The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:The guy apparently had a history of mental issues, had recently broken up with his girlfriend and had been suicidal in the past.

He was very likely trying to commit suicide by cop. Luckily he survived.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/04/alex-briz ... y-clinton/
2. Brizzi Was Upset About the Results of April 26’s Maryland Presidential Primaries; As Well As Breaking Up With His Girlfriend
Bernie lost Maryland. Trump won Maryland.

feathers

Post by feathers »

InfraRedBucket wrote:If Muscato can be a woman then a glass of water can be an Oak Tree
You just gotta have faith.
An Oak Tree is based on the concept of transubstantiation, the notion central to the Catholic faith in which it is believed that bread and wine are converted into the body and blood of Christ while retaining their appearances of bread and wine. The ability to believe that an object is something other than its physical appearance indicates requires a transformative vision.
No, it requires you to be a complete lunatic or under the influence of hallucinogens.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

[youtube]5F_INMLk_lE[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

The internet loves TrigglyPuff because she is a most iconic Social Justice Warrior; a stereotype incarnate. She has become not a person but a symbol, and at that, one great many people loathe. It's now difficult to see the human behind it. But once again, it's horrible what happens. You have to entertain the possibility that she is not entirely sane, in the serious, not mockery kind of way.

We are natural born naïve realists. Among other things, we assume that other people are about as smart and able as we are. Even more: we think of ourselves as perfectly competent. And because we think other people are like us, we tend to think the same about them. Are humans that nice? I believe this is generally the case, even if unknowingly.

Of course, you see much of the opposite on the internet. But I put it to you that this is almost exclusively mockery and insult, which has the assumption built in that they can take it, and deserve it. If someone were really insane, in the clinical way, or really crazy or really beyond reason, you would immediately go quiet and leave them alone (or I hope you would). If it came out that some social justice warriors were actually nine-year-olds, which is possible, you would probably just shake your head and move on, and angry with yourself that you didn't notice earlier.

That however makes the mere suggestion that someone belongs into the 'special' category indistinguishable from the insult, which is incidentially the same kind of problem with the euphemism treadmill. Terms like moron, stupid, or retarded are borrowed from the 'meant serious' category and applied liberally to nonserious situations where they are found useful to mock detractors -- with the effect that the 'serious' condition needs a new name without the stigmata. But what is when someone is really seriously incompetent and challenged in a genuine way?

I think that way lie some really difficult topics that ultimately, when you go really big, have to do with free will, responsiblity and such matters. We always assume people can help themselves, have agency, are intellectually competent enough and are responsible for what they do. But even without the Big Question, there is a huge area of incompetence, and the sliding scale from temporary stupidity towards mental handicap. So of course in one way, it's easy to heap mockery and insult on such people, but on the other I wonder whether a different mode should be used. But this is just the beginning of really difficult questions, because when a group has easy ways to assume someone as 'special' and then no longer take them seriously, it's also a blunt weapon to infantilize and revoke the important property called "Mündigkeit" (which has to do with being a responsible adult). If you want, it also ties into all those political important questions: how much can anyone rely on the intelligence and rationality of "the people".

Long excursion, short story: TrigglyPuff doesn't strike me as a happy, confident person who knows what she is doing. She apparently not even capable of assessing the consequences of such tantrums in that setting. We have long established that social media witch hunts are a bad thing, even for people who are capable of seeing the consequences. Maybe knowing that you have become a joke makes it worse, but we still don't laugh at the mentally ill even when they don't have the capacity to notice it. Yes, that she is also a stereotype, an icon (like "Big Red") makes it only more complicated.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

fuzzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:These two assholes watched their kid die even after being told that he had meningitis and needed serious medical care and not just hot peppers and horseradish.
The worst part of it is now that that they have been convicted of a crime and shown their dangerous stupidity they are complaining about the verdict and complaining about how the government and big medicine are so oppressive. :evil: :evil:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/a ... -1.3556405
Mother was a Christian Scientist, but thank goodness she was a pragmatic one.
The letter said he deeply loves the jurors...
Oh fuck off you hippy. You can't love someone unless you know them. Or is he telling us that he has a relationship with every member of the jury? That's not due process.
The jury heard that the couple thought the boy had croup or flu and treated him for 2 ½ weeks with remedies that included hot peppers, garlic, onions and horseradish, even though a family friend who was a nurse told them she thought Ezekiel had meningitis.
Jesus I loathe people like this. You killed your child you fucking moron.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

comhcinc wrote:

While I enjoy the looping nature of the gifs I miss how she just puts her hand to her head and stops from the video. It's just such a weird on/off moment.
Do you remember where Data from ST:TNG had his "on/off" switch? I remember Beverly Crusher in one episode presumably doing the old prostate examination on him. Imagine having to do that on Trigglypuff!!!!!!!

