Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
John D

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by John D »

Here is the best version of "Final Countdown" evar!

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

deLurch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Being unable to block "Guest" makes me feel like I'm in Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Allow me to introduce you to some new space age technology from the future that will solve all of your problems.

But don't let the secret out yet. I am so going to patent my technique on how to avoid boring posts. Look forward to my kickstarter fund raising campaign. I hear the MRAs don't like it so it should fund well.
Ooh, she's got a lovely action...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Being unable to block "Guest" makes me feel like I'm in Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Allow me to introduce you to some new space age technology from the future that will solve all of your problems.

But don't let the secret out yet. I am so going to patent my technique on how to avoid boring posts. Look forward to my kickstarter fund raising campaign. I hear the MRAs don't like it so it should fund well.
Have you come up with a name for this ... Thing?

Post by Guest »

deLurch wrote:
Please include **NSFW** next time. I got fired and I have 3 kids to feed.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Eskarina wrote:
Early Cuyler wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Ophelia spots the Mr Deity video. :D

No need to click the link, she just posts the video along with the following three words:

"Behold an asshole"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... us-geddit/
I love the first comment. "I thought he was one of the good guys".

pfft!! They're so far into the us vs them mentality it makes the baby Jesus puke.
Too dumb to post. :doh:

Comment No. 4 isn't half-bad, either: "Never watching one of his videos again."

Post by Guest »

No need to click the link, she just posts the video along with the following three words:

"Behold an asshole"

In the comments:
Anthony K wrote:And if you’re in school (or a town hall, or congress) and someone asks you to pray, just don’t do it. That’s how atheists with backbones and personal responsibility handle such things.
So long as said person isn't a teacher paid with government money, yes. That IS how you handle it.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
deLurch wrote: Allow me to introduce you to some new space age technology from the future that will solve all of your problems.

Not yet. The final product might be a bit pricey, but finding that many disembodied hands can be a bit difficult. Right now I am attempting to source suppliers from either China or India for the best price. However for my initial run, I may have to source suppliers from my local country just to ensure quality control is high and they follow our technical specifications to a T.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

16bitheretic wrote:

"Behold an asshole"

Jesus Christ, how did she ever gain as much notoriety as she does with her shitty blogging style? She should just Twitter everything instead.
The old 'Butterflies and Wheels' was a joint effort of several writers (as well as Ophelia it featured Jeremy Stangroom and Julian Baggini.)
It was very different compared to the current Ophelia-only version. There was plenty of good (and even humorous!) articles published and it had a strong stance against identity politics and post-modernism.
Ophelia's reputation came from that time period and, in particular, from the books she co-authored with Baggini and later Stangroom.
It is hard not to draw the conclusion that she doesn't function well as an independent author and that she is in sore need of an editor who can point out where she is going wrong.

Post by Guest »

This one is better:
Caine, Fleur du mal wrote:The ‘Mr. Deity’ part was fine, it was the afterword that is, um, problematic.* He goes on at some length that stating anything anonymously should never, ever be accepted, especially by all those wonderful, genius skeptic types.

*Understatement, for the nuance-impaired.
Some fine nuance there from Caine. She totally described Deity's position accurately.

Post by Guest »

zenbabe wrote:They should get the time to ease into real adulthood, their brains, their psychologies, need time to catch up to their bodies. A 13 year old boy or girl might be sexually mature physically, but that doesn't give a full blown adult (not a woman, nor a man) in their 20s, 30s, etc the right take advantage of that and screw up their minds, which are still fairly childlike.
What empirical research has been done on harm from say 14 year olds having sex with 20 year olds? What does "screw up their minds" even mean? How are their minds supposed to develop to handle the reality of human life if they are for years fed an asexual caricature of the world?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:

"Behold an asshole"

In the comments:
Anthony K wrote:And if you’re in school (or a town hall, or congress) and someone asks you to pray, just don’t do it. That’s how atheists with backbones and personal responsibility handle such things.
So long as said person isn't a teacher paid with government money, yes. That IS how you handle it.
That's how normal, well-adjusted people do it. Remember that they are not normal or well-adjusted by any means. However, I think he's referring to specific cases of Constitutional violations, which is another kettle of fish. That doesn't change the fact that even in those cases, the adult thing to do is not pray and take action afterwards.

