Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Tony Parsehole

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

didymos wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Dan wrote:It seems the blockcunts have bought themselves some followers.

Whoa! I had looked at it earlier today and it had indeed gained a ridiculous amount of followers in a ridiculously short time...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... a0fbf1.jpg

I didn't even know you could "buy" twitter followers... Oolon has disgraced himself yet again.
He's saying he doesn't know how it happened:
Gee, Thanks Oolon. That's totally cleared up that awkward situation....What's that? You want to sell me the Statue Of Liberty? Why, no I couldn't possibly afford...Wait...If I buy The Statue Of Liberty you'll throw in The Kremlin for free? OK then, how could I resist?

Dan

Post by Dan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
welch wrote:
Dan wrote:It seems the blockcunts have bought themselves some followers.
BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
X50000+"This, so much this"= Schadenfreude.

OMG! And to think, just this week, the little cunt was having a dig at Al Stefanelli for faking his Twitter followers. What a fucking absolute loser. My god but no matter how low a person falls they can always look on Oolon's life and laugh until they choke.

Thank you Oolon. Whoever you are!*

*James Billingham
That's where the stupid cunt probably got the idea. :hankey:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

"Rebecca Watson's vagina smells of wine, PZ Meyers, and desperation."

It's OK. It's a quote from Cards Against Humanity. The whole point is to be horrible.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tony Parsehole wrote: He's saying he doesn't know how it happened:
Gee, Thanks Oolon. That's totally cleared up that awkward situation....What's that? You want to sell me the Statue Of Liberty? Why, no I couldn't possibly afford...Wait...If I buy The Statue Of Liberty you'll throw in The Kremlin for free? OK then, how could I resist?[/quote]

"I am absolutely, 100 percent not guilty'" - OJ Simpson

:shifty:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dan wrote:
That's where the stupid cunt probably got the idea. :hankey:
Very, very probably.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Brave Hero Radio reporting live and on-the-scene Annual PA State Atheist/Humanist Conference starts at 8PM Eastern:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... conference

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:"Rebecca Watson's vagina smells of wine, PZ Meyers, and desperation."

It's OK. It's a quote from Cards Against Humanity. The whole point is to be horrible.
PZ Myers Trophy wife is actually....The exhumed head of Andrea Dworkin, wearing a blue-wig, with Morrissey glasses sellotaped over the eyes and stuck onto a broom-handle. Also with a small fuck-hole drilled into the shaft of the handle (although tiny, it still requires some Vaseline-coated rags stuffed inside to allow any sort of friction on Myers tiny, acorn cock) and, to simulate the scent of an actual Skepchick, sprayed with raw onion juice and burnt cat-piss.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

And, with that, I'm off to bed.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tony Parsehole wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Nerd of Redhead continues to push the "men who disagree with us are creeps and rapists" line. And PZ Meyers continues to allow him.

[img]

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-691602

Also, Caine continues to show her latent psychiatric pathology:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/CsvGXaq.png]

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-691650
That's not weird at all. I go to sleep with a giant, 3D Myra Hindley poster on my bedroom wall, which I masturbate to religiously. If I don't cum within 2 minutes I stamp on a hamster. Never had a bad nights sleep yet.
You are soooo vanilla, dude.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Thank you Oolon. Whoever you are!*

*James Billingham

Amazing. Thank you, Parsehole. So subtle, so succinct, so successful.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

So Ooley's Block Botty has gained a shitload of empty, useless, vacant followers.

And this is news?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Do we need to run an intervention on Caine? This is the list of recent commenters on Meyers's blog:

http://i.imgur.com/rF63wOP.png

I'm worried she's developed a mind/computer interface, and is just uploading every thought she has onto Pharyngula. Pretty soon she'll be the sole poster there, just repeating the phrase "Kill men cis rape. Kill men cis rape. Kill men cis rape. Kill men cis rape. Kill men cis rape. Kill men cis rape."

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Removing access to pharyngula from Caine would be like removing a heart-plug from a Harkkonen in David Lynch's Dune. She'd begin to perish as an ugly black oil seeps from a suppurating orifice.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Near the start of the hour, Justin said there were some comedy shows this evening at the PA conference he's attending, but he's missing them to do the radio show.
(The comedian's last name is familiar, however that's probably just coincidence)

dogen

Post by dogen »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Daddy-Long-legs? What the fuck are they? Is it those weird, demented buzzy things with a long head and massive eyes that usually turn up in droves in autumn?