:animals-dogrun:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Aneris wrote:
Long excursion, short story: TrigglyPuff doesn't strike me as a happy, confident person who knows what she is doing. She apparently not even capable of assessing the consequences of such tantrums in that setting. We have long established that social media witch hunts are a bad thing, even for people who are capable of seeing the consequences. Maybe knowing that you have become a joke makes it worse, but we still don't laugh at the mentally ill even when they don't have the capacity to notice it. Yes, that she is also a stereotype, an icon (like "Big Red") makes it only more complicated.
No. To me she just looks like another entitled narcissistic SJW who thinks her opinions trump all, especially when screamed at the top of her voice.

Let's not start seeing any and all human assholishness as some sort of mental illness that absolves the fucker. That's what SJWs are for.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Really? wrote: Considering what Becky got, I'd say she made out pretty well, especially because she'll be selling the remnants of the car to some sucker.
She will? Odd. Most insurance companies require that you sign the title over to them to receive your settlement when totaling a car.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

rayshul wrote:
Steersman wrote:
rayshul wrote:Maybe in a year or so she'll look back at this and think okay maybe I'm expecting more charity from humans than is reasonable or possible.
I really don't think that pandering to the delusional qualifies as charity.
By charity I mean pity.
When I first saw the video, I laughed. I laughed because she was an overweight, shrieking caricature. With some reflection, she is likely having an absolutely brutal time of it at the moment, and while I'm not sympathetic to her behaviour, she might be a little bit vulnerable.

I like to think I'm bigger than poking fun at the fat kid, even if I'm not.

Dave

Post by Dave »

feathers wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:If Muscato can be a woman then a glass of water can be an Oak Tree
An Oak Tree is based on the concept of transubstantiation, the notion central to the Catholic faith in which it is believed that bread and wine are converted into the body and blood of Christ while retaining their appearances of bread and wine. The ability to believe that an object is something other than its physical appearance indicates requires a transformative vision.
No, it requires you to be a complete lunatic or under the influence of hallucinogens.
Well, that or having read too much Aristotelian philosophy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote:I just took the hit for the Pit. I listened to Bi Any Means the interview with Danielle Muscato. During the interview he reveals he is unable to take transition hormones for 'health reasons'. Which is what I suspected, with his weight and associated issues as contraindications on the hormone drugs. But his problems are the world's problems, because it's not fair. Loved the way he chuckled through the discussion on rape and bathrooms. Considerate asshole.

His transitioning issues with bathrooms start at 32 minutes in. Yes, I listened to it all. Patreon link will follow for a holiday in Phuket to assuage my catatonic state.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/8475438/b ... ium=widget
OMG -- that show's hosted by the amazing Trav 'Can't We All Just Get Along?' Mamone!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
The belief in transubstantiation is an interesting one. Catholic theology is based on the Artistotelian theory of substances and accidents. For Artistoteles some properties were "accidental" while others are "essential".

An easy example can be made using balls. You can paint a ball red, white, blue or any other color, and it's still a ball. So color is an "accidental" property: its change doesn't "intrinsically" change the "essence" of the ball.

In transubstantiation, as Thomas Aquinas argued, the opposite happens: all the physical properties or "accidents" of bread and wine remain the same, but their "essential" nature change into the body and blood of his god-prophet. At his time, when people didn't know much about the nature of matter, the argument may have look persuasive.

At Thomas Aquinas' times this was a sophisticated defense of a theological assumption. But "natural philosophy", or science, marches on. Today we know what bread and wine are made of, what is the physical "essence" of bread and wine, in chemical and physical terms. We know that you can't change molecules of ethanol or glutein into amino acids and hemoglobin just by saying a few words.

