Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
AndrewV69

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by AndrewV69 »

LouFCD wrote:I tend to see the two major American political parties as a choice between

A: The Party of Completely and Utterly Batshit Fucking Insane
B: The Party of Slightly Less Batshit Fucking Insane
I tend to see it that way also.

From my viewpoint Americans are fucked no matter who wins any election. Part of the problem is that their elites have pretty much demonstrated that as far as they are concerned, America is just another country within their global financial empire.

Better get accustomed to being exploited like any other 3rd world country.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

BarnOwl wrote:US electoral smackdown from McCreight:
Obama isn’t perfect, but he’s the only option that supports equal civil rights for women, racial minorities, and LGBT individuals. And to me nothing more is important in my country than equal rights for all. If you put your pocketbooks ahead of equality, you’re selfish and downright immoral. My grad student stipend is technically at the poverty line for Washington state, and I would still happily pay higher taxes if it meant providing social services and helping those who need it the most. Heaven forbid I don’t have the luxury of an iPhone because I think someone’s children having food on the table is more important.
In essence I agree with most of her points, but of course she neglects to mention that most USAians who live at the poverty line don't receive regular infusions of cash from mommy and daddy.
University of Washington Genome Sciences Graduate Program Highlights:
http://www.gs.washington.edu/academics/ ... rogram.htm
full funding:
All students receive full funding, including a tuition waiver, health insurance, and a stipend for living expenses (currently $27,348) for the duration of their studies, subject to sufficient academic progress.
US Poverty Guidelines, 2012:
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml#thresholds
For the 48 contiguous states...:

# of persons / annual income
1 $11,170
2 15,130
3 19,090
4 23,050
5 27,010
6 30,970
I assume that the graduate stipend given above is annual, rather than for the duration of their studies. If that's the case, unless Jen has more than 4 dependents, she's nowhere near the poverty line. (I don't know of, and didn't find, state-specific definitions of poverty. Cost of living is higher in Seattle than most of the rest of Washington state, but that doesn't change the definition of poverty, as far as I know.)

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

decius wrote:GenerallyFading, if your total caloric intake is lower than your consumption, then you will lose weight whatever the proportion of nutrients.

On the other hand, if you wish to deny the first law of thermodynamics, we have a problem.
Right, will try posting with a quote - calories in, calories out is an inaccurate measure. Think of it like putting petrol in a car - if you put less in, your car does not run more efficiently over time, it simply runs out of energy.

Decius, can you answer why, when I ate very little food I gained weight?

Tigzy, thank you for your comments, I was getting very frustrated at posting. The only reason I would gain weight however, is because a certain amount of food spikes my BG levels. If it did not, I could eat as much as I wanted without gaining. This is why, when I ate very little, but spiked them, I gained weight. The wrong exercise causes the fight or flight reaction which causes BG spikes - that's why jogging and swimming don't work for me, whereas gentle weight lifting does.

Altair

Post by Altair »

real horrorshow wrote: There are two problems here. One, is the desire to impose quotas because women 'ought' to be equally represented in certain careers. A few days ago, it was mentioned that there are intermittent campaigns to get more women into STEM, and that yhe insuperable problem is that women aren't in those jobs - mainly - because they don't want to be.

It's the same with the 'women in atheism/scepticism' issue. Paula Kirby has made it clear: Try as you might to get women to take a part in speaking at conferences, most women don't want to. Bend over backwards, and you still get more men taking to the mic.

This is not good enough for the Watsonistas. Equity must be pursued for it's own sake. Bugger the quality of the speakers; at least half of them must be women. Likewise for the attendees. If the only way to achieve this is to have crap women speakers and to alienate men; all to the good. Women will then become a larger part of the shrinking whole. Never mind that the logical consequence is to have women 'owning' 100% of nothing.
Exactly, quotas only appear when women are underrepresented and the job is good. Have you ever seen a campaign or quota to get more men into nursing or teaching?
In Colombia we have had a guerrilla problem for like 50 fucking years, and there is a peace negotiation going on in Norway now. So recently we've had a couple articles on newspapers asking about the women in the negotiation team and asking "why aren't there more women in there".
My answer of course would be that the people in that team should be there because of their skills, not their genitalia. If they found 10 men who were better at the task than any woman they had available, then we'll send all men and now women. If it was the opposite, then we would have 10 women, too.

Women seem to be used now to having women everywhere just for being women, because if there aren't a certain number of women in the government, an office, or an skeptical conference, then it's a problem.
When did we being so worried about having "enough" women everywhere? Have you ever seen a group of women worried about getting more men involved in their stuff?
We should start a campaign to add rocket missiles and transformation abilities to the Barbie Convertible to attract more boys.
real horrorshow wrote: The second problem - going back to the workplace - is that women, especially fembot women, will naturally wish to leave dirty, dangerous jobs to men. They will also choose to leave difficult, taxing jobs to men, even when they aren't dangerous. Fembots will campaign for equality only in those arenas where they can be well-paid for spending their time in comfy offices doing little but talk.
Men build civilization. Women shop in it.
Of course, there is never a group of feminists fighting for the right to be coal miners, or deep sea divers, or sewer cleaners. These jobs are always a choice, and men do them because they choose to do so. But if women are out of a job they would love to have, then it's discrimination and patriarchy and we need a lot of affirmative action so we can have a 50/50 distribution.
Or what happened with college degrees, when women were in the minority, there were bunches of programs to help them. Now that they are in the majority, no one is doing anything to help the men who are now dropping out more often and not getting degrees in the same proportion.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

Guest, you could try looking at the factual stuff then. Gary Taubes would be a good start.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

GenerallyFading wrote:Renee, I hope I didn't insult you about the healthy diet thing - it's a sore point with me, but you have obviously looked beyond the conventional methods. I'm sorry about your dad.
Please don't go back to just lurking :)

You didn't insult me at all. Any time someone goes out of their way to give sound advise or help is something I welcome. I had to learn quite a bit about food, exercise, metabolism, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a ton of other things one should never have to learn unless one is becoming a doctor. I apply what I can to myself and my family to keep us healthy (though apparently bronchitis is a bitch I'll never master).

