Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Butterflies, wheels and bikinis

Post by Tigzy »

AKAHorace wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:AKAHorace, it's normal on Ophelia's blog. She removes comments that she doesn't like.
I wouldn't mind if the comment was abusive and she said what she had done. Neither was true though, the comment removed was the only one that would make anyone laugh and she removed my comment when I asked about what had happened.
Yeah, it's Nanny Fee's usual modus operandi. She's notorious for deleting comments, even innocuous ones if she deems the writer an 'undesirable person'. It can lead to some amusement, as it messes up the posting numbers - Josh Spokesgay appeared to be telling himself to 'fuck off', or something, on a thread recently.

JAB

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by JAB »

Michael K Gray wrote:
JAB wrote:bird news... my silly bird is right now building a nest on top of my clock to, once again lay unfertilized eggs. She keeps trying.
Cuckoo?

Heehee...no. It's a grandfather clock I inherited when my dad died a few years ago. I had stopped the pendulum when I was away last week and hadn't nudged it started again. Now I'll likely have to do without the chimes for a month while she lays eggs then sits on them until she gives up again. This is her fourth clutch ever and her second one this summer... silly bird.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

JAB wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
JAB wrote:bird news... my silly bird is right now building a nest on top of my clock to, once again lay unfertilized eggs. She keeps trying.
Cuckoo?
Heehee...no. It's a grandfather clock I inherited when my dad died a few years ago. I had stopped the pendulum when I was away last week and hadn't nudged it started again. Now I'll likely have to do without the chimes for a month while she lays eggs then sits on them until she gives up again. This is her fourth clutch ever and her second one this summer... silly bird.
I was skeptical when someone told me that her grandfather's grandfather-clock stopped the exact moment that he died.
Turns out she was right. It fell on him.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

ERV wrote:Some obnoxious Christians and a troupe of evil men have done/are doing more for social justice than ANYONE in A†.
You know speaking about what people can do charity wise... I've been looking for somewhere that does awareness raising around male rape in the Congo. I can't find any petitions to urge NGOs and other aid organisations to provide resources for men affected. Does anyone one know of anything that's around?

JAB

Post by JAB »

Steersman wrote: Seems to me that the most Mayhew could justifiably argue was that the accusation was unfounded if not libelous, not that the accusation in itself constitues sexual harassment.
It wouldn't surprise me if they had a reg in place that the accusation of sleeping your way to the top was harrassment. Making up and spreading rumours of that sort add to a hostile work environment. You may argue that it isn't technically harrassment if done once, but it's better to stomp that sort of talk quickly and it wouldn't be odd to have it written into the guidelines at a workplace here, I don't think.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JAB wrote:
Steersman wrote: Seems to me that the most Mayhew could justifiably argue was that the accusation was unfounded if not libelous, not that the accusation in itself constitues sexual harassment.
It wouldn't surprise me if they had a reg in place that the accusation of sleeping your way to the top was harrassment. Making up and spreading rumours of that sort add to a hostile work environment. You may argue that it isn't technically harrassment if done once, but it's better to stomp that sort of talk quickly and it wouldn't be odd to have it written into the guidelines at a workplace here, I don't think.
Maybe the limitations of Twitter “conversations” with their 140 character constraint.

And you might well be right that workplace regulations might have additional stipulations against making unfounded accusations or spreading rumors about it – how do you provide evidence of such? And doing so might actually constitute harassment as defined by those regulations. But the actual accusation really doesn’t seem to fall under the definition for “sexual harassment” itself – at least from the brief bit of the article that I read.

But would be interesting to raise the question with Mayhew directly – which I will do myself if I have the time and have an account there already unless someone else beats me to the punch ….

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Michael K Gray wrote:
JAB wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Cuckoo?
I was skeptical when someone told me that her grandfather's grandfather-clock stopped the exact moment that he died.
It is after all a timeless joke.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
JAB wrote:
Maybe the limitations of Twitter “conversations” with their 140 character constraint.
A good reason not to argue on Twitter.

sacha

Post by sacha »

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:
[youtube]
Ostie de tabernak de câlisse!* Channel 4 have blocked it for the UK. Fuckeurs!