So today if you believe in transubstantiation you have to believe that bread and wine (actually all reality) has some secret, non-detectable property which can be changes through secret, non-detectable acts of "supernatural" intervention. Basically you need to believe in magic.

The idea of an abstract "essence" to things separated from the "ALL physical accidents" is becoming more and more philosophically untenable. Actually the major philosophical schools of today are either anti-essentialists (Quine) or rigidly modal necessitarianists (Kripke, etc.), so they either negate the idea that "essences" exist or the idea that "accidents" exist.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote: Danielle Muscato ... is unable to take transition hormones for 'health reasons'.
Indeed, many aspects of transitioning would cause him considerable physical pain.

[youtube]iSXx_A5bhXA[/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Really? wrote:Considering what Becky got, I'd say she made out pretty well, especially because she'll be selling the remnants of the car to some sucker.
Note that most insurance companies require that you buy a totaled car from them if you want to keep it. The transfer of ownership from you to them when they total it and then back to you when you buy it back is when the title is switched from normal to salvaged. The price of a totaled car is usually very low (since the ins co has no interest in the vehicle), but it's usually very hard to find someone to buy a car with a salvage title ... it's usually someone looking for parts or someone who plans to do something like race it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dave wrote:
Really? wrote: Considering what Becky got, I'd say she made out pretty well, especially because she'll be selling the remnants of the car to some sucker.
She will? Odd. Most insurance companies require that you sign the title over to them to receive your settlement when totaling a car.
But unless it's condemned as unsafe, you can usually get a buy-back option. My wife dinged her 24-year-old Honda Civic, and the insurance company totaled it ($1200 in body repair). It only had around 150,000 miles on it and was running sweet as a nut, so we bought it back.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Scented Nectar wrote: I can't whistle, and 99.99% of the time I prefer men. Since I'm female, does this mean I have to become a trans-man? :shock:
Whistling is easy - just pucker your lips and blow a little. Placement of the tongue is important, too. I could walk you through the steps, if you like.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Really? wrote:Considering what Becky got, I'd say she made out pretty well, especially because she'll be selling the remnants of the car to some sucker.
Note that most insurance companies require that you buy a totaled car from them if you want to keep it. The transfer of ownership from you to them when they total it and then back to you when you buy it back is when the title is switched from normal to salvaged. The price of a totaled car is usually very low (since the ins co has no interest in the vehicle), but it's usually very hard to find someone to buy a car with a salvage title ... it's usually someone looking for parts or someone who plans to do something like race it.
Bah! Niggered.

Billie from Ockham

rayshul wrote:I do feel sorry for Danielle because as I've said before she drew a real fucking short straw.
I was tempted to ask how the heck you know this, but then I realized that the two of you use the same bathroom.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
deLurch wrote:How much do you want to bet this guy had a tumblr account. Shot 3 times after walking into a TV station dressed like that claiming to have a bomb. He refused to acknowledge police commands to stop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... third.html
The guy apparently had a history of mental issues, had recently broken up with his girlfriend and had been suicidal in the past.

He was very likely trying to commit suicide by cop. Luckily he survived.
Ha! In the US, the cops would've plugged him 37 times. Then the media would be in a conundrum: run the story as it's about a 'white domestic terrorist' -- or bury the story, as it shows that cops go apeshit on white folk, too.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Meanwhile, on Facebook:
http://i.imgur.com/3gQ0EZl.png

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote: The belief in transubstantiation is an interesting one. Catholic theology is based on the Artistotelian theory of substances and accidents. For Artistoteles some properties were "accidental" while others are "essential".

An easy example can be made using balls. You can paint a ball red, white, blue or any other color, and it's still a ball. So color is an "accidental" property: its change doesn't "intrinsically" change the "essence" of the ball.

In transubstantiation, as Thomas Aquinas argued, the opposite happens: all the physical properties or "accidents" of bread and wine remain the same, but their "essential" nature change into the body and blood of his god-prophet. At his time, when people didn't know much about the nature of matter, the argument may have look persuasive.

At Thomas Aquinas' times this was a sophisticated defense of a theological assumption. But "natural philosophy", or science, marches on. Today we know what bread and wine are made of, what is the physical "essence" of bread and wine, in chemical and physical terms. We know that you can't change molecules of ethanol or glutein into amino acids and hemoglobin just by saying a few words.

