Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: STFU about Zimmerman. Nobody else gives a crap.

Post by Hunt »

Not at all surprised by the inevitable exposure of Avi's "activities." I've been saying for about a year that things just don't add up for him. Given this confirmation, I'm pretty sure many of the things he's claimed to have done, which also stretch credulity, are actually at very least embellishments on reality. Can't figure out why an evidently smart guy didn't know that shit would hit the fan sooner or later.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I DON'T share the opinion that Brayton and Peezus can just do nothing. The guy's blog is at the head of the blog list for cripe's sake! That just ain't gonna wash.

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Hunt wrote:I DON'T share the opinion that Brayton and Peezus can just do nothing. The guy's blog is at the head of the blog list for cripe's sake! That just ain't gonna wash.
Especially as Peezus wrote a defense of Avicenna just yesterday.

Impeccable timing Peezus! You turned the fan on, just before the shit was about to hit it.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

comhcinc wrote:Please just do me a favor please no one name it "gate". Please please Please.
Avi is considering naming this himself, since it's all about him...and will call it "WATERGATE".

Because it sounded good the first time and why put something in your own words when using someone else's is easier?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Lying in bed, I came up with a great You've Been Avi'd spin-off show: Avi's Got Your Mail. It takes the same general two-quote format, but the quotes are from Avi's I Get Mail posts, in which he pretends something he found using Google was sent to him personally as an email.

So, let's kick off with a soccer-themed one (geddit?):
Soccer is running America into the ground, and there is very little anyone can do about it. Social critics have long observed that we live in a therapeutic society that treats young people as if they can do no wrong. Every kid is a winner, and nobody is ever left behind, no matter how many times they watch the ball going the other way. Whether the dumbing down of America or soccer came first is hard to say, but soccer is clearly an important means by which American energy, drive, and competitiveness is being undermined to the point of no return.
Soccer is running America into the ground, and there is very little anyone can do about it. Social critics have long observed that we live in a therapeutic society that treats young people as if they can do no wrong. Every kid is a winner, and nobody is ever left behind, no matter how many times they watch the ball going the other way. Whether the dumbing down of America or soccer came first is hard to say, but soccer is clearly an important means by which American energy, drive, and competitiveness is being undermined to the point of no return.
(Note that one of the comments, Z @ 22, calls out the suspicious origins of Avi's 'email'. The rest of the commentariat politely refuses to acknowlege this embarrassing fact).

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ing-merica
http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusiv ... ng-america

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

dogen wrote:Lying in bed, I came up with a great You've Been Avi'd spin-off show: Avi's Got Your Mail. It takes the same general two-quote format, but the quotes are from Avi's I Get Mail posts, in which he pretends something he found using Google was sent to him personally as an email.

(Note that one of the comments, Z @ 22, calls out the suspicious origins of Avi's 'email'. The rest of the commentariat politely refuses to acknowlege this embarrassing fact).

Proof that Avi is faking e-mails to himself.

Dear God, who art in heaven. I always knew you were real and that you were loving and kind ...etc. etc.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I can't wait to get back from the gym and catch up on all this. So funny.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

I keep thinking of Sean Connery's dialogue from The Untouchables. They put one of ours in the hospital (Skep Tickle), we put one of theirs in the morgue (Avi). Don't fuck with the Pit you worthless cunts.

some guy

Post by some guy »

Tigzy wrote:Peezus attempts to make a defence of Avi in his latest post. Pays much attention to one tweet which clearly wasn't meant to be taken seriously and - inevitably - makes noises that he suspects Avi's 'persecution' is down to racism. Guess Peez must be thanking the play-doh Watson idol he keeps in his basement that Avi is a PoC, cos otherwise he'd be hard pressed to rationalise away the idea that the brickbats Avi receives are solely down to him being an unhinged, disingenuous nincompoop.

http://www.freezepage.com/1420217397QKBHBKMLZG
Here's a freezepage of the thread made a moment ago:
http://www.freezepage.com/1420274358WCIFDNAWNJ
Interesting that no one has yet commented on recent revelations. (At least, no comment that survived moderation.)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
dogen wrote:Lying in bed, I came up with a great You've Been Avi'd spin-off show: Avi's Got Your Mail. It takes the same general two-quote format, but the quotes are from Avi's I Get Mail posts, in which he pretends something he found using Google was sent to him personally as an email.

