Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
DownThunder

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by DownThunder »

I tried the low carb way. I neither found it to be particularly effective at weight loss claims (didnt gain any weight either), nor detrimental in any noticeable way.

I dont shy away from carbohydrates, I just make sure to eat them in a form that packages them with fat or other nutrients, vitamins or fibre. In practice, this basically means preparing your own foods and rejecting nearly all processed food, drinking only water or tea (without sugar).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

A brief take on the 'cunt' debate.
[youtube]6xS4kHTjTNs[/youtube]

"OK, you cunts.
Let's see what you can do now."

The lines were spoken by Chloe Grace Moretz as 'hitgirl' in 'Kick-Ass', a movie written by a British woman, Jane Goldman.
It would seem curious that a word like this was used if it is universally recognized as a misogynistic slur against women.
Would it not make more sense to think that in Britain, from where the writer hails, "cunt" is NOT misogynistic and is, in fact, simply an expletive that has emotional power for historical reasons rather than misogynistic reasons (the same way the word "fuck" has power in mainstram daytime TV - you almost never hear it in that context and when you do, you are jolted - "did I just hear him/her say "fuck?")

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

DownThunder wrote:I tried the low carb way. I neither found it to be particularly effective at weight loss claims (didnt gain any weight either), nor detrimental in any noticeable way.

I dont shy away from carbohydrates, I just make sure to eat them in a form that packages them with fat or other nutrients, vitamins or fibre. In practice, this basically means preparing your own foods and rejecting nearly all processed food, drinking only water or tea (without sugar).
I think that you need to already be pre diabetic for it to real have any effect.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm finishing listening to Reap and Mykeru's podcast. Pretty solid stuff so far.

I was wondering if it would be possible to organize a multi-participants discussion for a future podcast. The Pyt's ladies have to be heard too. Any volunteers?

Post by Guest »

Jan Steen wrote:The A-plussers keep exposing new kinds of privilege:

http://i.imgur.com/FhcGe.jpg

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 473#p39473

How long before these Social Justice Warriors accuse somebody of being privileged for not being privileged?
For all their self-satisfied smugness with which they used to ridicule posts by creationists for being "poe(s)", it's ironic that that entire thread (/forum) is the same, just on the other end of the spectrum.
Flewellyn wrote:Informally, I find "folks" works fine.

If you wish to be formal, how about "My fellow hunams"?
You can't make this shit up.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm finishing listening to Reap and Mykeru's podcast. Pretty solid stuff so far.

I was wondering if it would be possible to organize a multi-participants discussion for a future podcast. The Pyt's ladies have to be heard too. Any volunteers?
It could be easily done as a google hangout.

franc

Post by franc »

Dick Strawkins wrote:A brief take on the 'cunt' debate.

"OK, you cunts.
Let's see what you can do now."

The lines were spoken by Chloe Grace Moretz as 'hitgirl' in 'Kick-Ass', a movie written by a British woman, Jane Goldman.
It would seem curious that a word like this was used if it is universally recognized as a misogynistic slur against women.
Would it not make more sense to think that in Britain, from where the writer hails, "cunt" is NOT misogynistic and is, in fact, simply an expletive that has emotional power for historical reasons rather than misogynistic reasons (the same way the word "fuck" has power in mainstram daytime TV - you almost never hear it in that context and when you do, you are jolted - "did I just hear him/her say "fuck?")
I think it was a deliberate semantic bomb precisely to fuck with morons like the Prune and the beached whale. Notoriety to kickstart DVD and netflix sales. But you're right - she was probably chuckling about how easily Merkins can be made to void their bowels over trivia at the time.

James Onen

Post by James Onen »

Excellent podcast Reap.

Mykeru, you were awesome.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

More, non-misogynistic use of "cunt".
[youtube]_3reLyBB6ms[/youtube]

Seriously now, anybody who thinks cunt is a universally misogynistic term is being willfully ignorant.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oh fuck, that last part or Reap's podcast with the PZ edit was fucking hillarious. And I'm not ashamed to say it!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

James Onen wrote:
Excellent podcast Reap.

