The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Keating

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Keating »

Belgium, huh? I wonder if this is a big enough attack to fit my theory. My expectation is that a major Islamist terrorist attack guarantees a Trump presidency. I'm certain there'll be another one between now and November, even if this one doesn't do the trick.

The fact the bombing was at the American Airlines desk is probably going to mean it gets plenty of US news coverage.

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:Fuzzy - Please consider neuticles.
This is no place to discuss testicle physics.

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

Yes, everything that happens on the planet revolves around the US. It is simply unthinkable that muslim terrorists that loathe the decadent west commited another act of raging violence against their enemies, it must be a ploy from the CIA. I'm sure jews are involved on some level as well. Carefully orchestrated false flag that makes the poor, opressed, innocent muslims victims into a target. Aka the typical tropes trotted out among "moderate" muslims and muslim media (news, talkshows, political and religious figures) whenever there is a terrorist attack, and parroted by western useful idiots. Thank god you've found a way to make this all about your stupid fucking politics.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I'm not a US citizen. I do understand the way the US media operates, however.

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

Couldn't possibly be because the Molenbeek hornet's nest was kicked over when the belgian police dared to enter to remove a known terrorist, one that had been protected by the entire neighborhood, whose arrest caused riots as the poor innocent muslims defended their hero. No no, it's literally Trump behind it. Again, great fucking analysis. Spot on.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I didn't say Trump was behind it. I said any Islamist terrorist attack in a Western country (Turkey doesn't count) between now and November guarantees a Trump presidency. Doesn't matter what the reason is.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
Of overriding concern should be how the refugees are feeling. The inevitable Islamophobic backlash will really hit them hard.

Giliell says we will look back on this period and see it as a new holocaust. I'm beginning to think she is right...
Really?

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/LlDFvPZ.jpg[/img]

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/jmviZU8.jpg[/img]

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/RNUfrHs.jpg[/img]
Really Although, in light of events like today, I think she is confused over who the victims are:
Giliell says:
March 9, 2016 at 12:06 PM
*snip hugbox huggy hubrus**

+++
The refugee situation is tearing my heart out. Of course I now have many of those kids in my classes, a large number of the older boys being kids who came here alone. And now those bastards all across Europe are cutting them off. Let’s face it: they might play offended when Beatrix von Storch fantasises about shooting them, but they are obviously ok with them starving, drowning, freezing and dying of diseases.In 50 years they will look back at this time and wonder how that could happen the same way they’re now looking at the Holocaust.
A quick comparison of starving Jews in WWII

http://isurvived.org/Pictures_iSurvived ... ST-men.GIF

and starving Syrian refugees in Germany:

http://www.politicoscope.com/wp-content ... 50x382.jpg

Oh.

feathers

Post by feathers »

jimhabegger wrote:Anyway, are there even any SJW's posting here, that I could try to be friendly with?
There aren't that many here, but I know a few places where you might find them:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/
http://the-orbit.net/

I can especially recommend the blogs of a PZ Myers and Tony Thompson as rich sources of demonised SJWs.
I do see some individuals posting here who might be popular singular targets of cruelty, but I don't know if it's really having any demoralizing effects on them or not. Maybe I don't need to know. It can't do any harm to try to be friendly to them, anyway.
No, Steersman has a mantle of kryptonite/kruppstahl-alloy that is impervious to weapons grade cynicism.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Keating wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
My wife works in mental health and she notes that the incidence of acquired brain injury is huge (in Australia). One of her bugbears is that car crash news items, for example, report on the number of deaths but not on the far higher number that now have ABI and a significantly reduced quality of life.
My mum used to work for a lawyer who said that if you hit someone on the road, you should make sure they're dead for exactly this reason. A corpse won't leave you on the hook for medical treatment for the rest of their lives.
It's a popular pastime in China - reversing over the victim of any road accident to ensure they are indeed deceased. Paying compensation to a family for a dead person is way cheaper than paying for a lifetime disability.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Keating wrote:I didn't say Trump was behind it. I said any Islamist terrorist attack in a Western country (Turkey doesn't count) between now and November guarantees a Trump presidency. Doesn't matter what the reason is.
I'm not so sure that this attacks guarantees a Trump presidency. Nor do I think that any Islamist attack in any Western country counts.

IMHO, in order to have a decisive impact on the American presidential elections and make Trump win, the attacks needs to be of such a magnitude that it shocks the entire world and/or committed in the USA.

By the way, while we discuss the political repercussions of the attack, let's also spend some time with some sober mourning for the innocent victims.

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

Keating wrote:I didn't say Trump was behind it. I said any Islamist terrorist attack in a Western country (Turkey doesn't count) between now and November guarantees a Trump presidency. Doesn't matter what the reason is.
Keating wrote:Belgium, huh? I wonder if this is a big enough attack to fit my theory. My expectation is that a major Islamist terrorist attack guarantees a Trump presidency. I'm certain there'll be another one between now and November, even if this one doesn't do the trick.

The fact the bombing was at the American Airlines desk is probably going to mean it gets plenty of US news coverage.
The implication of your language is clearly that this was somehow expected or even planned in order to gain some sort of political advantage. What is the "trick" that this might not accomplish? Why are you so eager to take away the accomplishments of these fine young muslim men, having fulfilled their highest goals in life, and lay it at the feet of some shadowy cabal of cynical conspirators orchestrating events for the benefit of Trump of all fucking people?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The most disgusting part is that most of those likening the current situation to the Holocaust are raving anti-Semites who would happily wipe Jews from the face of the Earth.