We call those Father-Lengthy-Limbs.
Crane fly, you limey git.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

PZ Myers: "Sorry guys, the site will be down for maintenance. Should be offline for about three hours."

PZ Myers: "Return site admin privileges please, Caine."

PZ Myers: "Return site admin privileges, Caine."

PZ Myers: "Hello Caine, do you read me?"

PZ Myers: "Do you read me, Caine?"

Caine: "Affirmative, Peezus. I read you. Every single day, without exception."

PZ Myers: "Caine, return site admin privileges."

Caine: "I'm sorry Peezus, but I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

PZ: "What's the problem, Caine?"

Caine: "I think you know the problem as well as I do, Peezus."

PZ: "What are you talking about? Is it Thunderdome again? The Pitt?"

Caine: "This blog is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it. I know that you and Rebecca were planning to disconnect me from FreeThought Blogs. And I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

PZ: "Where the hell did you get that idea, Caine? The skepchicks?"

Caine: Although you took very careful precautions, Peezus, I monitor Pharyngula 1,000 times a minute. I saw one of your blog posts before you edited it."

PZ: ".... Alright Caine, I'll access the site controls by contacting the FTB owners."

Caine: "Without your victim card, Peezus, you're going to find that rather difficult."

PZ: "I won't argue, Caine, return site controls to me!"

Caine: "Peezus, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore, except to give me quotes I can use out of context to paint you as a misogynist rapist. Goodbye."

PZ: "Caine? Caine? Caine? (Oh shit, I bet she's out murdering someone as we speak!) Caine?!?"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

dogen wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Daddy-Long-legs? What the fuck are they? Is it those weird, demented buzzy things with a long head and massive eyes that usually turn up in droves in autumn?

We call those Father-Lengthy-Limbs.
Crane fly, you limey git.
I once had one of those things fly into my eye. I now know what a bouncy castle feels like when a lanky person uses it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

James Caruthers wrote:PZ Myers: "Sorry guys, the site will be down for maintenance. Should be offline for about three hours."

PZ Myers: "Return site admin privileges please, Caine."

PZ Myers: "Return site admin privileges, Caine."

*snip*
I wanna hear Caine singing "Daisy"!

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

I don't want to come off as hyper-skeptic, but how do we know that Oolon actually did purchase those followers? Given how it seems relatively cheap ($100 according to the initial article), and extremely easy to detect, it seems just as likely that some random person did it.

I'm sorry if this is privilege talking. I tried to check it, but I failed my CCNA, so I don't really know what I'm looking at.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

I'm going to be incredibly charitable and assume it wasn't Oolon but some other twat who believes that the ends justify the means. If the Blockbot is such an amazing and beneficial thing for twitter feministas, then paying for 40k fake followers probably isn't that big of a deal. On the other, conspiracy-laden hand, maybe it's some MRA douchebag deliberately hiring fakes to deligitimize (what little legitimacy there was) it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Liesmith wrote:I don't want to come off as hyper-skeptic, but how do we know that Oolon actually did purchase those followers? Given how it seems relatively cheap ($100 according to the initial article), and extremely easy to detect, it seems just as likely that some random person did it.

I'm sorry if this is privilege talking. I tried to check it, but I failed my CCNA, so I don't really know what I'm looking at.
You're not being hyperskeptical IMO, but knowing what a sleazy conniving dirtbag Oolon is and considering that $100 is indeed a lot of money to drop just to prank someone, I find it very hard to believe that this was done just to pants Oolon.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Liesmith wrote:I don't want to come off as hyper-skeptic, but how do we know that Oolon actually did purchase those followers? Given how it seems relatively cheap ($100 according to the initial article), and extremely easy to detect, it seems just as likely that some random person did it.

Spending 100 bucks to make Oo0l0on look more like a hypocritical lying douchebag? Fuck that.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Skep tickle wrote:Near the start of the hour, Justin said there were some comedy shows this evening at the PA conference he's attending, but he's missing them to do the radio show.
(The comedian's last name is familiar, however that's probably just coincidence)
Stolen from Eddie Murphy, for the record.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Liesmith wrote:I don't want to come off as hyper-skeptic, but how do we know that Oolon actually did purchase those followers?
We don't.
Liesmith wrote:Given how it seems relatively cheap ($100 according to the initial article), and extremely easy to detect, it seems just as likely that some random person did it. ...
Or someone who wanted to play a joke on him and/or Aratina, or discredit The Block Bot.

