Slymepit Health Club

Double wank and shit chips
Brive1987

Slymepit Health Club

Post by Brive1987 »

Ok this is the place. If you commit then it's three pieces of serious exercise a week between Monday 12.01 am and Sunday 11.59 pm. ie each at least 30 mins activity. Initial engagement period will be 6 weeks. Yes. All of this is arbitrary. And proof of exercise is needed via app upload. I will tally results every Monday. If you don't do your quota you get shamed and a loser avatar for a week. If you fail to own your shame then off you go.

Brive1987

Re: Slymepit Health Club

Post by Brive1987 »

Week1: Monday 09 to Sunday 15 May

http://i.imgur.com/AouPWGC.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I'm in.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm in too - I'll upload my weeks stats or a screenshot at the end of the week - ie Sunday 15th May.

I suspect that Barn Owl will wipe the floor with the lot of us, when she gets back though.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I just found out I don't have to walk.

;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nice com. I bet he could feel it move,

Second trot, same route, three mins slower as my legs were still sore. :/

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:I'm in too - I'll upload my weeks stats or a screenshot at the end of the week - ie Sunday 15th May.

I suspect that Barn Owl will wipe the floor with the lot of us, when she gets back though.
Cool! More the merrier. :burn:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So this is what I did today. It about killed me. Lots of hills which slow me going both up and down with my ankle. I need to find a better place

http://i.imgur.com/mv0Q3EN.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And we are off!!! Hills suck. Big time. I also notice it takes 3 or 4 walks to lose the pain between ankles and knees.

Well done. :burn:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I don't have any real problem for in pain other than from my busted ankle. It was funny because going up hill was rough because I am out of shape fatty. That really got the blood pumping and the calves burning. Going down the hills actually hurt the ankle more. It really a couple of minutes to my time because I had to be really take my time.

Anyway I looked up that college which is beside the park and I was even on campus for a little bit. I assumed it was a private christian college. I was wrong!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_University
Life University is a private university in the Atlanta suburb of Marietta, Georgia, USA, that offers undergraduate programs. Besides undergraduate and graduate programs in health and wellness-oriented fields, Life University is known for its Doctor of Chiropractic degree program, which is the largest single campus chiropractic college in the world.

The guiding philosophy of Life University is Vitalism, or the understanding and principle that all organic systems in the universe are conscious, self-developing, self-maintaining and self-healing. Life University still to this day centers their philosophy including clinical training around the vertebral subluxation complex. They are taught the key to excellent health is the three ways they teach them to pop the spine.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ha - I noticed that on the pic. My god. Standard issue CAM. Almost a cliche.

I just did my fourth for the week - and this was the first time it didn't feel like I had shards of glass in my calves. So I guess that's something .....

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The following is the output from my fitbit's webpage - no GPS (as I don't wish to self-dox). It shows the daily totals - with the '10' on the x-axis representing 10 miles. Obviously, only a part of this total is the brisk walk - but I hope that it is acceptable.

fitness-week 1.JPG
(17.44 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

That is more than acceptable. Good job.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Cheers Com,

That was a nice thing to say.

I guess not all those rumours about you were true after all. :)

Good luck on the job & fitness front.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well done too! Even if you won't join the run tracker club .... 10 miles is pretty cool - are you doing more 'moderate' bursts?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So I didn't walk today. Recovering from yesterday. I did pull up one of those low impact aerobic exercise videos on Amazon Prime and did a 30 minute work out along with about 25 hindu squats this morning.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

That'd count. I walked up a hill that Becky would describe as a mountain. Despite almost killing me it was only a 2 km round trip so I didn't record it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:That'd count. I walked up a hill that Becky would describe as a mountain. Despite almost killing me it was only a 2 km round trip so I didn't record it.

No that counts too. Any hill climbing is going to burn a lot of calories and really work out your muscles.

You need to add in some hindu squats.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:Well done too! Even if you won't join the run tracker club .... 10 miles is pretty cool - are you doing more 'moderate' bursts?
I think so - although it's hard to measure. When using a treadmill, I get the speed up to 5 miles / hour (a brisk walk for me) and will start to sweat after 20 - 30 minutes. Which must be some indication of beneficial exercise.

Similarly, walking in real-space I try to aim for a fast enough pace that I start to feel it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Well done too! Even if you won't join the run tracker club .... 10 miles is pretty cool - are you doing more 'moderate' bursts?
I think so - although it's hard to measure. When using a treadmill, I get the speed up to 5 miles / hour (a brisk walk for me) and will start to sweat after 20 - 30 minutes. Which must be some indication of beneficial exercise.