I listened last night. It was very good.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Over at Justin's blog, wankstain Oolon suggests Stefunny got in contact with Justin to "discuss" the petition. Justin replies that was not the case.

Where is the deluded Oolon getting his misinformation. The Baboon Narrative Department is at work again!
I suppose I wouldn't expect you to understand that when someone add a '?' to the end of a sentence it is meant as a question...? [question to you]

I thought I saw either her or Ophelia say in a comment they had directly contacted him... Hence I *asked*...

BTW thanks for your canned response to Phil G on that thread, shows how much thought you put into your 'Standard responses to perceived Baboon stupidity #1,2 or 3' ... Very funny.

franc

Post by franc »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Over at Justin's blog, wankstain Oolon suggests Stefunny got in contact with Justin to "discuss" the petition. Justin replies that was not the case.

Where is the deluded Oolon getting his misinformation. The Baboon Narrative Department is at work again!
I suppose I wouldn't expect you to understand that when someone add a '?' to the end of a sentence it is meant as a question...? [question to you]

I thought I saw either her or Ophelia say in a comment they had directly contacted him... Hence I *asked*...
Then why didn't you go and search for the comment before injecting irrelevant sophist disinformation to derail the discussion?

Oh that's right... because you're Oolon, the noxious little vandal that still finds pockets of people that might take him seriously. In other words, you knew it was a bullshit statement, but you just thought you'd inject it anyway because there might be readers unfamiliar with your well poisoning.

You're a liar and a slimy turd. The default, and really the only safe, position to take with anything you say is that it is bullshit, probably deliberate, and probably with some slimy motive attached.

franc

Post by franc »

I mean really, just look at the pernicious Oolon droppings left at CLS's place as a typical example -

http://coffeelovingskeptic.com/?p=1897#comment-5246

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Stephanie Zvan responds to a blog post of mine

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... u-no-quit/

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

TheMan wrote: When I wrote that just before logging off the PC at work I thought on the way home I should have clarified that a bit more as I was imagining that remark with anal sex in mind.

I was imagining an arse through hole in curtain type test and being "anal sex" curious and being an arse man in general. The aesthetics of the arse comes into play more than body odour and other markers or what lurks out front. AND if it came down to the question of "would you hetro boy fuck this arse hole". Cold and clinical I know.

Fleshed it out more with my partner when I got home. I tend to think anal sex is straight sex too...though my current partner is the only person I had the guts and maturity to bring it up with and she hates it. So I shall remain curious and non experienced. Though... There was a time I was certain I lost a shampoo bottle top
Yeah. That could have definitely used some elaboration. Especially since the situation you have in mind is a far cry from what's going down on the ground. The men in question are not choosing pre-op trans women/cross-dressing men/"third gender" folk in some genital-blind manner. Let's see here...
I was imagining an arse through hole in curtain type test and being "anal sex" curious and being an arse man in general. [...] AND if it came down to the question of "would you hetro boy fuck this arse hole[?]"
My answer would be no. A disembodied butt hole wouldn't do anything for me. I know this because I don't believe even a disembodied vagina would do it for me. I've been in situations that have pretty much proven that it takes a little more than just that for me. I think each individual's sexual frustration/interest in anal sex will dictate their answer, but that's mine...
I tend to think anal sex is straight sex too...
Of course. Homosexuality isn't about any specific sex act, it's about who you are attracted to and performing these sex acts with. [While some will say that receiving a blow job/hand job from a dude doesn't make the man on the receiving end gay, I argue that it would at the least fall under situational homosexuality.]

Altair

Post by Altair »

AndrewV69 wrote: Oh well, that's that then. Stupid menz always going to think they are superior to women no matter what.
As Christine L. Williams has also observed, "doing masculinity" permits men in female-dominated work situations "to maintain a sense of themselves as different from and better than women —thus contributing to the gender system that divides men from women in a way that privileges men" (Williams, World 123).
Thanks for the links, I will read them when I´m out of the office.

I found this quote weird, though, what the hell does "doing masculinity" mean? If it means doing things with a male slant or male pov, then anything a man does is "doing masculinity" and anything a woman does is "doing femininity", I guess. (If this is answered in the article, I apologize, I just feel like making conversation before reading it).