So today if you believe in transubstantiation you have to believe that bread and wine (actually all reality) has some secret, non-detectable property which can be changes through secret, non-detectable acts of "supernatural" intervention. Basically you need to believe in magic.

The idea of an abstract "essence" to things separated from the "ALL physical accidents" is becoming more and more philosophically untenable. Actually the major philosophical schools of today are either anti-essentialists (Quine) or rigidly modal necessitarianists (Kripke, etc.), so they either negate the idea that "essences" exist or the idea that "accidents" exist.
h/t to you -- I used the phrase, "transubstantiation of the penis" in an argument over the trans toilet express.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sulman wrote:Meanwhile, on Facebook:
Yup. America is truly a totalitarian horror, much worse than North Korea. Flipping burgers is worse than hard labor.

Billie from Ockham

Dave wrote:
:nin:

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Steersman wrote: For instance, there's the question of the definition of words which are kind of like the rules of the road - would you indulge someone who wanted to drive on the wrong side of them? Humpty Dumpty:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
As I commented in that "Bi Any Means" podcast (not sure it hasn't been deleted), if we agree that Dave is a woman then the word ceases to have any meaning or utility at all.
Where exactly did you post that? I eagerly look forward to the clash between your amazingly narrow (ovum based) concept of womanhood and the broad (social justice) conception thereof. Please save me a ringside seat.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Dave wrote:
My car was totaled due to a few scratches and dents on the tail after some asshole hit me. I had to sign it over to get paid. I doubt she would be able to keep it unless she refused the settlement (which I assume is possible).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote: For instance, there's the question of the definition of words which are kind of like the rules of the road - would you indulge someone who wanted to drive on the wrong side of them? Humpty Dumpty:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
As I commented in that "Bi Any Means" podcast (not sure it hasn't been deleted), if we agree that Dave is a woman then the word ceases to have any meaning or utility at all.
Where exactly did you post that? I eagerly look forward to the clash between your amazingly narrow (ovum based) concept of womanhood and the broad (social justice) conception thereof. Please save me a ringside seat.
"On one side you have the Steerzbot3000, the Heavyweight Robot Combat champion, who runs on a context-free script of rigid linguistic prescriptivism. On the other you have Danielle Muscato, the Atheist Woman of the Year 2016, armed with a protective shield of mereological nihilism.

FIGHT!

[youtube]BxsNnUAyfd4[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Aneris wrote:
No. To me she just looks like another entitled narcissistic SJW who thinks her opinions trump all, especially when screamed at the top of her voice.

Let's not start seeing any and all human assholishness as some sort of mental illness that absolves the fucker. That's what SJWs are for.
She strikes me as someone who, as a child, always got her way by throwing temper-tantrums. Yet another precious snowflake undergrad who just learned the hard way that The Real World doesn't give a rat's ass about your childish temper tantrums.

I blame her parents, and postmodernism.

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se ... rofile.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:As I commented in that "Bi Any Means" podcast (not sure it hasn't been deleted), if we agree that Dave is a woman then the word ceases to have any meaning or utility at all.
LOL. Between those two irrational extremes, lies a stretch of reality wide enough to drive a Peterbilt through.

But Steers is right in one aspect: if Muscato is a woman, than the term 'woman' can mean anything -- thus, nothing.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:The price of a totaled car is usually very low (since the ins co has no interest in the vehicle), but it's usually very hard to find someone to buy a car with a salvage title ... it's usually someone looking for parts or someone who plans to do something like race it.
Or a gypsy who's going to pimp it and 'forget' the salvaged title thingy when he sells it.

feathers

Post by feathers »

What the hell was that guy doing there, if not spying? A South-Korean with an American pass, why not paint yourself purple and go stand in the middle of Kim Il-sung square singing, I'm a spie in the house of love.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Oi Com, get your critter back already.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Badger3k wrote:
Dave wrote:
My car was totaled due to a few scratches and dents on the tail after some asshole hit me. I had to sign it over to get paid. I doubt she would be able to keep it unless she refused the settlement (which I assume is possible).
She said in her video that there was a 200 dollar difference if she decided to keep the car, so she kept it and now has to get a salvage title and hopes to make a profit selling what is left to someone who wants a project.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: LOL. Between those two irrational extremes, lies a stretch of reality wide enough to drive a Peterbilt through.

