Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
decius

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by decius »

deLurch wrote:
decius wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: Oolon is Doctor Manhattan! Sacrificing himself so we all get along!
As long as we don't have to eat his body and drink his blood, I'm fine with it.
Damn vegans ruin all of my fun.
I'm not a vegan, but I only eat free-range turds.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:In all seriousness though, the fact that Turd has my fake account in his list just goes to prove the lie that he spins about how people get on that list. The only, and I mean only way that account could have been flagged is because Welch follows it.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

OMFG, that's beautiful. I'd forgotten about that one.

Well, I can't really blame him from that. I was forced to block myself, after being followed by Welch.
That's the only reason I follow anyone. To make them block themselves out of shame and self-loathing.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Hemisphere wrote:
welch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Just checked, and yup I'm on the blockbot. Does anybody know how to check what level I'm on? And what was the reporter's email, I'd like to add my voice to the mix.
http://www.theblockbot.com/?page_id=35 has the entire thing broken down by level.
Wow. My twitter account, that I've made 11 tweets on and have barely touched in the 2 years I've had it, is on level 3. Presumably because I accidentally hit 'retweet' on something Blackford wrote about denouncing Myers. Clearly doesn't take much to be labelled as 'annoying' and blocked by a fair few people.
I'm the first name on the Level 2 Blocklist, woooooot!

Prior to the Blockbot, I was mass blocked and had my account temporarily suspended for making one single Tweet mocking aratina's #BlockSaturday campaigns. A few months later I made one Tweet "@"ing PZ Myers disputing some bullshit on Pharyngula. I was instantly placed in group 2 when the Bot was up and running for essentially those 2 Tweets and being a registered member here. Some people like melody hensley and that Paul Fidalgo guy who writes at FTB blocked me individually simply for interactions with the user @ElevatorGATE, which is amusing because I was never gonna talk to them anyways, but whatever, at least they wasted their own time and did no harm to me when they individually sought out my user profile for blocking. Because you know, I'm soooooo scary!

As for the guilt by association bullshit, I've never abused anyone from the online atheist/skeptic rifts on Twitter (the only vitriolic comments I've posted on Twitter were aimed at a racist pastor making insane comments about all blacks shooting people). In fact, as most here who follow me know, most of my Tweets are just commentary on current events news stories I read, engaging in silly convos of random nature and my opinions on movies, TV shows, videogames and anime I consume. Hell, even when I've commented on FTB/A+ type bullshit I've intentionally not used the "@" to avoid being targeted by professional victims as a harasser or abuser. People like Ophelia Benson, who made a point of quoting me when I encouraged people to retweet a Hitchens pic she objected to the use of online, had to specifically go out of her way to find my Tweet via vanity searches because I didn't want to arm any FTBloggers with anything that they could spin a tale of harassment and bullying from.

Funny thing is, that one time I posted with an "@" at PZ was the only time I ever Tweeted directly to appear on the timelines of those who hate me just for who I engage in discussions with, yet after blocking me I;ve had numerous twits from A+/FTB/Skepchick fandom Tweet directlyat me, with ool0n himself Tweeting a link to his blog at me, like I ever wanted to actually read it. It's quite absurd.

Ultimately, I'm not as outraged by the first BBC report because my Twitter account, and the email it's tied to, are all under false name(Svan reels in horror!), but for people like Sarah Mayhew, EllenBeth Wachs, Renee Hendricks and Phil Giordiana, whose real names were tied to claims of abuse, I can understand the full extent of their anger. Hopefully this fallout continues to blow up in the faces of the idiots that support this sort or crap.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

deLurch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Spence wrote: Jesus fuck. The plot thickens. Oolon put a well liked celebrity doctor on the block list, without his knowledge, for the crime of being boring, and then went on telly to claim the list was for blocking abusers and harassers.
Looks like Oolon is in for some sleepless nights. Maybe his lass should ban him from the internet.
"Boring" has been used as an excuse quite often. Boring is code for either "I don't want to be sued for slandering you" or "My real reason is too weak or damaging to myself to want to have to justify it, but you are still on the fucking list."
You must have missed the tweet capped there where he calls doctorchristian an "antifeminist dipshit" that i suggest is obviously why oolon or his buddy blacklisted him. So level 3 isn't for "bores" it's inclusive of "antifeminist dipshits". Doctor Christian, hugely respected, and all round nice guy.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

