Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
James Caruthers

Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by James Caruthers »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
So an update for anyone who wants to know.

This is basically the end of my second week. The job search is going well I think but I have yet to have any offers of employment. I am hopeful that will change soon.

On the money front I am not in a great place. If I was a start up I would be opening my second round of funding. Going to talk to my mother and see if I can get a loan from some family members. Unfortunately there are no McDuck's in my family.

I didn't get to see the kids last weekend because my wife was working. I had hope to spend the fourth with them but my wife made plans to be with her family without discussing it with me. That pissed me off a lot. I am getting to see them tomorrow. We are getting a hotel room halfway between where they are staying an Atlanta. So that is cool but I still wish I was spending the 4th with them.

I am doing what I can to stay positive and the pit is a big part of that.

Once again I want to thank everyone for their support.
This is fourth-hand information, so take or leave.

IMO you should be writing all this shit down: all this "I'm working so you cant see the kids" (really? Isn't that the perfect time to have them? Nobody, not no grandparent, can stop you seeing them if they are not with your wife, assuming she has not yet had a legal position taken against you being alone with them).

Or "I had hope to spend the fourth with them but my wife made plans to be with her family without discussing it with me." Get real, mate. I hope it all ends up in a wonderland of makeup anal and drinking tequila from her belly button. But this is an absolutely crucial time, when you absolutely need to be making accurate notes of every single one of these times when plans were changed by her, leading to you being denied access to your children. And her using other family members, instead of you, to cover for absences. State explicitly, maybe in writing (how romantic, but whatever) that if she needs child care, YOU are the go-to person.

Good luck commie.
Yeah, this could be setting the stage for a reversal where she claims all those times she canceled on him, was him canceling on her, ergo bad father ergo give custody to her because he wasn't around... Or some shit.

Hope for the best, but prep for the worst.

James Caruthers

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Steersman wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:I hate to link Wiki like a Steers, but here you go.
:o :shock: Oh noes!! Apostasy! ;)
I know. I felt bad about it to, so I read a few chapters of Novum Organum as penance.

James Caruthers

Actually I lied, IIRC Novum Organum is only 14 pages in pdf form, so you don't really need to read whole chapters of it.

http://faculty.cua.edu/mackm/HUM/texts/ ... rganum.pdf

Come learn what all the fuss is about, everyone! Is the hype real? : D

James Caruthers

Wild Zontargs wrote:In today's "reddit is run by morons" news, they fired their admin responsible for official, high-profile "ask me anything" Q&A events with no notice, cutting people off mid-response by shutting down the entire subforum, and leaving interviewees standing around the office with their thumbs up their asses.

This was apparently one of reddit's biggest selling points for investors, a bunch of the major subforums are shutting themselves down in protest, nobody knows what's going on, and everyone's pissed. Good job, guys.
Plebbit gonna pleb. They targeted FPH as part of a campaign to destroy anything that didn't promote a safe space. KotakuinAction is probably next. They love shadowbans and just straight-up doing whatever the fuck they want in secret without telling anyone or even making it possible for people to see what's going on. A bunch of subs are running scared and going private in hopes they won't be mass flagged by the hugbox brigade. The end is near.

James Caruthers

NoGodsEver wrote:
We need to read and write about bees and wasps to create a space that legitimizes them. Like many other animals (especially insects), bees and wasps are objectified by our culture in a way that allows us to treat them with absolute disrespect.

If we care about issues of oppression or any non-human animal at all, we need to radically rethink bees and wasps because oppressions are interconnected, uphold one another, and it is our moral obligation to protect victims. I certainly don't know if this is the best way to radically rethink bees and wasps, but it is hopefully one of many attempts.
My dogs stirred up a yellowjacket nest in my back yard a few days ago and one of them got stung a few times. Wasps can go fuck themselves.
I was visiting my father a while ago, and he has a shit ton of wasps on his property. The weird thing is, those guys are tame as hell and don't bother anyone. It was really weird. They have nests all up under his eaves. Probably 5 of those nests all around. The wasps were all over and yet they didn't care about people at all.

Contrast with my usual wasp experience, where I'm the only human around for two blocks and there's a single wasp in the same vicinity, and the little motherfucker decides I'm super fucking fascinating and he should get in my face.

Post by Guest »

jet_lagg wrote:And while we're on the subject of being charitable. Shermertron has posted some good examples of actual dialogue over at Myers'

https://twitter.com/Shermertron

Not that any of them would ever admit the pit also has honest dialogue (or if they did, they'd be banned).

And I don't know how to link to specific tweets. Sorry for the general URL.
He's not being charitable, the dialog he posted was from 2012. He's saying that's disappeared.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

James Caruthers wrote:I was visiting my father a while ago, and he has a shit ton of wasps on his property. The weird thing is, those guys are tame as hell and don't bother anyone. It was really weird. They have nests all up under his eaves. Probably 5 of those nests all around. The wasps were all over and yet they didn't care about people at all.