But Steers is right in one aspect: if Muscato is a woman, than the term 'woman' can mean anything -- thus, nothing.
What's interesting is that Muscato's argument for womanhood is essentially the same that Catholic use for transubstantiation: all the physical "accidents" are those of a man, but the "essence" is that of a woman (because Dave/Danielle says so).

In general it's hard to argue that trans women are "100% women" if you want to use a definition of "woman" which is based on anything more than self-identification. Some trans women may feel more comfortable as women, they may look like women, or have been surgically altered to appear to be women, or have some female-like brain patterns, and we may treat them socially like women (using female pronouns etc.) but if they were born with male genitalia they'll always be biologically men according to any definition of "men" which makes any sense.

In general the great majority of people are either biologically male or women. Genuine intersex (both genotypically and phenotypically) are a very rare occurrence, not the norm. Some people may have a brain pattern or another reason which leads them to feel comfortable only as members of the opposite gender, but this doesn't automatically alter their physical attributes.

Just like someone who was brown eyes can wear blue colored lenses or maybe in the next future permanently modify their eye color to blue, but they can't see that they were merely "assigned brown eyes at birth" and have born, have been, are and always will be "100% blue-eyed".

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

feathers wrote:Oi Com, get your critter back already.
Too late, the collider won. :(

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

A few weeks ago an 18 year old American kid, who was in North Korea for some kind of ill advised vacation, got caught trying to steal a flier for a political rally as a souvenir. They prosecuted him and sentenced him to 15 years of hard labor. I was stupid and clicked on the "trending" link on the sidebar of facebook, and got treated to footage of a couple dirty huns hauling this sobbing teenager off to the gulag, superimposed over posts from regressive left shitbags criticizing him for being "culturally insensitive".

I wanted to break my monitor.

Yeah, the kid was stupid. Phenomenally fucking stupid. But he didn't deserve to have his life ruined for being a naive twat.

Anyone who is going to apologize for the actions of the North Korean government, or be more outraged by the "insensitivity" of stupid teenager's actions should put their money where their mouth is and move over there. Same goes for the twats who post fb messages comparing a job at McDonalds to the North Korean penal system. You demented fucks want to apologize for ISIS and North Korea? Go fucking join them. You don't deserve your first world problems.

/Rant :x :x :x

Billie from Ockham

feathers wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:The price of a totaled car is usually very low (since the ins co has no interest in the vehicle), but it's usually very hard to find someone to buy a car with a salvage title ... it's usually someone looking for parts or someone who plans to do something like race it.
Or a gypsy who's going to pimp it and 'forget' the salvaged title thingy when he sells it.
Well ...

... I was going to mention that you should always "lose" the title to a car when it's sent to you (after you buy it outright or pay off the loan) and then request a new copy from the DMV, because the car might later be totaled but now you can buy it back and then sell as it not a salvage using the second copy of the non-salvage title ...

... but that would, um, problematic.

Guest_df4fcc85

Post by Guest_df4fcc85 »

The internet loves TrigglyPuff because she is a most iconic Social Justice Warrior; a stereotype incarnate. She has become not a person but a symbol, and at that, one great many people loathe. It's now difficult to see the human behind it. But once again, it's horrible what happens. You have to entertain the possibility that she is not entirely sane, in the serious, not mockery kind of way.
Why? What evidence do you have she is less sane than any other member of that audience, or any member of the university, or any member of society including the pit?

Has any evidence been found in her academic record, her prior behavior as testified by friends, by her tumblr blog that she is mentally ill?

I get that internet shaming is often cruel, and goes to 11 when it should've stopped at 4, but I think Hensley is far more likely to be mentally ill (she has that ptsd diagnosis) than Trigglypuff.

Is Trigglypuff mentally ill, or has she been "empowered" and "radicalized"?

If so, all the negative attention on her, much as we might sympathize with that, might help people focus on how and why she was radicalized to the point where people question her mental health.

But honestly, I see no evidence she is mentally ill.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

comhcinc wrote:For Jet Lagg and the rest of you bastards.

[youtube]H6_zvQQ5P8w[/youtube]
Heh. My eye-rolling during the third act aside, I did enjoy the movie. I've seen that video floating around, but haven't watched it yet. Truth be told, I'm working on my own micro budget movie at the moment and it's been monopolizing my time.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Well ...