Proof that Avi is faking e-mails to himself.

Dear God, who art in heaven. I always knew you were real and that you were loving and kind ...etc. etc.
Lol why would someone send him a letter about soccer anyway?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I say again, there's something very wrong with that boy. Plagiarizing text verbatim, claiming he gets "mail" that's actually from articles or forum posts not aimed at Avi in the first place. Is he actually ... mental?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I mean, that article about football (soccer) was written in 2009. He got it as a "mail" in 2014. Why? Also, it's about football (soccer) in America so why would they send it to Avi when he's living in Manchester, or India, or wherever the fuck he's currently residing? The amount of mental gymnastics ... I just can't even.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Meanwhile I found this gif of a Nokia being microwaved.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 60/f5c.gif

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I had a lovely night with the missus. We watched 12 Monkeys (the original one) and had chicken livers with flat beans.

And to make this all a perfect start for 2015, there's that Avicenna stuff. I may have to go out and buy some actual popcorn to keep it as literal as possible.

:popcorn:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

That's a coincidence. When I hear the name Avicenna I automatically think of ethics.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:Good grief. We're not going to hurt Avicienna. We love the lolz he brings. And the 'pit doesn't doxx. :(
*tire screech*

Did anyone actually expect the Pit to try and hurt Avi IRL? That would be my litmus test right there. Any fucker here tries to do IRL damage to anyone (Mykeru notwithstanding), and I'm gone.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil: you should! You really should! Actually I'm a bit under the weather right now, but I can't pass this moment up. I'll suffer for the lulz.

It's funny that Avi chose the name Avicenna as a pseudonym because of his admiration to Avicenna, evidently one of the more distinguished thinkers of the Islamic Golden Age, only to run that name into the dirt by plagiarism and bad science. How bad must he be feeling right now? Anyway. I think the popcorn's about done. Be right back.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Basically, he's doing what lazy high school kids do, although I've never heard the excuses he used. Again....why? Ophelia mostly references what she quotes, even if some of her "guest posts" seem to be a bit wonky. It's almost as if he is so insecure, so...envious?...of those who can write about a story and add their own spin or info to it, that he can't even admit where he got the info from. And so lazy that he can't even rewrite a sentence. You can't tell me that in all his education, he never got the part about quoting sources being just basic good form? Was his car ride to Kuwait several years long? Stuck in a wormhole and he was homeschooled in the car? I could see a journalist, scared of losing his or her job, doing it - but a blogger who is going to be pretty well off in a short time, if he is to be believed. His income is his blog? No wonder he's starving. Still, expect to see a Patreon in the near future.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Loose CK wrote:Avi also does small manipulations like this:

Orignal paragraph:
Aden initially told authorities that he lost control of his vehicle and that there was an accident. He later said he struck the teen because he thought he looked like a man who had threatened him several days earlier, the probable cause statement said.
Avi-matic paragraph:
Initially? Aden told authorities that he lost control of the vehicle. Later said he struck the teen because he looked like a man who had threatened him days earlier.
No mistake, just plagiarism.
I'm not sure about that. He did rewrite the sentence. It would have been better to include a link to the original news source, though, if only to give readers a way to check and see if there was other info or anything. It also is a way of ensuring that you can be trusted - if people go to the original source and see that you relayed the information correctly, that's some verification. Besides, there is only so many ways you can rewrite a sentence, and the above examples are just the laziest and easiest. I try to quote the relevant section if I can't come up with my own way of writing it, though. I am not up to current standards of what meets the criteria of plagiarism. Most of my kids (when they did write) either wrote it themselves or else just copied wholesale - most didn't take the middle ground that I see in the quoted examples above. I could also be completely wrong, but he has done enough real plagiarism that we don't need the "near-misses" (if that's what they are).