zenbabe wrote:Hey Steersman, I notice you seem to tightening up your writing lately. Much appreciated :D
:-) I would have been remiss if I hadn’t heeded some of the criticisms from my dear readers, particularly given my championing of the concept of feedback. But it is partly a question of time – better, and less time-consuming, to write less that’s more coherent than more that isn’t.
zenbabe wrote:In Oolon's case, there is plenty of evidence available to point to his lack of integrity, and his agenda. It's Ok, you know, to at some point simply come to conclusions about people, even if the conclusion isn't hard and fast.
I don’t know about “plenty of evidence”, but I certainly think that his apparent unwillingness to concede my point about Skep tickle’s doxxing, and my argument that he has thereby seriously contributed to the nasty proganda and “mythologizing” about the Pit certainly qualifies. I haven’t yet decided whether “Worm-Tongue” might be an appropriate handle, although one I don’t think he alone is entitled to claim.
zenbabe wrote:Might have to Potato/Potahto the argument on the point of maliciousness, for the jokes we've seen so far. I don't see any of them as mean, particularly considering the subject.
You might be right, particularly given the rather subjective nature of the valuations involved. Part of the reason why I pulled my punch a little.
zenbabe wrote:*giggle*.. richly deserved, sir.
I have to laugh at the thought of you, so staid, so serious, trying so hard to give benefit of the doubt, muttering those words under your breath. You're human afterall.
:-) Actually I called her that on her blog awhile back – may have spiked the “Atheist-Skeptic Dialog” in the process, or contributed to it, but I think it was in a good cause.

And while “human” covers a lot of ground, it’s nice – thank you – to receive some evidence to refute the egregious and entirely baseless charge that I’m no more than a robot with an unhealthy interest in sweet young things below the age of consent. ;-)
zenbabe wrote:Well, they do hate them those dictionaries, and they do love them some invented language that can mean anything they want it to mean and broadly apply in any way they want it to apply.
Indeed. That is, I think, one of the surprising and enduring if problematic aspects of the SJWs, and the “gender-feminists”, and their assorted fellow-travelers. Certainly qualifies as evidence, I think, of the “anti-science and anti-intellectualism” that the book “Professing Feminism” apparently describes in some detail.
zenbabe wrote:Oh Steersman, the eternal optimist ;)
:-) Not sure there’s much alternative. Humanity certainly seems to have done much to-ing and fro-ing, of taking two steps forward and one back. But the net result seems to have been much significant forward progress. Not quite sure what the ultimate goal might be, but I think there is one. Which kind of makes the scene worth the candle. At least for the moment.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Also, maybe Thunderf00t could weigh in on how he publicly forced PCS/VenomFangX to tear himself a new one...
You still on holiday mate?
Yep, but glancing in from time to time to see that you fuckers are behaving.

In fucking Swindon right now in a hotel that bills itself a 4*, but NO FUCKING A/C. Cunts.

Off to the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton, then to Salisbury with Mrs Lsuoma.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:The truly astonishing thing about Oolon's latest and (thus far) greatest attempt at self-immolation is that, a few days prior to this The Pit was tearing itself apart and Lsuoma had even gone so far as to temporarily shut down the joint.
Zvan et al are slobbering all over the man who single-handedly revived and (to the extent that such athing is possible) unified the community of their worst enemies.
Yo, Stephalump! You appear to have lost the plot again.
When the Pit was busy gnawing off its own leg a few days back, I wondered if maybe we were just bored because the baboons hadn't done anything entertaining lately. Today kind of confirms my suspicions.

Kumbaya my Pit, kumbaya, oh Slymepit, kumbaya.

welch

Post by welch »

bhoytony wrote:
dogen wrote:
deLurch wrote: He actually has a family... as in someone married him?
Well... 'married' as in his parents probably kidnapped some poor lass and heaved her down the cellar stairs...
How oolio sees himself:

[youtube]8I8mWG6HlmU[/youtube]

How everyone else sees him:
bhoytony wrote:[youtube]XhXTMthBIlg[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Also, maybe Thunderf00t could weigh in on how he publicly forced PCS/VenomFangX to tear himself a new one...
In fucking Swindon right now in a hotel that bills itself a 4*, but NO FUCKING A/C. Cunts.
Off to the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton, then to Salisbury with Mrs Lsuoma.
Yeah, get the fuck out of here and enjoy your real life for a while. You are on vacation. This will still be here when you get back.

welch

Post by welch »

Michael J wrote:
welch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Just checked, and yup I'm on the blockbot. Does anybody know how to check what level I'm on? And what was the reporter's email, I'd like to add my voice to the mix.
http://www.theblockbot.com/?page_id=35 has the entire thing broken down by level.
I think that Oolon would have a problem defending most of those on level 1. Thunderfoot? He may have sexist tendancies but he isn't what I call a serial harrasser or misogynist.
The real tf00t's on level 2. the L1 versions are parodies. And there's at least one account that appears to have no tweets at all.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote: Yep, but glancing in from time to time to see that you fuckers are behaving.