Contrast with my usual wasp experience, where I'm the only human around for two blocks and there's a single wasp in the same vicinity, and the little motherfucker decides I'm super fucking fascinating and he should get in my face.
I'll see your account and raise you this...

Several years ago I was based in Germany (Place called Fallingbostel, lovely little town surrounded by beautiful countryside) and one day, during a particularly warm summer, I stepped out of the shower and started to towel myself off. The area around the camp is heavily wooded and as such, we sometimes play unwitting host to the occasional inquisitive critter or particularly adventurous beastie. As I was ruffing my hair dry, I failed to detect the bug that has been using my towel as a hiding place. Not sure what the buggers are called* but we nicknamed them "B52's" because of the unmistakable droning noise they make in flight. Sadly for me (and the poor bug), it popped like a balloon and I spent a moment working its innards, legs and carapace into my hair and scalp before I felt it.

I'm not saying I hate bugs...but I hate bugs.

* Like large sting-less bees, pretty fuzzy/hairy and of a dull brown/sandy coloration.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

James Caruthers wrote:Actually I lied, IIRC Novum Organum is only 14 pages in pdf form, so you don't really need to read whole chapters of it.

http://faculty.cua.edu/mackm/HUM/texts/ ... rganum.pdf

Come learn what all the fuss is about, everyone! Is the hype real? : D
Seems that's only a smallish portion of Book 1 of 2. This seems a more complete version - from a link in the Wikipedia article:
http://www.constitution.org/bacon/nov_org.htm
Seems to be about 60-odd pages.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

James Caruthers wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Or maybe you don't really understand the meaning, implications, and definition for the word racism:
rac·ism (rā′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Both clearly apply.

1) Steers believes that the white race-oops I mean western culture, is in all respects superior to the black race-I mean, Islamic people and culture, ...
2) Steers believes on the basis established in 1) that all niggers-sorry, I mean Muslims, should be deported from white-I mean, western, society. ....

Race is not analogous to religion in all cases. But if someone wants to apply a textbook racist argument to a religious group, then the comparison is applicable.
Different kettles of fish, methinks, if not actually kettles of critters from entirely different phyla. For one thing, race is defined by different "physical or genetic traits" whereas religion is defined by differents sets of beliefs, ideas, and values - the former of which we don't really have any control over, the latter of which we do or should have at least some. In addition, it's quite moot whether, on average, there are any great differences in the capabilities and limitations for different races whereas it should be manifestly obvious that there is a very great difference in the utility and accuracy of different sets of ideas - unless maybe you think alchemy is on par with modern chemistry.

And it's those very great differences which I think makes your analogy more or less null and void.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Bhurzum wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:I was visiting my father a while ago, and he has a shit ton of wasps on his property. The weird thing is, those guys are tame as hell and don't bother anyone. It was really weird. They have nests all up under his eaves. Probably 5 of those nests all around. The wasps were all over and yet they didn't care about people at all.

I'll see your account and raise you this...

Several years ago I was based in Germany (Place called Fallingbostel, lovely little town surrounded by beautiful countryside) and one day, during a particularly warm summer, I stepped out of the shower and started to towel myself off. The area around the camp is heavily wooded and as such, we sometimes play unwitting host to the occasional inquisitive critter or particularly adventurous beastie. As I was ruffing my hair dry, I failed to detect the bug that has been using my towel as a hiding place. Not sure what the buggers are called* but we nicknamed them "B52's" because of the unmistakable droning noise they make in flight. Sadly for me (and the poor bug), it popped like a balloon and I spent a moment working its innards, legs and carapace into my hair and scalp before I felt it.

I'm not saying I hate bugs...but I hate bugs.

* Like large sting-less bees, pretty fuzzy/hairy and of a dull brown/sandy coloration.
Considering people here from around the world, Fallingbostel is practically around the corner. You probably had to do with a Cockchafer, the common Maybug — the Maikäfer (now that I see it, is english “chafer” etymologically related to german “Käfer” (=beetle)? As the name suggests, they are common in may and early june but not every year (some years you don't see any, in the next you may see a kind of swarm), attributed to their lifecycle.

They are beautiful for a beetle, with white triangular markings and even white “fur”. They are the largest beetle you'll commonly see in Germany (there are some larger ones, but they are rare or well-hidden in forests, like stag beetles).

http://www.natuerlich-online.ch/typo3te ... ea8723.jpg

http://view.stern.de/de/rubriken/makro/ ... 19981.html

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Aneris wrote:Considering people here from around the world, Fallingbostel is practically around the corner. You probably had to do with a Cockchafer, the common Maybug — the Maikäfer (now that I see it, is english “chafer” etymologically related to german “Käfer” (=beetle)? As the name suggests, they are common in may and early june but not every year (some years you don't see any, in the next you may see a kind of swarm), attributed to their lifecycle.

