Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Tribble »

http://i.imgur.com/zFzuEsq.png

Sadly Caine, despite your claims there is nothing inherently racist about 'chief.'
n.
1. One who is highest in rank or authority; a leader.

2.a. A chief petty officer.
b. Nautical The chief engineer of a ship.

3. Slang A boss.
4. Heraldry The upper section of a shield.
5. The most important or valuable part.

adj.
1. Highest in rank, authority, or office.

2. Most important or influential. See Usage Note at absolute.
adv.
When I think it 'Chief' I don't' think of Indians. I think of ships and Chief Petty Officers. I think of police and the Chief of Police. I think of KP duty and being "Chief Bottle Washer" (as well as Latrine Queen). In your case Caine, I think of "Chief Asshole," as in leading, primary and/or biggest.

None of which has anything to do with any Indian blood you may have.

Also, why you have no de jure authority, as head pitchfork wielder in what passes for mob-pile-on-justice, you have de facto authority which you wield on a daily basis. And you're quite well aware of that. Even as you pretend you're just a helpless victim.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Oh Christ, has anyone posted this yet? :lol:
It's a music video made by the student union of Loughborough University.
At least that's what it claims to be. It's so bad, however, that a more likely explanation is that it's been made by students from another university to take the piss out of Loughborough.

[youtube]ZANlYjuQJ-4[/youtube]
Or hey're just trying to be the new Rebecca Black. There were a lot of immitators on the wake of the "Friday" video. "We cannot be popular because we have no talent for music, maybe we can get popular by sucking!"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Someone please tell the people in charge of the SJW future conventions to make this their instructional video:

[youtube]_LEJ6tZI7_k[/youtube]

Problem solved.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:So is this the "Death Threat"?
Does not look as if it was actually tweeted to the black swan (to me anyway).

Isn't that a Silence of the Lambs reference? Which I take to be a dig made about Svan being fat, because the female victims were fat in order to have plenty of skin for skinning.

Also, who is Lazy Savant?

Last, since it becomes clear that he's been blocked by Svan, et.al., how is it that they saw the tweet he made to one person without their obsessively following everything he says/does on twitter? At what point do they realize we can all see how obsessed they are with their drama-blogging lifestyle? And that all but the most dense will eventually catch-on and move away from the drama-filled A+ movement?

I've never seen such a group of idiots with so little shame in my life. They go out of their way to be insulted. To find those insults. To fill themselves, on a daily basis, with reinforcements to their perceived victim-hood like a dog eating its vomit.

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
Rebecca does not only know what a trebuchet is, she also can exactly tell you how fast it moves, what ressources you need to build one and how many attack points it has when you fire it upon a city.

Things that school or a college education won't teach you!

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Trebuchet_%28Civ5%29

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Gumby wrote:What @Lazy_Savant tweeted was pretty dumb. Not because it was a death threat - obviously it wasn't, only the intentional drama whores at FtB etc. pretend it is - but because it plays right into the infinitely dishonest victim narrative these dingbats flaunt. Zvan just took the lead in the persecution points game these pathetic bumblers are always playing. She's waddling around hoisting that tweet like a fucking trophy.
I think a worst crime is that it wasn't even funny. I'm ok with lots of bullshit as long as it's funny.

Regarding TSA at airports: I call bullshit on the whole thing. If it is meant to fend off terrorist attacks, why is it not implemented in train stations as well? Sure, you can't run a train into a building, but your average TGV carries about 1000 people at 360km/h. And there is no security check, anyone could board a fucking train with a fucking bomb in their backpack.

So, what's the catch?
Just ask someone from Madrid.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tribble wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So is this the "Death Threat"?
Does not look as if it was actually tweeted to the black swan (to me anyway).

Isn't that a Silence of the Lambs reference? Which I take to be a dig made about Svan being fat, because the female victims were fat in order to have plenty of skin for skinning.

Also, who is Lazy Savant?

Last, since it becomes clear that he's been blocked by Svan, et.al., how is it that they saw the tweet he made to one person without their obsessively following everything he says/does on twitter? At what point do they realize we can all see how obsessed they are with their drama-blogging lifestyle? And that all but the most dense will eventually catch-on and move away from the drama-filled A+ movement?