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:Good grief. We're not going to hurt Avicienna. We love the lolz he brings. And the 'pit doesn't doxx. :(
*tire screech*

Did anyone actually expect the Pit to try and hurt Avi IRL? That would be my litmus test right there. Any fucker here tries to do IRL damage to anyone (Mykeru notwithstanding), and I'm gone.
How does getting him fired from FtB rate? That appears to be a reasonable effect from this cause.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

rayshul wrote:I hope they keep Avicienna on. Partly because the bloke is top kek, and I can't wait until he saves the planet from I don't know, rape vampire Hitlers while simultaneously curing cancer, but partly because I can't see how you could do this for so long and know it was wrong. Maybe if they got him to promise to never do it again?
Maybe his next gig will be to endde hiss worddes with anachronistic and pseudo-historical language? Or write really, really....uh, good, yeah, that's the ticket!...poetry? His attempt at copying Ophelia isn't working out so good. Maybe he can have the Lightning Dome thread? Something truly unique? :whistle:

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Brive1987 wrote:Bwhahahahahahah
Too late.
Everything's a "gate". Ask SaraM.
Should it be A-Million-Gates

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote:
Loose CK wrote:Avi also does small manipulations like this:

Orignal paragraph:
Aden initially told authorities that he lost control of his vehicle and that there was an accident. He later said he struck the teen because he thought he looked like a man who had threatened him several days earlier, the probable cause statement said.
Avi-matic paragraph:
Initially? Aden told authorities that he lost control of the vehicle. Later said he struck the teen because he looked like a man who had threatened him days earlier.
No mistake, just plagiarism.
I'm not sure about that. He did rewrite the sentence. It would have been better to include a link to the original news source, though, if only to give readers a way to check and see if there was other info or anything. It also is a way of ensuring that you can be trusted - if people go to the original source and see that you relayed the information correctly, that's some verification. Besides, there is only so many ways you can rewrite a sentence, and the above examples are just the laziest and easiest. I try to quote the relevant section if I can't come up with my own way of writing it, though. I am not up to current standards of what meets the criteria of plagiarism. Most of my kids (when they did write) either wrote it themselves or else just copied wholesale - most didn't take the middle ground that I see in the quoted examples above. I could also be completely wrong, but he has done enough real plagiarism that we don't need the "near-misses" (if that's what they are).

I agree with that.

Avoid using the rewrites as examples of his plagiarism and just stick to examples that use direct theft of whole paragraphs or sentences.
We have seen before that he avoids responsibility for his wrongdoing by picking on minor criticisms that appear overly pedantic, all the while completely ignoring the main accusations.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Hot damn, I wish the pit had a "bet" function. Will PZ ignore the Avigate (Avighazi?) debacle and pretend nothing has happened? Offer a half-hearted defense of Avi and claim that covers it? Or will he chuck Avi under the bus?
Avigate is so-so.
Avighazi is good, but might be seen as racist or something.
Plagiargate? Hmmm....not that good.
Avisaplagiaristgate? A bit long. We could shorten it to APG?

My bet is he'll double down, mansplain how it isn't plagiarism and stems from misogyny and racism. I know it's the standard defense they use (well, one of them), but what is the implication - that people who think he plagiarized things assume that people other than white can only steal others ideas?

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:I have to wonder if there isn't another FtBlogger ot Skepchick frantically checking and deleting posts tonight.
You would think that anyone that has gone through, or is currently attending college would know what to do.

Hell, we all quote and mostly provide links back to the primary sources for our quotes and this is just a forum.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Ape+lust wrote:From a post titled, Clearly you are a moron if you think medicine works anything like this.:

http://imgur.com/duksKy4.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... like-this/
PZ talking to Avi....

