he and the guy who played the Riddler wrestled aboard the Starship Enterprise?
I saw that episode. The moral of the story was that people of color on the left side can't be racist against people of color on the right side because of power, privilege, and POCR Supremacy. And patriarchy. :ugeek:

free thoughtpolice

Intersectionality.

free thoughtpolice

This is a spot that might run on USAnian TV a lot in the next few months.
[youtube][/youtube]

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

HunnyBunny wrote: The concept of an Aussie Dcik Carrier is fairly nausea inducing.
http://i.imgur.com/4JjnLrk.png

free thoughtpolice

fuzzy; convincing :D

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

free thoughtpolice wrote:This is a spot that might run on USAnian TV a lot in the next few months.
[youtube][/youtube]
There are thousands of stories like this one. The Republican party needed a wake-up call and instead lapsed into a nightmare.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

John D wrote:I am saying that Pence, a religious conservative, is a better choice than a crook.
I understood that. I asked you why you say this. I find politicians that don't grok the 1st Amendment to be much more of a problem than those who are crooks.
John D wrote:He was a decent governor because he honestly represented the desires of his conservative constituents in Indiana. He didn't do anything that the people of Indiana didn't desire. Even the states religious freedom bill he signed was popular.... even though it was quickly changed after a great backlash from corporations and the tourism interests in the state.
Besides the extreme abortion law and the religious "freedom" law, what else did he champion and sign? And please note that the abortion law was not even popular among Republicans, so I have no idea why you say that he didn't do anything that the people of Indiana didn't want.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

fuzzy wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote: The concept of an Aussie Dcik Carrier is fairly nausea inducing.
http://i.imgur.com/4JjnLrk.png
Reading from bottom up.

What the fuck is this? What the fuck. No.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... 4damhVUYKM

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Aussie Dick aside, it appears our down-under bros might be on to something:
Treasurer Scott Morrison has cautioned the Australian Research Council to consider the popularity of new research projects, amid pressure to impose a “pub test” on the agency’s decisions.

Economist Michael Potter of the Centre for independent Studies, a classical liberal think tank, has criticised the ARC’s expert panels for funding “obscure projects” while the government reduces spending on other areas of research.

The controversial projects funded from the ARC’s budget included $467,997 for archaeological excavations in Tonga, $405,000 to investigate productivity in open-plan offices and $302,627 to study the evolution of university campuses.

The projects also include $340,000 to study “socially engaged art” about the Great Barrier Reef, $330,000 to investigate Soviet-era neuroscience, and $414,000 to examine Tibetan philosophy.

Mr Morrison, interviewed today on Sydney radio station 2GB, faced a call from broadcaster Ray Hadley to force the ARC to justify its grants in the front bar of pub in western Sydney or northside Brisbane.

The Treasurer answered: “It’s a fair point, Ray, and I think it shouldn’t be lost on those who make these decisions and it’s certainly not lost on us and we expect them to take into account public support for these types of activities.

“Those who make those decisions, whether they’re bureaucrats or ultimately politicians, you need to be mindful of that.”
I fully support this and think all our Aussie mates here at the Pit should be campaigning for Pub Panels to assess the worth of research topics, as a core campaign promise at the next elections.

I could see “The ‘booty call’: a compromise between men’s and women’s ideal mating strategies” getting fervent support in the lounge bar, but maybe failing in the wilder environment of your average Aussie front bar. I am sure that "A feminist Post-Modernist View on Housework: Why Men Should do More" would be kicked out of bounds before the first pint was downed.

Well done Aussies, this is the sort of thinking we expect and need from you.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher- ... 4d41c763a6

CaptainFluffyBunny

[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ has a problem talking to people on the "Devils Instrument"?

