Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Steersman »

masakari2012 wrote:
Quite a good video from Justicar again. And he is quite right to emphasize what appears to be the essence of Edward Clint’s really quite awesome take-down of Rebecca Watson’s talk, i.e., that Watson is essentially engaging in what is tantamount to science denialism or that she is betraying a rather poor understanding of the nature and processes of science – in either case, somewhat of a black mark against her claims to be a skeptic and a credible spokesperson.

Although I note that Clint – in his intial “Points of agreement” – actually conceded that Watson made some good points about the abuses of evolutionary psychology and several of the flawed studies within the discipline along with, in particular, the point in Clint’s words that “stereotypes [are] capable of being very harmful to society.” However, I think that, as Clint persuasively shows, Watson herself is just as guilty of that reliance on stereotypes in using those few “abuses and flawed studies” to infer and conclude – on virtually no evidence whatsoever – that that applies to the entire discipline and corpus.

But what I find somewhat amusing, although highly problematic, is the political dimension to the contretemps, the apparent aversion of feminists to any suggestion that significant portions of gender are not socially constructed and that those portions are in fact entirely genetic. And it is that bias and that prior allegiance to feminism which, I think, tends to cause them to discount and ignore the facts of the matter. For instance, consider the following from one of the sources cited by Clint, a Science/AAAS paper by Diane F. Halpern, which I think points to that same problematic tendency to stereotyping:
Consider a biopsychosocial model in which individuals are predisposed by their biology to learn certain skills more readily than others while everyone selects experiences that are biased by prior learning histories, opportunities afforded in their environments, and beliefs about appropriate behaviors for females and males. Experiences change neural structures, which in turn alter how individuals respond, and so on. As many stereotypes about sex differences reflect group differences between males and females, by learning and endorsing them, individuals may also be selecting environments and experiences that increase or reduce these differences.

A relatively recent paradigm shows just how complicated sex differences can be. Several different researchers examined the way sex differences vary as a function of the gender equality across societies. Consider the finding that, in more gender-equal societies, females perform as well as males in mathematics (7), much better than males in reading (7), and much worse than males in visuospatial tasks (5). No simple theory, such as the hypothesis that sex differences reflect societal norms or that gender-equal societies will reduce all sex differences, can explain this pattern of results.

And that first paragraph illustrates the fact that very small differences in attributes working over a long period of time can produce very large differences in various distributions. A nice example or analogy of that is, I think, the rings of Saturn which have apparently formed because of the influences – the “stabilizing and destablizing resonances” – due to Saturn’s moons. A more prosaic example is the grouping of pebbles along a beach by size due only to repetitive wave action over long periods of time.

But it is the second paragraph which I think suggests a number of problematic aspects or consequences: a lack of comprehension by some that the “findings” refer to population distributions – some females are going to be better than some males in “visiospatial tasks”, for example; that that lack leads to stereotyping; and that somehow, in the minds of some in any case, those differences should justify judgements about personal worth, access to opportunities, and civil rights. The tendency to think that there are no differences seems tantamount to thinking that we should all be the same as peas in a pod or bees in a hive – not a particularly credible philosophy.

Ms. Ogynist

Post by Ms. Ogynist »

ScooterKPFT wrote:Posted at Pharygule:
My old friends and Pharynguliltes.
I think the most important person in history is Genghis Khan, whom slaughtered the ruling class, the landowners and politicians and spread the enlightenment throughout Eurasia.
Genghis Khan....rings a bell....wasn't he burned at the stake by the inquisition?

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

This trend of labelling everything as "privilege" is really getting out of hand.

Get this: You can sit in a regular chair? That's thin privilege!

http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/p ... -take-this

If you are thin and talk about weight-related health issues, that's "healthism" and you are "thinsplaining". Sounds familiar.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ms. Ogynist wrote:
I think the most important person in history is Genghis Khan, whom slaughtered the ruling class, the landowners and politicians and spread the enlightenment throughout Eurasia.
Genghis Khan....rings a bell....wasn't he burned at the stake by the inquisition?
Naaah, that's Einstein you're thinking about...

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Skep tickle wrote:Hard to see how she can miss Edward Clint's article; the twitterverse is abuzz with direct links & links to the Debunking Christianity "Don't judge an argument by its conclusion" post.