(*Just trying out some Quebec French swearing there.)[/quote]

http://www.tunnelbear.com/ <------- highly recommended

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

Steersman wrote:But the actual accusation really doesn’t seem to fall under the definition for “sexual harassment” itself – at least from the brief bit of the article that I read.
Read the second paragraph on your Wikipedia link,
Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex.
Or sexual history.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Darren

Post by Darren »

Tigzy wrote:And yet the commentariat just gave him a load of shit. And this is one of the FfTBs greatest weakness - genuinely interesting, intelligent, free-thinking commentators only have to deviate from the FfTB orthodoxy in the slightest, and BAM! Instant persona non grata. Looking at that thread, it should be obvious that Noelplum wasn't trying to start a fight - only point out a possible counterpoint to the contention at hand. If he'd have been treated just a little bit better, the baboons could have had a good and interesting ally there. It's their loss - and yet somehow, they seem to think it's a gain.
Julian chymed in on exactly this issue:
This is why I like heavy moderation. It keeps deliberate trolls like noel away. noel makes 3 comments, each one deliberately trying to instigate a fight with other commenters.
Yep. Promoting discussion via civil disagreement = instigating a fight. What a fucktard. Someone put him back in his sandbox so he doesn't have to deal with contrary views.

Steersman

Re: the views of MRAs

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
JackRayner wrote: ....
You're joking, right? Only a ton of money (which privileged old me must be forgetting to go pick up at the bank since I have a dick and they'd hand it over with a smile) and no national media attention would ensure that I got a fair trial. ...
I was with a very close friend of mine last night (Englishman). I attempted to get him up to date with PZ, Watson, and the baboons ...

In the US, women who become vindictive towards men who want out of a relationship are not the minority, and I could write a tome about most women and their reaction after casual sex, even when they knew ahead of time, that is all it will ever be.

"hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is not an exaggeration.

Just to be clear, of course I have known women who would never even consider behaving that way. ...
Incredible – tales from the Dark Side, so to speak.

I sort of have had an inkling that there was some truth to that argument, but it helps to have a more-or-less unbiased observer confirm it – your status as a “Gender Traitor” [aka honest person] is now doubly confirmed. But exactly why that might be the case is, of course, a more difficult problem, but one I think is illustrated by the over-protectiveness discussed earlier here and exhibited by Jen McCreight’s father: parents, I think, aren’t doing their kids, particularly their daughters, any favours by shielding them excessively from the “real world”.

Somewhat apropos and at least somewhat consistent with your own observations, you might be interested in another passage from Philip Wylie’s Generation of Vipers which seems to me to have more than a small amount of truth to it – although I won’t try to defend it all as his jerimiad tends to stray into hyperbole at times. He generally argues that far too many women have bought into the myth of Cinderella, but have generally corrupted it – and frequently the men in their lives – by seeing the Prince and the Castle as their virtual birthright:
The idea women have that life is marshmallows which will come as a gift – an idea promulgated by every medium and many an advertisement – has defeated half the husbands in America. It has made at least half our homes into centers of disillusionment. It is as responsible for the absurdity of keeping up with the Jones as the bare instinct toward conformity – because Mrs. Jones is trying to keep up with Cinderella. It long ago became associated with the notion that the bearing of children was such an unnatural and hideous ordeal that the mere act entitled women to respite from all other physical and social responsibility. Woman, indeed, has capitalized heavily on that theory ever since Cinderellism and chivalry allowed her to conceive of it. She does so still, in spite of the fact that modern medical practice is able to turn most childbearing into no more of a hardship than, say, a few months of benign tumor plus a couple of hours in a dental chair.

The main waft of the current, gathering inertia from itself, pours over us all the mighty river, butterscotch on top, and underneath, sewage. Boating about on it is the child wife, the infantile personality, the woman who cannot reason logically, the bridge fiend, the golf fiend, the mother of all the atrocities we call “spoiled children”, the middle-aged, hair-faced clubwoman who destroys everything she touches, the murderess, the habitual divorcee, the weeper, the weak sister, the rubbery sex experimentist, the quarreler, the woman forever displeased, the nagger, the female miser, and so on and so on and so on, to the outermost lengths of the puerile, rusting, raging creature we know as mom and sis – unrealists, all – flops in the impossible attempt to become Cinderellas, shrill ones, pushing for more yardage in the material world, demanding only that the men, obviously no Princes, at least make up in some small way by acting like Santa Claus who has become, also, an Americanized archetype. [pgs 52-53]

sacha

Post by sacha »

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:"...I never found Londoners particularly rude (of course, there are rude cunts everywhere). Paris, on the other hand, I found to be on a completely different level of rudeness—perhaps that is because I'm English, but I know several French people who agree, in once case stridently: she moved to London to get away from the buggers.
Parisians are most certainly on a completely different level of rudeness. I don't find Londoners, or Manhattanites rude at all, strangers are just irrelevant, and ignored, if the outsiders are friendly for no apparent reason, they are looked upon with suspicion, and perhaps a bit of silent contempt, but in Paris, it's as though there is a rudeness competition underway.