Poor boy needs another kiss.
What is it with the phone calls? I give my phone number to friends and family. The last thing I want is The Amazing Atheist to give me a ring so we can work out our differences, as if a phone call would fix anything. Where does this fantasy that differences in philosophy are best resolved over the devil’s instrument, the telephone, with a strategy, talking, that can be as godawfully bad as Twitter for engaging in depth.
On the phone he might discover that the horrible rapist trolls he thoughtlessly sabres down on hos blog are, in fact, quite human. Can't have that now, can we.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:The worst case scenario for me isn't a Clinton presidency or a Trump presidency, it's the paralysis of the US government due to a "lame duck" presidency of either candidate (when the Congress blocks everything they do).
I said it earlier, but I'll repeat it now: IMO, the worst-case scenario is President Pence. Paralysis would be orders of magnitude better than that.

Oddly enough, the best-case (plausible) scenario is President Kaine. Clinton winning and quickly being impeached and convicted would be an excellent resolution to the current mess.
Nah, the animosity between the parties would only become worse. Can't she just die a natural death?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Lsuoma wrote:I just spoke with rayshul on the Devils (sic) Instrument, and I have to say she sounded delightful (for a scum-sucking Aussie cow living in KIwiland!).
Delighted to be able to thank you for your service to freeze peach, mate.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Oh, I agree. However, is Pence worse than Dubya in this respect?
I do not know. With Dubya I was under the impression that his belief was nominal. I could be wrong there too. Who know what politicians really believe?
I was quite surprised to learn, not so long ago, that Jimmy Carter is a born-again Christian. He seemed quite moderate to me, and certainly not advertising his godbottery.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

rayshul wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:I just spoke with rayshul on the Devils (sic) Instrument, and I have to say she sounded delightful (for a scum-sucking Aussie cow living in KIwiland!).
Wow. Cows that suck scum from ponds and something to do with frozen peaches.

We live in a wonderful age.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Sounds like a cocktail recipe.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Sounds like a cocktail recipe.
Of course it is:

[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Goddamn, the Gunslinger: Dark Tower movie is already well into clusterfuck territory. I was an idiot to have any hope at all that it might actually follow the novel.

Barbie's Boyfriend

MacGruberKnows wrote:
rayshul wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

:lol: :clap:
I have to admit, I was confused by the title of that post too. "Bye, Bill" ???? :think: Like Shatner is a commenter that he's banning? That he's shutting him out of his mind? Or maybe it was something along the lines of when Barbara Bush declared "I'm done with you" to Al Franken. I guess we'll never know.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

One Punch Man is great fyi

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"Space flight today really seems safe". Christa McAuliffe

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:This is a spot that might run on USAnian TV a lot in the next few months.
[youtube][/youtube]
Wow that's pretty bad, although also why you learn to get your money up front and leave something to hold back to ensure that last payment.

I do wonder if there is more to the story.( was the firm billing higher than estimated? cost overruns, on site consulting fees?)

In Newark, the engineering firms have a field day charging for on-site consulting ( the contract calls for X- amount of visits, after that it's time and materials). Needless to say the site visits are way higher than estimated. ( this is for school construction/renovation)

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Given Pizzy's penchant for trashing every Sci fi. Movie he's ever commented on, I don't get the feeling he was ever a real Trek fan. Probably a bit of a poser to get along with the social group he landed in.

You almost get the feeling that he despises the childish entertainment habits of his chosen flock.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Spike13 wrote:Given Pizzy's penchant for trashing every Sci fi. Movie he's ever commented on, I don't get the feeling he was ever a real Trek fan. Probably a bit of a poser to get along with the social group he landed in.

You almost get the feeling that he despises the childish entertainment habits of his chosen flock.
Most SJWs seem to lack the capacity for pleasure. Even the polymory and the obsession with transwomen and strap-ons is just an effort to compensate for their inability to enjoy normal sex.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Define normal.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Clarence wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:The Devil's instrument is, by tradition, the violin.
I am pretty sure he lost it in a bet back in 79 to a man named Johnny from Georgia.

Here is a news report about it.

[youtube][/youtube]
More accurate news than CNN!

I've always liked that song, ever since my mom played it when I was a mere lad.
Here's a more local version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ORs5KWi19U

Dundalk is a working class white neighborhood right next to the Eastern line of Baltimore City.