You really know how to treat the ladies good. I bet you can't fight them off with a shitty stick.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Is anyone following Clarke's recent shitty post or are you all still frothing about Oolon?

He basically made a post condemning people who "threaten to kill themselves as a rhetorical weapon". I know, such a major problem and had to backpedal to not sound victim-blamy and all that stuff. Pretty damn funny (or infuriating):
Natasha wrote:As a person who lives with clinical depression and has several times been very suicidal all I can say is fuck you Clarke. Your weasel words at the end don’t redeem the post.
Even me the filthy slymer knows that Clarke's argument is highly stupid and insensitive but maybe that's why he made it.

And then comes this comment:
great1american1satan wrote:You’re wrong, Chris. You’re going to get comments trying to gently educate you about why, and some comments scourging you without a chance for reprieve, but don’t be a Krahulik and let the gentle education represent the opposing viewpoint in your feelings.
Gently!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Now he's directing Twitter folk to the A+ forum! Ye gods this is too good. The more people that see that place the better.
This whole story is fanfuckingtastic. It's like the entire Pit has met up at a Michelin restaurant, with only pennies between them, but then the manager has come over and said "I'm closing down tonight, all my best chefs are in the kitchen, have at it." And so lobster follows filet mignon, follows truffles, follows caviar...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: Now he's directing Twitter folk to the A+ forum! Ye gods this is too good. The more people that see that place the better.
This whole story is fanfuckingtastic. It's like the entire Pit has met up at a Michelin restaurant, with only pennies between them, but then the manager has come over and said "I'm closing down tonight, all my best chefs are in the kitchen, have at it." And so lobster follows filet mignon, follows truffles, follows caviar...
Couldn't agree more. Thank you Oolon. Thank you so much. You died for our happiness.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3708/9419 ... 2912_o.png

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

A/C in England? LOL. You're lucky if you get hot water and a Corby trouser press.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Try to contain your excitement: Sarkeesian's new video is here.

[youtube]LjImnqH_KwM[/youtube]

She needs a new shirt.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

didymos wrote:Try to contain your excitement: Sarkeesian's new video is here.

She needs a new shirt.
Judging by the work that's gone into them she probably filmed them all in the same day.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Pfff! Making out cities names now, are we? "Yeovilton", yeah, who's gonna believe that?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

She needs a new shirt.
She only had enough eyebrows for the one.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Pharyngula's toxic commentariat (in this case Matt Penfold) has become too toxic even for Chris Clarke:
Chris Clarke wrote:
Matt,

What he meant means shit, since he didn’t actually write what he meant.
This was the comment that did it. For that, Beatrice, I thank you. There’s lots of talk here about needing to remove yourself from toxic situations, and it’s been a long time dawning on me that writing here qualifies for me.

Let’s be careful about what we say that might adversely affect severely depressed people, unless that severely depressed person happens to have written a post. Because he’s not a real person. He’s some fucking television show you can all fucking yell at.

I’m out.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Facebook tread with Zvan was removed. Shame, I was having an actual talk with her.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:Pharyngula's toxic commentariat (in this case Matt Penfold) has become too toxic even for Chris Clarke:
Chris Clarke wrote:
Matt,

What he meant means shit, since he didn’t actually write what he meant.
This was the comment that did it. For that, Beatrice, I thank you. There’s lots of talk here about needing to remove yourself from toxic situations, and it’s been a long time dawning on me that writing here qualifies for me.

Let’s be careful about what we say that might adversely affect severely depressed people, unless that severely depressed person happens to have written a post. Because he’s not a real person. He’s some fucking television show you can all fucking yell at.

I’m out.

At Pharyngula, we eat our own young. And our own old.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Facebook tread with Zvan was removed. Shame, I was having an actual talk with harassing and abusing her.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Jan Steen wrote:Pharyngula's toxic commentariat (in this case Matt Penfold) has become too toxic even for Chris Clarke:
I misread that, the toxic commenter who made Chris Clarke flounce was Beatrice, an amateur cynic looking for a happy thought.

