Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
LMU

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by LMU »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Honestly, the worst part of having a podcast is the audience.
:lol:

Question for welch: I liked your posts but why should we mock them? If they are trolls should we not ignore them? Don't we run the risk of inadvertently advertising for them the way PZ does for us?

Note I'm not actually suggesting that we do just ignore them, or I wouldn't be lurking here and laughing at them.

Also thank yous to Lsuoma, SN, RH, and others for being patient with new people and explaining youtube tags.

decius

Post by decius »

Sorry, I messed up the quotations. I hope it's still readable.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote: So while he may not talk about it a lot, it may not be a show of strength. He may just genuinely not want to talk about it constantly, and get rather annoyed if it's all he gets to talk about for the next few months. keep up with things, but if he doesn't want to talk about it, let him not talk about it.
He's the sort that will tell me upfront if he doesn't want to discuss a topic. I tend to talk some topics *to death* so it's an acquired defense mechanism for him :D

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you are ok. I would have been screaming, btw, had I been waiting in the emergency room for more than a hour. But then my patience level is rather low.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Because you guys don't sugar coat shit and because this is one of the last places my somewhat 'net savvy relatives won't come calling, I need to get some cold hard facts on lymphoma. My guy *might* be dealing with this and, to be quite honest, I'm scared fucking shitless. I don't want to lose the very best friend I've ever had in this world.
Million different kinds, treatable, lots of oddball ideas for when Nothing Works that will sometimes work that Ive come across via my online antics. Sucks donkey balls, but no reason to freak out until everything else doesnt work.

*Practical* advice from someone who dealt with a medical catastrophe-- Cancer, I imagine, would be 'worse' than my fiasco. I got a $695,000 bill in the mail after everything was said and done, with long-term meds all being on the Walmart generic list. I imagine cancer would be more along the lines of nickle-and-dime-you-to-death financially, whether you have insurance or not. One of the benefits of not being married is that my assets are separate from my partners, thus I could support us even if medical bankruptcy was on the table. I dunno what to tell you if youre married.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Git wrote:
decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
It can be:

I don't know about the US Military but serving in the British Army, being targetted by a terrorist organisation for over 30 years, makes you a tad uneasy about hooking up with random strangers.
Well, being part of an occupying army on foreign soil requires extraordinary precautions, I suppose.
Well, you can fuck right off. Northern Ireland is British because the overwhelming majority of people there want it to be part of Britain (a principle enshrined in the GFA).
Riight... so when the overwhelming Majority of Ireland voted to not remain part of Britian, and Britain said "No, we are going to keep this part" that was fair, and the "will of the people"?

papillon

Post by papillon »

ReneeHendricks wrote: He is the sort who internalizes a lot. I say I'm scared shitless but I do try to keep that hidden. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. And I will PM "bend your ear" should the need arise (thank you).
I hope things start to look a little less dark after the results are through.
I can't offer much in the way of advice, except relate an anecdote about my mum's experience with cancer.
Three years ago she got a red flag/inconclusive test results for bowel cancer. A biopsy was arranged and months passed. During the waiting time, she became very stressed and pretty weak but didn't mention to anyone to save us the worry.
Test results come back - excellent prognosis. We all breathed a sigh of relief.
Two months later she died suddenly.
During the months of uncertainty and stress, she had developed a duodenal ulcer which eventually ruptured.
I mention this not to freak you out, but to urge you both to have open dialogue and not to internalise anything. Rather than saving each other undue worry, you'll both benefit.
It was a cruel lesson, but it was something I'd never considered before.
TL;DR Take care of yourselves!

lost control

Post by lost control »

ReneeHendricks wrote:2. Boy George just tweeted me :D
Isn't he the one that quite often runs into stores? Or am I mixing the celebs up?

Anyway, that's kinda awesome.

lost control

Post by lost control »

soldierwhy wrote:
cunt wrote:This is why I freelance. Old place was full of cunts who thought "simples" was hilarious.
If someone describes another person as a 'bit mad' you usually find that the other person is indeed a good laugh. If someone describes themselves as a 'bit mad' you can guarantee they will be a complete fuckwit.

