Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
tachikoma

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by tachikoma »

rayshul wrote:Atheism+‏@atheismplus

Pat Condell thinks we should also worry about Islamic misogyny. We'll do that once our elevators are safe. #atheismplus
Can't tell if poe.
Jean was recommended to me originally by Justicar. Although he was picking holes in her even then - as were many other people. I think some people get tired of criticism of their own failings and find it easier to shout TROLLS MISOGYNY ETC.
Agreed. I already knew of Kazez through the Tom Johnson affair so when people were praising her here several weeks ago I've been wondering when the other shoe will drop.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Seriously though, staying off the internet is a probably good thing to do for Jen. Earlier in this thread...
Badger3k wrote:Normal humans get out, get dirty, interact with different people throughout the day - in person. Living one step removed through a monitor has to have some effect on the thought processes, on your basic humanity and connectedness to people.
Hopefully staying off the internet will give her some perspective and away from the toxic influences of online social justice warriors. */optimism* :|

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

tachikoma wrote:
rayshul wrote:Atheism+‏@atheismplus

Pat Condell thinks we should also worry about Islamic misogyny. We'll do that once our elevators are safe. #atheismplus
Can't tell if poe.
Definite Poe. And quite an awesome one. But it's so very, very hard to tell the difference.
tachikoma wrote:
rayshul wrote:Jean was recommended to me originally by Justicar. Although he was picking holes in her even then - as were many other people. I think some people get tired of criticism of their own failings and find it easier to shout TROLLS MISOGYNY ETC.
Agreed. I already knew of Kazez through the Tom Johnson affair so when people were praising her here several weeks ago I've been wondering when the other shoe will drop.
Is there a quick version of that story? I'm interested.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Azathoth wrote: Two quick options for that 1.just set up a paypal and let people drop what they want in there to cover server costs and/or 2. put a page of adsense stuff up and let us get clicky with it.

If it gets too intrusive and people don't like it, I'll take it down.
So, I threw up an adsense banner on the topic view page. Comments?

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Dick Strawkins did a short recap a few pages ago
Dick Strawkins wrote:The biggest 'success' for Wally was in convincing Chris Mooney that Wally was a scientist named 'Tom Johnson' who was witness to shocking behavior of gnu atheist supporters who went around insulting every believer they met, including science friendly pastors at events promoting global warming science!
Mooney took this fanciful story at face value and ran with it on absolutely zero evidence.
Ophelia tried to question some aspects of Mooneys behavior and was banned from his blog, which continued to host many Wally Smith sock puppets who made fun of Ophelia, with Mooney taking no action against them.
Many gnu atheists were also banned when they tried to raise the question of Mooneys behavior and Ophelia's banning.
In the end Wally Smith's undoing came about through overreaching himself. He tried the sock puppet trick on one too many blogs and was caught out by someone who found matching IP addresses in their comment section.
In the end the guy, a graduate student in Tennessee(?) admitted it all and promised to never do it again.
Mooney got a hell of a lot of criticism for this as the sock puppetting that been common on his blog all the while Mooney was doing an impression of modern day Ophelia, banning anyone who questioned things.
He didn't admit anything until all the facts had been revealed by others and it seemed apparent that he must have known the truth of the situation for a long time previously.
Jean Kazez was involved in the latter stages, supporting the Tom Johnson story for a while and then, when it was finally exposed, saying that it was nothing to worry about, just move along.
She even labelled Ophelia a moral degenerate, or something along those lines, for her actions during the saga.
The other thing to note is that many of the strongest supporters of Ophelia throughout the Wally Smith affair have been subsequently knifed in the back by her, as she has morphed into someone who has managed to out Mooney Mooney himself, banning people for dissent left right and center and brooking no questions on her own site.
A more detailed writeup at WEIT

Kazez shows up in the comments.

