The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Bhurzum »

comhcinc wrote:The best one.
I'd run like fuck if he attacked me... :o

In fact, I'd summon the high-heeled-head-of-state to deal with the fucker!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thanks Com. I'll take my shank. Good luck to you and Rayshul.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Ugh. A week after the Orlando gay club murder spree, my prediction that the narrative would be about race and trans is coming true. Feministing, Huffpo, and even the Advocate are all pushing the story that the shooter was targeting the latin and trans communities.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:It's this sort of self serving mental terraforming that makes RC a danger, His is a strictly true view that ignores the moral and ethical implications of SSA's action.
That is amazing. He seriously has no shame. Policy was in the way of getting laid, so he ditches it. So he can leverage his speaking position into pussy, which I would have sworn some FtBs used to find pretty offensive. A certain recently minted PhD comes to mind.

How does he keep talking to you, Brive? More credit to him, but he blocked me for far less.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Well, my "thick one" is always fashionable!

http://66.media.tumblr.com/057359f1b52a ... 0r_500.gif
A thick one is nice to find when the pants come down. Long and thick, that is, not some stubby 1"x1" technical choad, just to clarify. :P
And much widom is spoketh. Amen.
It's all the wisdom I have, but I don't mind sharing it. :lol:

CaptainFluffyBunny

katamari Damassi wrote:Ugh. A week after the Orlando gay club murder spree, my prediction that the narrative would be about race and trans is coming true. Feministing, Huffpo, and even the Advocate are all pushing the story that the shooter was targeting the latin and trans communities.
In all seriousness, how does it feel to be thrown under the bus by such a large group of people supposedly about social justice? Gays getting the right to marry eliminated all homophobia in the same way a black president eliminated racism. But they've lumped gay white guys in with the rest of us privilege holders. Is there any good pushback?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

katamari Damassi wrote:Ugh. A week after the Orlando gay club murder spree, my prediction that the narrative would be about race and trans is coming true. Feministing, Huffpo, and even the Advocate are all pushing the story that the shooter was targeting the latin and trans communities.
NPR hasn't gone that far yet (that I've heard). Links?

Really?

Post by Really? »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:It's this sort of self serving mental terraforming that makes RC a danger, His is a strictly true view that ignores the moral and ethical implications of SSA's action.
That is amazing. He seriously has no shame. Policy was in the way of getting laid, so he ditches it. So he can leverage his speaking position into pussy, which I would have sworn some FtBs used to find pretty offensive. A certain recently minted PhD comes to mind.

How does he keep talking to you, Brive? More credit to him, but he blocked me for far less.
My theory is that he sees Brive as a gnat and enjoys swatting him away with the truth of the matter. It's debate practice for him. A boxer sparring with a twelve-year-old to keep his instincts sharp.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

In all seriousness, how does it feel to be thrown under the bus by such a large group of people supposedly about social justice? Gays getting the right to marry eliminated all homophobia in the same way a black president eliminated racism. But they've lumped gay white guys in with the rest of us privilege holders. Is there any good pushback?

Wait.....wait,wait. Are you saying that if Clinton gets elected it will be the end to misogyny?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 831d67.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote:

My theory is that he sees Brive as a gnat and enjoys swatting him away with the truth of the matter. It's debate practice for him. A boxer sparring with a twelve-year-old to keep his instincts sharp.

I am only posting this because I feel I need to.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/anim ... 9881_o.gif
Have to keep my fans happy.

CaptainFluffyBunny

comhcinc wrote:

Wait.....wait,wait. Are you saying that if Clinton gets elected it will be the end to misogyny?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 831d67.jpg
Oh, no, I'm guessing it will increase misogyny. It's Hillary.

Reminds me of a joke I heard when Bill Clinton was president. He goes to a baseball game with Hillary. Right after the national anthem he suddenly picks up Hillary and tosses her on the field! One of the Secret Service agents leans over and says "No, Mr. President, the first pitch.

Still gonna vote for her, though. Sigh.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

comhcinc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Captain Fluffy Bunny: Check your email.

Yes check I got something for you too!

http://i.imgur.com/D6a8MOn.jpg
Nice to see him wearing something other than the polo shirt. Still red, tho

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

The Orlando incident is "about" mental illness, Islamic homophobia, and guns.

It's not "about" American foreign policy, anti-Muslim bigotry, or opposition to gay marriage.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:Look what Carrier said just this week about his student-fucking policy, bolding mine :
Richard Carrier wrote:So the SSA didn’t have to pick sides in a dispute. There wasn’t any dispute. I did not challenge the complaint (believing it to be describing the only actual incident it could possibly have been describing). And they already noted that I had publicly said years ago that if I wanted to have the freedom to date students (and thus express interest in them), and the SSA insisted on that being against policy, “I’d just withdraw from the SSA Speaker’s Bureau.” So we agreed that’s what I should do. And I did. I haven’t been on it for over a year. And I since date or have dated students or former students, without incident.
http://archive.is/cgbQJ#selection-5517.0-5532.0
We know that Carrier "dates" college girls. Yes, that is pretty fucking skeevy at his age, but then Shermer was pretty skeevy when he got with a woman half his age at TAM. ....