Looks like PZ has a vacancy. Maybe he can find a new clone. I can't say I have too much sympathy for CC. He has been happy ridiculing dissenting commenters himself, contributing to the toxic atmosphere. Still, I hope he will be alright.

Satan

Post by Satan »

Chris Clarke wrote: Let’s be careful about what we say that might adversely affect severely depressed people, unless that severely depressed person happens to have written a post. Because he’s not a real person. He’s some fucking television show you can all fucking yell at.
That's the SJW mentality in a nutshell, really. They're all deeply interested in protecting abstract groups from abstract harms, but when it comes to doing anything specific to help actual individuals, they're either indifferent or more willing to hurt than help.

Fighting homelessness with blog posts is worthy cause as long as you never have to see one of those filthy homeless losers living on the streets.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

She needs a new shirt.
Judging by the work that's gone into them she probably filmed them all in the same day.
I liked the first one quite a bit, but here in Part 3 she has run out of gas. I get it - Damsels, they are in Distress in video games. She thinks they shouldn't be. I got it.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:READ THIS YOU FUCKERS READ THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23533566

IT'S KICKING OFF NOW OOLON YOU CUNT!!
Ok, still an "abuser". Well, that's gonna get funny.
From the Block-Bot page:
→ Level 2 blocking: these are the abusive subset of anti-feminists, MRAs, or all-round assholes who think nothing of tweeting their much loved photoshopped pictures, memes and other wonderful media directly into your timeline to get attention (Listen to Meee!!1!).
You an “abusive anti-feminist”? An “abusive MRA”? An “abusive asshole [given to] tweeting … photoshopped pictures”? I don’t see any other alternatives there.

Seems to me that those on level 2 have the best argument for libel.
I am apparently on level 2, my twitter account is only ever used to tweet IT related things ... I do follow EG and a number of slymepitters though ... so apparently I am on it for one of the following:

1) Following "bad people"
2) Blocking PZ/Svan/etc

That's it. Can't be for women hating or even disagreeing with a woman or A+/FtBer, as I don't use it for conversations about anything other than work.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Satan wrote:
Chris Clarke wrote: Let’s be careful about what we say that might adversely affect severely depressed people, unless that severely depressed person happens to have written a post. Because he’s not a real person. He’s some fucking television show you can all fucking yell at.
That's the SJW mentality in a nutshell, really. They're all deeply interested in protecting abstract groups from abstract harms, but when it comes to doing anything specific to help actual individuals, they're either indifferent or more willing to hurt than help.

Fighting homelessness with blog posts is worthy cause as long as you never have to see one of those filthy homeless losers living on the streets.
Hoist with his own petard.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:READ THIS YOU FUCKERS READ THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23533566

IT'S KICKING OFF NOW OOLON YOU CUNT!!
Ok, still an "abuser". Well, that's gonna get funny.
I've sent my complaint to the BBC, highlighting exactly that.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Steersman wrote::-) I kind of like Aneris’ signature: “... take nothing seriously while regarding everything as Serious Business”.
/cheers steers

In other news, Chris Clarke had to close down the comments on a thread on suicide he just wrote. Turning every word around and looking for some nefarious hidden meaning, as cultivated for a long time, got to to him now, even though the comments are fairly civilized in comparison.
Chris Clarke wrote:This was the comment that did it. For that, Beatrice, I thank you. There’s lots of talk here about needing to remove yourself from toxic situations, and it’s been a long time dawning on me that writing here qualifies for me.

I’m out.
I sympathize.
  • “Spirits that I've cited // My commands ignore”
    —Goethe, “The Sorcerer's Apprentice”
Meanwhile the people there apparently understand little of communication. What could help is some idea of the Organon Model of communication, as proposed by Karl Bühler in the 1930ties (his most known student is none other than Karl Popper). It may be due to the timing that it's little known in the english speaking world. I only found a related one, the Four-Sides Model.

When people communicate, they do not just convey a singular message. The standard example may be saying “it’s cold”. It has a factual side (I think it's cold outside), self-revealing side (“I feel cold”, and depending on tone, e.g. “I'm annoyed by this”), the relationship to the people addressed comes out (e.g. you probbaly don't exclaim “It’s cold!” to your boss), and finally, and in this case the interesting part, the appeal. The appeal for “it’s cold” might be just “please close the window”, or when having a walk at night and she says it to the guy, she certainly doesn't want to say it's factually cold right now, but more like “dude, make your move!”. In other words, the context matters.

It happens quite often in these social justice warrior debates that they don't see the factual side (branded as hyper-skepticism), instead they assume an appeal extrapolated from their relationship with the person (e.g. “they are slymepitters etc, therefore, they want this and that when they cite a fact”). In Chris Clarke's topic, it just means that the intention can only be taken from the specific context, but is not inherent in the phrase itself. People can also very well announce a thought or idea as a “matter of fact” (which they probably mean by “suicidal ideation”). It is generally a good idea to not overinterprete appeals, or worse imagining whole agendas. You have to know how people “tick” to see whether there is really an appeal, and if it counts as manipulation. I don't know if Clarke gets it that a big part of the issue called “professional victimhood” has to do with assuming manipulation, precisely because it is used to further specific goals, like shutting down dissent.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

New sarkeesian vid:

I closed the tab once she claimed the Spice Girls were about empowering girls.

No, just no......Jesus WTF is this shit? The Spice Girls maybe said some "rah rah girl power" shit in a few lyrics, but they were the epitome of canned and processed pop factory music designed to sell with absolutely lowest common denominator musical prowess and with a highly sexualized image crafted by mostly male music industry execs who put the band together, hired studio hands to write the music and booked every aspect of the group's public persona.

The Spice Girls were no different to female audiences than One Direction or N-Sync is to male audiences, meaning their empowerment ability is nonexistent. The mainstream pop radio music machine never empowered anyone, all of their subjects, both male and female, were just processed meat for mass consumption. The fact that such a storied and experienced media critic like Sarkeesian, queen of watching Let's Play vids for her content, makes absurd points like this doesn't say much about her expertise or thought processes.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Satan wrote:

Very good points, indeed. The loathing and hatred in their comment sections and their claim to be for humanism and the good in the world always was at odds. There is no humanity there, just hate and hazing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Guest wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:o/t -- For those of you who just didn't get enough of the George Zimmerman controversy, an analysis of crime stats by race: http://trueliberalnexus.wordpress.com/2 ... -and-lies/
Is race-bating a pun or a typo?
Typo. Good eye.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Aneris wrote:@AndrewV69
The summary of the Tibet thesis was interesting, thanks. And your last one was quite cute. What's wrong with rearranging furniture? :)
Nothing is wrong with it as long as you have a clear ideas on what you want to accomplish, planned it in advance and not view the proceedings as as an artistic venture of discovery to be repeated a j.random.intervals with someone who does not give enthusiastic consent to be included in the proceedings.
rayshul wrote: I've always thought rearranging furniture was a specifically male preoccupation/obsession.
I have no idea if this is normative for males in general or not. In my case however, any sort of latent tendencies towards that direction are easily satisfied in arranging tools and computer equipment in a space set aside for that purpose.

Anyway, I had a quick look and found the usual guys moaning about it. But I also found an example where both sexes (I think) said they do it.

I think I am going to be on the lookout for studies on the subject in the future. I know where I stand on the subject. I am however, starting to get curious as to what proportion of degenerate perverts of both sexes indulge in this unnatural and criminal activity.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hahahaha,
Jacob needs to apologize right fucking now. his little “Trigger Warning” was anything but. Only two lines between the warning and are serious fucking trigger? Absolute motherfucking bullshit.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-658660

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Chris Clarke's comment, while understandable in his frustration, is just as attention seeking as the posts he claims to abhor.

It just showcases how removed from reality these people really are.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Aneris wrote:
Steersman wrote::-) I kind of like Aneris’ signature: “... take nothing seriously while regarding everything as Serious Business”.
/cheers steers

In other news, Chris Clarke had to close down the comments on a thread on suicide he just wrote. Turning every word around and looking for some nefarious hidden meaning, as cultivated for a long time, got to to him now, even though the comments are fairly civilized in comparison.
Chris Clarke wrote:This was the comment that did it. For that, Beatrice, I thank you. There’s lots of talk here about needing to remove yourself from toxic situations, and it’s been a long time dawning on me that writing here qualifies for me.

I’m out.
I sympathize.
  • “Spirits that I've cited // My commands ignore”
    —Goethe, “The Sorcerer's Apprentice”
Meanwhile the people there apparently understand little of communication. What could help is some idea of the Organon Model of communication, as proposed by Karl Bühler in the 1930ties (his most known student is none other than Karl Popper). It may be due to the timing that it's little known in the english speaking world. I only found a related one, the Four-Sides Model.

When people communicate, they do not just convey a singular message. The standard example may be saying “it’s cold”. It has a factual side (I think it's cold outside), self-revealing side (“I feel cold”, and depending on tone, e.g. “I'm annoyed by this”), the relationship to the people addressed comes out (e.g. you probbaly don't exclaim “It’s cold!” to your boss), and finally, and in this case the interesting part, the appeal. The appeal for “it’s cold” might be just “please close the window”, or when having a walk at night and she says it to the guy, she certainly doesn't want to say it's factually cold right now, but more like “dude, make your move!”. In other words, the context matters.

It happens quite often in these social justice warrior debates that they don't see the factual side (branded as hyper-skepticism), instead they assume an appeal extrapolated from their relationship with the person (e.g. “they are slymepitters etc, therefore, they want this and that when they cite a fact”). In Chris Clarke's topic, it just means that the intention can only be taken from the specific context, but is not inherent in the phrase itself. People can also very well announce a thought or idea as a “matter of fact” (which they probably mean by “suicidal ideation”). It is generally a good idea to not overinterprete appeals, or worse imagining whole agendas. You have to know how people “tick” to see whether there is really an appeal, and if it counts as manipulation. I don't know if Clarke gets it that a big part of the issue called “professional victimhood” has to do with assuming manipulation, precisely because it is used to further specific goals, like shutting down dissent.
That's the thing that pisses me off about people who accuse othes of "tone trolling". Tone matters. If I softly tell a patient to "hold still" it's a different experience than if I bark it at him. Why is it different online?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

katamari Damassi wrote:That's the thing that pisses me off about people who accuse othes of "tone trolling". Tone matters. If I softly tell a patient to "hold still" it's a different experience than if I bark it at him. Why is it different online?
Patriarchy. Magic.

katamari Damassi

Pitchguest wrote:Chris Clarke's comment, while understandable in his frustration, is just as attention seeking as the posts he claims to abhor.

Clarke is just emotionally unstable. I doubt he learned anything from this and I doubt he'll stick the flounce.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Wow Chris Clarke is upset.
At least he didn't threaten to commit suicide.

katamari Damassi

AndrewV69 wrote:
The summary of the Tibet thesis was interesting, thanks. And your last one was quite cute. What's wrong with rearranging furniture? :)
Nothing is wrong with it as long as you have a clear ideas on what you want to accomplish, planned it in advance and not view the proceedings as as an artistic venture of discovery to be repeated a j.random.intervals with someone who does not give enthusiastic consent to be included in the proceedings.
rayshul wrote: I've always thought rearranging furniture was a specifically male preoccupation/obsession.
I have no idea if this is normative for males in general or not. In my case however, any sort of latent tendencies towards that direction are easily satisfied in arranging tools and computer equipment in a space set aside for that purpose.

Anyway, I had a quick look and found the usual guys moaning about it. But I also found an example where both sexes (I think) said they do it.

I think I am going to be on the lookout for studies on the subject in the future. I know where I stand on the subject. I am however, starting to get curious as to what proportion of degenerate perverts of both sexes indulge in this unnatural and criminal activity.
Male or female I think whoever is stuck at home more just gets bored of looking at he same rooms everyday.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Pitchguest wrote:Chris Clarke's comment, while understandable in his frustration, is just as attention seeking as the posts he claims to abhor.

Yeah, what a bizarre episode this was.

Blogger1: I'm leaving the internet because it makes me want to kill myself.
Blogger2: LOL, Blogger1 is always saying that. Suicidal people are such attention whores.
Commenter: Hey, Blogger2, depression is much more nuanced than you make out here, why not just tone it down a bit.
Blogger2: OMFG how fucking dare you, I am depressed and all you internet people are making me want to kill myself and fuck you and I'm leaving the internet.

http://i.imgur.com/eMQcNt5.jpg

ON A SIDE NOTE, does anyone know how Imgur makes money?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9 ... r_guy_ama/

AMA from 3 yrs ago, in which this question is addressed. I didn't find anything more recent w/ different info.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

This deserves a reprise. Absolutely evil. I can wave at cars again! Oh fuck.

http://i.imgur.com/Ii9vSMH.png

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

AndrewV69 wrote:

snip ... this unnatural and criminal activity.
I would frequently come home from school to find that my mother had not only rearranged the furniture in my bedroom, but that the bedrooms had been swapped around.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Jan Steen wrote:
I misread that, the toxic commenter who made Chris Clarke flounce was Beatrice, an amateur cynic looking for a happy thought.

Looks like PZ has a vacancy. Maybe he can find a new clone. I can't say I have too much sympathy for CC. He has been happy ridiculing dissenting commenters himself, contributing to the toxic atmosphere. Still, I hope he will be alright.
It amuses me when one of the FtB 'commenter-in-group' suddenly becomes part of the 'out' group and the scales fall from their eyes as they suffer the same crap they dished out for months, or years, at a time.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Am I the only one amused by the seemingly limitless hatred of this Hugo Schwyzer dude? The guy has a checkered past, apparently, but there seems to be more hate for him than there is for us.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Also, Chris Clarke's not actually leaving, guys. It's just the Pharyngulan version of going Galt or moving to Canada. He'll calm down and go back to adding nothing of interest.

KenD

Post by KenD »

Is there any indication she actually played the games this time? Rather than just grabbing gameplay clips from other people's videos and reading a synopsis from Wikipedia and TV Tropes, like in the previous ones?

I don't find any of these recent videos as amusingly clueless as her attempt to spin the advertising on file sharing sites into a systematic conspiracy to drive women out of tech culture, but in small doses she still manages to be unintentionally entertaining.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Cunning Punt wrote:This deserves a reprise. Absolutely evil. I can wave at cars again! Oh fuck.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/Ii9vSMH.png[/img]
:D You're too kind, Cunning Punt. Glad to see people enjoying this one. My original idea was to make the theme "Oolon's OKCupid Dating Site Profile", but his dead and soulless un-anchored eyeball pulled me in an entirely different direction, as if by divine intervention. Praise be to The Eyeball.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

She needs a new shirt.
I think that sometimes. After all, there's not a lot of work when you plagiarize much of it.... Sure, you have to find all those game wiki's, articles on wikipedia and play-throughs to copy. But, hey, that's a week's worth of work (at most) for her kind of shallow analysis.

And, with only $158,000 from her kickstarter, she probably didn't have enough money to keep herself in plaid shirts, hoop ear-rings and actually play all the games or hire an assistant to make sure she didn't get things completely wrong. Like her analysis of Dinosaur Planet which was cancelled for other reasons, not misogyny.

The short history is Star Fox Adventures was released in in 2002 and it included some techonology and character sketches from Dinosaur Planet. Also, in 2002, two years after the acquisition process started, Rare was bought by Microsoft for $375 million to become an XBox exclusive developer.

Rare, being bought by Microsoft (during the development phase of a major game) to become a direct console competitor was a tough spot for Nintendo. Obviously decisions were made, including scrapping parts of the not-complete Dinosaur Planet game and taking some of the Dinosaur Planet's technology and characters and incorporating them into Nintendo's Star Fox series. And it was a good thing, Rare had done some great work in developing animation for the Nintendo 64 and Star Fox was a thing of beauty.

But misogyny? No. That story doesn't make sense. And she'd have known that if she'd have bothered to do any research. Hell, if she any idea about the gaming industry, she'd have known games get cancelled/reworked for reasons far more trivial than your developer being bought by a major competitor...

But then why would she tell people the correct story? She doesn't care for what 'actually' happened. She needed something for her bullshit video series. So she made something up.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Skep tickle wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9 ... r_guy_ama/

AMA from 3 yrs ago, in which this question is addressed. I didn't find anything more recent w/ different info.
Thanks. Sounds almost like Imgur was a vanity project of a rich person:
I'm not really concerned with cost right now. With as much traffic as imgur get's I'm confident that there's a way to monetize it even if I haven't found out exactly what that is. Imgur was never supposed to make me money, and it pained me to start putting ads on it.
Guess it's time to hit Wiki et al to find out more.

KenD

Post by KenD »

Percentage wrote:Am I the only one amused by the seemingly limitless hatred of this Hugo Schwyzer dude? The guy has a checkered past, apparently, but there seems to be more hate for him than there is for us.
I saw this coming a good couple of months before he actually flounced. His holier-than-thou male feminist mask really started to slip when he was caught sexting masturbation videos to a student last January, not to mention him trying to get a pity fuck from her by whining that his latest wife wasn't giving him enough loving. This from someone who'd repeatedly called other men creeps for lusting after younger women...