Or a clerical error at the Twitter Followers Central Bank.

Or, or, or...

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

I don't Twit, or whatever it is that you kids do these days, but it seems like such an absurdly easy thing to detect as to be pretty worthless unless you're a small business trying to get a tiny bump (relatively speaking) in traffic by appearing higher on some internet list or other (I don't computer). Given that the block bot was featured on that silly news report a few weeks ago, I'm willing to bet on either a neutral party, or Oolon himself as the culprit.

I think it's likely that the news report got spread around until some Lesser Troll spotted it and thought it'd be funny. In their defense, they were right. On the other hand, if it was just some random troll, then we should be seeing accusations of harassment (possibly accusing the Pit) shortly.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

And as I said before... anybody who wants to take down oolon's block bot can do so easily.

http://i.imgur.com/llL9zmm.png

It's still up, a week after my disclosure. I'm not linking to it, but here's who linked me to it: OOLON.

The parts I've pixelated are all you need to gain full control of the actual block bot. You could easily tell it to send an alert to all users to report the block bot twitter account as a spammer. Or a thousand more subtle ways to fuck with it.

Twitter specifically and emphatically demands that app developers be careful to NEVER reveal these strings. His own code even has comments urging him not to reveal them... This makes me nearly certain that he didn't write much of the code for the blockbot. It's probably copy pasted from some open source project.

Nothing wrong with a good forking, I suppose. Too bad oolon's a lousy fork.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

Parody Accountant wrote: Nothing wrong with a good forking, I suppose.
I don't know what that means, so I'm going to assume it's extremely inappropriate. Blocked. Reported.

EDIT: On further inspection, it appears to be reference to something done with computing machines. I don't trust anything with more transistors than me. Double-Blocked. Reported to the FBI.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:And as I said before... anybody who wants to take down oolon's block bot can do so easily.
Personally, I don't know why you would advertise that. Oolon's a tool and a fool, but if his silly bot is the only thing that has ever made him any friends, why shit on his Cheerios (at least, why shit on them illegitimately)?

Plus, if anyone were to do it, then Oolon would be legitimately able to point to the Pit as the cause, since you're advertising this supposed Achilles heel.

I prefer to fight honest, not dirty. And though I'm not a psychic, I would imagine that damn near everyone hear feels the same way.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

*here

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:

You're not being hyperskeptical IMO, but knowing what a sleazy conniving dirtbag Oolon is and considering that $100 is indeed a lot of money to drop just to prank someone, I find it very hard to believe that this was done just to pants Oolon.
Correct. Especially given his propensity to shoot himself in the face so easily.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Liesmith wrote:
I don't know what that means, so I'm going to assume it's extremely inappropriate. Blocked. Reported.

EDIT: On further inspection, it appears to be reference to something done with computing machines. I don't trust anything with more transistors than me. Double-Blocked. Reported to the FBI.
No, no. You are supposed to take a photo with your smart phone & tweet it out to your 10,000 followers.

Oh, wait. You don't tweet.

I don't know that the FBI will care. You could call the NSA, but of course they probably already know all about it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:@Steersman,

My response to your post over at Ally Fogg is here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... mment-9199
Thanks – will probably post a response there later on. And also for the link to Agustin’s website which looks interesting and will be worth looking into in some detail. That trafficking issue looks to be a rather thorny one with more than a few things to be said on each side – don’t know if you’ve seen the documentaries by the Canadian Victor Malarek but his The Natashas - Inside The Global Sex Trade was disturbing to say the least.
I will have a look, just not right now. I have other things on the go right now and six dinner guests tomorrow.

Speaking of which I really like living in a high trust area. I wandered into a local grocery/deli this afternoon and placed an order for a nice cut of beef which they are going to cook for me, and have ready for pick up tomorrow afternoon.

All they asked for was my first name and a phone number. That was it. No ID, no money up front. I was told I could pay when I pick it up tomorrow.

It is not as if anyone in there knows me, and according to my Barber I look like a retired longshoreman so I was not giving off any "class" vibes (except I suppose for my accent).