Oh, but wait. She's in Australia. They probably don't have the internet yet, all the way down there. :D

(ducks)
Just move your face closer to the screen..

closer...

a little to the left....

*PUNCH*

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There are so many kinds of 'splaining these days. No wonder that the majority of people now identify as having no privilege or being discriminated against.

Manley

Post by Manley »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Today's C&H:

http://www.explosm.net/comics/3004/

(Image too big to be embeded)

Relevant.
I couldn't resist ...

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/ ... pussex.png

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Pinker wrote:This trend of labelling everything as "privilege" is really getting out of hand.
If you are thin and talk about weight-related health issues, that's "healthism" and you are "thinsplaining". Sounds familiar.
The fat victim mentality is hilarious. There is no single greater sign of first world privilege than the fact that our citizens, nearly irrespective of their incomes, can consume incredible amounts of calories and have such sedantary lives that they burn almost none of them off. When you're significantly overweight, you're flaunting your first world privilege. And possibly killing yourself while you're at it.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

http://i.imgur.com/70Nw2.png?1

Okay, finally figured out how to do a screen shot. I think.

Have been checking twitter periodically today to see if RW responds to people directing her attention to Edward Clint's piece. So far, no peep about that, though she did respond to other tweets, including RT one that commented quite nastily on what the tweeter hoped might happen to her with a broken Coke bottle. That's more important to share with everyone, I guess.

I finally followed the link in her tweet above and was surprised to find that it's a cartoon sketch of women with 3 body shapes, suggesting the clothing style that will best allow for weapons to be carried (concealed or not).

I saw it as a jokey pro-violence-against-men cartoon, not quite as bad as the "and if you disagree you will be [castrated]" SMBC cartoon RW included in a talk, but similar.

On the other hand, this "dress for your body type" page may allude to gaming, because the weapons are enchanted daggers, legendary sword, and warhammer, however the clothes in the cartoon don't look like what's I've seen of gaming characters' outfits (as I look over the shoulders of my husband & son).

A bunch of people have "liked" the cartoon or reblogged it. There's no space for comments on that page; those might be interesting to read if there were (and if it weren't about gaming, in which setting carrying weapons is appropriate to the situation, I hear).

Spence

Re: RW

Post by Spence »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:*snip*

Anyway, thanks for listening to my ramble...I feel better now. I just can't see how people can listen to her and pay money.
FTFY

Chemistry joke:

Two chemist go into a pub.

The first tells the bartender: "I"ll have a glass of H2O"

The second says: "I'll have a glass of H2O too"

Then he dies dyes.
FTFTFYFY

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Stumbled across this today: http://rebeccawatsonfanclub.wordpress.com/

(May have been posted at some point in the past in the Slyme Pit; if so, oh well.)

It's satire. The links and photo captions are hilarious. The phrase "eleventh-rate blogger" is linked to Pharyngula (as are other negative terms). The phrase "Elevator gate", meaning The Event, is linked to Elevatorgate's blog.

There are only 7 posts, last was late October 2012 and the one before that was November 2011. Most recent one is titled "When all of life’s choices are rape countermeasures" and includes these sections:
And yet, it’s widely agreed that Rebecca Watson is not only the face of modern skepticism, she’s a central figure in American feminism. Feminism without Rebecca Watson is like hot dogs without mustard, Destiny’s Child without Beyonce, Conan O’Brien without Andy, the Yankees without Jeter. You get the point. Watsonistas with a direct line to the Watsonist inner circle have heard rumblings for some time now, whispers that feminism’s reluctant hero might be persuaded to once again return to the spotlight she loathes for the sake of the cause.
and
You don’t know what it’s like to be Rebecca Watson. You don’t know what it’s like to see a convention floor as a terrifying expanse of blue ocean, with every dick in the room pointed at you, circling like sharks and waiting for any sign of weakness, any subtle cue to unleash phallic violence on the indigo-haired vixen of their wet dreams. She’s wearing heels, so she can’t run! Rape time, motherfucker. When she gets into an elevator or steps outside for a smoke after sundown, it’s on.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

however the clothes in the cartoon don't look like what's I've seen of gaming characters' outfits (as I look over the shoulders of my husband & son)
Huhu, yeah, right, we so believe you...