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Loving all this alternative ways of thinking, new concepts of eating and pioneering work on the diet front. Sounds completely different to all the other new diets I've ever heard of.

decius

Post by decius »

GenerallyFading, I'm sorry to have caused you any butthurt, but if you spread pseudoscientific feel-good memes, which may be adopted by the ignorant and uninformed who lurk, you will be called out.

For instance, you said that your exercise amounted to one hour daily walk. Depending on your weight and speed, you were consuming something in the region of 180-400 calories. That is the equivalent of a small slice of pizza or less than half a portion of pasta.
Then perhaps you went home and ate more than usual, because of the strenuous "exercise". If not, you perhaps expected to see drastic results in a short time, but it doesn't work that way.
If you are a very sedentary person, you have to change lifestyle more radically. A short daily walk won't make a dent.

Try again and do it properly, this time. You need a plan and to properly count your calories in and calories out. It will work, I guarantee. It's bloody physics, after all.

Here's a great resource, especially if coupled with a gps application such as Sportypal and/or a step counter.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

decius wrote:[blah blah blah] pizza [blah blah blah]
Damn. All this talk about food is making me hungry again. :?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

bhoytony wrote:Loving all this alternative ways of thinking, new concepts of eating and pioneering work on the diet front. Sounds completely different to all the other new diets I've ever heard of.
What? Sorry, you lost me. Please explain:
alternative ways of thinking, new concepts of eating and pioneering work on the diet front
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you really didn't mean eating 5 small healthy meals a day and exercising :)

cunt

Post by cunt »

GenerallyFading wrote: Decius, I am watching myself lose weight. My doctor is watching me do it too. I don't get why you think you're right when it's not your body. There are many, many people in the same boat - most recommend a diet of 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs.
Sounds like really great way to fuck up your liver and kidneys. When you say that "most recommend" this, does that include your doctors?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

GenerallyFading wrote: Tigzy, thank you for your comments, I was getting very frustrated at posting. The only reason I would gain weight however, is because a certain amount of food spikes my BG levels. If it did not, I could eat as much as I wanted without gaining. This is why, when I ate very little, but spiked them, I gained weight. The wrong exercise causes the fight or flight reaction which causes BG spikes - that's why jogging and swimming don't work for me, whereas gentle weight lifting does.
I'll admit that fat people can't be held wholly culpable for their condition: certainly, a good proportion of the blame can be put on the food manufacturers who market 'healthy-eating' meals when they are nothing of the sort. If you can, see if you can check out a recent BBC documentary series, 'The Men Who Made Us Fat' - could be on Youtube somewhere. It's pretty shocking how duplicitous the food manufacturers can be in getting us to eat too much fat and sugar even when the foods in question might be marketed as diet-meals.

However, it's certainly my experience that the greater majority of people can lose weight - and maintain it - once they apply the general principle of eating less and exercising more. Trouble is, it takes time, dedication, work and patience, and it can be a long time before you start seeing results. More often than not, I see too many people seeking excuses as to why they are fat - and whinging about it - rather than do the work necessary to get rid of it. Also, some of them are either completely unaware of what constitutes a good diet, or are lying to themselves - such as the fat girl I saw in Burger King, who had an XL portion, but asked for a Diet Coke, because of, you know, calories and that.

decius

Post by decius »

For the lurkers, Gary Taubes is an unqualified charlatan, whose pseudoscience is debunked here.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... e-get-fat/

Spence

Post by Spence »

(With apologies for dragging this up from way back, still trying to catch up after a period of being busy...)
Obama isn’t perfect, but he’s the only option that supports equal civil rights for women, racial minorities, and LGBT individuals. And to me nothing more is important in my country than equal rights for all. If you put your pocketbooks ahead of equality, you’re selfish and downright immoral. My grad student stipend is technically at the poverty line for Washington state, and I would still happily pay higher taxes if it meant providing social services and helping those who need it the most. Heaven forbid I don’t have the luxury of an iPhone because I think someone’s children having food on the table is more important.
In essence I agree with most of her points, but of course she neglects to mention that most USAians who live at the poverty line don't receive regular infusions of cash from mommy and daddy.
So Jen says she would happily pay higher taxes?

Then why doesn't she?

I don't know about the US, but in the UK the tax office (her majesty's revenue and customs) will gladly take donations. I assume the US is the same. There is no upper ceiling on how much tax an individual can choose to pay.

So, if she is happy to pay higher taxes, why doesn't she just do it, rather than whining that the president hasn't told her she has to?

Oh yeah, sorry this is A+theism, where whining about something counts for more than doing something about it. How could I forget.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Oh, Oolon. It's so cute that you're watching everything I post and I'm not seeing a damned thing you're putting out :D http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-323126

My post time: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:12 pm Regarding Ophie's recent post. Your comment time on Ophie's post: October 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I'm so glad I pointed you toward Ophie's ass so you could bury you nose. All comfy now?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skipping right on over the weight management stuff (hardly pausing to mention that it's not quite as simple as calories in/calories out, since a person's metabolic rate is an important part of the equation & not only varies between people but declines with dieting) to add:

Would "happily still pay higher taxes" so she's referring to existing taxes that she pays.

What taxes is she talking about? Sales tax? Because Washington state has no income tax, and aren't federal income tax rates low, even zero after deductions & credits, for someone below the poverty line? (Certainly true for people raising children, due to the Earned Income Credit, but I don't think that applies for Jen.) And as a graduate student, she probably doesn't pay property taxes (or if she did, presumably it'd be property that her parents purchased for her).

decius

Post by decius »

GenerallyFading, sorry I missed your question earlier.

I cannot answer that because I wasn't keeping track of your diet and habits at the time. However, it is a very common occurrence for people who just begin to exercise coming from a sedentary lifestyle to gain weight for the first few weeks. Your body may retain more water as it builds up muscle and muscle density is 1.06 g/ml, whereas fat density is 0.9 g/ml. So, you may well lose sizes and gain weight at the same time (for a while).

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Am I wrong or being completely obtuse here?

I've been reading quite a bit lately on the usage of pronouns and such that ensures we aren't limiting things to a binary (male/female) state and I'm frustrated. Not because I don't feel those who do not feel comfortable with a 1 or 2 state should be excluded but rather because the English language is freaking hard enough as it is. Adding more words and more complex meanings seems to me to ensure (in the long run) a complete fuckery of the language.

I remember reading not too long ago that people coming from other countries into the US, trying to learn the language, are struck by how so many words sound so similar and yet have very different meanings. That's just the tip of the iceberg for those learning the English language.

I'm going to just apologize in advance and say I'll be a horrible person and just stick with the language set I already have. Feel free to berate me or call me an ass but I don't have enough years on this planet left to learn an entire new subset of the English language.
Ten bucks says calling Sally "Sally" bothers Sally more than calling Sally "shit."
Fuck it. Fuck it all. From now on, anyone who's too good to be referred to as one of the standard English pronouns (he, she, it, they) will be referred to by my new gender-neutral, non-binary, one-size-fits-all pronoun: Sally. I sincerely hope it gets under Sally's skin and drives Sally fucking nuts. Alternately, Sally could get the fuck over Sally's shit, and come to accept that inventing words for Sallyself is pretentious douchebaggery of the first degree.
I'm starting to lean towards "shit". Forget s/h/it. Just shit. So: I sincerely hope it gets under shit's skin and drives shit fucking nuts. Alternately, shit could get the fuck over shit's shit, and come to accept that inventing words for shitself is pretentious douchebagerry of the first degree. :D

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

JackRayner wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, and another topic that has peeved me over the past 24 hours - Zinnia Jones' bitching about Cenk Uygur using "non-straight sex" to describe sex between a man and transgendered woman.[...]
Don't even get me started on that post...
Here's the post, for anyone interested. [I know some of us get grumpy when links aren't provided. :D ]

http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones ... aight-sex/

I also noticed Pitchguest jumping into the fray over there. He's not the only one taking Zinnia to task on this, either...
Yes, and by the way, note what JS -- a regular commenter on Pharyngula -- says in his comment. Amazing display of stupidity. Of course, in my momentary lapse I made a comment I wasn't too pleased by but in all honesty: it never does. The incremental inanity will make it reach almost astronomical levels of stupid. Just you wait. Someone will divide by zero; and then that someone will call someone a cunt. Probably Ophelia. (Rant: If FTB were a galaxy, I'd consider the FC5/6 the stars which the planetary bodies that are the commenters revolve around. But sooner or later the stars will collapse and the bodies and the galaxy will go down with them. A star will die when it grows too old or the tension grows too strong, well, I'd say their days are numbered.)

cunt

Post by cunt »

What could possibly help people on or below the poverty line more than making them pay higher taxes.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Altair wrote: Exactly, quotas only appear when women are underrepresented and the job is good. Have you ever seen a campaign or quota to get more men into nursing or teaching?
I will just leave these here. Note the different reasons given and the cause.

Desperately Seeking Male Child Care Workers
http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 54311.html
Germany is spending loads of money to recruit male child care workers, launching expensive employment campaigns to attract more men into the profession. Many parents want their children to be educated by both men and women, but low wages mean efforts have met with little success so far.

Men are in particularly high demand because many parents don't want their children looked after exclusively by women. According to a study carried out on behalf of the Ministry of Family Affairs, more than a third of mothers and fathers prefer day care facilities that have male staff. The higher the parents' educational and income levels, the more important they consider having male child care workers.
Men in Childcare and Education Germany
http://www.edinburghfestivalfringe.com/ ... rmany.html
In recent years, in Germany there is growing consciousness about the importance of men for the development of children both in family as well as in kindergarten and schools. A recent nationwide German study on the subject of male educators in kitas sees a positive climate for bringing more men into early childhood institutions. The doors to kitas early childhood centers are wide open for men. But, in German early childhood centers, at present there are only men working in 3 %. Although male workers are very much in demand.
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... hild-care/
The state isn’t doing this, though, solely out of a passion for gender equality or a soft place in their heart for men holding babies. They’re doing it because Germany has promised that there will be a spot in a day care center for all children when they turn one year old. To fulfill this promise, they need more day care workers badly; recruiting men means that that other half of the population might fill out the profession.
You would think that these people would be excited. No?
http://www.genderforum.org/issues/worki ... ale-world/
Are male childcare workers, as Zulehner und Volz suggest, the prototypical "new men,"[5] with implications for de-gendering and professionalising care work? Or are male childcare workers faced with the same structural disadvantages of female occupations, in addition experiencing contradictions in relation to their masculinity? In order to address these questions, the actions and experiences of male childcare workers are examined in relation to work colleagues, parents and the children with whom they interact on a daily basis as part of their work practice. The institutional dimensions of childcare occupations in Germany are also considered in analysing the experiences and tensions faced by male care workers in a female occupation.
Oh well, that's that then. Stupid menz always going to think they are superior to women no matter what.
As Christine L. Williams has also observed, "doing masculinity" permits men in female-dominated work situations "to maintain a sense of themselves as different from and better than women —thus contributing to the gender system that divides men from women in a way that privileges men" (Williams, World 123).
Those menz at it again, inserting their fucking gender into everything.
Similarly striking was the extent to which activities with the children involving physical exercise and sports became an explicit speciality of male care workers.[7] The staffs tended to explain this division of labor by the fact that male colleagues were more involved in sport activities in their free-time. It should also be emphasized, however, that sports offers an opportunity par excellence for men to "perform" gender.
Oh phew! It is OK, the women were in charge after all. Thats all right then. As long as it is a woman ordering menz to be menz that makes it alright.
The gender-based ordering of tasks in the care work facilities studied was not demanded by the male teachers, or the result of open struggles and negotiation about work responsibilities which colleagues then had to accept. Instead, the acceptance and ordering of work tasks was a cooperative action; the male niches of work tasks were both assigned the men by their female colleagues, and eagerly taken on by the men themselves.
Anyway, despite my snark (it is supposed to be ironical) do not let it put you off, I encourage you to read the article in full.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Regarding Zinnia Jones, she made a comment on a recent video, linked here a couple of days ago, that surprisingly made me feel some degree of understanding towards trans-hating radfem lesbians - entirely contrary to Zinnia's intentions.
Her comment was that she didn't think that transexuals should tell sexual partners (that they are transexual) before they have sex.
I suspect the average cis-gendered hetero man might feel exactly the same way as a radfem lesbian, if either of their first romantic encounters with a woman suddenly veers into a remake of 'The Crying Game'.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Reap wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:This oughta raise some hell: Are Men's Rights Legitimate?
No, of course not, you fucking misogynist.

Just finished with Reap. Topics discussed include:

[*]Al Stefanelli raped me.
[*]JackRayner: Digital penetration with a smile.
[*]Justin Vacula, "Rapeula"
[*]Phil_Giordana_FCD, The art of the stealth pearl necklace.
[*]Welch: With a name like "Smuckers" it has to be rape.
[*]ReneeHendricks : Two more shots and it'll be double rape.
[*]Cunt: Cunt
[*]Rystefn: Everyone line up for some rape
[*]Ophelia Benson: What cunt said, cunt.

And, of course, everyone else.
:lol:

Be sure to let us know when that goes up, Reap!
Editing now -it's going to be a 'Special edition' of the ReapSowRadio podcast -have it done later today
Why special? Am I "special"? Do I need to be given a test? Should I buy a banjo?

http://www.aestheticamagazine.com/blog/ ... 50x550.jpg

1. What have I done?

2. Do you have any idea how hard it is to work when your sister is watching a Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit marathon? What a pile of crap. Damn, why didn't I kill my TV when I had the chance?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Loving all this alternative ways of thinking, new concepts of eating and pioneering work on the diet front. Sounds completely different to all the other new diets I've ever heard of.
What? Sorry, you lost me. Please explain:
alternative ways of thinking, new concepts of eating and pioneering work on the diet front
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you really didn't mean eating 5 small healthy meals a day and exercising :)
No, those were quotes from GenerallyFading.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

JackRayner wrote:I can't be bothered to go back and see exactly who I was having the exchange with, but here is footage that shows that Felix Batwgjfvcjkarsgniwu3r made a sonic boom when he broke the sound barrier on his jump. http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/382 ... c+skydive/ [Listen closely at the 25 second mark.]

If it's true, then that's fucking amazing. :clap:
It was me, and I'm impressed.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Typical mysognist MRA that I am, I just can not resist quote mining here to totally misrepresent GendErratic (and provide quote mining fodder myself).

Assholes Come in Two Flavours: Male and Female
http://www.genderratic.com/p/2239/assho ... nd-female/
Finally, if you’re a woman reading this, you should feel deeply ashamed for your gender, after all your gender is responsible for rape, domestic violence, war and all human evil.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

decius wrote:GenerallyFading, if your total caloric intake is lower than your consumption, then you will lose weight whatever the proportion of nutrients.

On the other hand, if you wish to deny the first law of thermodynamics, we have a problem.
That isnt true.

It is highly simplistic to treat the human body like a battery.

The type of nutrients, the rate and quantity at which you consume them all matters.

To pick extreme examples: What do you think would happen if you were to eat a days worth of energy, in one meal all from simple sugars? Then would do you think would happen if you were to consume that same daily quantity in equal doses at 30 min intervals over the course of the day?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

As promised, I (finally) authored a blog post pertaining to -- as the title says -- controversy, activism, and the internet further elaborating on a question Sharon Hill asked me at the PA State Atheist/Humanist Conference. I argue that people who do not handle conflict well should not engage in it. I also detail ways people can contribute to the atheist community while not being public. Enjoy!

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2012 ... -internet/

Ophelia and Stephanie have been waiting for this one, so hopefully we get a response!

Hi Ophelia and Stephanie, I know you're reading :)

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, Oolon. It's so cute that you're watching everything I post and I'm not seeing a damned thing you're putting out :D http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-323126

My post time: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:12 pm Regarding Ophie's recent post. Your comment time on Ophie's post: October 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I'm so glad I pointed you toward Ophie's ass so you could bury you nose. All comfy now?
Sorry Renee, I forgot it was you or I would have given you credit. Although I think I saw you mention it and didn't bother clicking until it started coming up in twitter as well as a tour de slyme. So maybe part credit to CLS or whoever it was promoting it :-) Don't you agree with me that EvevatorGate opining about what a 'hero' she is was pretty ridiculous? Or are you also one of the 'heroes' of the FTBully resistance :violin:

Also why is it brown nosing when I gossip on the blog I like about stuff but when you come over here to moan about everything FtBs do it is cold rational sceptical analysis? Seems like you want to be accepted here with the group you identify with, could be pretty easy for me to characterise that as 'brown nosing franc' or 'sucking ERV's dick'. In fact all you are doing is sharing stuff you think your peer group will be interested in...

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

GenerallyFading wrote:

Right, will try posting with a quote - calories in, calories out is an inaccurate measure. Think of it like putting petrol in a car - if you put less in, your car does not run more efficiently over time, it simply runs out of energy.

Tigzy, thank you for your comments, I was getting very frustrated at posting. The only reason I would gain weight however, is because a certain amount of food spikes my BG levels. If it did not, I could eat as much as I wanted without gaining. This is why, when I ate very little, but spiked them, I gained weight. The wrong exercise causes the fight or flight reaction which causes BG spikes - that's why jogging and swimming don't work for me, whereas gentle weight lifting does.
Here are a few tips from me as someone who has walked the walk quite literally. My largest weight loss was about 70lbs, then lots of yo-yoing.

Hours of daily low intensity walking and riding, and eating less, lost a lot of weight the first time I tried. However it became less effective over the period of a few years, to the point where I was spending a couple of hours each day without seeing any weight loss.

These days most of my exercise consists of heavy weight lifting, purely for the purpose of gaining muscle, primarily upper body/back strength. The added muscle is the key for keeping your body burning fat all day and night long.

I eat plenty of fat. You obviously need to be careful of the amount of energy you are consuming, but luckily it is slow to digest and raise your blood sugar levels. That is in stark contrast to modern processed and mass produced food. Not to mention what can only be described as "pop" nutrition.

decius

Post by decius »

DownThunder wrote:
That isnt true.

The type of nutrients, the rate and quantity at which you consume them all matters.

To pick extreme examples: What do you think would happen if you were to eat a days worth of energy, in one meal all from simple sugars? Then would do you think would happen if you were to consume that same daily quantity in equal doses at 30 min intervals over the course of the day?
Yes, it was deliberately simplistic. I'm aware of some individual variations in effectiveness of energy storage, rate thereof and even markedly different effects on one's health by overdosing certain types of nutrients. But that doesn't validate any claim by the low-carb brigade. At the most basic and fundamental level, counting calories is the only way to effectively lose weight.

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

Jean Kazez of 'Honestly, I cannot say that I feel the problem of sexism against men looms large... Next thing we'll be finding out that rich people are terribly mistreated too' fame says:
The problem with the sexists in atheist-land is that they cannot imagine that they have their own biases and blindspots. We're super-smart skeptics, right?
yeah.. stupid bitch knows all.. she has overcome her own biases and blindspots.
Sexists in Atheist-Land
Kazez_Poor_Becky.jpg
(78.72 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I am not a certified nutritionist or endocrinologist, so I'll pass the diet talk.

My only experience with calorie-watching was when I was working out. High intakes for mass, low intakes for drying. That's the full extent of my knowledge.

decius

Post by decius »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I am not a certified nutritionist or endocrinologist, so I'll pass the diet talk.

My only experience with calorie-watching was when I was working out. High intakes for mass, low intakes for drying. That's the full extent of my knowledge.
I didn't give a shit about this either until an year or so ago. When I needed to lose weight, I just did it according to evidence-based medicine. Then a friend of mine got all preachy about this Taubes quacky cunt, so I was compelled to look into what scientific scepticism had to say and pass it on to her. It didn't work, but I retained some knowledge.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Harvested about half of this today:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8132 ... 087bfd.jpg
basil by BarnOwl83, on Flickr

It yielded 3.5 cups of pesto, which I make without the Parmesan cheese (so that it can be frozen and used for a variety of recipes). That translates to 24 "ice cubes" of pesto - enough for 30+ meals.

The remaining basil plants will continue to grow until the first frost, which might not occur until December here. There's broccoli next to the basil, and that's pretty cold-tolerant. In fact I can grow and harvest broccoli (and its relatives) pretty much year-round.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

astrokid.nj wrote:Jean Kazez of 'Honestly, I cannot say that I feel the problem of sexism against men looms large... Next thing we'll be finding out that rich people are terribly mistreated too' fame says:
The problem with the sexists in atheist-land is that they cannot imagine that they have their own biases and blindspots. We're super-smart skeptics, right?
Sexists in Atheist-Land
So Kazez says:
If you look at what Watson has been through (if the Slate article isn't enough, look at her page o' hate) and think someone else (like Richard Dawkins) is the real issue, you should be suspicious of your desire to change the subject.
Well, here's some examples of the kind of mail Dawkins receives: http://old.richarddawkins.net/letters/ugly

A few choice excerpts:
Ha ha bitch no u are not an atheist, you are a gay-theist!!! lolol
DONT WORRY I WILL BE BACK, TROLLING YOUR STUPID-ASS WEBSITE!!! HA HA AH AHA AHA HA AHA AH HA
Fuck you, u fucking fucker. What will u think when u are being basted in the broth of God's righteous indignation? I look forward to observing from my post in heaven the exquisite tortures u will suffer at the hands of the just and loving God Whom u have rejected, u fuckity fucker.
But I either way I hope you DO get sodomized by satanic monkies in hell!
You are one of the many Anti-Christs you Satanic dog. Hell is awaiting you, you little Masonic cunt. God will show no mercy.
richie dawkins is a narcassitic little fuck...The only reason he was down in the bible belt was so that he could fuck his twenty year old grad students and he probably does dream about raping Irish farm girls.

Fuck you, cunt boy. The One God will ground you into dust as atheism is always ground to dust.
haha, you fucking dumbass, I hope you get hit by a Church van tonight and you die slowly
I hate your f***ing guts
I hope you die slowly and you fucking burn in hell! You dammed
blasfemy!!! Right now you are rotting on the inside...
you suck.. go burn in hell.. Satan Will Enjoy torturing you.. what happened mum didnt pay enough attention to you so you decided to rebel.. I hope for your own sake you see your grave mistake and repent.. God Dwells among as everyday.. you are the spawn of evil.
Dawkins, you and your atheist friends cannot win. America WILL become a Christian Republic even if we have to write a whole new constitution. Millions of us are dedicated to this righteous cause. We will suceed. And then we will invade godless countries like "Great" Britain and kill all of your heathens. First we need to take care of things at home and in the Middle East but we will get around to Europe. You Godless freaks will die but then you will roast in hell for infinite time. Goodbye you loser.
Disturbing stuff. And doubly so, considering that more than a few of the people seem genuinely mentally unbalanced. And yet, how often do we hear Dawkins take the stage to complain about the 'harassment' he receives? And why must Becky's little problem be so particular? Is it because she's a woman, and some of this 'harassment' involves a wish that she be raped? Of course, it's nasty - but why focus on that when it's clear that pretty much any public atheist (and I'd wager religious figures, politicians, anyone on the public eye, really) is going to attract weirdos and trolls who, for whatever reason, feel a need to talk about the violence - be it sexual or otherwise - they wish to see done to you?

So I would ask, dear Jean, what makes the 'harassment' Becky receives intrinsically worse than what Dawkins receives?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BarnOwl wrote:Harvested about half of this today:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8132 ... 087bfd.jpg
basil by BarnOwl83, on Flickr

It yielded 3.5 cups of pesto, which I make without the Parmesan cheese (so that it can be frozen and used for a variety of recipes). That translates to 24 "ice cubes" of pesto - enough for 30+ meals.

The remaining basil plants will continue to grow until the first frost, which might not occur until December here. There's broccoli next to the basil, and that's pretty cold-tolerant. In fact I can grow and harvest broccoli (and its relatives) pretty much year-round.
How the hell do you do it? I've never managed to keep a basil plant alive, and I live in the perfect climate for them! I guess I don't have a green hand. Also, appartment, no garden...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:
astrokid.nj wrote:Jean Kazez of 'Honestly, I cannot say that I feel the problem of sexism against men looms large... Next thing we'll be finding out that rich people are terribly mistreated too' fame says:
Sexists in Atheist-Land
So Kazez says:
If you look at what Watson has been through (if the Slate article isn't enough, look at her page o' hate) and think someone else (like Richard Dawkins) is the real issue, you should be suspicious of your desire to change the subject.
Well, here's some examples of the kind of mail Dawkins receives: http://old.richarddawkins.net/letters/ugly

A few choice excerpts:
Ha ha bitch no u are not an atheist, you are a gay-theist!!! lolol
DONT WORRY I WILL BE BACK, TROLLING YOUR STUPID-ASS WEBSITE!!! HA HA AH AHA AHA HA AHA AH HA
Fuck you, u fucking fucker. What will u think when u are being basted in the broth of God's righteous indignation? I look forward to observing from my post in heaven the exquisite tortures u will suffer at the hands of the just and loving God Whom u have rejected, u fuckity fucker.
But I either way I hope you DO get sodomized by satanic monkies in hell!
You are one of the many Anti-Christs you Satanic dog. Hell is awaiting you, you little Masonic cunt. God will show no mercy.
richie dawkins is a narcassitic little fuck...The only reason he was down in the bible belt was so that he could fuck his twenty year old grad students and he probably does dream about raping Irish farm girls.

Fuck you, cunt boy. The One God will ground you into dust as atheism is always ground to dust.
haha, you fucking dumbass, I hope you get hit by a Church van tonight and you die slowly
I hate your f***ing guts
I hope you die slowly and you fucking burn in hell! You dammed
blasfemy!!! Right now you are rotting on the inside...
you suck.. go burn in hell.. Satan Will Enjoy torturing you.. what happened mum didnt pay enough attention to you so you decided to rebel.. I hope for your own sake you see your grave mistake and repent.. God Dwells among as everyday.. you are the spawn of evil.
Dawkins, you and your atheist friends cannot win. America WILL become a Christian Republic even if we have to write a whole new constitution. Millions of us are dedicated to this righteous cause. We will suceed. And then we will invade godless countries like "Great" Britain and kill all of your heathens. First we need to take care of things at home and in the Middle East but we will get around to Europe. You Godless freaks will die but then you will roast in hell for infinite time. Goodbye you loser.
Disturbing stuff. And doubly so, considering that more than a few of the people seem genuinely mentally unbalanced. And yet, how often do we hear Dawkins take the stage to complain about the 'harassment' he receives? And why must Becky's little problem be so particular? Is it because she's a woman, and some of this 'harassment' involves a wish that she be raped? Of course, it's nasty - but why focus on that when it's clear that pretty much any public atheist (and I'd wager religious figures, politicians, anyone on the public eye, really) is going to attract weirdos and trolls who, for whatever reason, feel a need to talk about the violence - be it sexual or otherwise - they wish to see done to you?

So I would ask, dear Jean, what makes the 'harassment' Becky receives intrinsically worse than what Dawkins receives?
At the Dublin conference where this all started Rebecca told Dawkins at her 'communicating atheism' panel, that she uses a recording of him reading these sorts of insults and veiled threats, as her ringtone!

So not only does Dawkins get threats but Watson treats them like a big joke!
Can you imagine the reaction to a male atheist saying the exact same thing about HER threats? :o

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Good Lord! One might almost think that the Prune was stalking Justin Vacula:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy wrote:Good Lord! One might almost think that the Prune was stalking Justin Vacula:
Oops: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... attention/

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

It's very interesting to see what Americans consider overweight, or underweight, now that the average American is overweight. The standard definitely does not coincide with those old height/weight/ideal weight charts. It's not uncommon for someone to say that if they got down to their ideal weight that they would look like a cancer victim or prisoner of war.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tigzy wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Good Lord! One might almost think that the Prune was stalking Justin Vacula:
Oops: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... attention/
I liked Justin's post, it was quite well thought out. And it kinda made me realize that I have grown a thicker skin since the instigation of EG. These days, I think I couldn't care less what the usual suspects would say about me. Obviously, I seem to be under their radar, so I'll just have to take offence at generalizations about the Pyt...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: How the hell do you do it? I've never managed to keep a basil plant alive, and I live in the perfect climate for them! I guess I don't have a green hand. Also, appartment, no garden...
My basil patch is about 0.9 meters by 0.3 meters, in a raised bed that's 0.9m by 1.8m. Most of the bed is filled with composted horse manure from my friends' ranch, plus a bit of my own kitchen/yard trimmings compost. That seems to suit the basil quite well. Tomatoes and peppers, OTOH, require the addition of blood meal to the soil - otherwise I get all leaves, and no fruit.

Planting amaranth this year was a big mistake. It produced a lot, but the birds ate all of it, and scattered the seed heads. Now amaranth is popping up all over my yard.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BarnOwl wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: How the hell do you do it? I've never managed to keep a basil plant alive, and I live in the perfect climate for them! I guess I don't have a green hand. Also, appartment, no garden...
My basil patch is about 0.9 meters by 0.3 meters, in a raised bed that's 0.9m by 1.8m. Most of the bed is filled with composted horse manure from my friends' ranch, plus a bit of my own kitchen/yard trimmings compost. That seems to suit the basil quite well. Tomatoes and peppers, OTOH, require the addition of blood meal to the soil - otherwise I get all leaves, and no fruit.

Planting amaranth this year was a big mistake. It produced a lot, but the birds ate all of it, and scattered the seed heads. Now amaranth is popping up all over my yard.
Whatever you do, don't ever plant bamboo. My grandfather made the mistake, and that shit invaded his garden in no time, destroying his pathways and pool tiles. Fucking viral!

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Someone who wanted to talk about my most recent blog post reached out and chatted with me over Skype in preparation for their response and an ongoing discussion. Only if people did this more often...

Post by Guest »

DownThunder wrote:

That isnt true.

Well, first of all, the statement "if your caloric intake is lower than your consumption" is erroneous and should be fixed on Decius' part - to "if your caloric intake is lower than your *expenditure*".

Secondly, you can have the same caloric intake for years with the same expenditure for years (maintaining weight) then hit your 40-50 year range and find this is no longer works due to your metabolism slowing down.

There are *many* factors that go into keeping/maintaining/losing/gaining weight and simple spewing "keep your caloric intake/output even" isn't going to cut it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

justinvacula wrote:Someone who wanted to talk about my most recent blog post reached out and chatted with me over Skype in preparation for their response and an ongoing discussion. Only if people did this more often...
What, communicating like adults, not making false assumptions and accusations? NONSENSE!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:Someone who wanted to talk about my most recent blog post reached out and chatted with me over Skype in preparation for their response and an ongoing discussion. Only if people did this more often...
As I said. Sometimes just need to meet for a drink. So much silliness due to textual misreadings eh?