Similarly, walking in real-space I try to aim for a fast enough pace that I start to feel it.
You need to get your heart rate up. Use your fitbit.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:
You need to get your heart rate up. Use your fitbit.
Fitbit engaged (I only take it off when in the shower or charging it) . I'm assuming 0 or above is good for heart rate, but I'm not sure what I should be aiming for with exercise.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Target heart rate doesn't help much for me, since I'm some sort of cardiovascular freak. My heart rate won't reach the set point for someone my age and fitness level, but I'm not in any sort of distress or deprived state when being pushed to that level with exercise.

I use a Fitbit to make sure I'm moving as much as I should every day, especially with a sedentary job. Minimum of 10,000 steps, and usually it's more like 12-15K. I also cross-train with swimming and cycling, and although the Fitbit doesn't "work" with those activities, the website is useful for logging them and getting an estimate of calories burned. I have a bias that walking or running on a treadmill is just not the same as using the "Earth gym" - but it's a great solution if you're limited by weather or other environmental constraints. I just really, really hate the gym. Hate the way it smells, feel as if I'm being judged, etc. etc. I'm lucky in that the weather is good for walking or running or cycling pretty much year round here, I belong to a supportive running club, and I have access to an inexpensive national-level swim center less than 2 miles from my house. If you have access to a running club nearby, I strongly recommend joining - many of them encourage all levels, from walkers to elite marathoners, and you'll get lots of support and advice.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'm still struggling with walking vs diet for weight loss. Clearly both are important, but diet seems to be trumps in a face off ......

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:Ok this is the place. If you commit then it's three pieces of serious exercise a week between Monday 12.01 am and Sunday 11.59 pm. ie each at least 30 mins activity. Initial engagement period will be 6 weeks. Yes. All of this is arbitrary. And proof of exercise is needed via app upload. I will tally results every Monday. If you don't do your quota you get shamed and a loser avatar for a week. If you fail to own your shame then off you go.
Pardon my technological impairment, but what app are you using? I have a Fitbit, but it just logs steps every day.

I need someone to smack me every time I buy candy - that's my one terrible food vice. And it's not really food, even. For me it's not chocolate, either - it's licorice, cinnamon, or fruit-flavored candy. Seriously bad habit. Everything else I eat is quite healthy - no fried food, no ice cream, no fast food. But the candy addiction is ... ugh.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Ok - so I'll do a testimonial too.

I've never liked running - as it seems to give trouble to my knees. I enjoy walking - especially in the countryside where I can get the exercise and learn about the history of a place (two for the price of one). There is a local walking group that I sometimes use on the weekends to get out of London (The train system is very good, and sometimes the stately homes of England are only accessible with a bit of walking). Canals and riverside walks are also good, although terratoraly (sp!) rather flat - as they always end up somewhere, and there is not much chance of getting lost.

I've recently bought a standing desk & treadmill (usually set to 5 miles / hour but 6.4 m/hr is the max) - so if feeling lazy there is no excuse not to exercise and I can even be reading the slymepit while doing so.

I also have a fitbit - which recommends
10,000 steps per day
5 miles per day
10 flights (with each flight being 10 feet, I think) per day

I try to double these - because I sync my fitbit with the bounts website - and can earn points

https://www.bounts.it/

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

BarnOwl wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Ok this is the place. If you commit then it's three pieces of serious exercise a week between Monday 12.01 am and Sunday 11.59 pm. ie each at least 30 mins activity. Initial engagement period will be 6 weeks. Yes. All of this is arbitrary. And proof of exercise is needed via app upload. I will tally results every Monday. If you don't do your quota you get shamed and a loser avatar for a week. If you fail to own your shame then off you go.
Pardon my technological impairment, but what app are you using? I have a Fitbit, but it just logs steps every day.

I need someone to smack me every time I buy candy - that's my one terrible food vice. And it's not really food, even. For me it's not chocolate, either - it's licorice, cinnamon, or fruit-flavored candy. Seriously bad habit. Everything else I eat is quite healthy - no fried food, no ice cream, no fast food. But the candy addiction is ... ugh.
Your candy choices actually seem pretty low cal. As far as I know, licorice has no fat at all, just some carbs (sugar). Choc. on the other hand, is loaded with fat.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

BarnOwl wrote:

We are using runkeeper

https://runkeeper.com/

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:I'm still struggling with walking vs diet for weight loss. Clearly both are important, but diet seems to be trumps in a face off ......
I've been researching this a bit, and I am coming round to agreeing strongly with the opinion that 99% of sciencey stuff we thought we knew about weight loss was wrong. and that we only understand a small percentage of what there is to know about the complex interactions within the body with food/hormones/weightloss

Primarily that the 'calories in, calories out' view is bullshit. Some of what I am reading is pushing the line that weight loss is 95% diet, 5% exercise. And of the 95% diet component, it is much less important to focus on the calories, and way more important to understand the body's hormonal reaction to food types and crucially, the timing of food intake.