BTW, IIRC it was surrounding this issue (though not in this WEIT thread) that a poster named "Kevin" said the nasty things he did to Kazez that Kazez now uses as an example of the vitriol prevalent in gnu atheism that lead to rancor surrounding elevatorgate. It definitely was harsh, but it wasn't as if Kazez was totally innocent.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Woops, somehow I deleted the opening few lines which might have helped understanding the Tom Johnson story.
Dick Strawkins wrote:For those who don't know the details, Wally Smith was a Christian troll who targeted the gnu atheist community about three years ago. He set up several blogs and used an enormous number of sockpuppets to create the impression that there was a sizeable group who agreed with his points. He also used sockpuppets to call Ophelia Benson names, notably labelling her a "putrid twat", with the expected result from Ophelia (a complete freak out)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Tigzy wrote:
Again, I have to go back to the previous analogy I made, where people such as Comedy Jenni are of precisely the same strain as those contestants on X Factor/American idol who, on being informed that their singing is actually shit, bleat about how all their friends and family have always told them how wonderful their voice is.
^^This. So much this. A million internets are being shipped to you right now trough your USB. Have hugs and chocolate. And cats. And a sickening sense that I am a sweaty virgin who is not very good at dealing with people, other than through the medium of childishly unrealistic promises of metaphysical gifts.

Git

Post by Git »

Exactly. Whiny narcissistic prima-donnas who have never worked a fucking day of hard work in their lives and who have had everything handed to them on a plate.

Stick the whole fucking lot of them in the middle of a rainforest and they'd all be dead of whining and self-pity before nightfall.

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Azathoth wrote: Two quick options for that 1.just set up a paypal and let people drop what they want in there to cover server costs and/or 2. put a page of adsense stuff up and let us get clicky with it.

Can't see it. It is late and I may be having an attack of the stupids. Linky?

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

never mind. just popped up

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Why, yes, I would love to learn biblical hebrew...clickity click.

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

I'm looking for a chinese wife myself

surreptitious57

Re: You should be ashamed!

Post by surreptitious57 »

sacha wrote:
Apparently we are a hate group
This is similar to the generalising of members of rationalia, of whom I am one, over the infamous Pappa rape joke. It is very easy to stigmatise an entire forum for the actions of some but it is also wrong. I am responsible for my words and my words only. I have zero problem with anyone taking both them and me to pieces. Sometimes it is necessary. But I am not responsible for the words of anyone else however. So saying that this site is a hate group, thereby referencing everyone here, including myself, is wrong, plain and simple. I do not do hate. Indeed I have actually suggested that we respect each other, which did not go down too well but that is by the by. I do not know if everyone else here is indeed a hater, but on a casual glance, I see anger and sarcasm, but not hate.

I came here because it was a new site and I like the graphics. I did not come here to engage in hate towards the Skepchicks or freethoughtbloggers and nor do I anyway. I believe in open, transparent and positive debate. You will see no hate here, at least from me, Paul Zachary Myers. I am sorry that you do hate me, but I can assure you the feeling is not mutual however.

Just for the record I actually agree with some of what you are doing over at freethoughtblogs and also with Rebecca at Skepchick too. I also disagree with some of what you are doing too. I determine on the basis of logic and reason and understanding but not hate. That is how a good site should be, where there is freedom of expression and opinion and not like where there is major group think now. So please do not stereotype every menber of a site, just for reasons of convenience, for there is at least one here who does not conform to the stereotype. I have no reason to. So please do not imply that I do for it is untrue. I do not hate you or Rebecca or Jen or Ophelia or Amy. Or anyone else over at Skepchick or freethoughtblogs.

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

surreptitious57 wrote: Just for the record I actually agree with some of what you are doing over at freethoughtblogs and also with Rebecca at Skepchick too. I also disagree with some of what you are doing too.
Disagreement is not acceptable in either of those places. You must be suitably subservient and apologetic for your maleness. Your dissenting opinion as a holder of a worthless Y chromosome is obviously due to you not getting it (or being an evil MRA,rape enabling, sexist troll). You need to just shut up and listen to the women until you can parrot their arguments when questioned on what you think.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

surreptitious57 wrote:I determine on the basis of logic and reason and understanding but not hate.
Whereas I do hate.
I hate naked hypocrisy.
I despise this behaviour.
Especially when it is endless, and deliberately manufactured in order to make money, and gain power.
Hate it.

I also hate it when reactionaries distort reality by not properly analysing situations, but instead relying on propaganda for their data.
I HATE folk who claim to be skeptics, yet are its very antithesis.