They are beautiful for a beetle, with white triangular markings and even white “fur”. They are the largest beetle you'll commonly see in Germany (there are some larger ones, but they are rare or well-hidden in forests, like stag beetles).

http://www.natuerlich-online.ch/typo3te ... ea8723.jpg

http://view.stern.de/de/rubriken/makro/ ... 19981.html
Yup, that looks like the critter in question.

R.I.P.

Thanks for the info :P

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/flqs0jO.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: to whoever. Carrier you oblivious "atheistic-draw" of a twit.

http://www.moviepilot.de/files/images/0 ... derson.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I note convergence still hasn't got the non-objectification memo despite the attendance two clowns in the centre.

http://i.imgur.com/7EDwS25.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Parody Accountant wrote:Peezus christ. Look at this neck beard:

https://i.imgur.com/ZrFIQb6.jpg

Please tell me that none of you fellows have actual neck beards. I've seen them before, even some 'epic' ones on reddit. For some reason this is the worst one I've seen.

Dr. Zaius?

http://enr.expertcomics.com/images/enr- ... -zaius.jpg

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Today I learnt that Dr Richard Carrier 'looks at all through the eyes of a philosopher'. I have a BSc in Maths & Philosophy, but sadly not a very high qualification as I only just achieved a pass. Even so, through my studies I learnt that philosophers do their work by thinking and using their brains. There is absolutely no requirement for philosophers to have or use eyes.

I think the good Doctor is confusing people who use their brains, with people who use their eyes. These people are known as voyeurs, by the way.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Please tell me that none of you fellows have actual neck beards. I've seen them before, even some 'epic' ones on reddit. For some reason this is the worst one I've seen.
I think I saw that one in Planet of the Apes. I know a few homosexuals who would recoil in horror from that as well.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tribble wrote:

Dr. Zaius?

http://enr.expertcomics.com/images/enr- ... -zaius.jpg
Ningered by less than an hour. Oh, to have gotten off work earlier!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Bhurzum wrote:I've ordered Before The Dawn, thanks for all the recommendations.

You buggers better be careful, you might even edjimacate me!

https://ayearofholidays.files.wordpress ... ce-cap.jpg
There's a special pleasure in seeing someone else start to discover something you yourself particularly enjoy.* Another book I'd recommend to all is 'Voltaire's Bastards' by John Ralston Saul.

*The opposite also applies, just as when J M Barrie describes introducing worthy friends to the Arcadia Mixture:
Barrie wrote:It was now that I approached him with the Arcadia Mixture. I seldom recommend the Arcadia to men whom I do not know intimately, lest in the after-years I should find them unworthy of it. But just as Aladdin doubtless rubbed his lamp at times for show, there were occasions when I was ostentatiously liberal. If, after trying the Arcadia, the lucky smoker to whom I presented it did not start or seize my hand, or otherwise show that something exquisite had come into his life, I at once forgot his name and his existence.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

NoGodsEver wrote:
We need to read and write about bees and wasps to create a space that legitimizes them. Like many other animals (especially insects), bees and wasps are objectified by our culture in a way that allows us to treat them with absolute disrespect.

If we care about issues of oppression or any non-human animal at all, we need to radically rethink bees and wasps because oppressions are interconnected, uphold one another, and it is our moral obligation to protect victims. I certainly don't know if this is the best way to radically rethink bees and wasps, but it is hopefully one of many attempts.
My dogs stirred up a yellowjacket nest in my back yard a few days ago and one of them got stung a few times. Wasps can go fuck themselves.
I have been made aware, by my veterinary surgeon colleagues, that a wasp sting on a dog is considered an extreme emergency, requiring a rapid response to reach the dog, treat it and bill the owner before the animal gets better on its own.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

screwtape wrote:There's a special pleasure in seeing someone else start to discover something you yourself particularly enjoy.
Aye, I tried telling that to my ex-wife but she was having none of it!

/cough

Had to Google "Arcadia mixture" and ended up reading this...

http://riddleofthesands.net/wordpress/2 ... n-mixture/

Next time I'm in London, I'm going to seek out that shop!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Meet Ellen Pao, the Reddit CEO who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand:
[–]Freddie_AppsHero 217 points 2 hours ago
At her last company, she filed complaints against the other women to keep them down, then used that as evidence to say that the company was anti-women.
permalinkparent
[–]suptho 172 points an hour ago*
Here ya go. [youtube]f_Mbj5Rg1Fs[/youtube] It's infuriating to watch.
She sucked at her job, got fired, then complained that it was because she's a woman. Took them to court and lost, where a jury of her peers concluded that she indeed just sucked at her job. Pretty funny. Dumb entitled bitch.
permalinkparent
Reddit interim CEO Ellen Pao is asking her previous employer for $2.7M for a guarantee that she won't appeal. I'm tracking the deletions of this topic here[META]
3,539 points 244 comments submitted 27 days ago by SuperConductiveRabbi to /r/undelete
I'd come out and call this blatant extortion from someone who would rather spend her time pursuing a money-making scheme rather than be a proper leader for this website, but I don't want to end up like the last Redditors who criticized Ellen Pao
Reddit
Articles:

Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015 ... to-appeal/
Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/ ... 9X20150605 or http://reut.rs/1MtDmHj Deletions so far:
USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015 ... /28553151/
Recode: http://recode.net/2015/06/04/why-did-el ... e-reason?1
SFGate: http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/ ... 309700.php
NBCNews: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fir ... on-n370811
Fortune: http://fortune.com/2012/10/25/ellen-pao-buddy-fletcher/ (this was an old article)
/r/EllenPaoInAction
/r/EllenPaoSucksBalls
/r/PaoIsKillingReddit Banned, no explanation available
/r/EllenPaoSucks
/r/ImpeachPao
/r/EllenIsKillingReddit
/r/EllenPaongyang
Ellen Pao Fact 2: Ellen Pao is implicated in stealing $150,000,000 in a ponzi scheme, stealing from firefighters pension funds since 2007/8 with hubby Buddy Fletcher.
337 points 65 comments submitted 21 days ago by DrSplashyPants to /r/rulefollower
REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐
210 points 2 comments submitted 21 days ago by jasmingives0 to /r/Stuff
REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 REDDIT CEO ELLEN PAO 卐 卐 卐 卐卐 卐 卐 卐 卐
more
...etc. :popcorn:

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

lol, the humanities

windy

Post by windy »

blitzem wrote:
Tribble wrote:I think I need to inject some racist cultural appropriation now:

[youtube]FfIpz2ys1wQ[/youtube]
Apparently this was insanely popular in Japan when it came out. Suck on that, Peezus. :mrgreen:
[youtube]1iwPZtutMlM[/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: Both clearly apply.

1) Steers believes that the white race-oops I mean western culture, is in all respects superior to the black race-I mean, Islamic people and culture, ...
2) Steers believes on the basis established in 1) that all niggers-sorry, I mean Muslims, should be deported from white-I mean, western, society. ....

Race is not analogous to religion in all cases. But if someone wants to apply a textbook racist argument to a religious group, then the comparison is applicable.
Different kettles of fish, methinks, if not actually kettles of critters from entirely different phyla. For one thing, race is defined by different "physical or genetic traits" whereas religion is defined by differents sets of beliefs, ideas, and values - the former of which we don't really have any control over, the latter of which we do or should have at least some. In addition, it's quite moot whether, on average, there are any great differences in the capabilities and limitations for different races whereas it should be manifestly obvious that there is a very great difference in the utility and accuracy of different sets of ideas - unless maybe you think alchemy is on par with modern chemistry.

And it's those very great differences which I think makes your analogy more or less null and void.[/quote]

The problem with your ideas isn't the difference between religion and race. That's a moot point.

The problem with your ideas is that they're authoritarian, they go against cardinal principles of liberalism such as freedom of religion and freedom of opinion, and the ascribe collective guilt to a group for the action of some members of this group.

If we renounce to liberalism just because we're afraid of terrorist attack this means that the terrorists are strong enough to make us change the nature of our society to fight them. It also means that all the effort that people have undertaken to spread the ideas of human rights and liberalism are pointless, because some morons with guns and explosives are enough to make us give away what we've built and protected for decades.

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.”

You might not be a racist but you are still an authoritarian, illiberal, fascistic wannabe social engineer. Your ideas can be compared to the Nazi plans to transfer Jews to Madagascar, or to the Soviet plans to transfer "problematic" populations to Siberia.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I enjoyed watching feminist Cenk Uygur squirm & yelp "I'm an American!" as his co-hosts went full-SJW at the 7-minute mark...
[youtube]j5a4wtscImc[/youtube]

Yes, Cenk, it does come down to a conflict between American constitutional ideology vs. feminist ideology.

Guestus Aurelius

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

New thread!

windy

Post by windy »

Git

Post by Git »

Wait, there's a beetle called a "cockchafer"?!!!!!??????

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

New Thread!!!

Happy Pitday!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Happy Finland Friday and Happy Birthday to the Pit!

http://www.out.com/sites/out.com/files/ ... nd_633.jpg

I am about to head out to meet the kids in a hotel for a night together. IF any or you shitlords or trash wizards happen to have some way to control the weather, being it anti-rain dancing, voodoo, or a friend that works at HARP, could I trouble you to make it stop in central Alabama?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote:You might not be a racist but you are still an authoritarian, illiberal, fascistic wannabe social engineer. Your ideas can be compared to the Nazi plans to transfer Jews to Madagascar, or to the Soviet plans to transfer "problematic" populations to Siberia.
Or the SJW plans to socially ostracize people out of polite society.

Just saying.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Git wrote:Wait, there's a beetle called a "cockchafer"?!!!!!??????
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/epi ... 0123021911

windy

Post by windy »

Kirbmarc wrote: In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.”
Not to disagree with the sentiment, but that's a much more extreme version of the quote than the presumed original:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:List ... F_security

It seems to be pretty widely accepted that we can give up some (non-essential?) liberty for security, unless you're opposed to courts, police, security checks, etc.