I would say that "maintaining a sense of themselves as different from women" is healthy for a man (of course the opposite is healthy for women as well). The fact that we all deserve the same opportunities, rights and responsibilities does not mean we are all exactly the same.

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

franc wrote:I mean really, just look at the pernicious Oolon droppings left at CLS's place as a typical example -

http://coffeelovingskeptic.com/?p=1897#comment-5246
A person who posted a comment to his detractors explaining how he likes a good prostitute enabled hate wank sermonising about the quality of my comments and how they reflect on my personality... Nice one, keep pushing that knife into the socket franc, you'll work it out eventually :doh:

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

astrokid.nj wrote:Jean Kazez of 'Honestly, I cannot say that I feel the problem of sexism against men looms large... Next thing we'll be finding out that rich people are terribly mistreated too' fame says:
The problem with the sexists in atheist-land is that they cannot imagine that they have their own biases and blindspots. We're super-smart skeptics, right?
yeah.. stupid bitch knows all.. she has overcome her own biases and blindspots.
Sexists in Atheist-Land
Kazez_Poor_Becky.jpg
Whoah there one second. Tyler Clementi, for those - like me - who didn't know is a guy who killed himself in 2010 after his roommate spied on him with a webcam and posted the footage online. What has that clear invasion of privacy got to do with Watson being criticised for her public statements and behaviour? Is Kazez really claiming that Watson is a suicide risk? Or that she should be immune from criticism on those grounds? More victimhood points for Becky-boos! I wonder how Clementi's family feel about having his personal tragedy hijacked in this cause?

Oh, and I don't get the comparison to Dawkins either. Is Kazez saying that he gets threats and abuse too? We all know that he does. Probably a lot more than Rebecca "Who?" Watson. The key differences being that Dawkins has done, and continues to do, a huge amount of useful work in the promotion of rational and sceptical thinking, while Watson (how to put it?) hasn't. And Dawkins meets his critics with reasoned argument not whining and abuse.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

JackRayner wrote:
I was imagining an arse through hole in curtain type test and being "anal sex" curious and being an arse man in general. [...] AND if it came down to the question of "would you hetro boy fuck this arse hole[?]"
My answer would be no. A disembodied butt hole wouldn't do anything for me. I know this because I don't believe even a disembodied vagina would do it for me. I've been in situations that have pretty much proven that it takes a little more than just that for me.
Dammit! Now that the fact that I don't see women as walking fuck-holes is out of the bag, I'm gonna have my membership to The He-Man Woman Hater's club revoked! :doh:

Altair

Post by Altair »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Altair wrote:
Desperately Seeking Male Child Care Workers
http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 54311.html
Germany is spending loads of money to recruit male child care workers, launching expensive employment campaigns to attract more men into the profession. Many parents want their children to be educated by both men and women, but low wages mean efforts have met with little success so far.
Okay, after saying I wouldn't, I had to read the Spiegel article.
All I have to say is "Awesome, Go Germany!" :clap: This is what true equality for all looks like.

Of course, judging by this comment in the article's forum, there's no way to make the fembots happy. If you don't focus on women and women's problems and women's gaps and women's issues, you're doing it wrong, I guess.
Nick1980 at spiegel's forum wrote: The content of this article is really problematic. First, men and women are not biological constructs but social roles. For example, a single male with two children can take over the role of both a man and a woman. The Bundesregierung, however, emphasizes sex (Y Chromosome) over gender. But what is the point? Is it really that important to have someone with a penis or is it important to educate children in such a way that both girls and boys are equally successful in society? Although girls are doing better in school and women have shown higher intellectual performances in international tests than men, women are hardly found in manager positions and they rarely get a professorship. Isn't it important to avoid the pink stereotype in girls? Boys can be adventurous and they can talk back and do anything. They can "beatbox," object to requirements and they can enjoy a dominant role in society.
The real problem is also emphasized in the article itself: Women who need a degree to work in childcare only earn up to 2200 Euro and no one cared about this until males without degrees are suddenly "needed." Now they think that 2200 Euros are not enough.
It is clear that the Bundesregierung wastes money on the wrong end without addressing gender inequality. Especially in Germany women still earn significantly less for the same jobs men are doing and girls are told that it is important to be quiet and lovely. While gender inequality needs to be addressed in German society, it is important to start with the problem of the lack of women in leading positions. It is also important to look at the intersectionality between gender and other identities.
Finally, I do not think it is a good idea to employ people without the educational training (only based on the Y Chromosome or a penis). The children will be impressed by the "beat boxing" for a few days only...Anyway, the children should be the center of attention and not a one day performer who worked in a bank...