[youtube]BNsrK6P9QvI[/youtube]

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Skep tickle wrote:From the Avicenna Journal of Medicine, "Publication Ethics and Publication Malpractice Statement"

(I kid you not)

http://www.avicennajmed.com/pubethics.asp
Fair play
Manuscripts shall be evaluated solely on their intellectual content without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, ethnic origin, citizenship, or political philosophy of the authors.
Originality and Plagiarism
Authors should ensure that submitted work is original and has not been published elsewhere in any language, and if the authors have used the work and/or words of others that this has been appropriately cited or quoted. Applicable copyright laws and conventions should be followed. Plagiarism in any form, including the touting of material contained in another paper (of the same authors or some other author) with cosmetic changes as a new paper; copying or paraphrasing substantial parts of another’s paper (without attribution), and claiming results from research conducted by others are among the numerous forms of plagiarism. In all its forms plagiarism constitutes unethical publishing behavior and is unacceptable.
Acknowledgement of Sources
Proper acknowledgment of the work of others must always be given. Authors should cite publications that have been influential in determining the nature of the reported work. Information obtained privately, as in conversation, correspondence, or discussion with third parties, must not be used or reported without explicit, written, permission from the source.
I am wondering if he had to write & publish a thesis for his degree. An old Ex of mine had to write & publish a thesis for her masters.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Hunt wrote:Not at all surprised by the inevitable exposure of Avi's "activities." I've been saying for about a year that things just don't add up for him. Given this confirmation, I'm pretty sure many of the things he's claimed to have done, which also stretch credulity, are actually at very least embellishments on reality. Can't figure out why an evidently smart guy didn't know that shit would hit the fan sooner or later.
Well if you copy & paste you way through college, you may not actually learn as well as those who do their own work.

BRB. Copy & pasting organs.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
*tire screech*

How does getting him fired from FtB rate? That appears to be a reasonable effect from this cause.
Well now, FTB is not exactly IRL, is it?

Is it?!?

Holly fucking shit!!!

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

I don't read his blog, but from what I've seen relayed here he seems to blog mainly on stuff he reads on this internet. I thought that being a doctor in India he would have a ton of great human interest stories at the village level and the effect of government and religion at the personal level. He seems to be in the midst of a group of the least privileged people on the planet and he seems to spend his time feeling sorry for himself and sitting on the internet like any other computer warrior

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:Here's what the 2 owners of FTB have had to say, on their blogs, about people caught plagiarizing:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... m-inanity/
Ed Brayton, in 2012, wrote:...Our old friend ... in his latest ... column, plagiarizes quite flagrantly from (an online source)...

...I did a ... search and look at the very first sentence ...: ...

A clear case of plagiarism. Yes, he exchanged a couple of words, but the structure and wording of the sentence is unique enough that it should be absolutely obvious that he merely cut and pasted .... This should not be remotely surprising, of course; after all, this is a man who has demonstrated rank intellectual dishonesty many times. ...
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... giarizing/
Ed Brayton, in 2013, wrote:...caught him dead to rights plagiarizing another author. ...

...copies whole paragraphs verbatim ... Two blatant examples: ...

That isn’t just an honest mistake, that’s a direct cut and paste. Another ... fraud is exposed.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... destructs/
PZ Myers, in 2014, wrote:...he has done the unforgivable: serial plagiarism, and when caught out, has apologized, but simultaneously belittled the seriousness of the offense and blamed it on a campaign by our little neo-conservative atheist cabal of Harris and Boghossian.

I agree that they are wrong about so much else, but when they’re right, they’re right, galling as it is. This is a situation that requires much more reflection and far greater amends than Werleman has given it. He has also effectively written himself out of any of the debates, internal or external, about atheism.
:shock: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Post by Guest »

[quote="comhcinc"
No no no. It's not too late. How about hinge?

