Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
WoolyBumblebee

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Neat! Just found out I'm listed here: http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobabi ... n-sexists/

For those who don't want to go to the link:

D.J. Grothe (allegedly covered up alleged sex crimes)
Richard Dawkins (Dear Muslima…)
Sam Harris (rape apologist)
Christopher Hitchens (sexist warmonger)
Daniel Dennett (part of the problem)
Abbie Smith (obvious reasons)
Justin Griffith (briefly supported Abbie)
Harriet Hall (wears misogynist t-shirts)
Justin Vacula (vacuous shitbag troll)
Sara Mayhew (shoe-obsessed chill girl)
Jeremy Stangroom (misogynist asshole)
Franc Hoggle (misogynist asshole)
Tony Ryan (misogynist asshole)
Russel Blackford (hyperskeptic)
Paula Kirby (convicted violator of Godwin’s Law)
Michael Payton (convicted MRA)
Michael Shermer (jokes about ladyparts, admitted libertarian)
Mallorie Nasrallah (self-confessed chill girl)
Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)
Maria Maltseva (gaslighted Greg Laden)
Ed Clint (opposed the status quo)
John Loftus (opposed the status quo)
Kristina Hansen (mind-searingly vicious bully)
Al Stefanelli (guilt by association)
Damion Reinhardt (guilt by association)
Stephen Andrew (bitching and tarting)
Renee Hendricks (wheezing misogynist)
Stef McGraw (misogynist parrot)
Miranda Celeste Hale (sister punisher)

Damn! I was really hoping for "sister punisher" or "chill girl".
I accept my new title with glee!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

WoolyBumblebee wrote: Kristina Hansen (mind-searingly vicious bully)

You're soooooooo vicious ;)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

lost control wrote:
sacha wrote:I'll mention your well wishes to MKG.
Thanks! She's still quickly getting tired and we gotta do everything relaxed and slowly, but she's doing good so far. It's great that I can be there for her for two weeks.

@Renee: best wishes for your partner, too.

@Tigzy (iirc): same for your father.
Thanks. He's had his last bout of chemo today, as it happens, so fingers crossed.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jason Thimbledoo wrote:When I was young, I was bullied. A lot. Maybe not more than other kids who’ve been bullied, but I was definitely the target of my grade for many years running in my tiny grade school and middle school.
I'm very pleased to hear it, you horrible little man. I have little doubt it was a well-earned bullying, if you were anything you are like now.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Don't forget mind-searingly :o :lol:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigzy wrote:
Jason Thimbledoo wrote:When I was young, I was bullied. A lot. Maybe not more than other kids who’ve been bullied, but I was definitely the target of my grade for many years running in my tiny grade school and middle school.
I'm very pleased to hear it, you horrible little man. I have little doubt it was a well-earned bullying, if you were anything you are like now.
Seriously? I've got a whole bag of "wah - buck up, little cowboy" over here. I spent a good portion of my childhood having kids tease me and call me "Runny" due to having a cleft lip scar. Big fucking deal. What is it with some of these FfTBers? Life can deal you some crappy shit. You deal with it and move on. And you certainly don't try to compare that stupid-assed crap to what Greg Laden has been doing. Greg is a smarmy, slimy, creepy piece of work. Period.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

I always imagine beef sizzling for some reason with that phrase LOL

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Neat! Just found out I'm listed here: http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobabi ... n-sexists/

Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)

Does this get updated regularly? If so, can I get coaching on how to be included next time?
I know that I'm late to the party and everything but I''m willing to take instruction and work hard.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Seriously? I've got a whole bag of "wah - buck up, little cowboy" over here. I spent a good portion of my childhood having kids tease me and call me "Runny" due to having a cleft lip scar. Big fucking deal. What is it with some of these FfTBers? Life can deal you some crappy shit. You deal with it and move on. And you certainly don't try to compare that stupid-assed crap to what Greg Laden has been doing. Greg is a smarmy, slimy, creepy piece of work. Period.
Yup. I got bullied at one point too. Being a hairy git, I was the first kid in school to get pubes, so you can imagine what it was like for me in the showers after sports. 'Jew-fro cock', 'wiggy' and all that.

Thing is, I reckon most kids were bullied at some point or another in school. This is not to say that it's a good thing, nor do I accept any of that 'character-building' rubbish. Im pretty sure we'd all prefer an ideal world where bullying doesn't happen. However, reality decrees otherwise, and we occasonally have to deal with it. One thing that is important to understand about bullying is that it doesn't make you magically immune to being a bully yourself, no matter how empathic and sensitive you might feel about out the subject. Nor does it make you an authority on what actually constitues bullying, nor even immune to having friends who are bullies too. Thimbledoo, take note.