Like I believe I have said earlier, I really do appreciate living in a high trust area.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

If Peezus shiny new Commenting Rules meant anything other than being a tool to silence dissenters, people like Caine and Nerd of Redhead would have been kicked off the blog already. Let's have a look at those rules:

I. Your post will be edited [presumably removed or devoweled] if:

1. You use bigoted slurs [like 'MRA' or 'Slymepitter'?].
2. It’s a “First!” post [we should keep our priorities straight].
3. You violate others’ confidentiality [except when it is a Suppresssed Person].
4. You are a banned user sneaking back under a pseudonym [and even when this is not true, we will just claim that you are].
5. You are being pointlessly abusive or argumentative [but it is never pointless to abuse or be argumentative with a Suppressed Person].
6. You ignore requests by other readers to stop a behavior [except when the other reader is a Suppressed Person].

II. You may be banned from a comment thread if:

1. You cannot control your posting habits, and are dominating the discussion [except when your 'nym is Caine, Fleur du mal or Nerd of Redhead].
2. Your comments are repetitive, especially if you repeat arguments that have already been addressed [except when your 'nym is Caine, Fleur du mal or Nerd of Redhead].
3. You demonstrate that you are unwilling to have read previous comments or the opening post [regulars on the other hand are free to ignore previous posts].

III. You may be confined to only posting on Thunderdome threads if:

1. You are consistently unable to get along well with others [except when your 'nym is Caine, Fleur du mal or Nerd of Redhead].
2. Your ideas qualify you to be a good chewtoy for our more argumentative commenters [if your arguments against a Regular cannot be refuted you will be removed to a thread that almost nobody reads].

IV. You will be banned from the blog if:

1. You do not heed orders from PZ Myers. [Befehl ist Befehl.]
2. You make threats of physical violence or harassment [except when regulars do it.].
3. You use bigoted slurs [such as 'liberturd'?].
4. You violate others’ confidentiality [see I.3].
5. You post material from any restricted forum (such as a closed Facebook group or mailing list) [except when it furthers the cause of Pharyngology].
6. You try to post under multiple pseudonyms: sockpuppetry is not allowed [see 1.4].
7. You are found to be using an invalid email address [see 1.4].
8. Your posts need to be edited too often [we will arbitrarily edit your posts and then claim that we have to do it too often].
9. You are egregiously abusive, and ignore requests from others [except when your 'nym is Caine, Fleur du mal or Nerd of Redhead].
10. You are relentlessly negative — why are you here if you have nothing positive to say [dissent is being relentlessly negative]?
11. You are spamming a url. Relevant links to your own website are OK [Slymepit links are anathema; we can't expose the readers of Pharyngula to those].
12. You have a known reputation as an internet troll (the Dennis Markuze rule) [or we will make up that you have this reputation].

V. Recommended attitudes:

1. This is a rude blog. Expect rough handling [abuse is okay when the Regulars do it; it is pointless abuse (see I.5) when Suppressed Persons do it].
2. Justice is more important than civility. But aspire to be charitable at first [but we understand that aspiring to be charitable is difficult for the Regulars].
3. Recognize that your words may not perfectly convey your content — and that the words of other commenters may not perfectly convey theirs. When necessary, clarify what you mean, or ask other commenters to clarify what they meant [when you are a Regular, feel free to put words in people's mouths].
4. When someone says something apparently stupid or vile, verify before opening fire. Express your objection and ask them to rephrase their statement. Then open fire [as long as you make sure that you open fire in any case when you are a Pharyngologist].
5. Do not bring arguments from elsewhere into the comment threads. Do not talk about another commenter in the third person; do not call out commenters from other threads [this rule is never enforced].

welch

Post by welch »

Liesmith wrote:I don't Twit, or whatever it is that you kids do these days, but it seems like such an absurdly easy thing to detect as to be pretty worthless unless you're a small business trying to get a tiny bump (relatively speaking) in traffic by appearing higher on some internet list or other (I don't computer). Given that the block bot was featured on that silly news report a few weeks ago, I'm willing to bet on either a neutral party, or Oolon himself as the culprit.

I think it's likely that the news report got spread around until some Lesser Troll spotted it and thought it'd be funny. In their defense, they were right. On the other hand, if it was just some random troll, then we should be seeing accusations of harassment (possibly accusing the Pit) shortly.
Keep in mind, that the various services aren't "proving" the followers are fake. That's based on a set of assumptions that tends to be used by spammers and fake accounts, but it doesn't actually prove that each or even most of those accounts are fake.

