Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
rayshul

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by rayshul »

OMFG I love Richard Carrier he's fucking HILARIOUS. He's the gift that keeps shitting into its own mouth.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

From Carriers latest (there's so much there I have to triage this one first)
But in any case, the revised conclusion makes even more clear that I am talking about marginalizing a group of people within the atheist movement (I am thus not talking about chucking non-atheists into the sewers–plenty of non-atheists are fully on board with the actual values of Atheism+) and that I am not talking about defining whether you are “in” or “out” by adopting any label (what you call yourself doesn’t matter), but by whether you thumbs-up or thumbs-down the values of Atheism+ (which even a conscientious Christian or Muslim could do).
So A+ is open to conscientious Christians and Muslims?

It's just atheists they plan to hate?

In fact I think he is making a good point. If I were a Christian or Muslim I would be over the moon at this whole Social Justice Warrior assault on New Atheism.

Michael K Gray

Scamistan

Post by Michael K Gray »

FYI.
I just purchased the following domains:
aplustheism.com
a-plus-theism.com
a-plus-theism.net
a-plus-theism.org

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Michael K Gray wrote: (This blog software actually auto-censors the word S E M P R I N I !!)
Perhaps the code monkey responsible was a hardcore Python fan (I say hardcore, because I wasn't aware of their S******i gag until just now, and I'm a fan.)
Alternatively, it may be because 'S******i' is an anagram of 'penis rim' and we all know that (functioning) penises, and those who possess them, are bad. Check your organs of privilege at the door.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:OMFG I love Richard Carrier he's fucking HILARIOUS. He's the gift that keeps shitting into its own mouth.
My comment from the previous thread is still in limbo.
The lying cunt says it is because he is busy.
4 days+ now, and others have passed muster.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

real horrorshow wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: (This blog software actually auto-censors the word S E M P R I N I !!)
Perhaps the code monkey responsible was a hardcore Python fan (I say hardcore, because I wasn't aware of their S******i gag until just now, and I'm a fan.)
Alternatively, it may be because 'S******i' is an anagram of 'penis rim' and we all know that (functioning) penises, and those who possess them, are bad. Check your organs of privilege at the door.
Perhaps the code is written in the pooter language Python?

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Dick Strawkins wrote:From Carriers latest (there's so much there I have to triage this one first)
But in any case, the revised conclusion makes even more clear that I am talking about marginalizing a group of people within the atheist movement (I am thus not talking about chucking non-atheists into the sewers–plenty of non-atheists are fully on board with the actual values of Atheism+) and that I am not talking about defining whether you are “in” or “out” by adopting any label (what you call yourself doesn’t matter), but by whether you thumbs-up or thumbs-down the values of Atheism+ (which even a conscientious Christian or Muslim could do).

It's just atheists they plan to hate?

In fact I think he is making a good point. If I were a Christian or Muslim I would be over the moon at this whole Social Justice Warrior assault on New Atheism.

That's a bit of a 180 from his diatribe earlier this week. From the outside it looks like his handler has him by the balls.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Mr Danksworth wrote:That's a bit of a 180 from his diatribe earlier this week. From the outside it looks like his handler has him by the balls.
Greta Christinher, or Pope PZed?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:
rayshul wrote:OMFG I love Richard Carrier he's fucking HILARIOUS. He's the gift that keeps shitting into its own mouth.
My comment from the previous thread is still in limbo.
The lying cunt says it is because he is busy.
4 days+ now, and others have passed muster.
Maybe you were commenting from an ethnic neighbourhood

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I really do think he's adorable though, I'd like to keep him as a pet

I've barely stopped laughing since I read that bit, I keep going off to do things and then I think "Carrier" and I start laughing all over again.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:That's a bit of a 180 from his diatribe earlier this week. From the outside it looks like his handler has him by the balls.
Greta Christinher, or Pope PZed?
I have no idea. Both mental images give me nightmares. I still have a glimmer of hope that he turns out to be a deep cover operative...the whole situation is too Poe.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Now I know I'm just an old Dictionary Atheist, but what we have here - gospel according to Carrier - is a form of atheism which excludes huge numbers of atheists, but includes a large number of theists. Is that right?
So, we have a development in Baboon Newspeak. PeeZus has told us that simply not believing in gods doesn't make you an atheist. Now, we go further. Now, believing in gods is no obstacle to being an Atheist+. I am tempted to quote Inigo Montoya at this point. Instead, I will point to one of the 'values of Atheism+' which Carrier lays down:
We care about applying skeptical, evidence-based reasoning to everything, not just god stuff, or UFOs, or [insert special interest here]: I will assume I don’t need to explain why a commitment to reasonableness and integrity (as well as compassion) entails we should all be on board with “critical thinking and skepticism,” so I won’t insult your intelligence by making any further defense of that.
Isn't this going to create a bit of a problem for Carrier's - yet to be recruited - Christian and Muslim Atheist+ers? If other Atheist+ers get all 'skeptical' about their gods, it might cause a bit of a rift, might it not?
Maybe not because, in the next paragraph, he explains:
This does not mean, however, that you personally should give up focusing most of your attention on the god stuff or UFO stuff or homeopathy or whatever drives your interest and your passion and lines up best with your skillset and resources.
So, okay, you can be an Atheist+ if you believe in gods or ufos, provided you are 'on board with “critical thinking and skepticism”', though you needn't apply “critical thinking and skepticism” to your own pet irrationalities, if you don't want to.
Hold on a sec though. Carrier goes on to say:
Do you agree it is a good idea for the atheist community in general to focus skeptical, evidence-based reasoning on everything we can, and not just on narrow domains of inquiry and assertion to the total exclusion of all else–or do you think we should not ever, in any venue, apply skeptical, evidence-based reasoning to other matters? If you are in the latter camp, you might not be an asshole, but you are certainly committed to being irrational. And we’ll tell you so.
You can be an Atheist+ even if you're a ufo-worshipper or god-watcher, providing you agree with their values, including “critical thinking and skepticism”, but you don't have to apply those values to your own beliefs, though, if you don't they'll do it for you. (And you might be an "asshole")
Riiiiight.

Alternatively.
a·the·ist
   [ey-thee-ist]
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Yeah, I'll stick with that one I think.

Michael K Gray

Carrier Stool Pigeon

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dickie-boy is doing our work for us for free!
Only much more efficiently than I could.
The obedient prole is tying himself in logical (k)nots, attempting to defend his hilarious indefensible bullshit-lying-spin.
If he doesn't watch out, all those 180s will twist off his nutsack that PZ has in a firm reach-around grip.
(Unless that is the currently accepted male-martyr's method become an A+theist?)

Michael K Gray

Steersman's Travels

Post by Michael K Gray »

Steersman is doing a reasonably adequate job of highlighting the A+ Theists hypocrisy:
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... rt=50#p386
He already has goaded them into breaking quite a few of their restrictive juvenile tree-fort rules.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Carrier is obviously a good student of religious history.
He knows the first rule of writing a religious dogma that lasts the test of time is to make sure it contains completely contradictory elements. That way everyone can find something they agree with and use to tell the opposing side that they are wrong.

He sort of gives the game away with his repeated sentences after each paragraph of the commandments.

Blah-de-blah about some general type of normal decent person behavior such as being onboard for increasing diversity in the atheist movement (knock on doors in "ethnic neighborhoods"), tackling injustice in society or combating bigotry or discrimination
Followed by Herr Carrier asking whether you are in favor of these things and proscribing the punishment to be applied.
If not, then you are an asshole. And you are definitely thumbing-down Atheism+. We are done with you. You are not one of us. You can go start your own clubs and have your own conferences.
Does he not realize that we can see through all this bullshit.

Who the hell is in favor of discrimination, bigotry and prepetuating poverty? There may be some rich and/or antisocial types that fall into this category but I dont think they are the sort that go to atheist/skeptic conferences in the first place.

We know from experience that being an asshole, a bigot, a racist or a misogynist in their eyes doesn't require dismissal of the general humanistic ideals placed in the storefront window of A+theism, like so many copies of Dianetics.
All it takes is raising a question, asking for evidence or, heaven forbid, disagreeing with the heirarchy of FTB (and isn't it hilarious that they now have an official "heirarchy" - PZ, Mr Ed, Ophelia and Greta Rien)
We are done with you. You are not one of us. You can go start your own clubs and have your own conferences.
I think there is a skepchick conference or it's part of some other larger comic conference or something, but apart from that is there a major conference organized by the FTBers?

If there was it would sound like my idea of hell so I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it, but I don't think there is one.
I think Carrier is referring to the larger Atheist/skeptic conferences that occasionally, and increasingly, get FTB/Skepchick speakers and he is articulating a wish to exclude anyone who has a public disagreement with the views of the FTB heirarchy.
It's simply a badly organized attempt at a coup detat against the atheist movement. He's been deafened by the echo chamber that is FTB comment section into assuming that their narrow self serving interest is supported by the wider community.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Justin: great podcast! See PM on FB...

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

I really should go away more and then come back - cos each time I do the proportion of Crazy just gets better and better!

Fantastic podcast Justin, really nice to hear something so down to Earth and reasonable

Cheers all, hopefully the avatar is approved of, I did my best to capture a good likeness!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Philip of Tealand wrote:I really should go away more and then come back - cos each time I do the proportion of Crazy just gets better and better!

Fantastic podcast Justin, really nice to hear something so down to Earth and reasonable

Cheers all, hopefully the avatar is approved of, I did my best to capture a good likeness!
So you have both a teacup and a lightsaber? Approved!

Sorting out Alicja's salary right now. She earns 8 times more than I do. Privileged fuck! :dance:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Scratch that, 6 times more. Not so privileged after all...

Philip of Tealand

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:So you have both a teacup and a lightsaber? Approved!
Teasaber, I can't be the kind of misogynist I am without it.

I usually bring it out when women are around and I need to ask their names on buses.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Teasaber
Thank fuck it is not a CoffeeSabre!
That would be a true crime against Elevators, A+Theism, and Dick Carriers.

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

KarlVonMox wrote: Its funny isnt it. Many of them claim they would never, ever read this forum - yet someone almost certainly is.
Well, Myers has nothing to do all day, every day.
Greta, Bentson, Watto and the rest don't have trophy wives, so they have to shift for themselves, and that sort of thing can take its toll, you know, so I'd absolve them of lurking.
Watto just discovered she had to make her own coffee, as there was no man around putting out.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/ ... ints_2.jpg

Michael K Gray

Myers' Tome-troll?

Post by Michael K Gray »

dustbubble wrote:Well, Myers has nothing to do all day, every day.
Apart from finishing his book that he fraudulently took a paid sabbatical to supposedly complete, of course.

(What's with that anyway? An Ass Prof of Biology taking paid leave to write short fantasy paperback? Where do I apply to get a slug-lazy barnacle-blood-sucking idle-leeching deadbeat scrounging job like that?)

Which he has abandoned through the probable realisation that it would be remaindered the day it was released.
"Lose Friends & Effluence People the Myers' Way" just doesn't stack up to "The End of Faith", "The God Delusion", "God is Not Great" or even "Darwin's Dangerous Idea".

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

I usually bring it out when women are around and I need to ask their names on buses.
I still can't believe that was "harrassment". Lots of people talk to me in the street. Like, every day.

I recently read a bit of twittershit with someone taking notes on how often people were harrassed because of their gender. One woman said she was harrassed every time she went outside, even if she had her kids around. I can't quite get my head around that because she lived in the same area I used to live.

I'm wondering if this is just a complete misunderstanding of how human interaction works. Like maybe my friendly "hello, nice day," is someone else's harrassment.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Then again, what do I know, maybe her next door neighbour yells "SHOW US EM TITTIES" at her every time she passes his house.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Can we hear other rejected titles for Myer's opus?

I'm thinking:

"Shouting on the internet"
"The Fifth Horseman SERIOUSLY GUYS please let me in"
"The dummy's guide to porcupine insertion"
"Preaching to the echo chamber"
"Pink bunny & me, or how I learned to love radical feminism"
"I am Myers, hear me capitulate"
"Atheism+: Faith for the faithless"

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

rayshul wrote:Then again, what do I know, maybe her next door neighbour yells "SHOW US EM TITTIES" at her every time she passes his house.
Nah, that's Old Greg Laden you're thinking of.
His neighb0rs are My-Name-Is-Earl-type garbage like me, and say what they see.

Philip of Tealand

rayshul wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

I still can't believe that was "harrassment". Lots of people talk to me in the street. Like, every day.

I recently read a bit of twittershit with someone taking notes on how often people were harrassed because of their gender. One woman said she was harrassed every time she went outside, even if she had her kids around. I can't quite get my head around that because she lived in the same area I used to live.

I'm wondering if this is just a complete misunderstanding of how human interaction works. Like maybe my friendly "hello, nice day," is someone else's harrassment.
If that is the case then lock me up - I joke and talk with complete strangers all the time - they don't seem to run screaming, some of the crazier even laugh and smile - I must be doing harassment badly or something

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

You may be on to something Mr Danksworth. This whole episode is begining to look like a very large Situationist Prank with everyone struggling to be Guy Debord. And he had to wind up the whole Situationist International after having thrown everyone else out of the movement. Hilarious.

I wonder if Dear Jen is trying for the Malcolm McLaren part?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

real horrorshow wrote:
Board admin defines word censorship.
Board admin in a 1st gen Monty Pithon Python fan,

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:I still can't believe that was "harrassment". Lots of people talk to me in the street. Like, every day.
Derren Brown: I'm getting an A, or an A+...
(Or an R something. Have you got a relative or a pet, or a treasured possession that has an "R" in it's name? Or sounds like an R when you have a cold? Yes! The spirits told me that before you said it. My trusted spirit-guide is Jonathan Walker, black labella)

I am intuiting that folks deign to speak to you on the street as though you are a human being, is probably solely because you are "a woman of beige colour".
That gives you an automatic get out of criticism free pass with the FC65.
My spidey sense tells me, that like all of the Maidens from Mauritius whom I have met, you are delightfully petite in stature.
Not "short", oh noes!

Harassment? Tell that to the kids of today, an' they won't believe you.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

franc wrote:For Andrew the MRA/islam baiter -

http://greylining.com/2011/09/22/the-co ... -islamism/
A good piece Franc.

You might have got a bit more specific about divisions in Islam for example between Sunni and Shia. These are deep and while people like Yasser al-Habib talk a good show about tolerance and reasonableness, nonetheless each year he presides and promotes a celebration that is bound to inflame the most tolerant and liberal Sunni and provoke them to anger.

You also alluded to the Salafis vs Christians but people do not seem to know that they are not a monolith and are generally subdivided roughly like this:

1) Neo-Salafi/Madkhali/Jami/Murji'ia Salafis: their shaikhs are Rabee MAdkhali, Shaikh Al-Jami, Shaikh Ali Halabi Al-Athari
2) Salafiyya Mashyakhiyya: Ibn Baz, Ibn Uthaymeen, Albani, Muqbil Wad'iee
3) Salafiyya Ilmiya: Abdul RAhman Abdul Khaliq, the Ansarul Sunnah movement
4) Ikhwani Salafis: Abdul Majeed Zandani, Omar Al-Ashqar
5) Suroori/ Sahwa Salafis: Safar Hawali, Salman Oadah
6) Salafi Jihadi: Osama bin Laden & Al-Qaeda

It is the radical Salafis generally that pose the biggest problems because they are radical "traditionalists" that have invented and adhere to traditions that never existed, have no respect for any of the other branches of Islam and are fueled by hate.

Generally you are correct though, that it is the radical areas of Islam that the Liberal West seeks out and promotes. I have a idea that this is deliberate and they see a way to either/and/or profit from it or promote it as part of their agenda.

Something like immigration, replace the prole population that will not adopt the agenda of the progressives with one that they think it will, and another group goes along with it because they see cheap labour, and in the case of Feminism they can double their workforce for roughly the same cost.

I would say more but I g2g. Have to catch a ferry.

P.S. I do not usually bait anyone. If anything more often than not I avoid saying what I think, because what little I do say, quite often inflames.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

bah having trouble uploading this image for my avatar
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/zazen.jpg/

Philip of Tealand

Za-zen wrote:bah having trouble uploading this image for my avatar
I put mine in Paint, re-sized it, saved it as a Jpeg and it seemed to work - give that a whirl and then poke fun at me for getting it all horribly wrong! :D

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Za-zen wrote:bah having trouble uploading this image for my avatar
My god! It's full of ads!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

bwhaaa ha ha bhwaaaa haha you fool lsuoma you fell into my ad trap, i am of the darkside and all lightsiders will kneel before my mighty lightsaber

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

To all you peons out there. My name is no longer za-zen.

I am darthzen created from the darkmatter of darkatheism denzien of the darkestreaches of the darkestplaces of the darkestpyt. No light will shine except the redshift of my darksaber as it gets rammed nonconsentually in carriers darkhole

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
franc wrote:For Andrew the MRA/islam baiter -

http://greylining.com/2011/09/22/the-co ... -islamism/
A good piece Franc.

You might have got a bit more specific about divisions in Islam for example between Sunni and Shia.
Oh fuck you. Writing for the masses. Sunni => wahhabi => salafi => infinite fragments

Thanks for liking it. But there are at least two islam scholars in this room.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Lsuoma wrote:
For that you get a special rank!!!
I'm glad I spotted this because I was about to complain that

Profaner of the First Rank
[photo of S*mprini]

was looking suspiciously like an "OM" or similar baboonage.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
It is open to anyone and a few from this side have joined up. I posted that they need to be more open and no idea gets a free ride, and the two sister sites are echo chambers, and that there is already a division in atheism because of all the flame wars, and guess what? Nothing, absolutely nothing. So a thumbs up so far, though of course it is early days yet and things may change once it has settled down but even so. We need as many from this side as we can get to balance it out so anyone wants to dip their toes in the deep end, away you go. It will be better you actually debating them, rather than debating about them methinks. So form an orderly queue now and away you go. See you in there if you do make it over.

The Pelagic Argosy

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Justin: great podcast! See PM on FB...
Agreed. I can't often sit through these things but that was most listenable.
/echochamber

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I'll echo the echo that the podcast gets a darthstar award

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I have a complaint about sacha.

She is in open rebellion to the agreement that all pyters shoud have southpark avatars. She's a troublemaker who is obviously here to troll, she even quoted me in her personal attack. The majority decided that the pyt movement would be represented by southpark avatars and she needs to be told that she needs to get it or get out.

The Pelagic Argosy

Za-zen wrote:[...] she even quoted me in her personal attack.
Your fainting couch, madam. Plus a very large violin with which to soothe your vapours:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__iZOUt8oOlI/T ... Bgreen.jpg

The Pelagic Argosy

I call it Fainting Couch+

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ZV8ZZ.jpg

:popcorn:
And we shall PREVAIL!!!

Sorry, working on my rendition of HBO's Rome theme. I may have gotten carried away a little...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ZV8ZZ.jpg

I already tried that, remember?

The result was Greta Christina throwing an epic temper-tantum and pulling out of FreeOK2, and PZ Myers squealing about how I was threatening him/all FfTBers with death (technically, 'debate', but Myers isnt concerned with trivialities like truth) and wouldnt never ever no NEVERS be at a conference with me for such a confrontation to take place.

I *WANT* to debate these fuck heads, and they ran away crying.

Tell Stangroom we dun been der dun dat.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Nice one, PZ. Trying to make it sound like we, who use the word cunt, also sexually assault people ("slapping derrieres"). People PZ Liars, who on purpose, word things like that to make it seem that us "cunt" saying Pitters sexually assault people too, is the type of person who I'd bet money, makes real life false claims too. Makes me wonder if he ever got pissed off at any adult males as a kid and faked an abuse. He seems that type, judging by his conflation of "cunt" sayers (meaning Pitters, obviously) with actual sexual assaulters.

Myers and Watson both. I wonder if they've left a trail of real life false accusations, due to it being their par-for-the-course method when online. I'm not accusing, just wondering. They seem like the type who wouldn't just stop at online false accusations.

Well, I'm off to watch Rocky Horror! My copy from Amazon came yesterday. Also got Labrynth and Tommy, both faves from years ago. Oh Brad, Oh Janet!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Richard Dawkins on way to Witch of the Week status again for...retweeting.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... yet-again/

Lucy tweeted "I'm a woman & an atheist blogger, & never experienced sexist abuse from fellow atheists. Maybe because I don't assume they're misogynists."
From Veronica at Purple NoiZe:

Good for you Lucy. Good for you. There are numerous women who have, but I’m glad you’re not one of them.

The problem, however, with this tweet is of course the second sentence. Lucy seems to be saying that either is the abuse imagined, i.e. that the recipients interpret the abuse as sexist while it is actually just for laughs or something. It is a little tricky to treat death and rape threats as funny jokes, but I suppose if you’re naive enough you could manage it. The other option is that the abuse women receive online is caused by women assuming these people are misogynists, therefore the sexism is really the victim’s fault for being so uppity. The classic victim blaming that we so often see of rape victims.

So yeah, Lucy. You’re full of shit.

… and Richard Dawkins retweeted it.

Looks like Dawkins hasn’t learned anything in the last year. And this is why you shouldn’t have idols, folks.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

Justin - hilarious podcast. I just linked to your blog post about it, on the JREF thread concerning A+, which is itself pretty good. See #251 at:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=242361&page=7

(Parenthetically, I linked to my blog as well. Secret agenda? Moi?)

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

RebeccaB wrote:Justin - hilarious podcast. I just linked to your blog post about it, on the JREF thread concerning A+, which is itself pretty good. See #251 at:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=242361&page=7

(Parenthetically, I linked to my blog as well. Secret agenda? Moi?)
Thanks! ...and thanks to many who have enjoyed the podcast.

Goatboy

Post by Goatboy »

Saint N. wrote:...
Y'know, just a few weeks back I started thinking that this whole FtB vs the rest of the atheist movement (you know that privileged, male, white, sexist, cisgendered...blah blah blah...one) couldn't possible go on for another year, since just about everything we could possibly say against them has already been said. But then came this whole A+(theism) crap. Now I'm thinking that even if this plus nonsense dies out quickly, they'll just keep coming up with more lulz worthy stuff for us to laugh at. Basically, I predict this thread will span for hundreds of more pages before it's all said and done. So...

and lest we forget,

http://i48.tinypic.com/4qpmjb.jpg
I’ve been reading through some of the old threads from ERV and it’s pretty obvious that a fairly large percentage of the things that could be said were all said within two weeks of Elevatorgate.

It’s depressing to realise that people have been accused of misogyny, just for asking for some actual evidence, for over a year now. It’s also funny how utterly incapable of addressing those requests Skepchicks/FfTB remain. Hell, just last week Rebecca Watson claimed that many of the numerous rape threats she receives come from people who identify as humanists in their online profiles.

Have we seen these threats? No. Has she named these people? No. But Humanism apparently has a real problem and the only way to solve it is to subcontract our reasoning to these idiot demagogues.

So yeah, the conflict is eternal – or at least until they can no longer squeeze petty drama, ego reinforcement and income from it.

windy

Post by windy »

Gumby wrote: Yep, they started a whole new movement, and they don't even know what it is yet. All they've managed to do so far is tack a fucking plus sign at the end of the atheist "A" and attract a bunch of Women's Studies 101 armchair slacktivists. "Wheee! We're gonna change the world? Uh, what is this all about, anyway?"
They've basically embraced the equivalent of "Framing Science" and are fellating Phil Plait's DBAD despite all their protests against those tactics not so long ago. "You went full Mooney, guys. Never go full Mooney."

Post by Guest »

JackRayner wrote:You gotta be fucking kidding me. Are the baboons trying to ruin atheism for me?! I didn't even know they'd taken AronRa down with them, and now they're trying to take The Thinking Atheist too? FML! :x
Woke up today to find that post gone! (I need to get used to taking screen shots of this kind of stuff, huh? Y'all seem to be on top of that, and with good reason, it seems.) Seth was talking about a panel he was going to be on, of atheist men speaking out against hatred of women, and had linked to some article on Skepchick by AronRa. Apparently this panel would include Dillacunty. Is he reconsidering after all of the negative comments?..

Anywho, seems like a better reaction than we've seen from Dillacunty and his "agree or I'll block you" sprees...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

windy wrote:
Gumby wrote: Yep, they started a whole new movement, and they don't even know what it is yet. All they've managed to do so far is tack a fucking plus sign at the end of the atheist "A" and attract a bunch of Women's Studies 101 armchair slacktivists. "Wheee! We're gonna change the world? Uh, what is this all about, anyway?"
They've basically embraced the equivalent of "Framing Science" and are fellating Phil Plait's DBAD despite all their protests against those tactics not so long ago. "You went full Mooney, guys. Never go full Mooney."
And Accommodationist. After all the shit people got for working with believers to increase evolution/science education, all the shit people got for working with believers for community service/social justice causes, ALOVASUDDENT A+theism isnt opposed to working with theists for their 'feminist' goals.

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

A bit on why I disagree with Atheism+
Atheism has no political agenda. If Rush Limbaugh, or Wendy Wright gave some critical thought to their religion and stopped believing in god then I would want to hear their story. I would not give a toss if they kept all of their other silly political ideas. Rush and Wendy should be able to give up their belief in god and be welcomed to speak at an Atheist conference without some uppity loud mouth cunt shouting them down or trying to get them banned and ostracised.
I want less people to believe in gods and falsely claiming that atheism leads to any political ideology is fucked up illogical claptrap. I can listen to Bill Maher talk about atheism and enjoy it but I don't have to agree with him about vaccinations or any of his other views. I would not be so rude as to call him out on his anti-vaccination stance if he was giving a talk about non belief in gods at an atheist meeting because they are completely separate issues. There is no way that you can draw anything political from a non belief in gods.
Another good example would be the Dalai-lama. He is an atheist and I would be interested to see him talk about gods and get his perspective on atheism; but he is part of a political hierarchy that fucked over the people of Tibet for centuries and oppressed women in particular. So I don't agree with the Dalai-lama on the political bullshit but I still want to hear what this thinking man has to say. Sure you can go and have your little silly exclusive club, but you will be excluding people who I think might have interesting things to say. I hope you will become more and more isolated in your little circle jerk that has nothing to do with atheism and any influence you might have will dry up.
Stop calling your band of ignorant fucks pushing your political barrow atheism+ and stop trying to tell other people that atheism has any political implications. GTFO you manipulative devious sneaky lying sacks of political crap.
If I see a person wearing an atheist+ emblem at least I will know who to kick in the balls or punt in the cunt (figuratively).

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

New Sneer Review: The Evolution of Atheism
I'm not sure I like where this is heading.
(can't seem to post images from some blogs directly. I get "can't determine size of image". How do I get around that?)

A comment leads to this (image too large to post on board properly)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

tachikoma wrote:New Sneer Review: The Evolution of Atheism
I'm not sure I like where this is heading.
(can't seem to post images from some blogs directly. I get "can't determine size of image". How do I get around that?)

A comment leads to this (image too large to post on board properly)
http://i.imgur.com/CVwfV.jpgIt's because there's some sort of wrapper around the image. I right-clicked, and selected "Copy Image Location" then pasted that between the tags.

Not sure how to get around this...