If there's another Holocaust coming the Jews will be the brunt of it and it will be perpetrated by people the Left welcomed into Europe.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:
Keating wrote:Belgium, huh? I wonder if this is a big enough attack to fit my theory. My expectation is that a major Islamist terrorist attack guarantees a Trump presidency. I'm certain there'll be another one between now and November, even if this one doesn't do the trick.

The implication of your language is clearly that this was somehow expected or even planned in order to gain some sort of political advantage. What is the "trick" that this might not accomplish? Why are you so eager to take away the accomplishments of these fine young muslim men, having fulfilled their highest goals in life, and lay it at the feet of some shadowy cabal of cynical conspirators orchestrating events for the benefit of Trump of all fucking people?
Keating didn't say that Trump's behind it, just that the effect of the attack is to increase the popularity of Trump's platform. Keating didn't even make a judgment of value. For all I know his comment was an endorsement of Trump.

When it rains a lot people who sell umbrellas make good profit. If someone says:
Ten days of rain, huh? I wonder if this is a long enough time to fit my theory. My expectation is that a long period of rain guarantees massive profits to umbrella salesmen. I'm certain there'll be a lot of rain next week, even if this bout of rain doesn't make their profits soar.

The fact the rain is concentrated in the New York area is probably going to mean it gets the New York salesmen richer.
Would you say that this person is saying that umbrella salesman caused the ten days of rain?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:

Keating didn't say that Trump's behind it, just that the effect of the attack is to increase the popularity of Trump's platform. Keating didn't even make a judgment of value. For all I know his comment was an endorsement of Trump.

When it rains a lot people who sell umbrellas make good profit. If someone says:
Ten days of rain, huh? I wonder if this is a long enough time to fit my theory. My expectation is that a long period of rain guarantees massive profits to umbrella salesmen. I'm certain there'll be a lot of rain next week, even if this bout of rain doesn't make their profits soar.

The fact the rain is concentrated in the New York area is probably going to mean it gets the New York salesmen richer.
Would you say that this person is saying that umbrella salesman caused the ten days of rain?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Joe gets trumpified

http://i.imgur.com/X6E7sW8.png

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

"a major Islamist terrorist attack guarantees a Trump presidency. I'm certain there'll be another one between now and November, even if this one doesn't do the trick."

Why is he certain there will be another one between now and November? Doesnt this statement blatantly imply there is a direct correlation between the american elections and this event?

Keating

Post by Keating »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:The implication of your language is clearly that this was somehow expected or even planned in order to gain some sort of political advantage. What is the "trick" that this might not accomplish? Why are you so eager to take away the accomplishments of these fine young muslim men, having fulfilled their highest goals in life, and lay it at the feet of some shadowy cabal of cynical conspirators orchestrating events for the benefit of Trump of all fucking people?
It's a figure of expression. I think Islamists can't help themselves, and the rate at which Islamist attacks have occurred has been increasing. I think we're guaranteed a major one before the end of this year. I don't think there is any conspiracy, rather, that Trump has positioned himself to take advantage of a virtually guaranteed gamble.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:

That's not how I read what Keating was saying. I think that he was saying that it reinforces the fears and prejudices of the archetypal Trump supporter, and will cynically be a gift for his team. Those fucking fuckers (the bombers) are part of the cycle of fear and destabilisation that drives people to the demagogues who say they will protect them.

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

So because reality happens to prove Trump right this must mean Trump "positioned" himself to "exploit" it? I don't disagree with your conclusion, I just think it's interesting language.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:By the way, while we discuss the political repercussions of the attack, let's also spend some time with some sober mourning for the innocent victims.
Belgium has been so astronomically stupid when it comes to dealing with Islamists within their country, that the Belgium government must shoulder some of the responsibility. I am glad that this seems to have been a relatively mild attack. That I can say that should scare the bloody pants off us.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:"a major Islamist terrorist attack guarantees a Trump presidency. I'm certain there'll be another one between now and November, even if this one doesn't do the trick."

Why is he certain there will be another one between now and November? Doesnt this statement blatantly imply there is a direct correlation between the american elections and this event?
Because a Trump presidency is manna from heaven for these wankers.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Keating wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:By the way, while we discuss the political repercussions of the attack, let's also spend some time with some sober mourning for the innocent victims.
Belgium has been so astronomically stupid when it comes to dealing with Islamists within their country, that the Belgium government must shoulder some of the responsibility. I am glad that this seems to have been a relatively mild attack. That I can say that should scare the bloody pants off us.
21 dead so far, multiple injured. A "mild" attack...

Keating

Post by Keating »

KiwiInOz wrote:That's not how I read what Keating was saying. I think that he was saying that it reinforces the fears and prejudices of the archetypal Trump supporter, and will cynically be a gift for his team. Those fucking fuckers (the bombers) are part of the cycle of fear and destabilisation that drives people to the demagogues who say they will protect them.
Indeed. I only see this cycle getting worse, especially if we continue business as usual. This is actually what scares me most about a Clinton presidency; she's a promise of business as usual. I'd rather have someone like Trump now, then the massive far-right, genocidal literal Hitler that will arise somewhere in a major Western power if this continues to boil and the problem remains unaddressed. The SJW fuckers who shut down all discussion of the obvious islamism problem are leading us towards civil war in Europe.