I've never seen such a group of idiots with so little shame in my life. They go out of their way to be insulted. To find those insults. To fill themselves, on a daily basis, with reinforcements to their perceived victim-hood like a dog eating its vomit.
It is obvious to everyone that it's a fat joke about Svan.
But obsessively trawling twitter to dredge up fat jokes about yourself doesn't quite carry the victim cred that can be generated by a single death threat, which is why they are playing up that rather tenuous angle of the tweet.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:
Analyzing mere pictures of a party that none of us has attended is not really very reliable, however, now that I take a closer look at the two pictures above, Shermer's body language fits the kind of guy who pushes too hard in flirting and hitting on women.

The first picture: He has his arm wrapped around her but we don't see her other hand and it seems it's dangling by her side, sandwiched between her and him. If true, it means she was not interested in "hugging him" (which would have been an implicit nod from her to escalate the level of intimacy). Also, there's a gap between Shermer and DJ and the picture doesn't look like a group photo.

The second picture: Shermer is now grabbing her very firmly and there is no way for her to get away unless she uses some level of physical force. Again, that's very consistent with a guy who hits heavily on women and who uses some level of "force" (typical examples are guys who don't let their target get away without some level of force; they hold her hand, or hold her in a tight embrace in dancing, etc.). And in this picture there is no group. There is "cover". If you look at this picture you see a couple and another guy who awkwardly stands away.

The combination of these two pictures is damning for Shermer. It shows that he had his arm wrapped around her for some time, at least long enough for two pictures in two different configurations to be taken. This in turn means that the wrapped arm was not done in a moment of "excitement" or "happiness" or any other reading that doesn't have sexual undertones. In other words, you can't say "Maybe he was happy to see her so he hugged her" or "they were just taking pictures and he was being friendly". On the other hand, I don't see any evidence that she reciprocated any of this.

So basically, I'm not rejecting any other reading of these pictures but I'm saying that the reading that is most consistent (at least in my opinion) is the one in which Shermer was heavily hitting on her against her obvious disinterest, and most likely with some level of force.
Ah, ha ha ha ha ha ha... That's your projection as you use rumor and innuendo to prove the supposed fact.

Here's the photos she posts of facebook: https://www.facebook.com/starstryder?sk=photos According to your analysis Neil DeGrasse Tyson is like that. Phil Plait is like that. All kinds of men and women I don't know from Adam are like that.

Hmmm.... Maybe something else is going on. Like a party/social occassion with some people who are touchy-feely extroverts and don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. And certain other people are NOT. And the NOT group, as they tend to do, lack both the awareness and social skills to understand it or avoid it.

Besides, Shermer prefers rabbits anyway:

http://blueollie.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =600&h=800

That makes as much sense as anything you posted.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Southern wrote:
Remick wrote: You and I agree. I just don't see the point in critizing a pentecostal type for playing golf sometimes. Go after him for conning people.

Same with Watson. Go after her, just don't be stupid about it.
Sure. What she does with her free time is not my problem - and besides, like I pointed out, I also spend my free time on videogames, and I'm no PZ Myers so I cannot #denounce her for something I do myself. I can, however, point out that her "free time" is kept artificially long by the virtue of not working and begging money for uninspired videos. And that I have a problem with, like a said a couple of times about a guy that does the same thing but on the opposite side of the room (The Amazing Atheist).

Of course, she's so lazy that she wasn't neither the first nor the more successful doing that; Anita Sarkeesian gobbled $120k for that.

Which was the point you and I both made. Had she gone to Disney World, I'd have said the same thing. Games/gaming had nothing to do with it. Being utterly lazy and flaunting it while other people support you after your 'poor me, pity-pot' begging fest is the issue.

In my book she's nothing more a low-talent, self-entitled Princess that doesn't even the grace to be circumspect regards the fact that she would rather beg for money than do anything 'beneath her station' like a dirty job. And I don't care if I 'offend her' by pointing this out, no matter who tries to concern troll me over an 'argument' I didn't make.

Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Tribble wrote:Really liked Gefan's new video.
Agreed, another very amusing video. Thank you Gefan. :clap:

I won't be able to add a comment on your channel , like I often do, as Goggle+ is needed now and that's not for me. :(

So be rewarded by my praise here. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment of the Historical Peezus saga, that was your best video so far.

Southern

Post by Southern »

So...

Making a distasteful Silence of the Lambs's reference = bad, awful, death threat.

Making a distasteful Cards Against Humanity reference = good fun.

Roger that. So I'll do a CAH reference in regards to Svan, right now! The rules:

1) I'll use the cards from the actual game (from http://www.cardsagainsthumanity.com/pdf ... inGame.pdf)
2) I'll chose a black card with a feminine reference on it, and change it "Stephania Svan". The remainder text will not be modified.
3) I'll then choose 10 (ten) white cards with the answers and you guys choose the best one. Again, no changing on the text from the actual game cards.

Black card:
"Maybe she Stephany Svan's born with it. Maybe it's _______________"

White card 1:
"Child abuse."

White card 2:
"Penis envy."

White card 3:
"Smegma."

White card 4:
"The placenta."

White card 5:
"Obesity."

White card 6:
"Leprosy."

White card 7:
"Menstrual rage."

White card 8:
"A brain tumor."

White card 9:
"Man meat."

White card 10:
"Being fat and stupid."

I hope she doesn't mind, because, according to BRAYTON (2013):
It's OK. It's a quote from Cards Against Humanity. The whole point is to be horrible.
Have a nice day, Stephie.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Oh Christ, has anyone posted this yet? :lol:
It's a music video made by the student union of Loughborough University.
At least that's what it claims to be. It's so bad, however, that a more likely explanation is that it's been made by students from another university to take the piss out of Loughborough.

[youtube]ZANlYjuQJ-4[/youtube]
YES! I saw this last night (incidentally it was the ever amusing and infamous @LazySavant on Twitter who shared it).
Look at the comments. Only 27 of them and one of them is from Adam Buxton (I checked the account and it's actually him!!!! *SQUEE!*).

Brilliant video. I've been singing it all morning.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

justinvacula

This weekend...

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/a86tg1q.jpg
c/o Strawkins

I will be travelling to attend the 2013 November 8-10 Pennsylvania Counseling Association conference in State College, Pennsylvania with fellow Marywood University students to advance my graduate-level academic pursuits and report via Twitter, Facebook, and Brave Hero Radio on my trusty laptop.

http://justinvacula.com/2013/11/08/penn ... reporting/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Bjarte Headcase

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bjarte Headcase.
That's genius.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ah, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... That was damn good. Loved the frozen peas tie in.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:Caine: stop being a moderator - problem goes away.

"Wait, umm, no"
S/h/it/chief can be a mod here, if s/h/it/chief wants.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Orwellia has a post up about the Columbine High School killers.
The article I’m reading in Slate is from 2004, and it’s about what the FBI ended up concluding about why Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris shot up Columbine High School. It wasn’t because they were bullied; they weren’t. Klebold was depressed and suicidal, and Harris was a psychopath.
Says she is interested in psychopathy.

You can leave it to her commentariat to read between the lines and to connect the dots.
Die-in-a-fire Wowbagger, Designated Snarker wrote:
And yet a group of people wonder why we recoil in horror when one of the leaders of that group ‘jokes’ about making a suit out of the skin of one of our friends, and why we want to distance ourselves from them for endorsing such behaviour.
Yes, DIAF Wowbagger is that hypocritical.
And yet a group of people wonder why we recoil in horror when one of the leaders of that group ‘jokes’ about wanting someone to die in a fire, and why we want to distance ourselves from them for endorsing such behaviour.
In addition, since when is a random Twitter user who doesn't even post on the 'Pit "one of the leaders of that group"? The 'Pit doesn't have and doesn't need leaders.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-klebold/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Southern wrote:So...

Making a distasteful Silence of the Lambs's reference = bad, awful, death threat.

Making a distasteful Cards Against Humanity reference = good fun.