Like the new boss I once had who told me he was 'really laid back' and turned out to be a neurotic arsehole.
Well, I'd describe myself as not just a bit mad, but officially crazy, as in diagnosed with a mental illness (and they simply spared me from adding on the other two that would kinda fit... so I wouldn't be to worried *sigh*. Well, besides MDD I seem to be - at least almost - also qualifed for NPD and SPD. Yeah me.)
I know I can be quite an asshole, but I try not to be too much of a cunt. I'm still amazed that my gal manages to like me at times.
Sadly I can't remember jokes, only very few. But those, I got told 15+ years ago, and even then those were already kinda old. Fuck, just last weekend a friend told me one again - completely gone.

I'm somewhat happy, looks like my gal will finally be able to leave the hospital after the upcoming weekend. After 6 fucking weeks. And after all those exams, they couldn't pin it down to anything that would have a really bad outlook, afterall, so she might get off with less heavy meds, still it looks like she will get immuno-suppressive med [properly translated?] - most probably something cortison based.

So, now my thoughts go out to MKG, Renee's guy, hope the results come back good, and all you fucking fucks who helped to distract me from my worries.

petal, you sent me a PM regarding my gal, I started to answer, but sadly didn't finish it, cause I got way too little sleep anyway last weekend, I hope you'll see this: Thanks for the well wishes, and yeah, I know. ;) Seems like I pulled through the rought weeks ok, but I'm glad I got off for two weeks so I can relax a bit myself and help the fair maiden with some upcoming appointments and formal stuff.
I hope the upcoming weekend will be the last one I'll spend mostly at a hospital bed for some time.

Cheers, everyone.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ERV wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Because you guys don't sugar coat shit and because this is one of the last places my somewhat 'net savvy relatives won't come calling, I need to get some cold hard facts on lymphoma. My guy *might* be dealing with this and, to be quite honest, I'm scared fucking shitless. I don't want to lose the very best friend I've ever had in this world.
Million different kinds, treatable, lots of oddball ideas for when Nothing Works that will sometimes work that Ive come across via my online antics. Sucks donkey balls, but no reason to freak out until everything else doesnt work.

*Practical* advice from someone who dealt with a medical catastrophe-- Cancer, I imagine, would be 'worse' than my fiasco. I got a $695,000 bill in the mail after everything was said and done, with long-term meds all being on the Walmart generic list. I imagine cancer would be more along the lines of nickle-and-dime-you-to-death financially, whether you have insurance or not. One of the benefits of not being married is that my assets are separate from my partners, thus I could support us even if medical bankruptcy was on the table. I dunno what to tell you if youre married.
We aren't married - which sucks for me (self-employed and sans insurance). I'm really hoping this doesn't nickle-and-dime us to death. At this point, I just want a solid answer from the doctor. Then, we'll go from there.

lost control

Post by lost control »

d4m10n wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
I really don't reason that he's overly thrilled about the controversies that keep miring a majority of the writers on the network who have no connection at all to the batshittery that keeps bubbling up there. There are some really, really good writers such as Mano, Myriam, BioDork, NSC, Aron, Taslima, etc.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw in my two cents... Your mileage may vary...
I'm not so sure about Taslima anymore — http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... are-hated/
Well, there's a great talk of her on youtube, really emotionally impressive, from some time ago. That was really moving. But her writing? Meh. And what she puts out is rather weak regarding reasonableness, I'd say.
My English sucks, but I feel she could use an editor who fixes her English a little, but from what I gather it's not her native language, so I'd give her some leeway in that department...?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

papillon wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: He is the sort who internalizes a lot. I say I'm scared shitless but I do try to keep that hidden. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. And I will PM "bend your ear" should the need arise (thank you).
I hope things start to look a little less dark after the results are through.
I can't offer much in the way of advice, except relate an anecdote about my mum's experience with cancer.
Three years ago she got a red flag/inconclusive test results for bowel cancer. A biopsy was arranged and months passed. During the waiting time, she became very stressed and pretty weak but didn't mention to anyone to save us the worry.
Test results come back - excellent prognosis. We all breathed a sigh of relief.
Two months later she died suddenly.
During the months of uncertainty and stress, she had developed a duodenal ulcer which eventually ruptured.
I mention this not to freak you out, but to urge you both to have open dialogue and not to internalise anything. Rather than saving each other undue worry, you'll both benefit.
It was a cruel lesson, but it was something I'd never considered before.
TL;DR Take care of yourselves!
I'll try my damnedest to keep us talking. I'm the queen of stress-out over here so it'll take me a bit to not let it get to me. Thanks for relating your story. That can't have been easy (then or now).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

lost control wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:2. Boy George just tweeted me :D
Isn't he the one that quite often runs into stores? Or am I mixing the celebs up?