franc

Post by franc »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:A person who posted a comment to his detractors explaining how he likes a good prostitute enabled hate wank sermonising about the quality of my comments and how they reflect on my personality... Nice one, keep pushing that knife into the socket franc, you'll work it out eventually :doh:
In order to shame, you need to pick something of which your target is ashamed. You are proving three things here -

1) You don't read any of the things you choose to criticise, let alone know what context or sentiments are expressed
2) You belie your puritanical sex/fear baboon board roots. How churchy - expressing consensual adult activities in terms of "hate" because you have no ability to think of it otherwise. You should consider getting yourself a hooker some time - this kind of accusatory knife play is indicative of a virgin or someone who only gets some at crassmass and thanksgiving, and then it's probably horrible and unsatisfying.
3) How easy baboons are to bait. Amazing. Subnormal children. Can't deal with any kind of grownup talk or chain yanking gutter humour at all. Whoosh, straight over their heads.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

justinvacula wrote:Stephanie Zvan responds to a blog post of mine

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... u-no-quit/
If Stephanie could actually tell the difference between criticism, disagreement, sarcasm etc to abuse, I'm sure she'd be much better off

Still, we Slyme Pitters have to be seen as evil and abusive or she would not have anything to blog about.

I've always associated verbal abuse with the whole threatening part of it - ie "I'm going to insert a dead porcupine...."etc etc something that indicates that you want to do physical harm but are attempting to use words for the time being to scare the living crap out of the victim

So when we make jokes, dismiss what we consider nonsense, make fun of that nonsense, disagree and just downright swear about it that apparently is considered threatening?

Stephanie - if you are reading this, I wish no harm to come to you - I completely disagree with pretty much everything you say and remain unconvinced that you know what you are talking about - but the day I start threatening you and mean it is a day you can alert the authorities in England to come and track me down

The way I see it is how I see my supposed threats to all the religious people I've ever told that Jesus never existed - my intention is to put across that I don't think Jesus existed in any form at all - but the response has pretty much always been "Gaaahhh you evil atheist, you want to hurt baby Jesus!"

If I saw evidence of Justin actually threatening you, I'd be on him like a ton of bricks (Quake in fear Mr, I drink Tea you know!!) but so far, all I've seen from him is that he disagrees with you and thinks you are being nonsensical which is a completely different thing altogether!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

James Onen wrote:
Excellent podcast Reap.

Reap's a really conversational podcaster. You can sense a hesitancy at first, because he's also an evil bastard, as are we all. I can't believe we did 1:40 of all that happy horseshit, less some overt edits in which, as you may have guessed, we 1. Had a detailed exegesis on the relationship between Ophelia Benson and the word "cunt" and why she makes necessary superlatives in relation to cunt-speak, such as "cunt, cunter, cuntest" and 2. The time Reap got in an elevator with Peezus, which involves Crisco and is not suitable for family listening.

Lofo DeBaere wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
cunt wrote:Lots of guests. Whats going on?
It is bloody busy at the moment. Maybe one of the lurkers can post as a guest and enlighten us?
Hi, lurker here.

My quest for entertainment, perhaps a little knowledge, the enjoyment of drama mixed with some lulz is the reason I'm here.

A video uploaded by a youtube fella named Justicar the other day is what finally made me search out this place through curiosity. The Slyme Pit was mentioned in the title, and it's not the only time I've heard or read about this place in the last month or two. I Thought I'd come and see what was shaking.

The back-story is that I was watching some video or other on youtube several weeks back, and from clicking a chain of related links ended up on one of Justicar's pieces to camera. From then on, I've loosely been following the same chain on and off, and have discovered blogs and youtube channels regarding scepticism, critical thinking, science and atheism. In doing so, I came across the whole Atheism+ mob, ftb, some men's rights activists, feminists and allsorts of other stuff. I see some people posting on here that I've recently stumbled upon too, these being Justin Vacula, Mykeru and Al Stefanelli so take a bow people, you're famous.

That's my overly-detailed story, don't know why any other fucker is lurking. I've been entertained by my recent voyages through cyberspace with regards to all this gubbins so keep up the good work and carry on dancing for me as I jump back into delurk mode and watch from the sidelines.

Cheers
I'm currently and temporarily "semi-famous on the internet". Al is famous for his vehemently racist hats. Justin actually does things.

I'm not saying Al Stefanelli doesn't do things too but right now the rough measure of one's efficacy in the atheist and skeptical community is how hard the Freethought Flying Monkeys go after you, and in that, Justin rates. Just what a bunch of hypocritical lying-assed psychopaths like Stephanie Svan-dive are in going after him as a "misogynist" can't be repeated enough.

Karma's a bitch and when the dust settles, there will be so much on the internet nailing them for their evil shit, that these douchebags of personal destruction couldn't get a gig in a breeding farm jerking off bulls.

Altair

Post by Altair »

BarnOwl wrote:http://www.wunderground.com/blog/angela ... ntrynum=30

Holy fucken shit!! Batten down the hatches and stay safe, people on the US East Coast!
Do we have any pitters in Sandy's path? I saw on TV is getting near New York and Washington, good luck and stay safe if you're around that area.

Altair

Post by Altair »

franc wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Let loose the crazy cat ladies and their lovers of psuedo-war! http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... attention/

Oh, and CUNT! (don't want to be left out)
Crazy Cunt Lady: I’ll stop there. That’s enough. This Lucy Wainwright is unpleasant and callous and sloppy in her reasoning.
Doesn't even understand parallel logic either...

Amazing. Either genuine senile dementia is setting in, or Pruney is the Queen of all Trolls and will reveal herself finally some day soon.
She just hates the fact that someone other than her and her friends is getting any attention. I've only read a couple blog posts and tweets by Wainwright but she doesn't sound that unpleasant to me.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Guest wrote:
For all their self-satisfied smugness with which they used to ridicule posts by creationists for being "poe(s)", it's ironic that that entire thread (/forum) is the same, just on the other end of the spectrum.
Flewellyn wrote:Informally, I find "folks" works fine.

If you wish to be formal, how about "My fellow hunams"?
You can't make this shit up.
What the...?

That shortens my personal odds on Flewellyn as the A+ poe.

Couch

Post by Couch »

James Onen wrote:
Excellent podcast Reap.

+1, Just This, OMG you read my MIND!

Reap

Post by Reap »

Reap

Post by Reap »

Couch wrote:
James Onen wrote:
Excellent podcast Reap.

+1, Just This, OMG you read my MIND!
Thanks everybody glad you liked it...I just hope PZ works things out

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

That's it, I give up. You utter bastards type too quickly for me. A couple of weeks ago I went without visiting the Pit (or any Internet-based location) for a few days). Since then I've been trying to catch back up, not wanting to miss some juicy titbit. I am now twenty-four pages behind. So: I give up. You've worn me down, people! I'll have to settle for reading the last page or so and go from there, compulsive tendencies be damned. Maybe you really are as evil as They say…

(I guess what I'm saying is… have I missed anything good?)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:More, non-misogynistic use of "cunt".
[youtube]
Seriously now, anybody who thinks cunt is a universally misogynistic term is being willfully ignorant.
More great movie cunt moments:

Glengarry Glen Ross:
[youtube]rW7WlT6OJxE[/youtube]

Bronson:
[youtube]VtkR3Oni1rY[/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:

BTW thanks for your canned response to Phil G on that thread, shows how much thought you put into your 'Standard responses to perceived Baboon stupidity #1,2 or 3' ... Very funny.
C'mon Oolong, we both know you are simpy pushing the Baboon Narrative. Lie, half-truth, lie, half-truth... Anyway, we all know Opheliar and Black Svan would be running the risk of becoming "witches of the week" if they "discussed" things with Justin. You know how this blacklisting shit works.