There's a vast difference between (a) a family dinner where someone wants to pray, (b) a workplace party where someone wants to pray and asks others to do it, (c) a workplace where the management wants everyone to pray and (d) a school or government function where they start off with a prayer. Two involve requests, two involve power positions of authority and are civil rights or Constitutional issues. But the reaction for me should be the same. You don't have to be a dick about it - and that's coming from someone who still considers himself a Gnu and a confrontationist. I guess working in a public school moderated my views (well, and common basic humanity, I'd add).

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

welch wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
The problem with kids from 13-18 (particularly on the younger end of that range) is that they're so fresh into some sort of adulthood. Their bodies might be all grown up, but their brains sure as hell aren't, for males I think the frontal cortex isn't finished wiring itself up until early 20s? They should get the time to ease into real adulthood, their brains, their psychologies, need time to catch up to their bodies. A 13 year old boy or girl might be sexually mature physically, but that doesn't give a full blown adult (not a woman, nor a man) in their 20s, 30s, etc the right take advantage of that and screw up their minds, which are still fairly childlike.
Part of the problem is that at least in the US, we don't take adulthood seriously. For example, drinking. We spend 21 years telling kids NONONONONONO, and then at midnight on their 21st birthday, we say "OKAY KID, DO AS THOU WILT", and are shocked, SHOCKED that it doesn't turn out well.

Same thing with sex and all the other 'privileges' of adulthood. The US spends a lot of time laying the groundwork to sabotage the fuck out of kids from 18 on, and then we act all shocked and butthurt that kids between 18 and oh, 25-26 are a pack of fucking idiots. Well, what do you expect? "Gosh, I have no experience whatsoever with sex and drinking, but lo, magically due to my age, all the wisdom required to manage some of the trickiest shit I will ever deal with has poured itself into my fucking skull, and I shall of course be totes responsible with those things."

I'm surprised kids handle that shit as well as they do.
Agreed so hard.

I think Tolkien had it right when he talked of Hobbits and their "tween" years, maintaining that real adulthood wasn't begun until their 30s, and find it generally applicable to today's culture in particular. Certainly true in my own case anyway.

Your comment about packs of 18-26ish year olds reminded me, as a side note, of back when I was waitressing and such. The very worst groups of people to deal with as a server were the ones in their 20s, be they males, females, or a mix. Erratic and emotional. Worse than those, though, were parties of high school teachers, of any age and any sex. They were consistently, year after year, en masse, the most immature, rude, horrible packs of idiots I ever had the distinct displeasure of serving.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote: but finding that many disembodied hands can be a bit difficult. Right now I am attempting to source suppliers from either China or India for the best price.
You might consider trying places where Sharia is in force.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest wrote:What empirical research has been done on harm from say 14 year olds having sex with 20 year olds? What does "screw up their minds" even mean? How are their minds supposed to develop to handle the reality of human life if they are for years fed an asexual caricature of the world?
I am sure we could agree that a 14 year old either becoming pregnant or becoming a father can have very significant negative affects on such a young teen. Not even being legal adults, they cannot even find work to support a child.

My rule of thumb is that if you are not mature enough to go buy birth control, you are not mature enough to have sex.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
deLurch wrote: Allow me to introduce you to some new space age technology from the future that will solve all of your problems.

Not yet. The final product might be a bit pricey, but finding that many disembodied hands can be a bit difficult. Right now I am attempting to source suppliers from either China or India for the best price. However for my initial run, I may have to source suppliers from my local country just to ensure quality control is high and they follow our technical specifications to a T.
Can't find the source, but I think Vox Dei (good ol' Teddy Beale) beat you to it. Look up "War Mouse" if memory serves. You'll get a laugh.

welch

Post by welch »

Ä uest wrote:
welch wrote:
Ä uest wrote:
Really? That's really welch typing that in, or was he hacked?
Dude, how many times here have I called someone a baboon?
No, you just go off on multi-day tangents excoriating people, often over some minor disagreements, often using the same "listening" skills as a Genghis Khan.