Skeeviness may be the underlying the problem here, but the proximate problem is that Carrier violated specific conference policies after having publicly stated his personal disagreement with them. ....

<snip>
Agreed. Although no one has been accused of wrongdoing at Camp Quest, at least not yet. That was just an exercise in creative writing from Team CHUD.
"skeevy"? As in "unnatural", and "should be anathematized from pulpits across the land"? Seems kind of judgemental and not particularly "sex positive". While I'll concede that Carrier might well have crossed the line on various conference policies and should maybe be taken to task for it, one might suggest that that characterization of "skeeviness" is rather "problematic".

For one thing, I think it is characterizing all young women, and men, above the age of consent as air-headed bimbos that don't know their own minds, and aren't to be trusted with any "agency" at all. Seem to recollect that Sacha (with a "c" as in cunt) - whatever happened to her? - at age 14 or so, if I'm not mistaken, was rather enthusiastic about seducing the father of her best friend (?). Rather a wide spectrum on the ability to handle such situations at that "tender" age - don't think it helps much to tar all for the sins of the few, so to speak.

But I'll also agree that more than a few, including here, have apparently let their "creative writing" abilities get the better of their judgement. Creating hypotheticals is all fine and dandy - as long as one keeps in mind that, sans evidence, that's all they are.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I suspect that the Sheffield Uni and Thunderf00t graph thing has made him wary of the Pit and it's worth having one eye open on us. But I'd assume my time is short.

katamari Damassi

Skep tickle wrote:
I haven't heard anything like that on NPR yet. Here's the Advocate: http://www.advocate.com/youth/2016/6/17 ... ulse-vigil

katamari Damassi

There's a lot of pushback in the comments, which is heartening. It's the media that's infested by the SJW minority.

Really?

Post by Really? »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
I haven't heard anything like that on NPR yet. Here's the Advocate: http://www.advocate.com/youth/2016/6/17 ... ulse-vigil

Am I the only one annoyed by this:
And she wanted to read the names. She thought some people might have trouble pronouncing the Spanish names properly, so she volunteered because “they deserve to be spoken correctly.”
If your name is Katrina Statinski and you are in the United States, you cannot expect to hear your name spoken with all of its Eastern European flavor. You should only take offense if the speaker is clearly being an asshole about it.

On Modern Family, the Columbian trophy wife character calls her husband "Yay," not "Jay." And that's okay. Oy vey.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote: ??? Generally familiar with the reference, although it seems to have a lot of connotations and uses, but Manson was saying otherwise?
To be fair, it's probably a failure on my part - my memory of "helter skelter" was that of a race war predicted by Manson. I was playing to the "Steers = Hitler" 'pit-meme but failed miserably. C'est la vie, non?

Steersman wrote:But, en passant, nice analysis of the British Army - not at all a "word salad". :-) Though I had thought you had been in the US rather than in the UK forces. Learn something new every day and all that.
Thanks. I tend to avoid longer posts because you intellectual types shouldn't be subjected to my barely-literate scribblings. Who knows, maybe I'll assault the forum with longer posts in future?

Oh, and nope, I'm British - pip pip, tally ho, huzzah etc. I done my bit for Queen and country in the British Army, old chap!
Steersman wrote:But I'm curious about your position on Brexit <snippety>
I am 100% pro-Brexit. The EU is undemocratic in nature (some would argue anti-democratic) and as such, I cannot support it or the parties who do so. All other aspects and considerations (immigration, security, financial, trade regulations/agreements etc) play second fiddle to our sovereignty.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 59851a.jpg

Obviously, now that I've said that, the ghost of "Cunt" will appear and start calling me a fascist.

:doh:

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:What show is that from? It looks fun.
"Rescue me"

It's a great show but drags on a bit during the last couple of series and truth be told, it's pretty much a vehicle for Dennis Leary. Oh, and they drive you nuts by hammering the "I'm Irish" button every episode.
It's Dennis Leary? Anyone know where he stole it from so I can watch the original?
The specific episode is called "Sensitivity": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0685323/

Again, I can't find the full scene on youtube, but the entire episide is available on Youtube for $1.99:

Amazon video has it for the same price. No doubt it can be torrented, but I don't do that unless the material I want isn't available any other way for a reasonable fee.

If you like Rescue Me (personally, I like it when it's funny but it spends too much time being angsty overall), I also recommend Sirens. Leary isn't in it but it's his concept and some of the writing.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

BoxNDox wrote:The specific episode is called "Sensitivity" <snip>
I linked to the full show (all episodes/seasons) but maybe she missed it?

http://www.watchseries.li/serie/rescue_me

(an ad-blocker is strongly advised!)