Avihinge or Plagiarismhinge. I am not sure what a hinge is but I have always thought them cool.[/quote]

AviHenge, as in "he's got some fucking big stones..."

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Here's what the 2 owners of FTB have had to say, on their blogs, about people caught plagiarizing:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... m-inanity/
Ed Brayton, in 2012, wrote:...Our old friend ... in his latest ... column, plagiarizes quite flagrantly from (an online source)...

...I did a ... search and look at the very first sentence ...: ...

A clear case of plagiarism. Yes, he exchanged a couple of words, but the structure and wording of the sentence is unique enough that it should be absolutely obvious that he merely cut and pasted .... This should not be remotely surprising, of course; after all, this is a man who has demonstrated rank intellectual dishonesty many times. ...
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... giarizing/
Ed Brayton, in 2013, wrote:...caught him dead to rights plagiarizing another author. ...

...copies whole paragraphs verbatim ... Two blatant examples: ...

That isn’t just an honest mistake, that’s a direct cut and paste. Another ... fraud is exposed.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... destructs/
PZ Myers, in 2014, wrote:...he has done the unforgivable: serial plagiarism, and when caught out, has apologized, but simultaneously belittled the seriousness of the offense and blamed it on a campaign by our little neo-conservative atheist cabal of Harris and Boghossian.

I agree that they are wrong about so much else, but when they’re right, they’re right, galling as it is. This is a situation that requires much more reflection and far greater amends than Werleman has given it. He has also effectively written himself out of any of the debates, internal or external, about atheism.
:shock: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

What about 'RULE 1'?
:whistle:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I had a lovely night with the missus. We watched 12 Monkeys (the original one) and had chicken livers with flat beans.

And to make this all a perfect start for 2015, there's that Avicenna stuff. I may have to go out and buy some actual popcorn to keep it as literal as possible.

:popcorn:
I just realized, when I got home, I was hungry, so I nuked some popcorn and ate it while reading, never even thinking about how appropriate it was.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:[quote="comhcinc"
No no no. It's not too late. How about hinge?

Avihinge or Plagiarismhinge. I am not sure what a hinge is but I have always thought them cool.
AviHenge, as in "he's got some fucking big stones..."[/quote]

AviUnHinged?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I am not up to current standards of what meets the criteria of plagiarism.
It's still plagiarism, because there is no reference to the source. None whatsoever. If Avi had included a link to the original news source his edits could have been justified as a poor attempt to write a summary of the contents of the article. But this isn't the case.
I could also be completely wrong, but he has done enough real plagiarism that we don't need the "near-misses" (if that's what they are).
We need them to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that Avicenna's story about a lousy editing software and poor internet connection is false. Of course it's a very unlikely story right from the start, but these edits show that there is a clear intention to deceive the readers into believing that all the content of his article are his own.

If Avicenna were a student and pulled off the same shtick with his papers he would be expelled. PZ has shown that he at least pays lip service to the idea that plagiarism is a serious matter. He should ban Avicenna, delete his blog and apologize.

And no, this isn't a gratuitous attack on Avicenna. It's the proper procedure to deal with online plagiarists. Avi isn't the first blogger who got caught plagiarizing. Every blog worth its salt who had a serial plagiarist in his midst has followed these rules.

Avicenna would have no right to complain about the punishment. Being banned and having your blog deleted are a completely fair consequences of online plagiarism and won't affect him in real life. Ben Domenech was found out that he was stealing his pieces from all over the place and he's still writing articles, he just had to resign from his position as a blogger for the Washington Post.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I'm with Soylentatheist. A Million Gates is actually quite genius.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

My own personal original take on the situation (Avi-style)

In psychiatry, pathological lying (also called compulsive lying, pseudologia fantastica and mythomania) is a behavior of habitual or compulsive lying. A pathological liar could also be a man or woman of any age group. A person with this trait believes anything said to them is a lie because they have the tendency to be liars themselves. They mistrust people and are continually investigating everything that is said to them. This person lives in fear of being lied to. They will go to any length to prove that someone is lying to them even when the truth is obvious.