Whether you call someone an FTB baboon or whether you act like a IRL baboon, I am not sure I see the difference. Pot kettle black.
Ah, so because I don't behave as you wish..i can't comment on things. Oh look at you and your small-child logic. "Billy's a meany, so he can't say that I'm stupid."

Good for you son, good for you.

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:
welch wrote:
Guest wrote:
The baboonite arguments were coming from yourself and I explained why that was the case in the previous post. Now, fuck off, cunt.
You get used to that around here. Not behaving the way someone else thinks you should? Baboon. It's pretty much the "I don't like you, you're a big mean poopy-head" argument. It's about as effective a rejoinder as a one of the high school jocks yelling "FAAG" as they drive by while you walk your dog. They are terribly amused by it, you wonder just what the fuck happened, shrug and watch your dog do its business.

You'll find a correlation between the "BABOON" yellers and the "I'M IGNORING YOU, YOU'RE A CUNT" lot.

I'm sure the horrible, horrible pain i'm in from a bunch of people I don't know calling me names comes through.
You're such a baboon for saying that. I'm ignoring you from now on. You're a cunt. OPINION is not EVIDENCE. * FLOOOSH * as per Hitchen's quote. DATA_ERROR. SYSTEM_FAILURE. REBOOT. REBOOT.

AND NOW I CRY!

Dan

Post by Dan »

Peezus seems to be trying to bury his slander posts under a ton of shitty little posts. Is this a sign of of things to come?

:hankey:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Badger3k wrote:Can't find the source, but I think Vox Dei (good ol' Teddy Beale) beat you to it. Look up "War Mouse" if memory serves. You'll get a laugh.
Sorry. I tried running a search on "War Mouse," but the best I came up with is what appears to be PTSD Mouse.

http://i.imgur.com/ydXgrIU.jpg

The poor thing probably had a bad time on twitter.

Post by Guest »

deLurch wrote: I am sure we could agree that a 14 year old either becoming pregnant or becoming a father can have very significant negative affects on such a young teen. Not even being legal adults, they cannot even find work to support a child.
There are ways to prevent pregnancy.
deLurch wrote:My rule of thumb is that if you are not mature enough to go buy birth control, you are not mature enough to have sex.
In the real world plenty of 12 year olds have sex, generally with people their same age. Your rule of thumb is inadequate to deal with reality.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Ä uest wrote:
welch wrote:
No, you just go off on multi-day tangents excoriating people, often over some minor disagreements, often using the same "listening" skills as a Genghis Khan.

Whether you call someone an FTB baboon or whether you act like a IRL baboon, I am not sure I see the difference. Pot kettle black.
You take welch too seriously.

welch

Post by welch »

deLurch wrote:
Guest wrote:What empirical research has been done on harm from say 14 year olds having sex with 20 year olds? What does "screw up their minds" even mean? How are their minds supposed to develop to handle the reality of human life if they are for years fed an asexual caricature of the world?
I am sure we could agree that a 14 year old either becoming pregnant or becoming a father can have very significant negative affects on such a young teen. Not even being legal adults, they cannot even find work to support a child.

My rule of thumb is that if you are not mature enough to go buy birth control, you are not mature enough to have sex.

unfortunately, all too few people are teaching their kids what they need to know to properly handle sex.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:
Ä uest wrote:
welch wrote:

You take welch too seriously.
Never take me that seriously. I'm not worth it.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Guest (one of countless many) asked (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 78#p118378):
As an aside, does Zvan regularly delete comments she doesn't like without even commenting on the deletion or explaining why?
Yes. As do the FC(n) in toto.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

1 hour to go, no change at grenade central. I wonder how many people will near simultaneously freezepage PZ's defiance past deadline...

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Time's running out, PZ! Looks like my prediction (that he would cave in and apologize) may have been mistaken! :popcorn:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote: In the real world plenty of 12 year olds have sex, generally with people their same age. Your rule of thumb is inadequate to deal with reality.
And their parents have no clue at all. That was my experience anyway. Then you feel embarrassed for your parents (I did anyway), when a couple of years later they try to tell you about the "birds and the bees". Pretty hilarious actually.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

welch wrote: Never take me that seriously. I'm not worth it.
Mmm...low self esteem...let me top up your glass for you....

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

welch wrote:
Ah, so because I don't behave as you wish..i can't comment on things. Oh look at you and your small-child logic. "Billy's a meany, so he can't say that I'm stupid."

Heh. Never said you can't comment on things.

I said the way you intentionally misread or just misinterpret what other people write, combined with the over the top multiple day harangues from you is why so many registered users of the SlymePit love and treasure their ignore/block button.

Go ahead comment on whatever you want however you want. #IgnorantWelch #HaranguingWelch #FlouncingWelch #WelchRapeDrinkNutritionInfo

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

All eyes on the Slymepit and someone starts making the case for Pedos. How unsurprising.
It couldn't play better if we really did have deep cover FtB trolls here.

Git

Post by Git »

Prof. Ceiling Cat (Jerry Coyne) obliquely refers to the last few mins of Mr Deity's video at:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... d-mr-deity

He calls it
The last few minutes of the video are an interesting disquisition on skepticism.
:-)

Whig

Post by Whig »

Anybody know the process for filing a law suit after a cease and desist letter has been ignored?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news, the latest Ally Fogg is up:

The Equal Treatment Fallacy
http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... t-fallacy/

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Git wrote:Prof. Ceiling Cat (Jerry Coyne) obliquely refers to the last few mins of Mr Deity's video at:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... d-mr-deity

He calls it
The last few minutes of the video are an interesting disquisition on skepticism.
:-)
:lol: I just saw that and I thought Jerry is teasing PZ. You have to live under a rock to not get the last part but I like how Jerry is very subtly passive-aggressive. It's like he's torturing PZ with a feather.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Whig wrote:Anybody know the process for filing a law suit after a cease and desist letter has been ignored?
Pretty Sure Michael Shermer will know a fair bit about that right now, as will his solicitors. A cease and decist with a middle of day rather than close of play deadline suggests to me, in all my ignorance, that the suit will be filed today rather than waiting till tomorrow.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

bhoytony wrote:There can be only one

[youtube]XAg5KjnAhuU[/youtube]
The appropriateness of this. I am slain.

49 minutes!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Welch said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 79#p118379):
In terms of music, that's actually a fairly recent thing. Even into the mid-1960s, Albums were collections of singles, nothing more.
Well, as a one-time professional, I am going to have to say Yes and No to that. Some Big Band era bands (most notably, Artie Shaw -- I think) and producers did aim to order tracks, and certainly many artists in the early 60s (Dylan, the Stones, Zeppelin, Beatles, and several others) also spent quite a bit of time planning/testing track order.

As an aside, George Martin's (Beatles producer) process was a fairly simple "Open with the strongest tune; close with the weakest".

Another Beatles titbit for you: the Beatles' England-based albums never (with a few exceptions beginning with either the White album, or Abbey Road) included singles, because the British prodcuers and public felt that was a rip off, in effect pushing the consumer to buy some songs twice. In America, the singles were always included on the albums.
One of the problems with having the album be the primary sales unit is of course, that for every Zappa, you have stores full of shit. Maybe one good track off an entire album. So great, you'd spend your 7-10 bucks for what turned out to be a song. That, as much as anything made the idea of buying singles popular. one good track on the album? No problem, just buy the one good one and be done with it.
Excellent point.
The biggest "crime" things like iTunes and the iPod did was give the consumer the ability to not have to buy 45 minutes of shit to get 3 minutes of genius.
While this is true (the bit about not having to buy a bunch of shit just to listen to 3 minutes of grand), I think that iTunes/iPod are guilty of some other crimes, but this is neither the time nor place to debate that.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Welch said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 81#p118381):
A variant is to reply to a comment, demand you reply in <timelimit> or you're admitting you're wrong, all after banning you from commenting.
ToiletBowl uses a variant of that variant -- he usually doesn't include a time limit though.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

clownshoe wrote:All eyes on the Slymepit and someone starts making the case for Pedos. How unsurprising.
It couldn't play better if we really did have deep cover FtB trolls here.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... /rofl2.gif

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Southern wrote:
I agree with all your points, but: 13 to 14 may not be legally pedophilia, "just" statutory rape or something along those lines. I don't know if in the US of A there is a legal difference between those two, but here where I live there is: age 16+ may be fair game, depending on circumstances (place, consent, presence or absence of alcohol; in this case, there is a good reason why "moderately drunk" equals "not able to consent", since minors shouldn't be drinking); ages 14 to 16 it's somewhat sketchy, and you may be charged with sexual assault, depending on circumstances; 13 and below, it's statutory rape, abuse of a minor, sexual assault, and other criminal charges, no question asked.

Either way, an adult should know better than sleep with prebubescent/early pubescent younglings. Specially if they lived 30+ years over this pale blue dot - they got time to learn how to behave and control themselves.
All this discussion about age of consent reminds me of a scene in The Pirate Movie. Sorry, couldn't find a Youtube clip....

Pirate King: "By the way, what's the age of consent around here?"
Mabel: "Sixteen."
Pirate King: "Good! I'm old enough."

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Guest wrote:
zenbabe wrote:They should get the time to ease into real adulthood, their brains, their psychologies, need time to catch up to their bodies. A 13 year old boy or girl might be sexually mature physically, but that doesn't give a full blown adult (not a woman, nor a man) in their 20s, 30s, etc the right take advantage of that and screw up their minds, which are still fairly childlike.
What empirical research has been done on harm from say 14 year olds having sex with 20 year olds? What does "screw up their minds" even mean? How are their minds supposed to develop to handle the reality of human life if they are for years fed an asexual caricature of the world?
Hey!
Relax, Guest!
Can I pour you a glass of wine?

I am not Steersman, I don't have to reference research material to form or express an opinion. I realize people mature at different rates. But as DiLurk mentioned, pregnancy is a real risk to sexual conduct and I don't believe a 14 year old is mentally capable of raising a child. Aside from that, I don't think an average 14 year old is acquainted with their own mind, has their own identity firmly built up, and I think sex with an adult can mess up that process of discovery, because it can push the 14 year old into a psychological state (that of the average 20 year old's, per your example) that they're not prepared to deal with yet.

I said nothing about being "asexual", two 14 year olds, or a 14 and a 16 year old, exploring sex with each other doesn't bother me (though dear god let them know how to use condoms), and I agree that someone completely sheltered and uneducated about sex is woefully, tragically unprepared for the real world.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

HAHAHAHA. On Ophies, Behold: an asshole post, according to the comments, Mr Deity's latter bit in the video was ... wait for it:
... [mansplaining] to women how to take responsibility for their drinking.
... [preaching ...] by someone who apparently doesn’t care about women.
... a pure, disgusting case of the whole shithead creed “bros before hos” spouted by a so-called skeptic.
et-fucking-cetera.

It is to die; it is to laugh.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Can't find the source, but I think Vox Dei (good ol' Teddy Beale) beat you to it. Look up "War Mouse" if memory serves. You'll get a laugh.
Sorry. I tried running a search on "War Mouse," but the best I came up with is what appears to be PTSD Mouse.

http://i.imgur.com/ydXgrIU.jpg

The poor thing probably had a bad time on twitter.
Found the old ATBC thread - the fun starts here

http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item1 ... rMouse.png

Although looking through the images, this seems appropriate: http://funnypicturesimages.com/images/i ... -mouse.jpg

Or maybe...http://images.cpcache.com/merchandise/5 ... 54075,w:16

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

John Greg wrote:HAHAHAHA. On Ophies, Behold: an asshole post, according to the comments, Mr Deity's latter bit in the video was ... wait for it:
... [mansplaining] to women how to take responsibility for their drinking.
... [preaching ...] by someone who apparently doesn’t care about women.
... a pure, disgusting case of the whole shithead creed “bros before hos” spouted by a so-called skeptic.
et-fucking-cetera.

It is to die; it is to laugh.
It really is pathetic.

"You told her to say no if she didn't want more drink? You patronising mansplaining bastard!"

welch

Post by welch »

Tapir wrote:
But...i can't...WHY ARE YOU RAPING ME!!!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ah, this day is getting better and better:
SF writer Theodore Beale, who blogs as Vox Day, announced that he has been expelled from the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. He posted a letter from SFWA President Steven Gould that reads, in part:

After careful consideration of the evidence gathered by the Board-appointed investigator and your response, and in compliance with the existing Massachusetts By-Laws, the approved operations and procedures, and legal counsel, the SFWA Board has unanimously voted for your expulsion from the organization, effective immediately. This has been a difficult decision, but thorough examination of the evidence and the situation makes it clear that this action is necessary to best serve the interests of the organization and its members.

Beale, a lifetime SFWA member who ran unsuccessfully for SFWA president earlier this year, concludes, “I shall attempt to find the wherewithal to soldier on, somehow.”

In June, Beale used a promotional SFWA Twitter feed, @SFWAauthors, to link to remarks he made on his blog, where he called another author “half-savage” and an editor a “fat frog,” among other inflammatory remarks.

Many SFWA members, including Jim C. Hines and Amal El-Mohtar, immediately began to call for his expulsion for misuse of a SFWA service. (Though the tweets by Beale were removed, the blog post is available here).

Update: SFWA’s official statement is available at SFWA.org.
http://www.locusmag.com/News/2013/08/be ... from-sfwa/

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

welch

Post by welch »

Ä uest wrote:
welch wrote:

Heh. Never said you can't comment on things.

I said the way you intentionally misread or just misinterpret what other people write, combined with the over the top multiple day harangues from you is why so many registered users of the SlymePit love and treasure their ignore/block button.

Go ahead comment on whatever you want however you want. #IgnorantWelch #HaranguingWelch #FlouncingWelch #WelchRapeDrinkNutritionInfo

Oh THAT'S your schtick. "you disagree with me so you must be intentionally misunderstanding me or some other nefarious explanation, for it is unpossible that one could disagree with me and not be wrong"

Okay, whatever you say Sherman.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

bovarchist wrote:
Southern wrote:
I agree with all your points, but: 13 to 14 may not be legally pedophilia, "just" statutory rape or something along those lines. I don't know if in the US of A there is a legal difference between those two, but here where I live there is: age 16+ may be fair game, depending on circumstances (place, consent, presence or absence of alcohol; in this case, there is a good reason why "moderately drunk" equals "not able to consent", since minors shouldn't be drinking); ages 14 to 16 it's somewhat sketchy, and you may be charged with sexual assault, depending on circumstances; 13 and below, it's statutory rape, abuse of a minor, sexual assault, and other criminal charges, no question asked.

Either way, an adult should know better than sleep with prebubescent/early pubescent younglings. Specially if they lived 30+ years over this pale blue dot - they got time to learn how to behave and control themselves.
All this discussion about age of consent reminds me of a scene in The Pirate Movie. Sorry, couldn't find a Youtube clip....

"When I was your age I could say goodbye five times." (or something like that, it's been years)

Another favorite:
"Nuts!"
"Them too."

Sorry, I can't believe anyone else watched it. I make no apologies for liking it. A fun movie and I like the songs.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:

"Behold an asshole"

Jesus Christ, how did she ever gain as much notoriety as she does with her shitty blogging style? She should just Twitter everything instead.
The old 'Butterflies and Wheels' was a joint effort of several writers (as well as Ophelia it featured Jeremy Stangroom and Julian Baggini.)
It was very different compared to the current Ophelia-only version. There was plenty of good (and even humorous!) articles published and it had a strong stance against identity politics and post-modernism.
Ophelia's reputation came from that time period and, in particular, from the books she co-authored with Baggini and later Stangroom.
It is hard not to draw the conclusion that she doesn't function well as an independent author and that she is in sore need of an editor who can point out where she is going wrong.
I've been following Strangroom on Twitter for a while now. He seems so very sane. I can't imagine he and Ophelia working together for any length of time on any project at all. What was that book like, did you read it?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:
Tapir wrote:
But...i can't...WHY ARE YOU RAPING ME!!!