Anyway, that's kinda awesome.
Hmm, I don't know. But, yeah, kinda awesome :D

lost control

Post by lost control »

ReneeHendricks wrote::D Just got my guy on a bad day. Usually our "pet" names for each other are "bitch" and "asshole".
Awwe, that's cute.

We're so unoriginal: "sugar" and "honey", but actually the English words, cause we both can't stand pet names (especially those in our native language, which other couples tend to employ, they get only dragged out when being really stupid or sarcastic). Anyway, basically only used in writing, and they're ok, as they're Amos song titles, too. Hmm, now I realize we usually don't even call us by our given names at all. Weird. But as we're mostly together with no one else around "you" is just perfect. Hah.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:No, I've just absolutely no idea what you're talking about, unless you were in Germany in 1945-47 or thereabouts. Please, describe for me what a honey-trap situation entails, here and now.
Honey Trap - the use of sex or seduction for nefarious purposes.
Really, does that include Western Europe in recent times? Honest question.
Yes it does. Soldiers in Germany have been warned to be aware of propositions by young women to leave their friends and go to other locations. There have been incidents where said soldiers have been beaten up and robbed.

I'm surprised you are questioning this, have you never served in a Garrison location? This is not new information.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Renee

My dad's nearly finished his course of chemo for Lymphoma. Might have to see if he needs some radiotherapy afterwards, but so far, things seem to be okay. It's incredible how much he looks like Hunter S Thompson when bald as a coot. Anyways, Feel free to send me a PM about it any time you wish.

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy wrote:
decius wrote:No, I've just absolutely no idea what you're talking about, unless you were in Germany in 1945-47 or thereabouts. Please, describe for me what a honey-trap situation entails, here and now.
Honey Trap - the use of sex or seduction for nefarious purposes.
Really, does that include Western Europe in recent times? Honest question.
Yes it does. Soldiers in Germany have been warned to be aware of propositions by young women to leave their friends and go to other locations. There have been incidents where said soldiers have been beaten up and robbed.

I'm surprised you are questioning this, have you never served in a Garrison location? This is not new information.
It is new information to me. I'm questioning it because the relationship between GIs and the locals, at least here in Germany, is described as transcending mere cordiality. I don't doubt that criminals might have occasionally targeted soldiers, but the general picture is a positive one also according to the American (military and civilian) press.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... A620120127

http://www.stripes.com/news/german-loca ... s-1.167869

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:It is new information to me. I'm questioning it because the relationship between GIs and the locals, at least here in Germany, is described as transcending mere cordiality. I don't doubt that criminals might have occasionally targeted soldiers, but the general picture is a positive one also according to the American (military and civilian) press.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... A620120127

http://www.stripes.com/news/german-loca ... s-1.167869
No one is disputing that the general relationship between soldiers and locals is fairly good (notwithstanding Colchester and possibly Rheindahlen!) but drunken, lone soldiers are an easy target in most cases and the incidences of civilian/military friction are higher in locations with a large population of soldiers (shockingly).

It is not unusual in towns near Garrisons to witness signs in bars saying 'no soldiers'.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Not that surprised. Also wouldn't be surprised if its origin is in sexism - small => feminine => bad.
Well, then. To whom do I apologize to for being 6'3"? Oh, and do I get to amend it to "Giant White Cock Of Authority?" Or would it be Giant's "White Cock Of Authority"? Imagine my dilemma...
You'll have to apologize to me. I'm less heighty than you.
I don't have the conversion memorized from metric to your fucked up system, but I'm only 5' sumthin.
CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

But from my point of view you shall be granted the enhanced title of Giant, if I may be the assigned Dwarf? But only with the addition of Aryan - yeah fine, heavily balding since turning 18 and shaving my longish hair off for military service and practical reasons, but very blond and blue eyed with a touch of grey, I guess I'm such a Nazi... *pfft*

Oh, shit. I just remembered, don't you use a wheel chair at times? Well, on those occasions, I'll check my privilege, but you stay the giant. ;)

Fuck, and I thought small and petite was a turn on for some. (Wouldn't that be a from of privilege?) It can be a turn for me [depending on personality], but I hope I'll never really anger one of the smallest gals I know. She's very capable of "fucking you into the ground" verbally. Darn, one of the strongest-minded but caring persons I had the luck to meet. And she didn't mind holding my hand while I was that depressive sobbing waste of flesh not too long ago. Well, being home for two weeks I might manage to find time to meet her and thank her again.