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Speaking of Brexit, it looks like Sargon and Tf00t are going to have an all out nerd fight about it tomorrow:
[youtube]gm1xZh5fqY8[/youtube]

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Steersman wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Skeeviness may be the underlying the problem here, but the proximate problem is that Carrier violated specific conference policies after having publicly stated his personal disagreement with them...

<snip>

Agreed. Although no one has been accused of wrongdoing at Camp Quest, at least not yet. That was just an exercise in creative writing from Team CHUD.
"skeevy"? As in "unnatural", and "should be anathematized from pulpits across the land"? Seems kind of judgemental and not particularly "sex positive".
Not sure whether I've ever claimed to be sex positive.
I tend to embrace a live-and-let-live attitude when it comes to consenting adults, but if a man my age was trying to hook up with teenage girls at any given freethought event, I'd certainly have some misgivings about his character. We atheists have enough of a reputational problem as it is, without playing right into the religious right's caricature of us as predatory sexual libertines.
Steersman wrote:While I'll concede that Carrier might well have crossed the line on various conference policies and should maybe be taken to task for it, one might suggest that that characterization of "skeeviness" is rather "problematic".
A middle-aged man trying to score with coeds is basically the working definition of skeevy, my friend.
Steersman wrote:For one thing, I think it is characterizing all young women, and men, above the age of consent as air-headed bimbos that don't know their own minds, and aren't to be trusted with any "agency" at all.
There is ample scientific evidence telling us not to expect teenagers to reason well about long-term consequences. Share and enjoy.
Steersman wrote: I'll also agree that more than a few, including here, have apparently let their "creative writing" abilities get the better of their judgement. Creating hypotheticals is all fine and dandy - as long as one keeps in mind that, sans evidence, that's all they are.
At least we can agree about something.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

In other Carrier news, I got a reply back from SSA

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016061 ... 9adddd.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Presumably anyone can register for SSACon, to be held at Ohio State University in Columbus OH in a couple of weeks.

SSA conference policies here have some interesting bits. Bolding below was added by me. Comments in blue were added by me & are asides or refer to links whether carried over or not. Green below was added by me to point out differences in 2 sources.

From the SSA Con policies page:
SSA wrote:To help make the SSA conference a great experience for everyone, please read and follow these policies and regulations for the event. Many of these are drawn from campus policy and could cause repercussions for our host group if they are violated. <snip, snip>

6. The SSA is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for every one; regardless of race, color, national origin, age, creed, worldview, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. For more details on this policy, see below.
It's interesting that this differs from the OSU student conduct policy (also understandable, given that religion somes up at SSACon and given that it's a private group, not a government agency). Note this similar but not identical section from the student conduct policy (key differences are in green):
OSU wrote:Misconduct, other than constitutionally protected expression, motivated by bias based on age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status may be considered an aggravating factor for sanctioning. Impairment resulting from voluntary use of alcohol or drugs (i.e., other than medically necessary) will also be considered an aggravating, and not a mitigating, factor.
Back to the SSA conference policy:
SSA wrote:7. If you choose to form a physical relationship with a fellow attendee, please keep in mind that such relationships should always be safe, consensual, and legal.
  • Safe: Use appropriate protection in order to minimize the risk of STDs and unwanted pregnancy. (Is it a violation of conference policy if those choosing to engage in sexual activity choose not to use protection? :think: ) There are many convenience stores on and around campus that provide protection options (including Plan B). More information can be found here. (Links to Planned Parenthood page on safer sex)
  • Consensual: Obtain affirmative, conscious, and voluntary agreement (Links to Brute Reason tumblr post, see comment below) from all parties before engaging in sexual activity. Passive consent, silence, and intoxicated consent are NOT consent! What does consent look like? (Links to Sex Etc By teens For Teens page on consent)
  • Legal: Because SSA Con may have attendees under 18, please keep in mind the age of consent of the state you are in. (In Ohio, the age of consent is 16 (see comment below).)
The link under "age of consent is 16" is bizarre - it's to the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center, 140 miles from Columbus, & the page linked doesn't say anything about the age of consent.

Surely they could link to something even a little more appropriate, for example this page, which also includes other potentially useful information:
Columbus Criminal Defense Attorney wrote:One major exception (to age of consent being 16) is if someone is a teacher, administrator, coach, or in another position of authority over the accuser. If a person is in such a position of authority, and [/b]engages in sexual conduct with a minor (defined as under the age of 18 under Ohio law), then the person in authority may be guilty of the crime of “Sexual Battery,”[/b] in violation of Ohio Revised Code Section 2907.03(A)(8),(9), and (13).
In addition, the link to Miri's Tumblr page is kinda odd - this is the image:

http://i.imgur.com/oGMbVNr.png

Note the main image - the larger one, on top - says at bottom "Yes means Yes" but the image includes several questions that a vulnerable person might answer "Yes" without actually feeling like they mean "Yes": "Are you ok?", "Do you want to leave with him/her?", etc. So, hmm. Surely there could be a better link for this part, too.