Really?

Post by Really? »

windy wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.”
Not to disagree with the sentiment, but that's a much more extreme version of the quote than the presumed original:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

It seems to be pretty widely accepted that we can give up some (non-essential?) liberty for security, unless you're opposed to courts, police, security checks, etc.
That's part of the point, isn't it? It's one thing to have a police force. It's another thing to welcome CC cameras everywhere you go in public. Taking off your shoes to get on a plane. Putting your shit through a metal detector to go to a baseball game.

Where's the line? We all agree that we need police forces. But are we truly free if we are asked to submit to a cavity search just to go to a baseball game?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Bhurzum wrote:
Git wrote:Wait, there's a beetle called a "cockchafer"?!!!!!??????
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/epi ... 0123021911
http://dc464.4shared.com/img/MkTZI4PW/s ... m-2383.jpg

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

windy wrote:

How would you define "essential Liberty"? I define it as any right specifically granted by the Bill of Rights, but you and Benji might disagree.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Lsuoma wrote:Umm. Who really gives a shit?
I do, watching the sheer incompetence of the SJW's favorite CEO chairman Pao as she burns down Reddit is quite lulz-worthy.

She's a through and through capitalist, one of the 1%ers, her hubby is a now bankrupt, possible fraudulent NY hedge fund guy that used $7.7 million of Louisiana pension funds to finance his brother's movie project. As a CEO she is by most accounts quite shit - she have a history of treating the people employed at Reddit rather bad, and has a very poor understanding of even the basics of reddit, which could be seen when she tried to link to a private message in her inbox.

But the SJWs love her because she's banned salary negotiations and because she filed a sexual discrimination suit against her former employer, and ofc because she's a PoC woman... It's a fine example of how the SJWs identity politics let people get away with murder if they just look the right way and just rattle off some lines that signal you're part of their ideological tribe.

If you don't care about Reddit and don't mind watching it sink like Titanic, but at the same time do like to enjoy some popcorn while watching some SJW drama, it's a half decent show.

Scunner

Post by Scunner »

In regards to the Reddit thing, I'm at a loss to explain why they fired Victoria. Because the AMA went wrong? It's not the first by any stretch, and she's hardly at fault for people asking strong questions of Jesse Jackson (one of them got shadowbanned for asking him about his illegitimate child though).

Blaming Pao is a bit of a copout though, I feel. I don't like her, but the problem also seems to lie with the higher tier of admins too. They were likely the ones who fired her, and grievances with them seem to go back to long before Pao.

I agree Reddit is endangering itself though. Banning FPH isn't going to alienate a lot of people. Firing a well-respected user for no real reason? Uh oh.

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Another reddit admin posted
"Popcorn tastes good" in response to the revolt.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

The baboons sure are tying themselves in knots trying to explain how Tim Hunt got everything he deserved, but Myers awkward, grubby joke about sex in a hotel room is absolutely fine, nothing to see here!

It was a great reply by the OP I thought, but of course it's all disappeared now. I still find it fascinating to watch the cognitive dissonance at work. I know it has been said before, but can you imagine if Richard Dawkins had given the "we'll do the sex thing later" routine? It would keep them all in outrage juice for weeks( bad metaphor I know!)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Scunner wrote:In regards to the Reddit thing, I'm at a loss to explain why they fired Victoria. Because the AMA went wrong? It's not the first by any stretch, and she's hardly at fault for people asking strong questions of Jesse Jackson (one of them got shadowbanned for asking him about his illegitimate child though).

Blaming Pao is a bit of a copout though, I feel. I don't like her, but the problem also seems to lie with the higher tier of admins too. They were likely the ones who fired her, and grievances with them seem to go back to long before Pao.

I agree Reddit is endangering itself though. Banning FPH isn't going to alienate a lot of people. Firing a well-respected user for no real reason? Uh oh.

The tone is set from the top. Either by fiat or by example. In the earlier days, that crap didn't happen. Sure, if you acted like a toss-pot, you could get banned. But they didn't ban ideas. Now they ban ideas. Even though they explicitly say they're not banning ideas.

They're also shadowbanning people for asking 'tough' questions in the Ask Me Anything sub-reddit. Which is seriously fucked because the whole is to 'ask me anything.' In this case, it was a question about Jesse Jackson's illegitimate child.

And add to the irony threads discussing the shadowbannings have been deleted, too. It's become a full censorship war as Pao is trying monetize the fuck out of Reddit, something she knew nothing about when the idiots hired her.

And, of course, Brietbart (holy fuck!) is one of the few places that calls a spade a spade when they write it up:
When failed discrimination plaintiff Ellen Pao was appointed CEO of Reddit last January, many predicted that it would herald a new age of censorship on the link-sharing and discussion site. Those predictions appear to have come true, as a number of communities on the site (known as “subreddits”) have just been unilaterally shut down.