The rest of France may as well be another planet in comparison.

Evan

Post by Evan »

If Jen's father ever becomes king, Seattle residents may want to move elsewhere.

http://kingmccreight.blogspot.com/2011/ ... false.html
My daughter is a real celebrity. First, a total stranger stops her on the street and asks if she’s the “Boob Quake Girl?” and later our underground tour guide confessed she was a big fan of her blog. She even asked for an autograph. No one has ever asked for The King’s autograph.

After I left, I was convinced that my daughter has found the perfect home. When I am King I am making my daughter Princess of Seattle.

Evan

Post by Evan »

http://athmorality.blogspot.ca/2012/09/ ... women.html
Yes, sometimes people are dicks at these things. Yes, there are disgusting trolls on the internet. Yes, there are people, even women, who don't want to talk about rape. But fuck you for lumping me in with those people for doing things like defending DJ Grothe or laughing at a Louie CK routine. Fuck you for trying to silence me when I don't find the low-brow humor on reddit to be the same as being threatened. Fuck you for the awesome women you've silenced while insisting you fight for women's voices. Fuck you for the people who are actually doing something about atheism in this country that you've tried to tear down to further your own internet fame.

And finally, fuck you for all the women who can't talk about rape and sexism because you've clouded the issue so much with your sheltered, privileged bullshit that no one can see the forest through the trees. Seriously. Fuck you.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Evan wrote: And finally, fuck you for all the women who can't talk about rape and sexism because you've clouded the issue so much with your sheltered, privileged bullshit that no one can see the forest through the trees. Seriously. Fuck you.
Peep Show S05E05 P02 Action starts at 3:11

BTW, whoever it is that mentioned the series in the first place? Fuck you very much. I really, really, really, just needed yet one more another thing to get adicted to.

Did I remember to say "fuck you"? I hope so.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Evan wrote:If Jen's father ever becomes king, Seattle residents may want to move elsewhere.

My daughter is a real celebrity. First, a total stranger stops her on the street and asks if she’s the “Boob Quake Girl?” and later our underground tour guide confessed she was a big fan of her blog. She even asked for an autograph. No one has ever asked for The King’s autograph.

After I left, I was convinced that my daughter has found the perfect home. When I am King I am making my daughter Princess of Seattle.
This is why I am semi-anonymous. So my kids will not have cringe-inducing moments like this. and call me up and say:
Daaaaaaaad! Did you really say that? OMFG! If my friends ever find out I am going to kill myself, or change my name. OMG! OMG!
All I got to say to the "King" is you got to think of the children man. Think of the children.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Evan wrote:If Jen's father ever becomes king, Seattle residents may want to move elsewhere.

This is why I am semi-anonymous. So my kids will not have cringe-inducing moments like this. and call me up and say:
Daaaaaaaad! Did you really say that? OMFG! If my friends ever find out I am going to kill myself, or change my name. OMG! OMG!
Following up on myself is so lame, but I decided to share my insight with him. Strictly as one parent to another. See what I mean?

All I got to say to the "King" is you got to think of the children man. Think of the children.

franc

Post by franc »

That is precisely the picture I have in my head every time I use the word "cunt". And that dried up, sexless cunt Ophelia says I don't respect women... I do respect women Pruney - but only real ones.

franc

Post by franc »

James Onen wrote:for Franc:
For James: you'll need to call your boss over before you click this, they'll really like it too -

Ophelia goes pushbike riding in Amsterdam

franc

Post by franc »

KarlVonMox wrote:Its time for parrots to get the recognition and justice they deserve, especially against the tyranny of dogs and cats. We should start a Parrots Rights Activist (PRA) movement.
You mean PRA+. Or do you hate women?

AndrewV69

For Astrokid: The Nayar of India.

Post by AndrewV69 »

Aha! Found it. Astrokid this is the other non-normative society I could not remember the name of. Here we are, The Nayar of India.