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

Ed '2-cows-only' Brayton is not impressed by Al's vid, and is joining the battle.
It Appears I’ve Started An ‘Atheist Cult’
Sometimes I like peace and quiet. Sometimes I’d like to see the drama subside. But if the battle is against this monumentally stupid notion that feminists hate straight white men, and it appears that it largely is, consider the battle joined. I’m not disappointed that FTB is often the scene of controversy; I am disappointed that we still have leaders in the atheist community pushing the same twisted vision of feminists favored by the Pat Robertsons of the world.
It seems that, according to Al, I have unwittingly launched an “atheist cult” of “radical extremists” who are “giving a bad name” to “real feminists.” PZ, Jen, Ophelia, Stephanie, Rebecca and others, Al says, “appear to have an incredibly unhealthy vendetta against men in general, and as it appears, the entire Caucasian race as well.” This is not a straw man, it’s an entire straw universe, a bizarro world remarkably similar to the one inhabited by the religious right, where any challenge to their privilege is terrible persecution from “feminazis” and other unsavory types.
Also.. will the "real" feminists please stand up, please stand up? LOL I just love this stuff.. "No.. they arent the real feminists.. nor the ones over there.. we are the real ones". I have seen this on so many websites that I just love it now. Sure.. this may just be a part of human nature, but it sure is funny as hell.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigzy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Yup. I got bullied at one point too. Being a hairy git, I was the first kid in school to get pubes, so you can imagine what it was like for me in the showers after sports. 'Jew-fro cock', 'wiggy' and all that.

Thing is, I reckon most kids were bullied at some point or another in school. This is not to say that it's a good thing, nor do I accept any of that 'character-building' rubbish. Im pretty sure we'd all prefer an ideal world where bullying doesn't happen. However, reality decrees otherwise, and we occasonally have to deal with it. One thing that is important to understand about bullying is that it doesn't make you magically immune to being a bully yourself, no matter how empathic and sensitive you might feel about out the subject. Nor does it make you an authority on what actually constitues bullying, nor even immune to having friends who are bullies too. Thimbledoo, take note.
Exactly. I suppose I'm just tired of the same ol' crap being peddled out about how so-and-so was/is being bullied when in reality it's nothing more than characters on a computer screen. As Al Stefanelli has said, you can turn off your computer and walk away. It's as simple as that.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)

F*ck! I'm not on the list yet! Have to try harder. :shock:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Oh, wow. Ok, against my better judgment, I read one of PZ's latest verbal barfings. Apparently he hasn't a clue how the fuck child support works. It's not on 1 parent to foot the entire bill of the child. It's supposed to be halved. So, he thinks $5150/year is the womenz being "robbed". Fucking idiot.
These numbers do not add up. A redditor is claiming that women are after men’s precious bodily fluids, because the average annual child support payment is $5,150. “Be careful with your sperm. Your very freedom is at stake,” he says.

But this makes no sense. What woman would steal sperm to get impregnated for a lousy $5000/year payout? That’s nowhere near what it costs to raise a child, not counting the costs in time and worry and all the responsibilities of taking care of the little pain-in-the-butt. Yet somehow, all this guy sees in women is venality — that they’ve got a way of milking $5K/year out of him, as if having sex with him is like buying a lottery ticket for her.

I had no idea that child support costs were so low, though. Women, you are being robbed by this system. Don’t you wish you could just have a baby, then pay up a measly $5000/year to greet a well-adjusted, mature, interesting young adult 18 years later?

Also, warning: be careful with his sperm. Pregnancy is just the start of a lifetime of servitude for you, and you should only do it willingly and with some appreciation for the non-monetary rewards.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gefan wrote:Whilst not wishing to further abuse everyone's eyeballs, the following picture has been brought to my attention:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... rriage.jpg

It appears to be the Stephalump making googly eyes at what is either a catastrophically drunk Brian Posehn, or a semi-shaved (and possibly equally inebriated) Orangutan.
Does Greg Laden know about this?
Regardless, it must be said that both Stephalump and Orangutan are at least on the right side of history about something.
Way to fight gender stereotypes by wearing pink, Stephalump!