The sudden move resulted in the removal of one popular subreddit, /r/fatpeoplehate, which until its closure was the 13th-most active community on Reddit. The subreddit was dedicated to mocking fat people and the “fat acceptance” movement, although it was not known for engaging in any off-site harassment. Other Redditors have cited the subreddit as an important source of motivation to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

The crackdown came after a week of censorship on Reddit, including the mass deletions of links to media stories and even satirical cartoons concerning CEO Ellen Pao. There was also a bizarre incident in which a moderator of a gaming community demanded a user write a 500-word essay on trans acceptance before being unbanned. The user’s crime was using the word “trap”: a common, but not derogatory, term of Internet slang to describe crossdressers. Despite protestations from transwomen who said they were not offended, the moderator refused to relent.

etc...
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/06 ... ellen-pao/

Except for KiA, I think I'll be done with Reddit and am going to Voat. Hell, maybe I'll try 8Chan and see if they're a douchy as they're made out to be. But I'm done with the broader Reddit. I'm not going to be part of the Witch Hunt community that the SJWs are making it.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

To me, the worse thing about the Reddit drama is that Thunderf00t will now make another "feminism ruins everything" video, instead of something useful.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Xenu wrote:Another reddit admin posted
"Popcorn tastes good" in response to the revolt.

At least the asshole became self-aware:
Popcorn tastes good.
Edit: Honestly, I didn't understand the depth of the frustration, and I really regret this comment. I'm leaving it here as a reminder not to do it again.
This is a COMMUNITY. And some interloper is coming and destroying it. Of course people are upset. And if you're a goddamn Admin, it's your job to not act like an ass and throw gasoline on the butt-hurt.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Oh and when did Nerd have "sexual harassment training"? That's a new one, to add to the old EVIDENCE repertoire! This is the new and improved version, you know. Well, it made me laugh anyway :lol:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh, to whomever recommended the PBS series "First Peoples," thank you. I haven't watched TV in years and have become, pretty much, unaware of what's on and what's good. I'm on the third part and it's great. And it has one of my favorite Science Bloggers -- John Hawkes -- on it.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Oglebart wrote:Oh and when did Nerd have "sexual harassment training"? That's a new one, to add to the old EVIDENCE repertoire! This is the new and improved version, you know. Well, it made me laugh anyway :lol:
It was clearly very effective training. He is very good at harassing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

James Caruthers wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote: My dogs stirred up a yellowjacket nest in my back yard a few days ago and one of them got stung a few times. Wasps can go fuck themselves.
I was visiting my father a while ago, and he has a shit ton of wasps on his property. The weird thing is, those guys are tame as hell and don't bother anyone. It was really weird. They have nests all up under his eaves. Probably 5 of those nests all around. The wasps were all over and yet they didn't care about people at all.

I once had a wasp - a kind we call "meat bees" around here -- try to fly off with the tasty-looking little morsel that was my nipple. Hurt like a mother.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

'Meat Bees.' WTF?
I can't even.....

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/flqs0jO.jpg

That's Richard Carrier, PhD PwN for ya!

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/flqs0jO.jpg

Since nobody else seemed interested, I started playing the drinking game myself. Everytime Carrier manages to awkwardly work in a reference to his girlfriends during the course of normal conversation or blogging, I do a shot. My alcohol expenditures are really becoming a burden...

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tribble wrote:
Except for KiA, I think I'll be done with Reddit and am going to Voat. Hell, maybe I'll try 8Chan and see if they're a douchy as they're made out to be. But I'm done with the broader Reddit. I'm not going to be part of the Witch Hunt community that the SJWs are making it.
I only got into chan culture after GamerGate, but I like them. I don't think it's a great place for really in depth debate. Facebook and the pit are far better in that respect, as there's more time to gather your thoughts, it's easier to know who you're talking to and thus understand what statements should be taken seriously or with a pinch of salt. I hesitate to say hivemind, knowing the negative connotations of that word, but it is a place that strips people of their individuality and makes them something like competing processes in a single mind. If you believe in the free market of ideas, as I do, then that's a good thing. They smash a bunch of shit together really fast, reach a conclusion, and then act.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Karmakin wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:You might not be a racist but you are still an authoritarian, illiberal, fascistic wannabe social engineer. Your ideas can be compared to the Nazi plans to transfer Jews to Madagascar, or to the Soviet plans to transfer "problematic" populations to Siberia.

Just saying.
A rather common modus operandi, more or less, even here in the Pit. And one of some justifiable utility - except, or course, when it's directed at ourselves:
Poppycock. Shaming is, in fact, a normal, healthy social tool when used appropriately (and one you used implicitly in your post). Like any other social tool, it can be abused, especially if formalized into a legal code. It's also only (significantly) effective in small, tightly-knit social communities and breaks down in larger communities where anonymity can be (mostly) preserved.