Lying is the act of both knowingly and intentionally/willfully making a false statement. Most people do so out of fear. Normal lies are defensive, and are told to avoid the consequences of truth telling. They are often white lies that spare another's feelings, reflect a pro-social attitude, and make civilized human contact possible. Pathological lying is considered a mental illness, because it takes over rational judgment and progresses into the fantasy world and back. Pathological lying can be described as a habituation of lying. It is when an individual consistently lies for no personal gain. The lies are commonly transparent and often seem rather pointless.

There are many consequences of being a pathological liar. Due to lack of trust, most pathological liars' relationships and friendships fail. If the disease continues to progress, lying could become so severe as to cause legal problems, including but not limited to fraud.

I swear, that the above text is all my original thoughts and writing. Any insinuation that I copied relevant sections of interest from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_lying is a defacto racist allegation that I fully resent. I have a magic laptop.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
What about 'RULE 1'?
?
Never bury a body in a shallow grave?
Never start a land war in Asia?
Never talk about fight club?
Never sleep in the subway?
Never gonna give you up?

(those are all mine, all original, yeppers, mine, mine mine.....)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

SoylentAtheist wrote:My own personal original take on the situation (Avi-style)

In psychiatry, pathological lying (also called compulsive lying, pseudologia fantastica and mythomania) is a behavior of habitual or compulsive lying. A pathological liar could also be a man or woman of any age group. A person with this trait believes anything said to them is a lie because they have the tendency to be liars themselves. They mistrust people and are continually investigating everything that is said to them. This person lives in fear of being lied to. They will go to any length to prove that someone is lying to them even when the truth is obvious.

Lying is the act of both knowingly and intentionally/willfully making a false statement. Most people do so out of fear. Normal lies are defensive, and are told to avoid the consequences of truth telling. They are often white lies that spare another's feelings, reflect a pro-social attitude, and make civilized human contact possible. Pathological lying is considered a mental illness, because it takes over rational judgment and progresses into the fantasy world and back. Pathological lying can be described as a habituation of lying. It is when an individual consistently lies for no personal gain. The lies are commonly transparent and often seem rather pointless.

There are many consequences of being a pathological liar. Due to lack of trust, most pathological liars' relationships and friendships fail. If the disease continues to progress, lying could become so severe as to cause legal problems, including but not limited to fraud.

I swear, that the above text is all my original thoughts and writing. Any insinuation that I copied relevant sections of interest from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_lying is a defacto racist allegation that I fully resent. I have a magic laptop.
I forget if I have said I knew someone like that in college. He really seemed to believe his own lies, though, so maybe there was more going on, or it was just an act that he was good at. Eventually we did get tired of it, although for a few years we just let him go on and pretty much disbelieved anything he said that was...unusual. We did feel sorry for his relatives, especially his parents. Not sure what happened to him - never see his name in the college alumni things.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
What about 'RULE 1'?
?
Never bury a body in a shallow grave?
Never start a land war in Asia?
Never talk about fight club?
Never sleep in the subway?
Never gonna give you up?

(those are all mine, all original, yeppers, mine, mine mine.....)
Rule 1 of FTB (and of SJW's everywhere)

'It's OK when we do it.'

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Badger3k wrote:
I forget if I have said I knew someone like that in college. He really seemed to believe his own lies, though, so maybe there was more going on, or it was just an act that he was good at. Eventually we did get tired of it, although for a few years we just let him go on and pretty much disbelieved anything he said that was...unusual. We did feel sorry for his relatives, especially his parents. Not sure what happened to him - never see his name in the college alumni things.
I knew a guy like that as well. Even after he know that everyone knew he was lying, he continued to lie. ???? Bizarre. Perhaps some kind of strange compulsion. Other than that, he was a great guy. So long as everyone around them can make the adjustment and not take it personally, it's not much of a problem. You simply don't believe anything they tell you.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

#Avicadabra? Poof, his credibility's gone.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

The most amazing thing about the patients in Avi's care is that they all seem to have near identical diagnosis as other doctor's patients one door to the right.