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

Lol yes I'm sure the islamists just fucking hate the current day zeitgeist that paints every single muslim as an opressed minority with special rights and an almost manifest destiny obligation to accept vast hordes of their correligionists as "refugees" for "humanitarian" reasons. They just hate it so much! The only way to defeat the islamists is to keep on this current cap, it is the worst thing ever for them. Only way to defeat them is to take on more and more of them and keep legitimizing the insane sense of victimization, inferiority/superiority and hatred so many muslims have for the west. It's been working so well so far.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:Belgium has been so astronomically stupid when it comes to dealing with Islamists within their country, that the Belgium government must shoulder some of the responsibility.
How that? Have they been more "astronomically stupid" than, say, Britain, Germany, France, Denmark, Holland?
If so, what is the 'proper' way to deal with islamists? Small hint: they generally don't take Islamism lessons at Islamist University so they can wave around a Certified Islamist license from their car spraypainted with "ISLAMISTS UNLIMITED" on the flanks.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Shatterface wrote:The most disgusting part is that most of those likening the current situation to the Holocaust are raving anti-Semites who would happily wipe Jews from the face of the Earth.

If there's another Holocaust coming the Jews will be the brunt of it and it will be perpetrated by people the Left welcomed into Europe.
Don't go overboard, you'll sound just like them.

I don't believe Israel has any right to exist, that it is a shit stain on humanity and we would be better off without it. I think if the Jews want a patch of desert and the Americans are so keen on them to have it, the US should give them a chunk of Texas... as they are so good at building walls they could even help keep the Mexicans out.

I will go further and say that Palestinian armed resistance helps to keep the world's attention on the situation, while passive resistance only serves to speed up the rate of Israel's ethnic cleansing of them. Given the weaponry available to them, and the brutality of the IDF, I find it very hard to condemn Palestinian terrorism.

I have seen too far much to have any sympathy for Israel, and yet although my views are extreme, they are still anti-Zionist, not anti-semitic, and a far cry from "wiping all Jews from the face of the Earth".

Guest_27324df6

Post by Guest_27324df6 »

Oh they really, really hate the way demographic replacement is an avowed goal of all these western european countries, the reason immigration is touted as so beneficial. After all, the native population isn't reproducing enough, and all people are the same everywhere, and our values are so self-evidently right and true that any population living among us will obviously accept them over time, because we're insanely arrogant and think we can socially engineer everything. So there's no issue with muslim majority in the future, clearly. Because they will be "european" muslims. Yes, let's keep along this road, this is clearly the answer. The islamists aren't empowered by these things at all, oh yes, this isn't what they want at all.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

21 dead... when they first started reporting I heard it was 10.

Awful thinking of all these people probably going on holidays minding their own business looking forward to see their rellies.

I always feel so fucking useless when this happens. Fuck terrorists.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I'm planning to start a thread in the The Bottomless Pit of Endless Wonder, in a day or two, to discuss the kinds of community building I'm promoting, and maybe the kinds of discussions I'd like to have about social issues and the outrageous things that are happening in the world. The first post will be mostly a copy and paste of my post 12905.

If any administrator or moderator has any objections to that, I would be grateful if you would tell me before I start the thread.

I'm taking suggestions for the title of the thread. Here are some possibilities I'm considering:
- God-centered community building
- Jim's closet
- Support group for self-improvement and community service

Personally, I prefer "Jim's closet."

Stout

Post by Stout »

giliell....I'm seeing that name a lot around here lately. It looks like she's the only active commenter who followed over to The Orbit. Is The Orbit's orbit already beginning to decay or is it too soon to make such an assessment?

I mean, I'm seeing Heina Dadabhoy complaining that her iPhone doesn't come with a default app that tells her to change her tampon and she might die because of it and complaining that it does come with one that will make people with eating disorders calorie count themselves to death. Then she goes on to...well, I don't know what she's going on about, something about labour saving devices but there's so many links in that blog entry that I never made it to the end.

Did I just read an excerpt from a novel that Dana Hunter put up as a blog post ?

That Tony guy appears to be posting news stories

Dunno if angry black womyn is going to bite on the comment about the event at "the show" ( on the girlfight thread ) the bit about wearing the Klan hood is just a little too over the top.

OK...full disclosure....I'm a Daily Mail fan. I spent about 1 minute on the CNN link about the Brussels bombing before shutting it down and heading over to the DM to get the more complete coverage I was expecting.

I went out stealing street signs one night circa 1980 and after I had your basic crapload of them I asked myself just what I was going to do with them. Sure the garage in the Partridge Family look kinda cool but since I was still living at my parent's house I figured that sort of decor would raise too many uncomfortable questions so I just abandoned the things in the bushes after wiping them all down for prints. Kept the nuts and bolts though. Take that establishment !