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gefan wrote:Whilst not wishing to further abuse everyone's eyeballs, the following picture has been brought to my attention:

It appears to be the Stephalump making googly eyes at what is either a catastrophically drunk Brian Posehn, or a semi-shaved (and possibly equally inebriated) Orangutan.
Regardless, it must be said that both Stephalump and Orangutan are at least on the right side of history about something.
Way to fight gender stereotypes by wearing pink, Stephalump!
Well, perhaps I am of the last workforce cohorts to take John T. Molloy to heart, but I think hubby there is committing the greater crime against fashion. Ties should *always* be darker than the shirt.

:twocents-02cents:

Post by Guest »

Reap wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Reap wrote:
Outwest wrote:
Reap wrote:Who the fuck is Adam Lee and why does he think it's his fucking job to tell me what I can and can not say? WTF?!
Is this guy out of his fucking mind? REALLY? How fucking egotistical I wonder if he tells everyone around him what they can/can't say. Fucking Amazing Shit
I haven't been on here in a bit, and I'm not going to go back and read multiple pages so would you provide some context here?
Just read my twitter and watch Al's latest video. BAM! you are in the loop. This Adam guy popped outta nowhere He's a nobody to me
He's decided to try another tack, Reap. Here is where we are at this very moment.

http://www.alstefanelli.com/ALee2.jpg

Yea and I did post that reply because Stephanie gets zero respect from me and Adam is at the same level with his bullshit. He wants to judge me a misogynist because I don't like Stephanie Zvan ? Fuck him. He is an idiot and since he wants to try and trash me w/o a valid reason I will respond in a manner fitting to his behavior and then some. Fucking little dickhead
Apparently, he is the current, up and coming Militant Angel of FtB/A+ Righteousness working overtime in an effort to prove He Is Worthy of FTB support and adulation. Used to be a blogger I followed until he published that A+ propaganda on Salon. There were earlier signs that he had gone over to the Dark Side, but that one sealed the deal. I notice that he doesn't promote A+ directly since FtB has started backing away from it, so he is following their lead closely.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

codelette wrote:Yeah, she tends to write a lot of stupid shit. Google her "feminist wedding" articles (I believe they were published by The Guardian). Basically, she's saying that they were sad that same-sex couples couldn't get married but that she'll remind wedding guests to donate money to XYZ cause. Later, she complained about wearing a white dress...so she got a gray one. Posted the same stupid babble about lastnames. And some other shit about her dad walking her down the aisle. It was funny to read the feminist aftermath of the wedding announcement at the Socialité section of The NYT.
Back in my radfem days, we would have mocked her silly for even getting married, much less worry about white for virginity and last name issues. REAL (according to us back then) feminists would never get into a hetero relationship, and especially not marriage. Patriarchy, we'd have yelled, patriarchy! How can you be a wife and a feminist at the same time! Mutiny.

I'm glad I left that bunch of raving lunatics. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gefan wrote:

Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)

Does this get updated regularly? If so, can I get coaching on how to be included next time?
I know that I'm late to the party and everything but I''m willing to take instruction and work hard.
Nope. The list maker is only accepting real sounding names, even obvious pseudonyms (Franc Hoggle) as long as they look like real names. So, my name is not on there, and I'll assume yours won't be allowed either.
comslave wrote:F*ck! I'm not on the list yet! Have to try harder. :shock:
You won't make the list either. Damion only wants real sounding names on the list.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Oh great! Now you want to paint me as a cow murderer too? Why don't we just burn me at the steak... I mean stake.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Gefan wrote:

Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)

Hey! I'm not on here! Quick tell Adam cause I give a shit...........oh wait nevermind, I don't.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Exactly. I suppose I'm just tired of the same ol' crap being peddled out about how so-and-so was/is being bullied when in reality it's nothing more than characters on a computer screen. As Al Stefanelli has said, you can turn off your computer and walk away. It's as simple as that.
No, see, they have the RIGHT to be on-line anytime, anywhere, and they expect not to be 'bullied' ever! Telling them to get off the computer for a while is evil and bulling behavior. We have to respect them so their precious little feewings never get hurted. So everyone else needs to conform to their ideal world and fucking shut up! Sheish! I thought you knew that... Silly woman!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6412 ... dbb946.png

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, wow. Ok, against my better judgment, I read one of PZ's latest verbal barfings. Apparently he hasn't a clue how the fuck child support works. It's not on 1 parent to foot the entire bill of the child. It's supposed to be halved. So, he thinks $5150/year is the womenz being "robbed". Fucking idiot.
These numbers do not add up. A redditor is claiming that women are after men’s precious bodily fluids, because the average annual child support payment is $5,150. “Be careful with your sperm. Your very freedom is at stake,” he says.