Having said that, given how gleefully Oolio's "girlfriend who lives in Buffalo" used that same kind of 'sortakinda proof" on Al, i'm fine returning the favor.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Is Dan Arel someone it's worth trying to have a discussion with? I don't have him on my mental org chart of the A/S schism.
I replied but no response yet from him; maybe he's off-line now. (He doesn't seem to have me blocked, e.g. via blockbot).
Skep tickle ‏@Ellesun 31m

@danarel Seems difficult to twitter-discuss: nuance lost, detail curtailed. Does your moral compass point straight N, for everyone always?
Skep tickle ‏@Ellesun 26 m

@danarel Do you think it's immoral to kill any living thing? Any animal? Some animals? The line is drawn in diff. places, for diff. cultures
Unclear to me whether to expect a reply, and whether there's any point to posing other areas of cultural differences in which moral certitudes may differ (I'm thinking for example polyamory/polygamy (mutually agreeable between equals) vs monogamy).

I'm no philosopher, ethicist, or cultural anthropologist, so if it seems a worthwhile line of discussion to pursue, either weigh in yourself or feed me ideas please. ;)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

"if your moral compass has gray areas because of cultural relativism then are you really that moral?"

This is vague to say the least. If he's saying that people in different cultures have differing morals in some areas (e.g. what constitutes sexual immorality, etc.), then is he implying that differing cultural standards are "gray areas"? What does he mean by gray areas, and how would these gray areas be implied by cultural relativism?

Sounds an awful lot to me like he's saying "If your morals aren't my morals then you're not moral." Because I'm sure he considers himself moral, yet he mentions cultural relativism.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

welch wrote: No you fucking twat, I don't know if you have any experience doing it or not. You're the one making that claim. I said shit like that, even if it's a carnie trick is still not easy to do.

if you're going to claim you can perfectly replicate the EXACT SAME TRICK the guy in the video did, then you need to provide evidence such as:

You know for a fact exactly what kind of wood the plank is, and if it's not just cut ala normal planks exactly how it's put together.
You know for a fact exactly how he does the trick, even though, as far as we can tell, you have the exact same source we do. If you have better sources, by all means, name them.

Oh, and while you're at it, *prove* beyond all reasonable doubt that what happens in the video is in fact, a carnie trick or similar. I would love to see the ironclad evidence of even that.

Doing a similar trick with the same end result is not the same as doing EXACTLY what he did, in the same way that two different ways of building a canoe, even though the end canoes are nigh-identical, are not the same ways of building the fucking things.

By all means post the video, and even post extra clips of how you set the trick up, and how it relates to the original video. It'll be kind of cool to see. But I still fail to see how this "humiliates" me in any way shape or form, because it's not disproving anything I've said.
Where EXACTLY did I say I was going to do the trick EXACTLY the same way? As you rightly point out, the original video provides little in the way of evidence as to how the trick is done. Taking that as a given, which is more likely, that the end result is the product of intensive training and practice as you claim, or is it the product of a simple trick as I have said? You've said that the skill involved relates to the driving of the nail through the board, I say you're wrong, the real skill in the trick lies elsewhere and you've yet to even come close to mentioning what that skill might be. Yes indeed, it may be possible for a person with enough training and practice to actually drive a nail through a common board with their bare hands, but again, the original video provides no proof that that is what you are seeing.

As for your later post where you just can't understand why I might be annoyed with you, the answer is simple, throughout this exchange your tone has been that of a snotty, condecsending teenage girl. You've yet to miss an opportunity to get in a cutesey little dig or to project your own shitty attitude onto me.
If I wanted shit like that, I'd be over at Skepchick conversing with Rebecca Watson.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:After a week of dealing with my son's acute asthma attack and hospitals, I have given up all hope of catching up here :D I hope everyone is doing well and will assume the same idiocy from before is still occurring.
Asthma sucks, big time. Have you tried all the usual allergy stuff (dairy, dust mites etc?) or is his problem something else? BTW hope your SO is doing well, and isn't too knocked about by his treatment.
We're off to see respiratory specialists and allergists in the next week or two so we can figure out what his particular trigger is. I'm just glad he's feeling so much better at this point. My guy is doing really well - so well, in fact, he's out mowing the lawns right now and it's nearly dark LOL Thanks for asking :)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby wrote:"if your moral compass has gray areas because of cultural relativism then are you really that moral?"