Avi's stories would make for an awesome book of fiction. He is the Forest Gump of the modern age. He appears at all the big story events in the same continent, and gets asked to do things he has no competency to do, and does it anyway. And he even has a magic laptop that writes for him. And he seems to "independently" think and write the same stuff as other people down to the word.

[youtube]-d-kjzBmz6I[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I've just discovered Sunny Leone. Porn will never be the same again.

Unrelated: limp wrist.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

dogen wrote:Ready for more You've Been Avi'd? This one's easier.
The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) said the nation needs deal with the growing gap between rich and poor to have any impact on high mortality rates since with the current economic crisis, the poorest are affected the most. With plans to cut child support, this is a critical issue.

Meanwhile public health policies to reduce child deaths are “piecemeal”,

Youngsters in the UK are at a higher risk of premature death than their peers in western Europe according to the Why Children Die report says.
vs.
The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) said the nation needs to get to grips with the growing gap between rich and poor to have any impact on high mortality rates.

Meanwhile public health policies to reduce child deaths are "piecemeal", according to the RCPCH's latest report.

Youngsters in the UK are at a higher risk of premature death than their peers in western Europe, the Why Children Die report says.
Did you spot the bad editing?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... in-the-uk/
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/n ... verty_gap/
That telltale comma is damning evidence that Avi consciously hides the sources of his material, to bake his readers believe he's doing the investigating.

Btw, has anyone taking the action item of giving an heads-up to each of the authors Avi has plagiarized? They should be contacted directly, not just the pubs.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

A blogger who won't own up to their errors is amusing. A medical doctor who won't own up to their own errors is terrifying.

Guest-upon-a-time

Post by Guest-upon-a-time »

O. M. G. Peezus may be able to ignore the Pit, and possibly even Nugent, but not Hemant Mehta:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... lagiarism/

:popcorn-induced-heart-attack:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tigzy wrote:
rayshul wrote:Pitchguest is going to cum buckets.
John Greg too. He's another of Avi's arch enemies.

Speaking of which, Avi claims there's some mystery as to why he went bald young: It was probably due to the same as what Superman did to Lex Luthor to make him go bald, I reckon. It would certainly fit in with Avi's somewhat remarkable series of lived experiences.
I'm not going bald by any measure of "going bald". I shave, because that's the look and feeling I dig right now. I could, of course, grow a lion's mane just to piss Avi off, but I won't. Because waking up without hair in your mouth is priceless.

And Lex was bald from the start. Watch Smallville.

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Guest-upon-a-time wrote:O. M. G. Peezus may be able to ignore the Pit, and possibly even Nugent, but not Hemant Mehta:

Avicennna is dead in the water.

Which is strange, because only yesterday Peezus (pbuh) launched a scathing attack on the very idea that Avicenna is not honest.

I haven't seen such a grasp of comic timing leading up to an accident since somebody gave the Chuckle brothers a ladder to carry.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Thanks for citing us, Hemant. :)

I actually think the first person to kick this off wasn't a pitter - it was someone on Twitter?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

SoylentAtheist wrote:A blogger who won't own up to their errors is amusing. A medical doctor who won't own up to their own errors is terrifying.
If he doesn't 'fess up and issue a complete and unequivocal mea culpa, it'll be a pretty bad sign. I don't think this should tank the man's career; however I think it's essential he makes an unconditional apology and absolute commitment to STOP RIGHT NOW AND NEVER DO IT AGAIN. I don't know how much of his other tales have embellished the true, and I don't really want to know, but if he has any brains he'll take this opportunity to make a profound shift in the way he presents himself, as in toward one of absolute truth and honesty. Nobody gets away with this shit. Not in the age of the Internet.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I just read the comments of Peezus' 'In Defense of Avicenna' post and noticed slimy turd oolon turned up to add his usual oozings to the proceedings. He mentioned that he met Avicenna and Latsot together at Peezus' talk in Hebden Bridge last year.
Imagine that, Peezus, oolon, Avicenna and latsot together in one place.
Surely some kind of critical mass must have been exceeded by this meeting - a kind of lying event horizon that sucks all moral and ethical behaviour from the surrounding environment.