Thanks to this post I have discovered something I previous believed didn't exist - something from my youth that ISN'T ON YOUTUBE! There was a terrible cabaret band called Clubsound in Norn Iron when I was a larva, and they use to do "The Devil Went Down to Ahoghill". Ahoghill being a small and uninteresting hope in the ground just outside Ballymena, old stomping ground of Ian Paisley and Liam Neeson.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:Define normal.
It's at the opposite end of the spectrum from cutting your dick off, then strapping on a new one.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

paddybrown wrote: Thanks to this post I have discovered something I previous believed didn't exist - something from my youth that ISN'T ON YOUTUBE! There was a terrible cabaret band called Clubsound in Norn Iron when I was a larva, and they use to do "The Devil Went Down to Ahoghill". Ahoghill being a small and uninteresting hope in the ground just outside Ballymena, old stomping ground of Ian Paisley and Liam Neeson.
HOLE in the ground, not hope. PZ is right, phones are the work of satan.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
It's at the opposite end of the spectrum from cutting your dick off, then strapping on a new one.
Damn, I wish you had told me earlier.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

paddybrown wrote:
Thanks to this post I have discovered something I previous believed didn't exist - something from my youth that ISN'T ON YOUTUBE! There was a terrible cabaret band called Clubsound in Norn Iron when I was a larva, and they use to do "The Devil Went Down to Ahoghill". Ahoghill being a small and uninteresting hope in the ground just outside Ballymena, old stomping ground of Ian Paisley and Liam Neeson.
Not good enough. You'll have to find another musically regional song to substitute. (Even if you have to play it yourself!).

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Back in the old days of the comics bubble, there was an upsurge in "re-creating" characters.

The editors would say things like, " I've always loved " X" , now we're going to update and give a fresh perspective on the character!"

This trend got so bad it led industry old timers to comment "They've changed it so much,what the hell did you like about this character in the first place?"

The SJW's are the same way, swearing "I've been a huge fan of this, that, or the other! Now completely change it to suit my sensibilities!"

( Tale your character which you have spent time money and effort creating and making popular, risk your money, prestige, reputation, remaking it in the image we want. We of course risk nothing.)

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Fuckimg.. Fucking is normal.( with real flesh genitalia)

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

These, God help us, have been voted the best jokes at this year's Edinburgh Fringe:
1. “My dad has suggested that I register for a donor card. He’s a man after my own heart.” - Masai Graham

2. “Why is it old people say “there’s no place like home”, yet when you put them in one…” - Stuart Mitchell

3. “I’ve been happily married for four years – out of a total of 10.” - Mark Watson

4. “Apparently 1 in 3 Britons are conceived in an IKEA bed which is mad because those places are really well lit.” - Mark Smith – 21%

5. “I went to a pub quiz in Liverpool, had a few drinks so wasn’t much use. Just for a laugh I wrote The Beatles or Steven Gerrard for every answer… came second.” - Will Duggan

6. “Brexit is a terrible name, sounds like cereal you eat when you are constipated.” - Tiff Stevenson

7. “I often confuse Americans and Canadians. By using long words.” - Gary Delaney

8. “Why is Henry’s wife covered in tooth marks? Because he’s Tudor.” - Adele Cliff

9. “Don’t you hate it when people assume you’re rich because you sound posh and went to private school and have loads of money?” - Annie McGrath

10. “Is it possible to mistake schizophrenia for telepathy, I hear you ask.” - Jordan Brookes

11. “Hilary Clinton has shown that any woman can be President, as long as your husband did it first.” - Michelle Wolf

12. “I spotted a marmite van on the motorway. It was heading yeastbound.” - Roger Swift

13. “Back in the day, Instagram just meant a really efficient drug dealer.” - Arthur Smith

14. “I’ll tell you what’s unnatural in the eyes of God. Contact lenses.” - Zoe Lyons

15. “Elton John hates ordering Chinese food. Soya seems to be the hardest word.” - Phil Nicol
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/what- ... ringe-wit/

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Shatterface wrote:These, God help us, have been voted the best jokes at this year's Edinburgh Fringe:
1. “My dad has suggested that I register for a donor card. He’s a man after my own heart.” - Masai Graham