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

Whatever you do, don't ever plant bamboo. My grandfather made the mistake, and that shit invaded his garden in no time, destroying his pathways and pool tiles. Fucking viral!

You can plant non-invasive clumping Bamboo....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

TheMan wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

Fuck it! Bamboo needs to die! Then we'll get rid of Pandas as well, two birds with one stone. Oh, and Chinese movies acrobatic fight scenes too. Make that three birds. See? All positive.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sorry, it's 2:10am here daylight saving time, and I'm a bit on the piss.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Dilurk wrote:
As I said. Sometimes just need to meet for a drink. So much silliness due to textual misreadings eh?
Yup. I blame the paucity of smileys.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

think you'll find thats standard time old chap

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Still lurking folks. I've enjoyed reading all the posts. would like to contribute more but I'm no academic nor sciency type person. Just a humble video archives researcher. So I tend to consume lots of information and wallow in my life long ambition to be payed to watch TV.

A few comments on Fatness:

Fat: I don't mind the fat jokes...everything is fair game AFAIK in jokes It's the nature of a joke. I'm chubbly. Skinny people say I'm fat and fat people say I'm ok. The partner laughs at my man boobz by saying she wished she kept her training bra I tease her back...we laugh. I tend to have weight swings. 7 years ago I weighed 96kilos these days I weigh around 87kg at one stage in between I weight 83kg. I'm supposed to be around 75kg according to Chinese manufacturers of shopping centre scales which strangely match those weight for height charts in GP clinics seemingly geared for non- southern european folk who love their pasta, fresh bread and preserved meats with mystery white bits. Last time I weighed 75kg I was an amphetamine abuser and ate one meal a day. I can still see my dick when I look down...the barometer of measurement most men adhere to. I do count calories these days..not down to the single calorie but if I have a large lunch i'll have a small meal at dinner time. My work day bacon & egg roll with a flate white (only $7.50) breakfast is a luxury item I account for.

I don't like regimented excersise regimes. I'll maybe ride a bike on weekends, do some yoga once a fornight and a 30 minute brisk walk after a lunch if I have the time and it's not too hot. I'm 50 and not 30 anymore.

I'd rather be a fat happy person than a miserable skinny one.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

mutleyeng wrote:think you'll find thats standard time old chap
Doesn't help; still on the piss.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
TheMan wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

Yeah but how are you going to make bamboo flutes and play tunes that evoke spiritual peace that you can also give as hand made peasant ware gifts at birthdays and religious festivities?

You are denying the world of music and Xmas gift ideas!

Fuck it! Bamboo needs to die! Then we'll get rid of Pandas as well, two birds with one stone. Oh, and Chinese movies acrobatic fight scenes too. Make that three birds. See? All positive.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

I posted within the quoted lines.... that's how small my monitor is. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

TheMan wrote:Still lurking folks. I've enjoyed reading all the posts. would like to contribute more but I'm no academic nor sciency type person. Just a humble video archives researcher. So I tend to consume lots of information and wallow in my life long ambition to be payed to watch TV.

A few comments on Fatness:

Fat: I don't mind the fat jokes...everything is fair game AFAIK in jokes It's the nature of a joke. I'm chubbly. Skinny people say I'm fat and fat people say I'm ok. The partner laughs at my man boobz by saying she wished she kept her training bra I tease her back...we laugh. I tend to have weight swings. 7 years ago I weighed 96kilos these days I weigh around 87kg at one stage in between I weight 83kg. I'm supposed to be around 75kg according to Chinese manufacturers of shopping centre scales which strangely match those weight for height charts in GP clinics seemingly geared for non- southern european folk who love their pasta, fresh bread and preserved meats with mystery white bits. Last time I weighed 75kg I was an amphetamine abuser and ate one meal a day. I can still see my dick when I look down...the barometer of measurement most men adhere to. I do count calories these days..not down to the single calorie but if I have a large lunch i'll have a small meal at dinner time. My work day bacon & egg roll with a flate white (only $7.50) breakfast is a luxury item I account for.

I don't like regimented excersise regimes. I'll maybe ride a bike on weekends, do some yoga once a fornight and a 30 minute brisk walk after a lunch if I have the time and it's not too hot. I'm 50 and not 30 anymore.

I'd rather be a fat happy person than a miserable skinny one.
1.85m, 76kg. Suck it!

Time for bed, right? But I'm listening to Reap and Mykeru. Gonna be a hard monday.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Tigzy wrote:
:)

It's not just the 'harassment', what about actual danger?
Dawkins is the most high profile atheist on earth; he does speaking tours in the red states (home states of die-hard, gun owning Christian funda(mentalists).
The kind of wingnuts he pisses off are exactly the kind of people who would love to do him physical harm. It would after all, to them, completely justifiable, ethical, even.
It may only be a tiny % who would be willing to attack, but that's all it requires.
Sam Harris is another - After 'The End of Faith' he has protection when he appears in public.
Who has even heard of Watson anyway? The pool of nutters who would do real harm to Dawkins is huge, not just a few thousand online geeks ffs.
I'd contrast Becky with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, but it would be ridiculous.
And besides, I go a bit weak at the knee and soft in the head when AHA is mentioned.