I found the reference here Ref: E. O. Wilson, On Human Nature" and the Wikipedia entry is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nair
Historically, Nairs lived in large family units called tharavads that housed descendants of one common female ancestor. These family units along with their unusual marriage customs, which are no longer practiced, have been much studied. Although the detail varied from one region to the next, the main points of interest to researchers of Nair marriage customs were the existence of two particular rituals — the pre-pubertal thalikettu kalyanam and the later sambandham - and the practice of polygamy in some areas. Some Nair women also practiced hypergamy with Nambudiri Brahmins from the Malabar area.
Compare and contrast to the Muso: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosuo

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dilurk wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
JAB wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Cuckoo?
It is after all a timeless joke.
Nyuk, nyuk. I've gotta hand it to you.
Time enough to dial up the chronometer puns?
Or are you just winding me up, to while away the hours?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Darren wrote:...Julian chymed in on exactly this issue:
Hah! At least someone knows the true meaning of the archaic "chyme".
Golf clap!

sacha

Re: The Cinderella Myth

Post by sacha »

Steersman wrote:He generally argues that far too many women have bought into the myth of Cinderella, but have generally corrupted it – and frequently the men in their lives – by seeing the Prince and the Castle as their virtual birthright
Ah yes, the Cinderella Myth. The one I'm familiar with is a bit different. An interesting hypothesis of cause and effect regarding many unhappy, bitter and unfulfilled women, and the reason they treat the men they are married to with emotional abuse and contempt.

I wrote a long piece about it a long time ago, and I do not know if I have a copy saved, but the core of it is an examination of how little girls are so enthralled with the idea that a wealthy prince will come riding up on his white horse, she will immediately fall in love with him, he will rescue her from anything that isn't easy or unpleasant, take her to his castle, and they will live happily ever after, that even when they get older, they secretly still believe it will happen to them, and as they grow up and logically understand that fairy tales do not come true, they continue to believe that their prince ("soul mate") will come along, and rescue them from their tedious, unexciting, and sometimes trying lives, all of their troubles will magically disappear, their love for each other will never waver, and they will live happily ever after.

This is why the idea of a "soul mate" or one person out there made especially for them with the same views, interests, and world view, is such a prevalent a belief of many women, and often they simply wait for him to arrive, without ever learning how to create their own happiness, be alone without being lonely, be confident in who they are and what they stand for, and know how to take care of themselves.

The way to counteract the Cinderella Myth is to teach the little girl from a very early age that life isn't easy, one needs emotional strength and a thick skin to get by in this world, don't depend on anyone to rescue you, work your way out of it, no one will be riding up on their white horse, time alone does not have to be lonely, that relationships need constant work in order to survive, have your own interests separate from his, give each other space, and enjoy the time apart, no one is responsible for your happiness, but you, and no one will ever live up to the idea of a perfect husband, and the way to set yourself up for a lifetime of misery is to believe in fairy tales.
(This is basically what my mum considered feminism.)

The basic premise of a feminist to my mum, was a woman who takes responsibility for her own life, is no victim, and is not dependent on others to solve her problems or rescue her. A woman far more like GWW (perhaps with a focus other than men's rights) who exudes strength of character and confidence, does not allow others to crack her composure, stands up for what she believes in, and refuses to be silenced, or intimidated. (Clearly times have changed)

Quite obviously there are not a lot of girls being raised this way, they believe they deserve it all, that they can do no wrong, and should be treated like royalty, and so they grow up with the expectation of getting everything they want, including a bizarre fantasy idea of the man they will marry, and an unrealistic view of what marriage entails.

Once they realise their lives are not perfect, their husbands are not what they expected, (they don't worship the ground they walk on like daddy said they should) and marriage is difficult, there is only denial, and the inability to admit any fault, and so they blame the men for their misery, and all their rage is directed at them.

Michael K Gray

My Little Princess & her Happy Army

Post by Michael K Gray »

...When I am King I am making my daughter Princess of Seattle.
Mission Accomplished.
She is the most precious "Little Princess" of her age that I have ever witnessed.
No wonder Jen is so fucked-up.
I nearly felt a microscopic pang of pity for her.

sacha

Re: My Little Princess & her Happy Army

Post by sacha »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Mission Accomplished.
She is the most precious "Little Princess" of her age that I have ever witnessed.
The Cinderella Myth in action. All this "offense" at nothing is part of that as well.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Mission Accomplished.
Probably started young. The first time she showed her parents a few bits of pasta noodle stuck to a piece of cardboard, they probably acted like it was a Rembrandt.

