Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Hunt »

Ape+lust wrote:
John D wrote:
German LurkBoatsman wrote:Pamela Gay's 2012 TAM talk she writes about is here:

The raves for that speech were pretty much unanimous in Baboonland, it was the must-see moment of TAM 2012. So, now I've seen it.

It's a sermon. A freaking sermon, even excluding the harassment drama. You, her, and everyone she knows is incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing. You can do incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing stuff, so don't let anyone tell you you're not incredible, awesome, fantastic, and amazing. She turned nearly 40 minutes of a skeptics conference into a boring Amway rally and they loved it.

I swear, I could tapdance and fart for 30 minutes, and as long as I gave them their empowerment strokes they'd think I was brilliant.
You're right, even minus anything about harassment, it was the Valedictorian speech at graduation. I haven't sat through something that boring since the end of high school.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

"Trigger warning for ableism, bullying, repeated ignoring of people with disabilities, and hostility to accessibility."

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 085#p97085

Thanks for warning me for "hostility to accessibility". I don't think I could have handled the shock of encountering such hostility without advance warning. I'm better prepared now; I have the spoons for it as you people say. But what if I'm triggered by trigger warnings?

Trigger warning: trigger warning

Nah, that wouldn't work.

Fuck, I need a trigger warning for PC language.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Meanwhile, the naive north European is about to be careened on the highway for questing the ontology of ass grabbing harassment. Too bad they don't know what is about to hit them. This is going to be ugly.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-715607

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Bjarte Foshaug is practising some obscure form of "alternative comedy" where the lack of humour is (supposed to be) humorous.

There's literally nothing in the random sentences plastered over the same shitty stick-man image over and over again that could be described as even a vague nod to comedy. Even the Wingdings and emoticons seem strategically placed to make the text cluttered and confusing.
Bjarte Foshaug cartoons are anti-humour. The polar opposite of funny.
If Foshaug's "comedy" could be conceptualised in a single image (other than a stick-man at a computer) it would be an exploded view of a Ford Granada's engine:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OwyLCT1bmRA/T ... haynes.jpg
Careful. You know Opehlia's lurking. She'll see that engine drawing and split her sides laughing.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gefan wrote:
Careful. You know Opehlia's lurking. She'll see that engine drawing and split her sides laughing.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/1072 ... 59a7_c.jpg

German LurkBoatsman

Post by German LurkBoatsman »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Bjarte Foshaug cartoons are anti-humour. The polar opposite of funny.
If Foshaug's "comedy" could be conceptualised in a single image (other than a stick-man at a computer) it would be an exploded view of a Ford Granada's engine:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OwyLCT1bmRA/T ... haynes.jpg
I smiled at crankshaft.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

bhoytony wrote:I'm pretty sure I must be the only person on the internet without PTSD.
I think a nice, aged hard cheese is actually protective against internet PTSD. Spot of red and you're absolutely immune.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
I smiled at crankshaft.
Not thrust washer?

AnonymousCowherd

Or protect her from competing with people who got, and deserved, an A? I won't say A+.

Bullshit.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

"Engine mounting to crossmember"

Well, I do declare. There's no call for that.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Gefan wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/1072 ... 59a7_c.jpg
Viscous satire.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

I was looking at some Skepchick photos on Flickr and found this one of Amanda Marcotte trying to look seductive:
MarcottageCheeseDischarge.jpg
(61.36 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
The thing is, what's that expression on Phil Plait's face? Is it lust? Disgust? I just can't decide.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Suet Cardigan wrote:I was looking at some Skepchick photos on Flickr and found this one of Amanda Marcotte trying to look seductive:
The thing is, what's that expression on Phil Plait's face? Is it lust? Disgust? I just can't decide.
There needs to be a thought bubble from the guy saying "what the fuck is she doing"

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Suet Cardigan wrote:I was looking at some Skepchick photos on Flickr and found this one of Amanda Marcotte trying to look seductive:
All I see is Tom Cruise mouth-frotting a lasses arm.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

You see how hard it is to replicate Bjarte's "absence of comedy"?
Even an annotated, monotone picture of a car engine is funnier than the shit he comes out with.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

"When charismatic satnd-up comedian Bjarte Foshaug was bitten by a pair of radioactive grey corduroy trousers he transformed into SPECTACULARLY UNFUNNY MAN!!"

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

And is it her own hand she's eating or someone else's?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

It looks like that lady is trying to gnaw her arm off in a desperate attempt to escape his company.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ianfc wrote:A day in the trenchs for a SJ Warrior though I'm a little sympathetic
Dalillama, Schmott Guy

6 November 2013 at 3:59 pm (UTC -6)

Fucking Hell!!!! Something’s gong wrong with my unemploymeny benefits, and I haven’t gotten them this week, and after waitng 3 fucking hours to talk to someone, they transferred me to a voicemail queue.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-715484
Finally, a SJW problem that I can relate to. Not that I'm currently unemployed, but it happens to people from time to time - and the worst thing for your head is having your unemplyment benefits cut off for some bureaucratic bullshit while you're still looking ofr something else. I choose to believe that this is the case for Dalilama, and not the easy pick target.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tony Parsehole wrote:You see how hard it is to replicate Bjarte's "absence of comedy"?
Even an annotated, monotone picture of a car engine is funnier than the shit he comes out with.
I don't think all of those parts consented to penetrate and be penetrated by the other parts. I smell rape. Not to mention, forced rape victims. That crankshaft is totally an ogvorbis-style forced rapist.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

If she keeps eating her hand she's not going to be hungry for lunch.