And that is your basic Freshman-level Sociology 101 knowledge base. The Pit, btw, is exactly the kind of place where shaming is/can be an effective social tool. Even though you're trying to sabotage it while using it.

Steersman is shamed by being ignored and mocked within the community because with his idiocies, he's violating basic social norms.
Though it's utility is greatly diminshed if those it's directed at don't particularly agree with the "logic" or values underlying the criticisms - reminds me of guy I'd known in University who had changed his name to Shameless Nightingale. But I think it's important to differentiate between shaming, and banning; between the expression of free speech, and its curtailment: sticks and stones and all that.

Somewhat apropos of which, Happy Birthday Pitters. And a big round of applause and much appreciation to the Fascist Tit and to Abbie:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :romance-grouphug: :occasion-birthday: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:
Karmakin wrote:

Just saying.
A rather common modus operandi, more or less, even here in the Pit. And one of some justifiable utility - except, or course, when it's directed at ourselves:
Poppycock. Shaming is, in fact, a normal, healthy social tool when used appropriately (and one you used implicitly in your post). Like any other social tool, it can be abused, especially if formalized into a legal code. It's also only (significantly) effective in small, tightly-knit social communities and breaks down in larger communities where anonymity can be (mostly) preserved.

And that is your basic Freshman-level Sociology 101 knowledge base. The Pit, btw, is exactly the kind of place where shaming is/can be an effective social tool. Even though you're trying to sabotage it while using it.

Steersman is shamed by being ignored and mocked within the community because with his idiocies, he's violating basic social norms.
Though it's utility is greatly diminshed if those it's directed at don't particularly agree with the "logic" or values underlying the criticisms - reminds me of guy I'd known in University who had changed his name to Shameless Nightingale. But I think it's important to differentiate between shaming, and banning; between the expression of free speech, and its curtailment: sticks and stones and all that.

Somewhat apropos of which, Happy Birthday Pitters. And a big round of applause and much appreciation to the Fascist Tit and to Abbie:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :romance-grouphug: :occasion-birthday: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Are you really comparing shaming people and mocking them to forcibly expelling them from the country they live?

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Really? wrote:
windy wrote:

That's part of the point, isn't it? It's one thing to have a police force. It's another thing to welcome CC cameras everywhere you go in public. Taking off your shoes to get on a plane. Putting your shit through a metal detector to go to a baseball game.

Where's the line? We all agree that we need police forces. But are we truly free if we are asked to submit to a cavity search just to go to a baseball game?
If you think CC cameras are worrying in terms of encroachment on privacy/liberty, the newer wide-area persistent surveillance systems will give you nightmares.

Imagine a small plane fitted with an array of high-tech cameras, continuously circling above a city, taking pictures of the entire city once a second. This place advertises the ability to cover up to 25 square miles for 8 hours with a single small fixed wing airplane, and they will of course lease you the whole package including the pilot.

When a crime occurs or when an IED goes off, the cops and or military unit connects with some analyst at the ops center who pulls up the pictures zooms into the location where the incident is reported to have occurred. They can then step through the sequence of pictures, both backwards and forwards, to see what happened prior to and after (only up through the present time, or course). In the case of an IED, they would zoom into the spot where the bomb went off, scroll backwards to find the moment someone planted the thing, and then scroll forwards following the person to see where they end up going. Then someone sends in the soldiers to where ever the person is in real-time.

It started out as a military technology and is now starting to be adopted for law enforcement and some commercial uses. Seems like an amazing tool, if only there were some magical way to ensure it would only ever be used for good; absent that, this kind of capability is distressing to say the least. If this is where the tech is today, just try to imagine where it will be in 20 years or more.

RadioLab did an episode on this stuff, which is where I first heard about it.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/eye-sky/

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I liked how they slipped drone surveillance over NYC quietly into the last season of 24. None of the characters mention it. It's just being used constantly, an accepted part of life (24 skips a few years between seasons, so by the time you get the end you're a good ways into the future).

feathers

Post by feathers »

Aneris wrote:Considering people here from around the world, Fallingbostel is practically around the corner. You probably had to do with a Cockchafer, the common Maybug — the Maikäfer (now that I see it, is english “chafer” etymologically related to german “Käfer” (=beetle)? As the name suggests, they are common in may and early june but not every year (some years you don't see any, in the next you may see a kind of swarm), attributed to their lifecycle.
See Bhurzum, it was a cockchafer. You rubbed it out in the wrong place. Be more careful next time.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Service Dog wrote:I enjoyed watching feminist Cenk Uygur squirm & yelp "I'm an American!" as his co-hosts went full-SJW at the 7-minute mark...
[youtube]j5a4wtscImc[/youtube]

Yes, Cenk, it does come down to a conflict between American constitutional ideology vs. feminist ideology.
It's also interesting to watch them all pull back. Uygur, probably making a business decision, throws a bone to "rape culture" and the two women, probably making an employment decision, abandon the 'women almost never lie about rape so it's simple pragmatism to always believe the accuser' argument. Cara Santa Maria is particularly flagrant going from "if 99% of [rape accusers are telling the truth], then I'm going to err on the side of caution" at 7:25, to "you know how many false positives and false negatives there are [when prosecuting rape]" 20 seconds later. Now there's a serious, consistent mind at work! And because the woman on the left (Hannah Cranston) is such a smug, gender politics stereotype, I'll add that at the beginning of the video she completely misinterprets the "Treachery of Images" painting that Sulkowicz based her "art piece" title on.