Altair

Post by Altair »

I wonder if Rebecca ever saw the movie "Devil". I'm sure she'd pee herself out of sheer terror.

http://bit.ly/TPCTaT

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Altair wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:"Trapped in lifts - 10 of your stories"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20033471

I wonder if Rebecca ever saw the movie "Devil". I'm sure she'd pee herself out of sheer terror.
Reminds me of a hotel review parody (?) I saw posted on a site blueharmony linked the other day.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jAkvxI6cc-Y/T ... eview3.jpg

Altair

Post by Altair »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Altair wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:"Trapped in lifts - 10 of your stories"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20033471

Reminds me of a hotel review parody (?) I saw posted on a site blueharmony linked the other day.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jAkvxI6cc-Y/T ... eview3.jpg
That's awesome :dance:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

That's the thing with Rebecca Watson, lifts, and Baboons. They are a never-ending source of comedy and parody.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I notice Opheliar's supporters are echoing the "vacuous shitbag troll" line from Canuck. You'll remember that Canuck issued that put-down after Justin correctly challenged Canuck on his homophobic comments.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Just a quick note to call attention to an “experiment” I've been running:

viewtopic.php?t=180

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2512

I am genuinely interested in hearing and writing about what attracts participants to each forum, although it seems I've already been locked out over on A+. Alas!

Still hoping to hear from you guys, though.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Uh-Oh - watch it, Justin! http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-137333
SallyDeranged wrote:Justin lives about an hour away from where I live.
I'd recommend stocking up on the garlic and crucifixes, JV.
I admit, it has made me wary about attending regional atheist meetups.
Vacula the Vampire Slayer. You know, it could almost be a Robert Rodgriguez movie.
I’ve met a few local atheists, and they were pretty cool, but then we haven’t had much chance to discuss the whole Woman Thing that the atheist community is dealing with right now.
Oh come, come now, Nosferata. You don't mean 'discuss' at all, do you. You actually mean 'heed me upon the whole Woman Thing', do you not?
I’ve been very involved with local elections and haven’t had much time for atheist gatherings lately. After the election I plan to attend more and find out what I can find out.
You can be involved with national elections too, o undead one. Not just local ones. Also, loads of local groups and communities hold elections for various things. You could be involved with them, too. Really, don't give up on being involved with elections. It could make a nice and absorbing hobby - and lord knows, you need one, Sal.

Oh, and the sick wench of doom (Zvan) has probably let slip that she peruses the Slymepit too:
Making up stuff about my sex life is abuse.
Steff, if you're reading this right now: how about a review of Greg's book? Or maybe even a flattering puff, like what he did for you with your short story that was published in Nature?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

d4m10n wrote:Just a quick note to call attention to an “experiment” I've been running:

viewtopic.php?t=180

I am genuinely interested in hearing and writing about what attracts participants to each forum, although it seems I've already been locked out over on A+. Alas!

Your experiment has not gone down well over at A+. Quelle surprise.

:lol:

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

It never ceases to amaze. Just simply asking what it is about the forum that attracts people to post there has got you accused of being "privileged", "willing to devalue other human beings" and an official wanring for "pointless and obvious trolling". Not to mention demanding an apology. They really have lost the ability to look at things rationally.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anybody know how well Greg's book is selling?

:violin:

LMU

Post by LMU »

I saw that d4m10n. I might write a reply for your thread here later. It's amusing that they accused you of trolling and then locked your thread at the A+ forum because you were the only person in that thread *not* trolling. Every other post in that thread was either trolling or derailing and they accused *you* of not being constructive. If the thread had been by an accepted member of that forum and/or used language [extremely] deferential to A+, then it would have been fine.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anybody know how well Greg's book is selling?

:violin:
Greg did tweet about a review of his book - I clicked on the link, but AVG put up an 'unsafe script' thing on the page and blocked it. I now have some faint hope that the review did something nasty to his computer. :lol:

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Altair wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:http://www.wunderground.com/blog/angela ... ntrynum=30

Holy fucken shit!! Batten down the hatches and stay safe, people on the US East Coast!
Do we have any pitters in Sandy's path? I saw on TV is getting near New York and Washington, good luck and stay safe if you're around that area.
http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy

It will hopefully be quite a bit tamer by the time it glances us in Ottawa. The folks in NYC are already getting hit.

http://gizmodo.com/5955575/hurricane-sa ... ating-live

cunt

Post by cunt »

How's the hunt going Oolon?

http://i.imgur.com/xNVAN.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

[quote="Tigzy"

Oh, and the sick wench of doom (Zvan) has probably let slip that she peruses the Slymepit too:
Making up stuff about my sex life is abuse.
[/quote]

No Steffy.....No it's not. What do you have against dictionaries that you must twist the definitions of words to the point of nonsense?
You are so hell bent on being a victim! I can imagine you grinning merrily away while somebody kicked you right in the twat.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Quote fail.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

cunt wrote:How's the hunt going Oolon?

Oolon, you are so dumb. You are really dumb, for real.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

d4m10n wrote:Just a quick note to call attention to an “experiment” I've been running:

viewtopic.php?t=180

That was an insightful experiment. You asked what they like about the A+ forum. They dogpiled you and accused you of trolling. You have your answer right there.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Michael K Gray wrote:Utakata says:
Blah blah...
People of hate
Oh fuck.
You all know how those cowardly creepy, oh so PC, namby-pamby, up-yer-jacksie, brie-eating, weasel-fucking-word'o'philes, who reflexively say "people of color" annoy the living crap out of me?
Now they have "Doubled-Down" on their language perfidy, and concocted another perfectly monstrous jingoistic abortion:
"People of Hate"!!
I mean to say, these fuckwits cannot be fully human, surely?
The phrase 'people of color'* has always grated on me a bit. I recall an article in the The Guardian where an American writer complained that she hated being called a 'colored person', then in the next paragraph referred to herself as a 'person of color'. My reaction was: "Hold on, you're a writer and you don't understand that that is just a clumsier way of saying the same thing?"

The only justification I've ever heard is that it's about 'putting the person first'. To which I respond: "You obviously don't understand English grammar." Unlike, say, Latin, word order matters in English. For an English phrase to be comprehensible, you have to arrange the words in particular ways. You modify the noun with an adjective placed before it.

Before it in sequence that is, not before it in status. That's where confusion has been introduced. Putting 'colored' before 'person' doesn't mean 'colored' is more important than 'person' it is, I repeat, the way the language works. If you really don't like 'colored person', try 'person'. I've never defined myself by an ethnic category unless compelled to on a form or suchlike.

*Merkin spelling because it's a Merkin issue. In the UK, in my experience, Black people are 'Black'. You get the occasional official use of 'Afro-Caribbean, but it's not how real people talk.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:How's the hunt going Oolon?

Seems pretty shady. Didn't a first time poster drop Oolon's personal details here a while back? And wasn't that first time poster generally told to "fuck off with that shit" by the regulars? Now why would Oolon be bothering to check out who Mykeru.com is registered with? More to the point why does he think Mykeru is being paranoid for using an anonymous registration service?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Is he pretty paranoid, or does he just not want his real name made public, "Oolon"?

cunt

Post by cunt »

I can't think why he would want to get his hands on that information.. Mykeru, you'd better move apartments just in case. Get in contact with the police as well. At least change your locks. This slimy turd character seems pretty stalkerish.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Is oolon trying to dox mykeru? Seriously? After complaining so much about JV? I remember that someone wrote a post compromising oolon's pseudonymity (doxxing imo), and that was wrong, but it is just as wrong for oolon to try to do that to others.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Slimy Turd post detailing why Oolon wasn't trying to find out Mykeru's personal details AT ALL and how we have all got the wrong end of the stick in 5....4....3...2...