... I was going to mention that you should always "lose" the title to a car when it's sent to you (after you buy it outright or pay off the loan) and then request a new copy from the DMV, because the car might later be totaled but now you can buy it back and then sell as it not a salvage using the second copy of the non-salvage title ...
Do you have gypsy blood?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Aneris wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. Calling her mentally ill is pure speculation and a tool that can be used to justify being outraged by her treatment while shrugging when identical things happen to conservatives for even less egregious offenses. Someone, somewhere along the way should have sat her down and given her some tough love lessons about how adults behave in a civilized society. That would have been the ideal, but it didn't happen, and now the internet is going to give her 20 years worth of those lessons all at once.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Aneris wrote:Long excursion, short story: TrigglyPuff doesn't strike me as a happy, confident person who knows what she is doing. She apparently not even capable of assessing the consequences of such tantrums in that setting. We have long established that social media witch hunts are a bad thing, even for people who are capable of seeing the consequences. Maybe knowing that you have become a joke makes it worse, but we still don't laugh at the mentally ill even when they don't have the capacity to notice it. Yes, that she is also a stereotype, an icon (like "Big Red") makes it only more complicated.
So you have come to the determination that she is or probably is mentally incompetent.

And yet she has managed to become a Senior (4th year student) at UMass. Yes, people will tend to judge people on a curved scale based on their capability. But she isn't some 70 IQ point retard shuffling around a long term care facility.

She has fallen in with a cult that tells her lies she would like to believe. Not only that, she has moved on to become to help perpetuate said cult to infect others more pliable minds. (Below highlights are not mine).
https://i.sli.mg/C6QbSI.jpg

She was an activist who wanted to be heard. Congratulate her on her success. She did it.

Perhaps what she really needs is a big fat plate of reality.
http://i.imgur.com/hv9DRn4.jpg

A mirror held up to show people how exactly she is viewed outside her cult.

Even if we wished to stop, I don't think we could.

On the plus side, no one is telling lies about her. All people are doing is showing her exactly as she is and how she acts and exactly what she says.

Or are we to simply assume that all feminists are mentally incompetent?

I think the best take away from this situation is Christina's suggestion. Focus on the programs that helped make her this way (which is is now perpetuating herself).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

[youtube]kqGXM23WUbs[/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

feathers wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Well ...

Do you have gypsy blood?
No, but my uncle Vinny got his name from his remarkable ability to move a VIN plate from one car to another.* Does that count?

* nb. his real name was Boaty McBoatface

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feathers wrote:What the hell was that guy doing there, if not spying? A South-Korean with an American pass, why not paint yourself purple and go stand in the middle of Kim Il-sung square singing, I'm a spie in the house of love.
A sadly high number of them are out there to spread Christianity. Still illegal out there.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Steersman wrote:As I commented in that "Bi Any Means" podcast (not sure it hasn't been deleted), if we agree that Dave is a woman then the word ceases to have any meaning or utility at all.
LOL. Between those two irrational extremes, lies a stretch of reality wide enough to drive a Peterbilt through.

The social justice folks are fairly clear and consistent about what the term should be taken to mean in their circles. A "woman" is any person who identifies as a woman. The term refers entirely to a subjective state of mind.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Really? wrote: She said in her video that there was a 200 dollar difference if she decided to keep the car, so she kept it and now has to get a salvage title and hopes to make a profit selling what is left to someone who wants a project.
Buy-backs are common with motorcycles; especially as the Insurer will often total them for superficial damage. They're ideal for track bikes, or your main bike as long as you accept nobody will want to buy it when you get bored with it.

I'm sure it's similar with cars.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Didn't this happen before?

Malky

Post by Malky »

Badger3k wrote:
Dave wrote:
In the UK you have to sign it over to get paid but you can usually buy it back for scrap value

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:
On that Bi Any Means podcast that HunnyBunny, trooper that she is, bravely listened to in its entirety; better "man" than I, Gunga Din.