And for a somewhat of beautiful short video (totaly unrelated):

[youtube]ZSt9tm3RoUU[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

real horrorshow wrote:This is where the line will, or at least should, be drawn. Watson is a phoney. Either conference organisers are going to wise up to the fact that inviting her to speak on science topics she does not understand is a slap in the face for their attendees. Or we may as well start writing off some conferences as having shown that they not about scientific sceptical thinking, they're about socio-political woo.

I'm starting to suspect something that many of the Americans on this forum probably figured out long ago: A large part of the atheist/sceptical/secularist organisations in the US have either never been about reason and scientific thinking or they've long since been hijacked by SJWs. I also suspect that those who attend conferences are significantly different in their thinking and priorities to the 'grass-roots' who are doing the real work and can't afford to attend conferences.
There are also, I think, a lot of so-called charities and orgs which don't do much of anything but provide high salaries for those who created them (charities usually have paid top position(s) and use volunteers for the shit work). Some, like Watson and SoilyAmy, pretend they are raising money for "charity" (which is really just giving vacations to their bought friends to come drink with them) and they are not even registered as a charity.

Watson lied years ago and never applied. She probably didn't want her income made public or maybe compared to how much she actually uses on her "send a woman to some conference" funds. The lamest 'charity' in the world. Aren't there needier causes than to send non-needy women to a party weekend just because they have a vagina? How about find someone really needy and give them rent and food money? These leaches' livelihoods depend on getting money out of other atheists. The only one I trust anymore (for future donations), is the Richard Dawkins Foundation, and I don't even have any good reason for trusting them either. I just do. Or maybe I don't want to acknowledge that it might be like the others.

The moneymaking side of all this makes me feel there is not very much actual altruism or charity happening. It's all a race for money, including all the mere bloggers who are all caught up in ad revenue. Their focus is no longer on their topics, spreading knowledge, or helping anyone who is in actual need, but instead, their focus is at least partly on the money, and how long they can keep the cash cow alive. Controversies are better for them then real news or discussions.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Ms. Ogynist wrote:
Naaah, that's Einstein you're thinking about...
They got Hitchens too. They came marching in, dragged him from his deathbed, and then burned him at the stake. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Or maybe Becky gave a talk on it. :lol:

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Skep tickle wrote:Hard to see how she can miss Edward Clint's article; the twitterverse is abuzz with direct links & links to the Debunking Christianity "Don't judge an argument by its conclusion" post.

Oh, but wait. She's in Australia. They probably don't have the internet yet, all the way down there. :D

(ducks)
Not only do we have the internet, but the Gummint is going to buy us all a new one real soon now. And we get everything on it nearly a whole day before Merkins do. Becky ignored these tweets before the tweeters even thought of sending them.

As the old song says "Truth is outta style".

acathode

Post by acathode »

Ms. Ogynist wrote:
Wouldn't Khan be considered the most successful rapist in the history of man? Didn't they find out that something like 10% of all Asian males had genes from him, since he sired so many kids by raping the women in areas he conquered? Sounds like a perfect hero for Brownian, Sally Strange, and the other deranged FTB commentators...

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

disumbrationist wrote:
Skeeve wrote:Wow, this guy really didn't like Becky's talk at Skepticon:
Science denialism at a skeptic conference
He just swatted a fly with a bulldozer.
Quite apart from the well done demolition of Watson's drivel, labelling the performance as science "denialism" is important. There comes a point when lazy, uniformed, unscholarly snickering, masquerading as serious commentary, goes past just being an insult to the attendees at a conference and actually starts to undermine the credibility of the enterprsie that is hosting this kind is claptrap. Science itself is untouched, but those trying to advocate on behalf of science are undermined by this kind of puffery, which would not pass muster as an undergraduate tutorial paper, and which, to anyone who knows anything about the subject, makes the speaker look like a clueless buffoon.