It seems the feminist positions on Sulkowicz's "art" are either to tacitly accept that she has discredited herself as a rape accuser and throw her down the memory hole or engage in some kind of cognitive dissonance and say that it's an interesting piece that needs to be evaluated entirely independently of the rest of her story. That way they don't have to address how, on many levels, it discredits her accusation. Has it ever happened that a person who claims traumatic memories of an event takes the initiative of doing an extremely accurate reenactment of those memories and makes it public? Ah, but she says it wasn't a reenactment ("but may seem like one"). Here's her statement from the police report:
According to the report, Nungesser “hit her [Sulkowicz] across the face, choked her, and pushed her knees onto her chest and leaned on her knees to keep them up.” He then “grabbed [Sulkowicz’s] wrists and penetrated her anally.”

Sulkowicz reported to police that she told Nungesser to stop, but that he did not. She “struggled with [Nungesser] and tried to push his arms away,” according to the police report, but “[Nungesser] kept going and suddenly stopped without ejaculating.”
The video shows the same things in the same order. Oh, and the date and time on the camera correspond to the date and time of the initial event. But, no, it's not a reenactment. She clearly believes the words she utters and the reality they describe are only in the most fleeting subjective relationship with each other and mean whatever she intends them to mean at any particular point in time. She's either a sociopathic liar or an uncritical dimwit who buys '90s era PoMo philosophy whole. Or both.

feathers

Post by feathers »

mike150160 wrote:I have been made aware, by my veterinary surgeon colleagues, that a wasp sting on a dog is considered an extreme emergency, requiring a rapid response to reach the dog, treat it and bill the owner before the animal gets better on its own.
I knew an Irish Setter who, as a puppy, had tried to catch a wasp and got stung in the lip. That did not deter it, though; it had just learned to pull up your lips before snapping them directly between the teeth and nomming them.

Real service dog, that.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Karmakin wrote: <snip>

Just saying.
Though it's utility is greatly diminshed if those it's directed at don't particularly agree with the "logic" or values underlying the criticisms - reminds me of [a] guy I'd known in University who had changed his name to Shameless Nightingale. But I think it's important to differentiate between shaming, and banning; between the expression of free speech, and its curtailment: sticks and stones and all that.
Are you really comparing shaming people and mocking them to forcibly expelling them from the country they live?
Well, you did compare my ideas to those of the Nazis and the Stalinists:
You might not be a racist but you are still an authoritarian, illiberal, fascistic wannabe social engineer. Your ideas can be compared to the Nazi plans to transfer Jews to Madagascar, or to the Soviet plans to transfer "problematic" populations to Siberia.
Although I'll concede that they, the deportations and the transfers, are, generally speaking, of similar magnitudes. However (incoming qualifications!), I think you're unclear on the definition and implications of the word "compare", and on the nature of analogies: one can compare apples and aardvarks - or TAM and Nazi Germany - as comparing is essentially just a process of listing or defining all of the attributes, features, and processes the two cases, the source and the target, have in common or are the same or similar, and those that are markedly or significantly different.

In which case, yea, I am comparing - as, in effect, did Karmakin (nice name BTW) - "shaming people and expelling them from the country". Obviously there is a huge difference in the magnitude of the response, but there is a very significant and defining similarity in expressing some degree of opprobrium, in imposing some degree of social sanctions. And each of those responses - the opprobrium and the sanctions - are examples or manifestations of the process of feedback in a social context. And which underwrites Tribble's point, more or less, that that feedback can be "a normal, healthy social tool", although it can also have it's pathological manifestations as well - Pharyngula being a case in point. But society has a right, and an obligation, to protect itself and its members from the psychopaths and sociopaths among them - whether by incarceration or by deportation as the case may be.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

James Caruthers wrote:I hate to link Wiki like a Steers, but here you go.

Like at least 90% of the Pit, I've been mostly ignoring the Steers-debates for months now. So this may not apply in this particular case, but I'll just go ahead and say that I agree with Steersman in general that it is not necessary to have read source material directly in order to offer a valid critique (within a limited scope) of that material. A trusted summary, review or derivative of the original source can offer grounds for legitimate criticism, or even dismissal. Peezus' one genuine contribution to atheism/skepticism, the Courtier's Reply Fallacy, basically makes this point. I also think Wikipedia, for all its faults, is one of the better sources of trusted summaries in non-controversial fields of study.