I take you 'seriously' for any particular function of 'serious.' It doesn't mean you're always right. But then, I don't think I'm always right either. Which is, I think, good for any married man to realize. Unless, of course, he doesn't want to stay married...

peterb

Post by peterb »

Whig wrote:Anybody know the process for filing a law suit after a cease and desist letter has been ignored?
The jurisdiction in which the complaint would be filed almost certainly allows electronic filing. It would be easy to have the complaint prepared in advance and to file it within minutes of e deadline. Then the next step would be to have the complaint served although if Myers has counsel it would be more common to send the complaint to Myers and/or counsel by email this afternoon. If shermer were my client this is the course I would have advised. Don't send the C&D letter unless you are willing to follow through and if you are willing to follow through, demonstrate that in the strongest way possible by filing immediately.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Myers must be feeling a little like this right now:

http://www.prosper.org.au/wp-content/up ... coyote.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tribble wrote:Ah, this day is getting better and better:
SF writer Theodore Beale, who blogs as Vox Day, announced that he has been expelled from the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. He posted a letter from SFWA President Steven Gould that reads, in part:
Beale, a lifetime SFWA member who ran unsuccessfully for SFWA president earlier this year, concludes, “I shall attempt to find the wherewithal to soldier on, somehow.”

In June, Beale used a promotional SFWA Twitter feed, @SFWAauthors, to link to remarks he made on his blog, where he called another author “half-savage” and an editor a “fat frog,” among other inflammatory remarks.

Many SFWA members, including Jim C. Hines and Amal El-Mohtar, immediately began to call for his expulsion for misuse of a SFWA service. (Though the tweets by Beale were removed, the blog post is available here).

Colour me unsurprised at any of the above. :lol:

welch

Post by welch »

John Greg wrote:Welch said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 79#p118379):
In terms of music, that's actually a fairly recent thing. Even into the mid-1960s, Albums were collections of singles, nothing more.
Well, as a one-time professional, I am going to have to say Yes and No to that. Some Big Band era bands (most notably, Artie Shaw -- I think) and producers did aim to order tracks, and certainly many artists in the early 60s (Dylan, the Stones, Zeppelin, Beatles, and several others) also spent quite a bit of time planning/testing track order.
Minor quibble: Zeppelin didn't really exist until 1968. They were really more of a 70s band than a 60s band.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

curriejean wrote:35 minutes!
http://bit.ly/14M269F
<3

And I mean that in the most objectifying manner possible. It really has nothing to do with your mind. Would you like some wine?

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Is anyone else getting the creeping suspicion that this whole PZ/Shermer thing will end in an extremely anticlimactic fashion?

I'll fucking die from blue balls...

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Badger3k wrote: snip

"When I was your age I could say goodbye five times." (or something like that, it's been years)

Another favorite:
"Nuts!"
"Them too."

Sorry, I can't believe anyone else watched it. I make no apologies for liking it. A fun movie and I like the songs.
I checked out the movie on IMDB. First comment "Are you people high?'

hahaha

I think I'll have a gander at it.

Speaking of pirate movies, I was pleasantly surprised by:

The Pirates: Band of Misfits
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430626/

Starts off like a silly, and somewhat bland, kid's movie, but ends up being pretty fucking funny, imo.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tribble wrote:Ah, this day is getting better and better:

After careful consideration of the evidence gathered by the Board-appointed investigator and your response, and in compliance with the existing Massachusetts By-Laws, the approved operations and procedures, and legal counsel, the SFWA Board has unanimously voted for your expulsion from the organization, effective immediately. This has been a difficult decision, but thorough examination of the evidence and the situation makes it clear that this action is necessary to best serve the interests of the organization and its members.

If he writes Sci-Fi like he writes his blog, I've got to go looking for his work. It has to be something else. I wonder how much of his ego he invests in his fiction - I'd guess he's an author who puts himself into his work as the protagonist.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Saw this, thought of PZ
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7732726272/h2D9F536F/

And the rest of the baboolies. Less than half an hour now. If I was going to cease and desist I would have done it by now, just in case of technical issues...