Roger that. So I'll do a CAH reference in regards to Svan, right now! The rules:

1) I'll use the cards from the actual game (from http://www.cardsagainsthumanity.com/pdf ... inGame.pdf)
2) I'll chose a black card with a feminine reference on it, and change it "Stephania Svan". The remainder text will not be modified.
3) I'll then choose 10 (ten) white cards with the answers and you guys choose the best one. Again, no changing on the text from the actual game cards.

Black card:
"Maybe she Stephany Svan's born with it. Maybe it's _______________"

White card 1:
"Child abuse."

White card 2:
"Penis envy."

White card 3:
"Smegma."

White card 4:
"The placenta."

White card 5:
"Obesity."

White card 6:
"Leprosy."

White card 7:
"Menstrual rage."

White card 8:
"A brain tumor."

White card 9:
"Man meat."

White card 10:
"Being fat and stupid."

I hope she doesn't mind, because, according to BRAYTON (2013):
It's OK. It's a quote from Cards Against Humanity. The whole point is to be horrible.
Have a nice day, Stephie.
Pixellated bukkake
Elf cum

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Jan Steen wrote: In addition, since when is a random Twitter user who doesn't even post on the 'Pit "one of the leaders of that group"? The 'Pit doesn't have and doesn't need leaders.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-klebold/
This is why I find concern trolling in the movement (especially the Pit) to be so pointless when it comes to dealing with Skepchick/FTB criticisms made by us or others. The only appropriate course of actoin for us is to 'shut up' and/or 'go die in a fire' depending on the asshole-level of the FTB/Skepchick poster.

A guy makes a fat joke and the 'ever searching for drama' FTB crowd turns it into a death threat and the 'Pit is linked. Despite the fact that the 'Pit had nothing to do with it and it's a FAT JOKE.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@Strawkins
In the shitty university video have you seen the lass at 1:47?
What is going on with her eyes? Cocaine?

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Tribble wrote:Hmmm.... Maybe something else is going on. Like a party/social occassion with some people who are touchy-feely extroverts and don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. And certain other people are NOT. And the NOT group, as they tend to do, lack both the awareness and social skills to understand it or avoid it.
I love it when people rail again speculations by calling them "rumor" and "innuendos" and then proceed to offer their own :lol:.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
German LurkBoatsman wrote:Wow, new PopSci article is out:
http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/unpo ... n-invaders

I tried, but I can't bring myself to describe the pure inanity of the article. Summarize one HuffPo article, copy-paste some HuffPo comments for the lulz, put on your worried face for serious issues for one sentence because you're such a serious, serious person. Add two lame jokes. Done.

Rebecca Watson, science communication genius.

Ah, forgot: copy a picture from flickr despite its "no-commercial use" license.
These sort of articles should at least try to teach people something they didn't already know. The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
Play some video games.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:@Strawkins
In the shitty university video have you seen the lass at 1:47?
What is going on with her eyes? Cocaine?
At least the next girl did something positive to disprove those racist assumptions about black girls being great singers.
Imagine having your name linked to that video and it being your top hit on google!
You'd be inclined to release a sex tape, just to lower the embarrassment level!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Although most of the people concerned are block-botted, don't forget that the usual lickspittles patrol twitter.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Sulaco wrote:The DoE (I think) also conducted a test to see if a reactor cooling tower could survive the impact of a plane. So they rammed and old F4 into one. Great footage, the plane basically disintegrated on impact. I think I watched this on Nova on PBS years ago and the test was done in the 70's.
I seriously doubt that.

First off, I like to joke that if terrorists crash a plane into a nuclear power plant they would surely go for the cooling tower. a) it's the biggest target, b) many people seem to confuse the cooling tower with the power plant, c) the effect of doing that is basically zilch or nada. Sure, the plant would auto-shutdown and cooling would be somewhat compromised, but that's basically it as long as everybody at the site knows their shit.

I'm not aware of any experiment with F4s on real cooling towers. There were tests with ramming them into massive concrete walls and observing the damage/calculating the impact force. Here's an example:

[youtube]xM8E-CogkYE[/youtube]

The parts that produce the apparent 'pulverization' effect is mainly the fuselage. The main impact on the other hand is shelled out by the engine. At airplane speed that's a dense block of heavy metal that can go thru a lot of stuff including concrete walls. It would almost for sure go through the walls of a cooling tower because they aren't that thick as they don't have to be.

The main thing is if the reactor building would withstand an impact. If not, you'd have a release of some radioactivity really fast and, depending on the amount and type of secondary damages, maybe a catastrophic release of fission materials.

Now, the reactor buildings do have thick concrete walls but if they can withstand the damage done by a plane crash is really in doubt. Most commercial reactors today would probably withstand an F4 but not necessarily an A380. American authorities tend to be optimistic what their reactors can withstand, German authorities seem to be more pessimistic.

As for the 1970s and 9/11 style attacks, German reactors were tested then if the could withstand kamikaze like attacks from F4, but no one seems to have thought about captured commercial planes.
Ya, that was the footage. I just thought it was pretty neat to see a plane go splat, not that "the terrorists" are going to do this. The conversation jogged my memory about the footage. I'll be more clear in the future.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:
Tribble wrote:Hmmm.... Maybe something else is going on. Like a party/social occassion with some people who are touchy-feely extroverts and don't have a problem with that kind of stuff. And certain other people are NOT. And the NOT group, as they tend to do, lack both the awareness and social skills to understand it or avoid it.
I love it when people rail again speculations by calling them "rumor" and "innuendos" and then proceed to offer their own :lol:.

Right. Let me highlight a certain qualifier in the rhetorical phrase since you're too busy trolling instead of thinking.

That whole word 'MAYBE' is a big fucking clue. While YOU were clearly advocating a definite mode of behavior, I was highlighting one of many prosaic, common possibilities. All without pretending I, through my fucking Ninja Photo Analysis Skill, actually knew what was going on.

Your analysis, stupid and shallow as it was, was predicated on the accepted truth of Michael Shermer, Potential Date Rapist allegations about his conduct. I'm merely pointing ONE of MANY possible generic human interaction interpretations that don't rely on Michael Shermer being a Potential Date Rapist.

I also showed that this very same behavior was commonly engaged in by other members of the community as shown in her Facebook albums. Yet you gave us the in-depth (idiotic) analysis of Michael Shermer, Potential DAte Rapist interpretation. All you left out was refilling wine glasses.

Your analysis was childish and idiotic. And I'm done talking about it since you're clearly going to run down the rabbit hole. (That's a fucking metaphor.)

Southern

Post by Southern »

Gefan, your Bjarte Foshaug video is awesome. Thank you for the laughs!

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

@Tribble:

Oh my, those are some big red letters, they almost made me miss those bold black ones. Anyways, I assure you I didn't miss your "maybe". In fact, that's why I called it speculation. Your reaction is still funny though since I also used a similar language of doubt and uncertainty.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

http://i.imgur.com/sg90Q0N.png
Aneris wrote:@Service Dog... it might be hipster ironic, still WTF!?
The wording of your reply brings to mind the SJW term "hipster racism" or "ironic racism", as touted by Lindy West at Jezebel:

http://jezebel.com/5905291/a-complete-g ... ter-racism

Likewise:

At best, the SJWs are looking for Easy Answers: a Zero Tolerance prohibition on certain words and images, to spare themselves the Cognitive Dissonance of acknowledging that Competing Values come with trade-off costs. (sacrificing Freedom for Security, for example.)

At worst, the SJWs are intentionally spinning a web of nonsensical Gotcha rules; so their political opponents will be in perpetual violation.

I think blatantly violating their social rulemaking, and sticking-around to defend my questionable choices, is an effective strategy.

All this SJW political correctness is just an attempt to dress-up the same old smallmindedness in a guise of high-mindedness.

As always, I cite Paul Fussell's book "Class",
https://web.archive.org/web/20040313073 ... status.htm

I agree with Fussell's opinion: aversion to rude words (and to Art containing pointed jabs) is specific to the middle-class. The upper and lower class speak forthrightly, without histronics. Concerned PTA Mothers shouldn't be tacitly empowered to decide which epithets Other People are allowed to use, any more than they should decide whether Evolution is allowed in schools.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Southern wrote:Gefan, your Bjarte Foshaug video is awesome. Thank you for the laughs!
True dat.
"As funny as a burning orphanage, for a moment I thought it was upside down"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Service Dog wrote:http://i.imgur.com/sg90Q0N.png
Aneris wrote:@Service Dog... it might be hipster ironic, still WTF!?
The wording of your reply brings to mind the SJW term "hipster racism" or "ironic racism", as touted by Lindy West at Jezebel:

Likewise:

At best, the SJWs are looking for Easy Answers: a Zero Tolerance prohibition on certain words and images, to spare themselves the Cognitive Dissonance of acknowledging that Competing Values come with trade-off costs. (sacrificing Freedom for Security, for example.)

At worst, the SJWs are intentionally spinning a web of nonsensical Gotcha rules; so their political opponents will be in perpetual violation.

I think blatantly violating their social rulemaking, and sticking-around to defend my questionable choices, is an effective strategy.

All this SJW political correctness is just an attempt to dress-up the same old smallmindedness in a guise of high-mindedness.

As always, I cite Paul Fussell's book "Class",
https://web.archive.org/web/20040313073 ... status.htm

I agree with Fussell's opinion: aversion to rude words (and to Art containing pointed jabs) is specific to the middle-class. The upper and lower class speak forthrightly, without histronics. Concerned PTA Mothers shouldn't be tacitly empowered to decide which epithets Other People are allowed to use, any more than they should decide whether Evolution is allowed in schools.
Bravo, sir/madam. I give you my enthusiastic agreement.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
These sort of articles should at least try to teach people something they didn't already know. The only new thing I learned from this one was the meaning of the word trebuchet - a medieval war catapult - and even then I had to google it myself, there was no explanation or link to an explanation and I'm guessing it is not a word that everyone knows.
You'd never heard of a trebuchet before? What kind of monsters were your parents??? Why, we were building those in our backyard and launching chunks of concrete at the neighbors by the time we were 12 :D

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

jet_lagg wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
You'd never heard of a trebuchet before? What kind of monsters were your parents??? Why, we were building those in our backyard and launching chunks of concrete at the neighbors by the time we were 12 :D
I've clearly lived a deprived childhood!
The thing is, 'trebuchet' is not exactly a common word and yet Watson used it twice within that article without a link or explanation for those of us who didn't have an upbringing that involved attacking medieval fortresses with giant stone- flinging catapults.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Service Dog wrote: The wording of your reply brings to mind the SJW term "hipster racism" or "ironic racism", as touted by Lindy West at Jezebel:

LOL. Nope, you couldn't have guessed. It turns out covering rap songs is racist!!!!

lurktard

Post by lurktard »

Non-horrible persons use the word "catapult".

People using "trebuchet" belong on a terrorist profiling list. Better safe than sorry.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Trophy wrote:
Service Dog wrote: The wording of your reply brings to mind the SJW term "hipster racism" or "ironic racism", as touted by Lindy West at Jezebel:

LOL. Nope, you couldn't have guessed. It turns out covering rap songs is racist!!!!
Daaaayum. Then surely Crommunist singing "Don't look back in anger" is racist too?
[youtube]-WM_hi4RLUk[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Two things:

1. Caine is not a mod, more a chief tattle-tail, or playground sneak.
2. Someone has just created an account with the name "Chris Rodda." Welcome.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?

Huehuehue

Post by Huehuehue »

jet_lagg wrote:So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?
My take is she is deliberately intellectually dishonest. I generally refrain from saying things like "it's too far gone" but having a productive dialogue with Ophelia would be surprising.

Your mileage may vary though.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

jet_lagg wrote:So, I've been in semi-regular communication with Ophelia Benson since I arrived here. What's the general sentiment about her? Does anyone think it would be possible to come to terms? Are we too far gone for that?
LOL. Mate, did you arrive with the last raincloud? Where have you been for the past 2 years?
Speaking for myself I wouldn't even WANT to "come to terms" with somebody like Ophelia Benson.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Huehuehue wrote:
My take is she is deliberately intellectually dishonest. I generally refrain from saying things like "it's too far gone" but having a productive dialogue with Ophelia would be surprising.

Your mileage may vary though.
It would be a major loss of comedy material, fer sure!