But this makes no sense. What woman would steal sperm to get impregnated for a lousy $5000/year payout? That’s nowhere near what it costs to raise a child, not counting the costs in time and worry and all the responsibilities of taking care of the little pain-in-the-butt. Yet somehow, all this guy sees in women is venality — that they’ve got a way of milking $5K/year out of him, as if having sex with him is like buying a lottery ticket for her.

I had no idea that child support costs were so low, though. Women, you are being robbed by this system. Don’t you wish you could just have a baby, then pay up a measly $5000/year to greet a well-adjusted, mature, interesting young adult 18 years later?

Also, warning: be careful with his sperm. Pregnancy is just the start of a lifetime of servitude for you, and you should only do it willingly and with some appreciation for the non-monetary rewards.
That man is delusional! WTF?! He has no clue what the child support system is like, and how they calculate the payments. Not to mention the man is not supposed to foot the whole fucking bill for raising the child. What a fucking moron!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Oh great! Now you want to paint me as a cow murderer too? Why don't we just burn me at the steak... I mean stake.
At least you'll get Ed "only-2-cows" Brayton's seal of approval...

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)

I am sure he will update the list from time to time. I am listed as 'guilt by association,' but that has now been upgraded to 'misogynist, rape apologist, potential rapist, potential murderer of wimminz, racist and homophobe.'

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ha-haaaa - the Sick Wench of Doom has at last got round to writing an Amazon review for Greg's book:
The beginning of the first edition of Sungudogo is a bit rough, though I hear there's a second edition coming. Once Pat joins the team, however, the novel has found its purpose and it doesn't waver. From then, it's a buddy comedy/not exactly romance/African adventure all rolled into one and set at speed toward an ending that has to be read to be believed. Or disbelieved, as the case may be.

This is a short, fun, freaky romp that will take you places you almost certainly haven't been. Greg Laden has, however, and you'll feel like he's carried you along. Check it out.
I don't know if it's just me, but I get the feeling she puked up in her mouth a little while writing that.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

astrokid.nj wrote:Ed '2-cows-only' Brayton is not impressed by Al's vid, and is joining the battle.
I have no doubt he was spurred into action by that vacuous turnip nonstampcollector

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

astrokid.nj wrote:Ed '2-cows-only' Brayton is not impressed by Al's vid, and is joining the battle.
Sometimes I like peace and quiet. Sometimes I’d like to see the drama subside. But if the battle is against this monumentally stupid notion that feminists hate straight white men, and it appears that it largely is, consider the battle joined. I’m not disappointed that FTB is often the scene of controversy; I am disappointed that we still have leaders in the atheist community pushing the same twisted vision of feminists favored by the Pat Robertsons of the world.
It seems that, according to Al, I have unwittingly launched an “atheist cult” of “radical extremists” who are “giving a bad name” to “real feminists.” PZ, Jen, Ophelia, Stephanie, Rebecca and others, Al says, “appear to have an incredibly unhealthy vendetta against men in general, and as it appears, the entire Caucasian race as well.” This is not a straw man, it’s an entire straw universe, a bizarro world remarkably similar to the one inhabited by the religious right, where any challenge to their privilege is terrible persecution from “feminazis” and other unsavory types.
Also.. will the "real" feminists please stand up, please stand up? LOL I just love this stuff.. "No.. they arent the real feminists.. nor the ones over there.. we are the real ones". I have seen this on so many websites that I just love it now. Sure.. this may just be a part of human nature, but it sure is funny as hell.
Actually, I never said he launched an 'atheist cult,' which tells me he didn't bother to even watch the video. In fact, I stated the opposite, that I rather like Ol' Ed and kinda feel bad for him that a few of his bloggers are sullying what he has spent so much of his time and energy, as well as personal resources, developing.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, wow. Ok, against my better judgment, I read one of PZ's latest verbal barfings. Apparently he hasn't a clue how the fuck child support works. It's not on 1 parent to foot the entire bill of the child. It's supposed to be halved. So, he thinks $5150/year is the womenz being "robbed". Fucking idiot.

. Pregnancy is just the start of a lifetime of servitude for you, and you should only do it willingly and with some appreciation for the non-monetary rewards.
Trying to be funny, or revealing what he thinks of his kids, and his trophy wife?