Altair

Post by Altair »

John Brown wrote:
Other than that, it's going to be a cruel, cruel waiting game. But, don't feel like you have to struggle through it alone. I'm sure most here would agree, even if we don't really "know" each other in real life, we still "know" each other. So, don't hesitate to PM if you just need to talk.
I don't have any information or first-hand experience with cancer, so I'm just going to reiterate what John said. I know most of us are far away from each other, and we've never met personally, but if you need to talk, to vent or find something we can help you, you can count on me (and surely on everyone else here, I just don't want to speak for someone other than myself).

I hope things get better, and stay strong.

lost control

Post by lost control »

I'd so do the dishes. Like afterwards.
To be honest, I'd buy a dish washer, but only if she promises to still dress up like that.

/misogyny attempt.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tigzy wrote:@Renee

My dad's nearly finished his course of chemo for Lymphoma. Might have to see if he needs some radiotherapy afterwards, but so far, things seem to be okay. It's incredible how much he looks like Hunter S Thompson when bald as a coot. Anyways, Feel free to send me a PM about it any time you wish.
I hope everything goes well with your dad. I'm a lymphoma survivor myself(Hodgkins-the least bad kind)and I've also worked as a radiation therapist, so if there's anyway I can help just let me know.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Sorry to hear this Renee. Somehow I missed your post and responded to Tgzy's response to it. As i told him, I'm a lymphoma survivor and I've also worked in cancer clinics, so if you have any questions I could answer please let me know.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Who needs feminism?

Not this man.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Renee, we don't know each other but let me say this: I tried imagining myself in the same position, hearing the same news about my wife and best friend and my mind wouldn't do it.
For what (possibly very little) it is worth, know that there are a great many people who have been rooting for you both since the moment they read your post. If you have a Paypal account let us know.

In a spirit of inappropriate levity, you could always contact Greta Christina. She seems to have some sort of special skill in dealing with deadly illness.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigzy wrote:@Renee

Thanks, I appreciate that.

My guy and I were just talking about stuff a bit ago. We made some fun - we both realized at the same time that he'd not have to be concerned about hair loss on his head as he shaves :D

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote: In a spirit of inappropriate levity, you could always contact Greta Christina. She seems to have some sort of special skill in dealing with deadly illness.
Hahaha. That is perfectly appropriate here.

Renee, you're in my thoughts.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gefan wrote:
Renee, we don't know each other but let me say this: I tried imagining myself in the same position, hearing the same news about my wife and best friend and my mind wouldn't do it.
For what (possibly very little) it is worth, know that there are a great many people who have been rooting for you both since the moment they read your post. If you have a Paypal account let us know.

In a spirit of inappropriate levity, you could always contact Greta Christina. She seems to have some sort of special skill in dealing with deadly illness.
LOL Yeah, think I'll pass on contacting Greta.

A bit more - apparently since they did a needle biopsy, that's the reason why there's some question as to whether or not it is cancer. The ENT doctor is scheduling him for more in-depth things in the next few weeks.

I'm really very grateful for all the responses today. I'm a little less scared :)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hahaha, yes! You could always ask Greta Christina for some of that leftover money. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to pass it along! :lol:

Seriously, though, tell your guy to hang in there, Renee! And you, too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:Hahaha, yes! You could always ask Greta Christina for some of that leftover money. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to pass it along! :lol:

Seriously, though, tell your guy to hang in there, Renee! And you, too. :handgestures-thumbupright:
:D Thanks!

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Pitchguest wrote:Who needs feminism?

Not this man.
Good 'ol paternity fraud.

That's why I am an advocate for DNA tests. A woman asking "Don't you trust me?", or getting all "offended" is just a fucking red herring. I put much more stock on people's capacity to act like the animals that we are and to then to lie about it forever. You don't? Then, by all means, carry on being a chump and believing that people are all that they say they are...

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

JackRayner wrote:

Not this man.

That's why I am an advocate for DNA tests. A woman asking "Don't you trust me?", or getting all "offended" is just a fucking red herring. I put much more stock on people's capacity to act like the animals that we are and to then to lie about it forever. You don't? Then, by all means, carry on being a chump and believing that people are all that they say they are...
Barring any bizarre extenuating circumstances, women are always, 100% sure that their child is theirs. Men only have probability to fall back on.