Back to excerpts from the policy:
SSA wrote:8. Treat all attendees, speakers, and exhibitors with respect.

9. If you are staying in the dorms, please read and follow all dorm policies (provided with registration). This specifically includes the following:
  • No alcohol is permitted anywhere on campus, including in the dorms.
  • <snip>
10. We reserve the right to ask you to leave the conference if you are behaving - in technical terms - like a jerk.

<snip, snip>

We will take any reports of harassment or other inappropriate activity seriously. We consider harassment to be continued unwanted behavior directed toward another person. We hope it is obvious that you should not disparage your fellow conference goers on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, creed, worldview, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We further hope it is obvious that you should not make uninvited sexual comments toward anyone. If someone asks you to leave them alone or to otherwise stop a behavior that is directed toward them, comply with that person's wishes immediately.
They define what they mean by harassment, which is good. They hope that certain things are obvious, which is probably not ideal for a behavior policy (because there will be at least small differences between different people's assumptions about what's obvious, respectful, disparaging, or inappropriate).

And, has been observed before, how are people supposed to know whether a sexual comment will be considered to have been invited? Giggles and batted eyelashes? Casual touches as long as they're not both intentional and unwanted (see below)? Hours of conversation first about the Council of Nicea?

The next part all seems good except that "unwanted intentional physical contact" IMO needs to have some room for consideration of context - seems ridiculous to say "all" such episodes will lead to "immediate expulsion". A person could reach out to stop a stranger from falling down, then find out that that contact was "unwanted".
SSA wrote:... If you notice someone else is being harassed, or just seems uncomfortable, feel free to bring it to the attention of an SSA staff member or volunteer. If you are worried about your physical safety, exit the situation as soon as possible and call 911. Please let SSA staff know what happened once you are safe.

All incidents of violence, physical intimidation, and unwanted intentional physical contact will result in immediate expulsion from the SSA Conference. People who harass others or cause multiple complaints of disrespectful behavior may be required to leave. SSA staff members are happy to help participants contact local law enforcement, and otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe at our conference. ...

In addition to communicating with SSA staff and volunteers, please look out for each other. Don't leave people alone with others who are clearly bothering them. Make sure you are setting a good example.

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:In other Carrier news, I got a reply back from SSA

Can you point out that he was NOT removed from SSA events last year? He was a volunteer at the national convention and continued to speak at SSA orgs across the country.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

d4m10n wrote:Share and enjoy
The typos in that piece of shit are atrocious.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Really? wrote:

Can you point out that he was NOT removed from SSA events last year? He was a volunteer at the national convention and continued to speak at SSA orgs across the country.
+ a whole bunch

That reply from SSA is easily shown to be false.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote: Back to the SSA conference policy:
SSA wrote:7. If you choose to form a physical relationship with a fellow attendee, please keep in mind that such relationships should always be safe, consensual, and legal.
  • Safe: Use appropriate protection in order to minimize the risk of STDs and unwanted pregnancy. (Is it a violation of conference policy if those choosing to engage in sexual activity choose not to use protection? :think: ) There are many convenience stores on and around campus that provide protection options (including Plan B). More information can be found here. (Links to Planned Parenthood page on safer sex)
  • Consensual: Obtain affirmative, conscious, and voluntary agreement (Links to Brute Reason tumblr post, see comment below) from all parties before engaging in sexual activity. Passive consent, silence, and intoxicated consent are NOT consent! What does consent look like? (Links to Sex Etc By teens For Teens page on consent)
  • Legal: Because SSA Con may have attendees under 18, please keep in mind the age of consent of the state you are in. (In Ohio, the age of consent is 16 (see comment below).)
The link under "age of consent is 16" is bizarre - it's to the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center, 140 miles from Columbus, & the page linked doesn't say anything about the age of consent.
A "physical relationship with a fellow attendee?" Singular? Why not plural? I find it somewhat ironic that they are erasing polyamorous attendees.

And is it just me, or is that extensive sex policy a little disturbing? Sure, there may be a little sex going on at such a conference, but what's the line between trying to educate the attendees and making it seem like part of the program? And while it would be funny, I don't expect them to include a section about Richard Carrier, but they don't include anything about the speakers not having sex with the students. And yeah. That age of consent section is pretty disturbing.

I was at 0.1% before, but now I'm at 1% wondering what the hell is going on there.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
d4m10n wrote:Share and enjoy
The typos in that piece of shit are atrocious.
Here is a better edited article: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24173194

Same basic point, though.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Really? wrote:

If you care to aggregate the links, I'll happily raise the issue.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Really? wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Back to the SSA conference policy:
A "physical relationship with a fellow attendee?" Singular? Why not plural? I find it somewhat ironic that they are erasing polyamorous attendees.

And is it just me, or is that extensive sex policy a little disturbing? Sure, there may be a little sex going on at such a conference, but what's the line between trying to educate the attendees and making it seem like part of the program? And while it would be funny, I don't expect them to include a section about Richard Carrier, but they don't include anything about the speakers not having sex with the students. And yeah. That age of consent section is pretty disturbing.

I was at 0.1% before, but now I'm at 1% wondering what the hell is going on there.
They are very cool (or whatever the current term is) adults, acknowledging that college students have sex and also educating the students about the right way to go about it.

One line I clipped from the dorm policy is kinda funny given all the stuff about sex:
SSA wrote:
  • Do not allow anyone not registered for your room to stay in your room, both for safety reasons and to avoid intruding on your roommates.
Attendees might wonder, then, where all this mutually consensual sex is supposed to take place...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Really? wrote: A "physical relationship with a fellow attendee?" Singular? Why not plural? I find it somewhat ironic that they are erasing polyamorous attendees.
In case people don't understand, most people doing the poly thing are not threesomes and orgies and such. It tends to be just people have different sexual partners at the same time. Like say I am in a poly relationship with Watson and Benson. I might fuck Watson on Mondays and Benson on Tuesdays. I might even fuck Benson Wednesday mornings and Watson Wednesday afternoons but never together.

I hope I have painted a picture that everyone takes to bed with them tonight :D

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:One line I clipped from the dorm policy is kinda funny given all the stuff about sex:
SSA wrote:
  • Do not allow anyone not registered for your room to stay in your room, both for safety reasons and to avoid intruding on your roommates.
Attendees might wonder, then, where all this mutually consensual sex is supposed to take place...

Elevators?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Damion, consider this tweet by Carrier, he doesn't think he's banned:
Dr. Richard Carrier @RichardCCarrier

@brive1987 Wasn't banned. Removed from bureau. Speakers don't have to be on bureau, & when not, don't have to abide by the stricter policy.
8:27 AM - 19 Jun 2016

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

comhcinc wrote:
Really? wrote: A "physical relationship with a fellow attendee?" Singular? Why not plural? I find it somewhat ironic that they are erasing polyamorous attendees.
In case people don't understand, most people doing the poly thing are not threesomes and orgies and such. It tends to be just people have different sexual partners at the same time. Like say I am in a poly relationship with Watson and Benson. I might fuck Watson on Mondays and Benson on Tuesdays. I might even fuck Benson Wednesday mornings and Watson Wednesday afternoons but never together.

I hope I have painted a picture that everyone takes to bed with them tonight :D
You've painted it very fucking vividly. Now I'm off to puke my guts out.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

katamari Damassi wrote:
There's a lot of pushback in the comments, which is heartening. It's the media that's infested by the SJW minority.
katamari Damassi wrote:I haven't heard anything like that on NPR yet. Here's the Advocate: http://www.advocate.com/youth/2016/6/17 ... ulse-vigil
The photos show victims brown, black, and white. About half were from Puerto Rico, where mixed racial ancestry is common. From Wikipedia, for what that's worth, "Studies have shown that the ancestry of the 'average' Puerto Rican person (including Afro-Puerto Ricans) is about 64% European, 21% African, and 15% Taino/Amerindian, with European ancestry strongest on the west side of the island, African ancestry strongest on the east side, and consistent levels of Taino ancestry throughout the island" and "In the 2010 United States Census the total of Puerto Ricans that self-identified as White was 75.8%." As pointed out in the comments at the Advocate, Latino/a is an ethnicity, not a race.

What's struck me, that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (not that I've gone looking specifically), is that by far most of the victims were men, presumably cis gay men. Maybe that's just so obvious it isn't being mentioned?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Where I Stand at the Moment Actually, I'm reclining in bed. Laazzzy

I think any woman dumb enough to be fucking Carrier, let alone openly, is too stupid to work with children or be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

Thank you

I think the same thing could be said about a lot of people and I include myself on that list.

Btw how ya feeling?
What? You, too? I hope you made him pay for the dinner.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Damion, consider this tweet by Carrier, he doesn't think he's banned:

@brive1987 Wasn't banned. Removed from bureau. Speakers don't have to be on bureau, & when not, don't have to abide by the stricter policy.
I've already replied to that tweet.
Looking forward to his response.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Where I Stand at the Moment Actually, I'm reclining in bed. Laazzzy

I think any woman dumb enough to be fucking Carrier, let alone openly, is too stupid to work with children or be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

Thank you

I think the same thing could be said about a lot of people and I include myself on that list.

Btw how ya feeling?
What? You, too? I hope you made him pay for the dinner.
You didn't?

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Brive1987 wrote:
I suspect that the Sheffield Uni and Thunderf00t graph thing has made him wary of the Pit and it's worth having one eye open on us. But I'd assume my time is short.
He is lonely and you are probably the closest thing he has to a friend. Most of his allies probably think he is creepy.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

comhcinc wrote:You didn't?
Hell, no! Little fucker stuck me with the motel bill, though.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:You didn't?
Hell, no! Little fucker stuck me with the motel bill, though.

Show me where the bad man touched you.

http://i42.tinypic.com/vyqmx2.jpg

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote:Wow. Sticky Dicky is as dumb as he is horny.
So you're allowed to fuck the students as long as your name is not on a list. Shady as shit.
Did Carrier really just say, while an investigation is being conducted into SSA, when SSA have made statements that he was removed and has no involvement in SSA, that he can go to SSA events and use his use PUA schtick on students and that is 120% fine? Wow, he really is so fucking up his own arse he see's daylight and thinks it is the glow of his own aura of fantastic-ness.
Really? wrote:And here's the start of the Camp Quest drip drip. So Carrier has also provided "advice" in some manner even though he was not involved with Camp Quest in any way.
So, when the current President is on Heina's facebook page saying that Camp Quest West had zero involvement post 2009 (as recently as yesterday) and Carrier is on twitter saying he provided advice in 2014, which is why Camp Quest West listed him as a volunteer/friend in the AGR, which one do we beieve? Because one has documentary evidence to back up his claim, and the other appears to spewing bullshit. And, amazingly that latter isn't Carrier this time. Although I like how his story has now shifted from 'I donated' to providing advice and fundraising, thanks to Brive holding his toes to the fire.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Damion, consider this tweet by Carrier, he doesn't think he's banned:

That's exactly the kind of lawyering that is to be expected from these folks. By the way, there's still crickets everywhere in the blogosphere. We know how it is when Dawkins tweeted something they don't like, how dozens of blogs lit up in outrage. It thus seems to belong to the class of events that go into the memoryhole (a majority). It's only circulated in private, probably not because they like Carrier so much, but because it would harm their clique, and their gravy train.

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:

If you care to aggregate the links, I'll happily raise the issue.

My pleasure. Go ahead and edit this comment as you wish when you post.

Begin comment:

You just said that Richard Carrier was "removed from SSA sponsored events last year." This is demonstrably untrue.

In his post "Regarding the Accusations Made by [Victim's Name removed -ed.]", Carrier said that someone from SSA informed him that a student attendee had made a complaint about him for his conduct. Carrier describes an incident that occurred at a different event in a different state than the one to which SSA was referring.

http://archive.is/AcWxS

Carrier pins down the date to some extent in his post. He offered an apology on 21 April 2015, so by that date, SSA knew that Carrier was in violation of SSA fraternization policy with at least one student attendee. Here is Carrier's April SSA speaking schedule:

April 3, 2015: Arizona State University SSA

April 6, 2015: University of Cincinnati SSA

April 8, 2015: Ohio State University SSA

April 9, 2015: Akron SSA

https://archive.is/vXzyf

April 21, 2015: Carrier responds to recent e-mail regarding sexual harassment complaint from SSA, writes blog post about different incident than the one SSA was talking about. Carrier states he began the process of "resigning" from the Speaker's Bureau.

June 5, 2015: Carrier posts his "How to Do Wrong Right" post: https://archive.is/5gIvP

In this post, Carrier describes the reaction of the event sponsor, which we now know to be SSA:

"Thank you. I did express interest in [redacted] at an after event. And I recognized she did not appreciate that, and I apologized to her at the time. If she does want any further apology, I will definitely provide her one, so do relay that if that’s the case. But I don’t want to bother her by contacting her any further without her consent. I definitely felt bad about it. I thought the interest was mutual and I was very wrong. I won’t be doing that in future.

And that was considered an adequate resolution. Obviously contingent on my making good on my promises, which I have."

July 10-12, 2015: Carrier serves as a volunteer driver for the SSA national convention. According to Carrier:

"It wasn’t until months later that I learned that that person, whom I did wrong, did not file a complaint; but that Amy had. Which left me perplexed. Our interaction did not match what I was being told. I discovered who the actual complainant was when I was later a volunteer driver for an SSA conference she attended (unbeknownst to me) and the SSA asked me to keep my distance from her at her request. That required their telling me who she was. I happily obliged. I didn’t care what her actual reasons were; if someone wants me to avoid them, I will, as far as reasonable, and this was perfectly reasonable to accomplish. But I now knew the complaint against me was not fully honest."

http://archive.is/AcWxS

This is when Carrier was able to figure out which woman was accusing him, as SSA informed him.

November 16, 2015: Carrier speaks at SSA's Ohio State University chapter: https://archive.is/mY3QT

April 23, 2016: Carrier speaks at SSA's UC Riverside chapter: https://archive.is/9AHYB

May 13, 2016: Carrier speaks at Florida Tech's SSA chapter: https://archive.is/SUxuZ

Some important questions SSA needs to answer:

Why was Carrier speaking at SSA events after admitting to sexual harassment of multiple student attendees?

Who allowed him to serve as a volunteer driver for the SSA national convention only a couple months later?

Did SSA inform its regional chapters that Carrier had been implicated in sexual harassment of multiple student attendees? If so, what was their reaction?

If what Carrier claims is true, then SSA speakers who are on the Speakers' Bureau are held to different rules than speakers who are just speaking at SSA events. What is the difference? What is the distinction?

Carrier stated: "I had publicly said years ago that if I wanted to have the freedom to date students (and thus express interest in them), and the SSA insisted on that being against policy, “I’d just withdraw from the SSA Speaker’s Bureau.” Does SSA agree with this interpretation of SSA policy? If a speaker wishes to proposition students, must he or she simply resign from the Speaker's Bureau?

In his "Regarding the Accusations" post, Carrier claims that the accuser (the one who filed the complaint, not the other one) is lying. Does SSA have a comment with regard to this claim from Carrier?

Is it standard operating procedures for SSA to coordinate public "apologies" for those who are being censured for violating SSA rules against propositioning speakers? Carrier indicates that SSA officials helped him ensure that his "How to Do Wrong Right" post was "accurate."

Carrier's "How to Do Wrong Right" post indicates that Carrier was not "removed" from SSA events. Carrier states instead that SSA merely expected him to follow the no-fraternization policy in the future. Who is telling the truth?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Aneris wrote:

That's exactly the kind of lawyering that is to be expected from these folks. By the way, there's still crickets everywhere in the blogosphere. We know how it is when Dawkins tweeted something they don't like, how dozens of blogs lit up in outrage. It thus seems to belong to the class of events that go into the memoryhole (a majority). It's only circulated in private, probably not because they like Carrier so much, but because it would harm their clique, and their gravy train.
They blasted Dawkins for complaining that airport security kabuki theater took his honey. Carrier actually does bad shit, especially according to their standards? Silence.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Congrats on the new jobs, rayshul & com & Brive!
Thanks! 6.50am. Time to get past day one probation.
Was this how you left your previous job? ;-)

In any case, hope the current one is going well. :-)

Really?

Post by Really? »

Damion: if you post my thing, I accidentally left the victim's name in one of the quotes. Feel free to pop it out. It's public everywhere else, and she is liking posts, but it looks like they are pretending it's not.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Really? wrote:
Aneris wrote: <snip>
They blasted Dawkins for complaining that airport security kabuki theater took his honey. Carrier actually does bad shit, especially according to their standards? Silence.
Bigger pool of the perpetually outraged, of those teetering on the edge of their fainting couches; I expect there's at least a 100:1 ratio for followers of Dawkins versus Carrier. But the principle still holds.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Really? wrote:Damion: if you post my thing, I accidentally left the victim's name in one of the quotes. Feel free to pop it out. It's public everywhere else, and she is liking posts, but it looks like they are pretending it's not.
Fuck. I tried to post it thrice, using multiple accounts. It would appear they have either blocked me or locked the thread.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote:
My pleasure. Go ahead and edit this comment as you wish when you post.

Begin comment:

You just said that Richard Carrier was "removed from SSA sponsored events last year." This is demonstrably untrue.

*snip excellent stuff*

Carrier's "How to Do Wrong Right" post indicates that Carrier was not "removed" from SSA events. Carrier states instead that SSA merely expected him to follow the no-fraternization policy in the future. Who is telling the truth?
:clap: :clap: The plain wrongness of this sitution perfectly encapsulated. Thanks Really.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:
What's struck me, that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (not that I've gone looking specifically), is that by far most of the victims were men, presumably cis gay men. Maybe that's just so obvious it isn't being mentioned?
Think back. Men are almost never mentioned as men in the news. Reports may say people, and then women & children. News reports mainly refer to men by their utility such as Miners, Sailors, Crew or as Survivors and then say women and children.

For example: UN says 800 migrants dead in boat disaster as Italy launches rescue of two more vessels
“There were a little over 800 people on board, including children aged between 10 and 12. There were Syrians, about 150 Eritreans, Somalians … They had left Tripoli at about 8am on Saturday.”
While aid agencies have not yet had access to the survivors of the wreck, one survivor airlifted to Sicily for medical treatment said the fishing boat had been carrying about 950 people, including many women and children.
While aid agencies have not yet had access to the survivors of the wreck, one survivor airlifted to Sicily for medical treatment said the fishing boat had been carrying about 950 people, including many women and children.
Once this was pointed out to me, I found it impossible to ignore. So nothing unusual to me at all.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Whoops! Oh well. I canna be arsed to go back and edit ma post to remove the double quote.

CaptainFluffyBunny

d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:Damion: if you post my thing, I accidentally left the victim's name in one of the quotes. Feel free to pop it out. It's public everywhere else, and she is liking posts, but it looks like they are pretending it's not.
Fuck. I tried to post it thrice, using multiple accounts. It would appear they have either blocked me or locked the thread.

That would piss me off. Hopefully you have another point of contact.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>

"skeevy"? As in "unnatural", and "should be anathematized from pulpits across the land"? Seems kind of judgemental and not particularly "sex positive".
Not sure whether I've ever claimed to be sex positive.
I thought it was de rigueur for all right-thinking skeptics ....
d4m10n wrote:I tend to embrace a live-and-let-live attitude when it comes to consenting adults, but if a man my age was trying to hook up with teenage girls at any given freethought event, I'd certainly have some misgivings about his character. We atheists have enough of a reputational problem as it is, without playing right into the religious right's caricature of us as predatory sexual libertines.
As opposed their "purity balls"? But "misgivings" seems rather prejudicial ....
d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:While I'll concede that Carrier might well have crossed the line on various conference policies and should maybe be taken to task for it, one might suggest that that characterization of "skeeviness" is rather "problematic".
A middle-aged man trying to score with coeds is basically the working definition of skeevy, my friend.
Actually, it's "Offensively disgusting or repulsive; sleazy"; exactly what is so characterized is idiosyncratic - in the eye of the beholder and all that.
d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:For one thing, I think it is characterizing all young women, and men, above the age of consent as air-headed bimbos that don't know their own minds, and aren't to be trusted with any "agency" at all.
There is ample scientific evidence telling us not to expect teenagers to reason well about long-term consequences. Share and enjoy.
No doubt many teenagers aren't particularly mature - as the BBC article emphasizes. But you seem to be insisting that none are. As mentioned, seems like tarring all for the sins of the few.
d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote: I'll also agree that more than a few, including here, have apparently let their "creative writing" abilities get the better of their judgement. Creating hypotheticals is all fine and dandy - as long as one keeps in mind that, sans evidence, that's all they are.
At least we can agree about something.
Ever onward and upward. :-)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Remember folks, this is a sleep-over camp.

Now, if you all want to believe that Dicky wasn't cruising for chicks didn't come out as polyamorous until he gave the missus the jack he and his wife opened up their marriage, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in acquiring.
Richard? Lie? To make sure he doesn't look at bad as he is? A half-truth to make sure it didn't sound like he was cheating on her for years? Never.

Let's face it. Richard didn't own up on breaking SSA policy until after he got reported, so he confessed to get out ahead of the game and spin it. I would be willing to bet that he wasn't going to confess to his wife until someone threatened to out him to his wife.

As far as the Nevada camp outs, Richard said his Brother-In-Law attended those. He would have had to be insanely stupid to try and hook up with his brother in law there.

As a side note, the age of consent in Nevada is 16.

CaptainFluffyBunny

It could be that SSA shut the thread down for perfectly innocent reasons, believing that all those unanswered questions on the page were simply rhetorical questions. Yep.

I wonder if there will be a mea culpa, denials or stony silence? Any bets?

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Remember folks, this is a sleep-over camp.

Now, if you all want to believe that Dicky wasn't cruising for chicks didn't come out as polyamorous until he gave the missus the jack he and his wife opened up their marriage, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in acquiring.
Richard? Lie? To make sure he doesn't look at bad as he is? A half-truth to make sure it didn't sound like he was cheating on her for years? Never.

Let's face it. Richard didn't own up on breaking SSA policy until after he got reported, so he confessed to get out ahead of the game and spin it. I would be willing to bet that he wasn't going to confess to his wife until someone threatened to out him to his wife.

As far as the Nevada camp outs, Richard said his Brother-In-Law attended those. He would have had to be insanely stupid to try and hook up with his brother in law there.

As a side note, the age of consent in Nevada is 16.

I thought the "brother-in-law" was a sibling's husband, not that of his wife. They did the bonsai podcast together, right?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:Wow. Sticky Dicky is as dumb as he is horny.
So you're allowed to fuck the students as long as your name is not on a list. Shady as shit.
Saving that:
https://archive.is/VSSsB

I bet both Richard and his poly-girlfriend-wive had the same interpretation. Getting off the list was not an end to business as usual. It meant that it was now officially open season.

Having been on the list for so long, and with no open announcement from the SSA about his removal from the list, being removed was no big deal. All the other SSA organizations knew he was available to speak from him working out deals with all the other college SSA groups. It was all about throwing the complainant a bone.