But it seems that it has already been deleted therefrom - surprise, surprise, surprise; you might click on the "Comments" and note that it is "gone, gone, gone", and also that the icons at the top show one comment submitted. Seems far too many would rather stick their heads in the sand, or up their arses, than actually engage with any challenges to their dogmata. However, I did capture it beforehand for posterity:
http://i.imgur.com/EMusNBL.png

But, just as a point of reference and to kill several birds with one stone, precisely how would you define "woman"? As another point of reference you might take a look at this paper on identity politics, Must Identity Movements Self-Destruct? A Queer Dilemma, that jimhabegger (sp?) linked to earlier; a salient quote or two:
Gamson wrote:On this level, it resembles similar arguments in ethnic communities in which "boundaries, identities, and cultures, are negotiated, defined, and produced" (Nagel 1994:152). ....

This debate, and other related debates in lesbian and gay politics, is not only over the content of collective identity (whose definition of "gay" counts?), but over the everyday viability and political usefulness of sexual identities (is there and should there be such a thing as "gay," "lesbian," "man," "woman"?). ....

Social movements researchers have only recently begun treating collective identity construction as an important and problematic movement activity and a significant subject of study. Before the late 1980s, when rational-actor models came under increased critical scrutiny, "not much direct thought [had] been given to the general sociological problem of what collective identity is and how it is constituted" (Schlesinger 1987:236). ....
I geddit that "woman" is frequently used as a kind of marker for identity, a shibboleth, a badge of tribal membership, a metaphor - like JFK's "Ich bin ein Berliner". But the good burghers of Berlin would have thought him a nut case if he actually tried to claim the same rights of any of those who actually lived there. Likewise with nutcases like Muscato: if "we" don't draw a line in the sand in the face of their egregious attempts at corrupting the meaning of that word, if we don't read the Riot Act to them by way of insisting on the biological definition, then we might just as well abandon the field to post-modernists and their ilk.

Billie from Ockham

Again, the reason that you have to sign the car (or motorcycle) over is so it can be switched to a salvage title.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Heh. My eye-rolling during the third act aside, I did enjoy the movie. I've seen that video floating around, but haven't watched it yet. Truth be told, I'm working on my own micro budget movie at the moment and it's been monopolizing my time.
I look forward to seeing it and then dismissing the protagonist as a Mary Sue.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: LOL. Between those two irrational extremes, lies a stretch of reality wide enough to drive a Peterbilt through.

What's interesting is that Muscato's argument for womanhood is essentially the same that Catholic use for transubstantiation: all the physical "accidents" are those of a man, but the "essence" is that of a woman (because Dave/Danielle says so).
That was essentially my point with my previous post. Muscato presenting to the world the external phenotype that they do and then decrying "transphobia" at anyone who suggests otherwise, contrary to the apparent evidence , is akin to the religious who proclaim bigotry to anyone who considers they may be under a delusion or to put it politely, not acting on evidence but "faith".

I went to a Catholic school , the point about transubstantiation is this, and it wasn't even made that clear even in my school until
one teacher clarified it . When the priest says certain words at a certain point in the mass, at every mass, a "small miracle" occurs.
It isnt a symbolic change , it's an actual change, the water and wine has somehow become the essence of Christ.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Too few goals, too many takeaways.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
Didn't this happen before?
Not with the same weasel, it didn't.

UNLESS ZOMBIE WEASEL

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:https://i.sli.mg/C6QbSI.jpg

Health is not a moral obligation? The fuck it is!

Dave

Post by Dave »

InfraRedBucket wrote: I went to a Catholic school , the point about transubstantiation is this, and it wasn't even made that clear even in my school until
one teacher clarified it . When the priest says certain words at a certain point in the mass, at every mass, a "small miracle" occurs.
It isnt a symbolic change , it's an actual change, the water and wine has somehow become the essence of Christ.
Or more precisely, the "essence" of the wafer and wine have become the "essence" of the body and blood of Christ, while still retaining all of the "accidents" of wafer and wine. And indeed, that is a miracle, to change the essence of something is miraculous indeed. The Catholic Church is still operating in the Aristotelian world view it was created in. It is all perfectly logical, as long as you adopt a long disproved philosophy.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Jeez! If that's a summary board I wonder what the empirical evidence and peer reviewed studies were to support those conclusions.

Key Takeaways? A great way to end an day of lectures. Mine's a chicken fried rice and fries!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Shatterface wrote:https://i.sli.mg/C6QbSI.jpg

Goals -- Get on a fucking exercise bike.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

This is going to die hard.