I don't agree with mandatory DNA testing, but I think it should only take one parent to request such a thing at the time of birth.

Rystefn

Re: Modes of transportation and the feeble mind

Post by Rystefn »

welch wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:So, let me get this straight, Watson doesn't learn to drive until she's in her thirties (presumably because she was never sober enough to get behind the wheel) and McFreight rode a bike for the first time last year. What is wrong with these people? Then we have McFreight's dad, who is going to beat up the internet because they're making fun of his princess, but he couldn't even take the time to teach her to ride a friggin' bicycle. Man that's just weird.
Watson lives in Boston. That's actually common for that area. My mom grew up in chicago, she never learned to drive, she had no need.

The bike thing is...yeah, how the fuck do you grow up and never ride a bike?
I never owned a bike a kid. Never needed one as an adult.Might be on her parents.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I work in cancer research.
You need to get answers to three questions.
First, does he have lymphoma (it might be a reactive condition or an infection rather than lymphoma)
Second, if it IS lymphoma, which type is it - there are many different kinds.
Third, if it IS lymphoma, and you know which type, what stage is it - this will determine the treatment and most likely prognosis.

Overall lymphoma is not one of the worst malignancies to get.
It does need to be treated quickly though, to ensure you have the best chances of getting rid of it.
There are a lot of new drugs coming on the market that are showing very good effects in various malignancies, including lymphoma so even the worst kind will be much more treatable these days than it would have even a decade ago.
If you find out the answers to the three questions above you can PM me and I can give you a more accurate picture.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

soldierwhy wrote:It is not unusual in towns near Garrisons to witness signs in bars saying 'no soldiers'.
I never saw one. You sure that's not an urban legend?

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Rystefn wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:It is not unusual in towns near Garrisons to witness signs in bars saying 'no soldiers'.
I saw them up north in Germany, but never down south.

It's not that explicit in Japan or Korea. You're just made very unwelcome once you step inside certain establishments.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

Rystefn wrote:
Quite common in the parts of Germany that I have been based - Bremen, Hannover, Rheindahlen, Lippstadt, Soltau, Krefeld, Hohne, Soest, Herford, Fallingbostel, Osnabruck and Dortmund.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

soldierwhy wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Quite common in the parts of Germany that I have been based - Bremen, Hannover, Rheindahlen, Lippstadt, Soltau, Krefeld, Hohne, Soest, Herford, Fallingbostel, Osnabruck and Dortmund.
Guess I was just lucky, then... or wasn't looking for them so they didn't register... or a million other reasons I wouldn't have seen any, I guess.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Lol Feminism

[youtube]g032MPrSjFA[/youtube]

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

John Brown wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

Not this man.

Barring any bizarre extenuating circumstances, women are always, 100% sure that their child is theirs. Men only have probability to fall back on.

I don't agree with mandatory DNA testing, but I think it should only take one parent to request such a thing at the time of birth.
I think they should be mandatory for mothers seeking child support. None of this your name is on the birth certificate as the father so you're fucked-nonsense that some places have as a "law". Definitely agree on the only having to need one of the "parents", since even I can understand that some women will find the proposition extremely offensive to their civilized sensibilities.

I, however, in the event that I change my mind and decide to have children, would make it very clear from the start that I would be requiring a DNA test. More so when I don't practice monogamy*. I didn't pay for other dude's kids when I dated single mothers monogamously, so I sure as Hell won't be doing it otherwise.

*Yeah, sorry to trouble you gentlemen and gentleladies with this most barbarous topic again, but here goes: Whatever my reasons for abandoning monogamous relationships may have been, after becoming involved with enough women who were supposed to be in monogamous relationships, and who never even dream of fessing up to their boyfriends/fiances/whatevers about what they've done/continue to do, I strongly doubt that I will be returning to monogamy. Ha...
:hankey:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

katamari Damassi wrote:Question: I've made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to embed a youtube video. I've tried using the youtube feature when posting and I've tried using the embed feature on youtube, neither one worked for me. What am I doing wrong?
Aha!!! Another chance for me to post my every-so-often YouTube Embedding Tutorial:

A youtube video url will come in two different types. The kind with the video code at the end, and the kind with the code in the middle. You need to strip off this extra stuff before putting the code (alone) between the youtube tags.