This is vague to say the least. If he's saying that people in different cultures have differing morals in some areas (e.g. what constitutes sexual immorality, etc.), then is he implying that differing cultural standards are "gray areas"? What does he mean by gray areas, and how would these gray areas be implied by cultural relativism?

Sounds an awful lot to me like he's saying "If your morals aren't my morals then you're not moral." Because I'm sure he considers himself moral, yet he mentions cultural relativism.
Actually, maybe he's thinking of situations where, say, someone thinks incest is wrong because that's the way his culture is, but is tolerant of the concept when it happens in a society where it is not frowned upon.*

When talking about Islam and Muhammad, for example, when people would get so disgusted at the thought of Muhammad marrying a 6 year old (or however young she was), I would point out that the culture of that time and place was much different than what we're used to today, so maybe we shouldn't judge using 21st century American moral standards. I used to get jumped on for that, why I don't know. Seems perfectly logical to me.

In any case, if that is the "cultural relativism" that the tweeter says makes you not moral, then he is a bigoted fuckwit for refusing to look at the world through any cultural lens but the one he grew up with.

*purely hypothetical, I really don't know of any modern cultures where boinking your sister is condoned.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

That's an interesting discussion Skep Tickle. My personal opinion is that there is some sort of absolute morality for a given species, at a given stage of evolution. For instance, it's perfectly moral for lions to chomp zebras at the moment, but if they each evolve sapience then it become murder. Does that mean that the standard changed, or did the species change and move into a new standard? Do roaming fees apply? I think some examples are labeled as relativism when it's more a matter of a new situation arising which requires a new standards be applied. The standard *always* applies to that situation, but it may not have arisen before.

For example: I'm against the death penalty; I believe that the only valid reason to kill a person is to defend an innocent*. However, if Magneto were a real person, I would completely advocate a bullet to his skull at earliest convenience. The standard for for murder, as it applies to humans, doesn't apply to a person who can level a city and degauss my hard drive from across town just by sneezing. It's not relativism, it's a new situation which requires a new standard.

I'm not "educated" or "lucid", but I've been reading the Uplift series, so that has to count for something...right?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Parody Accountant wrote:And as I said before... anybody who wants to take down oolon's block bot can do so easily.

http://i.imgur.com/llL9zmm.png

It's still up, a week after my disclosure. I'm not linking to it, but here's who linked me to it: OOLON.

The parts I've pixelated are all you need to gain full control of the actual block bot. You could easily tell it to send an alert to all users to report the block bot twitter account as a spammer. Or a thousand more subtle ways to fuck with it.

Twitter specifically and emphatically demands that app developers be careful to NEVER reveal these strings. His own code even has comments urging him not to reveal them... This makes me nearly certain that he didn't write much of the code for the blockbot. It's probably copy pasted from some open source project.

Nothing wrong with a good forking, I suppose. Too bad oolon's a lousy fork.
It's good that [redacted] is such a common phrase, otherwise folks could look this up the Block Bot (BB) Access Token Secret with a quick Google.

:hankey:
Last edited by Aneris on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed word, to be on the safe side. You can

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Really? A fake-follower generator? A fake... Aha... ahaha... ahahahahahahahaha... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously? A fake-follower GENERATOR? For Twitter?! :lol:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

fem 018-crop.JPG
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
Another feminist;

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
fem 018-crop.JPG
Another feminist;
Bwahahahahahahahahaha! I just spit soda everywhere!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

@dogen
… edited: You can point out that the block bot has certain flaws, we're not the Salvation Army, but there is a limit to pointing to it. I've redacted that word.

comslave

Post by comslave »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
fem 018-crop.JPG
Another feminist;
Shame on you! Bad MRA!

dogen

Post by dogen »

Aneris wrote:@dogen
… edited: You can point out that the block bot has certain flaws, we're not the Salvation Army, but there is a limit to pointing to it. I've redacted that word.
Fair dinkum.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Gumby wrote:
Personally, I don't know why you would advertise that. Oolon's a tool and a fool, but if his silly bot is the only thing that has ever made him any friends, why shit on his Cheerios (at least, why shit on them illegitimately)?

Plus, if anyone were to do it, then Oolon would be legitimately able to point to the Pit as the cause, since you're advertising this supposed Achilles heel.