In the past he's successfully blamed his various "lapses" on drink and mental health problems, played the victim, dodged responsibility, and been accepted back into the feminist fold. In fact, his past even gave him credibility as a "reformed misogynist", uniquely equipped to preach to unreconstructed men and convert them to the feminist cause. I think his latest extra-marital affair, and the way he's handled it ("off brand" wasn't the best way to put it), has been the final straw for most of them.

I'm not someone who often sides with feminists, but I can understand Hugo's former supporters feeling manipulated and betrayed by him, and I'm not surprised that so many are in a rage about it.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

KenD wrote:

Is there any indication she actually played the games this time? Rather than just grabbing gameplay clips from other people's videos and reading a synopsis from Wikipedia and TV Tropes, like in the previous ones?

I don't find any of these recent videos as amusingly clueless as her attempt to spin the advertising on file sharing sites into a systematic conspiracy to drive women out of tech culture, but in small doses she still manages to be unintentionally entertaining.

From her video KenD linked in the text:

Uploaded on Jul 20, 2010

Every time I go to download files from a BitTorrent tracker site I am constantly bombarded with ads for sex/dating sites or straight up pornography and I'm sick of it. Women are engaging in online technologies as well and we are repetitively told that we don't belong.
I don't. You know why? Because much of that crap is targeted advertising. Maybe she should stop watching so much damn porn and stop going to dating sites. Then she won't have advertisements for Carpet Munchers IV showing up on her computer screen when her parents come over. Reminds me of this:
Man gets ransomware porn pop-up, goes to cops, gets arrested on child porn charges
http://tinyurl.com/o3xxxve

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Cunning Punt wrote:This deserves a reprise. Absolutely evil. I can wave at cars again! Oh fuck.

http://i.imgur.com/Ii9vSMH.png
Sorry if someone has done this gag, but I've been away for awhile. Looking at that picture, why am I thinking...

HEY YOU GUYS!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The BLOCK BOT 2.0

Helping you to block the unpleasant AWAY.

Level 1 - The EDL, BNP, al-Qaeda, Neo-Nazis, Fascists, George Galloway, Paedophiles
Level 2 - PZ Myers, Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, Stephanie Svan, Ool0n, Greg Laden, + many more Baboon nasties!

The BLOCK BOT 2.0 - remove ALL of the listed ABUSERS from your Twitter and your LIFE.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Tribble wrote:

From her video KenD linked in the text:

Uploaded on Jul 20, 2010

Every time I go to download files from a BitTorrent tracker site I am constantly bombarded with ads for sex/dating sites or straight up pornography and I'm sick of it. Women are engaging in online technologies as well and we are repetitively told that we don't belong.
I don't. You know why? Because much of that crap is targeted advertising. Maybe she should stop watching so much damn porn and stop going to dating sites. Then she won't have advertisements for Carpet Munchers IV showing up on her computer screen when her parents come over. Reminds me of this:

Given that she's complained that porn ads appear when trying to download software on torrents, you have to wonder how dense she has to be to complain that legitimate mainstream businesses won't put their ads on places linked to massive pirating of copyrighted software. Really hard to figure out why that happens, eh? Could it possibly be that the only businesses willing to place their ads in such places are shady scammy foreign dating ads and websites desperate to make people think they need to pay money for online porn? I wonder...
:doh:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

The I wanna be dead thread is closed on pharyngula but someone defends poor Christ Clarke on the Sarkeesian thread just to show support and place the blame for his persecution squarely where it belongs: Damn MRAs!!
It could be me, but many of the commentors seemed to be ones I am generally unfamiliar with…. Especially given that I hang out here pretty regularly. My suspicion is that his post drew comments from MRA faux-concern trolls, simply because the post nominally touched on feminist issues. Chris seemed genuinely hurt and apologetic over the accusations. Not his bad…At all..Send him my love. He was clearly punked by the trolls. fuck those ‘people’. I don’t buy none of them crocodile tears. If I have any criticism of Clarke’s posts, it’s that he’s TOO nice and considerate!

welch

Post by welch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
"Hey guys, remember that hobo we were nice to? IT WAS RICHARD BRANSON, HE JUST GAVE US A MILLION DOLLARS BECAUSE WE WERE RIGHTEOUS DUDES TO HIM!"

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

She needs a new shirt.
Hey, it's hard work scouring youtube for other people's videos that you can use while talking out of your ass.