Here are two different urls going to the same video:

Code: Select all

code at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KkfT2pGsWg

and code in the middle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KkfT2pGsWg&list=PLF070CB616ACA2D04&index=14
Always get rid of everything up to and including, the first (or only) equal sign "=".
The stuff after it is the code, but note in the second example, there is extra stuff after the code.
The extra stuff after always begins with an "&" followed by whatever extra stuff.
Strip off the &'s and the extra stuff following at the end.

To sum it up, just keep the part between the first "=" and the first "&" (if there is one).

We are left with just the code: 7KkfT2pGsWg so...

Code: Select all

Now put that inside youtube tags:
[youtube]7KkfT2pGsWg[/youtube]
The above tag and code will become this when posted:

[youtube]7KkfT2pGsWg[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
I work in cancer research.
You need to get answers to three questions.
First, does he have lymphoma (it might be a reactive condition or an infection rather than lymphoma)
Second, if it IS lymphoma, which type is it - there are many different kinds.
Third, if it IS lymphoma, and you know which type, what stage is it - this will determine the treatment and most likely prognosis.

Overall lymphoma is not one of the worst malignancies to get.
It does need to be treated quickly though, to ensure you have the best chances of getting rid of it.
There are a lot of new drugs coming on the market that are showing very good effects in various malignancies, including lymphoma so even the worst kind will be much more treatable these days than it would have even a decade ago.
If you find out the answers to the three questions above you can PM me and I can give you a more accurate picture.
Ok, will do. We should be finding out more soon. We're waiting on a call back today (at least to schedule him in for a more intensive look). Thanks!

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

JackRayner wrote:
John Brown wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

I think they should be mandatory for mothers seeking child support. None of this your name is on the birth certificate as the father so you're fucked-nonsense that some places have as a "law". Definitely agree on the only having to need one of the "parents", since even I can understand that some women will find the proposition extremely offensive to their civilized sensibilities.

I, however, in the event that I change my mind and decide to have children, would make it very clear from the start that I would be requiring a DNA test. More so when I don't practice monogamy*. I didn't pay for other dude's kids when I dated single mothers monogamously, so I sure as Hell won't be doing it otherwise.

*Yeah, sorry to trouble you gentlemen and gentleladies with this most barbarous topic again, but here goes: Whatever my reasons for abandoning monogamous relationships may have been, after becoming involved with enough women who were supposed to be in monogamous relationships, and who never even dream of fessing up to their boyfriends/fiances/whatevers about what they've done/continue to do, I strongly doubt that I will be returning to monogamy. Ha...
:hankey:
Ah, yes. If the state is going after you for child support, then a paternity test should be absolutely mandatory. No test, no support.

Agreed.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

The ENT doctor is scheduling him for more in-depth things in the next few weeks.
Ent Doctor is not amused:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglan ... i2FGrvbO0g

Hope all goes well for your guy, Renée.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

SPACKlick wrote:
franc wrote:Sounds like applying the concept of karma for practical common benefit to me.

It's kinda fundamentalist to simply ditch a word because of its preconceived associations rather than ruminate on the ideas behind the word. Sure, it has it's roots in eastern mysticism - but that does not automatically mean it's gibberish glasshoppa.
No, it's applying true concepts for practical benefit, rather than taking a woo concept and all its baggage and trying to 1) apply it as a white lie to benefit society 2) Strip away the baggage.

enlightened self interest = good, true, useful
Karma = woo and not useful in and of itself.
My view on karma - take care; because the feet you stand on today may be connected to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:

Not this man.

This kind of story surfaces pretty frequently in the "Manosphere" (when some of these guys post comments they are labelled as a mysogynist BTW). What is not mentioned in this story is that quite often, while the guy is in jail for failure to make payments, even if the payments exceed his income or are excessive enough that he is unable to support himself, the clock on support payments is still running. The USA has in effect reinstated debtors prisons. The court apparently issues "contempt of court" or similar legal fictions.

Link reposted:
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-07-15/just ... s=PM:CRIME
Court documents show that Hatley for the most part continued to make payments. He was jailed for six months in 2006 for falling behind on payments during a period of unemployment, but afterward he resumed making payments and continued to do so even after he lost another job in 2008 and became homeless, court records state.

Last year, he again became unable to maintain the payments and was once again jailed.

Before anyone calls me out for spewing bullshit, here is the 2010 report by the Michigan court about the underground economy and child support system.