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Silly Tony. I thought we had already covered the fact that black people can't be racist. The open question is what happens if a Mexican/American raps? :think:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

I recall a c. 1979 issue of Scientific American with a feature on a trebuchet built in the UK that lobbed a Cooper Mini.

That was back before SciAm turned into Newsweek.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

My sentiment is that she's getting too old and senile. Nobody can go on forever and there's a time for retirement and stuff and for Ophelia that time was two years ago.

Southern

Post by Southern »

After Bjarte Foshaulg? She helped to kill comedy. OPHELIA YOU MONSTER!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

We've always been at war with Eastasia

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tony Parsehole wrote: LOL. Mate, did you arrive with the last raincloud?
You Europeans and your weird expressions ;)

Anyway, I've been ignoring it basically. It was surprisingly easy to do. I heard about A+ and liked the idea. I heard about slymepit and figured the accusations (trolls and sociopaths, they'll die off from boredom soon) were true. I honestly didn't care enough to check as I figured it was to be some short lived internet drama (which I couldn't give two shits about). Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.
More like a lols engine.

But its main purpose is documenting the lies, dishonesty, evasion, hypocrisy, and rewriting of history that the FC(n), Skeptwats, A+Theist, Carrier Bag, La-Den, &c. ad nauseum, get up to. And that's GOOD LOLLIN'!

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Lsuoma wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.
More like a lols engine.

But its main purpose is documenting the lies, dishonesty, evasion, hypocrisy, and rewriting of history that the FC(n), Skeptwats, A+Theist, Carrier Bag, La-Den, &c. ad nauseum, get up to. And that's GOOD LOLLIN'!
The Bjarte comics are legendary. This is true.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Does Ophelia know that you're a contributor here? It seems to me that any terms would be fairly one-sided. Like the saying goes, "a leopard can't change it's spots." I'd personally need a little more info, any chance we could be privy to some of these communications?

Also, I've never seriously considered that you might be Carrier. Ool0n, though... :o

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

jet_lagg wrote:

Anyway, I've been ignoring it basically. It was surprisingly easy to do. I heard about A+ and liked the idea. I heard about slymepit and figured the accusations (trolls and sociopaths, they'll die off from boredom soon) were true. I honestly didn't care enough to check as I figured it was to be some short lived internet drama (which I couldn't give two shits about). Unfortunately, it appears a veritable drama engine has been constructed.
Aye. I love the drama though; I never used to but as it's went on this great divide has been the most internet fun I've had since...Well, since I found out that typing "soapy tits" into google would make loads of pictures magically appear.
I never want the rift to end.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

jet_lagg wrote:

For me this video is a fairly accurate representation of the relationship of the FTB/A+ universe and the pit:

[youtube]_Hh4M4vipAo[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
More like a lols engine.

There are way too many laughs to give it all up.
I'm not just talking about the Photoshops, or Gefan's videos, or the quips and witty one-liners. I love the little things; like Caine trying to convince everybody she's a Native American and PZ Myers' over-hyped book being a collection of old blogposts. Things like that just make me very happy indeed.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

jet_lagg wrote:

It's because they're so deeply amusing in their willingness to take offence at just about anything; less amusing are the unsubtle attempts to use the platform as leverage for speaking gigs via coordinated takedowns of scepticism personalities, but that's another story.

A good sanity check is to go to A+ and FTB and read the comments. You can find people saying similar things in both places, but there are uncommon elements; there's little or no consensus here, it is very much an open forum. it would be true to say that the Slymepit is completely misrepresented by the critics, but the Slymepit certainly has the measure of those critics.

As for not caring enough to check, well, that's not true, is it? You're hardly the first to say it, but ultimately, you are here.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

If anybody hasn't yet typed "soapy tits" into Google images I suggest you do so right now.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Lsuoma wrote:
More like a lols engine.

These are noble aims. Shouldn't someone let Damion know?

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

prediction: she would treat it precisely as honestly and it would be precisely as productive as zvan's involvement in http://atheistskepticdialogue.com/

someone else perhaps has her glory quote. i can only get so far as welch saying
because Zvan straight-up admitted what we already knew: she had no intention of actually trying to communicate. She just wanted to show the other side was intellectually dishonest.