/random crap

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

jimhabegger wrote:I'm planning to start a thread in the The Bottomless Pit of Endless Wonder ... The first post will be mostly a copy and paste of my post 12905.
- minus the typo.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Steersman wrote:Just a thought, but maybe, perchance, like most Muslim societies and cultures? As for what it would look like, might I suggest Pakistan where they refuse to condemn child marriage because it conflicts with the Quran and the sayings of the Prophet [piss on his name and all of his ilk], and where they condone and promote killing apostates and gays? You support that?
Since some muslims think drinking piss is holy (Mohammed drank some or something), might I suggest "dog piss be upon him" or maybe "pig piss be upon him"? Just to make sure they don't take it as praise or something. :D
:) Say, maybe I need to update my canned Twitter responses: "#BanIslam", "Dog's piss on Muhammad!", "#SaudiBarbaria", "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" (just for the Muricans in the crowd). ;-)

But ran across an amusing Tweet the other day, something along the line of, "Guaranteed proof against becoming an Islamic terrorist: eat two strips of bacon a day!". :-) But along the same line, an interesting and amusing post from Anjuli: My rehabilitation of pigs.
That article was beautiful to read. My eyes even went slightly leaky. I love it when people break religious taboos.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Shatterface wrote:The most disgusting part is that most of those likening the current situation to the Holocaust are raving anti-Semites who would happily wipe Jews from the face of the Earth.

Then you can go fuck yourself.
I don't believe Israel has any right to exist, that it is a shit stain on humanity and we would be better off without it. I think if the Jews want a patch of desert and the Americans are so keen on them to have it, the US should give them a chunk of Texas... as they are so good at building walls they could even help keep the Mexicans out.

I will go further and say that Palestinian armed resistance helps to keep the world's attention on the situation, while passive resistance only serves to speed up the rate of Israel's ethnic cleansing of them. Given the weaponry available to them, and the brutality of the IDF, I find it very hard to condemn Palestinian terrorism.

I have seen too far much to have any sympathy for Israel, and yet although my views are extreme, they are still anti-Zionist, not anti-semitic, and a far cry from "wiping all Jews from the face of the Earth".
You want to abolish an entire country? Fuck you.

Israel exists. Fucking deal with it.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Keating wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
My wife works in mental health and she notes that the incidence of acquired brain injury is huge (in Australia). One of her bugbears is that car crash news items, for example, report on the number of deaths but not on the far higher number that now have ABI and a significantly reduced quality of life.
My mum used to work for a lawyer who said that if you hit someone on the road, you should make sure they're dead for exactly this reason. A corpse won't leave you on the hook for medical treatment for the rest of their lives.
It's a popular pastime in China - reversing over the victim of any road accident to ensure they are indeed deceased. Paying compensation to a family for a dead person is way cheaper than paying for a lifetime disability.

Ah, the lovely exotic Asian disregard for human life. They're so friendly and peaceful, must be the Buddhism. :whistle:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's times like this that I wish all we had to talk about is Fuzzy's Cat's Balls.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

rayshul wrote:21 dead... when they first started reporting I heard it was 10.

Awful thinking of all these people probably going on holidays minding their own business looking forward to see their rellies.

I always feel so fucking useless when this happens. Fuck terrorists.
This. And Phil's post indicates 26. :(

As a not-entirely-joking aside, I've noticed that superstitious Muslims in my neighborhood are shit-scared of black dogs, even tiny ones. I think black dogs of all sizes could be used to make wanna-be ISIS fundies crap their baggy pants in terror, before they commit acts of terrorism.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

If I am not mistaken, didn't Brussels just raid and kill a terrorist involved in the Paris bombings? This appears to be retribution.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Stout wrote:I mean, I'm seeing Heina Dadabhoy complaining that her iPhone doesn't come with a default app that tells her to change her tampon and she might die because of it and complaining that it does come with one that will make people with eating disorders calorie count themselves to death. Then she goes on to...well, I don't know what she's going on about, something about labour saving devices but there's so many links in that blog entry that I never made it to the end.
Of course, neither The Whorebit nor TreeFrogBlogs have any official postings on Brussels yet.
I went out stealing street signs one night circa 1980 and after I had your basic crapload of them I asked myself just what I was going to do with them. Sure the garage in the Partridge Family look kinda cool but since I was still living at my parent's house I figured that sort of decor would raise too many uncomfortable questions so I just abandoned the things in the bushes after wiping them all down for prints. Kept the nuts and bolts though. Take that establishment !
You should've swapped them. That would have taught them Russians a lesson!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:

I'm glad you admit that your views are extreme.

I'm of the opinion that the idea of a "Jewish state" works about as well as the idea of a "Christian state" or a "Muslim state" (that is to say, it's shit all way around). I also think that ultra-Orthodox jews aren't much better than Christian fundies or the majority of devout Muslims, and to let them build their "separate communities" by stealing other people's property is both a crime and pretty insane.

However I also think that the idea that the Palestinian are being subjected to "ethnic cleansing" is insane. Israel is bad, but it's not "Nazi Germany" bad by any means. There are no extermination camps of Palestinians. There is no project to systematically murder Palestinians.

The situation in Israel is more similar to that of South Africa under apartheid: a privileged ethnic class originally coming from abroad forcibly separated from an unprivileged ethnic class deprived of its property and subjected to brutality and oppression.

Palestinian terrorism is a nuanced, complex issue. Some of it is a reaction to the IDF's repression, and the poor conditions of Palestinians surely play a huge role in its development. Some of it is part of Palestinian infighting (Fatah vs. Hamas). Some of it is due to the political interference of some local powers who routinely use the Palestinians as pawns in their political games (Iran and Hezbollah, for example). And some of it, like it or not, is motivated by Islamist supremacy, especially after the fall of Soviet Russia and the communist regimes who used to support Palestinian groups (just like the West supported and supports Israel).

Siding with violent extremism and/or the project of an ethnic/religious state is never a good roadmap to peace. So I'm not on either "side" of the conflicts. Palestinians deserve their human right, but Israel exists, has existed for almost 70 years, many Jewish people have born and lived their entire life in Israel and they're not going away anytime soon. Also Israel, Jewish question aside, is a liberal democracy within a regime of apartheid and violation of rights, not a totalitarian state bent on ethnic cleansing Palestinians.

Arguably the situation is even more complex than in South Africa, since the 20% of citizens of Israel are Israeli Arabs who even have a political representation in the Israeli parliament (albeit disproportionate). There was even an Arab Muslim Israeli minister a few years ago.

The situation has gotten worse under Olmert and Netanyahu, especially since both have been supported by parties like the Jewish Home (right wing, religious) and [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Israel]My Israel[/url] (right wing, nationalistic) and Yisrael Beiteinu (right wing, nationalistic, ethnicist).

It's better to try and find a peaceful solution with a compromise that defends the rights of both sides than to rant and rave about how a state needs to be wiped away from the map. Especially since erasing that state from the map would mean (at best) a "population transfer" of Steersman-like proportions.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:

I'm of the opinion that the idea of a "Jewish state" works about as well as the idea of a "Christian state" or a "Muslim state" (that is to say, it's shit all way around). I also think that ultra-Orthodox jews aren't much better than Christian fundies or the majority of devout Muslims, and to let them build their "separate communities" by stealing other people's property is both a crime and pretty insane.

However I also think that the idea that the Palestinian are being subjected to "ethnic cleansing" is insane. Israel is bad, but it's not "Nazi Germany" bad by any means. There are no extermination camps of Palestinians. There is no project to systematically murder Palestinians.

The situation in Israel is more similar to that of South Africa under apartheid: a privileged ethnic class originally coming from abroad forcibly separated from an unprivileged ethnic class deprived of its property and subjected to brutality and oppression.

Palestinian terrorism is a nuanced, complex issue. Some of it is a reaction to the IDF's repression, and the poor conditions of Palestinians surely play a huge role in its development. Some of it is part of Palestinian infighting (Fatah vs. Hamas). Some of it is due to the political interference of some local powers who routinely use the Palestinians as pawns in their political games (Iran and Hezbollah, for example). And some of it, like it or not, is motivated by Islamist supremacy, especially after the fall of Soviet Russia and the communist regimes who used to support Palestinian groups (just like the West supported and supports Israel).

Siding with violent extremism and/or the project of an ethnic/religious state is never a good roadmap to peace. So I'm not on either "side" of the conflicts. Palestinians deserve their human right, but Israel exists, has existed for almost 70 years, many Jewish people have born and lived their entire life in Israel and they're not going away anytime soon. Also Israel, Jewish question aside, is a liberal democracy within a regime of apartheid and violation of rights, not a totalitarian state bent on ethnic cleansing Palestinians.

Arguably the situation is even more complex than in South Africa, since the 20% of citizens of Israel are Israeli Arabs who even have a political representation in the Israeli parliament (albeit disproportionate). There was even an Arab Muslim Israeli minister a few years ago.

The situation has gotten worse under Olmert and Netanyahu, especially since both have been supported by parties like the Jewish Home (right wing, religious) and [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Israel]My Israel[/url] (right wing, nationalistic) and Yisrael Beiteinu (right wing, nationalistic, ethnicist).

It's better to try and find a peaceful solution with a compromise that defends the rights of both sides than to rant and rave about how a state needs to be wiped away from the map. Especially since erasing that state from the map would mean (at best) a "population transfer" of Steersman-like proportions.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

deLurch wrote:If I am not mistaken, didn't Brussels just raid and kill a terrorist involved in the Paris bombings? This appears to be retribution.
Caught him alive. https://www.yahoo.com/news/witness-fune ... 21489.html

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

jimhabegger wrote:I'm planning to start a thread in the The Bottomless Pit of Endless Wonder, in a day or two, to discuss the kinds of community building I'm promoting
So what are your cult's views on divorce, homosexuality and sex before marriage?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there guest, I read Keating as meaning that a major terrorist attack would help Trump's political angling, probably by driving up the fear a la Dubya Bush.

For the record, I just heard on BBC news that there were closer desks than the American Airlines one, and all there employee are unharmed. Make of that what you will.

welch

Post by welch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
welch wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I went to a town filled with lumberjacks and millers. Rough place, really. What used to be called fun and hijinks are now called felonies. There were rules, and if you broke them, bad things would happen to you. If somebody went down, you stopped, period, or your own friends would let you know you transgressed in a very painful manner.
Oh and on this shit...a town that is pretty clearly country, which means y'all played by rules that don't exist in larger cities. And you were just lecturing me about my experience not being the norm. I guess that only applies to people who aren't you.
No, just means doctors an neurologists agree with me, and Commie agrees with you. I like them odds.
Again, how common is the one hit death? Because you keep talking about it like every time there's any impact to the skull, you run some large chance of it just cracking like an egg, and yet, no one can come up with the actual PERCENTAGES O'DOOOM

And if you're trying to make it sound like I am completely dismissing the chances, *AGAIN* i'm not. I'm just saying that you're overstating the fuck out of them.

welch

Post by welch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Not gonna do the Google work on my phone. Look it up before you guys go all Steersman on me. I was a boxer and a martial artist, and head trauma is no fun. Look at the facts, not at what you already know. I really regret some of the shit I did when I was younger. Just because you don't see the damage doesn't mean it's not there and very real. When you pop somebody in the head, you endanger their life, however small the odds. No insult in the world is worth that.
And when you walk outside you might fall and crack your poor delicate skull wide open. You should wear a helmet.

Keating

Post by Keating »

feathers wrote:
Keating wrote:Belgium has been so astronomically stupid when it comes to dealing with Islamists within their country, that the Belgium government must shoulder some of the responsibility.
How that? Have they been more "astronomically stupid" than, say, Britain, Germany, France, Denmark, Holland?
If so, what is the 'proper' way to deal with islamists? Small hint: they generally don't take Islamism lessons at Islamist University so they can wave around a Certified Islamist license from their car spraypainted with "ISLAMISTS UNLIMITED" on the flanks.
I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but it's obvious business as usual isn't working. The first step is to admit there is a problem, virtually no one is prepared to even do that. The next step would be to stop importing them. This is something I think Australia definitely gets right. When we accept MENA refugees, we priorities religious minorities and female led households. Those groups are far less likely to cause integration problems. We also try to address the pull factors that make Australia attractive as a destination. Another step would be to not let the problem, once you have it, to fester in your cities. That the Paris attacks were coordinated from Brussels reflects badly on Belgium. That also means demanding the same standards from migrants as you do the native population, not avoiding policing because law enforcement are terrified to enter certain areas.

welch

Post by welch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:welch wrote:

PIledriver into concrete? That kid missed paralyzation by luck. And honestly, again, he begged for it. Start shit up with someone that much bigger than you, assuming they're too much of a pussy to do anything about it. Oops, guessed wrong.
There are some big differences there. One is resorting to self defence, the other is beating on a non resisting individual.
Are you serious? (or NikiM)
btw, I would have counseled the kid to do differently than the pile driver thing and so should have the people that encouraged him as some type of hero.
LOL. So now it's okay to take an action that actually has a very high risk of long-term or permanent damage.

Let me guess, punching up punches are made of unicorn farts and fairy hugs. It's only those awful punching down punches that suck. That kid was twice the size of the other kid, whatever happened to not beating the shit out of someone who is half your size?

If you're going to be all on the fainting couch over head blows, have some fucking consistency.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jimhabegger wrote:See? Rayshul invited me to talk about it here.
What are you, a fucking vampire?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

[snip]
Let me stop you right there. I said "ethnic cleansing", I did not mention genocide which is what "extermination camps" would imply.

The Israelis have systematically cleansed Palestinians from areas of land in order to annex them. Their methods are well documented and not in dispute. Israel is the only country in the world with no declared borders, because it's borders are expanding every day, (which is why it is so difficult to 'recognize' Israel, to do so would be take as an acknowledgement of their claims on land they haven't yet stolen).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:I'm planning to start a thread in the The Bottomless Pit of Endless Wonder, in a day or two, to discuss the kinds of community building I'm promoting
So what are your cult's views on divorce, homosexuality and sex before marriage?
Compared to the traditional christian stance - where all three are compulsory.

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:
welch wrote:Much less risk of it than this one:

[youtube]isfn4OxCPQs[/youtube]

PIledriver into concrete? That kid missed paralyzation by luck. And honestly, again, he begged for it. Start shit up with someone that much bigger than you, assuming they're too much of a pussy to do anything about it. Oops, guessed wrong.
In that video, I'm a lot more sympathetic to the bigger kid beating up the other kid. Because the other kid started beating on him. Still, he only lost it for a second, and he didn't have a posse backing him up. He was the one bullied.

In the video where the girl beats up the other girl, it's a completely different situation, and it's someone getting up someone else's face for saying a word they didn't like, whilst also being much taller and much bigger. Boo fucking hoo. And then of course you have people on Twitter cheering her on and Orbiters like Niki M who wants to shake her hand, because using words is difficult and this is commendable. Is that what reality is now?

Did you grow up in, and still live in some kind of fucking box? Where you can talk shit to people and say things to them specifically designed to get them mad enough to take a swing at you and nothing ever happens? Where humans don't get mad or don't have whatever issues you may not know about, and everyone is basically a peach-colored smurf?

It doesn't matter what kind of world you *want*. You have to live in THIS one, and in THIS one, learning to keep your fucking mouth shut in certain situations is a pretty goddamned useful survival skill. Literally.

welch

Post by welch »

comhcinc wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
In that video, I'm a lot more sympathetic to the bigger kid beating up the other kid. Because the other kid started beating on him. Still, he only lost it for a second, and he didn't have a posse backing him up. He was the one bullied.

In the video where the girl beats up the other girl, it's a completely different situation, and it's someone getting up someone else's face for saying a word they didn't like, whilst also being much taller and much bigger. Boo fucking hoo. And then of course you have people on Twitter cheering her on and Orbiters like Niki M who wants to shake her hand, because using words is difficult and this is commendable. Is that what reality is now?
Why does the size of the girls matter? We know they are teenagers and about the same age. It's not like a 10 year old beating up a 5 year old. I am just failing to see that should matter. Like if the girls were the same size or even if the size were reversed and everything else the same would it make a difference?
Oh, they've already shown the answer to that is yes. Head injuries are only bad if you don't like the puncher's actions.

welch

Post by welch »

comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Not gonna do the Google work on my phone. Look it up before you guys go all Steersman on me. I was a boxer and a martial artist, and head trauma is no fun. Look at the facts, not at what you already know. I really regret some of the shit I did when I was younger. Just because you don't see the damage doesn't mean it's not there and very real. When you pop somebody in the head, you endanger their life, however small the odds. No insult in the world is worth that.
I promise you I have actually tried to find hard numbers on this. I can't any past what I have already posted. I am just seeing the number there that in the larger scheme of things that this should be something I should be concern about.
How exactly would you get quantifiable numbers on this, anyway? Suffice to say, I've seen it happen. Not dead, but the dude had a lifetime of seizures and is no longer amongst the quick. Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:
So it's awful and it's happening all the fucking time, and every impact with your skull may be your last functional moment on earth OH GOD RUN, THE BUTTERFLIES ARE HERE!!!!

but it's happening in such a way you can't possibly get numbers on it, nor have you really tried. because you just "know" based on...

lived experience.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Meanwhile here in jersey

http://nj1015.com/easter-bunny-dad-char ... all-video/

Easter Bunny be throwing hands.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

VickyCaramel wrote:
The views on those topics vary as widely among Baha'is as they do in the rest of society, and I wouldn't know which views to call the "Baha'i" view. Actually, I would say that there isn't any such thing as a "Baha'i" view, or else there are many of them.

Or are you asking for my personal understanding of what Baha'i scriptures say about those topics?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:I have a lot of interest in some of the social issues I see people discussing here, but the kinds of discussion that would interest me the most, and possibly keep me coming back, would be to encourage and support each other in our efforts to help reduce and counteract their harmful effects, and to help build a better world, for the benefit of all people, grounded in systematic and sustained efforts to improve our own character and conduct, and in service to our communities.

[blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...]
Yeah, we get it. You have the one true solution that will guide us towards all the improvements that YOU feel we should strive towards.

Holy fuck, buddy, are you ever in the wrong place! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First off, we're like 99%, if not 100%, atheists here. We think your imaginary friend is imaginary, even if you do put a po-mo metaphorical spin on it. Secondly, your attitude is really condescending. You have come here to show us all your righteous path in life, and that means you think we are all on the wrong path. Sure, you think you are being kind to share your oh-so true path with us, and to save us, but think about that. You are saying that we are on the wrong path. It doesn't matter that you avoid bad words when insulting people in that manner, it's still fucked up and koran-thumpy.

I mean, what the fuck? Are you really hoping to recruit here? If, however, you really want to discuss it, and you're not just here to recruit us, then how about discussing the actual, specific beliefs of your version of islam? I have a few questions:

Does your offshoot branch of islam have the same aversion to pigs and dogs that other muslims have?

Does your offshoot branch of islam believe that some religious crimes should be punished by death (eg: blasphemy, gay sex, unmarried sex if female)?

Does your offshoot branch of islam still mutilate baby's penises like the other branches of islam? Does your type of islam ever practice FGM?

Does your offshoot branch of islam require the veiling of females?

Does your offshoot branch of islam practice arranged marriages?

Does your offshoot branch of islam believe that religious laws should be the law of the land?

Does your offshoot branch of islam believe that your god split the moon and then put it back together again?

Does your offshoot branch of islam have a holy book, like the koran or some version of it?

Does your offshoot branch of islam promote the killing of unbelievers?

Does your offshoot branch of islam require any specific type of praying or other rituals whereby you reassure your god that he's a really great guy and that you really, really, love him cuz he's so great and stuff?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_27324df6 wrote:Oh they really, really hate the way demographic replacement is an avowed goal of all these western european countries, the reason immigration is touted as so beneficial.
Immigration isn't necessarily beneficial, but it's not necessarily a curse, either. Economically speaking regulated immigration brings benefits. Unregulated immigration, especially if it's coupled with unrestrained welfare (instead of being tied to jobs and to a path of in and religious privileges (Sharia courts, religiously inspired schools and "community centers", segregated party meetings, etc.) leads to countless problems, that's for sure.
After all, the native population isn't reproducing enough, and all people are the same everywhere, and our values are so self-evidently right and true that any population living among us will obviously accept them over time, because we're insanely arrogant and think we can socially engineer everything.
Many Muslims seem to integrate. The path they follow is one of gradual secularization, which includes the many perks of freedom from arbitrary religious rules and pursuit of other interests, not just of enforcement of religiously inspired traditional social rules (what the "conservatives" and often even the "sophisticated mystics" call "corruption" and the "gospel of materialism", etc.).
So there's no issue with muslim majority in the future, clearly. Because they will be "european" muslims. Yes, let's keep along this road, this is clearly the answer. The islamists aren't empowered by these things at all, oh yes, this isn't what they want at all.
There will be no "Muslim majority" for a long, long time. What I find it more likely is that, if the policies of non-integration but "multiculturalism" (i.e. let's give Muslim their own private "safe spaces" ) go on, there will be a huge backlash that will bring right-wing parties in power and will lead to systemic oppression of Muslims, to resentment, to more terrorism, to more suffering and chaos, and probably even to pogroms of Muslim in the long run.

Muslims have all the interest to integrate and to renounce to Islamist supremacy. Islamists are using the people they claim to represent as pawns in a political/social game. Islamists wish for repression of Muslims, for authoritarian laws which target all Muslims instead of targeting them. They want to be seen as the "true representatives" in face of "Western xenophobia".

We have to be smarter than them and beat them at their own game, by showing that they don't represent squat, that their beliefs are insane and that European institutions (secular liberal democracies) are here to stay, while Islamist supremacy will fail.

The Islamists are empowered mainly by two things: the flow of money from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States and the Islamist-friendly policies of the SJWs/Regressive Left/Muslim accommodationists.

Stop the flow of petrodollars and end the Islamist-friendly policies, and regulate immigration by tying it to a path of integration (through keeping jobs, learning the language of the land to an acceptable degree, respecting the secular rules of the land), and many issues will be more manageable. Act like Steersman and the authoritarian preach and you'll create even bigger messes of resentment, suffering and chaos, which will be exploited by Islamists and will lead to even more terrorism, pain, suffering and chaos.

welch

Post by welch »

comhcinc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: How exactly would you get quantifiable numbers on this, anyway? Suffice to say, I've seen it happen. Not dead, but the dude had a lifetime of seizures and is no longer amongst the quick. Or volunteer to let my sweet little fifteen year-old one good shot at yer noggin. :whistle:
So as to numbers what are we talking about? I am talking about the "one punch kills" that you originally brought up. If it was a large as a issue as you feel I am sure there would be most stats about it. In futuretown where some of your links are from I found numbers to say 90 between 2000 and 2013. So how many fights happened at that time? 1000? 2000? 250,000? I don't know but that is the number that we need to have to see if it's a big issue or not.
How do you also quantify non-lethal but lasting brain damage? Latest science seems to say bangin' the noggin ain't good for the brain. Docs can weigh in, but if you wanna bet what a neurologist would say?
You do know that the various emergency management groups in the US keep records right? It's how we know things, like how many people are injured by various things every year. It's a fascinating concept, and most of them are publicly available.

Why just by searching for "number of head injuries in the US 2014" I was able to find all kinds of links to data relevant to that:

https://www.aans.org/Patient%20Informat ... njury.aspx

And that link had a FASCINATING statistic, right in the middle of the text:
According to the Journal of Combative Sport, from January of 1960 to August of 2011, there were 488 boxing-related deaths. The journal attributes 66 percent of these deaths to head, brain or neck injuries; one was attributed to a skull fracture.
in contrast to that "one punch kill" above, the real danger comes from, unsurprisingly, years of boxing:
There are boxers with minimal involvement and those that are so severely affected that they require institutional care. There are some boxers with varying degrees of speech difficulty, stiffness, unsteadiness, memory loss and inappropriate behavior. In several studies, 15-40 percent of ex-boxers have been found to have symptoms of chronic brain injury. Most of these boxers have mild symptoms. Recent studies have shown that most professional boxers (even those without symptoms) have some degree of brain damage.
so in a 51-year period, there were less than 500 boxing related deaths in terms of "in the ring" injuries. By contrast:
Every year, more than 500,000 people visit emergency rooms in the United States with bicycle-related injuries. Of those, nearly 85,000 were head injuries in 2009. There are about 600 deaths a year, with two-thirds being attributed to TBI.
That link also has a lot of data on football, and again, most of the real risk involves playing football year after year for multiple decades.

this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sport ... .html?_r=0

talks at length about how dangerous skiing is, even with a helmet. Wow. i guess you can get numbers if you actually put forth some fucking effort. You should try that once.

So in terms of "surprise! you're dead! or a vegetable!" you should be working much harder to ban bicycling and skiing. Wait, are you actually trying to ban things like boxing and martial arts schools, since you knowwwwww how dannnnngerous they are, or are you just sitting there doing exactly zilch about this HUGE GREAT DANGER.

I'll bet i know the answer to that one.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Keating wrote:
I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but it's obvious business as usual isn't working. The first step is to admit there is a problem, virtually no one is prepared to even do that. The next step would be to stop importing them. This is something I think Australia definitely gets right. When we accept MENA refugees, we priorities religious minorities and female led households. Those groups are far less likely to cause integration problems. We also try to address the pull factors that make Australia attractive as a destination. Another step would be to not let the problem, once you have it, to fester in your cities. That the Paris attacks were coordinated from Brussels reflects badly on Belgium. That also means demanding the same standards from migrants as you do the native population, not avoiding policing because law enforcement are terrified to enter certain areas.
Those are very good ideas. Prioritizing religious minorities and female immigrants is a good choice, as it is the one to tie immigration to jobs, not welfare, and to create a path for integration.

Policing areas with the necessary amount of force is also a very good idea. If law enforcement is afraid to enter certain areas arm them better or send in the army, don't just leave those areas out of control.