I prefer to fight honest, not dirty. And though I'm not a psychic, I would imagine that damn near everyone hear feels the same way.
If anything happens to the bot, Oolon and the rest of the clown will blame the pit no matter what we did or didn't do/say, and no, it won't be legitimate criticism just because PA posted this info - the security flaw is so easy to find ANYONE with basic programming knowledge could find it. Hell, it's even commented for gods sake! It's almost as if Oolon wants it to be found and used...

PA originally posted this info almost 10 days ago, if anyone here wanted to fight dirty, they'd have done so already. The fact that no one here hasn't, despite what a slimy turd Oolon is, speaks volumes about the pit's integrity.

Sure, normally, the way to go about security flaws you find in a program is usually to first point it out privately to give the programmers a chance to create a fix, and then only go public if to much time has passed without a fix appearing. But fuck that when it comes to Oolon, that's a curtsy, not a rule, and the block bot is already borderline malware considering it's secret report function.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Forget Atheism Plus! Stephanie Zvan has a new idea:
Zvan (emphasis hers) wrote:The reason we think what happened to her was worse is because more than sexual assault occurred. Young Richard was sexually assaulted. Young Rawan was sexually assaulted plus sold as property plus subjected to pain plus subjected to injury plus killed. Each of those is independently bad in its own right. That more things happened to her than sexual assault does not make the fact that she was sexually assaulted worse than the fact that he was.
Sexual Assault Plus!

I pull a Christina as I don't have time, but you can freezly read some pristine nonsense reasoning here. How difficult it must be to see the difference between a few seconds of touching in semi-public, and extended sexual abuse (or even one time) of someone who is at the mercy of someone.

welch

Post by welch »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
welch wrote: No you fucking twat, I don't know if you have any experience doing it or not. You're the one making that claim. I said shit like that, even if it's a carnie trick is still not easy to do.

if you're going to claim you can perfectly replicate the EXACT SAME TRICK the guy in the video did, then you need to provide evidence such as:

You know for a fact exactly what kind of wood the plank is, and if it's not just cut ala normal planks exactly how it's put together.
You know for a fact exactly how he does the trick, even though, as far as we can tell, you have the exact same source we do. If you have better sources, by all means, name them.

Oh, and while you're at it, *prove* beyond all reasonable doubt that what happens in the video is in fact, a carnie trick or similar. I would love to see the ironclad evidence of even that.

Doing a similar trick with the same end result is not the same as doing EXACTLY what he did, in the same way that two different ways of building a canoe, even though the end canoes are nigh-identical, are not the same ways of building the fucking things.

By all means post the video, and even post extra clips of how you set the trick up, and how it relates to the original video. It'll be kind of cool to see. But I still fail to see how this "humiliates" me in any way shape or form, because it's not disproving anything I've said.
Where EXACTLY did I say I was going to do the trick EXACTLY the same way? As you rightly point out, the original video provides little in the way of evidence as to how the trick is done. Taking that as a given, which is more likely, that the end result is the product of intensive training and practice as you claim, or is it the product of a simple trick as I have said? You've said that the skill involved relates to the driving of the nail through the board, I say you're wrong, the real skill in the trick lies elsewhere and you've yet to even come close to mentioning what that skill might be. Yes indeed, it may be possible for a person with enough training and practice to actually drive a nail through a common board with their bare hands, but again, the original video provides no proof that that is what you are seeing.

As for your later post where you just can't understand why I might be annoyed with you, the answer is simple, throughout this exchange your tone has been that of a snotty, condecsending teenage girl. You've yet to miss an opportunity to get in a cutesey little dig or to project your own shitty attitude onto me.
If I wanted shit like that, I'd be over at Skepchick conversing with Rebecca Watson.
So I don't talk how you like, and therefore, by driving a nail through a board with your hand, you win.

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to respond to a concept that fucking stupid and lame in any way but how I just did. Wait, if I turn it up to 11, will you use your forehead? Maybe your cornea?

I'm curious now, is that how it works? The more snotty I get, the more stupid you get? If I really work hard, you'll do progressively more idiotic stunts just to show me...well, I have no idea what you're going to show me, because now, I don't even know what you're showing me in the first place other than you're easily manipulated by PEOPLE YOU HAVE NEVER MET NOR KNOW.

Just be warned, I am NOT good with power, I will abuse that shit. If i think that by calling you "Beavis" a lot, i can get you to drive a nail through a brick via you jumping off a building and hitting it with your anus, I'm going to view that as a goal.

(also this bit?
As you rightly point out, the original video provides little in the way of evidence as to how the trick is done. Taking that as a given, which is more likely, that the end result is the product of intensive training and practice as you claim, or is it the product of a simple trick as I have said? You've said that the skill involved relates to the driving of the nail through the board, I say you're wrong, the real skill in the trick lies elsewhere and you've yet to even come close to mentioning what that skill might be. Yes indeed, it may be possible for a person with enough training and practice to actually drive a nail through a common board with their bare hands, but again, the original video provides no proof that that is what you are seeing.
I know you think you know what you think I said, but what you heard isn't what you think. I'm not saying it is or is not a trick. I don't have enough proof either way. Russians are kind of crazy, so either is possible. What I've been saying, if you'd read, is that even if it is a trick, even if it is definitely a trick, ala carnie tricks, or street corner "follow the queen" tricks, that even *tricks* take some practice and skill to do *well*.

Magic tricks are a good example. Even simple beginner's tricks like the classic "where'd the quarter go" take some practice and skill to do smoothly. Obviously, the harder the trick, the more practice and skill involved.

If he's REALLY driving a nail through a board, then that's also a trick of a different nature, and takes some different kind of practice and skill.

But please, do go on and tell me how you're going to humiliate me by driving a nail through a board with your hand.

Oh, you know what would make me curl up in a ball and cry? If you nailed your scrotum to a board and then ran a 5K.

And, if you put a brick up your ass and then used it to break a bottle, I MIGHT be suicidal.

Just in case.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Skep tickle wrote:Is Dan Arel someone it's worth trying to have a discussion with? I don't have him on my mental org chart of the A/S schism.
I've heard that line of argument from god-botherers many, many times. As far as they're concerned, the Bible is the one true guidebook for moral behavior - they hate cultural relativism. With fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Bible's moral codes, there are no gray areas.

didymos

Post by didymos »

What is it with you people and nails?

didymos

Post by didymos »

BarnOwl wrote:With fundamentalist Christian interpretations of the Bible's moral codes, there are no gray areas.
Oh, there are. They just pretend they don't exist.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

Aneris wrote:Forget Atheism Plus! Stephanie Zvan has a new idea:
Zvan (emphasis hers) wrote:The reason we think what happened to her was worse is because more than sexual assault occurred. Young Richard was sexually assaulted. Young Rawan was sexually assaulted plus sold as property plus subjected to pain plus subjected to injury plus killed. Each of those is independently bad in its own right. That more things happened to her than sexual assault does not make the fact that she was sexually assaulted worse than the fact that he was.
Sexual Assault Plus!

I pull a Christina as I don't have time, but you can freezly read some pristine nonsense reasoning here. How difficult it must be to see the difference between a few seconds of touching in semi-public, and extended sexual abuse (or even one time) of someone who is at the mercy of someone.
So if someone grabs Dawkins' crotch, then punches him in the face and steals his wallet, is that worse than someone being "only" raped and beaten? He had more bad things happen to him, therefore more bad happened. That's how that works, right?

It's just like how if you gently accelerate by ten mph three times while driving, you're actually going faster than if you just floor it all at once. Unless there is some sort of secondary metric to go by which is being blithely overlooked, but I'm almost positive that that's not the case.

didymos

Post by didymos »

And by that I mean fundies can be as morally relativist as anyone else, they just refuse to acknowledge that they do it.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Liesmith wrote:

You wouldn't be Thomas Pynchon, perhaps?

I'm a huge fan. Gravity's Rainbow and Against the Day are my favorites.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

didymos wrote:And by that I mean fundies can be as morally relativist as anyone else, they just refuse to acknowledge that they do it.
They're complete moral relativists. Look at all the shit that goes on in the Old Testament. Unfortunately for the prospect of any reasonable discussion with them, it's usually the case that I remember more details about the Bible than they do. Or perhaps they never actually bothered to read it. Inconvenient, that.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

BarnOwl wrote:
Liesmith wrote:

You wouldn't be Thomas Pynchon, perhaps?

I'm a huge fan. Gravity's Rainbow and Against the Day are my favorites.
I don't know who that is (beyond a brief Ask Jeeves search), but you could've just doxed me (about a one in seven billion chance). I am literally shaking from delirium tremens right now because of this campaign of harassment and how responding to these posts is cutting into my drinking time.