That generous over inflation of ones abilities and accomplishments seems to have carried over into adult life.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lost Moose wrote:
Steersman wrote:But the actual accusation really doesn’t seem to fall under the definition for “sexual harassment” itself – at least from the brief bit of the article that I read.
Read the second paragraph on your Wikipedia link,
Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex.
Or sexual history.
Maybe. But if that is the actual way the term is used and the way the law is applied then I would say it is a rather blunt instrument more likely to be abused than not. For instance, the following is Katie Graham’s tweet which was apparently blocked by Melody Hensley. Although I should mention I had mistakenly assumed this came from Sara Mayhew (still learning to parse tweets):
.@MelodyHensley You know what my job calls accusations of using male attn to climb the ladder? Sexual harassment. @saramayew
More specifically, sexual harassment as per the definition I provided is “the inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favours”and it is, I think, typically applied to men doing the promising and the women doing the providing of the “favours”. Whereas Graham is referring to a hypothetical case in which some woman is accusing another woman of at best using no more than “male attention” and at worst – the implication – of offering sexual favours in exchange for assistance in “climbing the corporate ladder”.

I don’t know about you, but to me those two cases look like very different kettles of fish. And one might even argue that the second hypothetical woman is, hypothetically, being accused of solicitation, aka prostitution. Nothing wrong with that in essence of course, although the hypothetical company involved might be less than impressed and would probably have just cause for firing both the “solicitor” and the “solicitee”….

While I generally agree with Mayhew’s post and think that there is some justification for Graham’s criticisms of Hensley, I would still say that Graham has mischaracterized Hensley's comments as “sexual harassment”.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news, someone else who agrees with me that Fukuyama is full of shit. He also reinforces why I see that multiculturalism as currently practised in the West will eventually lead to sectarian violence (I hope to be wrong about this).

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/arti ... ed-lessons
The adherents of secular progress narratives, however, can plead no such justification. To the contrary, the claims of a Fukuyama or of the contemporary ideologues of the global human rights movement—in many ways, the most powerful and influential of all contemporary utopian progress narratives—insist that however much their views have a component of hope, their confidence in the rightness of these views is based on the empirical evidence.
Reminds me of the baboons. Fingers stuck in their ears, la la la la la (in Arabic that means no no no no no) I can not hear you.
Nothing could be further from the truth. For if empirical criteria and historical evidence are the grounds on which intelligent people base their understanding of which direction the world is going in, it is surely just as plausible to claim that sectarianism has been as defining of modern history as universalization has been, and even that, at least in some parts of the world, sectarianism, in a broad sense that would include tribal, ethnic, racial, religious, and, within particular religions, confessional identities and loyalties, has played as central a role as globalization. The fact that this does not seem obvious—or, more precisely, that, at least in the West, the political and intellectual ruling classes seem to have to “rediscover” sectarianism every time it crops up (which, of course, is often) only to forget about it again until the next crisis imposes yet another rude awakening—is a reoccuring mystery of modern world affairs.
This time much closer to home. Of course the fuckers who formulated and implemented these policys will be long gone, it will be their grand children that will have to deal with the fallout.

I suggest you read the rest. I may have mentioned at some point that I disagreed very much so with Hitchens on Iraq. Events have proven me correct.

In other news, I am still putting off reading Pinker's latest work. I have it ready to go in Calibre. I really do not want to confirm my suspicion that on this subject, Steve is just as full of shit as Fukuyama and Hitchins.

Do not have idols people. They all have feet of clay.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:While I generally agree with Mayhew’s post and think that there is some justification for Graham’s criticisms of Hensley, I would still say that Graham has mischaracterized Hensley's comments as “sexual harassment”.
[channels the Reddit/MRA asshole]

Dood! It is a cat fight. And that is how they do it. Rip their clothes off and expose their tits. Rip the hair out. It is as simple as that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

DownThunder wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Mission Accomplished.
Probably started young. The first time she showed her parents a few bits of pasta noodle stuck to a piece of cardboard, they probably acted like it was a Rembrandt.

That generous over inflation of ones abilities and accomplishments seems to have carried over into adult life.
My father (my mum wasn't around when I grew up) always belittled me for anything I did. For this I am very grateful...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote:While I generally agree with Mayhew’s post and think that there is some justification for Graham’s criticisms of Hensley, I would still say that Graham has mischaracterized Hensley's comments as “sexual harassment”.
[channels the Reddit/MRA asshole]

Dood! It is a cat fight. And that is how they do it. Rip their clothes off and expose their tits. Rip the hair out. It is as simple as that.
LoL! :-)

Yes, more than some justification for looking at it that way – catty, is what I called it earlier. One might reasonably argue that a large portion of the blame for the rather juvenile level these discussions have degenerated to might be laid at the doorsteps of women like Rebecca and Amy … reminds me of Dylan’s Wicked Messenger who “multiplied the smallest matter” ….