That such a detailed dismantling was possible at all shows that both "facts" and "reason" have been so devalued in the coterie around Watson et al that she can spout any nonsense and get away with it. In part, because of the poverty of understanding in the audience, in part because she can rely to some extent on others being willing to lay aside any pretence to skeptical inquiry in order to agree with Watson and so become one of the kool kids. But worse, because truth no longer matters to these people - it's a socially constructed phenomenon and is therefore "correctable" by those, like Watson, who see themselves as constructing society (in their own image, of course).

Once "truth" goes, there is only language, theory, and feeling available to assess or to criticise the world with, and that rapidly sours into talking about something rather than doing something, fashionable verbiage impenetrable to the non-initiated, and what Robert Hughes dubbed the "Culture of Complaint". He was writing that in the early 90's, and nothing much has changed. This sort of tosh has damaged, perhaps permanently, the liberal and visual arts, particularly in the US. While Watson and co are not the disease, they are certainly the symptom and the atheist/skeptic body politic, such as it is, will suffer if it continues to finance its addiction to over-sweetened, easily digested, politically safe/correct pap instead of recognising it for the corrosive, anti-intellectual, anti-skeptical bile that it really is.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pinker wrote:This trend of labelling everything as "privilege" is really getting out of hand.
This tendency to self-pity via accusing everyone of having all this alleged "privilege" is one-downmanship of the silliest kind.

[youtube]13JK5kChbRw[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pinker wrote: If you are thin and talk about weight-related health issues, that's "healthism" and you are "thinsplaining". Sounds familiar.
I know from personal experience that no one takes the health and social problems of being too thin seriously. I was painfully thin my whole life before middle age caught up with me. It sucked in many ways, as I said both socially and with regards to my health. But every time I ever tried to sincerely point to men or women who constantly bemoaned their excess weight that being too thin is no walk in the park either, I got angrily shat upon. So eventually, I just decided to say "That really sucks you have such a weight problem. I'm really grateful I can eat as much of any food I like without gaining an ounce" just to fuck with them when they started crying about a few extra pounds. Fuck'em.

acathode

Post by acathode »

AndrewV69 wrote:Myers has no authority as a biologist in the scientific community that I am aware of.

He is done in the circles where it matters (actually he was toast a long time before I said anything about him being an ideolog), so he can wail all he wants to.

You could I suppose, make a case that this is why his focus is not on biology, because he knows it himself. He would have to be completely stupid not to know this by now.

The Don Kane business would not have helped either.
He doesn't need any real authority in the science word to do a blog post consisting of "Cent's post is drivel, I'm a biology professor and you will respect my authoritah!"

Which will be followed by the rest of the gang going:
http://i.imgur.com/X6k97.jpg

The irony is that even if Myers do a intellectually honest and sound scientific post, and manages to prove that evo psych without a doubt is BS, Cint's core point still remains: Watson did a spectacularly badly researched talk that borrowed much from the same tactics handbook that creationist, conspiracy nutjobs and other science deniers take their cues from.

He proved that without a doubt, even if you do happen to agree with Watson's conclusion the fact still remains that the way she got there was unscientific and riddled with dishonest reasoning of the worst kind. The fact that she wasn't booed of the stage is a stain of shame for a community that claims that it above all else values skeptical thinking and science.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

As an FYI, elevatorGATE has another address. Whether or not it's a mirror or permanent will be for him to announce:

elevatorgate

Reap

Post by Reap »

Manley wrote:
I couldn't resist ...

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/ ... pussex.png
awesome

lost control

Post by lost control »

I catched up somewhat, only a few days behind now. It helps getting a few chuckles and some distraction from reading the thread.

Thanks for all those kind words regarding my gal. Her condition is slowly, but steadily improving so far. Well, it does take a while until the meds take effect to bring the thyroidical (sp?) hormone levels back to normal. At least the psychiatric effects are mostly gone.
It seems she might even be released next week, if current tests don't come back with bad results, but we'll have to wait for another two weeks after that for some more test results to come back in. Then she might get additional treatment, depending on what other side issues can be ruled out. Something to do with contra-indicated meds, depending on actual diagnosis.
I'll try to get off from work when she's released, so I can assist her during the first few days, the paranoia is still lurking and while she longs to get home, she indicated doubts about actually staying at her place, especially alone. Understandable after that psychotic episode.
Well, yet another entry in her quite long medical history. She can't seem to catch a break. At least her good eye checked out fine and unaffected by the current stuff. Still fucking bad vision, but otherwise fine. And yeah, still blind on the other one.