Speaking of oolon, I noticed something from him the other day that referred to myself. It was an old comment from him that I found by accident when I was googling some quote involving my nym, and oolons quote from me came up.

I had made some comment on another site explaining some background to something schism-related and apparently oolon spotted it and decided to respond (this was in the days when it seemed to take oolon a matter of microseconds to comment on any article on the internet that involved the schism.)

http://blog.chron.com/sacredduty/2013/0 ... -movement/

I had not followed the thread and didn't notice his reply until recently.
Here's my comment and oolons reply:
Dick Strawkins says:
May 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm
Feminism is a diverse movement with many different branches, some of which are explicitly religious in nature.
I, like many members of the slymepit.com forum, understand that feminism can be described as “the radical notion that women are people” and as such I am happy to describe myself as a feminist. I wouldn’t, however, expect all feminists to find the atheist movement to be appropriate for them. Indeed in demographic terms the vast majority of feminists, who are drawn from all sections of society, are going to reflect the religious beliefs of society as a whole and will therefore be religious. Even within the non-religious feminists there are divisions between skeptical feminists, marxist feminists, egalitarian feminists, radical feminists and separatist feminists. Indeed the greatest conflict occurs between these competing schools of thought rather than between feminists as a whole and non-feminists in the atheist movement.

oolon says:
May 16, 2013 at 3:45 am
This is the Dick Strawkins who thinks its fine to call women “dumb cunts” when he disagrees with them. If he is a feminist then Paul Elam is Santa Claus.

Not only have I never called women who I disagree with - or anyone else for that matter "dumb cunts", there has only been one occasion when I have been in a discussion with an FTB sycophant and the insult "cunt" was used.

oolon can certainly remember it ... because he was the one who used the word against me.

oolon said:
Dick Strawkins is the stupidest cunt I've seen on this board. (Assuming you are male... Oops!
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=16200&p=1 ... how#p17805

So it's fine for him to use the insult word 'cunt' against someone.

But apparently it's also fine to just make up a lie out of whole cloth in order to poison the well against something the other person has said in a discussion.

Of course this is exactly what we have come to expect from the horde.

They see no problem with lying - because they are good people, and anything good people do is good by definition.

And anything their opponents do is bad by definition- because their opponents are bad people.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

rayshul wrote:Thanks for citing us, Hemant. :)

I actually think the first person to kick this off wasn't a pitter - it was someone on Twitter?
Twas I, a mere sideline pit toe-dipper, as @boxofbudgies

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Bloody good work mate.

:clap:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Well done!

I'd figured him to be a compulsive liar years ago but I hadn't spotted the plagiarism, so great job on that!

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

but the big kudos goes to those that took it to the next level, and especially whoever put it in front of Hemant. My jaw dropped when I read his blog 24 hours ago, because I didn't think he could possibly be that egotistical that he didn't think people wouldn't notice. It was so glaringly obvious.

tip to plagiarists - don't steal the word plebecite when you copy paste, because a 4 yr old could track down the plagiarism on google with that as bait.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Avi-lanche

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guest-upon-a-time wrote:O. M. G. Peezus may be able to ignore the Pit, and possibly even Nugent, but not Hemant Mehta:

This is an unexpected turn of events. My respect for Hemant Mehta just keeps growing. Yes now I would imagine this is more likely to be addressed.

I would say this has keep me up all night watching it, but the truth is I can get to sleep so I have been watching it all night while I have been up.