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:You know, if we could all collectively migrate away from Google, that'd be great.

The new youtube update is here. This one forces you to be signed in to google+ in order to comment, seems to remove the thumbs up/thumbs down comment features (sometimes, it may also be a bug), and forces you to manually select the option if you want comments to be sorted with the newest appearing first.

Youtube can kiss my ass. They're becoming more and more like a standard cable company, or maybe more like Xbox Live. Ads out the ass, no features or customization options and obnoxious updates that you must accept, or you cannot use your youtube account anymore.

[youtube]VVDAk0eK2Wo[/youtube]
Oh, I hated that "forcing you to have a google+" thing. Assholes, I don't want your stupid failure of a social network - In fact I don't want ANY social network whatsoever. That wasn't what made you big, you're becoming exactly like fucking Microsoft and their "shove IE with the operational system with no option to uninstall it", and you all can go fuck yourselves with that shit.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Tony Parsehole wrote:"When charismatic satnd-up comedian Bjarte Foshaug was bitten by a pair of radioactive grey corduroy trousers he transformed into SPECTACULARLY UNFUNNY MAN!!"
But which shade of grey were they!? #808080 or #7F7F7F? As we've learned from the great man himself, there's a whole rainbow of grey.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

That's not Phil Plait - it's George Hrab.
They look very similar but Plait is hairier.

Here's Plait, being respectful to women (incidently at the same party that Pamela Gay almost got groped!)

http://i.imgur.com/Yul9AP0.jpg

(To protect the anonymity of the poor woman in that incident, I've obscured her face with another image chosen for it's emotional neutrality, that of Janet Leigh in 'Psycho')

Michael K Gray

Bfarte Fauxshag

Post by Michael K Gray »

Best Bfarte Fauxshag Cartoon ever, as voted by O'Feelya Bentsome:
http://www.michaelgray.com.au/Resources/BestBjarte.jpg
O'Feelya wrote:HA! Ha! HA! Ha! HA! Ha! HA! Ha! HA! Ha! HA! Ha!
A social-justice riot.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

At the same party, another shocking chest groping incident!

http://i.imgur.com/SpMu7zi.jpg

Poor Phil - you see the PTSD kicking in.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Southern wrote:
ianfc wrote:A day in the trenchs for a SJ Warrior though I'm a little sympathetic
Dalillama, Schmott Guy

6 November 2013 at 3:59 pm (UTC -6)

Fucking Hell!!!! Something’s gong wrong with my unemploymeny benefits, and I haven’t gotten them this week, and after waitng 3 fucking hours to talk to someone, they transferred me to a voicemail queue.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-715484
Finally, a SJW problem that I can relate to. Not that I'm currently unemployed, but it happens to people from time to time - and the worst thing for your head is having your unemplyment benefits cut off for some bureaucratic bullshit while you're still looking ofr something else. I choose to believe that this is the case for Dalilama, and not the easy pick target.
Yup, same here. When I used to get benefits, it was a fucking pain in the arse to deal with those delays and administrative bullshit. Thankfuly, I don't get benefits anymore, so I know I'm poor without the worries of paperwork.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Jan Steen wrote:"Trigger warning for ableism, bullying, repeated ignoring of people with disabilities, and hostility to accessibility."

Thanks for warning me for "hostility to accessibility". I don't think I could have handled the shock of encountering such hostility without advance warning. I'm better prepared now; I have the spoons for it as you people say. But what if I'm triggered by trigger warnings?

Trigger warning: trigger warning

Nah, that wouldn't work.

Fuck, I need a trigger warning for PC language.
True story. A little while back PZ Myers e-mailled me and told me to fuck off. I thought I would respect the message of his communication whilst entirely ignoring the spirit. I tried to devise a way of annoying him that did not involve contacting him directly.

Atheist Ireland were hosting Empowering Women Through Secularism and Myers was on the panel to speak. I devised a quiz about the anal rape culture that Myers' blog used to be so happy to expouse and sent it off to all the other panelists.

A few of the panelists did get back in touch with me, including one who felt that my material should include a trigger warning. I wrote back with my honest answer which was that I didn't know how to construct one and that if she could offer assistance I would try to write one. She asked me not to contact her again, so the matter was dropped.

Seeing Jan's comment above reminded to try to look up where the phrase "Trigger warning" has come from. Presumably with all these skeptics bandying it around as best practice it is backed up by tons of research and lots of trial data as to how to make the best one. I found the only site willing to give a definition was that well known peer reviewed journal 'Urban Dictionary'.

As a serious question, is anyone aware of how or where the term "trigger warning" came into existence? Is it just a piece of SJW mythology, or has someone actually offered this up as a proper response to a real problem?

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:At the same party, another shocking chest groping incident!

http://i.imgur.com/SpMu7zi.jpg

Poor Phil - you see the PTSD kicking in.
LOL. The location of the other lady's hands are left to your imagination...

Michael K Gray

Re: Bleeding from the Slavehole

Post by Michael K Gray »

Southern wrote:Finally, a SJW problem that I can relate to. Not that I'm currently unemployed, but it happens to people from time to time - and the worst thing for your head is having your unemplyment benefits cut off for some bureaucratic bullshit while you're still looking ofr something else. I choose to believe that this is the case for Dalilama, and not the easy pick target.
That is a phenomenon totally foreign to those who are self-employed.
Vis: Not wage-slaves.
Totalise that barge, elevator that bail.

Yes, I am a minor Libertarian on that count.
I have been "employed" for 3 months, and just HAD to escape.
I have been my own boss ever since.
(~40 years)

I never ceases to amuse me when wage-slaves (employees) complain bitterly about how the company for whom they slave are "not doing it right"! They flail-about, giving suggestion after suggestion about how their employer could be running THEIR business in a superior fashion for the employees.
Well, if you know better, then why don't you do what they did, and establish a company at your own financial risk and prove them wrong, rather that simply complaining about it to anyone who will listen, and many who don't?
Mortgage your house, sell your first-born to Mephistopheles, and see what it is like from "the other side of the coin".

AnonymousCowherd

ReneeHendricks wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Sigh. PTSD from the Internet. Probably the most pathetic thing I've heard people self-diagnose themselves with in a very, very long time. Pssst.
You need to read more Caine:

http://i.imgur.com/f0Fwbjc.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-713446
All I can think is WTF? My brain actually cramped reading that.
I can do that with our TV. I just won't let anyone else use the remote.

AnonymousCowherd

Ape+lust wrote:A happy confluence of links explains Ophelia's appreciation of Bjartetoons.

http://i.imgur.com/oe0t0tq.png
I think it is becoming clear that the pit is the audience they play to most - the baboons are a given, and no-one else gives a shit. We bag them, Oaphie has to "respond". If this keeps up we'll be setting their whole blogging agenda.

It is to laugh.

AnonymousCowherd

Tony Parsehole wrote:Yeah....
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/1072 ... a6eb7e.jpg
That works.
Hasn't that photo just captured the moment that someone else's echt bitchslap connected with Marcott's gob? Glasses dude looks like he's taking notes.

Tony Parsehole

Re: Bfarte Fauxshag

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Michael K Gray wrote:Best Bfarte Fauxshag Cartoon ever, as voted by O'Feelya Bentsome:
A social-justice riot.
See? Even that is funnier than the original Foshaug's.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Apples

Post by Apples »

Gumby wrote:LeftSidePositive makes sure Chris Rodda's recent Helen Keller joke is properly shamed at the A+forum:

LSP, of course, is the shitstain fembot wingnut who let Paul Loebe drive her to shrieking distraction in fine style.
Sun Countess wrote: How hard is it, really, to see when humor is punching down and when it's punching up?
Yes, how hard is it, really? Stupid, sanctimonious fucks. Helen Keller jokes are "punching up" jokes. She wasn't some random, tragic deaf-and-blind person -- she is a world-famous American saint who graduated from Radcliffe, published a dozen books, and had a beloved play and film made about her. She's like an American Gandhi -- permanently glued to the pedestal. Jokes about Helen Keller's being a blithering idiot are funny because she was in fact so brilliantly accomplished. Irony - how the fuck does it work?

AnonymousCowherd

Dick Strawkins wrote:
That's not Phil Plait - it's George Hrab.
They look very similar but Plait is hairier.

Here's Plait, being respectful to women (incidently at the same party that Pamela Gay almost got groped!)

http://i.imgur.com/Yul9AP0.jpg

(To protect the anonymity of the poor woman in that incident, I've obscured her face with another image chosen for it's emotional neutrality, that of Janet Leigh in 'Psycho')
For crying out loud...won't someone start a fundraiser to buy these guys a decent shirt. We won't even talk about the pants.
Because they are complete.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Jan Steen wrote:
How can you tell he 'refuted' the criticism when you don't understand the maths?
Because I do understand the math. As Carrier has pointed out. It doesn't take anything beyond a six grade understanding. The rest is learning about application and the underlying logic.

The following citation from Carriers reply will cause all mathematically literate people to fall from their chairs howling with laughter.
I readily concede that my colloquial discourse will lead to ambiguities that chafe at mathematicians; but this is precisely the kind of shit they need to get over, because they are simply not going to be able to communicate with people in the humanities if they don’t learn how to strategically use ambiguity to increase the intelligibility of the concepts they want to relate.

It’s like Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle: you can have precision with unintelligibility to almost everyone but extremely erudite specialists, or you can have ambiguity but with intelligibility to everyone else. The more ambiguity, the greater the clarity, but the lower the precision. This is a fundamental principle of all nonfiction literature, especially any popularization of scientific or mathematical concepts to a nonscientific, nonmathematical public.
[/quote]

Considering his book was peer reviewed by a professional mathematician specializing in bayes, and the two mathematicians he was discussing this with didn't fall over laughing, your point is obviously refuted. You appear to prefer sarcasm to logic (i.e. even if most mathematicians did fall over laughing, that doesn't demonstrate Carrier is wrong about that one point, let alone that he's wrong about every point he makes in the book).
Jan Steen wrote: Look, if historians want to use mathematics in their research they will have to learn actual mathematics; not Carriers sloppy, informal stuff that is loaded with ambiguity. There is no royal road to mathematics.
The book teaches actual mathematics. The application is different than what mathematicians are used to, because they're being used in a different field for different purposes. Anyway, I think we're done here.

If you reply, try actually engaging with the logic of the threads I directed your toward (or something from the actual book).

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Guest wrote: Carrier begins his defense by claiming that all the criticism that he has ever heard, EVER, about his theory, can be addressed by 'read the book' or 'read the book more carefully'.

He ends stating how he's not impressed with any of this criticism, after a typical long-winded tour de farce describing that he couldn't possibly be wrong, because reasons.

How do you see him treating criticism of his scholarship seriously there? He also doesn't adjust his positions; he begins and ends with saying all the criticism of him ever is wrong.

You're sure you're not the Dick Carrier?
I'm pretty sure I'm not Dick Carrier, but I've been wrong about things in the past. ;)

Anyway, if you think Carrier is an arrogant fuck (you're definitely not alone if that's what you think), I'm not going to argue about that with you. Just not interested in that conversation.

Meanwhile you haven't actually shown he doesn't take criticism seriously. The fact that he took the time to summarize and refute the criticism (rather than just ignoring it or handwaving it away) shows that he takes it seriously. The tone he does it in is irrelevant to me, and I think it should be to you as well. I'm not suggesting everyone run out and become the man's friend. I'm saying his book on bayes theorem is good.
There's a few questions we can ask to test whether you're Dick Carrier or not.

1) Do you have a legion of fans?
1a) If so, do they span the globe?

2) If you were to lend your support to a cause which of the sentences below would be the most accurate metaphor to describe that support?:
a) Cleverness Howitzer
b) Barrage of brightness
c) Intellectual artillery

3) How many times did you masturbate in front of the mirror today?:
a) None
b) More than once but less than ten
c) Ten or more times but less than thirty
d) Until your spunk ran out and only foam came out of the end.

4) If somebody called you the saviour of humanity would you think they were:
a) Lying
b) Deluded
c) Joking
d) Sycophantic but wrong
e) Dead-on accurate
:lol:

windy

Post by windy »

Hunt wrote:Meanwhile, the naive north European is about to be careened on the highway for questing the ontology of ass grabbing harassment. Too bad they don't know what is about to hit them. This is going to be ugly.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-715607
Wait, why does PZ think a "skeptic leader" did the ass slapping?

In the TAM talk she said:
As an astronomer, at professional conferences, I’ve randomly had my tits and ass grabbed and slapped by men in positions of power and by creeps who drank too much. This is part of what it means to be a woman in science.
Now she's retconned it to:
I learned that a witnesses to an event that occurred in 2008 is discussing that event and naming names. During the event in question, a man in power who I’d previously never met made a lunge at my breasts. This is one of the events that weighed on me when I wrote my TAM talk. It weighed on me when I said, “As an astronomer, at conferences, I’ve randomly had my tits and ass grabbed and slapped by men in positions of power and by creeps who drank too much. This is part of what it means to be a woman in science and skepticism.”
Dumbass edited her own quote, when the original is publicly available!

I guess she's found that random groping accusations have a much more receptive audience in skepticism than in astronomy. "A good story improves in the telling"

windy

Re: Bfarte Fauxshag

Post by windy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Best Bfarte Fauxshag Cartoon ever, as voted by O'Feelya Bentsome:
A social-justice riot.
See? Even that is funnier than the original Foshaug's.
It's like those "Garfield minus Garfield" comics:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/98331f470f9c ... o1_500.png

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

It's a fascinating yet simultaneously mundane story, that underlies the latest episode in the ongoing skeptic soap opera.
Pamela Gay's post seems to (intentionaly?) conflate a work related harassment investigation that has recently concluded, and a seperate incident from 2008 that she claims involves some famous skeptic trying to grope her. I'm pretty certain I've narrowed the possibilities of the latter incident to DragonCon 2008, and specifically to a party on Thurday night, the 30th of August.
On that night Phil Plait, the then head of the JREF, bumped into the SF author Scott Sigler, who invited him to a party.
Plait said he had 12 friends - No problem! Bring them along too!
The party was a themed event, namely 'Pimps and Ho's' (yes, another prostitute themed event) which explains many of the costumes you see in the photos I've posted already.
The party was being hosted by podcaster Evo Terra/Travis Unwin (the guy ogling Pamela Gay's left breast in this photo)
http://i.imgur.com/FrcvSnh.jpg
There are a lot of photos of this event online and it's clear that there was copious amounts of alcohol consumed, lots of touching/hugging/groping going on. I'm guessing that there was a lot of play-acting happening (which explains the many silly photos of people mugging up to Scott Sigler in his pimp costume.)
At some stage something happened, it appears, between Pamela Gay and Michael Shermer.
We have photos of them together, posing for photos, with Shermer's arm around her.

http://i.imgur.com/20vC9Cs.jpg

She claims he tried to grope her, but he says he didn't.
Others who were there seem to think he was very drunk and they seperated him from her and took him away.
I think it's safe to say he was probably drunk and acting the dick - although it is questionable whether he did anything (or tried to to anything) worse than was already happening at the party - or whether he just tried to give her a hug that was misinterpreted.
I wasn't there so I can't say what happened but I find it hard to make a firm pronouncement on the matter when no actual contact was made. Nearly groping someone, when no contact is made, can be very similar to nearly hugging them - and it's clear there was a lot of hugging going on at that party. Shermer is the only one who knows what he intended to do. Perhaps he intended to grab a breast in each hand, give them a squeeze and go "Waheeeyy!"
Or perhaps not.
We need a youtube clip of the incident to help us decide.

Or perhaps Peezus can help us!

Peezus, can you point out exactly where that nasty Mr Shermer tried to touch the lady?

http://i.imgur.com/PFsrTCZ.jpg

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

From the Spambot filter question:
Which is not a European capital city? Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Beijing:
Tricky one, Amsterdam is not a capital city and Beijing is not in Europe.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Over on Ophelia's version of the Pamela Gay drama (on which she bestows a title similar to those for her preceding posts on FGM), a commenter writes:
brucegee1962
November 6, 2013 at 9:44 pm (UTC -8) Link to this comment
My young daughter is going to be gorgeous, and she loves math. I tell her every day how proud I am of her, and how great it would be if she decides to go into engineering or science.

Posts like this make me wonder if I’m doing the right thing as a dad. Maybe I should be encouraging her to study languages or English Lit, where the balance is a lot closer to 50-50.

That makes me SO ANGRY on her behalf, and the behalf of all the current and future woman scientists.

ARGH!
I don't know where to begin to parse the stupid, so I'll just ask why it's relevant that she's going to be "gorgeous"? It's quite obvious, from all of the many groping/harassment/RAEP stories that have been presented as blog posts, comments, #ripplesoftweetwoe, TAM talks, etc etc, that being "gorgeous" is not a prerequisite for being a target. Being a scientist or being "brilliant" at maths and physics isn't a requirement either. So why is that even part of the dialogue? If they're so disgusted with oppressive white patriarchoindustrialcomplex notions of beauty, why do they constantly conform to them and refer to dominant paradigms of physical attractiveness?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Southern wrote:Finally, a SJW problem that I can relate to. Not that I'm currently unemployed, but it happens to people from time to time - and the worst thing for your head is having your unemplyment benefits cut off for some bureaucratic bullshit while you're still looking ofr something else. I choose to believe that this is the case for Dalilama, and not the easy pick target.
That is a phenomenon totally foreign to those who are self-employed.
Vis: Not wage-slaves.
Totalise that barge, elevator that bail.

Yes, I am a minor Libertarian on that count.
I have been "employed" for 3 months, and just HAD to escape.
I have been my own boss ever since.
(~40 years)

I never ceases to amuse me when wage-slaves (employees) complain bitterly about how the company for whom they slave are "not doing it right"! They flail-about, giving suggestion after suggestion about how their employer could be running THEIR business in a superior fashion for the employees.
Well, if you know better, then why don't you do what they did, and establish a company at your own financial risk and prove them wrong, rather that simply complaining about it to anyone who will listen, and many who don't?
Mortgage your house, sell your first-born to Mephistopheles, and see what it is like from "the other side of the coin".
I'll give you the example of a company where my younger brother works, because it sums up to me what's really wrong with certain corporate practices and views from the oh-so-called "heart and blood of the economy":

- The company where he works has a Quality Control department and a Finances department, like many big companies. The QC wants the clients to be satisfied (good service, individual care for each problem, you know the drill - "make the guy paying happy"); the Finances wants to reduce costs and increase the number of clients that each worker tends to, so they can get more money at the end of the month. So you have one department that wants the workers to be MORE engaged to the clients, and one that wants the LESS engaged. Those departments never talked about achieving a middle ground on that regard.

- The company's owners aren't involved with its daily routine. They don't know that there are shortage of tools sometimes, they don't know that sometimes clients have to wait on a workshop that doesn't have air conditioning (and I assure you, in the summer, this is a big no-no down there), they don't know that they have managers with opposite goals. If they know, they don't care.

- They hired a general manager that managed to put them in hot water, because they gave him total power to do whatever he wanted. One of the things that he wanted was to buy a new ERP software (something that they had to do, because they needed to padronize their software with other branches of the same company), pressured the company that sold the ERP to implement it in a few months without proper testing it with real data, and when things started to go to hell, threatened to fire anyone using the old, reliable system that wasn't charging clients $100k for a job that cost $50. After clients started to threaten people (many women broke down and cried one day because clients would threaten to punch them - I'm not making this shit up, they had to call security on more than a couple of guys), the guy finally admit that "they" (as in, "he and every shmuck working under him") made a "mistake" (as in, "fucked up beyond belief"). Oh, and he wasn't fired after tha, because you see, "the team has fucked up" (as in, "the guy we hired paying lots of money fucked up, but we can't blame everything on him or we'll look like a bunch of drooling idiots").

- They started a program of giving clients free stuff to increase sales, because that worked well on the American branches of the company. Except, Brazil is not America, and people went just to get the free stuff and didn't buy anything because that's how we roll in Third World. When it failed, they blamed on the guys doing the technical work because they didn't knew how to sell the extra crap among the free stuff (because tech guys should be amazing sellers, right?).

When my brother was telling me all this crap, I started to wonder why the higher-ups couldn't see the obvious flaws in their amazing plans (giving free stuff for nothing = bad, expecting tech people to act as sellers = bad, changing ERP software withour exhaustive testing = DOUPLE PLUS UNGOOD JUJU!), but it always amount to what you're saying: "I know what I'm doing because I'm risking my money and that somehow makes me special and smart, so shut up and do as I say or else I'll put you out of your misery and then you can see how hard it is to run a company". Well, you're not smart because you have money to invest in a company; you may be, but that doesn't make you an authority in every aspect of your business. MAH MONEY MAH RULEZ may work when you're raising children, but not when you have to raise adults.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:It's a fascinating yet simultaneously mundane story, that underlies the latest episode in the ongoing skeptic soap opera.
Pamela Gay's post seems to (intentionaly?) conflate a work related harassment investigation that has recently concluded, and a seperate incident from 2008 that she claims involves some famous skeptic trying to grope her. I'm pretty certain I've narrowed the possibilities of the latter incident to DragonCon 2008, and specifically to a party on Thurday night, the 30th of August.
On that night Phil Plait, the then head of the JREF, bumped into the SF author Scott Sigler, who invited him to a party.
Plait said he had 12 friends - No problem! Bring them along too!
The party was a themed event, namely 'Pimps and Ho's' (yes, another prostitute themed event) which explains many of the costumes you see in the photos I've posted already.
The party was being hosted by podcaster Evo Terra/Travis Unwin (the guy ogling Pamela Gay's left breast in this photo)
<snip>
There are a lot of photos of this event online and it's clear that there was copious amounts of alcohol consumed, lots of touching/hugging/groping going on. I'm guessing that there was a lot of play-acting happening (which explains the many silly photos of people mugging up to Scott Sigler in his pimp costume.)
At some stage something happened, it appears, between Pamela Gay and Michael Shermer.
We have photos of them together, posing for photos, with Shermer's arm around her.
<snip>
She claims he tried to grope her, but he says he didn't.
Others who were there seem to think he was very drunk and they seperated him from her and took him away.
I think it's safe to say he was probably drunk and acting the dick - although it is questionable whether he did anything (or tried to to anything) worse than was already happening at the party - or whether he just tried to give her a hug that was misinterpreted.
I wasn't there so I can't say what happened but I find it hard to make a firm pronouncement on the matter when no actual contact was made. Nearly groping someone, when no contact is made, can be very similar to nearly hugging them - and it's clear there was a lot of hugging going on at that party. Shermer is the only one who knows what he intended to do. Perhaps he intended to grab a breast in each hand, give them a squeeze and go "Waheeeyy!"
Or perhaps not.
<snip>
My cynical outsider's take on the above?

They're all a bunch of privileged, self-involved, toxically vain, bigoted, obnoxious twats with the impulse control of developmentally delayed juvenile chimpanzees. All of them.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... /#comments

Svan proving once again that if you look for something to be offended by, you'll probably find it. Comments are the usual circlejerk...

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

I forgot, also this:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... profiling/

I'm just curious if DIYM sent Avicenna mail, or if someone is cherry-picking here for their own purposes.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Southern wrote:When my brother was telling me all this crap, I started to wonder why the higher-ups couldn't see the obvious flaws in their amazing plans (giving free stuff for nothing = bad, expecting tech people to act as sellers = bad, changing ERP software withour exhaustive testing = DOUPLE PLUS UNGOOD JUJU!), but it always amount to what you're saying: "I know what I'm doing because I'm risking my money and that somehow makes me special and smart, so shut up and do as I say or else I'll put you out of your misery and then you can see how hard it is to run a company". Well, you're not smart because you have money to invest in a company; you may be, but that doesn't make you an authority in every aspect of your business. MAH MONEY MAH RULEZ may work when you're raising children, but not when you have to raise adults.
Boy, have I triggered an avalanche of self-pity with that post!?
FYI: When I started My Company, I was in secondary school year 10, with nary a brass razoo to my name.
READ: NO MONEY TO INVEST.
I had to gain cash-flow via delivering the goods to my clients.

But with a drive and vision.

You are spouting nonsense.

So you can cut-out that bullshit guilt-trip.
I had negative money to invest, yet raised a child and employed whinging fuckers like you.
And paid their superannuation.
Fucking wage-slaves bitching about how they "could do it better than their employers', yet studiously avoiding taking that action annoy me, potentially more, than Rebecca Watson.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tony Parsehole wrote:You see how hard it is to replicate Bjarte's "absence of comedy"?
Didn't you call Bjarte Foshaug "as funny as a bag of acorns"?

You were wrong. A bag of acorns is much funnier.

Even a root canal operation is funnier.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Jan Steen wrote:
Didn't you call Bjarte Foshaug "as funny as a bag of acorns"?

You were wrong. A bag of acorns is much funnier.

Even a root canal operation is funnier.
The suicide note of a special-needs child is funnier.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

"I reassure the tweeting twerps that I know the rules all too well." Tweeting twerps... every time I risk forgetting why I like Dawkins, he reminds me. And this:
What is it that renders some people incapable of conceiving how a person might be motivated not by narrow self-interest but by a public-spirited concern for the common weal?
I think that perfectly sums up FTB, Skepchick and others. An ironic lack of empathy, an inability or unwillingness to understand the motivations of others.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Tribble wrote:
Remick wrote:
ERV wrote: The world just cant handle a genius of Rebeccas caliber.

[youtube]hXud6iXXSqw[/youtube]

Usually I am with you on the gems you find on twitter, but I don't get this one. So she plays video games, so what? We should encourage her to do that, and leave everything else alone.

Who gives a fuck what she does with her spare time(regardless of how much 'spare' time she has).

She is just a politician that keeps getting people to vote for her. Is the problem really her, or is it that she is still invited to speak?

Once she hasn't spoken at an event for 2 years, no one is going to be paying her to write for them either.

It's not about the video games. It's about the Chutzpah of sending out the "Girl in Distress, Support Me" signal and e-begging for money, yet in a week telling everyone that you just beat the second hardest level in a game that takes a huge number of HOURS to play each session.

And despite all the claims of people who say they 'routinely beat' the Immortal level, the truth is that just one in five hundred Civ V game owners ever manage to beat the game on Immortal. Most give up (out of boredom) LONG before they get there because it takes a long time and a lot of maps before you 'get it down' and are good enough to take on the incredible cheating AI. (Unless you abuse something like ROP (patched out)).

So, it takes a HUGE amount of practice, plus a lot of luck, to beat that level.

And that's what the blue-haired She-Devil was doing (while running out of money) before she started her e-begging campaign. Which I find revolting as it's the exact opposite of how I live my life.

For example, when I was starting my CPA firm I could have e-begged people (or my relatives) for 'sponsorships' while using the 'sponsorhip' to sell dubious genetic testing kits then, later, bragged about my Civilization I score or some shit. But I didn't.

Instead of begging and whining I worked as a housekeeper (like Molly Maids). That's right, I fucking scrubbed toilets, cleaned dog-shit out of carpets, washed dishes, did windows and otherwise made sure rich slobs could come home, at least one day a week, to a clean house. And I did this as a licensed CPA with an MS in Accountancy from an elite accounting program.

That's why I criticize.

It's not games. I love games. I play all kinds of games. But I don't run around leeching off people because I'm too god-damn lazy or 'proud' to do shit work for a living to make ends meet. If scrubbing toilets is what I have to do, then scrubbing toilets is what I do. And I have done so. For an entire year I scrubbed toilets to make ends meet while I grew my firm.

And I've got friends, who are also professionals, who did the equivalent. Worked night jobs. Worked as a UPS truck loader. Worked as a delivery driver. Worked in fast food. Worked as waiters/waitresses. Whatever it took so they could grow their law firm or CPA firm or Architecture firm...
I know the civ series well, it is one of my fav's. I had a harder time beating Xcom Ironman impossible though.

I still don't see the point in criticizing her for playing video games. It comes off as petty and seems a little crazy to be honest. You can take jabs whenever she posts a shitty article or someone puts up a youtube vid of a shitty talk she gave. You could even reference videogames then. Something like, Hours spent on Civ 5:230, hours spent researching evo psych: 1/3 of plane ride to con.

Point out that she is lazy when her work shows it, shouldn't be to hard. But simply lashing out for her playing video games is stupid, and doesn't help.

It is like going after Setar because he plays video games. Him playing video games is not the issue.... I started to type out 'the' issue with setar, but that seems impossible.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Just for the record, Napoleon Dynamite is one of the funniest films ever made but only after watching it at least twice.
Truth!

Southern

Post by Southern »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Southern wrote:When my brother was telling me all this crap, I started to wonder why the higher-ups couldn't see the obvious flaws in their amazing plans (giving free stuff for nothing = bad, expecting tech people to act as sellers = bad, changing ERP software withour exhaustive testing = DOUPLE PLUS UNGOOD JUJU!), but it always amount to what you're saying: "I know what I'm doing because I'm risking my money and that somehow makes me special and smart, so shut up and do as I say or else I'll put you out of your misery and then you can see how hard it is to run a company". Well, you're not smart because you have money to invest in a company; you may be, but that doesn't make you an authority in every aspect of your business. MAH MONEY MAH RULEZ may work when you're raising children, but not when you have to raise adults.
Boy, have I triggered an avalanche of self-pity with that post!?
FYI: When I started My Company, I was in secondary school year 10, with nary a brass razoo to my name.
READ: NO MONEY TO INVEST.
I had to gain cash-flow via delivering the goods to my clients.

But with a drive and vision.

You are spouting nonsense.

So you can cut-out that bullshit guilt-trip.
I had negative money to invest, yet raised a child and employed whinging fuckers like you.
And paid their superannuation.
Fucking wage-slaves bitching about how they "could do it better than their employers', yet studiously avoiding taking that action annoy me, potentially more, than Rebecca Watson.
Whatever, doc. If you want to hear from the whining fucker that oh God you're so special, the here you have it: "Gee, Mr. Gray, you're so special! I wish one day I could grow to be just like you!". I'm a helper.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

feralandproud wrote:I forgot, also this:

I'm just curious if DIYM sent Avicenna mail, or if someone is cherry-picking here for their own purposes.
Argh, my comment was eaten by stupid reloading of pages on the ipad. I hate that. (does anyone know how this can be switched off?).

In short, acording to google, avicenna posted an identical quote from the pit just one hour after it was posted here. I find the racist charge later utterly nonsensical when SJW highlight races all the time in both directions (black atheists whatever, white male cis, people of colour). I reject these notions, and consider them all racist (“colourblind” issue factored in) — but see its an american thing. But how come they're ignorant about it and as soon as its shown from another direction, they jump at it. It is like a blindspot.

And Zvan, yeah. Troll comments on twitter by two people transmute into “the Slymepit sez” (negative tweets/comments ones only, of course). If we play that game, they're all Rape Apologists among other things.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Re: The pictures of the party above.

Those people aren't just drunk. They are absolutely smashed.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

German LurkBoatsman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:And this is the Carrie Poppy thing isn't it? And Carrie presumably had permission to start blatting away, and TAM only cam into it because DJ and Phil were at the Party? And is Phil now a Groethe like enemy? Or just DJ? and ...... Jesus.
In the 2012 talk Gay actually holds Grothe's behaviour up as an example for stepping in. At least that's how I read it. Around 32:45:
"In my own life I actually had two guys, one of whom is here at this meeting, who've intervened with me when they've seen some other guy being a dick and and going to do something inappropriate. And you can be this person who physically intervenes."

So, give me a gig at your conference, you're my hero - don't invite me, breakdown is mine?
I always find it ironic that when it comes to taking action (not just verbal bitching), these SJW ALWAYS rely on a male to do the work. They talk a great talk about agency, but then display none of their own. They do NOTHING, even when it is their own asses on the line. It is simply amazing. They sit around and wait for someone else to step up and I think the reason they do is that actions can be criticized easily and they don't want to take that chance. The truth is, none of them can tell you what is "wrong" before hand. They can only criticize and judge in hindsight. That's why no one takes this shit seriously.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Aneris wrote:
feralandproud wrote:I forgot, also this:

Argh, my comment was eaten by stupid reloading of pages on the ipad. I hate that. (does anyone know how this can be switched off?).

In short, acording to google, avicenna posted an identical quote from the pit just one hour after it was posted here. I find the racist charge later utterly nonsensical when SJW highlight races all the time in both directions (black atheists whatever, white male cis, people of colour). I reject these notions, and consider them all racist (“colourblind” issue factored in) — but see its an american thing. But how come they're ignorant about it and as soon as its shown from another direction, they jump at it. It is like a blindspot.

And Zvan, yeah. Troll comments on twitter by two people transmute into “the Slymepit sez” (negative tweets/comments ones only, of course). If we play that game, they're all Rape Apologists among other things.
What triggered this repulsive little display, I wonder? Are these friends and supporters of Shermer and Grothe? If so, I can only wish them both many more friends like these.

More or less, yes.
Better said, they are friends of anybody who is against FtB, Skepchick and social justice, especially feminism*. It doesn’t matter how vile it gets.

*They will apparently make an exception for TERFs. It’s more like the Hitler-Stalin Pakt. Or the Allied Forces in WWII. Anything goes as long as they have their enemy.
Critical thinking at it's finest! "If they don't like us, it's not because we're fucking horrible; it's because they're friends with the enemy!"