Before I forget:
Best wishes to MKG.
ERV, I hope you find some way to better contain those migraines, again.

Back to packing my shit, so I can head back to the hospital and go straight to the train from there.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

masakari2012 wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:First sighting in the wild!
http://i.imgur.com/PWV4N.jpg
Goddamn, I got a huge fucking head. Lmfao.
Looks like you've got a huge fucking white cock too. :o
Respect mah authoriteh!!!

codelette

Post by codelette »

Just caught up with the DramaMelodyGate. lol. The lulz are never ending with those assholes. On another note, I remembered when I first read that expression "sister punisher"...
http://s7.postimage.org/6we7nbard/Scree ... _32_AM.png

...so Mel, how does the "abuse" feels now? Bitch.

Guessed

Post by Guessed »

I see the responses from the FtB crowd to that piece by Clint as being one of two:
a) Completely ignoring it.
b) Attacking the premise of evolutionary psychology itself and using that to justify Watson's criticism, despite the fact that the entire blog post is based around the idea that even if some EP is questionable, the manner in which Watson "critiqued" (I feel that's an insult to the word) it was laughable, baseless and showed a fundamental lack of scientific knowledge on her part.

That video is so horribly embarrassing for Watson, it truly is. I thought the trope regarding how she always mentions being in the bar was exaggerated, but she plays it out at the beginning of this talk as well. What a fucking train wreck of a presentation. Someone in the comments section as skeptic ink pointed out that Watson humiliates herself anyway in her response to the question from the audience at the end, but it's nice to see a point by point refutation which is lovingly referenced. I love how she's so blasé about dismissing the entire field as either awful, or boring with made up conclusions. She just makes herself look like a complete moron who has zero idea of what she's talking about. I'm actually really annoyed about this, what a disgrace. I'm loath to think what she would have been paid for that nonsense (do the speakers at Skepticon get paid?).

The bottom line is that in my view her presentation, combined with the dissection by Clint, does more to damage her reputation within the minds of "honest" skeptics (you'd think this would be redundant given what skepticism is about - evidence - but I feel I need to include it as a qualifier) than any words of her opponents ever could.

What a joke.

Guessed

Post by Guessed »

Also, even though I'm an atheist, left-of-centre, consider myself a feminist etc. etc. if I saw someone in my university library with the stickers on their laptop that the new FtB blogger has, I'd avoid them at all costs. I just get the impression that they'd be super annoying, like a lot of hardcore liberals are.

/selfhatingliberal

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

Watson has been exposed as the charlatan and fraud that she really is with this evolutionary psychology bit.

Really, this dismissing of an entire field on ideological grounds almost reminds me of Lysenkos biology in the soviet union - dismissing genetics as "psuedoscience" in favor of Lamarckian ideas of inheritance of acquired characteristics, just because it fit better with the Soviet narrative. Maybe its an extreme comparison, but I see definite parallels.

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

Justin Griffith has posted about it:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... air-shake/

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guessed wrote:Also, even though I'm an atheist, left-of-centre, consider myself a feminist etc. etc. if I saw someone in my university library with the stickers on their laptop that the new FtB blogger has, I'd avoid them at all costs. I just get the impression that they'd be super annoying, like a lot of hardcore liberals are.

/selfhatingliberal
LOL. Gotta agree with that assessment. It just screams "Pay attention to me! Look at meeeeeee! I'm nerdygeekycool and I am for all the cool causes!" It's the mark of a person who is more worried about being fashionably PC rather than actually doing anything constructive. The whole contrived hipster douchebag vibe, ya know. They keep the Women's Issues 101 classes filled, but never actually accomplish anything. A perfect fit for the FftB poseur echo chamber.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KarlVonMox wrote:Justin Griffith has posted about it:
He's terrified of the potential comments coming his way, so he pre-emptively threatens to shut comments down if people actually talk about what they may want to talk about. However, his blog has completely bottomed out in terms of readership (why does he bother continuing his FtB bootlicking?), so I'm betting he has nothing to worry about.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

