Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Kareem

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Kareem »

sacha wrote:Dawkins, Gervais, and Pat Condell all tweet a link to Dillhunty's blog post on how to be an atheist without being a dick...
... I've been gone too long.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Someone should write an article about how to be an SJW without being a cunt.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

katamari Damassi wrote:[H]ow many American cities have American Indian genocide memorials, or slavery memorials?
There's a memorial to the brave confederate soldiers who fought for the South in the Civil War right on the main drag downtown in beautiful Augusta, Ga. where I live (at the EconoLodge on 15th Street if anyone wants to stop by).

Every southern town has a Confederate memorial and slavery memorials are not uncommon in the larger southern towns since the Civil Rights Era. Augusta has one, not to mention a memorial to Augusta native James Brown, the Godfather of Soul.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2s00cqb.jpg

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

debaser71 wrote:Someone should write an article about how to be an SJW without being a cunt.
Well by definition if you're an SJW you're an asshole, but there are ways to actually do social justice without that.

#1. Focus on problems and potential solutions, not identity.

#2. Don't demand that other people live up to standards that you're unwilling to do so yourself or you're unwilling to enforce on your tribe.

#3. Recognize that complete elimination of any given problem is basically impossible...progress is the goal here.

#4. Recognize that for any given problem, you yourself might be part of said problem.

#5. Recognize that power dynamics go in multiple directions, even simultaneously.

#6. Stop the privilege seeking and the focus on the apex.

And yeah. That's what I can think of for now.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

hmmm supposedly the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in NYC has whole sections dedicated to various genocides. But the only information I can find on this comes from right wing ranters about how anti-white and anti-christian it is.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1422800/posts

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

debaser71 wrote:hmmm supposedly the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in NYC has whole sections dedicated to various genocides. But the only information I can find on this comes from right wing ranters about how anti-white and anti-christian it is.

Here in WA State we have Gospodor's Monument Park.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

katamari Damassi wrote:Yet how many American cities have American Indian genocide memorials, or slavery memorials?
There are all sorts of Native American heritage memorials, exhibits and museums in Oklahoma

Heck, this is the first thing you see when you enter the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum:

http://www.8thingstodo.com/wp-content/u ... museum.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Potential incoming Eucliwoo warning. Just getting a feeling in my water...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

mikelf wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Yet how many American cities have American Indian genocide memorials, or slavery memorials?
There are all sorts of Native American heritage memorials, exhibits and museums in Oklahoma

Heck, this is the first thing you see when you enter the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum:

Oh, I think Abbie and Jerry went there during their adventures. I'm almost sure I saw a picture of that statue on Jerry's bl...website.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

debaser71 wrote:hmmm supposedly the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in NYC has whole sections dedicated to various genocides.
Hmmm... I used to deal face to face with 9/11 truthers. I wonder how many of these SJWs are truthers or conspiratards? Isn't saying 19 Arab hijackers did 9/11 racist?

GangstaDan

Post by GangstaDan »

katamari Damassi wrote:
GangstaDan wrote:So, did anyone see the articles about FFRF protesting a holocaust memorial with a star of david on it? That's pretty fucking retarded, given that if anything the star of david is an ethnic symbol, and moreover, jews were forced to wear it during their extermination to distinguish them on ethnic grounds. The jewish star in the context of the holocaust has nothing to do with the jewish religion and everything to do with the jewish people who were murdered by the Nazis
Interesting point. That aside though, I have a dislike of these monuments any way. Excuse me while I go all SJW for a minute, but it seems like so many large American cities have one of these(Boston's is terrific BTW). It's a monument about a European event that effected not that many Americans. Baltimore even has a Katyn Forrest massacre memorial, probably because the polish-americans said "You've got a holocaust memorial why can't we have one of our own?" Yet how many American cities have American Indian genocide memorials, or slavery memorials?
What happened to the American Indians was a tragedy, but you will not find many people beyond the now-discredited Ward Churchill (the idiot who called the victims on september 11th little eichmanns) who would classify the indian depopulation to be genocidal. Huge percentages (90% or more) of the indian population were dead before they ever made direct contact with europeans.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

sacha wrote:If I was living in a dirt hut without enough food, or clean water, I would not give a toss as to why someone was helping to build me a house.
That is until you discover their aid manual, "To Serve Sacha" is in fact... A COOKBOOK!!! :o

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

GangstaDan wrote: What happened to the American Indians was a tragedy, but you will not find many people beyond the now-discredited Ward Churchill (the idiot who called the victims on september 11th little eichmanns) who would classify the indian depopulation to be genocidal. Huge percentages (90% or more) of the indian population were dead before they ever made direct contact with europeans.
Churchill is not a complete idiot and he got a raw deal from the regents in Colorado (assuming you believe in academic freedom). He has some cogent things to say from a far left perspective. He's made me rethink some of my political views which is more than I can say about some of the more notable reich-wing bloviators.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Only a complete idiot would not recognize Ward Churchill as a charlatan, a pretendian, and an academic fraud.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Only a complete idiot would not recognize Ward Churchill as a charlatan, a pretendian, and an academic fraud.
Generic ad hom. Just what I expected from "the Pit." Go fuck yourself while I fuck your mother.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

So, did anyone see the articles about FFRF protesting a holocaust memorial with a star of david on it? That's pretty fucking retarded, given that if anything the star of david is an ethnic symbol, and moreover, jews were forced to wear it during their extermination to distinguish them on ethnic grounds. The jewish star in the context of the holocaust has nothing to do with the jewish religion and everything to do with the jewish people who were murdered by the Nazis

http://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item ... io-capitol

Is it the First Amendment you find "pretty fucking retarded", the concern over setting a legal precedent allowing the display of religious symbols on state property, or that this annoys those who seek to undermine Separation of Church & State?

Or are you saying it's "pretty fucking retarded" to not believe that the Star of David magically loses all religious connotation when used on a holocaust memorial? Is it retarded to even mention that 5 million non-jews also died?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Didn't Churchill help the UK win WWII or something?

/defusing

(ps: never heard of that guy you're talking about)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma wrote:Potential incoming Eucliwoo warning. Just getting a feeling in my water...
A good antibiotic should be able to clear that up for you.

Aneris

FTBCon Critical Thinking Panel

Post by Aneris »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I like Slymepitter. In contrast to FTB "thinking", it describes us pretty well, IMO...
The FTBCon's critical thinking panel was very good. Of course, I didn't have any FTBullies in there. If Brayton just applied it to his own site, he would be horrified. At one point, around minute 29, he talks about labelling an opposition in order to dismiss their arguments outright. And tribalism also comes up, too. I don't know if it is some sort of doublethink, or if he's aware of the implications regards the current state of the affairs.

Contexts aside, it provides a very good overview of the topic.

[youtube]Ea46b1Wj-rg[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Karmakin wrote:... there are ways to actually do social justice without that.

#1. Focus on problems and potential solutions, not identity.
But, but ... solving the problem would leave them with nothing to crusade against!

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Walter Ego wrote:
Guest wrote: yes but that's meaningless when compared to the first real visible male firebrand atheist activists like Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Madalyn Murray O'Hair was male? That's news to me!
http://i.imgur.com/UvdlYZW.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Walter Ego wrote:Generic ad hom. Just what I expected from "the Pit." Go fuck yourself while I fuck your mother.
Wouldn't this be an ad mom-inem attack?

What say we agree to ignore each other from now on, m'kay?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Speaking of tv, apparently this is a good show:

Orphan Black

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/
A streetwise hustler witnesses the suicide of a girl who looks just like her and falls headlong into a deadly mystery.

Haven't seen it yet, but I'll put it on my list. Looks interesting

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Didn't Churchill help the UK win WWII or something?

/defusing

(ps: never heard of that guy you're talking about)
wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Churchill

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

sacha wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
sacha wrote:
I watched about 3 episodes of Breaking Bad and binned it.
Burn the heretic!!!!!
bloody hell, I said I'd try it again, and Dexter as well, cheers Aneris.
Burn me too. My SO still likes to watch it, but I stopped after season one or so. I can see that it's obviously very good, but just not my taste. It was a bit too gut wrenching for me. There were also one or two episodes that were just too slow. Plus I found it a tad too bleak, even if it is often used for black humour.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Only a complete idiot would not recognize Ward Churchill as a charlatan, a pretendian, and an academic fraud.
I was just kidding about fucking your mother. The truth is your mom isn't worth fucking. Sorry to be the one to let you know.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Generic ad hom. Just what I expected from "the Pit." Go fuck yourself while I fuck your mother.
Wouldn't this be an ad mom-inem attack?

What say we agree to ignore each other from now on, m'kay?

He's 'trolling' the pit. Said so the other day.

He thinks it makes him some sort of badass, or something.

:roll:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Walter, from what I've gathered, seems to be a really nice guy. He probably hates some of the Pitters, but who doesn't? Anyway, his trolling is way better than oolon's. Make of that what you will.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

mikelf wrote:

Surfs Up, dudes

http://dvp14a235i3p5.cloudfront.net/wp- ... urfsUp.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Walter, from what I've gathered, seems to be a really nice guy. He probably hates some of the Pitters, but who doesn't? Anyway, his trolling is way better than oolon's. Make of that what you will.
I was nice to him at first. Gave him the benefit of the doubt. But, he doesn't have time for the little people. Too self-important, or something. So, no, I have no sympathy for self-important assholes who think their shit doesn't stink.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

another lurker wrote:Speaking of tv, apparently this is a good show:

Orphan Black

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/
A streetwise hustler witnesses the suicide of a girl who looks just like her and falls headlong into a deadly mystery.

Haven't seen it yet, but I'll put it on my list. Looks interesting
Yes. A great sci-fi-ish mystery show that actually gives answers. The main actress is amazing.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Lsuoma wrote:
debaser71 wrote:hmmm supposedly the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in NYC has whole sections dedicated to various genocides. But the only information I can find on this comes from right wing ranters about how anti-white and anti-christian it is.

Here in WA State we have Gospodor's Monument Park.

A new exposé of Mother Teresa shows that she—and the Vatican—were even worse than we thought

sacha

Post by sacha »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
sacha wrote:If I was living in a dirt hut without enough food, or clean water, I would not give a toss as to why someone was helping to build me a house.
That is until you discover their aid manual, "To Serve Sacha" is in fact... A COOKBOOK!!! :o
I'm beyond the "best before" date

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

sacha wrote:
Yeah, right. These days we call them MILFs...

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sacha wrote:
Personally, I pay more attention to the "best after" date:

http://s.plurielles.fr/mmdia/i/00/7/nat ... 41.jpg?v=1

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey, Australia - you is our BITCHEZ!!!

Bill the Cat

A pytter visits the SJWs

Post by Bill the Cat »

http://assets.amuniversal.com/17e01fc0a ... 1dd8b71c47
And guess who is the only one who actually did something?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

GangstaDan wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
GangstaDan wrote:So, did anyone see the articles about FFRF protesting a holocaust memorial with a star of david on it? That's pretty fucking retarded, given that if anything the star of david is an ethnic symbol, and moreover, jews were forced to wear it during their extermination to distinguish them on ethnic grounds. The jewish star in the context of the holocaust has nothing to do with the jewish religion and everything to do with the jewish people who were murdered by the Nazis
Interesting point. That aside though, I have a dislike of these monuments any way. Excuse me while I go all SJW for a minute, but it seems like so many large American cities have one of these(Boston's is terrific BTW). It's a monument about a European event that effected not that many Americans. Baltimore even has a Katyn Forrest massacre memorial, probably because the polish-americans said "You've got a holocaust memorial why can't we have one of our own?" Yet how many American cities have American Indian genocide memorials, or slavery memorials?
What happened to the American Indians was a tragedy, but you will not find many people beyond the now-discredited Ward Churchill (the idiot who called the victims on september 11th little eichmanns) who would classify the indian depopulation to be genocidal. Huge percentages (90% or more) of the indian population were dead before they ever made direct contact with europeans.
Maybe I'm being a bit loose with my definition of genocide in that many tribes were wiped out by the unintentional transmission of deadly disease, but there were tribes that were actually wiped out, either by disease, war or a combination of the two, and you can't argue that as a whole; Native americans were targeted for genocide or forced assimilation.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

katamari Damassi wrote: Maybe I'm being a bit loose with my definition of genocide in that many tribes were wiped out by the unintentional transmission of deadly disease, but there were tribes that were actually wiped out, either by disease, war or a combination of the two, and you can't argue that as a whole; Native americans were targeted for genocide or forced assimilation.
The above mentioned Ward Churchill, whatever his other failings, has made some insightful remarks and comments on the subject of genocide re its definition and how genocide is carried out in the real world. He's made me think seriously about the subject.

Bill the Cat

Re: Eucliwoo warning

Post by Bill the Cat »

Lsuoma wrote:Potential incoming Eucliwoo warning. Just getting a feeling in my water...
Give it a good shake before zipping.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

another lurker wrote: He's 'trolling' the pit. Said so the other day.

He thinks it makes him some sort of badass, or something.
Nah, just amusing myself on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Aneris

Musical Break.

Post by Aneris »

30 Second Musical Interlude.

[youtube]IF-U6KZB7tg[/youtube]

Continue.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Wait: the rights of men = anti-feminist? I've completely lost the plot.
Me too Phil. I have encountered this in real life. I mention MRA and the assumption is anti-feminist. I explain and some do not buy it.
DownThunder wrote:Ive been curious about the phrase "anti-feminist" and its first appearances. Perhaps Andrew, who is most likely old, can help out.

Its a very all-or-nothing, us-vs-them idea. At most the posters put up by MRAs are targeting a specific claim that is made by feminists.

At least terms like "anti-vaxxer" makes sense in that vaccinations are a single topic and set of claims, but "anti-feminist" is starting to sound a lot like encouraging yoga classes is "anti-christian"....in short I get the impression that anti-feminists are a concept more likely to be an invention of feminists themselves.
It is an interesting frame though. Especially if it would be the first time they even heard of Men's Rights before this.

I had a tenured prof from a local university drop over for drinks a couple of weeks ago, that had never heard of Mens Rights before I mentioned the subject.

Mind though he is in a STEM field and knows zip about the Humanities. I was surprised though, because that uni has a good humanities rep, but it turns out he does not pay much if any attention to that lot (including feminists) at all.

Anyway, he had a mutual acquaintance with him who has a MA in Geology, and we spent more time talking about the local ecology, geography, and environment in regards to the mining and lumbering industries than Men's Rights.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sacha wrote:
No no, you're confusing MILFs with cougars.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

sacha wrote:
I'm sure you're still delicious.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

bovarchist wrote: No no, you're confusing MILFs with cougars.
I thought it was all in the way you looked at it. I thought it was possible to be both, depending on who is doing the pursuing and who is being pursued. Both are predicated upon an age difference. And (possibly) whether or not one has kids, but I don't think the "M" in MILF is really used that specifically.

windy

Post by windy »

TV tip: American Horror Story: Asylum. Unapologetic camp-sploitation, and so many mythologies crammed into one season that it makes shows like True Blood seem tastefully restrained.

Now watcing The Bridge/Bron/Broen, for those who haven't overdosed on Scandinavian crime drama yet...

Orphan Black looks very interesting.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Lsuoma wrote:Hey, Australia - you is our BITCHEZ!!!
I'm amused by it. Schadenfreude. The sooner Clarke fucks off the better.
Previous captains were at least respected, if not loved by all, but even his mum thinks he's a total cunt.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Lsuoma wrote:Hey, Australia - you is our BITCHEZ!!!
Yeah, I know. When do we get our flag and razoo?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

windy wrote:TV tip: American Horror Story: Asylum. Unapologetic camp-sploitation, and so many mythologies crammed into one season that it makes shows like True Blood seem tastefully restrained.

Now watcing The Bridge/Bron/Broen, for those who haven't overdosed on Scandinavian crime drama yet...

Orphan Black looks very interesting.
The Bridge was great. Saga was certainly a very original main character for a mainstream drama.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I just did a check to see when the promised second series of The Bridge was due and of course discovered that the inevitable American remake is planned. Why do they keep doing that? Can't anyone over there read subtitles? I suppose I shouldn't get too snotty about it as it seems a joint French/UK version is also on the way. I thought we were a bit more relaxed about foreign drama, the original was already shown here.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Badger3k wrote:
I thought it was all in the way you looked at it. I thought it was possible to be both, depending on who is doing the pursuing and who is being pursued. Both are predicated upon an age difference. And (possibly) whether or not one has kids, but I don't think the "M" in MILF is really used that specifically.
does dog mum count?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Badger3k wrote:
does dog mum count?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

If you like comedies you might want to check out Reno 911 and Drawn Together:

Reno 911

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370194/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Drawn Together

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386180/?ref_=sr_1

Two of my favourite comedy shows of all time. Drawn Together is just twisted - they take beloved cartoon characters and superheroes and turn them into absolutely despicable beings. The show is also HIGHLY politically incorrect - the SJW's would have a coronary watching it.

Reno 911 pokes fun at cops and rednecks, and is mostly ad-libbed.

sacha

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
does dog mum count?
apparently Cougars go after young men, so I guess I'm not a Cougar: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... lder-women

katamari Damassi

Walter Ego wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Maybe I'm being a bit loose with my definition of genocide in that many tribes were wiped out by the unintentional transmission of deadly disease, but there were tribes that were actually wiped out, either by disease, war or a combination of the two, and you can't argue that as a whole; Native americans were targeted for genocide or forced assimilation.
The above mentioned Ward Churchill, whatever his other failings, has made some insightful remarks and comments on the subject of genocide re its definition and how genocide is carried out in the real world. He's made me think seriously about the subject.

Shit I did it again! "a and you can't argue that as a whole; Native americans were targeted for genocide or forced assimilation" is supposed to read: "and you can't argue that as a whole; Native americans weren't targeted for genocide or forced assimilation".
Hard to believe that not only is English my first language but that I actually taught it once. In my defense I often find myself posting in a hurry or on my phone.

katamari Damassi

Just saw the film Now You See Me. Avoid it unless you enjoy seething for nearly 2 hours. It's about stage magicians heisting banks. I don't know if they consulted any actual magicians for the movie as all the tricks performed are implausible and done with movie effects-obvious CGI and green screen-but they sure as hell didn't consult James Randi. The movie depicts stage hypnotism as magic mind control. The scale of the "illusions" and resources required to pull them off break any suspension of disbelief you were willing to lend to the film. I really dislike movies that depict the FBI as ridiculous keystone cops. The twist to the ending is obvious if you employ the old: "Who is the least likely guy to be in on this?" The only thing that could've potentially saved this movie is if Mark Ruffalo did a nude scene. Sadly he did not, which is unusual for him.

katamari Damassi

another lurker wrote:If you like comedies you might want to check out Reno 911 and Drawn Together:

Reno 911

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370194/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Drawn Together

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386180/?ref_=sr_1

Two of my favourite comedy shows of all time. Drawn Together is just twisted - they take beloved cartoon characters and superheroes and turn them into absolutely despicable beings. The show is also HIGHLY politically incorrect - the SJW's would have a coronary watching it.

Reno 911 pokes fun at cops and rednecks, and is mostly ad-libbed.
Great choices! I can't believe I forgot about them.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Walter Ego wrote:
Guest wrote: yes but that's meaningless when compared to the first real visible male firebrand atheist activists like Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Madalyn Murray O'Hair was male? That's news to me!
Point.

Whoosh.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Of note: I've always played Chaotic Evil.
You look Chaotic Sexy in that coat.
Also like the new avatar pic. You look like you just left a series of clues in that museum to whatever nefarious scheme you're hatching.
Moriarty.