Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
BarnOwl

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by BarnOwl »

another lurker wrote:
You're an owl. You are genetically superior.

Speaking of which, if you had a pet owl, would you knit cute sweaters for it:P
If the owl had need for a sweater, like one of those sad neurotic parrots that pulls its own feathers out, of course I'd knit sweaters for it. :D Periodically there are requests on Ravelry to knit sweaters for rescued battery hens or oiled seabirds or such. I should knit some more blankets and pads for shelter dogs and cats, come to think of it.

If you've ever seen the stuff that vultures and caracaras eat and stomp around in on a regular basis, there must be something extraordinary about their avian immune systems.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BarnOwl wrote:
another lurker wrote:
You're an owl. You are genetically superior.

Speaking of which, if you had a pet owl, would you knit cute sweaters for it:P
If the owl had need for a sweater, like one of those sad neurotic parrots that pulls its own feathers out, of course I'd knit sweaters for it. :D Periodically there are requests on Ravelry to knit sweaters for rescued battery hens or oiled seabirds or such. I should knit some more blankets and pads for shelter dogs and cats, come to think of it.

If you've ever seen the stuff that vultures and caracaras eat and stomp around in on a regular basis, there must be something extraordinary about their avian immune systems.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ ... cfe34c.jpg

I put a sweater on my kitty once, but she couldn't deal with it. She sat in place, trembling nervously as if she was under attack. Kittehs r dorks!

Slither

Post by Slither »

Lsuoma wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:How To Make a Social Justice Warrior, by Will Shetterly
It's slightly different than the last draft, but not in any major ways, I think. Currently, it's at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. It should make its way elsewhere soon. Only $2.99 US—cheap! Or you can throw a guy a little love with the donation button at the side.
Bought for my Kindle. Thanks for the pointer.
I bought this too. So far it is quite good. Educational, and sad -- it is amazing how much damage SJWs do to good people.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

JackSkeptic wrote:Has anyone got PTSD from posting here?
Not from posting, but from viewing - when I run across photos of tarantula-filled toilets and so forth. Guys, don't do that! :naughty:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

JackSkeptic wrote: PS: I am practicing how to suck up, it works wonders in the world of SJW's and it may be a useful skill one day.
Lick under the head.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

SkepticalCat wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Has anyone got PTSD from posting here?
Not from posting, but from viewing - when I run across photos of tarantula-filled toilets and so forth. Guys, don't do that! :naughty:
[youtube]DX_rgHHWwv8[/youtube]

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Mykeru wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote: PS: I am practicing how to suck up, it works wonders in the world of SJW's and it may be a useful skill one day.
Lick under the head.
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4927978496/h54837DD3/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

[youtube]W3TtS1wkb7M[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Hey, sorry about the tarantula song.

Here's some antidote:

(Trust me)

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Fuck you Mykeru I am not clicking that I am not!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and:

[youtube]-OeStUuUsy8[/youtube]

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Lsuoma wrote:Oh, and:

[youtube]-OeStUuUsy8[/youtube]
I frothed.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

zenbabe wrote:Fuck you Mykeru I am not clicking that I am not!
You will. And you will thank me.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

I want to trust you but I'm scared!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

zenbabe wrote:I want to trust you but I'm scared!
What's the worst that can happen after the Fascist Titâ„¢ posted "Cocktopede"?

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Mykeru wrote:
TRAUMA WOE AND MAYHEM!
Also I have no time.
maddashtowork

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

another lurker wrote:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ ... cfe34c.jpg

I put a sweater on my kitty once, but she couldn't deal with it. She sat in place, trembling nervously as if she was under attack. Kittehs r dorks!
I saw a pattern on Ravelry for a yarn lion's mane that you can tie around your kitty's head. I thought it needed to be paired with a pattern for an absorbent bandage, to staunch the bleeding after the cat rips your face off in retaliation.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

From the cat's perspective, which is worse: pompom hats, or fake lion mane?

http://www.catster.com/molz/knit-hat-fo ... bitchknits

Trigger warning: novelty yarn.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mykeru wrote:
Well, I think it is horribly out of character for you, Mykers!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

zenbabe wrote:Fuck you Mykeru I am not clicking that I am not!
Welp, I did. You can trust him (just this once).
This is how i eat my veggies

The European ground squirrel (Spermophilus citellus), also known as the European souslik
We call it "popândău" around here :)

See more at

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In light of recent events I just thought I would drop this off here. The article is titled To See What Ukraine's Future May be, Just Look at Lviv's Shameful Past
Appearances are deceptive because, though the buildings in Lviv have survived, the same cannot be said for most of its inhabitants. In 1939, the majority of the people in Lviv were Poles and Jews, with Ukrainians making up less than one fifth of the population. But the Jews were murdered and the Poles forced by Stalin to resettle in eastern parts of Germany ceded to Poland. Only the Ukrainians remained.

I thought about Lviv again last week when I saw a sentence in a newspaper referring to it as “a bastion of Ukrainian nationalism”.

I wondered just how much the writer knew about Ukrainian nationalists in Lviv and the strong evidence that, in 1941, they had played a leading role in one of the horror stories of the Second World War.
The article concludes:
Lviv presents itself as a beautiful city reflecting a culturally diverse past. In reality, it is a monument to ethnic cleansing and the appalling willingness of long-time neighbours to murder each other, as I saw earlier this year in Homs and Damascus – something those who want to heat up the conflict over Ukraine and Crimea’s future should keep in mind.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Southern wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:tl/dr

Start at 1812. Just when, exactly, wasn't the West trying to contain and constrain Russia?
Wasn't Russia BFF with France in 1914? In fact, wasn't that exactly what made Germany so obsessed with avoiding a two-front war in the first place?
The Russians had tried to renew their existing treaty with German in 1890 and failed as the German's wanted the freedom to act in case Russian occupied Constantinople. German neutrality per the treaty would, in this case, piss-off Turkey (obviously) - but also England who was keen to contain Russia.

The French were prepared to play sloppy seconds because their fear of Germany post 1870 for the moment transcended their distrust of Russia.

In 1907 the British temporarily came to terms with Russia re Asia (putting the 'great game' on hold) but quickly went back to standard containment post WW1.

Russia only became an acceptable partner when Germany took its usual place as the (unwanted) potential 'new kid' on the block..

These exceptions tend to underline my point .....

Re Proof of rampant Russian aggression "Oh Nos - here comes Hitler"

By the time of Catherine the Great (1790s) Russia already extended from the Pacific to the Vistula. Not 'much' happened until the Great War apart from territory being acquired in Kazakhstan and Turkestan which England saw as a "drive" on India / Persia(!) and the strategic acquisition of a Pacific warm water port in the form of Vladivostok.

There are not too many examples of Russia actually consuming oh say Iran, India, Turkey, Austria, China proper, Norway, Sweden.

True, Poland/Baltic have always been in contention and the Balkans were traditionally a plaything between the two main interested players (Ottomans and Russia with Austria ever hopeful ...) But small, poorly defined countries wedged between super powers always lead a tenuous existence.

The silliness becomes obvious if you contrast Russia's tentative, highly constrained feelers into Poland / Balkans / Baltic with the colonial spasms consuming Britain and France.

The landscape 1945-1989 was an accident stemming from the bizarre Soviet death tussle with Germany ending in the streets of Berlin and generating a mega fear and dislike of the West - built on very sound footings.

But Russia as a potential Nazi style steam-roller? The dangers of Chamberlain style appeasement? FFS.

I think the West has always projected it's fears onto Russia rather than understood where Russia was coming from. Which is, hardly, a position of organisational strength.

The only way to rouse the bear is to make the argument existential. Way to go Napoleon, Hitler and ..... Palin?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Speaking of cultural appropriation ... just one more example ... aided and abetted by a bunch of old white men and chill girl gender traitors

[youtube]85XLO0yNPI8[/youtube]

Where are all the fucking SJWarrios when you need them?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I mentioned from time to time I play EQ2?

The other day I was in a group with this guy in South Korea and his 10 yr old daughter ... anyway he kept cracking up at the name of my character ...

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/2168963107280

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Must say I laughed when I read PZ had paid life membership for an organisation run by a BraveHero who owns a couple of guns, is a fiscal conservative, pro military and suspicious of Obama and is lukewarm on free choice on abortion.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... resenting/

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Brive1987 wrote:Must say I laughed when I read PZ had paid life membership for an organisation run by a BraveHero who owns a couple of guns, is a fiscal conservative, pro military and suspicious of Obama and is lukewarm on free choice on abortion.

Ahahahahaha! Silverman didn't say he thinks abortion should be illegal, PZ, you blithering idiot!

Hahaha, what the fuck. Can he be anymore of a numpty? Shaking my damn fucking head.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

James Caruthers wrote:
Most of the Craigslist ads posted by women are looking for the impossible, requiring all of the following at the same time, such as a deep and meaningful relationship with a tender peace-loving gentle guy who loves kittens and rabbits and kids and will defend his woman with violent fisticuffs, who buys flowers on a daily basis while playing war-simulation sports with vigour and wild success, who is wholly independent but never strays, who is wholly financially and personally successful but dotes on his woman 24/7, who loves long walks in the rain but loves to spend forever at home in front of the fire and loves to travel but loves to stay in bed forever just cuddling, who loves sex but really just wants to cuddle, who loves cats, loves dogs, loves parrots, loves the SPCA, etc., etc., et-ridiculous-fucking-tc.
Not just craigslist, but pretty much anywhere women post their dating preferences, you see this sort of thing.

Maybe it's just a biological difference in the sexes. Maybe the women lie better than men (to hide their own slutty desires). Maybe men are more realistic about what they want from a partner. Maybe men are unrealistic in their own ways.
What I find interesting is that the female unreasonable demand (I want a perfect prince who will look after me forever) is somehow considered less selfish than the male unreasonable demand (I just wanna shag!).

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

didymos wrote:Tone policing is now harassment:
So when feminists dismiss men's concerns as "you're just threatened by a strong woman" or "you're just scared of losing their power", they're harassing us? Yay, we're victims, we get to get special treatment and not get called on our bad behaviour!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Pitchguest wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Must say I laughed when I read PZ had paid life membership for an organisation run by a BraveHero who owns a couple of guns, is a fiscal conservative, pro military and suspicious of Obama and is lukewarm on free choice on abortion.

Ahahahahaha! Silverman didn't say he thinks abortion should be illegal, PZ, you blithering idiot!

Hahaha, what the fuck. Can he be anymore of a numpty? Shaking my damn fucking head.
That article is ridiculous.

The figures that Peezus presents completely support Silverman and yet Peezus tries to make it sound the opposite.
In the wake of David Silverman’s claim that the case for abortion rights is “maybe not as clean cut as school prayer, right to die, and gay marriage,” the American Secular Census asked atheists what their views on those subjects were. Now of course, these numbers don’t say which answer is right, but only what the majority of atheists, those people American Atheists are supposed to represent, think is right. We have a decidedly liberal bias.
Which of these statements best describes your opinion about abortion?

55.4% Abortion should be legal without any restrictions beyond those applied to any other medical procedure.

43.0% Abortion should be legal but with reasonable restrictions on gestational stage.

00.9% Abortion should be legal only in cases of rape, incest, or to save the woman’s life.

00.2% Abortion should be legal only to save the woman’s life.

00.0% Abortion should be illegal.

00.5% Undecided / other

Which of these statements best describes your opinion of school-sponsored prayer in public education?

76.6% School-sponsored prayer has no place in public education.

22.8% School-sponsored prayer should not occur, but official minutes of silence when students can pray/meditate privately are fine.

00.2% School-sponsored prayer should be accommodated but only at special events such as graduation.

00.2% Parents and/or student bodies should be able to vote whether to have school-sponsored prayer.

00.1% School-sponsored prayer is fine.

00.2% Undecided / other

Which of these statements best describes your opinion about gay couples marrying?

97.3% Gay couples should be able to marry in all states.

01.0% States should be able to decide whether to perform gay marriages and whether to recognize marriages performed in other states.

00.6% Gay marriage should not be recognized in any state but all states should allow gay couples to enter into civil unions.

00.2% States should be able to decide whether to formalize civil unions and whether to recognize civil unions from out of state.

00.0% Gay couples should not be able to marry or enter into civil unions in any state.

00.9% Undecided / other
Both the school prayer question and the gay marriage question reveal that atheists are almost universally agreed on these issues - religious school-sponsored prayers are opposed by over 99% of atheists and gay marriage is supported by over 97%.

In contrast the abortion question is very mixed.

Both options provided are a little unclear

"Abortion should be legal without any restrictions beyond those applied to any other medical procedure."

I'm unsure exactly what that means but I take it to read that there should be no time limits whatsoever up until the moment of birth - although I can also see people reading different meanings into that answer (in other words it is a vague option - and thus a bad choice for such a survey)

Even so, just 55.4% of people agreed with it.

The next option is clearer, although not without problems:
"Abortion should be legal but with reasonable restrictions on gestational stage."

Isn't this what in reality most moderate religious people believe?
Isn't it also how modern western societies mostly deal with the question of abortion?

The cruz of the issue is how we define 'reasonable'.

Some people will claim that since the wellbeing of the pregnant woman is paramount and far outweights the rights of the fetus, 'reasonable' means up to the moment of birth.
Others will say that it is reasonable that since a fetus can survive (with modern medical intervention) outside the womb when it is 24 weeks old this is a good cut-off point and any later than 24 weeks is unreasonable.
Others still will give earlier timepoints, for example in the first trimester.

But, to cut through the complexities we might simply view the question as referring to what society now views as the reasonable cutoff point for non medical emergency abortions (medical emergency abortions, I presume, will be universally accepted by atheists.)
In other words we can define 'reasonable' as meaning between the first trimester and somewhere before the 24 week point.

Note that this is very different that the first option - which defines no limit.
43% of atheists seem to fit into this category - which roughly divides the atheist community into two camps - one which doesn't see the need for a time limit on (non medical emergency) abortions, and the other that does.

Since I've indicated the problems with the questions being too vague, there will be some degree of overlap - it would be better to get clearer questions if you want a firm grasp of atheists views on this matter - but even so it is nonsense to suggest that Silverman is wrong on this matter - he is clearly correct that atheists views are nowhere near as univerally agreed on this question compared to questions of school prayer and gay marriage.

Peezus, taking this sort of 'World News Daily' style tabloid objectivity to the question shows why he never made it as one of the horsemen and why the panel of likely candidates to succeed Hitchens as atheist leaders, never included him.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

bollocks, "crux of the question"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And here I was simply enjoying the LOLs of PZ's lost dollars. Sometimes I feel like a bear of very little brains .....

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Sulaco wrote:Really, sending troops to die in some far off place for what some ridiculous principle?
The soverienty of countries is a 'ridiculous principle'?! :shock:

Tell me, when you watch Doctor Who, do you think the Daleks are the good guys?

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

It's very stressful being a team of one. It's especially worse when you do have a team besides yourself, and they're bringing negative contributions to the table.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
Sulaco wrote:Really, sending troops to die in some far off place for what some ridiculous principle?
The soverienty of countries is a 'ridiculous principle'?! :shock:

Tell me, when you watch Doctor Who, do you think the Daleks are the good guys?
"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done"

windy

Post by windy »

Brive1987 wrote: Re Proof of rampant Russian aggression "Oh Nos - here comes Hitler"

By the time of Catherine the Great (1790s) Russia already extended from the Pacific to the Vistula. Not 'much' happened until the Great War apart from territory being acquired in Kazakhstan and Turkestan which England saw as a "drive" on India / Persia(!) and the strategic acquisition of a Pacific warm water port in the form of Vladivostok.

There are not too many examples of Russia actually consuming oh say Iran, India, Turkey, Austria, China proper, Norway, Sweden.

True, Poland/Baltic have always been in contention and the Balkans were traditionally a plaything between the two main interested players (Ottomans and Russia with Austria ever hopeful ...) But small, poorly defined countries wedged between super powers always lead a tenuous existence.

The silliness becomes obvious if you contrast Russia's tentative, highly constrained feelers into Poland / Balkans / Baltic with the colonial spasms consuming Britain and France.
"Poorly defined"? Well I never! :snooty:

You may be erring a bit too far in the other direction here, Russia was an empire after all, it just got into the game later than most European empires. You could even argue that those 'feelers' into the Baltic area were in reaction to earlier Swedish expansionism- (which, incidentally, ended when the Swedes blew their wad in Ukraine:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Poltava

And during WWII they were initially happy to divvy up Eastern Europe with the Nazis (this Soviet aggression tends to be forgotten in the tired Hitler-appeasement analogies, due to their later status as an ally)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I wonder will Peezus respond to this or not (most likely not) - but August Berkshire, the president of the Minnesota Atheists, drops in to add his thoughts to the abortion question - which we know thanks to Peezus can NEVER have a secular argument against it.
To me it’s a human rights issue – the right of the woman to bodily integrity. So I say that there are secular arguments against abortion, but I find the secular arguments for choice to be superior. I even think a woman has a right to abort a healthy, viable fetus. However, in such cases, I have some sympathy that the abortion takes place in a way that the fetus is most likely to survive. Yet this too raises the issue of a woman’s bodily integrity, since it might be safer, or merely less painful, for her to have an abortion in a way that the fetus won’t survive.

We are fortunate that abortions of healthy fetuses in the final trimester for reasons that don’t involve the health or life of the mother almost never occur. But if they did, the secular slippery slope argument against abortion would be more well known.
So there are secular arguments after all?
And these usually involve very late term abortions for non medical emergency reasons?

But since these cases are vanishingly rare we don't need to consider them?

Another commenter, "atheistblog" demonstrates that the figures that Peezus used don't exactly demonstrate universal atheist consensus on the question:
atheistblog

9 March 2014 at 9:05 pm

I wonder who are those ” 43.0% Abortion should be legal but with reasonable restrictions on gestational stage.” Silverman might be one of those. No frigging way!!
If you are one of those 43% you are no different than any other pro life, because you are deciding there is a limit, but the problem is why calling name on rednecks when their limit is different.
You should be ashamed if you are one of those 43%. ” 43.0% Abortion should be legal but with reasonable restrictions on gestational stage.”

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Even funnier, he announced his donation with this laudatory post: David Silverman, a principled atheist. He wasted $1000 and a gushing endorsement on a wannabe GOPer just for whupping on Justin Vacula.

His delusional mewling since he learned Silverman tried to set up a booth at CPAC is farging hilarious. Watch the progression:

Silverman is a tricksy devil.

http://imgur.com/U4ccdOd.png

Silverman brought us a win! Go Dave!

http://imgur.com/S7zBpwp.png

Wait, he's there to recruit? (No PZ, he's there to sell Amway products, you fucking galoot)

http://imgur.com/fgkowsa.png

Now I'll use a stern tone and pretend there aren't 1000 reasons why I haven't called you a Slymepit rapist yet.

http://imgur.com/thpMhqg.png

GNUURGHH. Y U NO BEAT ON VACULA ANYMORE? Stand back, here comes my harshest language yet.
PZ, Mar 09 wrote:I’m going to pretend it’s a stupid PR stunt. It’s definitely getting American Atheists some media attention, but it’s all man-bites-dog counter-intuitive sensationalism, and I don’t think it’s going to pay off in the long run.

http://archive.is/IUvHI

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

windy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Re Proof of rampant Russian aggression "Oh Nos - here comes Hitler"

"Poorly defined"? Well I never! :snooty:

You may be erring a bit too far in the other direction here, Russia was an empire after all, it just got into the game later than most European empires. You could even argue that those 'feelers' into the Baltic area were in reaction to earlier Swedish expansionism- (which, incidentally, ended when the Swedes blew their wad in Ukraine:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Poltava

And during WWII they were initially happy to divvy up Eastern Europe with the Nazis (this Soviet aggression tends to be forgotten in the tired Hitler-appeasement analogies, due to their later status as an ally)
Oh I happily concede Poland was considered by Russia as "fair game" and that the Baltic and Balkans were seen as a historic Slavic sphere of influence. Though even Slovakia gorged on Polish territory in 1939 ..... so Russia was not alone with these thoughts.

Poland ceased to exist in 1795, thanks to Austria, Prussia and Russia. This dismemberment was reconfirmed by the victorious Allies at the Congress of Vienna after Waterloo. The Frankenstein that arose out the ashes of defeated nations (and Russia) in 1919 was always going to be a disaster. Russia's actions in 1939 were not simply mindless aggression and had a basis beyond the obvious "keep your enemy close" pact with Hitler.

My original point though, was that the Cold War propaganda of an aggressive expansionist Russia (a la Nazi Germany) says more about Western insecurity and vested interest than anything else.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:It's very stressful being a team of one. It's especially worse when you do have a team besides yourself, and they're bringing negative contributions to the table.
It is the role of "team leader" to ensure any ideas brought to the table are theirs - craftily implanted into the group, their reveal carefully orchestrated well prior to the meeting taking place.

Some participants call this "getting rolled" and few understand exactly what 'just happened'.

Truly open forums are for suckers.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

^
|

This is how it works, not how it 'should' work.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ape+Lust nice summary - it's a beautiful thing seeing the progression like that.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ape+Lust nice summary - it's a beautiful thing seeing the progression like that.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:It's very stressful being a team of one. It's especially worse when you do have a team besides yourself, and they're bringing negative contributions to the table.
It is the role of "team leader" to ensure any ideas brought to the table are theirs - craftily implanted into the group, their reveal carefully orchestrated well prior to the meeting taking place.

Some participants call this "getting rolled" and few understand exactly what 'just happened'.

Wasn't that the case for the whole 'Atheism Plus' idea?
Myers had been talking along those lines long before McCreight had her brainwave, and I've seen reports that it was being discussed and prepared in the back forum of FTB just prior to McCreights announcement.
Myers may have realized it was not going to be easy - particularly since it was linked to their plans for shunning and blacklisting those who opposed it (remember Carriers 'intellectual artillery post) - and so McCreight was sent out to test the waters.

Is it entirely coincidental that McCreight's withdrawal from blogging seems to have happened at the same time that the big players on her side - Myers, Benson and Watson, all distanced themselves from Atheism Plus - leaving McCreight as the only remaining nurse Ratchet of that particular asylum?

windy

Post by windy »

Brive1987 wrote: My original point though, was that the Cold War propaganda of an aggressive expansionist Russia (a la Nazi Germany) says more about Western insecurity and vested interest than anything else.
Wasn't Cold War propaganda in the West more about the menace of international communism, than an expansionist Russia? The actual threat from the USSR was more about installing and upholding puppet regimes rather than seizing territory (not that Western powers can really point fingers at that without calling the kettle black.)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Wasn't that the case for the whole 'Atheism Plus' idea?
Myers had been talking along those lines long before McCreight had her brainwave, and I've seen reports that it was being discussed and prepared in the back forum of FTB just prior to McCreights announcement.
Myers may have realized it was not going to be easy - particularly since it was linked to their plans for shunning and blacklisting those who opposed it (remember Carriers 'intellectual artillery post) - and so McCreight was sent out to test the waters.

Is it entirely coincidental that McCreight's withdrawal from blogging seems to have happened at the same time that the big players on her side - Myers, Benson and Watson, all distanced themselves from Atheism Plus - leaving McCreight as the only remaining nurse Ratchet of that particular asylum?

Yep, if memory serves, a month or so before the "we are the third wave of atheism" day, one of the usual pricks (i think it was McWrong) had a post up about how on PZ's behest they were all brainstorming as to how to advance the "progresive" agenda within atheism.

windy

Post by windy »

Ape+lust wrote:He wasted $1000 and a gushing endorsement on a wannabe GOPer just for whupping on Justin Vacula.

His delusional mewling since he learned Silverman tried to set up a booth at CPAC is farging hilarious.
So Silverman attended a convention despite the fact that many people there were uncomfortable with his presence? Not only is he failing to whup on Vacula, he IS Vacula.

(Of course the difference is that the conservative fears are just silly, unlike those of the genteel ladies who reasonably feared ravishment at the hands of Vacula's pornstache.)

LandSnark

Post by LandSnark »

welch wrote: So you've decided that the entire computer market is X86. Okay. Had you said that only X86 counts in your world, then I'd have known you don't know a lot about computing overall and ignored you long ago.
No I was just referring to the market that I fairly certain was one of the largest and showed the greatest abuse of patents. Thats why I was specific to saying the x86 market.
welch wrote: Read up on their mainframe work. z/OS has done some interesting things with allowing for alternative instruction sets in their VMs for some years now. I think the iSeries has too. They have options for actual cards with other CPUS as well if you need.
Will do. I don't get to see as much IBM gear these days, pretty much in a Dell/Cisco/SUN dominated city.
welch wrote: In addition, the x86 market is not where most of the growth is. It's actually pretty stagnant, the desktop and server sales show that. Mobile is where the real money is, and it's money you can make without needing more money than god or IBM.
Well sure that how is now. Back in the early days of the Wintel alliance it sure was a more attractive market in fact there were a few vendors at the time however from the pit of lies:

"Unlike AMD, Cyrix had never manufactured or sold Intel designs under a negotiated license. Cyrix's designs were the result of meticulous in-house reverse engineering and often made significant advances in the technology while still being socket compatible with Intel's products."

"Thus, while AMD's 386s and even 486s had some Intel-written microcode software, Cyrix's designs were completely independent. Focused on removing potential competitors, Intel spent many years in legal battles with Cyrix, consuming Cyrix financial resources, claiming that the Cyrix 486 violated Intel's patents, when in reality the design was proven independent. {Rulings from federal court in Sherman, Texas and Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in Washington DC.}"

Q.E.D.
welch wrote: Ah, so now they don't count because they aren't big enough. Goalpost moving and no true scotsman. Good job sonny.
Well they aren't that big at all and they had did have to have that patent leverage on Intel to have any hope. I merely forgot about them since they don't seem to have much market share. Data a little difficult to come by:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/displa ... Intel.html

Pretty much classes VIA as "other" at 1% or less.
welch wrote: yes. Given how little you know about IBM in general, I'm sure your opinion is based on a wealth of facts. That aren't really there.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux-an ... ves-itbwcw
welch wrote: Oh you are *now*. Now you're narrowing shit as fast as possible because that's the only way you can turn the entire world of operating systems into Linux, BSD, and Windows. You're still wrong in that assertion, but you also dismiss SysV unixen because they don't sell enough to count and so forth.
Yes because in my original post I was using the x86 market as an example of where patent abuse was most obvious. And it matters because it was one of the biggest. I'm not narrowing down here I'm staying on target.
welch wrote: Well, it won't actually matter, because now:

only desktop and certain server OS's count
Only x86 architecuture counts
Only sales over a certain number which of course, you've not provided counts
Only user numbers over a certain number, which you've not provided, counts
Only direct competitors of microsoft count. Except in Mobile and Embedded, those don't count. (did we forget MS competes actively in the embedded space? We must have, but luckily, that doesn't count either)
See above comment.
welch wrote: tl;dr

"How dare you expect me to know more about computers than the one on my desk, and insist that any other kinds of computers count"

Ah, sweet, sweet intellectual dishonesty.

I bet you're a skeptic, aren't you.
You are making assumptions on my knowledge and are deliberately ignoring the fact I was only using one market as example of patent abuse. I'm pretty sure other architectures have had patent based spats and I fully acknowledge that I do not know much about them since I did only say "the x86 market" several times.

You like IBM sure but you seem to forget that IBM came to the brink of death several times when they got done over by Microsoft so they may not be the best example. They are certainly an excellent example of a lumbering giant reinventing itself as an innovative market player but they certainly keep MS at arms reach even going as far as backing Linux at a time MS had their panties in a twist about it.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Skep tickle wrote:Just want to take a moment to say that there are so many posts here that I appreciate, whether informative or funny or very pointed or whatnot. It would be nice to acknowledge them all but it would make the 'Pit twice as long (and that "Thanks!" button we tried for a while was a big no-go). Anyway, there have been several in the last page, not that there aren't usually several on every page; recently, those include several people's comments on abortion, Strawkins' link to the Parsehole twitter thing, Aneris being so even-handed in her wishing Happy Birthdays to two people who spend a lot of time at the 'Pit, oh and I learned a new meaning for "greek". :D

That's especially relevant heading into a reply to Steersman here, because I want to acknowledge things I previously just passed by, but noted: Dick Strawkins' comments on several occasions about his experiences working in a cytogenetics lab doing karyotypes (often for people with infertility, or for prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities) - very pertinent. Also, BillHamp's comments on evolution, which had me nodding, and then it seemed to me that Jan Steen's eagle-eyed comments back were mostly about specific wording or presentation, not a major disagremeent, and the two of you probably could have worked it out if you really had been sitting in a pub chatting over a brew.
You may be right about the pub and brew, but I'm inclined to think that Jan is simply angry that I chose to criticize how evolution is explained and referred to by biologists. Rather than argue a concept, Jan simply introduces new terms. Each time I explain why the first term does not, in fact, mean what Jan thinks it does, then another concept is introduced that does not, in fact, contradict the original point, but rather supports it. I've grown tired of rebuffing ad hominems and chasing goal posts, so I have give up on Jan. I'd rather discuss a point in detail and settle the matter than react to the flailings of someone who is simply looking to "one-up" me because of injured pride. I'd happily concede if I were wrong, as E.O. Wilson did regarding kin selection (not group selection), but so far I haven't been wrong. It happens to me often enough that I know what it looks like to be wrong, I simply am not when it comes to my discussion (which devolved into an argument) with Jan.
Anyway:
Steersman wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:He's posted in FTB here in the thread at Lousy Canuck's entry about his talk. ....

Interesting and somewhat amusing. Also that Nick Gotts – a regular at Pharyngula if I’m not mistaken – wasn’t particularly impressed either with HJ’s “sex is a social construct” “thesis”:
Gotts wrote:<snipped the comment disagreeing w/ hjhornbeck's view of 'sex'>
Not quite sure what his beef with essentialism is, but his “reality of distinctions” seems credible. But relative to which, I wonder whether you or others more knowledgeable than I on the topic could tell me whether there is any evidence at all that any of the genotypes other than X-Y and X-X are viable in the sense of being able to contribute to procreation. Seems to me, as I think I mentioned in one of the comments in Ally’s thread, that the sine qua non of sexual reproduction – and therefore sex – is that it requires two diploid individuals capable of generating haploid gametes that are complementary and capable of generating a viable zygote. Which tends, I think, to cut the legs out from under HJ’s “thesis”, and his bogus analogy with Newtonian mechanics.
Some people with "intersex" conditions and karyotype abnormalities in the sex chromosomes can procreate. I'm mostly going to focus on women below because that's what I know best.

Considerations, part A: To procreate, people have to have "working parts" (ovary, Fallopian tube, uterus; testis, vas deferens, whatever else it is that men need) - that developed during embryogenesis - and a reasonable hormonal milieu; the latter can be given pharmaceutically, the former can't. (Well, at least to procreate without intensive intervention from an infertility lab or, in the future, a lab that does cloning, that is.)

Considerations, part B: People who have working parts are much less likely to come to medical attention & be diagnosed with a chromosomal, genetic, or developmental disorder. For girls/women, failure to experience menarche (onset of menses) in teenage years is a common trigger for evaluation leading to diagnosis of one of the disorders of sex development. But a woman who do menstruate may be less likely to be diagnosed with a condition in which her biological sex isn't "normal" (XX in all cells, or whatever) even if later she has trouble getting pregnant, or carrying a pregnancy.

Considerations, part C: I've said before that all cells (all nucleated, somatic cells) in a person carry the same chromosomes. I must now confess that that was an oversimplification, ignoring mosaicism (from an error of chromosomal separation in cell division) and chimerism (from cells from 2 genetically distinct organisms, say 2 zygotes in the same uterus, merging into 1 organism; may not be as rare as that link says it is).

The gonads, for example, can have a normal karyotype, while most of the rest of the body has a chromosomal abnormality but the same genes. Or the gonads can be genetically distinct from most of the rest of the body, with a normal karyotype in each cell (XX in all cells, or XY in all cells, or XX in some cells and XY in some cells, depending on the circumstances).

Gotta get going to work, but I hope that takes a stab at answering your question.

Couple of abstracts (none w/ freely accessible papers, sorry) about fertility in a couple of conditions w/ abnormalities of chromosomes:
Phenotypic differences in mosaic Klinefelter patients as compared with non-mosaic Klinefelter patients
And, Fertility in Klinefelter syndrome (focuses on treatment)
Procreation in Turner's syndrome

You are right that saying "all cells in the body carry the same DNA" is an oversimplification, but it isn't an error. We don't have room here to type half a million words on human biology. There are entire collections of books dedicated just to understanding human reproduction and even those are incomplete (by a huge margin). None of that changes the original argument that sex is not a social construct and is, rather, a physical/biological construct.

You are quite right that presentation is a big part of it. There are likely a number of undiagnosed minor chromosomal issues out there that never present to a healthcare professional simply because they don't cause enough of a difference. You are also right to point out things like mosacism, etc. X-inactivation in woman can create an extremely complicated genetic environment, but usually works out to an advantage for women who do have a chromosomal abnormality. It is an inordinately complex science and one that is subject to change. HJ, however, is putting the cart before the horse when saying that sex is a social construct. Sex is a physicial distinction and though social constructs have arisen around that distinction, they are nonetheless grounded in actual biology. To argue otherwise is to not only dismiss the science, but to dismiss the fact that the biology influences the society.

If we follow HJ's theory, then creationists are fully justified in saying that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. We would have to conclude that homosexual individuals simply decided, one day, to change their sexual orientation. Of course, anyone with any knowledge of biology knows that those people have as much choice regarding their sexual orientation as they do over their height or eye color. So, HJ's theory completely undoes the work of thousands upon thousands of individuals who have fought to have their biology recognized and accepted. Arguing that sex is biological in no way is an argument that because we predominantly differentiate male/female in this speices that EVERYONE does. Quite the contrary. It is an argument that traits (which are phenotypes and not DNA squences as Jan would like to argue - http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/ ... gy%29.html, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK62426/) are controlled by genes and their interactions with the environment and are not anything we can think or wish away. It is, in fact, and argument that allows for a very broad range of differences if one understands biology well. Those differences, however, are physical and not social. Our social constructs are layered on top of our biology and they don't always do an adequate job of dealing with science. HJ's has a very poor understanding of biology.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

another lurker wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Not having wandered very far down the Hornbeckian rabbit hole that Skep Tickle, Billhamp, GA, Steersman etc seemed to be plugging, I haven't tried to engage Hornbeck's arguments too much, but the parts I can tie together seem pretty much a rehash of feminist professor Judith Butler's thesis on sex and gender. Those views, in turn, were heavily influenced by Michel Foucault and critical theory/post modernist schools of philosophy.
Is Foucault another philosopher who should be ignored? Like Lacan and Derrida?
No. I think you should ignore Lacan in a completely different way to F and D. Or at least for different reasons.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

windy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: My original point though, was that the Cold War propaganda of an aggressive expansionist Russia (a la Nazi Germany) says more about Western insecurity and vested interest than anything else.
Wasn't Cold War propaganda in the West more about the menace of international communism, than an expansionist Russia? The actual threat from the USSR was more about installing and upholding puppet regimes rather than seizing territory (not that Western powers can really point fingers at that without calling the kettle black.)
There was a real worry about the Warsaw Pact bursting across the Fulda Gap and Lüneburg Heath in a 1940's style blitzkrieg because ... well just because I guess.

Remember the Reforger Exercises? The belief we would have to fall back on tactical nukes to stop the 10,000 MBT's? The generations of servicemen practising 'mobile defence' in soggy fields while tearing up German cobbles with their tracks?

All neatly summed up firstly in Hackett's book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_ ... told_Story

And finally by Tom himself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Rising

These fears were always there - but for some reason seemed pretty intense 1977 - 1986.

The West really did see the Soviets as both an ideological international cancer and as a 'clear and present' conventional and nuclear first strike danger.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Dornier Pfeil wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
LurkerPerson wrote:Are you seriously saying that Russia needs more territory? That map you posted just happens to miss about, oh, I dunno, 4/5ths of the rest of fucking Russia. But sure, po' lil Russia is just afwaid of big bad western bully. And their need for a buffer being obvious is, what exactly? The impending invasion of the evil nazi zionist controlled EU? This is literally EXACTLY like Hitler's takeover of the Sudetenland, right down to the ethnic irredentism and the blatant cowardice and fear of confrontation.
I'm not sure if the Sudetenland had a referendum on staying in Czechoslovakia or not, the way that the Crimeans seem to be planning regarding staying with Ukraine or joining Russia.
This kind of situation, with a part of one country joining another - or simply asserting independence from a larger power, is hardly unique.
Isn't that how Northern Ireland came about?
How about East Timor in recent years?
Or even the current move by Scotland to achieve independence?

Yes, Putin is a thug, we all know that. But that doesn't mean there aren't real issues with the russian speaking minority in Ukraine, or real military questions regarding the Crimean bases which may have faced control from anti-Russian Ukrainian nationalists.
There is no such thing as ethnic Crimeans for Kobol's sake. Just ask the Tatars what they think of a referendum. It's a fucking joke.
58.32% Russians
24.32% Ukrainians
12.10% Crimean Tatars

Considering the history, the closest thing you can have to an 'ethnic' Crimean are the Tatars.

The control of the Russian bases was never in jeopardy. Ukraine could never muster enough force to threaten them under any conceivable circumstance. The fact that Ukraine's army was essentially trapped in their own bases ought to be proof enough of that.
Depends on which bit of history you focus on. The Tatars managed to invade and subjugate much of the territory that is now Russia, and it took the Russians several hundred years to throw off the yolk. I think payback over that timescale is ridiculous, but there are some long memories around and people who are ready to appeal to them.

And no, that doesn't justify invading Ukraine.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re Hackett's Book - "The Third World War" 1978 ....

From Wiki:
A coup d'etat led by Ukrainian nationalists overthrows the Soviet Politburo, accelerating the end of the Soviet threat.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Good morning.

Just short of noon in England and Cunt's mom just started her day with a bracing shot of furniture polish.

http://img0088.popscreencdn.com/1337395 ... d-ebay.jpg

That is all

Parody Accountant

JackSkeptic wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Has anyone got PTSD from posting here? I mean, what with us being the depths of evil and everything it must happen all the time right? We shot our only god in the head (may Kitty rise in three days, it hath been prophesied), everyone argues with everyone, the more trivial the topic the better, and we all hate women and minorities and stuff. That's just in one day. Maybe we are all suffering from PTSD? Maybe we should proudly proclaim that on twitter and earn us some victim points ASAP. We better hurry before the points run out, others got there long before us.
No joke... I've got PTSD (and Major Depressive Disorder, and Anxiety disorder, and alcoholism... and other shit like ADD) I'm going to be intentionally vague here as to the circumstances causing it. I'm in the middle of being forced out of my career because of it. My 'trauma' stems from a subject encountered rather frequently in this forum.

In no way shape or form has the slymepit caused any bit of my illness.

On the other hand, I've definitely been triggered here before. The worst reaction I've had is angrily slamming my laptop lid closed, perhaps muttering a swear at whatever person/story reminded me of a sociopath that fucked me up. Basically, not that bad. But bad enough for me to avoid the place until my medication / therapy got me back to 'normal' (whatever that means).

At all times I realize that I'm the one who's fucked up. I'm envious of your lackadaisical encounters with horrible people. I'm 100% aware that if I'm triggered by something, it's fucking EASY to just shut this place off for a day / month / ever.

Conversely, I find that humor helps me work through a situation, and I also appreciate the dedication of the handful who seem to treat this place like a 'mission'. (Much) more often than not, any 'triggering' subjects are easily disarmed by the 'charm' of the pit.
The thing is, you recognize you have an issue, you want to deal with it and you don't go round blaming everyone else or expecting them to change their behavior while screaming for attention and spewing vitriol over invented offenses. My post was being ironic and reflecting that many claimed, self diagnosed 'illnesses' by SJW's are so patently lies and, unforgivable to me, trivialize genuine cases. They directly harm people who genuinely need help and support.

I knew people with PTSD, many of my Uncles got symptoms from WW2 and I know what the hell it does. If people like Hensley had it she would NOT be prating on about it on twitter, the very thing she claims triggers her.
One of the first things my therapist(s) taught me... If discussing the specifics of your situation makes you anxious / hyper vigilant, then don't discuss the specifics of your situation. If you're triggered by something, avoid it! ("It hurts when I go like this!"... "Don't go like that.")

This advice is outside the scope of therapy itself, as obviously you have to work through whatever it is. I'm doing this weird Eye-Movement-Desensitization-Reprocessing (EMDR) shit. (Diet-Clockwork Orange? Moloko Minus?)

The goal is to force my brain to associate the traumatic event(s) with all the emotional intensity of going to the grocery store, or taking out the garbage, or watching a show on television. That's the way I understand it anyway.

Melody Hensley, and the others idiots are completely dishonest. I refuse to believe that they didn't learn these lessons about avoidance in their first few sessions with any therapist. They are either lying or non-compliant with their doctor's instructions.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

From Janet Stemwedel's post on the #sciosafe session at ScienceOnline14:
5. A clarification of Bora Zivkovic's relationship to the ScienceOnline organization and its conferences, events, and initiatives going forward.
We appreciate the swiftness with which Bora Zivkovic was removed from leadership of the ScienceOnline organization in the wake of revelations that he harassed multiple women, including women within the ScienceOnline community. However, the last official statement from the ScienceOnline organization specified that he would not be attending any ScienceOnline events in 2014. Members of the community would like to know what happens after 2014. We ask the Board to seriously consider making the separation between Zivkovic and the ScienceOnline organization, its conferences, events, and initiatives permanent.
She (and a number of others) really has a hate-on for Zivkovic. Perhaps he can also be blamed for the political upheaval in Ukraine.

It's quite amusing to read their repeated demands for representation of "diversity" in ScienceOnline leadership and organization, when their gatherings and community are so lacking in diversity. In addition to the very US-biased participation in the conference (which is supposed to be representative of an, errrrr, online community) - a diversity issue on its own - there's a very glaring lack of diversity among participants, just within the context of the US population. Their conference does not look like my local community, for example, or even like my classroom or research collaborations. Maybe some of those jockeying for leadership need to step back and ask whether they're contributing to the diversity of the conference, or whether they might need to send an underrepresented minority to the conference in their stead next year. Hmmmmm. :think:

Parody Accountant

Mykeru wrote:Good morning.

Just short of noon in England and Cunt's mom just started her day with a bracing shot of furniture polish.

http://img0088.popscreencdn.com/1337395 ... d-ebay.jpg

That is all
Fucking british rhyming slang.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

windy wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:He wasted $1000 and a gushing endorsement on a wannabe GOPer just for whupping on Justin Vacula.

His delusional mewling since he learned Silverman tried to set up a booth at CPAC is farging hilarious.
So Silverman attended a convention despite the fact that many people there were uncomfortable with his presence? Not only is he failing to whup on Vacula, he IS Vacula.

(Of course the difference is that the conservative fears are just silly, unlike those of the genteel ladies who reasonably feared ravishment at the hands of Vacula's pornstache.)
Haha! Is that what set Ophelia off? She felt her ladybits were imperilled by... oh hell no, I can't even...

I have the feeling Silverman is fucking with them. He's spent a half year getting gangpiled by PZ's crew every time he showed up on Twitter and took it without fighting back. Since he holds to an "every ally is a necessary ally" philosophy, he can't tell them off. But, he can make them tell him to get out of "their" atheism, which I expect PZ will do soon enough.

http://imgur.com/05oL4eA.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ape+lust wrote:
Haha! Is that what set Ophelia off? She felt her ladybits were imperilled by... oh hell no, I can't even...

I have the feeling Silverman is fucking with them. He's spent a half year getting gangpiled by PZ's crew every time he showed up on Twitter and took it without fighting back. Since he holds to an "every ally is a necessary ally" philosophy, he can't tell them off. But, he can make them tell him to get out of "their" atheism, which I expect PZ will do soon enough.

For a moment I thought you'd 'shopped that, but it's a real photo of Silverman with one of those Reagan icons that the Republicans worship. :shock:

[youtube]F6X9KcrXHwg[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

For a moment I thought you'd 'shopped that, but it's a real photo of Silverman with one of those Reagan icons that the Republicans worship. :shock:

I hope somebody asks Dave about that. If it turns out he thinks St Ronnie was a swell guy, PZ's eyebrows will pop off his head. PZ can rage as hard as he likes, but it won't cover the fact that he was an impetuous moron, out loud and in public. He's just so darn trusting.

**snicker**

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Pitchguest wrote:

They really can't stand anyone with even a slightly different opinion than them. To me, at least in the US, politics poisons everything.