KarlVonMox wrote:Justin Griffith has posted about it:
good grief. That boy is far too easily convinced in general by the looks.
Carrier utterly convinced him with his take down of Bart Erhman? really?
Theres a reason why Bart has a job and Carrier dosnt

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

Utterly OT, but it appears that something of a tempest in a teacup has been raised over at WEIT by a poster named 'Rosasharon Joad' concerning a remark that may or may not have been made by PZ Myers:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... ent-330582

It's an interesting topic thread anyway.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Martin wagner is in the comments section of ed's blog. That's atheist experience host, and blogger wagner. That's wagner who called for pappa's doxx on pzblog. That's wagner who considers himself a caller outer of bullshit. A bulwark of skeptical thinking.

Does wagner address any point in Ed's post? Does he fuck. Does he congratulate Ed on an indepth desconstruction of a bullshit artist? Does he fuck. What he does do is troll commenters.

Not surprising considering he and his Axp friends are free from thought watson cheerleaders.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

http://www.alstefanelli.com/tdfp.jpg

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

curious lurker wrote:Utterly OT, but it appears that something of a tempest in a teacup has been raised over at WEIT by a poster named 'Rosasharon Joad' concerning a remark that may or may not have been made by PZ Myers:

I dont think he ever said that. I dont remember it and it seems like a point we would have archived.

welch

Post by welch »

Just read Clint's post. That's not killing an ant with a bulldozer. That's a sustained attack on a rowboat by a carrier group with submarine support.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

curious lurker wrote:Utterly OT, but it appears that something of a tempest in a teacup has been raised over at WEIT by a poster named 'Rosasharon Joad' concerning a remark that may or may not have been made by PZ Myers:

It sounds like a bad effort at trolling.
PZ Myers *has* been quoted as saying if he ran things, he’d kill anyone who expressed a belief in God.
I don't like Peezus but I cannot believe he would come out with something so blatantly ridiculous.

The commenter said it was posted on "the ERV Periodic Table of Swearing thread a while back."

Does anyone recall anything like that?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

This "Rosasharon Joad" person is doing it wrong. I'll even stick up for PZ here and express serious doubt that he ever said anything like "if he ran things, he’d kill anyone who expressed a belief in God."

Making a damning accusation about something awful someone *thinks* PZ may have said, and then not being able to back it up with the slightest bit of evidence, it not The Way It Works.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I don't like Peezus but I cannot believe he would come out with something so blatantly ridiculous.

The commenter said it was posted on "the ERV Periodic Table of Swearing thread a while back."

No. If he had, it would have made the Slimepit Hall of Fame.

Guessed

Post by Guessed »

ERV wrote:

I dont think he ever said that. I dont remember it and it seems like a point we would have archived.
Agreed. If he ever said anything like it I imagine it would have been tongue-in-cheek, there's no way he actually believes that. I mean, they say some odd things, like

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxghz ... o1_500.png

but the only way I read that is as sarcasm.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I don't know about you lot but when I was a kid I would wish with all my heart to watch a live stream of Russell Glasser and Jason Thiebault playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on a NES. I honestly couldn't think of a more productive use of my time than to watch two knobs playing an obsolete console game based on an obsolete cartoon aimed at under 12's.

Well now my life is complete.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/axp/2012/11 ... s-weekend/

Thank you Russell. Thank you so much.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

rayshul wrote:There are so many kinds of 'splaining these days. No wonder that the majority of people now identify as having no privilege or being discriminated against.
That's a whole lot of splainsplaining you're doin' there, pardner...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Za-zen wrote:Martin wagner is in the comments section of ed's blog. That's atheist experience host, and blogger wagner. That's wagner who called for pappa's doxx on pzblog. That's wagner who considers himself a caller outer of bullshit. A bulwark of skeptical thinking.

Does wagner address any point in Ed's post? Does he fuck. Does he congratulate Ed on an indepth desconstruction of a bullshit artist? Does he fuck. What he does do is troll commenters.

Not surprising considering he and his Axp friends are free from thought watson cheerleaders.
real horrorshow--
Who are people paying large sums to attend conferences to watch a hungover charlatan bumble her way through this nonsense?
Martin Wagner--
Skepticon is free to attend.
Well, Stupid, Skepticon is not the only conference Watson speaks at. It is not the only conference she speaks outside her realm of expertise. It is not the only conference where she used her time to demean and slander individuals exponentially more accomplished than her. It is not the only conference where she brags and bumbles and makes an embarrassing show of herself, outside of the presentation topic.

Even granting the premise that 'Skepticon is free to attend', UR PIRIVLAGE IS SHAWING, Wagner. Outside of what blu said about travel/lodging expenses, some people have to work on Fridays, and/or Saturdays and/or Sundays. Some people have children, parents, and partners they need to care for, and time away requires hiring babysitters/nurses/kind neighbors. But again, this is not the only conference Twatson speaks at, and others cost a significant amount of cash to attend.

Hes trolling in an attempt to draw attention away from the post. Fuck you, Wagner, pathetic shit.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

KarlVonMox wrote:Watson has been exposed as the charlatan and fraud that she really is with this evolutionary psychology bit.

Really, this dismissing of an entire field on ideological grounds almost reminds me of Lysenkos biology in the soviet union - dismissing genetics as "psuedoscience" in favor of Lamarckian ideas of inheritance of acquired characteristics, just because it fit better with the Soviet narrative. Maybe its an extreme comparison, but I see definite parallels.
Yup. Coincidentally enough, after reading some more about Becky's booboo, I figured that even if we presume the evo-psych field to be as spurious as she suggests, then her attempted takedown of it was akin to someone deploying Lamarckism to knock Creationism.

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

PZ Myers *has* been quoted as saying if he ran things, he’d kill anyone who expressed a belief in God.
I don't like Peezus but I cannot believe he would come out with something so blatantly ridiculous.

Not certain this person's deliberately trolling, though their inability to cite a direct source isn't helping them any. I don't take away, from the tone of some of their other posts there, that they're just trying to be some 'anti-PZ' jerk bombing the thread. I think they are pretty certain they've seen this remark as being attributed to him, but may not have all of their facts straight.

At any rate, I do find it kind of amusing that RJ has now brought up Myers infamous "fuck him into the ground" remark, and not one of the replies--Jerry's included--has cared to acknowledge this or touch it with a ten-foot pole apparently...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Za-zen wrote:Martin wagner is in the comments section of ed's blog. That's atheist experience host, and blogger wagner. That's wagner who called for pappa's doxx on pzblog. That's wagner who considers himself a caller outer of bullshit. A bulwark of skeptical thinking.

He's combing the comments looking for points to score instead of rebutting the actual article. I expect no less from the hobbit-like penis-bot.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

ERV wrote:

real horrorshow--
Who are people paying large sums to attend conferences to watch a hungover charlatan bumble her way through this nonsense?
Martin Wagner--
Skepticon is free to attend.
Well, Stupid, Skepticon is not the only conference Watson speaks at. It is not the only conference she speaks outside her realm of expertise. It is not the only conference where she used her time to demean and slander individuals exponentially more accomplished than her. It is not the only conference where she brags and bumbles and makes an embarrassing show of herself, outside of the presentation topic.

Even granting the premise that 'Skepticon is free to attend', UR PIRIVLAGE IS SHAWING, Wagner. Outside of what blu said about travel/lodging expenses, some people have to work on Fridays, and/or Saturdays and/or Sundays. Some people have children, parents, and partners they need to care for, and time away requires hiring babysitters/nurses/kind neighbors. But again, this is not the only conference Twatson speaks at, and others cost a significant amount of cash to attend.

Hes trolling in an attempt to draw attention away from the post. Fuck you, Wagner, pathetic shit.
Agreed. What do you do when you don't like a well argued post? Attempt to point score (and fail miserably) off of commenters. What a knobend.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: I don't like Peezus but I cannot believe he would come out with something so blatantly ridiculous.

He referred to the original pit, which he claims is now history. Maybe SN wants to point him to her archive?

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

No, and as I recall, PZ had stopped commenting on ERV entirely by then, along with issuing his "my way or the highway" demand about Abbie and conferences.