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

sacha wrote:The basic premise of a feminist to my mum, was a woman who takes responsibility for her own life, is no victim, and is not dependent on others to solve her problems or rescue her.
My parents, also.

I think identity politics have basically shit on everything.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:He generally argues that far too many women have bought into the myth of Cinderella, but have generally corrupted it – and frequently the men in their lives – by seeing the Prince and the Castle as their virtual birthright
Ah yes, the Cinderella Myth. The one I'm familiar with is a bit different. An interesting hypothesis of cause and effect regarding many unhappy, bitter and unfulfilled women, and the reason they treat the men they are married to with emotional abuse and contempt. ...

I periodically think that such unhappy marriages are the breeding grounds for the next generation of failed Cinderellas – a process which has, if I’m not mistaken, its echoes in various various biological pathologies. But maybe with the father relying too much on the affection of the daughter to replace the lack from the mother. Or the mother pushing the daughter to grab what she was “cheated”of.

Complex psychologies that happen inside families, not all of it particularly edifying or admirable – the play and movie The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds providing, I think, a particularly stark and powerful portrayal of that ….
Quite obviously there are not a lot of girls being raised this way, they believe they deserve it all, that they can do no wrong, and should be treated like royalty ….
Would be interesting to know the statistics on that. You obviously have more than a few anecdotes that support that argument and Wylie – a close student of human nature and a prolific writer – did likewise. But the 40% divorce rate is at least suggestive of many people going into it with highly questionable attitudes – not that I’m in a position to throw many stones ….

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oh, and translation of my French sentence:

Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you don't have the right to look at the menu.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

DownThunder wrote:...Probably started young. The first time she showed her parents a few bits of pasta noodle stuck to a piece of cardboard, they probably acted like it was a Rembrandt.
Yeah, I am guilty of a bit of that too, with my daughter.
If only by default.
But I do remember mixing encouragement (NOT praise!) with instruction by example. (With the sole exception of Ballet!)
She grew up on a country farm, and that (I think) is a large element of what made her as tremendously robust and independent as she remains.
DownThunder wrote:That generous over inflation of ones abilities and accomplishments seems to have carried over into adult life.
Again, mea culpa in the early years with her (0~2).
She grew up with all of the Aladdin/Princess tales, but saw them equally as fictional as goblins, Klingons, Little Ponies, Honest Politicians, Marine-Boy, Unicorns, perfect marriages, honourable parasitism, lazy dole bludgers.
(One of those is not true. Post the answer on the back of a Minke Whale, and send to:-
The BBC Complaints Dept, Alton Towers, West Uganda, Q2304)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, and translation of my French sentence:
Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you don't have the right to look at the menu.
Arigato Goziamashita, Sensei.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Steersman wrote: The attitude behind this post from there seems to be a contributing factor:
Illuminata, Genie in the Beer Bottle wrote:September 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm
noelplum99 wrote:… in the threads I have become involved in I really don’t know how I could have been more civil.
When the sum total of your “argument” is bitches ain’t shit, no matter how “civil” your wording, you’re an incredible dipshit if you think no one notices.
Rather difficult, at least for me – maybe I don’t have my “feminist/sexist” glasses on or properly adjusted, to see how she managed to infer “bitches ain’t shit” from anything that noelplum wrote. Except maybe “arguing in bad faith” – and that is being charitable – or being in thrall to feminist dogma ….
Yep, a big old insane temper tantrum right in the middle of the thread. Funny that none of the baboons noticed it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Learn something new every day – and I now see from my French-English dictionary that “regime” is used in the context of diets. But I did suggest that mine was a bit of a stab in the dark ….

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Domo arigato, young padawan!

Steersman, oh my Steersman:

It's not an easy turn of phrase, so the (very few) mistakes are forgiven. Hell, I had a bit of a hard time translating it myself, and it's not a 100% accurate translation. maybe this would be closer: "It is not because you are on a diet that you don't have the right to look at the menu".

Yep, that one is 100% accurate, albeit grammatically ugly to read.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

cunt wrote:
Steersman wrote: ....
Rather difficult, at least for me – maybe I don’t have my “feminist/sexist” glasses on or properly adjusted, to see how she managed to infer “bitches ain’t shit” from anything that noelplum wrote. Except maybe “arguing in bad faith” – and that is being charitable – or being in thrall to feminist dogma ….
Yep, a big old insane temper tantrum right in the middle of the thread. Funny that none of the baboons noticed it.
Exactly – seems to be some sort of standard operating procedure I think. My first real exposure to that was a real hissy-fit thrown by Josh, THE Official SpokesGay … bunch of prima donnas ….

