Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Skep tickle »

Just to mix it up a bit, let's add some testosterone:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RoQ1dfXPymk/T ... umwebG.jpg

Couch

Post by Couch »

StyxMaker wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Kate Bush just used to scare the shit out of me.

In a similar vein, I was too young to appreciate Sally James from Tiswas. I can appreciate her now, though. And fully understand why she so frequently had buckets of water thrown over her:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lKL9DLKmCpI/S ... _james.jpg
It was Anette on the original Mickey Mouse Club show for me. Yeah, I'm old.
I once rubbed one out as a 13-year old sitting on the lounge with a blanket draped over my lap, ogling Barbara Eden, the titular Jeannie, I dream thereof.

It is very hard for me to type the following words: There was another family member in the room practicing piano. Eeeeew. I still remember just managing to check my barely pubescent privilege into a handful of hastily snatched paper napkins.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael J wrote:
Steersman wrote: ....
I think you’re missing the point. The question isn’t which side is right – using the “argumentum ad populum”, but which side is the most popular. And a definition of popular is “widely liked or appreciated” by which the numbers quoted proves the point: Jen’s “new idea” was in fact “well received” by the majority [approx 2000/2300 (population of A+/(pop A+ plus pop SlymePit)].

Although I'll concede that those numbers - 2000 & 2300 - are only a small sample and anything but random. But that was, I expect, the reason for Oolon's "dodgy" ….
Delurking to make a comment. Isn't it a false dichotomy to compare A+ to here. Shouldn't they compare A+ to the total population that reads the various Atheist blogs? I once did a back of the envelope calculation for PZ site a few years ago and I think that his readership was much larger than 2000.

So I think that 2000 is a good number but how many members does JREF have?
Good questions, although I don’t think it qualifies as a false dichotomy as I doubt that Oolon was trying to argue that the AtheismPlus and SlymePit forums encompass all who might have an opinion on the former.

Although it is of course a moot question as to what percentage of those having an opinion are actually members of those forums. But I would think it might be a fairly representative sample. However the statistics for the urban dictionary definitions might at least tip the balance in the direction opposite to that suggested by those membership numbers.

Interesting question though ….

[Time to call it a day ….]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Pinker wrote:
It's good to see that The_Laughing_Coyote's insanity hasn't gone unnoticed. A member like that will poison a forum more than any troll ever will.
100% true. Pure fucking rage in every single comment no matter the subject.
New member made a politically incorrect faux pas? Tears of righteous fury and piles of invective.
Genuine troll attempting to illicit a response? Tears of righteous fury and piles of invective.
Not only is it destructive it's fucking boring too. There is only so many times you can read "CHECK YOUR FUCKING PRIVILEGE YOU ASSHOLE. THIS IS A FUCKING SAFE SPACE AND WE DON'T FUCKING NEED SOME ASSHOLE COMING HERE AND MANSPLAINING TO US ABOUT X,Y,Z". before you end up tuning it out the instant you see the posters name.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'd like to propose a gaming thread in which we can only post a response if we explain how the previous person had privilege and needs to check it.
Steersman wrote:Considering that more than a few people here have touted any number of aspects of The Pit in contradistinction to FTB/A+, that characterization doesn’t seem all that much of a stretch. Although I’ll agree he was somewhat out-to-lunch with his “Especially given this place has been going for years …”: while he’s partially wrong in the sense that the SlymePit, as hosted by phpBB, has only been about for about 4 months, he’s correct in the sense that the Slime Pit, as a thread on Science Blogs, has probably been going for several years. However, I wonder whether you called WBB and Dick Strawkins and mordacious “lying sacks of shit” for their transgressions ….
I was pretty fucking pregnant when I posted on the first thread on ERV and now I have a 1 year old. Unless there's time travel involved the Slimepit hasn't been going for years. The split happened at Elevatorgate.

The 'pit is not an alternative and never has been. People point out the contradictions here because they want to point out some element of hypocrisy or contrast - for example people may say, "I made a mistake, I withdraw my opinion..." and then say that this would not be something you'd see often on FtB. That doesn't mean it's "the alternative". The 'pit is never going to be the alternative and I more commonly see participants on here on other blogs recommending people read histories on Pharwrongula rather than visiting the 'pit. Given all our bills are paid by the magnanimous Lsuoma there is no reason for the 'pit to be promoted.

The people who most actively promote the 'pit are FtB themselves, and most people who are new here normally talk like someone exiting a cult they didn't even know they'd entered. Really, we're more like a support and information group. :)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Regarding the numbers question and the comparison of the slymepit with Atheismplus, I think it's worth remembering the different reasons behind both messageboards.
Atheismplus is meant to be the main site for a 'movement' designed to promote social justice from an atheist perspective (or, depending on how you see it, sideline and exclude those atheists who are not in the correct political camp.)

The slymepit, on the other hand is more of an information resource, collating the instances of embarrassing hypocrisy perpetrated by the FTB hierarchy and thus limiting the effect of their self promoting dishonesty.
In fact the slymepit need have only one member to be of use.
People do not need to be members here, they just need to read it - and I'm pretty sure we have many more readers than official members.

http://i.imgur.com/gYCJU.jpg
Just out of curiousity, particularly since I can’t see the details from Russell Blackford’s Twitter log, do you think he was referring to my earlier post on the topic? As I certainly didn’t say that Massimo Pigliucci coined the phrase:
While I think there’s maybe some justification – “chairperson” and the like, I also think that much of it is so many “just-so” stories and pseudoscience – “nonsense on stilts” as the philosopher Massimo Pigliucci put it in a book of the same name.
Although if that is the case then it’s nice to know that he thinks that I seem “otherwise like a reasonable person” …. :-)

But generally I agree with your other points: part of the difficulty in determining whether the membership numbers and opinions constitute a reasonable and representative sample of all those holding opinions on AtheismPlus ....

franc

Post by franc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:It's good to see that The_Laughing_Coyote's insanity hasn't gone unnoticed. A member like that will poison a forum more than any troll ever will.
NO!

I believe if you search the archives, you'll find this moron was one of the noisier participants in Retard Roll Call. He's certainly pissed the walls at my place, until I collated all their comments in one easy to read post and they slunk away.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Skep tickle wrote:Just to mix it up a bit, let's add some testosterone:
http://www.joecrazy.com/wp-content/uplo ... chens.jpeg

:)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Ooohhh...I can see how he might have misread it, Steersman. I feel like that could be the reference, too. Although Russell if you're lurking you could always come in and explain what you were referring to.

I know it's filthy in here but there's always anonymous posting.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/gYCJU.jpg
Steersman wrote: it’s nice to know that he thinks that I seem “otherwise like a reasonable person” …. :-)
I guess he can't be right all the time! :D

As for rayshul's suggestion that Russell post here anonymously, doesn't he do that already?

I've always assumed he was 'franc'
(well, if Ophelia is going to hate him, she might as well have a decent reason!) :D

(Then again he could be Michael K Grey - disguising himself with that unnaturally vehement utter hatred of philosophy!) ;)

franc

Post by franc »

rayshul wrote:Ooohhh...I can see how he might have misread it, Steersman. I feel like that could be the reference, too. Although Russell if you're lurking you could always come in and explain what you were referring to.

I know it's filthy in here but there's always anonymous posting.
I'm pretty much sure Blackford, like Kazez, is one of these loathsome creatures known as "centrists" in political speak. One's who's convictions vary, depending on the immediate environment. Kazez has shown herself clearly to want to play and exploit both sides. Blackford OTOH, while not that bad, has not provided any clear evidence that he doesn't.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote: ....
Steersman wrote:Considering that more than a few people here have touted any number of aspects of The Pit in contradistinction to FTB/A+, that characterization doesn’t seem all that much of a stretch. Although I’ll agree he was somewhat out-to-lunch with his “Especially given this place has been going for years …”: while he’s partially wrong in the sense that the SlymePit, as hosted by phpBB, has only been about for about 4 months, he’s correct in the sense that the Slime Pit, as a thread on Science Blogs, has probably been going for several years. However, I wonder whether you called WBB and Dick Strawkins and mordacious “lying sacks of shit” for their transgressions ….
I was pretty fucking pregnant when I posted on the first thread on ERV and now I have a 1 year old. Unless there's time travel involved the Slimepit hasn't been going for years. The split happened at Elevatorgate.
You’re right: from Scented Nectar’s archive I see the first post for the Periodic Table of Swearing was November 26, 2011. Although I don’t think it a crucial point and certainly not one that several have used to rake Oolon over the coals ….
The 'pit is not an alternative and never has been. People point out the contradictions here because they want to point out some element of hypocrisy or contrast - for example people may say, "I made a mistake, I withdraw my opinion..." and then say that this would not be something you'd see often on FtB. That doesn't mean it's "the alternative".
Beg to differ on that. For those of us who have been banned or have found the level of invective or hypocrisy intolerable on FTB I would say that the SlymePit qualifies as a very credible alternative. Where else could people voice opinions so critical of FTB if not here? Where else could discussions take place that lead to the collating of those cases of hypocrisy if not here? [Thanks to Abbie/Lsuoma]
The people who most actively promote the 'pit are FtB themselves, and most people who are new here normally talk like someone exiting a cult they didn't even know they'd entered. Really, we're more like a support and information group. :-)
Yes, quite agree about the promoting – somewhat amusing to see references and links on other blogs to various statements made here – and it is not just the FtB doing that. And likewise about the “support and information group” – but an alternative doesn’t have to be of the same type ….

[Gotta call it a day; night all ….]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Regarding numbers: could it be a factor that posting at the Pyt will get you vilified in more than one place, just for the fact of posting here? Would discourage some people, I'm sure.

Which brings me to: Rayshul, I don't think it would be a good idea for Russell to post here (not anonymously). He got lot's of crap from the usual suspects last year for disagreeing and posting at ERV. As far as I know, Myers still hasn't appologized for calling him a liar (more precisely: "this is a blatant lie"). Still, it's nice to know Russell is lurking a bit. Hi Russell!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:Just to mix it up a bit, let's add some testosterone:

I think QRG (Quiet Riot Girl) Has better examples of "metrosexy" if you are into it.

https://quietgirlriot.wordpress.com/category/metrosexy/

For example :

https://quietgirlriot.files.wordpress.c ... .jpg?w=614

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/gYCJU.jpg
Steersman wrote: it’s nice to know that he thinks that I seem “otherwise like a reasonable person” …. :-)
I guess he can't be right all the time! :D
Swung and missed big time there, didn't he? :-)
I've always assumed he was 'franc'
(well, if Ophelia is going to hate him, she might as well have a decent reason!) :D
That will definitely add another log to the fire ...
(Then again he could be Michael K Gray - disguising himself with that unnaturally vehement utter hatred of philosophy!) ;)
Clever people, these Chinese ... inscrutable ...

[I'm late, I'm late; night!, night!, night! ...]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote: You’re right: from Scented Nectar’s archive I see the first post for the Periodic Table of Swearing was November 26, 2011. Although I don’t think it a crucial point and certainly not one that several have used to rake Oolon over the coals ….
It actually started back in july 2011, and it was my first point of contention with Oolon's post.

Beg to differ on that. For those of us who have been banned or have found the level of invective or hypocrisy intolerable on FTB I would say that the SlymePit qualifies as a very credible alternative. Where else could people voice opinions so critical of FTB if not here? Where else could discussions take place that lead to the collating of those cases of hypocrisy if not here? [Thanks to Abbie/Lsuoma]
There are probably hundred other places where you can post with this attitude, not just the Pyt (AtBC, The Friendly Atheist...etc). We don't have the monopole of rational discourse, thus we are not the alternative. An alternative, maybe.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Steersman wrote:
The 'pit is not an alternative and never has been. People point out the contradictions here because they want to point out some element of hypocrisy or contrast - for example people may say, "I made a mistake, I withdraw my opinion..." and then say that this would not be something you'd see often on FtB. That doesn't mean it's "the alternative".
Agree with Phil there. It's somewhere you can talk but as Phil points out it's not the only place. I'd consider a credible place as being anywhere where you can talk to atheists/people interested in atheism. The closest to a true alternative are the other blog networks at atheist-patheos, salientsight and skeptic ink.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Which brings me to: Rayshul, I don't think it would be a good idea for Russell to post here (not anonymously). He got lot's of crap from the usual suspects last year for disagreeing and posting at ERV. As far as I know, Myers still hasn't appologized for calling him a liar (more precisely: "this is a blatant lie"). Still, it's nice to know Russell is lurking a bit. Hi Russell!
Yeah it's always safer to be anonymous, and that really goes out to everyone watching.

windy

Post by windy »

rayshul wrote:I'm whoring about William Shetterly's blog at the moment because fuck, he's brilliant.
Yeah, the post about William Sanders was also fascinating, I don't remember if you already linked to it before?

I'm kind of surprised he bought the martyr act of the "Stop the Goodreads Bullies"-twits though, but no one's perfect...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote: You’re right: from Scented Nectar’s archive I see the first post for the Periodic Table of Swearing was November 26, 2011. Although I don’t think it a crucial point and certainly not one that several have used to rake Oolon over the coals ….
It actually started back in july 2011, and it was my first point of contention with Oolon's post.

There are probably hundred other places where you can post with this attitude, not just the Pyt (AtBC, The Friendly Atheist...etc). We don't have the monopole of rational discourse, thus we are not the alternative. An alternative, maybe.
There is one difference - the Slymepit is immune from the sort of dogpiling blackmail to which many big name atheists are susceptible.
Just look at Hemant at 'The Friendly Atheist' and all the trouble he received, via Marcotte/Skepchicks, from his early post on Elevatorgate.
Look at Justin Griffiths at FTB. Look at Daniel Fincke and his attempt to prevent personal insults on his blog.
How many FTB supporters turn up here to argue - it's just oolon, isn't it?
Why is that?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Aww man so much misandry in this thread. Im being so dehumanised with all these pictures of tight & tanned chiselled buns. As the official masculinitist spokesmyn Id like to remind all the women that are totes thinking about me when they are looking at pictures of hunky male models, that men are not here for your titillation.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Which brings me to: Rayshul, I don't think it would be a good idea for Russell to post here (not anonymously). He got lot's of crap from the usual suspects last year for disagreeing and posting at ERV. As far as I know, Myers still hasn't appologized for calling him a liar (more precisely: "this is a blatant lie"). Still, it's nice to know Russell is lurking a bit. Hi Russell!
Yeah it's always safer to be anonymous, and that really goes out to everyone watching.
Yes. Some of us have posted non-anonymously since the beginning at ERV (MKG, JCW, Rystefn, myself...) and some since the new Pyt (Al, Reap, Justin...). I do know the identities of a few pseudos posting here, and we interact elsewhere. If someone who may get dammage from posting under their real name uses a pseudo, no problem, if they want people they know here to be aware of who they are, there's always PMs. I'm quite sure that with all the talks about outing and doxxing we've had, their secret would be safe.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
There is one difference - the Slymepit is immune from the sort of dogpiling blackmail to which many big name atheists are susceptible.
Just look at Hemant at 'The Friendly Atheist' and all the trouble he received, via Marcotte/Skepchicks, from his early post on Elevatorgate.
Look at Justin Griffiths at FTB. Look at Daniel Fincke and his attempt to prevent personal insults on his blog.
Why is that?
Oh, I agree. The Pyt itself is immune to that shit. The Pytters, maybe not so much. To be honest, I wouldn't like to see Russell or Paula or any other "big names" post here as themselves to show their support. It would probably not end well. I remember when the format at Nat Geo changed, one of Abbie's "big" friends was outed for some reason. I pointed it out privately and they were back to anon. You never know how far those crazies can go to ruin someone's life. As for my own? As the great philosopher MC Hammer said: Can't touch this.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I just read that Paul Kurtz has died.
Although he went a bit nutty towards the end he did a lot of good for the skeptical community in his life.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

cunt wrote:
rayshul wrote: Also interesting to read another CALLING OUT incident which has some similarities to what's happened to others:

http://sjwar.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/soc ... lazip.html
Zathlazip... Actually her boss didn't give two shits about what a bunch of mouth-breathing feminists thought. She just panicked, understandably, and deleted the thread after it was gold-mined. It was a very very funny thread.

Looks like the OP got saved. http://shii.org/knows/WisCon,_the_Femin ... _self-hate

You will be shocked, SHOCKED! to find out who was right there, leading the online harrassment campaign against the blogger for that post.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... con-abuse/

I'm trying to figure out which one she is, in the original pictures! :popcorn:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

omfg you're kidding.

That woman is toxic.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:You’re right: from Scented Nectar’s archive I see the first post for the Periodic Table of Swearing was November 26, 2011. Although I don’t think it a crucial point and certainly not one that several have used to rake Oolon over the coals ….
You need to go to the archive's main page. There were 5 other Slimepit threads before that one. It really did start around ElevatorGate.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

rayshul wrote:omfg you're kidding.

That woman is toxic.
Once I saw that the story involved

1. Feminist science fiction..........check!

2. Located in Wisconsin (right beside Minnesota)......check!

and

3. A vicious campaign of threats and job targeting......check!.....check!.....check!.....check!.....check!.....check!.....check!.....check!

I knew she must be involved.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
cunt wrote:
rayshul wrote: Also interesting to read another CALLING OUT incident which has some similarities to what's happened to others:

http://sjwar.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/soc ... lazip.html
Zathlazip... Actually her boss didn't give two shits about what a bunch of mouth-breathing feminists thought. She just panicked, understandably, and deleted the thread after it was gold-mined. It was a very very funny thread.

Looks like the OP got saved. http://shii.org/knows/WisCon,_the_Femin ... _self-hate

You will be shocked, SHOCKED! to find out who was right there, leading the online harrassment campaign against the blogger for that post.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... con-abuse/

I'm trying to figure out which one she is, in the original pictures! :popcorn:

Aaargh!

I think I've found her.

I think she's the partially obscured fatty sex panelist wearing green.

I guess Ben plays the part of the foam wedge!

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Re: numbers A+ versus slymepit
just speaking for myself, I cant say as I had ever heard the slymepit promoted - So far as I can recall, I only became aware of it from it being mentioned by its foe.

Re: other forums critical of A+ - yeah JREF you might expect to have members instinctively critical of the movement, however SGU has a thread which is very similar. It started with SGU members being willing to sign up and give it a go and has now more or less come to an end with the consensus they are are bunch of crazies.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

franc wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:With all this masturbating over Sally James and Pan's People, I'm pretty sure that the Slymepit is surrounded by an angry mob of baboons preparing to burn it to the ground.
Personally I was more of a Janet Ellis wanker.
If it raises Baboollie Blood Pressure, I'm all for it. Fuck 'em.

And though I was too young for The Avengers with Diana Rigg, I found her Emma Peel (M Appeal, geddit?) to be the epitome of teh sexy when I got older. From "A Touch of Brimstone":

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4tby ... o1_500.jpg
Snake picture chosen for Phil's benefit...
There's only one Elvira -

http://snarkerati.com/galleries/index.p ... ion=resize
Are you certain that there's only one?

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 2a3f/l.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Are you certain that there's only one?

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 2a3f/l.jpg[/quote]

Motherfucker Lawless kicked all bands out of the backstages while he was at the festival where we played together. Fucking diva!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Quotefail, again. Mine is only the last line.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Dick Strawkins wrote:There is one difference - the Slymepit is immune from the sort of dogpiling blackmail to which many big name atheists are susceptible.
Why is that?
Hmmm... do they really go outside their own protected bubble that much to dogpile and harass people? My impression is that they mostly keep all of the smearing and campaigning on their own home turf, where they hold the banhammer and can control the narrative to fit the story they are trying to pitch. From what I've seen, the FC is the ones getting dogpiled whenever they venture outside of their blogs, outside of their FTB bubble, their support is more or less zero, so they very seldom do it.

Ophelia commenting on Al's blog for example, she got ripped a new one, and quickly ran back to her own home turf where no one no longer could argue against her, since the banhammer beats any argument.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

if anyone missed The Atheist Experience last night - very funny moment about 1hr 23 mins in

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

acathode wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:There is one difference - the Slymepit is immune from the sort of dogpiling blackmail to which many big name atheists are susceptible.
Why is that?
Hmmm... do they really go outside their own protected bubble that much to dogpile and harass people? My impression is that they mostly keep all of the smearing and campaigning on their own home turf, where they hold the banhammer and can control the narrative to fit the story they are trying to pitch. From what I've seen, the FC is the ones getting dogpiled whenever they venture outside of their blogs, outside of their FTB bubble, their support is more or less zero, so they very seldom do it.

Ophelia commenting on Al's blog for example, she got ripped a new one, and quickly ran back to her own home turf where no one no longer could argue against her, since the banhammer beats any argument.
They can't win the argument within the thread itself, but that is not their primary weapon. Their main offensive tactic is to write posts calling opponents misogynists - and simply allowing someone from the slymepit to post on your comment section (never mind commenting here yourself) can be enough to deem one beyond redemption.
They aren't really trying to win the big names over to their argument, they are creating a cost for entering the discussion with an independent mind, so that the big name doesn't raise their voice in the first place because they realize that they will face the same hostility as people like Paula Kirby or Russell Blackford did.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Yes. Some of us have posted non-anonymously since the beginning at ERV (MKG, JCW, Rystefn, myself...) and some since the new Pyt (Al, Reap, Justin...). I do know the identities of a few pseudos posting here, and we interact elsewhere. If someone who may get dammage from posting under their real name uses a pseudo, no problem, if they want people they know here to be aware of who they are, there's always PMs. I'm quite sure that with all the talks about outing and doxxing we've had, their secret would be safe.
I've been using KiwiInOz since I first started commenting on blogs, because having a nym seemed to be the thing to do. I guess that it has become my web persona and I can't see any reason to change it.

Mind you, I would be into self promotion and use my name to if, for example, I just happened to be a Rock Star, or something.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

KiwiInOz wrote:
I've been using KiwiInOz since I first started commenting on blogs, because having a nym seemed to be the thing to do. I guess that it has become my web persona and I can't see any reason to change it.

Mind you, I would be into self promotion and use my name to if, for example, I just happened to be a Rock Star, or something.
Now, now. I'm not using my name for self-promotion (although I do indulge in some at times). I use my real name because I feel I have to be accountable for what I say. Shure, it can have nefarious ramifications (Justin Vacula), but at least I'm out of the sphere of influence these people have. So all's well and dandy for me.

Dick right above: again, mostly my point.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

"Shure"?!? Where did that come from? I meant "sure"

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

PZ has banned the "poe";
I’m hereby declaring the term “poe” to be anathema here. Don’t use it anymore. We don’t need denial, we need a confrontation with an ugly reality. I’ll probably start leaving rude remarks when I spot people throwing the term around in the comments from now on.
Not the actual poeing is banned, just noticing it. Because otherwise you might not notice it
if your schtick can’t be distinguished from the real thing
Actual poeing you can do as long as it's bleedin' obvious, because it's all just bad satire anyway. But "dignifying" such failed Voltaires as "poes" just get in the way of the valiant opposing of idiocy. To the Batmobile Robin! We're off to confront Ugly Reality!

All implied criticism of the FCs via poeing is, of course, equivalent to the
Bat-buggering bullshit
put out by Limbaugh et al.

Anyway, it's probably just a poe.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

PZ is doing a series on "bad arguments" he heard at the Texas Freethought Convention and feels that this is the worst one of all.

In a debate over abortion between the Dill (pro) and a Kristine Kruszelnicki (anti, and doomed to be KK from here on), the Dill goes first and says (roughly) "it's about a womans right to choose, not whether or not the foetus is a person". KK charges on and says, no the foetus is a person etc and (the bit that annoys PZ) "science says so - so I'm right". PZ comments that the debate was a walkover for the Dill who
would spend the next hour and a half directly refuting the relevance of her case. It was a humiliating rout.
(My bolding).

As it turns out, KK was unable (according to PZ's account) to produce any actual science papers to support her claims about "science", even after the debate and from the sound of it, produced some pretty lame reasons for her views.

Leaving that aside though, PZ calls her argument bad (the "worst", even) because it was not relevant to what the Dill had said. So remember that junior debaters, whoever goes first gets to decide what everyone else has to talk about, or you lose. More than that, the Dill was arguing from the basis of whatever his version of women's rights is, but the opposition was (at least trying, if failing) to argue on the basis of science, rather than moral philosophy. What would have happened if KK had been able to pull out a shitload of scientific papers in support of her views, would PZ have changed his position? Or would he prefer to remain anti-science?

So it wasn't that the argument was bad, it was that KK did a crap job of putting it (in PZ books*) and there was a lack of evidence. Or does that no longer count when the "good guy" has to win?

*snicker, snicker

acathode

Post by acathode »

Dick Strawkins wrote:They can't win the argument within the thread itself, but that is not their primary weapon. Their main offensive tactic is to write posts calling opponents misogynists - and simply allowing someone from the slymepit to post on your comment section (never mind commenting here yourself) can be enough to deem one beyond redemption.
They aren't really trying to win the big names over to their argument, they are creating a cost for entering the discussion with an independent mind, so that the big name doesn't raise their voice in the first place because they realize that they will face the same hostility as people like Paula Kirby or Russell Blackford did.
Yes, I'm aware that their methods are very McCarthyistic, based mostly on screaming over everyone else and guilt by association, trying to create an atmosphere where people rather stay silent and safe than voice their disagreement and face the lynchmob.

I fail to see how the slymepit differs from other sites though? In what way do you mean the slymepit is immune?

Dave

Post by Dave »

BarnOwl wrote:Any thoughts on why Austin is OK and why it's not really part of Texas?
Whether deserved or not, outside of Texas, Austin has a reputation amoung some as a liberal holdout in the middle of the ignorant, republican-voting, wimmen-hating, immigrant-shooting, science-denying rest of Texas. A little blue dot in the middle of a red sea as it were. I would think thats what PeeZus was referring to.

Dave

Post by Dave »

ReneeHendricks wrote:He meant well? Please. He rides the fence for the LOLs and nothing else. He's a floater in the toilet of life.
I had assumed he was enjoying the feel of the pickets up his ass.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dave wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Any thoughts on why Austin is OK and why it's not really part of Texas?
Whether deserved or not, outside of Texas, Austin has a reputation amoung some as a liberal holdout in the middle of the ignorant, republican-voting, wimmen-hating, immigrant-shooting, science-denying rest of Texas. A little blue dot in the middle of a red sea as it were. I would think thats what PeeZus was referring to.
They do have the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, which redeems them a bit.

welch

Post by welch »

LOTS OF SNIPPING, because it's starting to wander in the weeds. Let's look at this in a more basic way. According to oolon, you have two groups, group A and group B.

Group A has a message they are sending
Group B is saying that message is not being particularly well-received.

Oolon is saying that based solely on the membership numbers of Group A over Group B, that because Group A has more members, Group B's point isn't really valid.

He's not basing this on anything else. Not on reactions to Group A's message, or any other criteria. Just on membership numbers. Because Group A has more people, aka, is more popular, then Group B's assertion is incorrect.

I really cannot see how that is anything but arguing from popularity.
===
Changing gears here, just out of curiousity, or as a point of reference, are you John C.?
yep.

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:Aww man so much misandry in this thread. Im being so dehumanised with all these pictures of tight & tanned chiselled buns. As the official masculinitist spokesmyn Id like to remind all the women that are totes thinking about me when they are looking at pictures of hunky male models, that men are not here for your titillation.
Wait, wait now. Some of the men here are FINE with women objectifying them. In fact, we quite heartily encourage it. (not that it ever happens, but just in case, it's totes okey-dokey.)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

acathode wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:They can't win the argument within the thread itself, but that is not their primary weapon. Their main offensive tactic is to write posts calling opponents misogynists - and simply allowing someone from the slymepit to post on your comment section (never mind commenting here yourself) can be enough to deem one beyond redemption.
Yes, I'm aware that their methods are very McCarthyistic, based mostly on screaming over everyone else and guilt by association, trying to create an atmosphere where people rather stay silent and safe than voice their disagreement and face the lynchmob.

I fail to see how the slymepit differs from other sites though? In what way do you mean the slymepit is immune?
I wouldn't say the slymepit is unique - I'm sure there are plenty of other venues where you could be just as vehemently outspoken but those venues would probably share a few things about their organization with here. Namely they will not be messageboards run by people who are vunerable to false claims of misogeny.
Anyone interested in getting on the skeptic speaker circuit, for example.

welch

Post by welch »

acathode wrote:
Why is that?

If they think they can win painlessly? Sure they will. Guarantee (side note: the ONLY way I can spell "Guarantee" correctly is to remember that the first three letters should NOT spell part of the alpha designation for the 30mm cannon on the A-10) that then only reason Laden was so willing to stalk Abbie is because it never occurred to him that he'd get outed. In fact, one of his biggest complaints about the whole thing is that his name was given to her, that his weasely little attack wasn't allowed to remain anonymous. That constitution's a bitch sometimes. Had Abbie not been a grad student, and therefore, in Laden's eyes, "vulnerable", he'd have not done a fucking thing. Same thing with Svan et al.

The irony in those asshats using the same tactics they decried when used by Bill Donohue against PeeZus over the cracker thing is not small.

What they are, simply, are cowards. If they think they can cow you into "behaving", if they think they can bully you into silence, they will. If you aren't an easy target, then they'll leave you right the fuck alone.

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Now, now. I'm not using my name for self-promotion (although I do indulge in some at times). I use my real name because I feel I have to be accountable for what I say. Shure, it can have nefarious ramifications (Justin Vacula), but at least I'm out of the sphere of influence these people have. So all's well and dandy for me.

Dick right above: again, mostly my point.
A long time ago, I went by "Bynkii", (Old D&D character name), because if you tried to go by 'john', even then, you got stuck with john2034987. Fuck that shit. As that problem went away, i used my name. Fuckit, if I'm going to say it, I should own it, even if it has inconvenient consequences.

The "C." is not, contrary to FTBTard belief, some kind of pretentious thing. The USAF was VERY into FirstName MiddleInitial LastName as How You Always Write Your Name. Said practice having been drilled into me, it's just how I write my name. It turns out to help, as thanks to that idiotic "jack is short for john" (HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK) thing, without the "C.", if I told people to google for networking articles I've written, they got lost in the "Jack Welch, former CEO of GE" hits, which are not small. The MI helps avoid that.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Doormat Dickacunty's face when that guy mentions "Reality+".

:D

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Btw, is Rebecca Watson related to Sasha Wiley?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

welch wrote:Guarantee (side note: the ONLY way I can spell "Guarantee" correctly is to remember that the first three letters should NOT spell part of the alpha designation for the 30mm cannon on the A-10) that then only reason Laden was so willing to stalk Abbie is because it never occurred to him that he'd get outed. In fact, one of his biggest complaints about the whole thing is that his name was given to her, that his weasely little attack wasn't allowed to remain anonymous. That constitution's a bitch sometimes. Had Abbie not been a grad student, and therefore, in Laden's eyes, "vulnerable", he'd have not done a fucking thing. Same thing with Svan et al.

The irony in those asshats using the same tactics they decried when used by Bill Donohue against PeeZus over the cracker thing is not small.

What they are, simply, are cowards. If they think they can cow you into "behaving", if they think they can bully you into silence, they will. If you aren't an easy target, then they'll leave you right the fuck alone.
Actually, the funny part is no one told me anything (other than administrative concern that they got a email from an obvious nutbar about me). Laden and Svan outed themselves, in painstaking detail. I just knew how to get them to do that (weak minded fools, Jedi mind tricks, yadda yada yada).

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Doormat Dickacunty's face when that guy mentions "Reality+".

Hilarious. He is so fucking embarrased by A+, just look at his body language when the guy mentions it! He looked like somebody just caught him with his finger in the dogs arse! And the crowd in the background laughing their heads off at him. What a mong.

Fuck Ustream though. It was like listening to a scratched CD. The buffering is terrible.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Fuck Ustream though. It was like listening to a scratched CD. The buffering is terrible.
i suspect that particular section, where he is objecting to a deist tacking on extra meaning to "reality", may appear on youtube soon enough

acathode

Post by acathode »

welch wrote:What they are, simply, are cowards. If they think they can cow you into "behaving", if they think they can bully you into silence, they will. If you aren't an easy target, then they'll leave you right the fuck alone.
No arguing on this point from me, I concede that when they think they can get away with it (or when they forget, like Ophelia did when she posted on Al's blog), they will step outside their own home turf... but it's not that often it happens anymore, is it? Their attacks these days, against for example Vacula, is done either from their site or in one-way communications like the petitions.
welch wrote:Oolon is saying that based solely on the membership numbers of Group A over Group B, that because Group A has more members, Group B's point isn't really valid.
Even if you agree with this kind of logic, the argument still fails, since A+´doesn't have more people. Taking a look at the A+ forums, while they have a lot of inactive accounts, the activity on their forums is almost completely made up by around 10-15 members, which is not all that different from the slymepit.

A+ is dead as a movement, it was pretty damn dead after just the first week, due to Carrier's CHUD post, the twitter poe-ing them so badly they didn't know friend from foe, Jen quitting, and so on, but after Dillahunty-gate, they've lost basically all their support. The public figures like Myers and Watson, that sat in the background, waiting and hoping that the A+ movement would kick off so that they could waltz in and get some of the glory (and more speaking gigs) by appearing as long-time supporters and even co-founders, are now quietly stepping back, trying to distance themselves from what is obviously a sinking ship.
A+ is all alone now, the only thing that could save them is if they actually became a grass-root movement, but seeing how they revel in dogpiling any newcomer who dares show support or ask a question... they are fucked. They'll continue being a forum with 10 or so regular posters with maybe 30-40 hangarounds, and quietly dwindle down until it's 3-5 or so guys keeping the asylum going.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the sheer amount of comedy these people generated, I would simply skip any post about them, since they have so little to do with FTB or atheism/skepticism to do.
Dick Strawkins wrote:I wouldn't say the slymepit is unique - I'm sure there are plenty of other venues where you could be just as vehemently outspoken but those venues would probably share a few things about their organization with here. Namely they will not be messageboards run by people who are vunerable to false claims of misogeny.
Anyone interested in getting on the skeptic speaker circuit, for example.
Ok, well, from my PoV, it just comes down to this:

Do you officially disagreed with FC, SkepChic, or any other sacred person, or questioned any the sacred dogma, or do you freely associate with people who do?
If yes*, then you are fair game, by any means available they will try to silence you and prevent you from getting any sort of influence in the community or any organization.

On which site you actually committed this heresy on is completely irrelevant, if they think they can get away with lying, slandering, or smearing you to a point where you lose this influence, or at least stfu, then they'll do it. The slymepit only sticks out, because this is where the tar is the blackest and sticks the best, as soon as you dip your toe in the slymepit, you become persona non grata.

* Even if no, sometimes, if you're just an easy enough target, Myers and friends might just launch an attack on you for the sheer buzz the powertrip gives them, and for the added ad-revenue the resulting e-drama.

franc

Post by franc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Btw, is Rebecca Watson related to Sasha Wiley?
No, it's -

http://i.imgur.com/zqxPd.png

acathode

Post by acathode »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Doormat Dickacunty's face when that guy mentions "Reality+".

Hilarious. He is so fucking embarrased by A+, just look at his body language when the guy mentions it! He looked like somebody just caught him with his finger in the dogs arse! And the crowd in the background laughing their heads off at him. What a mong.

Fuck Ustream though. It was like listening to a scratched CD. The buffering is terrible.
Where is this video? Sounds like something I'd like to see.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

mutleyeng wrote:if anyone missed The Atheist Experience last night - very funny moment about 1hr 23 mins in
Linky to Doormat.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

BTW, Matt looks so much better with that mask on.