PZ really seems to be turning into a really, really bitter man, to all appearances. Sad.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Actually, I never said he launched an 'atheist cult,' which tells me he didn't bother to even watch the video. In fact, I stated the opposite, that I rather like Ol' Ed and kinda feel bad for him that a few of his bloggers are sullying what he has spent so much of his time and energy, as well as personal resources, developing.
They're not real big on that whole "looking at the evidence" thing, so "looking at what somebody actually wrote/recorded/etc" is a bit beyond them. Why let reality spoil the narrative?

Anon

Post by Anon »

Ok, I just found out about this whole A+ thing and like WTF. What is wrong with these people. I read a few topics on their website and they just seem angry at everything. One post was clearly from someone who was trying to figure out the whole gender/sex/wordsA+seemstohavemadeup. After a few posts they said something like "ok so sex is about X and Y chromosones and gender is about how you feel". This seems to have unleshed a shitstorm. It can't really describe it but I'm sure most of you have an idea.

Then the OP was being repremanded when they told everyone to stop raving and explain things calmly. You know so they can actaully understand the difference between the words. Apprently this means the OP was trying to tone police. Ok I have a really big problem with all this. First of almost its almost 2013. Using a tone on the internet you wouldnt use in real life is so 90's. Second the OP had no power to tone police. They dont control the site. They can't ban members. They have no means to do what they are accused of.

My last point has to do with how "privilleged" and ablist they seem to be mby their won definitions. They clearly were never verbally harrassed as children the way I was. I was abused physically as well but not to the same extent. I've been in the hospital twice for my condition, I've had psychotherapy but I'm still not "normal". Before I got treatment posts like those could really set me off. Its not the topic at all that matters its just all the yelling. I had to stop reading most of the chat in online games because of this. Its more the idea that someone is attacking me that sets it off.

I know that my case is fairly mild compared to some people I've met in hospitals. There are people with much worse mental health issues. They also seem to hate David Mabus over there. They also claim he is mentally ill. Ok, then they're disabled bashing. From what I've seen of Mabus' posts if he believes this and is mentally ill then harassing him is just plain wrong. They're only making it worse for him. Why aren't they trying to help with guy?

Sorry if this wasnt very well planned out. I was just going to write a few points but then kept thinking of more.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Okay - so Black Zvan writes a post insinuating that Greg is traumatised, or something, by the 'harassment' he's been getting. PTSD is mentioned, thus also insinuating that Greg has, er, PTSD. Or something.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... t-in-ptsd/

So Zvan's position is that Greg is justified in attempting to trigger PTSD in Justin Griffiths (according to Justin Griffith's claim - after all, Greg's intent could surely not be magic, right Stef?) because he's, er...also suffering from PTSD? I mean, what's the poisonous fat slob getting at here, exactly?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:No, see, they have the RIGHT to be on-line anytime, anywhere, and they expect not to be 'bullied' ever! Telling them to get off the computer for a while is evil and bulling behavior. We have to respect them so their precious little feewings never get hurted. So everyone else needs to conform to their ideal world and fucking shut up! Sheish! I thought you knew that... Silly woman!
Except when Jenny the feminist sobs over internet words and get's ORDERED off the internet by her boyfriend. Not that she's under his thumb or every command, but still, what a brave, independent, self-directed feminist! :)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:

That man is delusional! WTF?! He has no clue what the child support system is like, and how they calculate the payments. Not to mention the man is not supposed to foot the whole fucking bill for raising the child. What a fucking moron!
No clue AT ALL. That number he puts out comes out to be $429/month. Now, had he been a *thinking* person, he'd realize that should be $860/month FROM BOTH SIDES. But he doesn't. And he clearly doesn't take into account these things are often done on a sliding scale due to one parent making more than another. More than this...just reading his posts and subsequent comments, he acts as though the mother should just not work or contribute at all. It's all on the guy. What feminist hubris!

codelette

Post by codelette »

Scented Nectar wrote:
codelette wrote:Yeah, she tends to write a lot of stupid shit. Google her "feminist wedding" articles (I believe they were published by The Guardian). Basically, she's saying that they were sad that same-sex couples couldn't get married but that she'll remind wedding guests to donate money to XYZ cause. Later, she complained about wearing a white dress...so she got a gray one. Posted the same stupid babble about lastnames. And some other shit about her dad walking her down the aisle. It was funny to read the feminist aftermath of the wedding announcement at the Socialité section of The NYT.
Back in my radfem days, we would have mocked her silly for even getting married, much less worry about white for virginity and last name issues. REAL (according to us back then) feminists would never get into a hetero relationship, and especially not marriage. Patriarchy, we'd have yelled, patriarchy! How can you be a wife and a feminist at the same time! Mutiny.