2. “Why is it old people say “there’s no place like home”, yet when you put them in one…” - Stuart Mitchell

3. “I’ve been happily married for four years – out of a total of 10.” - Mark Watson

4. “Apparently 1 in 3 Britons are conceived in an IKEA bed which is mad because those places are really well lit.” - Mark Smith – 21%

5. “I went to a pub quiz in Liverpool, had a few drinks so wasn’t much use. Just for a laugh I wrote The Beatles or Steven Gerrard for every answer… came second.” - Will Duggan

6. “Brexit is a terrible name, sounds like cereal you eat when you are constipated.” - Tiff Stevenson

7. “I often confuse Americans and Canadians. By using long words.” - Gary Delaney

8. “Why is Henry’s wife covered in tooth marks? Because he’s Tudor.” - Adele Cliff

9. “Don’t you hate it when people assume you’re rich because you sound posh and went to private school and have loads of money?” - Annie McGrath

10. “Is it possible to mistake schizophrenia for telepathy, I hear you ask.” - Jordan Brookes

11. “Hilary Clinton has shown that any woman can be President, as long as your husband did it first.” - Michelle Wolf

12. “I spotted a marmite van on the motorway. It was heading yeastbound.” - Roger Swift

13. “Back in the day, Instagram just meant a really efficient drug dealer.” - Arthur Smith

14. “I’ll tell you what’s unnatural in the eyes of God. Contact lenses.” - Zoe Lyons

15. “Elton John hates ordering Chinese food. Soya seems to be the hardest word.” - Phil Nicol
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/what- ... ringe-wit/
A couple of them were amusing. A few were groaners. As a list of the best... Well we must be in a comedy rut.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote:Given Pizzy's penchant for trashing every Sci fi. Movie he's ever commented on, I don't get the feeling he was ever a real Trek fan. Probably a bit of a poser to get along with the social group he landed in.

As a kid, Peez was the type of loser who's so pathetic, he tried to fit in with the geeks to not seem so pathetic. He probably built an Enterprise model, but glued the engine nacelles on backwards.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

DrokkIt wrote:Today on social media:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=584AE419
Still looks like a dude.( what the fuck does skin color have to do with anything? Work that crutch!!!)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hmmm, I'm not so sure.

The superheroes developed from the pulps & penny dreadfu[ls - for example Batman = Zorro/Scarlet Pimpernel + The Shadow. And the writers in the 1940s were ripping each other (and earlier stories) off wholesale. ie they were not necessarily origional to start with.

In the 1940s and 1950s at DC - it was assumed that they had the audiences attention for an average of 5 years. So there was much recycling of stories.

The first revival would be the 'Silver Age' in the 1950s - with The Flash being created anew (but basically the same premise), and Green Lantern becoming a science fiction rather than magic character.

Batman was given a new take (with a yellow circle) around 1964 - just before becoming something else again with the arrival of the TV Show.

Superman switched from being a newspaper to a TV reporter at the end of 60s/70s, and his power was reduced severely by a radioactive sand creature (the power reduction did not take).

Sometime in the 1970s at Marvel - the guiding principle became 'No change, just the illusion of change'.

Revisions are not in themselves bad - most people (including me) enjoyed Alan Moore's take on the Swamp Thing.

But in the end mainstream comics sit at the intersection of art & commerce (though perhaps that is being generous) - and to get the audiences money there is always going to be attempts to gin up things with attention seeking events and recreations.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

As a kid, Peez was the type of loser who's so pathetic, he tried to fit in with the geeks to not seem so pathetic. He probably built an Enterprise model, but glued the engine nacelles on backwards.
Lol! And was probably the last kid who learned to do the Vulcan hand thing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: As a kid, Peez was the type of loser who's so pathetic, he tried to fit in with the geeks to not seem so pathetic. He probably built an Enterprise model, but glued the engine nacelles on backwards.
Lol! And was probably the last kid who learned to do the Vulcan hand thing.
Only by prying is fingers open with the other hand. And then would pronounce: "Live and Prosper Long!"

Ahh, but dissecting road kill in the basement -- that's what truly set PZ apart from the crowd.