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/resourc ... F-2010.pdf
PREVENTION PRINCIPLE 3: Indigent prisoners and jail inmates should not accrue any
additional support arrears until they regain their freedom and the ability to earn income.
Some of you guys have no clue how far this rot has spread. When some guys spout off about "living under the jackboots of the gynocrocy" they are being perfectly serious, because they are.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Altair wrote:
John Brown wrote:
Other than that, it's going to be a cruel, cruel waiting game. But, don't feel like you have to struggle through it alone. I'm sure most here would agree, even if we don't really "know" each other in real life, we still "know" each other. So, don't hesitate to PM if you just need to talk.
I don't have any information or first-hand experience with cancer, so I'm just going to reiterate what John said. I know most of us are far away from each other, and we've never met personally, but if you need to talk, to vent or find something we can help you, you can count on me (and surely on everyone else here, I just don't want to speak for someone other than myself).

I hope things get better, and stay strong.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto - To Renee and everyone else who has shared the crap going on in their lives at various times, here at the Slymepit.

welch

Post by welch »

LMU wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Honestly, the worst part of having a podcast is the audience.
:lol:

Question for welch: I liked your posts but why should we mock them? If they are trolls should we not ignore them? Don't we run the risk of inadvertently advertising for them the way PZ does for us?

Note I'm not actually suggesting that we do just ignore them, or I wouldn't be lurking here and laughing at them.

Also thank yous to Lsuoma, SN, RH, and others for being patient with new people and explaining youtube tags.
Because the issue is, they aren't actually "trolls" in the classic sense. "Manipulators" would be the more correct version. For example, take the apple TV. Not the product they actually SELL, but the unicorn that is a screen of random sizes with an apple logo on it and will magically solve all the problems of the TV and cable industries.

There are a lot, and I mean a LOT of people heavily invested in pumping this up, and it is a great way to generate traffic. We, (AMB) and a few others spend a lot of time bolloxing these arguments, because they actually can have a real effect. If enough idiots dominate the conversation to say Apple "missed" a ship date on an unannounced product, that can affect their stock price, even though it is complete bullshit. So allowing them to make such specious claims unanswered is actually bad.

Same thing with Watson et al, only there's an even bigger reason. In every city you see these events at, there are smart people. Local people. They can speak on a wide range of subjects of interest to the skeptical community with authority and style. Every time, EVERY time you fly in a speaker, you remove a chance to hear someone who may not be as well known, but just as smart. Look at the list for Skepticon 5. Who the fuck other than JT was even slightly local? I bet not more than 5. The more a small number of people dominate the speaking list for events, the more homogenous those events become. If I see the same fucking speakers over and over at various conventions, why the hell should I go to more than one? Is the content of JT, Greta, Anthony Pinn, Dillahunty's talks going to be any different between Skepticon or the North Texas event?

This is why I'm NOT talking at Macworld, because I wanted to make a space for someone else. I'm on the committee, it's not like I need to get approval. But if I talk, someone else can't, and I'm tired of hearing myself talk. So this way, someone new gets a shot.

The biggest reason given is "without names, we don't get people". Bullshit. What names let you do is fuck off on the marketing. You just throw the names up there, and you're done. Well fuck that. Do some goddamned work. Get really smart locals and sell them. I mean fuck, if the shampoo industry was able to permanently double their revenues via the word "repeat", I think you can convince a sympathetic audience that they should come here really smart, albeit unfamous people talk.

If people do *not* actively raise their voices against the bullshit of Watson et al, then that's all people hear. That's not good.

It's not a crusade, this isn't "fighting the good fight" or anything silly like that. It's just making sure that a bunch of New Media Douchebag hucksters don't become the only voice for your group.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Hey Welch - seems your recent blog post has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... agreement/

Svan, you wouldn't know a principled disagreement from a suppository.
http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... a-fee-fee/

stupid sow, i'm not playing by her rules.
Somewhat apropos, a big hello to Stephanie on her latest post where my comment is still – surprise, surprise – “awaiting moderation”:

http://i46.tinypic.com/a9tp1t.jpg

acathode

Post by acathode »

sacha wrote:
Rape culture holds men, and only men, responsible for what women do. And thanks, but I prefer to be responsible for my own fucking behaviour.
I recently looked up "Rape culture" on wikipedia, because I was seeing the term thrown around quite a bit and wanted to know the exact meaning (not just what I kinda assumed or guessed the term meant).
According to wiki:
Within feminism, rape culture is a concept used to describe a culture in which rape and sexual violence are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media normalize, excuse, tolerate, or even condone rape.

Examples of behaviors commonly associated with rape culture include victim blaming, sexual objectification, and trivializing rape. Rape culture has been used to model behaviour within social groups, including prison systems where prison rape is common and conflict areas where war rape is used as psychological warfare. Entire countries have also been alleged to be rape cultures.
I have to say, reading that explanation, I'm puzzle why feminists would even use it. I can see why you could apply the term to US prisons, but on looking western society at large, rape against a women is probably one of the worst crimes you can commit. Few other criminals are so hated by the public as rapists, anyone that think rape is normalized in our society or condoned by media in our society can't ever have watched the or read the news?

If anything, one could make a more compelling case that there exist a rape culture against men, considering that it's not even illegal for a woman to rape a man in many western countries (extreme trivializing). Then there's the news and media actually use sexual violence against men as a comedy routine (condoning), and the victim blaming that goes on in large because men are assumed to always want sex, so that if someone rapes a man she's not committing a crime, she's doing him a favor*.

*There was a interesting case in Sweden two years ago where a 16yo girl had consensual sex with two 13yo boys, and faced charges for child rape (age of consent is 15). The court let her go, with the motivation that if anything, to quote the verdict, the boys had taken advantage of the girl to get an early sexual debut.
While I IMO think that the law is pretty fucked up and that the girl did nothing morally wrong, it's very obvious that the law is being applied very sexists, since a few 15/16 yo boys have been found guilty for having fully consensual sex with their 2-3 year younger girlfriends.

To Renee and your guy, I really hope that things turn out ok!

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Hey Welch - seems your recent blog post has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... agreement/

Svan, you wouldn't know a principled disagreement from a suppository.
http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... a-fee-fee/

stupid sow, i'm not playing by her rules.
Somewhat apropos, a big hello to Stephanie on her latest post where my comment is still – surprise, surprise – “awaiting moderation”:

http://i46.tinypic.com/a9tp1t.jpg
Of course it's still in moderation! Don't you know that "witch hunt" is a misogynist term? And don't be giving me any lip about all of this "context" nonsense! :whistle:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Opheliar Benson is attacking Michael Shermer again. It is a real train wreck! Also, take a look at PZ's comment!

LAUGHING MY FUCKING ARSE OFF.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Ophelia was very quick with the banhammer, but not quite quick enough...

http://i.imgur.com/7dPbt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/53jsn.jpg

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

So, to avoid admitting she's a clueless cunt who wants to hide her hypocrisy away behind a banhammer, we get this "brilliant" rationalisation...

http://i.imgur.com/2Fv7d.jpg

Again, Ophelia is quick with the banhammer, but not quite quick enough... (shame, eh!)

http://i.imgur.com/1mYB6.jpg

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Sure, brag about a million hits...can't you for once think about the poor women?
Which ones have been hit a million times?
Reminds me of having read many years ago Xavier Hollander’s The Happy Hooker – highly recommended – in which she described having given a talk at which she invited some guy from the audience to come up on stage for a demonstration – speaking of embarassing conference attendees. And when one volunteered she asked him if he would like to kiss her to which he acceded with some enthusiasm and after which she said, “Congratulations; you’ve just kissed the lips that have sucked a thousand cocks”.

Methinks some seriously fucked up attitudes towards sex and to prostitution which , more generally in America than elsewhere, is due, no doubt, to the influence of fundamentalist Christianity as suggested by the previous cartoon on Jesus and Sex. And an attitude at whose doorstep one might lay no small amount of blame for the fact that prostitutes are murdered at a rate that is some seven times higher than the next largest profession, male taxicab drivers.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yeah right. It's not Ophelia's fault people find her talks boring as hell and don't listen. Its society thats to blame.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Opheliar Benson is attacking Michael Shermer again.
Prune, dear sour, oblivious Prune - why can you not see that you are providing a textbook example of what you would define as cyberstalking?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Indeed. This is now Ophelia's new excuse for people thinking she talks a load of shit - that her voice is too high-pitched.

Strange thing is, there are plenty of women I can listen to, some of which have high-pitched voices. Then again, they have actual talent, unlike Opheliar, whose recent posts have been a complete and total embarassment.