I'm glad I left that bunch of raving lunatics. :)
Mocking her stupid babble is mostly based on all her apologetics cause she was getting married. She basically just did a whole bunch of stuff that people do when they get married and decided that it was "feminist". Not changing lastnames is part of Hispanics cultures. A whole bunch of people don't get diamonds because they cannot afford it. And nowadays, brides get married in whatever color they see fit.

codelette

Post by codelette »

Scented Nectar wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:No, see, they have the RIGHT to be on-line anytime, anywhere, and they expect not to be 'bullied' ever! Telling them to get off the computer for a while is evil and bulling behavior. We have to respect them so their precious little feewings never get hurted. So everyone else needs to conform to their ideal world and fucking shut up! Sheish! I thought you knew that... Silly woman!
Except when Jenny the feminist sobs over internet words and get's ORDERED off the internet by her boyfriend. Not that she's under his thumb or every command, but still, what a brave, independent, self-directed feminist! :)
http://whitemaleoppressor.files.wordpre ... tional.jpg

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Badger3k wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
They're not real big on that whole "looking at the evidence" thing, so "looking at what somebody actually wrote/recorded/etc" is a bit beyond them. Why let reality spoil the narrative?
Just so it doesn't disappear down the memory hole (and I'd like to think Ed Brayton is above that), here's my comment on his blog, which has been published:
"No, Ed. I don't think you've launched an atheist cult. I stand by my comments that I made to you when FtB first started out. I think the concept of FtB was fucking brilliant, and you've got many shining stars on your network - bloggers I still read every day. Don't forget, I know the amount of effort and energy you've put into this place, and it saddens me that a few are costing you readers.

When I left FtB all I asked was to be left alone, and I would do the same. I was perfectly content with moving on with my old blog, making the occasional video and writing news stories. That ended when three or four of your bloggers here decided it would be a good idea to start fucking with me, which I even let go for a while, figuring it would pass.

But no, they couldn't leave well enough alone. Particularly PZ, with his oh-so-happy farewell video he posted on his blog, followed by further attacks on me for the simple reason that I was friends with people they did not like.

Some of your people here continue to engage in childish behavior, which includes the utterly ridiculous notion that I am a racist, homophobe, rape apologist or whatever, I will be compelled to defend my spotless record of civil rights activism.

It appears the only 'crime' I committed was to disagree, and to write about it on your network. I did not ask for this, nor did I instigate it."

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:Okay - so Black Zvan writes a post insinuating that Greg is traumatised, or something, by the 'harassment' he's been getting. PTSD is mentioned, thus also insinuating that Greg has, er, PTSD. Or something.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... t-in-ptsd/

So Zvan's position is that Greg is justified in attempting to trigger PTSD in Justin Griffiths (according to Justin Griffith's claim - after all, Greg's intent could surely not be magic, right Stef?) because he's, er...also suffering from PTSD? I mean, what's the poisonous fat slob getting at here, exactly?
From what I read, yeah, that's what she's doing. Beyond despicable. This is horribly, horribly wrong in at least three ways:

1) Intentionally devaluing someone's very serious mental health problem in order to leave him more open to PTSD-triggering attacks by people who might otherwise abstain because of empathy.

2) Making a complete mockery of and trivializing a serious (and potentially catastrophic) mental health issue by excusing someone's shitty behavior by falsely assigning said condition to someone who obviously is not suffering from it.

3) Resorting to behavior that they would fly into an absolute foam-spewing fury about if anyone else did it to them.

If I signed up for Jen McCreight's abortion A+, and tried anything like that there, or at an FTB comment thread, I would be raked over the coals, with the other members flinging every overused A+/FTB cliche/insult at me. And in this instance, they would be perfectly right to do so. But of course, these fuckers don't have to follow their own commandments that they try to foist on everyone else.

I wish I could say I'm shocked at the hypocrisy, but sadly...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Good comment, Al. It will be interesting to see Ed's response, if he chooses to reply.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Anon wrote:Then the OP was being repremanded when they told everyone to stop raving and explain things calmly. You know so they can actaully understand the difference between the words. Apprently this means the OP was trying to tone police. Ok I have a really big problem with all this. First of almost its almost 2013. Using a tone on the internet you wouldnt use in real life is so 90's. Second the OP had no power to tone police. They dont control the site. They can't ban members. They have no means to do what they are accused of.
I used to enjoy snark, but if violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, snark is the first refuge of the Internet. And so when I see snark with no logic behind it, no compassion behind it, nothing but hollow echoes behind it, I turn against the person providing the snark.

The "tone police" argument is a feminist tactic used to defend bullying, aggressive, overwrought, silencing commenting behavior. It's used to defend terrible behavior that would not fly in real life and does nothing to promote discussion on the Internet. It's used to defend claims of victimhood and deflect the requirements of evidence. We are victims, we are passionate, we will not be oppressed again, of course we are angry, and you are just making a tone argument.

It's just nonsense.

cunt

Post by cunt »

He replied already. Making out that the word that offended Steph so much was "cunt" rather than "bitch". So PZ was justified in calling Reap a racist.

What?!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Also screaming it into the microphone. Something tells me that Ed didn't bother listening to that podcast.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It’s the time of year when we remember those whom we lost. In this spirit, my thoughts wander to the birth and death of a Movement that, in August this year, suddenly arose from the barren wastes of FreeThoughtBlogs like an apparition. A Movement whose almost equally sudden demise may have been hastened by someone’s attempt to strangle it - unwittingly! - with its umbilical cord. To this day, a few grief-stricken souls are convinced that the Movement is still alive and cling to the rags it has left behind like children to their favourite toys. They sincerely believe that the recent burial, on a bleak winter’s day, has been premature. I am referring, of course, to Atheism Plus. R.I.P.

http://i.imgur.com/K95og.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

cunt wrote:Also screaming it into the microphone. Something tells me that Ed didn't bother listening to that podcast.
And of course, his voice was vibrating with rage. Honestly, if they didn't have hilariously untrue demonization of those who don't like them, they'd have nothing.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:To this day, a few grief-stricken souls are convinced that the Movement is still alive and cling to the rags it has left behind like children to their favourite toys.[/img]
Like in books or movies where souls are destined to wander aimlessly forever because they don't yet realize they are dead, or they can't accept it and move on. Very Sixth-Sensey.

welch

Post by welch »

Phil Mason (AHP skeptic)

At least you made the list :-P

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Although Ed Brayton might be a nice guy, he has vlearly been drinking from the same punchbowl lately as a few of the others.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

And maybe me too... "clearly".

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

My general take on PZ's latest dumbassery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmaEfXCmT0 (figured I'd let you go to it if you want and not force you to view it here, yeah, I'm nice like that sometimes).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Outwest wrote:And maybe me too... "clearly".
Here - have some candy cane vodka on me:

http://www.nightclub.com/files/ncb/uplo ... 20cane.png

'Course, the bottle is kinda empty as it's the holidays and damn it...it's good stuff...so drink quick!! :D

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-haaaa - the Sick Wench of Doom has at last got round to writing an Amazon review for Greg's book:
The beginning of the first edition of Sungudogo is a bit rough, though I hear there's a second edition coming. Once Pat joins the team, however, the novel has found its purpose and it doesn't waver. From then, it's a buddy comedy/not exactly romance/African adventure all rolled into one and set at speed toward an ending that has to be read to be believed. Or disbelieved, as the case may be.

This is a short, fun, freaky romp that will take you places you almost certainly haven't been. Greg Laden has, however, and you'll feel like he's carried you along. Check it out.
I don't know if it's just me, but I get the feeling she puked up in her mouth a little while writing that.
It's her own fault. Laden ALWAYS lies about not coming in her mouth.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Damn. That pic was way bigger than I had originally hoped for. Life-sized :D

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Outwest wrote:And maybe me too... "clearly".
Here - have some candy cane vodka on me:

*snip*

'Course, the bottle is kinda empty as it's the holidays and damn it...it's good stuff...so drink quick!! :D
I see just enough in there for a shot!

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:My general take on PZ's latest dumbassery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmaEfXCmT0 (figured I'd let you go to it if you want and not force you to view it here, yeah, I'm nice like that sometimes).
That was a nice rant about complete fuckwittery of some people. What I was trying to say on twitter, and failing I think, is that $429/mo would not necessarily pay for multiple childern in the home. I have one, and based on my salary, I pay close to $600. And then I pay all her medical/dental, plus before/after school care ($100/week).

They also have some strange laws here concerning "other children in the home". Meaning, maybe your new spose, SO, whatever has a child or two living there as well. I have a friend that not only pays for his 2 girls, but a "little" extra because his ex has 2 more children by her current husband.

Walter Ego

Mums The Word!

Post by Walter Ego »

Reap wrote:Here's The Angry Atheist podcast w/ Walter Ego so you can check it out if you would like to do so.
http://angryatheist.info/?p=989
Thanks for giving me my fifty-eight minutes of internet notoriety. Thanks also allowing me to doc drop myself and for including the bit where I mention I peed down the pant leg of my PJ's in the bathroom just before you began recording.

And, last but not least, mucho thanks for not including the bit where I talked about my nefarious scheme to control the world atheist/skeptic community in league with my soon to be life partner EllenBeth, aka the Cat Lady. (April nuptials, plenty of time to choose a gift!)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Outwest wrote:Although Ed Brayton might be a nice guy, he has vlearly been drinking from the same punchbowl lately as a few of the others.
Normally he tries to stay out of this mess, whatever his feelings may be. But lately his entire blog network has taken a huge PR and credibility hit because of the actions of his FTB co-founder and business partner PZ, and PZ's main stooge bloggers Zvan, Benson and Thibeault. He may have felt it necessary to make a public stand in his network's defense; unfortunately he chose the side of the guy he's business partners with over the side of reality. How he can not see how blatantly PZ et. al. twist and misconstrue logic, reason and truth is beyond me. Or maybe he does and he's just trying to save his network without pissing off PZ. Dunno.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Outwest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:My general take on PZ's latest dumbassery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmaEfXCmT0 (figured I'd let you go to it if you want and not force you to view it here, yeah, I'm nice like that sometimes).
That was a nice rant about complete fuckwittery of some people. What I was trying to say on twitter, and failing I think, is that $429/mo would not necessarily pay for multiple childern in the home. I have one, and based on my salary, I pay close to $600. And then I pay all her medical/dental, plus before/after school care ($100/week).

They also have some strange laws here concerning "other children in the home". Meaning, maybe your new spose, SO, whatever has a child or two living there as well. I have a friend that not only pays for his 2 girls, but a "little" extra because his ex has 2 more children by her current husband.
This is just astronomical to me. My ex pays $700 for 2 kids aged 13 and 15. He makes rather decent money but has an addiction problem (gambling). My other child doesn't even factor in and I wouldn't want her to. That all being said, I think that $429/month is across the nation and is for 1 child. I could be totally wrong. Personally, I think it should be mandatory to sit down and figure out the actual expenses, look at the incomes of both parents, and do the split on that and nothing else. Honestly, things like phone, Internet access, and many other extras should never come into play.

My whole issue is that PZ clearly has no clue that the number he put out is supposed to represent *1/2* of the cost of raising a child (whether or not that number is accurate). He blithely goes on as if the woman shouldn't be working and should be all up in arms over not having the *entire* amount paid out by the man. It's fucking irritating.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
Remick wrote: Google has always been that. Just because most people can't be bothered to pay attention, is hardly google's fault. From the start, they sold search info to companies. They still sell "you" to companies, but it is generic, anonymous "you".
It can also be set to not store search results and other sensitive information. As you say, people can't be bothered to learn how things work.
Google privacy settings, like Facebook, and really, any free social service's apply to other people. They don't apply to the service itself, and they don't apply to the real customers, namely advertisers. If you aren't paying, you're being sold, and I'd not be too comfortable with the anonimizing shit, barring google et al opening the doors up a lot more.

Given that's google's only reliable income stream, don't hold your breath.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Renee, don't you dare contradict PZ when the topic is women. Why, he's been a retroactive ardent feminist since he was 15! Just ask his Trophy Wife!

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
Outwest wrote:Although Ed Brayton might be a nice guy, he has vlearly been drinking from the same punchbowl lately as a few of the others.
Normally he tries to stay out of this mess, whatever his feelings may be. But lately his entire blog network has taken a huge PR and credibility hit because of the actions of his FTB co-founder and business partner PZ, and PZ's main stooge bloggers Zvan, Benson and Thibeault. He may have felt it necessary to make a public stand in his network's defense; unfortunately he chose the side of the guy he's business partners with over the side of reality. How he can not see how blatantly PZ et. al. twist and misconstrue logic, reason and truth is beyond me. Or maybe he does and he's just trying to save his network without pissing off PZ. Dunno.
PZ's the only one getting the kinds of hits that make FTB any money. Of course he'll kiss PZ's ass.