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Where's the mooning smilie when I need one?
You mean the goatse smiley right? right? what? what!!! :moon: is so passé.
Here you go -

Here's another smiley-intolerant approved smiley -

franc

Post by franc »

franc wrote:Here you go -
One more for the road -

astrokid.nj

Generalizations vs Universal stmts

Post by astrokid.nj »

surreptitious57 wrote: This is similar to the generalising of members of rationalia, of whom I am one, over the infamous Pappa rape joke. It is very easy to stigmatise an entire forum for the actions of some but it is also wrong. I am responsible for my words and my words only. I have zero problem with anyone taking both them and me to pieces. Sometimes it is necessary. But I am not responsible for the words of anyone else however. So saying that this site is a hate group, thereby referencing everyone here, including myself, is wrong, plain and simple.
One more instance of thinking that a generalization is a universal statement that applies to every member.
Of course kazez and co are justified in making generalizations w.r.t the Pit. Everybody makes generalizations.. thats how the human brain operates based on its experiences. "Birds fly" even though Ostriches, Kiwis, Dodos etc dont.
Whether the generalization is accurate or not is a separate matter.
Steven Pinker talks about this in his Blank Slate. While making generalizations is fine and its ok for an outsider to retain that generalization/stereotype in mind, its ethical to suspend it when interacting with an individual from that group. You have to give them the benefit of doubt. This is where Kazez and co fail.
Generalities exist. A bigot thinks there are no exceptions. An idiot thinks everyone is an exception.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Someone earlier on mooted the possibility of donating to those who help women who have been scarred in acid attacks - if you're interested, there's a charity which deals with this: Acid Survivors Trust International

Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

Tigzy wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Someone earlier on mooted the possibility of donating to those who help women who have been scarred in acid attacks - if you're interested, there's a charity which deals with this: Acid Survivors Trust International
That name just made me giggle at mental images of gibbering old hippies. I hate my brain sometimes

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

tachikoma wrote:Woops, somehow I deleted the opening few lines which might have helped understanding the Tom Johnson story.
Dick Strawkins wrote:For those who don't know the details, Wally Smith was a Christian troll who targeted the gnu atheist community about three years ago. He set up several blogs and used an enormous number of sockpuppets to create the impression that there was a sizeable group who agreed with his points. He also used sockpuppets to call Ophelia Benson names, notably labelling her a "putrid twat", with the expected result from Ophelia (a complete freak out)
Thanks for the linkage tachikoma... I see I've got some reading ahead of me.

franc

fucking Etiquette (cunts)

Post by franc »

Please? Is it too much to ask to take 30 seconds out of your very busy schedules to consider basic editing stuff before clicking post?

F'rinstance, if you are adding a one line comment, is it really necessary to block quote the entire 500 word comment you are replying too? Especially when it also includes images and video? Or to click the preview button and check that the comment is coherent, readable and that its nested quotes, links and embeds actually work?

Takes a lot of wind out of the sails, especially when you are highlighting baboon intellectual shortcomings. :suimouth:

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

New post from up-and-coming Witch of the Week Karla Porter (@Karla_Porter)

http://personal.karlaporter.com/post/30 ... orld-turns

"As the Atheist World Turns"
John, every day almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That’s one child every five seconds. But taking the stage tonight is the reality TV show, As the Atheist World Turns, a melodrama that has riveted both believers and non-believers to the screen of their television sets this summer. It’s trashing American Idol and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo to the bottom of the Nielsen ratings.

The casting call required security guards from the Maury Povich show to keep candidates in line and from lampooning one another with vitriolic barbs and lobbing fireproof necklace pendants like grenades. Producers scratched their heads as one after the other auditioning for parts recited Shakespearesque stupefying diatribes of litany unintelligible to them. It was unlike anything they had ever experienced.

There are pulpits and debates, blogger wars, tweet flinging, grandstanding, coalitions, baiting, sidelining and ‘gate’ scandals that put Mob Wives NYC to shame. Bored with lack of belief, an evangelical atheism has arisen based on social justice, along with proper Venn diagrams to explain it all - and it’s called, Atheism Plus. It was started by feminist blogger, Jen McCreight. Our producers tried desperately to reach McCreight for comments this evening, but it appears she was banned from the Internet by her boyfriend.

We’ll be back to talk more about the live atheist wars on As the Atheist World Turns after these commercial messages….

We’re back now with a schism that has resulted in two divergent camps, a ‘them’ and an ‘us’. Others in the atheist community played out on television sets across America have divorced the movement and adopted silence. One of the highlights of this reality show are the impromptu contests that arise to see who can use the words misogynist and douchebag the most times in one sentence - with each side claiming victory over the other.

I recently visited an Atheist Plus conference, where organizers fabricated policies for orthodox seating arrangements, men on one side, women on the other and a gender neutral section for anyone in need. T-shirts and fake jewelry were no where to be found and the location was limited to a one story building without an elevator. In a secret control room, anyone caught in the cameras lens in someone else’s personal space risked remote behavior modification through the metal electrode embedded in their lanyard.

John, I must admit, I have never seen anything like it in all my years as a journalist.

Thank you Barbara. And now here’s George with an update from Moscow on Pussy Riot…

jmtz

Post by jmtz »

@ Scented Nectar .....

"Woohoo! Look here! It's... ‪The SlimePit Archive!!!"

Thanks SN ...Abbie's right ..you are amazing!!

@ Skeeve...

"I think I need to stock up on popcorn, this may get better."

Heh...every time I see a reference to popcorn, it makes me think of one of my first comments over at ERV in July of 2011.
Now that SN has the old threads up, I was able to find it. What a long strange trip it's been. Here's the old comment.

"I've mostly been munching popcorn though all this ...but I have been reading quite a bit ...so I followed John C. Welch's link at 527 to Jennifer Ouellette's post "Is it cold in here" (if John had a comment there , it's been scrubbed)
This was the post that PZ sent folks to read because she evidently "gets it"
At any rate...I poked around a little and was struck by this part of Jennifer's post ...
" A guy at an atheist/skeptics meeting hits on a young woman in an elevator at 4 AM, ignoring the fact that she just spent the evening talking about how she hates being objectified at such gatherings.
All these sorts of things seem tiny and insignificant by themselves, but they add up,..."

It's pretty clear that she thinks that if folks could have directly observed what actually went on in that elevator , they would likely consider it "insignificant'..
This doesn't seem to be much different than "zero bad" ....but Jennifer wants us to believe it's much worse than "zero bad" because of a bunch of other "seemingly insignificant" things that have happened to Watson in the past that we're somehow supposed to know about.
So... EG didn't harass her ( by all accounts he was not pushy and polite) ...but because lots of other guys have done "seemingly insignificant" things to Watson in the past , we're to believe that EG was a terrible jerk...
Also.too...if you observe that what happened was "zero bad" instead of "insignificant"...
you obviously" hate women" and are a "rape apologist" and deserve to be humiliated (name names) and boycotted.
I suppose I'm just not buying that agreeing that this was likely "zero bad" is somehow as bad as sending someone a "I'm going to rape you" email.
I'm open to being corrected here if this is all wrong. ( I've already been told that I'm blinded by male privilege ...I don't buy that either.)

Posted by: jmtz | July 26, 2011 11:40 PM"

Abbie..you too have been amazing!!
Insert popcorn munching smilie.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

[youtube]T549VoLca_Q[/youtube]

Paging #ftbullies...

CommanderTuvok

Re: fucking Etiquette (cunts)

Post by CommanderTuvok »

franc wrote:Please? Is it too much to ask to take 30 seconds out of your very busy schedules to consider basic editing stuff before clicking post?

F'rinstance, if you are adding a one line comment, is it really necessary to block quote the entire 500 word comment you are replying too? Especially when it also includes images and video? Or to click the preview button and check that the comment is coherent, readable and that its nested quotes, links and embeds actually work?

Takes a lot of wind out of the sails, especially when you are highlighting baboon intellectual shortcomings. :suimouth:

I AGREE.

;)

drolrev0

Post by drolrev0 »

@Vacula, well... since everyone else is playing "I'm so oppressed, oh, woe is me!", why not the retards?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

drolrev0 wrote:@Vacula, well... since everyone else is playing "I'm so oppressed, oh, woe is me!", why not the retards?
I seriously doubt that I will ever stop using that word. In the case of the baboons it is a bit redundant though.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I would never call a retard a 'retard'. That would be an insult.
[youtube]nzI9yJOrHz0[/youtube]

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

A+ is picking up on reddit. SRS is on high alert. Lousy Kanuck makes an appearance. Good times.

sacha

Slyme Pit approved humour

Post by sacha »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Unwanted Guest wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/fbb8gm.png

Get that, in her twit #2? Kazez actually thinks MKG's fake Surly-Rammer was anti-Semitic!

One can only wonder what she must think of the INGSOC logo.

Clueless bint.

And by bint, I mean cunt.
Well she might have a point there even though she lied that everyone let it pass.
I asked a question about that post as soon as I saw it as I thought it was well dodgy.
Surly Amy is Jewish and therefore any Jewish associated 'joke' runs the risk of being interpreted as anti-semitic.
The word pooftah was also included - a homophobic slur.
Someone suggested it was a crap Godwin so I was waiting to see what Michael K Gray (was it?) would say about it himself.
Relax, Strawkins. There are no sacred cows here. Any subject can be used for humour. No one gets an "I'm offended" pass.

The rape jokes I've posted are far more sordid than MKG's humourous Oppression Irony.

If someone here were truly homophobic, or anti-semitic (other than how most of us feel about all religion) it would not be tolerated. You know that.
"...associated 'joke' runs the risk of being interpreted..."
No eggshells to walk on here, if one is concerned about how comments are interpreted by "outsiders", they are in the wrong place.
We will be accused of hatred, no matter what.

A true misogynist is ripped apart without mercy the moment after they post here, it has happened more than a few times. Do you think anyone like Kazez even acknowledges it to themselves, let alone make a public statement about it?

The interpretation of anything that is said here by anyone but fellow Slyme Pit members is irrelevant.

I can understand someone wanting to clarify their meaning and intention if someone like Paula Kirby misunderstands something, and that is up to the person who made the comment, but the Baboons misconstrue just about everything written here, regardless of the intent, and I don't give a toss about those that are willing to accept that we are a "hate group" without reading the thread for themselves.
You were branded a Slyme Pitter the moment you first made a supportive comment here.

You made it clear that you did not approve of MKG's comment, and still Kazez chose to pretend your response does not exist.

So why would you be concerned that others may take offense to what MKG wrote?
Skeeve wrote:Anti-semitic and homophobic, seriously?

How thick does one have to be to miss the obvious point of this:

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

^
Thanks for that, sacha.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@SN - Congratz on your milestone.

@MKG - Sorry old chap, why waste a perfecty good hate on the baboons? They are entertaining after all.

@Lusoma, I turned off add block for the site and so far have seen no ads..... hmm?

@Jean Kazez I do not know who you are and I do not care. However, I am honoured to be listed as an "enabler". Thank you \bow.

In other news, I won the murder mystery and was awarded a cup! An oscar was presented to the best role player, and another cup was awarded to the person who brought in the best dish. I have been inspired to try and win the culinary cup for the next round. Perhaps my award winning baked tuna pasta with mushroom sauce casserole with sauteed shrimp will do the trick!

(After you take the casserole out of the oven, you add the shrimp to the top after it has cooled a bit, but before the top cheese layer has set. The shrimp is sauteed for around 30 minutes over a very low heat with fresh garlic and onions in olive oil. I use a mild cheese so it does not drown the shrimp).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Bloody reactionary self-proclaimed puffed-up philosophers with only arts degrees.
(Yes Kazez: whoever you are in your small pond.)
It is a syndrome, I tell you.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Mr Danksworth wrote:A+ is picking up on reddit. SRS is on high alert. Lousy Kanuck makes an appearance. Good times.
....and denies the boycott of Richard Dawkins by rw. The denialism is surreal. He admits that rw stated an elongated definiton of a boycott, but then denies that its a boycott - the word invented to explain in a short word what rw said in a rambling post.

For a definitive answer: Did rw claim to boycott dawkins? Take it away vicky pollard!

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

AndrewV69 wrote:
@Lusoma, I turned off add block for the site and so far have seen no ads..... hmm?
I can see an add at the bottom of the page. They are subtle which is good. A bible charity add is not really something I would click however!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

I have just ordered two pendants from Zazzle, using my Irony Cross* design.
It is thereby covered by author's copyright.
I herein declare (in a surly "kick ass" fashion) that I shall pursue any copyright violations at my discretion, should it be reproduced in any fashion without my explicit documented consent.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Waking up to the news of Neil Armstrong passing away is quite devastating. This will be a crappy sunday for me.

Gordon Ramsay

Post by Gordon Ramsay »

AndrewV69 wrote:The shrimp is sauteed for around 30 minutes over a very low heat ..
Right that's it! I've had enough. You're obviously a total bastard. You didn't listen to the wimmin (flounce)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I need to keep some score on this:

1. The number of times someone from the FTB crew says, "Women feel unsafe and unhappy at skeptic events, so why do you oppose this."

2. The number of times women comment incognito online and begin by saying, "I'm too scared to post any more information about myself or comment properly on this because I'm scared of FTB coming after me."

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Waking up to the news of Neil Armstrong passing away is quite devastating. This will be a crappy sunday for me.
He was one of those guys I'd never thought would die, y'know? GHng.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Waking up to the news of Neil Armstrong passing away is quite devastating. This will be a crappy sunday for me.
He was one of those guys I'd never thought would die, y'know? GHng.
Yes, pretty much. I'm going to re-watch "When we left the Earth", one of those rare occasions when he would be interviewed.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

One more reason to concentrate on my (previously alluded?) task of restoring the Australian recordings of the landing.
The Australian recordings are far superior to any of those that NASA has not yet "lost".
(We got them first, and saw them a second or more than NASA itself!, as the Aussie Honeysuckle Creek & Parkes were the primary receiving stations)

A tragedy in itself: that NASA recycled the original tapes to "save money".

One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

I have access to the most pristine Australian originals, and he DID say "a man", despite what kooks may posit.

Requiescat in Pace, Neil.

sacha

well, now you know

Post by sacha »

Perhaps he didn't know that Surly Amy is Jewish and therefore the Star of David pendant was, as already suggested, a badly Godwinned attempt at a joke.
For my own part, I only learned that "Roth" was a Jewish surname over this past week or two...
Well, I didn't know Surly Amy was Jewish either...

Amy is Merkin and far too young to have lived in Nazi occupied Europe. She did not survive a concentration camp. She has created enough fake oppression to feign perpetual victimhood, without others creating even more reasons.

Everyone needs to stop the humourous analogies with dictatorships and oppression! Don't you people know I have some Russian ancestry, and have relatives who had to live under Stalin?

Anyone with Chinese decent? Mao Zedong
Italian? Benito Mussolini
Cambodian? Pot Pol
Ugandian? Idi Amin
Chilian? Pinochet
from Zimbabwe? Robert Mugabe
Sudanese? Omar Al-Bashir
Libyan? Muammar Al-Gaddafi

There have been numerous brutal oppressive dictators, all with a horrific list of crimes against humanity, usually against their own people.

Amy may not even have any descendants who were in Nazi occupied Europe. Not every Jewish person has roots there...

In addition, Amy is an atheist. I don't see her going to a synagogue to mourn and show respect for the victims of the Holocaust, and it is considered extremely disrespectful for a Jewish person to voluntary have themselves tattooed, because of the tattooed numbers on the arms of those who were in concentration camps. She is about as personally affected by a Nazi reminder as any ethical person is.

If those who have something in common with people tyrannized by the Nazis are handled with special consideration, then those that have something in common with anyone who lived in fear should receive the same courtesy.

and why is it only Jewish people that others are concerned about when Nazis are referenced?

"Pooftah" is mentioned as being homophobic, but not the persecution of homosexuals by Nazis? It is estimated that 100,000 gay men (and some gay women) were arrested during Hitler's reign. Many were sent to the concentration camps, and the ones that were imprisoned in regular prisons were not much better off.

What about the mentally ill and the physically and mentally disabled? Why are they not mentioned when a joke is made about the Holocaust? They don't deserve the same respect as Jewish people?

If Amy had survived the Holocaust, then I would agree that a humorous Nazi reference is inappropriate. Perhaps also if her parents survived, but just being of Jewish descent does not entitle one to special treatment when using irony to make a point.

In addition, Amy is an atheist. I don't see her going to a synagogue to mourn and show respect for the victims of the Holocaust, and it is considered extremely disrespectful for a Jewish person to voluntary have themselves tattooed, because of the tattooed numbers on the arms of those who were in concentration camps.

sacha

Re: well, now you know

Post by sacha »

sorry about the duplicate paragraph at the bottom of my post.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Up Honeysuckle creek

Thanks a lot for that.

So far, the best quality videos I've seen of Apollo XI are on the "When we left the Earth" DVD set. If you ever restore the Aussie ones, I'll be most grateful.

Michael K Gray

Re: Up Honeysuckle creek

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Thanks a lot for that.
So far, the best quality videos I've seen of Apollo XI are on the "When we left the Earth" DVD set. If you ever restore the Aussie ones, I'll be most grateful.
I have added you to my "list of interested persons", as well as have the CIA.
<blockquote>If you ever restore the Aussie ones</blockquote>
It ranks number 1 on my bucket list.
I am writing bespoke mathematical image stabilising, filtering and temporal recreation software at the moment.

sacha

Post by sacha »

BarnOwl wrote:Hipster slacker road trip!

http://paranormalroadtrip.org/
I like Richard Wiseman, and so far Jon Ronson does not seem to be a Baboon.

Can you imagine being stuck in a car on a road trip with Becci? They have my sympathy.

gooby

Post by gooby »

Git wrote:So Phil Plait has swallowed the Baboon Propaganda Hookline and sinker, as someone mentioned earlier.

However, in the comments (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... ent-552678), Hugo (http://lithopanspermia.blogspot.co.uk/) takes them to task with righteous fury:

Look, there are two things here. One is that there is certainly a huge amount of filth out there; things such as the Encyclopaedia Dramatica and others. Yes, it’s reprehensible, but good luck trying to clean up the internet. You might as well drain the Atlantic with a thimble. A thimble with holes in it.
Rebecca Watson calmly and rationally tells men not to hit on women in enclosed spaces and reaps a supernova of hate and irrational vitriol

Well, that’s one way of phrasing it. Here’s another: RW whips up a storm of self-pity that continues to rage of a year. A year, during which, I might add, far better women than she, such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Abbie Smith, are smeared and defamed by the same fools who are joining in the pity party. And anyone who offers the slightest objection is smeared as a rape apologist. And then we find that, incited by Watson and similar types, FTB bloggers are showing up at workplaces and trying to get people fired And then we hear yet more smears by complete nonentities against people like Sam Harris and D.J. Grothe, without whom we’d have an extremely impoverished movement.
And on it goes.
And
On
And
On
It
Goes.
Threats, dickery, bullying, hate, insults, mob-baiting, and humiliation are not honorable actions and must not be used.

Dr. Plait you are clearly a man of integrity and honesty, and I respect you, but… tell it to them. Did you say something when the reprehensible smearing of Dawkins happened? Or about the endless filth thrown at Sam Harris? Or the recent denunciations and smears of Ayaan Hirsi Ali? Or when Greg Laden showed up at Abbie Smith’s workplace to cause trouble for her?
Well, did you?
Why not?
Well, why not?
To return to the case of Watson, I had never heard of her before this spat – that’s how valuable she’s been to atheism. If it had stayed with her simple comment, I might have defended her. But it didn’t, and the more I learned, the more disgusted I got. I learned that she would use her position in a public lecture to go after someone just for an internet argument. I learned of her wonderful “Wild West Bordello” skepchick party ideas (but please, no sexualizing!) and how those who objected found themselves attacked as “feminazi”, “prude”, “anti-sex”, “anti-feminist”. I read her disgusting screed about “gender traitors” – note this well: Watson explicitly canalizes the most toxic and vile political tradition for her own ends.
Did you speak about any of that? Did you defend those that did?
And on it goes, and on it goes.
So, sorry. No sale. Thanks but no thanks. We seem to be told that if you want to be a “skeptic” you have to be willing to throw out Dawkins, Harris, Ali, Warraq, Grothe, Jillette and every person with anything interesting or intelligent to say.
Well in which case: you can take your skepticism and shove it. You know where.
I was down in London the other week with a wonderful old humanist comrade of mine. She’s a real, old-school feminist, and she said that she was fed up with the “skeptic” movement. She said that all she found was a bunch of people sitting round the pub smirking at how superior they felt.
Is that what you want skepticism to be? Is it just another club for upper middle-class twits to feel self-satisfied?
Amen, as they say. Perhaps someone can screenshot his comment and add it to the database?
Thanks for alerting me to this. Not bad!

I left another comment (which is currently in moderation but hopefully will get through):
I sort of knew RW before the whole elevator kerfuffle. That is, we were living in the same city, and I saw her a few times at venues we both might be expected to be in, but never talked to her. All told, she didn't leave any kind of impression and I never understood why there was much of a fuss about her.

Then all this happened, and I still don't get it. She seems to know about as much about science and philosophy as a marginally bright high schooler might know. Why is she in the skeptical movement anyway? Mild inconveniences she's dealt with aside, she's pitifully underqualified. And she's most certainly not worth all the drama. End of discussion. The only thing I would ever possibly want to learn from her is how she hammered in the last nail to her self-pity cross.
And hello.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

sacha wrote:
BarnOwl wrote: Can you imagine being stuck in a car on a road trip with Becci? They have my sympathy.
I'm triggering right now.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm assuming she found a privileged white cisgendered heterosexual male to do it for her.

Hullo. :)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

sacha wrote:Can you imagine being stuck in a car on a road trip with Becci? They have my sympathy.
Sympath not! For they ship their ready-manufactured para-normal manifestation puppet as parasitic cargo.

sacha

stop acting like a chick

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote:I'm embarassed as fuck when I see female public figures, publicly crying. Whether they are seen doing so, or just talk about it on their blogs afterwards, I cringe. If you can't resist crying in your public life, maybe you're not cut out for a public life. Toughen the fuck up or get out.
and they wonder why we Gender Traitors want to distance ourselves as far as possible from that type of woman. It is an embarrassment to be the same gender.

demanding, vindictive, emotional, and weak. yeah, I'm jealous.

Michael K Gray

Re: stop acting like a chick

Post by Michael K Gray »

Yeah, its old, but worth replaying as a community service.
sacha wrote:Toughen the fuck up or get out.
[youtube]c5UqTgGJ8Fg[/youtube]

sacha

Post by sacha »

franc wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Where's the mooning smilie when I need one?
You mean the goatse smiley right? right? what? what!!! :moon: is so passé.
Here you go -

Here's another smiley-intolerant approved smiley -

I did not get a smiley-intolerant vote.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I don't have a problem with public figures crying if it's about something that's, you know, something people would normally cry about. I mean, have a cry about losing an Olympic medal. Have a cry about a disappointing career problem or even a fucking fantastic one.

Just don't fucking cry and then boast about it because you want to milk your victim cred.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:I don't have a problem with public figures crying if it's about something that's, you know, something people would normally cry about. I mean, have a cry about losing an Olympic medal. Have a cry about a disappointing career problem or even a fucking fantastic one.

Just don't fucking cry and then boast about it because you want to milk your victim cred.
Such 'crying' is diagnostic of willful parasitism.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sacha: for a very good documentary about Gays and Lesbians during WWII, watch "Paragraph 175". Interestingly enough, "only" 5 Lesbians were ever sent to camp. The rest were forcefuly "reconverted" to heteosexuality.

My fiancée (Jewish) has lost a grand-parent in Auschwitz. We visited a couple of years ago, and let me say: we were moved. A lot. And yet we still make Shoa jokes. My grand-fathers were both imprisoned by the Nazis, and still they found the time to make jokes about it.

People should lighten the fuck up!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:we still make Shoa jokes.
For those attempting to reference this word (שואה), it is usually Anglicised as "Shoah"