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

cunt wrote:Yep, a big old insane temper tantrum right in the middle of the thread. Funny that none of the baboons noticed it.
It is abundantly clear that whomever is the anonymous infantile coward: "Illuminata, Genie in the Beer Bottle", xe exhibits continuous symptoms of insolently thuggish conceited INSANITY, sufficient to be locked away for life in a civilised country.
But not the USA, it seems.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And a happy birthday to Justin Vacula. Dude, get awfully drunk please!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

xe exhibits continuous symptoms of insolently thuggish conceited INSANITY,
What was that? Can't we stick the the good ol' "they"? This "xe, xir, hir..." shit makes me cringe.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Seattle already has a King, so I expect McCreight's pronouncements may go unheeded.

http://www.tremendousupsidepotential.co ... 0felix.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Domo arigato, young padawan!

Steersman, oh my Steersman:

It's not an easy turn of phrase, so the (very few) mistakes are forgiven. Hell, I had a bit of a hard time translating it myself, and it's not a 100% accurate translation. maybe this would be closer: "It is not because you are on a diet that you don't have the right to look at the menu".

Yep, that one is 100% accurate, albeit grammatically ugly to read.
Yes, the difference between literal and colloquial translations can be quite entertaining and amusing – not that I’m familiar with many of them. I’m reminded of a discussion I had with my ex – from Quebec – when we were discussing a somewhat crude joke of some guy telling a woman to either put out or walk home. And she laughed and said there was a similar story in French with a nautical twist (I guess) and a punch line (I will probably mangle this as it was a long time ago and it’s too late to check the dictionary) “debarque puis de marche” ….
What was that? Can't we stick the the good ol' "they"? This "xe, xir, hir..." shit makes me cringe.
Exactly – massive silliness in my view; how many thousands of variations should we consider?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
xe exhibits continuous symptoms of insolently thuggish conceited INSANITY,
Ha! Fell for my crafty trap like the poor porn-pawn that you are, dancing to my endless puppeteer's relentless dance.
Mwoo-har-har!
(Thunder, Donner und Kebab!)
Igor! Ze sturm ist at its PEAK!
SThrow ze svitch!
(Damn. Gotta replace those fuses someday)
Hey, Igor: Vanna go to ze Chateau und look at my etchings of G. Christina?
(No pressure, mien liddle-von.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

some guy telling a woman to either put out or walk home. And she laughed and said there was a similar story in French with a nautical twist (I guess) and a punch line (I will probably mangle this as it was a long time ago and it’s too late to check the dictionary) “debarque puis de marche” ….
This would roughly translate as "unboard and to walk" (the "de" is useless here, thus the "to" in the translation). The closest I see to the punchline as far as I'm concerned would be "Make out with me, or go away", and it doesn't translate well in French.

"Cunt" is "con", also. Or "connard", or "connasse". Very common words around here. Aaaahh, culture...

Steersman

Re: Cristina Rad & Girl-Writes-What

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, my comment on Cristina Rad’s post on A response to GirlWritesWhat on the DMCA drama + more since it is still in moderation some 24 hours after I posted it. Maybe she simply hasn’t got around to releasing it, but then again she may have decided to go along with the other FTB sites in banning me ….
Certainly an interesting video for many reasons and you make many very good points and many will no doubt sympathize with your comments about all of the drama over this and related issues. And I rather like the closing clip of John the Other which at least raises the question of to what extent GWW might be “banging on the bongo-drum of ‘look, how much of a victim I am’” – “Drums Along the Mohawk”.

But, having let that cat out of the bag, maybe we can all agree that at least some on each side of this “drama” tend to over-play the “victim card”. Seems to me that feelings don’t always give a true representation of reality; part of our criticisms of the religious if I’m not mistaken: the feelings are certainly real enough but their correspondence to objective reality is anything but a foregone conclusion. Maybe, like good skeptics, we should all be asking for evidence and be prepared to provide it on request – and without reacting frequently with the shedding of copious quantities of crocodile tears and with charges of “troll!” and the like ….

And, speaking of evidence, while I very much question many of GWW’s arguments since many of them appear to be, as you suggest, largely speculations based on a liberal use of a crystal ball, that doesn’t appear to be the case for all of them. For instance, while the following links provide some evidence in support of the argument that the differential prevalence of “gendered roles” may have contributed to the fall of the Neaderthals and the rise of homo sapiens, they also show that that is only one possibility among several, agriculture likely to have been a major one: Wikipedia; Science Daily. In addition I would say, have said, that considering the prevalence of such roles even in lower primates, it is a bit of a stretch to argue that that wouldn’t still have been the case even with the Neanderthals.

Although, in passing, while you credibly use hypotheticals in some cases – “looks” deliberate as hell [8:49] – one might also argue that you too are apparently “guilty” of periodically relying overmuch on a crystal ball: shameless manipulation [5:14]

However, my primary criticism of your video is based on your comments about my own comment [5:22] about the difference between “may” and “must”, apropos of which is this salient definition of the latter:
must 1 (mst):
v.,v.aux.
5. a. Used to indicate inevitability or certainty: We all must die.
b. Used to indicate logical probability or presumptive certainty: If the lights were on, they must have been at home.
So while I will concede that, as you suggested in this video, your characterization of GWW’s argument in the previous video – the FreeThoughtSkepchickBlog (??) must be responsible for GirlWritesWhat getting DMCA-ed – and the use of “must” in it is certainly consistent with the second definition (5b), I might be so bold as to suggest that that argument is rather disingenuous to say the least. Seems to me that if you really intended “presumptive certainty” then you would have had no need for that statement in the first place since that “presumptive certainty” is essentially the relevant defintion of the word “may” which GWW actually used. Really not cricket – or wise – to change one’s horses in midstream, or one’s definitions in mid-argument.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Steersman wrote:FWIW, my comment on Cristina Rad’s post on A response to GirlWritesWhat on the DMCA drama + more since it is still in moderation some 24 hours after I posted it. Maybe she simply hasn’t got around to releasing it, but then again she may have decided to go along with the other FTB sites in banning me ….
A 3rd alternative presents its-self:
She can't be arsed to wade through the impenetrable sludge that is your quite unnecessarily prolix prose?
You could have distilled that verbiage down to a half-of-a-paragraph, sonny-jim.
You seem to forget that English is her second or even third language.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Steersman wrote:FWIW, my comment on Cristina Rad’s post on A response to GirlWritesWhat on the DMCA drama + more since it is still in moderation some 24 hours after I posted it. Maybe she simply hasn’t got around to releasing it, but then again she may have decided to go along with the other FTB sites in banning me ….
A 3rd alternative presents its-self:
She can't be arsed to wade through the impenetrable sludge that is your quite unnecessarily prolix prose?
You could have distilled that verbiage down to a half-of-a-paragraph, sonny-jim.
You seem to forget that English is her second or even third language.
Word to the wise ….

You might well have a point – something I’ve tried to correct, but apparently still a ways to go ….

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And a happy birthday to Justin Vacula. Dude, get awfully drunk please!
Thanks! :)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

justinvacula wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And a happy birthday to Justin Vacula. Dude, get awfully drunk please!
Thanks! :)
Ah, to be Jung again.
"Vacula".
The surname fascinates me from an etymological standpoint, and has done so for as long as I have known you, sir.
(But have only imbibed enough Dutch-Courage to sufficiently armor me to enquire forthwith)

As you well know, the "v" in most(?) Spanish accents is pronounced as though it were the English "b".
Thus, rendered in Spanish, it becometh "Bacula", or Latin for mammalian "Penis Bones".
PLURAL!! of Baculum¹.

Are you able to confirm or deny this rumor, Senator?

franc

Watson's latest threat with full details

Post by franc »

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

rayshul wrote:
sacha wrote:The basic premise of a feminist to my mum, was a woman who takes responsibility for her own life, is no victim, and is not dependent on others to solve her problems or rescue her.
My parents, also.

I think identity politics have basically shit on everything.
I have been saying it all along haven't I? Identity politics shits all over the place.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Steersman wrote:
cunt wrote:
Steersman wrote: ....
Exactly – seems to be some sort of standard operating procedure I think. My first real exposure to that was a real hissy-fit thrown by Josh, THE Official SpokesGay … bunch of prima donnas ….
I'm beginning to think of them as Cenobites (appropriately deriving from cœnobite: A member of a religious order living in a community). Like those imaginings of Clive Barker they are as merciless and unforgiving as they are repulsive. The only regret I would have with this comparison is that the original Cenobites are rather charming in their way, whereas the baboon sort are utterly charmless.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Maybe I shouldn't have exposed McCreight senior to the wider internet by posting the link to his blog post here.
Learn to be civil on the internet. Or I'll punch you in the mouth!
Still, the comments he's picking up are funny. I hope he joins in the thread.
http://kingmccreight.blogspot.se/2012/0 ... ility.html
:popcorn:

franc

Post by franc »