And while correlation of course does not equal causation, this is an interesting graph to aim a few potshot theories at how the Western world got it so wrong:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 04.svg.png

So what happened in the late 70's, because that's when obesity percentages start to take off. One thing that happened was the recommendation from Governments and Health authorities to avoid saturated fats and adopt a low-fat diet - this was of course broadly wrong and set up the food industry to start pumping everything full of sugar to make up for the lack of fat.

Another element was that the concept of the calorie-controlled diet was heavily pushed, the 'calories in, calories out' seems so logical, so simple and easy to follow. And fundamentally flawed of course.

We also had the push for 'healthy snacking', which was a combined effort by the snacks industry, dieticians, health authorities. Low fat was the mantra, but high-sugar was the result. And combined with the thought that small amounts of food to stave off hunger would keep dieters to their calorie-controlled diet deception. But mostly what it did was keep blood-sugars spiking all day, keep insulin flooding the system, resulting in all sorts of health issues.

Yes, there are plenty more reasons, but I think throwing out everything you think you know about weight-loss, and doing some research is a good place to start if you are serious. My primary diet goal now is to keep my blood-sugar levels as steady and low-range as possible (although I have never been diabetic), I never snack, I never eat breakfast and fasting for 24hrs is now a routine part of my week.

This isn't to say exercise is unimportant, appropriate levels have all sorts of health benefits, but its role in weight loss is significantly over-emphasised. if you think that exercise alone will do the job, I'd put money on your weighing more than you currently do in 5 years.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Yeah from what I have read carbs seem to be the biggest issue when it comes to diets.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

If the time stamp is is to be believed, a major pitkill.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

OH I WANT TO JOIN.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not sure your sort is allowed

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AaV6sU9SEcU/mqdefault.jpg

(yes, this is a joke - I would be failing too, if this was the criteria)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Week1 Results: Monday 09 to Sunday 15 May

Brive:

http://i.imgur.com/qLHqJD5.jpg

Comhcinc:

http://i.imgur.com/mv0Q3EN.jpg
Plus two logged exercises

MarcusAu:

http://i.imgur.com/qYjIkBr.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:OH I WANT TO JOIN.
Please do! Just commit to documenting 3 or more sessions of > 30 mins per week. No slackers but .....

:)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I'm still struggling with walking vs diet for weight loss. Clearly both are important, but diet seems to be trumps in a face off ......
I've been researching this a bit, and I am coming round to agreeing strongly with the opinion that 99% of sciencey stuff we thought we knew about weight loss was wrong. and that we only understand a small percentage of what there is to know about the complex interactions within the body with food/hormones/weightloss

Primarily that the 'calories in, calories out' view is bullshit. Some of what I am reading is pushing the line that weight loss is 95% diet, 5% exercise. And of the 95% diet component, it is much less important to focus on the calories, and way more important to understand the body's hormonal reaction to food types and crucially, the timing of food intake.

And while correlation of course does not equal causation, this is an interesting graph to aim a few potshot theories at how the Western world got it so wrong:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 04.svg.png

So what happened in the late 70's, because that's when obesity percentages start to take off. One thing that happened was the recommendation from Governments and Health authorities to avoid saturated fats and adopt a low-fat diet - this was of course broadly wrong and set up the food industry to start pumping everything full of sugar to make up for the lack of fat.

Another element was that the concept of the calorie-controlled diet was heavily pushed, the 'calories in, calories out' seems so logical, so simple and easy to follow. And fundamentally flawed of course.

We also had the push for 'healthy snacking', which was a combined effort by the snacks industry, dieticians, health authorities. Low fat was the mantra, but high-sugar was the result. And combined with the thought that small amounts of food to stave off hunger would keep dieters to their calorie-controlled diet deception. But mostly what it did was keep blood-sugars spiking all day, keep insulin flooding the system, resulting in all sorts of health issues.

Yes, there are plenty more reasons, but I think throwing out everything you think you know about weight-loss, and doing some research is a good place to start if you are serious. My primary diet goal now is to keep my blood-sugar levels as steady and low-range as possible (although I have never been diabetic), I never snack, I never eat breakfast and fasting for 24hrs is now a routine part of my week.

This isn't to say exercise is unimportant, appropriate levels have all sorts of health benefits, but its role in weight loss is significantly over-emphasised. if you think that exercise alone will do the job, I'd put money on your weighing more than you currently do in 5 years.

Things were a lot simpler in the 1970s food wise. Now the 7-11 is typical of our culture and everything is oversized.

I reckon exercise is fundamental. It rewires your brain to reject all the comfort crap by making you feel good and in control. You will never fight the convenience store come-on if you feel like a lazy blob of a loser.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Com, you found a flat track that requires only 30mins to circumvent?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Com, you found a flat track that requires only 30mins to circumvent?

Not yet. Today was spent doing out of work dad stuff. I had an interview, had to do some shopping and had to set up the home work stuff for the week plus cook supper.

I think I know a place but it's across town and I am looking for a place closer.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I reckon one slower lap of that forest of yours would take 30 mins.

:think:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:I reckon one slower lap of that forest of yours would take 30 mins.

:think:

Oh we can forget me getting up to speed any time soon. My ankle won't allow it. If you notice our calories burned was about the same.

You skinny fuck!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

I hope to be joining you within a week.

I'll also post weight change per week. Not giving the start value, just pounds lost or gained. Any other fat cunt wanna do the same?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I hope to be joining you within a week.

I'll also post weight change per week. Not giving the start value, just pounds lost or gained. Any other fat cunt wanna do the same?

I don't have a scale.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

comhcinc wrote:

I don't have a scale.
No idea why this helps, but here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/Mj8wEm7.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I wish I was that skinny and tall.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

comhcinc wrote:I wish I was that skinny and tall.
High five bro.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

MarcusAu wrote:I'm not sure your sort is allowed

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AaV6sU9SEcU/mqdefault.jpg

(yes, this is a joke - I would be failing too, if this was the criteria)
Rahahahah

I walk 2.3k to work there and back every day, but I guess that doesn't count. HMMM. Would you guys accept yoga? Or push-ups/etc self reported?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive is the final arbiter.

The goal is
- 30 minutes per day of somewhat strenuous exercise - 3 times a week.

The types of exercise so far have included walking & jogging - however if someone wanted to include cycling or swimming or something else - there is no reason in theory why they could not do so.

I'm reporting my fitbit daily distance walked totals - so that includes walking to/from work.

I don't know about self-reporting, however no-one who has asked to be included has been turned away (yet!).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Qualifying distance = 5km

Though there was some dispute about miles vs kilometres.

To tell the truth - I don't really mind what other people do - I'm going to carry on anyway.

Glad to put 'Virtue Signalling' to a good use though!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Who made me boss? ;)

I think it's fine to have a split between certified and logged activities with a preference for the former. As long as there is a clearly expressed log posted before Sunday midnight for the previous week and you commit to demonstrating a regular work out then that's fine. Added points if you get Com off his bum. ;)

The real push is for people who haven't been exercising or who appreciate encouragement, to get satisfaction from demo achievement and risk ridicule by not living up to commitment.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Im happy to give that a go. Past experience suggests the needle gets stuck sometimes.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Next point of contention.

Sunday midnight, you say.

Whose Sunday and whose midnight?

I'm thinking I'm going to start posting my results on Saturday instead.

Anyway - you are the boss because you care enough to keep track.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I am going to do a 30 minute aerobic work out tonight. It rainy and more to the point it's humid as fuck and I am just not in a shape to handle that.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:Next point of contention.

Sunday midnight, you say.

Whose Sunday and whose midnight?

I'm thinking I'm going to start posting my results on Saturday instead.

Anyway - you are the boss because you care enough to keep track.
Com is ground zero here - I was working off Atlanta Mean Time.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If it's as sexy as the scene from Flashdance - video it and post it here tomorrow.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

No it's quite disturbing.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I have a mental picture of a bouncing ferret. That's from the vibrations.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Hitchen's cage is beside the TV. His is the only silent witness to the horrors that have to happen.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Though there was some dispute about miles vs kilometres
A French measurement being the length of one thousand proper baguettes.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

So it turns out I live very near to an abandoned amusement park, and the current (very eccentric) owner is a friend of a friend who is okay with people wandering the ruins if they sign a waiver, and I expect to do so soon and join in.
[youtube]BF8V8xjW8-I[/youtube]