Had he actually said that, I find it hard to believe it would have been so thoroughly ignored, esp. by me.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:No. If he had, it would have made the Slimepit Hall of Fame.
The Slimepit would've been also-rans after every creationist in the world. That stuff would've been like found money to them.

Even that annoying weeble Chris Mooney, who wasn't above lifting PZ quotes out of context to make them more inflammatory, missed it. Coyne should just block the troll.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:

He referred to the original pit, which he claims is now history. Maybe SN wants to point him to her archive?
I wasn't around for the original threads until the last month or so of the ERV Periodic Table thread, but I do know that I have read every comment on this thread, and it's a sure bet that a white-hot inflammatory comment like that would have been referenced repeatedly here, much like "fuck him into the ground" has been. In any case, I have a feeling that the commenter who made that allegation regarding what he thinks maybe PZ supposedly said would find some excuse not to comb through SN's archive looking for evidence to support the aleegation.

Luckily incidents like this are rare, although I'm sure Peezus and his buddies will point to factless, scurrilous comments like that and say "See? All the bad things people say about us are libelous crap like this". Ignoring, of course, all the countless spot-on criticisms that have been made about them over the last couple of years.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Blair Scott resigns from his Director of Outreach position with American Atheists saying that he is tired of the in-fighting in the atheist movement at every level:

http://atheists.org/open-letter-blair-scott

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Jesus Fucking CHRIST!

[youtube]PzIg4_R2VOI[/youtube]

Altair

Post by Altair »

codelette wrote:Just caught up with the DramaMelodyGate. lol. The lulz are never ending with those assholes. On another note, I remembered when I first read that expression "sister punisher"...
http://s7.postimage.org/6we7nbard/Scree ... _32_AM.png

...so Mel, how does the "abuse" feels now? Bitch.
The sister punishers/gender traitors are doing this to gain favor of sexist men?

That sucks! Not one of the women in the pit has ever como to MY house to gainMY favor. Is there a schedule or something? I want to make sure I'm home when you come over.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

justinvacula wrote:Blair Scott resigns from his Director of Outreach position with American Atheists saying that he is tired of the in-fighting in the atheist movement at every level:

http://atheists.org/open-letter-blair-scott
[youtube]rY0WxgSXdEE[/youtube]

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I'm going to hold off on the 'troll' accusation until futher evidence that it could be the case is presented, if it is. Hell, I've read enough tons of crappage on the intertubes to be sometimes uncertain of a direct source, and have probably mis-referenced where I read something a few times publicly, myself. After all, despite Google's best efforts to archive everything in the known universe, not every scrap of information gets preserved on the 'net indefinitely, so sometimes going back and sourcing a precise reference can be tricky, especially if the person is not particularly web-literate.

Admittedly though, I have to agree that a comment that incendiary would likely be fairly easy to find. Most theist sites would have had a field day with it, and doubtless saved it to be quoted ad infinitum. It could be possible, giving the benefit of the doubt, that RJ may have read it elsewhere than the internet and is not recalling correctly--this person does acknowledge that it was a year or so ago that they originally came across the supposed quote.

S/he doesn't look as if they're trying to disrupt the thread, and have said they'll back off the claim until they can find a direct source for the supposed PeeZus statement. Scented Nectar's archive could be potentially helpful to this person, if they're wanting to give evidence of some of Myer's less laudable remarks. Not that there isn't a plethora out there to cite anyway, if discrediting PZ out of his own mouth is their main intent.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:

It's in my signature, but in case anyone has sigs turned off, here it is:
http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit-archive/

All of PZ's comments at the Slimepit are in there somewhere. I can't remember how many he did (1? 2?), but they're in there somewhere. Just do a Ctrl-F search on the pages for "pz myers".

I'm pretty sure that if he did indeed say that thing about killing all believers, that it wasn't on the Slimepit. His panties were in a knot over something else while he was here.

Altair

Post by Altair »

On the topic of Y U NO SKEPTIC's awesomeness, here he/she is engaging BenFromCanada.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7111/yunok.png

Congratulations on Y U NO for being able to withstand Ben's crap for more than 2 tweets, that's more than I can manage.

That "stop being ableist" remark was priceless, they really don't react well to having their own arguments used against them.

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »