Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Spence wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
disumbrationist wrote:...the function 1-(1-x)^n can be approximated by n*x if x is near zero and n << 1/x...
Eh???
I'd put good money on that what you say is not true.
The problem I find is that most people do not find stats intuitive so taking shortcuts like this abstracts from what is actually being done and generally more mistakes get made (in my experience).
Ah, I see now. The Range was assumed to be artificially restricted to x>=0.
My immediate gut reaction on seeing this supposed equivalence is that it fails spectacularly when x is negative.
(Say x=-0.01 & n=2000; 1 - (-1 + x)^20=-4.39286*10^8 & n*x=-20. Error=-4.39286*10^8. !!!)

Damn fools, take into account Goldmann's coefficient of exponentials, and the minimum possible reciprocate of a polynomial bifurcation can only be a real number greater than pi(^12).

Unless you're stuck in the 18th Century, ll such distributions must be factored in 8 dimensions, and thus the harpsichord's strings are superficially stronger than a spider's leg hair.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Bitchspot has a great post up on A+:

http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/2 ... nsensical/

franc

Post by franc »

ERV wrote:I still dont understand those of you who describe Watson as 'smart'
Who? Not me. I use terms like "bag of ball bearings". I also repeatedly stress "never confuse cunning with intelligence".

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ya, I'm not sure if anyone has actually credited Watson with being smart, as in intelligent. She has certainly been credited as being crafty, devious, clever, bright, manipulative, and other such terms, but smart? I don't think so.

She is both highly sensitive to, aware of, and to some degree educated in manipulative rhetoric designed to achieve a quick emotional response. But she is by no means very intelligent, nor is she very educated in a general sort of way. As has been pointed out, Gallileo was murdered by the Church, right Becks?

:shhh:

sacha

Post by sacha »

don't listen.jpg
(52.62 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Evan

The Princess of Seattle speaks about A+

Post by Evan »

The founder of Atheism Plus speaks!

[youtube]mIOi-xFN8yA[/youtube]

This was recorded on September 9th, after the initial blogging flounce but before she blogged about the "hate" directed at her family.

Listening to Jen may increase your likelihood of acquiring reGreta virus. Thus I recommend using a browser add-on such as DownloadHelper to download the video, then play it back 50% faster than normal speed in a program such as VLC Media Player. Doing so will decrease the listening time by nearly 30 minutes while still allowing you to understand what she is saying.

The talk is approximately 38 minutes, followed by Q&A. A mention of Justin Vacula and a "forum dedicated to attacking us" occurs around the 11-minute mark.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:Ya, I'm not sure if anyone has actually credited Watson with being smart, as in intelligent. She has certainly been credited as being crafty, devious, clever, bright, manipulative, and other such terms, but smart? I don't think so.

She is both highly sensitive to, aware of, and to some degree educated in manipulative rhetoric designed to achieve a quick emotional response. But she is by no means very intelligent, nor is she very educated in a general sort of way. As has been pointed out, Gallileo was murdered by the Church, right Becks?

:shhh:
And she apparently corrected the mistake about Galileo “within minutes” of having posted the offending YouTube video.

She may well have more than a few “sins” to “atone” for, but making mountains out of molehills doesn’t seem to reflect terribly well on those doing so. Particularly in comparison to some of the rather more egregious cases in this neck of the woods, notably WoolyBumblebee’s plagiarism ....

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Excellent blog, Badger3k!

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Spence wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
disumbrationist wrote:...the function 1-(1-x)^n can be approximated by n*x if x is near zero and n << 1/x...
Eh???
The problem I find is that most people do not find stats intuitive so taking shortcuts like this abstracts from what is actually being done and generally more mistakes get made (in my experience).
My immediate gut reaction on seeing this supposed equivalence is that it fails spectacularly when x is negative.
(Say x=-0.01 & n=2000; 1 - (-1 + x)^20=-4.39286*10^8 & n*x=-20. Error=-4.39286*10^8. !!!)
You have two mistakes in there, highlighted in red. n=2000 is not << 1/x (=100 in this case), and I don't know what you did to the bit in brackets - whether x is positive or negative, it should still just be (1-x)^n. If you take x=-0.01 and n = 20 (a combination which fits Spence's conditions fairly well), then:

1-(1-x)^n = -0.22

n*x = -0.2

... so whether x is positive or negative, the approximation holds.

franc

Post by franc »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Badger3k wrote:Bitchspot has a great post up on A+:

http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/2 ... nsensical/
Good post. And I particularly liked the synopsis of the various “threats” that have been made:
Recently, Rebecca Watson posted a select few “threats” on her blog, yet when you really look at them, they’re certainly no worse than the Atheism+’ers themselves do over on their forums and blogs. The majority are simply “you ought to get raped” comments, which, while vile, are certainly not threats that said individual has any intention of actually raping the recipient. See “trolls” above. In fact, there’s this absurd thing that went around their forums where they told people to “go die in a fire” or “have a dead porcupine shoved up their ass”, and in both cases, the Atheism+ crowd denied they were threats because they weren’t specifically saying they were personally going to do anything to the individual, nor were they encouraging anyone else specifically to do anything to the individual. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander, so if it’s not a threat when the Atheism+ group does it, it’s not a threat when someone does it toward an Atheism+ member.
Although, of course, Wowbagger got into deep shit with the “fire” “threat” and had to apologize which he commendably did. And even PZ is not immune to belatedly recognizing some writing on the wall in now deprecating porcupine “jokes” – better late than never and all that even if he’s clearer on the letter of the law than the principle.

But I wonder about this, although he did say “supposedly”:
But that really is what a lot of women who embrace third-wave feminism want. In fact, if you go look at the Atheism+ forums, they’re supposedly having a wild discussion of finding a way for women to breed on their own so they can entirely do away with the inferior male “species”.
As far as I know, only Edwin Kagin was actually arguing that point, but that was, I think, something of rather clever “Swiftian” modest proposal. Not that many over there were particularly quick in picking up on that. But while there is no doubt that there are more than a few “radfems” who have gone off the deep end – somewhat similar to some of the MRA types – I would be rather surprised if anyone on Atheism-Plus is actually and honestly arguing that position – you wouldn’t, perchance, have a link to a discussion there of that nature?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

masakari2012 wrote:Excellent blog, Badger3k!
It is good. I just found it through this A+theism nonsense. Thanks to the twits, my world has expanded for the better. See, they do have a positive effect....just not the one they want.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Re: link to the A+ forum on getting rid of men - I do not. I tend to avoid going to the forum. If I get a chance, I may be able to go back and look through the other forums (I think it might have been mentioned at the JREF A+ thread I'm reading - or perhaps the Rationalia thread). However, my reGreta's is acting up - I have a doctors appointment, a test review to write (for review Thursday), and if possible, some Borderlands 2 relaxation, so I am not sure if I'll do it - but if I come across it I will definitely post it here.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Spence wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Eh???
all this maths I'm too blond to comprehend is making me hot.
Gives a whole new meaning to “sweet nothings” .... if Russian phrases worked for John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda with Jamie Lee Curtis then no reason that some mathematical jargon might not have similar effects on some people ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

cunt wrote:Ah yes. Those racist australians, what they needed was a residential school system to break up aboriginal families and expose children to tuberculosis. Thats the way a civilised country, like Canada, commits genocide.

*puffs pipe, strokes beard*
I think that was a manifestation of the law of unintended consequences – a case similar to those described in Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies – rather than a case of intentional genocide:
CANADA is to investigate claims that tens of thousands of native Indian and Inuit (First Nation) children died of tuberculosis at church-run residential schools in the early 20th century, and that their deaths were hushed up. Campaigners allege that school officials did nothing to halt the march of TB despite warnings, and charge that their inaction was tantamount to genocide.

Christian churches ran up to 88 boarding schools for aboriginal children across Canada between 1874 and 1985. Their stated aim was assimilation; children were forbidden to speak their native languages. Some 200,000 children passed through the schools, attendance was mandatory and the Mounted Police rounded up truants.
Probably not Canada’s “finest hour”, but the intent was apparently to provide an education and integrate natives into the body politic – rather than allowing them to die on the vine on reservations ....

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Re: The Princess of Seattle speaks about A+

Post by ERV »

Evan wrote:The founder of Atheism Plus speaks!

The talk is approximately 38 minutes, followed by Q&A. A mention of Justin Vacula and a "forum dedicated to attacking us" occurs around the 11-minute mark.
1800 mile flight for a 38 minute talk that could have easily, without question, been delivered via Skype.

A† environmentalism in action!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Sound familiar? (this is about a chemtrail theorist)

http://www.outlawjournalism.com/?p=202
many people who claim to be activists are falling into this trap of delusional obsession, finding dysfunctional comfort in releasing responsibility over their own lives to invisible monsters.
BTW, he is also not a fan of Pussy Riot. Some of you guys should read this methinks:
Western Media’s Pussy Riot Narrative the Most Transparent Example of Organized Manipulation of Public Opinion in History
http://www.outlawjournalism.com/?p=210

franc

Post by franc »

If the name was hidden, there's simply no way to differentiate the gibberish of the big baboon and his shitlick accomplice -

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... smandmras/

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote: Probably not Canada’s “finest hour”, but the intent was apparently to provide an education and integrate natives into the body politic – rather than allowing them to die on the vine on reservations ....
Understatement much about "finest moment"? This was typical of the times both then and now. Formulate some high minded principles and then leave it to some sadists to implement and run the institutions.

Irish Catholic priests were bad, Irish Catholic nuns were the worst, brutal sadists all of them. The Jesuits tended to be the best, but not by much in my opinion (and yes I am biased). If you think priests are bad, fall into the hands of the nuns and you will pray to be buggered instead.

The only reason I would hope that hell is real, would be because I would be certain the whole lot would be roasting in it for all eternity.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote: Not that many over there were particularly quick in picking up on that. But while there is no doubt that there are more than a few “radfems” who have gone off the deep end – somewhat similar to some of the MRA types – I would be rather surprised if anyone on Atheism-Plus is actually and honestly arguing that position – you wouldn’t, perchance, have a link to a discussion there of that nature?
Oh FFS! Put up or shut up! Show me some MRAs half as bat-shit crazy as this RadFem;

http://cherryblossomlife.com/2012/06/11 ... al-empire/
As the transsexual empire marches onwards, pushing its pawns and drones into spaces that women have until now managed to keep separate from men in an attempt to survive the patriarchal regime, the voices of those who would protest have become ever more silent and marginalized. If women do not agree that a eunuch is the same thing as a woman (which the dictionary defines as: Adult Human Female) and by consequence wish to arrange a meeting which excludes the interlopers, then (as we have seen recently) punishment is swift. Transwomen need only tap Big Brother on the shoulder requesting that women not be allowed to congregate, and their wish is granted.
Or this one:
https://pretendbian.wordpress.com/2012/ ... m-reality/
These insane MALES are trying to erase us, women. They are actively working night and day to ERASE us from our shared language, from our laws, from the face of the earth.

They’re working night and day to erase our uteri.

They’re working night and day to erase our vaginas.

They’re working night and day to erase our breasts.

They’re working night and day to erase our vulvas.

They’re working night and day to erase our menstruation.

They’re working night and day to erase our childbirth.

They’re working night and day to erase our mothering.

They’re working night and day to erase our lactation.

They’re working night and day to erase our clitorises.

They’re working night and day to erase our bones.

They’re working night and day to erase our blood.

They’re working night and day to erase our genes.

They’re working night and day to erase our girlhoods.

They’re working night and day to erase our shared experiences with other women, our sisterhood, our empathy with females world-wide.

They’re working night and day to erase our female experiences.

They’re working night and day to erase our REALITY.

They’re working night and day to erase our EXISTENCE.

They are insisting that everyone on earth participate in their “gender” insanity, that half the human race be ERASED in order to pretend that all we are is an idea in some mentally disturbed man’s brain, his delusional fantasies about “subconsious gender” — that all we are is a PART of his unconscious.

Are you paying attention, women? Are you listening? Are you awake?

Fight back against this insanity before there’s nothing left to fight for.
*sheesh*

Evan

Post by Evan »

ERV wrote:

1800 mile flight for a 38 minute talk that could have easily, without question, been delivered via Skype.

Why didn't they learn from the more experienced Kansas City atheist activists about this new-fangled Skype technology? They already know about this from a video uploaded 4 months ago to the same YouTube channel as Jen McCreight's A+ talk.

[youtube]hGKiTRraSQc[/youtube]

There is no known way to provide physical drinks and meals over Skype, but they could have reimbursed her with a PayPal donation or a gift card.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote: Probably not Canada’s “finest hour”, but the intent was apparently to provide an education and integrate natives into the body politic – rather than allowing them to die on the vine on reservations ....
Understatement much about "finest moment"? This was typical of the times both then and now. Formulate some high minded principles and then leave it to some sadists to implement and run the institutions.
Fortunately I put the phrase in quotes – hadn’t been aware of the details. But highlights the aphorism about power corrupting – the necessity for not allowing Dracula to be in charge of the blood-bank. Reminds me of a semi-recent case around about the time of the last federal election here in Canada when it came out that the governments of Canada and Alberta were allowing the multi-nationals in the Tar Sands to be in charge of the environmental monitoring ....
Irish Catholic priests were bad, Irish Catholic nuns were the worst, brutal sadists all of them. The Jesuits tended to be the best, but not by much in my opinion (and yes I am biased). If you think priests are bad, fall into the hands of the nuns and you will pray to be buggered instead.
Yes, I’ve recently heard that more than a few of the Irish Catholic nuns were hell on wheels. Further support for Blaise Pascal’s observation that “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.”
The only reason I would hope that hell is real, would be because I would be certain the whole lot would be roasting in it for all eternity.
One can at least sympathize ...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote:If the name was hidden, there's simply no way to differentiate the gibberish of the big baboon and his shitlick accomplice -

For a biologist with a cat as a house pet PeeZuss is surprising ignorant that the reason cats try not to empty their food bowl is that they wish to maintain a stash or cache of reserve food. They also do not trust humans to refill the bowl on a timely basis.

Cats are of the opinion that human are stupid. The cat that owns PeeZuss has probably been at the limit of his tolerance for as long as he can remember.

They will yell at you to refill the bowl before it gets empty because they do not want to eat their reserve supply. They usually plan ahead and do this before they are actually hungry.

And if the cat keeps barfing up the treat there is usually a good reason for it also. Cats are generally not stupid PeeZuss, but your cat probably has several good reasons to believe you are.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote: Not that many over there were particularly quick in picking up on that. But while there is no doubt that there are more than a few “radfems” who have gone off the deep end – somewhat similar to some of the MRA types – I would be rather surprised if anyone on Atheism-Plus is actually and honestly arguing that position – you wouldn’t, perchance, have a link to a discussion there of that nature?
Oh FFS! Put up or shut up! Show me some MRAs half as bat-shit crazy as this RadFem ....*sheesh*
For starters you could recollect your own criticisms of A Voice for Men:
Something else to note, there were more than a few comments not supporting the position of the article [by Paul Elam of A Voice for Men], including this one:
Torbjörn Josefsson wrote: Honestly, I think this view smells of crazy – what if someone at a feminist blog made the same promise to “always vote guilty” in rape trials – wouldn’t we be righteously pissed off?

If you have reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the defendant (for example if you feel this specific case has been unfairly handled), by all means vote to acquit, but.. you know there Are men who rape women, and rape is one of the most serious crimes I can think of – are you really saying that even if you believe the defendant is guilty, he should be let go to rape again?

I do not think the word “crazy” is too strong in this case
All movements need checks and balances. Obvious point is obvious. No?
Crazy is as crazy does ....

But you could also take a look at the Man Boobz’ “Boob Roll” for additional cases of that. While I think not all of his criticisms hit the nail on the head, enough of them do, I think, to justify the conclusion that there are more than a few crazies on each side ....

“sheesh” yourself ... :-)

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
franc wrote:If the name was hidden, there's simply no way to differentiate the gibberish of the big baboon and his shitlick accomplice -

And if the cat keeps barfing up the treat there is usually a good reason for it also. Cats are generally not stupid PeeZuss, but your cat probably has several good reasons to believe you are.
Agreed. And my point is confirmed - that wasn't written by the Naked One. You couldn't tell the difference could you?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:

For a biologist with a cat as a house pet PeeZuss is surprising ignorant that the reason cats try not to empty their food bowl ...
That post wasn't by PZ - the "big baboon" himself - but by someone else - "his shitlick accomplice" - who's apparently been hired (?) to guest post now and again ...

PZ probably wouldn't be caught dead with a cat for a house pet as otherwise I expect Jerry Coyne would never let him hear the end of it ...

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Steersman said:
Probably not Canada’s “finest hour”, but the intent was apparently to provide an education and integrate natives into the body politic – rather than allowing them to die on the vine on reservations ....
Or, as most Canadans who know the actual history can point out, it was an attempt over many decades to take children, almost always forcefully, often secretively, without regard for the wishes of the familes or the kids, away from their parents and their extended families with the intent to erase and irradicate their "heathen and savage" First Nations beliefs through forced Christian indocrination through any means possible, including extensive violence, and actual torture including semi-starvation, to beat them almost without surcease if the kids spoke "injun", to beat them almost without surcease if they talked about First Nations mystical beliefs, or even if they simply talked among themselves about their erstwhile families, and to try with malice and intent aforethought to turn all First Nations people as white as possible so that there would no longer be any heathen savages roaming the wilds of the land and trying to make land claims.

Not Canada's finest hour indeed. It is Canada's principal stain and is ongoing.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69 wrote: BTW, he is also not a fan of Pussy Riot. Some of you guys should read this methinks:
Western Media’s Pussy Riot Narrative the Most Transparent Example of Organized Manipulation of Public Opinion in History
That chicken fucking was pretty gross. I mean, whatever floats your boat, right? But salmonella smeared cunt? :?

Also, immediately after tweeting the article and giving it the hashtag "#pussyRiot", it was retweeted by two retweet-only anti-Putin/pro-Pussy Riot accounts. That's not creepy or anything...

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

franc wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Agreed. And my point is confirmed - that wasn't written by the Naked One. You couldn't tell the difference could you?
Wow. No shit. I thought that was PeeZee's when I saw it hours ago! No. I really couldn't tell the difference...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:
franc wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Wow. No shit. I thought that was PeeZee's when I saw it hours ago! No. I really couldn't tell the difference...
Oh FFS! I just noticed it was not PeeZuss. Fuck me with a wooden spoon!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:
“sheesh” yourself ... :-)
Oh FFS!

I just got an idea for a blind date service ... I can just see it, match up a you what with a you know what.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote: But you could also take a look at the Man Boobz’ “Boob Roll” for additional cases of that. While I think not all of his criticisms hit the nail on the head, enough of them do, I think, to justify the conclusion that there are more than a few crazies on each side ....
BTW... I will look some other time. Right now I am afraid to. *sheesh*

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Actually liking the maths, since it's well within my undergrad mathematics knowledge, haha.

I see that GenerallyFading disccussed the victim mentality earlier - I really agree, if you keep treating people like victims or making them think like victims, there's... never going to be a solution. I don't know if that's victim blaming or victim-enabler blaming. To stop being a victim you have to become empowered. I don't think there's any other way to be a real survivor.

Tsheo

Post by Tsheo »

I thought he was hired to make Pharyngulalala more about environmental issues? Nope, just more of the same.

Gah. I really hate the "unless you think what we do, and vote the way we say you should, you're not really an atheist/skeptic" thing they've got going on now. No, you can't tell me what to think or how to vote. Fuck that. I believe in freedom of thought, thanks, FTB. :roll:

sacha

Post by sacha »

AndrewV69 wrote:Sound familiar? (this is about a chemtrail theorist)

many people who claim to be activists are falling into this trap of delusional obsession, finding dysfunctional comfort in releasing responsibility over their own lives to invisible monsters.
BTW, he is also not a fan of Pussy Riot. Some of you guys should read this methinks:
As a side note, I feel is worth noting here is that if Americans were aware that the majority of Russian society were antagonistic toward Pussy Riot, they simply would not care. Americans (this goes for westerners in general, but it is certainly more pronounced in America), on both the left and the right, have developed an paradigm in which they their subjective value system is superior to that of all other cultures on the planet, and thus they feel it is their right, nay, their duty, to force it on everyone else in the world.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Don't know if any of y'all are familiar, but there was a debate that a feminist was trying to set up, titled "Has Feminism Gone Too Far?" The original planner started receiving a bunch of hate and threats from feminists, and so she called it off. It's known that it was feminists sending the threats, and yet the popular lie is that it was the MRAs, and it's even spread onto that junk-site "Jezebel". Anyways, here's the lasted [and most telling] update on that;

[youtube]t5ufzpiWbBM[/youtube]

Seriously though, I'm getting to the point where I'm just about done being charitable to any feminist's argument... Why bother?

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:BTW, he is also not a fan of Pussy Riot. Some of you guys should read this methinks:
Hyperbolise much? That article is quite frankly crap, including his cited "expert". What I said here is still valid http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... odox#p8485

I don't know what shit he reads, but I have not heard anything in my local media, even in the tabloids, that Pussy Riot was a "feminist" protest.

And if that is "Most Transparent Example of Organized Manipulation of Public Opinion in History" he's proving he's an imbecile that's never ventured out of his mom's basement.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

And by "lasted", I definitely mean "latest". :?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JackRayner wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 am
Steersman wrote: ...
Rates of victimization by sexual violence vary among ethnic groups. Approximately 1 in 5 Black women (22 percent) and White (18.8 percent) non-Hispanic women, and 1 in 7 Hispanic women (14.6 percent) in the United States have experienced rape at some point in their lives.
In which case one might argue that on average something like 15% of American women have been raped.
I've got several issues with your current source, and it has to do with 1] The ambiguity they display on that little stats page, and 2] Their sources...
Rather hard to come by – proper and credible statistics, I mean. But those ones seem to come from the US Department of Justice and/or the “FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program (UCR)”, the latter of which is supposedly based on actual police station reports. Don’t know offhand how you could have more credible ones than those, although the section on “Methodology” raises a few concerns ...

However, from what I’ve been able to piece together, they all seem to come from the NACJD [National Archive of Criminal Justice Data. Haven’t yet been able to figure out how the system works or how to extract the information I’m looking for. Further digging required ....
... *sigh*...
Agreed.
Listen; I know rape happens. And rape is bad. [And drugging others to have your way with them? Pretty despicable.] I'm just not going to sit here and have panic mongering ideologues with an agenda [not necessarily you, definitely your sources] blow smoke up my ass about its actual rate of occurrence...
Maybe I’m a little too quick to accept the statistics, but considering the above sources and the apparently credible numbers – something like 200,000 rapes and sexual assaults per year in the US which is consistent with the numbers used in Justicar’s video and which you apparently accepted – it seems – at least based on the recent discussions about the probabilities for rape – that the previously stated “victimization percentage” of about 15% is not at all implausible. Although I have to admit to becoming a little more skeptical because, in part, I haven’t yet managed to find any data on the actual number of trials and convictions for rape and assault – the proverbial smoking guns. But I’m going to have to do a bunch more digging before coming down on one side of the fence or the other ....

sacha

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Sound familiar? (this is about a chemtrail theorist)

As a side note, I feel is worth noting here is that if Americans were aware that the majority of Russian society were antagonistic toward Pussy Riot, they simply would not care. Americans (this goes for westerners in general, but it is certainly more pronounced in America), on both the left and the right, have developed an paradigm in which they their subjective value system is superior to that of all other cultures on the planet, and thus they feel it is their right, nay, their duty, to force it on everyone else in the world.

and then there is this:
The Solution

We must reevaluate the whole thing from the ground up. I do not think that human beings are meant to produce and consume products, I think we are spiritual beings who are meant to find meaning beyond the physical world, particularly in the domains of social interaction and a connection to the natural world. For myself and others who agree with that basic premise, the solution is simply to find a way to make it happen, rather than spending all of our energy complaining about why it isn’t happening.

This needs to happen on the personal, social and spiritual level, and has almost nothing at all to do with politics. The first thing is to make a complete disconnect with the false values of this soulless system of consumerism and general material obsession. The second thing is to find a way to live in balance with those around you, and with the natural world. This can very easily be done, and I am presently doing it. I live in the mountains with indigenous people, in a bamboo hut, and am focusing my energy not on “fighting the NWO” – not on destroying – but on planting trees, developing sustainable farming systems, educating children about the physical and spiritual dangers of Christianity and the economic system – I am focused on creating.

There is nothing at all to stop anyone else from doing exactly this – going back to the root of who and what we are as human beings, and disengaging from the machine that we as a species have created and allowed to run our lives. There is only the illusion of control. There are no CIA agents that are going to come kill me because I live in the mountains and plant vegetables and refuse to consume industrially produced products. When more people begin to take this position, a new society, existing separate from the reigning system, will emerge. We will be free, and our children will be free, and the system can keep doing as it’s doing, and it will end and we will continue...
http://realitysituation.com/

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Steersman wrote:
Listen; I know rape happens. And rape is bad. [And drugging others to have your way with them? Pretty despicable.] I'm just not going to sit here and have panic mongering ideologues with an agenda [not necessarily you, definitely your sources] blow smoke up my ass about its actual rate of occurrence...
Maybe I’m a little too quick to accept the statistics, but considering the above sources and the apparently credible numbers – something like 200,000 rapes and sexual assaults per year in the US which is consistent with the numbers used in Justicar’s video and which you apparently accepted – it seems – at least based on the recent discussions about the probabilities for rape – that the previously stated “victimization percentage” of about 15% is not at all implausible. Although I have to admit to becoming a little more skeptical because, in part, I haven’t yet managed to find any data on the actual number of trials and convictions for rape and assault – the proverbial smoking guns. But I’m going to have to do a bunch more digging before coming down on one side of the fence or the other ....
Please don't forget about my objections on what actually passes as "rape" for the source they used in all of the bulleted points. [The CDC. I.E: Attempted rape and sex under the influence=rape. I'm a rapist by the latter, which is a definition I flatly *reject*.] And ALSO...that they're using a number for rape AND sexual assault [whose definition is much, much looser, and which undoubtedly covers a much lager number of incidents] and calling it all *rape*. This is very problematic.

What's great about how they get their numbers, is that they do not ask if you've been raped; they ask if you've engaged or had any of the following done to you. A ton of women responding to these surveys are unknowing being marked down as rape victims for admitting to *consensual sex* while under the influence.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I haven't raped anyone today. Yet.

it's only 11:58pm, though...
Let's hear that from Alicja... oh, she's a Gender Traitor, which only means your secrets are safe with her.

How are you feeling?
No, sorry to say, Ali didn't get any yesterday, as I was recovering and didn't have the stamina. Well, that's 2 minutes wasted!

Feeling better today. Those episodes suck, but this one was short enough. Thanks for the concern.

About that Pussy Riot video (hey they did say there was an orgy in there. Never miss a good orgy), I find it pretty weird that when they climbed on the tram, nobody was electrocuted by the catenary, especialy the guitarist with his guitar sticking upward. Was the power out?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tristan wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Spence wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Eh???
You have two mistakes in there, highlighted in red. n=2000 is not << 1/x (=100 in this case), and I don't know what you did to the bit in brackets - whether x is positive or negative, it should still just be (1-x)^n. If you take x=-0.01 and n = 20 (a combination which fits Spence's conditions fairly well), then:
1-(1-x)^n = -0.22
n*x = -0.2
... so whether x is positive or negative, the approximation holds.
(Yes you spotted a transcription error of a superfluous negative sign there.)

OK:- it seems that the error function relies partly on one's definition of "near zero", and "<<".
As these were not defined, I can assume them to be any reasonable interpretation thereof.
Nor was the range of 'n' defined, allowing negative exponents.

As a more realistic example, I offer:
x:=-0.0005 (close enough to zero, one would have thought!)
n:=-20000 {as (1/x=-2) (-20000<<-2 by any stretch of the imagination, unless you omitted the modulus¹ operator!)}

Yet still:
1 - (1 - x)^n = 0.999954
But:
n*x = 10,000!

An error of precisely 42 elebnty bazillion and a bit percent.
Even using numbers that conform EXTACTLY to the requirements, it STILL fails spectacular!!

(Sacha: Now you know how Penny feels in the Big Bang Theory?)

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

AndrewV69 wrote:The only reason I would hope that hell is real, would be because I would be certain the whole lot would be roasting in it for all eternity.
[youtube]dcUB_2g4PQU[/youtube]

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

From the people that brought you "This is Atheism +"

[youtube]kDOfnddpLyI[/youtube]

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Michael K Gray wrote: (Yes you spotted a transcription error of a superfluous negative sign there.)

OK:- it seems that the error function relies partly on one's definition of "near zero", and "<<".
As these were not defined, I can assume them to be any reasonable interpretation thereof.
Nor was the range of 'n' defined, allowing negative exponents.

As a more realistic example, I offer:
x:=-0.0005 (close enough to zero, one would have thought!)
n:=-20000 {as (1/x=-2) (-20000<<-2 by any stretch of the imagination, unless you omitted the modulus¹ operator!)}

Yet still:
1 - (1 - x)^n = 0.999954
But:
n*x = 10,000!

An error of precisely 42 elebnty bazillion and a bit percent.
Even using numbers that conform EXTACTLY to the requirements, it STILL fails spectacular!!

(Sacha: Now you know how Penny feels in the Big Bang Theory?)
OK, OK - you win (although I'll point out that 1/x = -2000 in your case. But it's a fairly hollow, pedantic victory (the best kind, I know) considering that the topic was statistical probability where n is the number of trials - and therefore must by definition be a positive integer.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tristan wrote:OK, OK - you win (although I'll point out that 1/x = -2000 in your case.
Oops! Mea culpa. Getting sloppy in my old age...
Tristan wrote:But it's a fairly hollow, pedantic victory (the best kind, I know) considering that the topic was statistical probability where n is the number of trials - and therefore must by definition be a positive integer.
The equation should have made this fact clear by liberal use of the modulus operator.
Petty, pointless and trivial? Absolutely!
But I had to justify my mathematician's immediate 'gut reaction' with some real math.
Mathematician's gizzard-to-brain-nerve should not be brusquely dismissed.
Such 'gut feelings' have guided many a discovery, Fermat with his last 'feeling' not least amongst them.
The same with Einstein's 'feeling' that the æther 'felt a bit wonky'.
If nothing else, it serves to tighten equations such that they satisfy the task required of them.
(Always look for 'corner cases', I say. It has done sterling service in mathematics, as well as algorithmic science.
When I programmed an Australian Naval Vessel's navigation system, I insisted that it traverse around the 0'0' region in the Gulf of Guinea in the armpit of Africa, and then its antipodes above Tuvalu in the Pacific to test the cases of where the hemispheres both changed at the same time. Corner cases. It worked, of course, as I had taken this into account, whereas previous programmers had not.)

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Saint N. wrote:From the people that brought you "This is Atheism +"

[youtube]kDOfnddpLyI[/youtube]
I love this guy! :clap:

I did my share of truck driving. Mostly while deployed, but enough over here in the states. I'm still friends with some of the men I deployed with. One time I was riding with one of them someplace, and witnesses one of those Pepsi delivery trucks pull off an u-turn: We looked at each other with smiles on our faces. Didn't even need to say a word. So I can really appreciate the skill that goes into driving large vehicles, and the aggravation caused by people on the road that make it more difficult than it needs to be because they are self-centered assholes.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Oh, and to whomsoever came up with the term "Jenstown" as the A+Thesim collective Nirvana, a Koala stamp to you, and an early minute.
Truly Inspired.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

ERV wrote:

But Abbie - surely she has to go in order to accumulate enough DRAMAAAA in order to write more on her blog...which she quit for almost a week and promised never to come back to...!

Drama outweighs environmentalism

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist the pun:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... d40604.jpg
Should have been the reverse, in fact. Dumb me!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Drama outweighs environmentalism
What is the official SI Unit for "Drama"?
A "Shakespeare"? an "Ophelia"? a "ReGreta"? a milliMyers?

Philip of Tealand

AndrewV69 wrote:
Or this one:
https://pretendbian.wordpress.com/2012/ ... m-reality/
These insane MALES are trying to erase us, women. They are actively working night and day to ERASE us from our shared language, from our laws, from the face of the earth.

They’re working night and day to erase our uteri.

They’re working night and day to erase our vaginas.

They’re working night and day to erase our breasts.

They’re working night and day to erase our vulvas.

They’re working night and day to erase our menstruation.

They’re working night and day to erase our childbirth.

They’re working night and day to erase our mothering.

They’re working night and day to erase our lactation.

They’re working night and day to erase our clitorises.

They’re working night and day to erase our bones.

They’re working night and day to erase our blood.

They’re working night and day to erase our genes.

They’re working night and day to erase our girlhoods.

They’re working night and day to erase our shared experiences with other women, our sisterhood, our empathy with females world-wide.

They’re working night and day to erase our female experiences.

They’re working night and day to erase our REALITY.

They’re working night and day to erase our EXISTENCE.

They are insisting that everyone on earth participate in their “gender” insanity, that half the human race be ERASED in order to pretend that all we are is an idea in some mentally disturbed man’s brain, his delusional fantasies about “subconsious gender” — that all we are is a PART of his unconscious.

Are you paying attention, women? Are you listening? Are you awake?

Fight back against this insanity before there’s nothing left to fight for.
*sheesh*
Fucking hell - when am I going to find time to do all THAT??

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Fucking hell - when am I going to find time to do all THAT??
A motivation to invent a working reTARDIS.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tristan wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Eh???
As we were talking about probabilities – the ratio of the number of individuals raped to the entire population [246,000 to 300 million = 0.00082] – x had to be a positive number between 0 and 1. And, as Tristan pointed out, the discussion was based on the number of years over which the total number of individuals who were raped was to be accumulated – 20 in the original case described. Which then translates into the number of trials – a positive integer greater than 1.

In which case, bringing in “the modulus operator”, negative probabilities and a negative number of trials [imaginary ones perchance?] qualifies, I would say, as a triumph of bafflegab, obfuscation and outright bullshit.

But then again, maybe all of that was due to you not actually reading my posts because they were hidden ....

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

[img]*expunged*[/img]

*HISS*

Put that thing behind a Trigger Warning gate or something next time! :x

Philip of Tealand

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:Drama outweighs environmentalism
What is the official SI Unit for "Drama"?
A "Shakespeare"? an "Ophelia"? a "ReGreta"? a milliMyers?
Good question, Shakespeare is obviously out, he wrote better drama in his sleep than anything McWrong can conjure up today

An Ophellia (Aka Nanny) but then again any drama created is not about you, its all about her!

A ReGreta is far too angry and you'll find yourself banning things far too easily so no more drama can be created

MilliMyers - nope, out of the question, the above already have his balls near the paper shredder, he does as they command

I'm thinking a "Watson" is a good measure - that splits atheist communities with few words - "Guys, don't do that!" is a great example where once there was a molehill of atoms that has now become Mount Everest

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Polls show that 97% of statistics are made up bullshit.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

JackRayner wrote:

[img]*expunged*[/img]

*HISS*

Put that thing behind a Trigger Warning gate or something next time! :x
Sorry :oops: