Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Mr Danksworth

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I recall seeing some sort of infographic on male to female ratios at TAM over the years showing the drop of female attemdace in 2012. Can someone point me in the right direction. I can't find it for the lofe of me. Thanks in advance.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

mutleyeng wrote:judging by the racket outside, its now proper UTC new year
It's barely 7:30pm here, and the fireworks have been going off since....no. Actually, they started last night at midnight.

Makes me wonder if I would be Ok with fireworks if it weren't for my explosions-related PTSD. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 69a7bb.gif Have friends asking me to come out, but staying in and self-medicating with Jack Daniel's sounds like more fun at the moment....

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ophelia makes the death of the woman who was raped and skewered all about her:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... mans-body/

She's never going to feel complete until she has a truly horrible experience of her own to share at SJW pity parties.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Happy New Year to all my fellow pitters!

:character-beavisbutthead:
Thanks hun. It won't be the new year here for some hours now.

Happy New Year's Eve
to the rest of you.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Crossposting this quote, because I see that this is the active part of the forum, and because I think it is relevant to the discussion at hand:

"The first is the collection of authoritarian behaviours that many of us refer to as Stalinism, arising again and again within our ranks like poisonous mushrooms. Most of us on the Left think we’ve learned those lessons by now, but we seem incapable of abolishing the tendency and preventing its destructive effects within our own ranks. So we divide, and we divide again, and by doing so we give in to those who favour shrieking denunciations over authentic engagement. We seem to insist on weakening ourselves. Ally after ally is pared away because of insufficient obeisance to doctrine, the latter all too often conflated with personal quirks and idiosyncrasies. Mere disagreement can get one banned, shunned and/or publicly reviled and lied about. " (from a blogger I admire)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

franc wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:Satire is quite an effective messaging tool. Much like how Jon Stewart's The Daily Show and The Colbert Report rip a new one out of Fox News on a regular basis. The Slymepit already uses a lot of satire (Jan Steen's work, for instance). The use of satire can be used to thwart FTB/A+ memes, dogmas and newspeak.
Quote that bears repeating -

"How much truth is contained in something can be best determined by making it thoroughly laughable and then watching to see how much joking around it can take. For truth is a matter that can withstand mockery, that is freshened by any ironic gesture directed at it. Whatever cannot withstand satire is false." -- Peter Sloterdijk
I just posted that Sloterdijk quote in Greta Christina's thread at FtB here asking people to report the "Ophelia Benson" twitter accounts. Which, of course, Greta feels certain are by some "misogynist, anti-feminist asshole" who is part of "the campaign of harassment against feminist women on the Internet in general and in the atheosphere in particular".

Altair

Post by Altair »

It's finally night over here, so Happy New Year to everyone in the pit!
For those of you who are already on 2013, check your rotational privilege.

One for the anti-women chauvinistic pigs here

http://usethiscover.com/covers/504921.jpg

And one for the gender traitors

http://hotchocolatefinder.files.wordpre ... ewyear.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:Ophelia makes the death of the woman who was raped and skewered all about her:

She's never going to feel complete until she has a truly horrible experience of her own to share at SJW pity parties.
Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Reading that actually made me a bit nauseous. There truly is no level to which these Freethoughtblogs scumbags won't sink.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

JackRayner wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:judging by the racket outside, its now proper UTC new year
It's barely 7:30pm here, and the fireworks have been going off since....no. Actually, they started last night at midnight.

Makes me wonder if I would be Ok with fireworks if it weren't for my explosions-related PTSD.
I hate fireworks... I think from when I used to have a dog. The poor blighter would find something to lay under and shake uncontrollably. No amount of hugz would help

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote:
Gumby wrote:Gawd, Lois Griffin is hot... lol
I know.

Now, how do I go about in acquiring one of those neat hats?
Well, I got mine to honor Al Stefanelli's arrival here. Mykeru proceeded to steal my hat, clone it, and hand them out freely. Fucking thief. Anyway, he'll be happy to hook you up.
Yup.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8325 ... cbac_o.jpg

And those lacking in graphic editing skills, I do requests.

New Years eve is my time for quite reflection and often I just go to bed early. Mostly it's because I determined a long time ago that the most shit way to begin the year is hung over on Jan 1st. You know, sets the tone.

A Happy New Year to all you fuckers and have friends with bail money handy.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Couple of quick counterexamples to claim that parody twitter accounts are targeted at "feminist women":

https://twitter.com/search?q=groupthinkblogs&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40atheismplus_&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40gregIaden&src=typd

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

This "Edward Gemmer" guy is transparently 'having a go' at them, and they cannot even see it. They are so wound up in their own self-righteous pity party, that they are taking his jokes as 'very very serious insults', and responding in kind. LOL.

Amusing stuff!

And I am new here. I have been reading FTB on and off, and I have come to the conclusion that the place is a lot like high school. Why so much drama from supposedly mature, rational bloggers? I like a great many of them, and agree with them philosophically. But debate is a good thing, and they shun debate in favour of high school hi-jinks. It is sad.

franc

Post by franc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gotta disagree with you on your choice of douchebag Eberhard. He was unreadable at FTB, and over at Patheos he joined in the FTB attack on Justin Vacula. Also his idea of activism is to play retro video games with Thimbledick.
Just one captured example of Eberhard's creative reality engineering -

http://i.imgur.com/NSdVN.png

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Gumby wrote:
Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Reading that actually made me a bit nauseous. There truly is no level to which these Freethoughtblogs scumbags won't sink.
My thoughts exactly... I think I might mention that in my post back. I'll keep it polite, of course.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Wait til Oolon shows up. They've got quite a toxic symbiosis going on. He winds her up with his reports from the "slymy" world outside their bubble, then soothes her with his oily commiseration. She'll spend the New Year throwing rocks at the moon.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

having said I hate fireworks, there is this youtube clip of a nice display from the olympics that might help celebrate and bring a smile to someones face if staying in ...
a chap who was a little nearer to the display than he realized

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote: New Years eve is my time for quite reflection and often I just go to bed early. Mostly it's because I determined a long time ago that the most shit way to begin the year is hung over on Jan 1st. You know, sets the tone.
A wise choice. Legend has it that this is the night of the year when the legendary Watsoncabra terrorizes countless bars and wreaks havoc on unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians after last call.

AKAHorace

Post by AKAHorace »

Happy New Year, Slime pitters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Making up for "lost income and expense" ...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:
Gumby wrote:Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Wait til Oolon shows up. They've got quite a toxic symbiosis going on. He winds her up with his reports from the "slymy" world outside their bubble, then soothes her with his oily commiseration. She'll spend the New Year throwing rocks at the moon.
I'm pretty sure Ophie reads this place as much as Oozeschlong does, but yeah, he'll weasel in there soon for his usual tattle-and"did I do good, mummy?" session. Blecch.

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

Gumby; Normally you appear to be a rational person, but then you say;

Just my opinion, but I think Simpleflower from A+ takes the prize for looniest, drooliest commenter. No contest.

Are you saying that Kassianne and her pack of fascist mods didn't conspire to steal her cyberhugs??!!
Everybody is unfair to simpleflower!

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Eucliwood wrote:
Gumby wrote:
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.
This gets fucking annoying. Fuck you, Eucliwood, you fucking spastic fuck.
Hey, don't blame me. Clearly the moderator put a strict time limit up... that or you post just as fast as I do. :D
You, Eucliwood, as the direct proximate reason I imposed that limit. He CAN blame you - it's because of you.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

skepCHUD wrote:Gumby; Normally you appear to be a rational person, but then you say;

Just my opinion, but I think Simpleflower from A+ takes the prize for looniest, drooliest commenter. No contest.

Are you saying that Kassianne and her pack of fascist mods didn't conspire to steal her cyberhugs??!!

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
We'll start a hugs thread just for her...

and then steal them all...bwah-ha-ha!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

skepCHUD wrote:Gumby; Normally you appear to be a rational person, but then you say;

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
It's time for another viewing of this lovely moment, wen Justicar tries his very best not to laugh. He fails.

[youtube]9C_11laqbvM[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
True. I guess I'm guilty of victim-blaming. My most sincerestest apologies to SimpleFlower *hugs*

AKAHorace

Post by AKAHorace »

Off to the pub, as the rest of you should.

Get off this list, it is time to get drunk.

(Unless you are Australian, in which case you have missed the boat on this one)

franc

Post by franc »

List of toilet slugs. Don't forget Adam Lee - who makes oooooooolon's obsequious toadying look trivial.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Ophelia makes the death of the woman who was raped and skewered all about her:

I think it's worth remembering that the whole schism kicked off when Watson and her supporters decided to freak out at remarks by Dawkins that contrasted the 'difficulties' faced by women at Western skeptic events with those faced by women in the developing world. I don't know all the details here but I would hazard a guess that the kind of people that would partake in the gang rape of a woman and, afterwards, ram an iron rod through her intestines before throwing her off a moving bus, could safely be described as mysogynists. Now I don't know the details of the perpetrators but I'll hazard a guess that they weren't a group of skeptics on their way home from TAM India. They were, in all likelihood about as religious as the rest of the population, and had been brought up with the views about women that their religion inculcates in them, something that real atheist activists like Dawkins have been fighting for years (and was the central point in his 'Dear Muslima' remark.) It is also sad to remember that at one time Ophelia hershelf was one of the atheists known for railing against religious views of women in the developing world, before she disappeared down the rebbecit hole.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

HAHA. I love that one. It's very cheery.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

She's never going to feel complete until she has a truly horrible mildly unpleasant experience of her own to share over-react to and moan on about endlessly at SJW pity parties.
"Mhnk, mnhk, have you seen my death threat dear? I always carry it with me. Shocking isn't it? OooOoHh, that franc person said he'd kick me in the cunt as soon as he finds an archaeologist to show him where it is. I live in fear you know. Mhnk mhnk, barman! Pint of fucking sherry!"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

real horrorshow wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Listen to the Houyhnhnm.
Oh, well played sir, well played! Don't tell me you didn't hug yourself with glee over that one!
Why, thank you. I admit I was a little pleased with myself over that one. In fact, I think I became my own bitch for a little while.

As for the 5 worst baboons - well, I've already done my 5 most lulzworthy, so here's my five most detestable.

1. Zvan. A thoroughly, thoroughly nauseating bag of sick. How this cow can have any pretentions to skepticism when being so wilfilly blind to the blatant transgressions of her fwiends is fucking beyond me. I swear, if she was a catholic priest, she'd be first in line blaming the buggered choirboys for being too saucy with the clergy. And let's not forget her pathetic, snide and downright dishonest attempts to be a reasonable debater. 'I can haz better enemies?' she asks. Well, it might help, Zvan, if you put your better enemies out of auto-moderation.

2. Peezee. Lowered himself to the status of a morass of tubifex worms this year, and not just because his natural home is a sewer and he does weird things when poked with a stick. Equating Marc Lepine to critics of feminism was bad enough; then we saw this malodorous invertebrate make lewd comments to a woman he pulled up from the stage. Pointless demagogue. Revolting, lecherous hypocrite. In general, a fucking horrible old spunker.

3. Rebecca Watson. Made herself look like an utter dumb shit this year over the evo-psych thing, but no real surprise there. My excessive dislike of Watson still remains largely a visceral thing, and I can't help but be utterly creeped out by her Kamp Kommandant eyes and slithery top lip. I actually have a suspicion her upper mouthpart detaches itself from her face in the morning, when she's asleep, and seeks out victims with which it will inject a squealing parasite into their spines that will turn them into Adam Lee.

4. Half-Fish. Quite simply: What. The. Fuck? Given this creature's fluid sexuality, physicality and downright squamous thought-processess, I'm wondering if it wasn't so much born as grew behind a fridge. I'm guessing the lunatic assertion that it's really quite okay to fuck someone without telling them you have HIV is born more of being a moron than evil. But even so. Nevertheless, Half-Fish would have made it higher on this were it not for the fact that there is something oddly pitiful about this strange sack of matter. Somehow, I can't help feeling a little sorry for someone who got into trouble at work because they kept going on and on about their dead iguana. However, that's probably not 'sorry' in the way that Half-Fish would likely assume.

5. Thimbledoo. Given how happy I was to hear he was bullied at school, I took it as a sign of how much I dislike this snivelling little dork. In short: Zvan's colostomy bag. Always hanging around the woman and full of her effluvia. Thought it would be a great thing for charidee if people sponsored him to play videogames. Shit, Jase, why not be sponsored for doing something you really like, and lie under a glass-topped coffee table while Zvan does a 5 hour shitathon on it? Pansy-arsed dickhead.

Oh, and Happy New Year from the Greenwich Meantime parts!

Spence

Post by Spence »

Gumby wrote:A wise choice. Legend has it that this is the night of the year when the legendary Watsoncabra terrorizes countless bars and wreaks havoc on unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians after last call.
That's only one night per year? You sure about that?

Happy new year, 'pitizens. Cheers!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Eucliwood wrote:
Gumby wrote:

My thoughts exactly... I think I might mention that in my post back. I'll keep it polite, of course.
Well, I think I kept it "polite" but Ophelia might disagree:

http://i.imgur.com/Eyux4.png

(Hi, Ophelia!)

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Badger3k wrote:

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
We'll start a hugs thread just for her...

and then steal them all...bwah-ha-ha!
Ugh, Kassiane. I know her from a channel she used to go. I still go there, but she does not. I think she might still hang out at that stupid elitist channel though. She sucked then and she sucks even more now. Especially since she backed that total asshole, lion42. He was a major asshole. I swear he was trying to make people jump off of bridges... ironically, he made a mother of children feel like shit for feeling depressed being with an abusive husband. And here she is, at atheism+... if only I had logs of the type of people she swooped to defend. They're not friends anymore, but she was friends with him when he bashed any and everyone.

But then again.. I'm sort of friends with someone who goes to the board.. who also used to go to that channel... BUT BUT.. he got banned from an FtBblog! I won't name him since he's too embarrassed to be affiliated with me and the people over at A+ could figure out I'm friends with him.

And, Lsuoma

It's the fault of the person who did it. Don't pull that "you're being punished because of that person" manipulative bullshit that parents and teachers like to pull. No one told you to make such a strict time limit. If you think that time limit is good enough- meaning, if you think anyone who posts too fast for it DESERVES to be stopped from posting, then you should be telling Gumby simply not to post so fast. If not, then fucking loosen it or get rid of it. I'm doing more work than others here to make sure I don't have to double post - refreshing threads in another tab (in order to see new posts I can reply to) and addressing multiple posts in one, and it's fucking ridiculous.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Eucliwood wrote:And, Lsuoma

It's the fault of the person who did it. Don't pull that "you're being punished because of that person" manipulative bullshit that parents and teachers like to pull. No one told you to make such a strict time limit. If you think that time limit is good enough- meaning, if you think anyone who posts too fast for it DESERVES to be stopped from posting, then you should be telling Gumby simply not to post so fast. If not, then fucking loosen it or get rid of it. I'm doing more work than others here to make sure I don't have to double post - refreshing threads in another tab (in order to see new posts I can reply to) and addressing multiple posts in one, and it's fucking ridiculous.
Nope. Lsuoma changed the setting for everyone (yesterday, I think) because you were posting so fast & basically spamming the board. I don't believe back-to-back posts from Gumby have ever been seen as problematic.
I'm doing more work than others here to make sure I don't have to double post - refreshing threads in another tab (in order to see new posts I can reply to) and addressing multiple posts in one, and it's fucking ridiculous.
Oh, boo hoo. You're creating that work yourself. How 'bout just pouring yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, sitting back, and reading what other people are posting without feeling any particular onus to "address posts" or "reply to new posts"?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Eucliwood replied to my new post, and I appreciated it!

Being new here and all!

/wave

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

another lurker wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

This "Edward Gemmer" guy is transparently 'having a go' at them, and they cannot even see it. They are so wound up in their own self-righteous pity party, that they are taking his jokes as 'very very serious insults', and responding in kind. LOL.

Amusing stuff!

And I am new here. I have been reading FTB on and off, and I have come to the conclusion that the place is a lot like high school. Why so much drama from supposedly mature, rational bloggers? I like a great many of them, and agree with them philosophically. But debate is a good thing, and they shun debate in favour of high school hi-jinks. It is sad.
This is truly wonderful:
http://i.imgur.com/G6HD5.jpg
Because what feminist blog isn't all about ignoring others with rules lawyering. They have a faq, finally feminism 101, that tells all about the rules, for example, "patriarchy hurts men too", and a guide book, "derailing for dummies", and 85% of any SJW thread is speech policing with rules lawyering: tone argument, tone argument!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

somedumbguy wrote:
another lurker wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

This is truly wonderful:
http://i.imgur.com/G6HD5.jpg
Because what feminist blog isn't all about ignoring others with rules lawyering. They have a faq, finally feminism 101, that tells all about the rules, for example, "patriarchy hurts men too", and a guide book, "derailing for dummies", and 85% of any SJW thread is speech policing with rules lawyering: tone argument, tone argument!

They are so obsessed with the rules that they do not give people a chance.

And you know what's funny? They bitch and moan about 'having to give feminism 101 lessons again and again' but uhm, don't they want to get the word out? Convert people to their cause? WELL HELLO BITCHES, YOU CAN'T CONVERT PEOPLE IF YOU DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO TALK TO THEM, INSTEAD OF JUST BITCHING ABOUT HOW THEY DID NOT CONVERT IN 5 SECONDS FLAT.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote: And you know what's funny? They bitch and moan about 'having to give feminism 101 lessons again and again' but uhm, don't they want to get the word out? Convert people to their cause? WELL HELLO BITCHES, YOU CAN'T CONVERT PEOPLE IF YOU DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO TALK TO THEM, INSTEAD OF JUST BITCHING ABOUT HOW THEY DID NOT CONVERT IN 5 SECONDS FLAT.
Too bad proselytizing Christians don't take that approach. "Why the fuck should we tell you about Jesus, you demented fuckwit troll, when we've explained the concept plenty of times?? It's all explained in the Bible, so DO YOUR RESEARCH and quit JAQ-ing off, douchenozzle."

Christianity would have lasted about as long as AtheismPlus.

franc

Post by franc »

Just to sign off the old year -

http://i.imgur.com/NIWDW.png

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

another lurker wrote:
It's not the rules they are obsessed with. It's the speech/message/consensus they are obsessed with. Their rotten behaviors and the rules are only methods they need to use to keep their message from falling apart in the face of any examination.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:
another lurker wrote: And you know what's funny? They bitch and moan about 'having to give feminism 101 lessons again and again' but uhm, don't they want to get the word out? Convert people to their cause? WELL HELLO BITCHES, YOU CAN'T CONVERT PEOPLE IF YOU DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO TALK TO THEM, INSTEAD OF JUST BITCHING ABOUT HOW THEY DID NOT CONVERT IN 5 SECONDS FLAT.
Too bad proselytizing Christians don't take that approach. "Why the fuck should we tell you about Jesus, you demented fuckwit troll, when we've explained the concept plenty of times?? It's all explained in the Bible, so DO YOUR RESEARCH and quit JAQ-ing off, douchenozzle."

Christianity would have lasted about as long as AtheismPlus.
It's because the most rabid FTB'ers are not here to convert. They are here to feel morally righteous. They are here to rub their superiority in everyone's faces. Hence the obsession with rules. They are constantly looking for excuses to attack others. Notice how many of them live their lives on the board?

And for the record, the above complaint can be applied to any number of forum posters across an entire spectrum of interests. I have been a visitor to all sorts of blogs and forums over the last 10 years, and I have always ended up leaving because of the control freaks on every forum. People who live their lives on the forum/blog and who LORD it over everyone else.

They don't give a shit about their 'movement'. It's about jacking up their own egos. That's all it is, in the end.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

mutleyeng wrote:having said I hate fireworks, there is this youtube clip of a nice display from the olympics that might help celebrate and bring a smile to someones face if staying in ...
a chap who was a little nearer to the display than he realized
For shits and giggles, this was my favourite part of the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony:

[youtube]cnXyS_mXFpY[/youtube]

Post by Guest »

somedumbguy wrote:
another lurker wrote:
It's not the rules they are obsessed with. It's the speech/message/consensus they are obsessed with. Their rotten behaviors and the rules are only methods they need to use to keep their message from falling apart in the face of any examination.

Agreed. A more nuanced view than mine :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Skep tickle wrote:

Nope. Lsuoma changed the setting for everyone (yesterday, I think) because you were posting so fast & basically spamming the board. I don't believe back-to-back posts from Gumby have ever been seen as problematic.
Nobody had ever treated the board to such a stream-of-consciousness load of twaddle, and nobody had ever complained about so many words being unloaded in such a short period of time.

Anyway, Eucliwoo is entirely wrong when s/h/it says it's not s/h/its fault: it is. I decided as a result of the unhappiness expressed by several posters, and also for myself (I am allowed to post here too, right?) that s/h/it had the specific fault of posting too fast, and I decided to increase the gap imposed before multiple postings from 15 seconds to 120 seconds (since reduced to 60). I decided it is a fault of Eucliwoo, and did what I did. Ergo, it's s/h/its fault.

How people choose to apportion blame is up to them. But s/h/it's behavior was the direct proximate cause.
Skep tickle wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:I'm doing more work than others here to make sure I don't have to double post - refreshing threads in another tab (in order to see new posts I can reply to) and addressing multiple posts in one, and it's fucking ridiculous.
Oh, boo hoo. You're creating that work yourself. How 'bout just pouring yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, sitting back, and reading what other people are posting without feeling any particular onus to "address posts" or "reply to new posts"?
Cry me a fucking river, Eucliwoo. :violin: :violin: :violin:

bubblesort

Post by bubblesort »

another lurker wrote:Crossposting this quote, because I see that this is the active part of the forum, and because I think it is relevant to the discussion at hand:

"The first is the collection of authoritarian behaviours that many of us refer to as Stalinism, arising again and again within our ranks like poisonous mushrooms. Most of us on the Left think we’ve learned those lessons by now, but we seem incapable of abolishing the tendency and preventing its destructive effects within our own ranks. So we divide, and we divide again, and by doing so we give in to those who favour shrieking denunciations over authentic engagement. We seem to insist on weakening ourselves. Ally after ally is pared away because of insufficient obeisance to doctrine, the latter all too often conflated with personal quirks and idiosyncrasies. Mere disagreement can get one banned, shunned and/or publicly reviled and lied about. " (from a blogger I admire)
I like that quote, but I see privilege theory arguments as inherently Marxist rather than Stalinist (although Stalinism was kind of Marxist, I guess). The privilege check police seek to divide us into classes in order to create class conflict because their framework falls apart without class conflict. I've found that most people on A+ and even other non-atheist and non-activist forums I frequent who are the loudest privilege-check police are almost always Marxist. I've noticed a surge of Marxists in online communities over the past month or so, and they aren't always advocating privilege checks, sometimes they try to argue things like value theory.

To clarify: I am not calling people Marxist the same way, say, Fox News calls Obama Marxist. I am talking about people who quote Das Kapital. It's overt.

Check out this review of a book on privilege, you'll see what I mean:
http://theredphoenixapl.org/2011/01/07/ ... d-marxism/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I like you guys.

I never thought I would visit here, but the bullying I witnessed has left me feeling ill.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Happy New Year, SlymePitCunts.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Skep tickle wrote:

I'm doing more work than others here to make sure I don't have to double post - refreshing threads in another tab (in order to see new posts I can reply to) and addressing multiple posts in one, and it's fucking ridiculous.
Um, I do that (sitting back and reading) as well... PLENTY. You didn't have to reply to my post, but you did. That's why it's called a message board, dipshit. Basically you're telling me not to post at all.
And that's my fucking point Lsuoma changed the setting for everyone... and I wasn't posting so fast and spamming the god damn board.
And even when I did do double or triple posts, my solution (simply addressing them in one post) works for me.
You have yet to rebut what I've said, really. If he thinks his time limit is reasonable, then anyone posting too fast for it is posting too fast, in his eyes. If he doesn't think it's reasonable, he should change it. Easy as that. He didn't HAVE to do anything. This is all a bunch of bandwagon bullshit. For all I know, you didn't even witness the shit yourself. I don't remember you being around for it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Still nearly six hours to go, Pit Tyme, before the New Year kicks in. I may not be awake then to send out the best wishes, so now I want to thanks all the people that have made this place what it is. You all know who you and each other are.

See y'all on the other side!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ha-haaa. Skep Tickle, I see Sally Syringe has leapt into the fray armed with major herpaderps:

Yeah, “Skeptixx,” shockingly enough, women often do see connections between physical attacks that are motivated by misogyny and verbal attacks that are motivated by misogyny. Haven’t you seen those domestic violence warning signs pamphlets in the Planned Parenthood bathrooms? They all emphasize how domestic violence isn’t just hitting and punching, it’s also tearing down the victim’s self-esteem, telling her she’s worthless, etc.

Oh wait, you probably haven’t. There’s that pesky male privilege again!

Get the fuck over it. Your outrage about Ophelia’s alleged giant ego is unconvincing.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-397741

Almost as funny as when Illuminata called me a chill-girl.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-haaa. Skep Tickle, I see Sally Syringe has leapt into the fray armed with major herpaderps:

Yeah, “Skeptixx,” shockingly enough, women often do see connections between physical attacks that are motivated by misogyny and verbal attacks that are motivated by misogyny. Haven’t you seen those domestic violence warning signs pamphlets in the Planned Parenthood bathrooms? They all emphasize how domestic violence isn’t just hitting and punching, it’s also tearing down the victim’s self-esteem, telling her she’s worthless, etc.

Oh wait, you probably haven’t. There’s that pesky male privilege again!

Get the fuck over it. Your outrage about Ophelia’s alleged giant ego is unconvincing.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-397741

Almost as funny as when Illuminata called me a chill-girl.
Well yeah, many people who regularly abuse their partners, if they are men, are simply man-supremacist (see those crazy "woman is inferior" people on Maury?), but many of them also like, aren't motivated by any sort of sexist attitude or misogyny.

Pesky male privilege? rofl. I thought that was sarcasm. Okay, is this poster assuming you're a guy (sexist D:) or does she know it?

Reap

Post by Reap »

Darren wrote:
ERV wrote:Facebook
http://i.imgur.com/KTsPn.png

I thought this was a joke its not. I'm gonna paste a link to his blog under that status!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

We're nice guys, A. Lurker. :) Even the chicks.
Reap wrote:Ok I need everyone to list your TOP 5 jerk-face, moron, fuck-wad,A+ idiots or FTB assholes for my end of the year list. No need to give reasons why and if you think that more than 1 can fit in as number 1, thats ok. I'm not sure the best way to tally it. List it here unless it gets messy I guess? Or if you cant risk posting it here then hit me up on FB (Reap Paden) Polls close at 11:59pm pst Jan 1
I'd elect Adam Lee for numbers 1-5. I am ETERNALLY grateful to whichever troll forced the fucker to private his twitter feed, because every time I saw his name come up I felt an urge to slam my face into my computer screen.

I made a list earlier of my top ten but it's altered somewhat so:

1. Adam Lee
2. Oolon
3. Zvan
4. PZ
5. Hensley

I'd add Amy in there too after finding out her part in the Tfoot fiasco. The power of shitty ceramics. But that's too many!
Za-zen wrote:A flat tax rate is sold by the rich to poor fuckwits who are too stupid to understand how things work. Think your average working guy in the states who buys and votes for the republican party.

Flat tax rates rock especially when you can afford an accountant who ensures you don't pay any fucking tax. I have one.
I think flat taxes are retarded. NZ has graduated tax:

$0 – $14,000 10.5%
$14,001 – $48,000 17.5%
$48,001 – $70,000 30%
Over $70,000 33%

I would be open to the idea that people would tax more over say 100 or 150k as well. I quite like paying tax - it's kind of like a nice bit of community service you don't really have to think about. :)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

You know what else is funny?

They would probably hate most of my favourite podcasts.

Cognitive Dissonance
Irreligiosophy

To name a couple. Both are completely pro-woman, but occasionally they use the term 'bitch' or make a sexist joke, and such behaviour would not be tolerated by the most rabid FTB'ers.

It's kind of sad that the warped views of FTB'ers has me parsing everything I hear and read, wondering if the subject matter is something they would viciously attack for not being 'hyper-sensitive' enough.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

bubblesort wrote: [spoiler]
another lurker wrote:Crossposting this quote, because I see that this is the active part of the forum, and because I think it is relevant to the discussion at hand:

I like that quote, but I see privilege theory arguments as inherently Marxist rather than Stalinist (although Stalinism was kind of Marxist, I guess). The privilege check police seek to divide us into classes in order to create class conflict because their framework falls apart without class conflict. I've found that most people on A+ and even other non-atheist and non-activist forums I frequent who are the loudest privilege-check police are almost always Marxist. I've noticed a surge of Marxists in online communities over the past month or so, and they aren't always advocating privilege checks, sometimes they try to argue things like value theory.

To clarify: I am not calling people Marxist the same way, say, Fox News calls Obama Marxist. I am talking about people who quote Das Kapital. It's overt.[/spoiler]

Check out this review of a book on privilege, you'll see what I mean:
http://theredphoenixapl.org/2011/01/07/ ... d-marxism/
Welcome aboard bubblesort. And I have to say that I love your avatar; how I learned to love the bomb – yippee ki-ay! :-)

And, to kill two birds with one stone – not wanting to spam the board – and in case I don’t get a chance later, Happy New Year Pitters – “ever onward and upward” – rah, rah ….

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Eucliwood

Skep Tickle doesn't have any male privilege. Nope. None at all.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Fish in a barrel...fish in a barrel....big fat fish
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/ed.png

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote: It's because the most rabid FTB'ers are not here to convert. They are here to feel morally righteous. They are here to rub their superiority in everyone's faces. Hence the obsession with rules. They are constantly looking for excuses to attack others. Notice how many of them live their lives on the board?

And for the record, the above complaint can be applied to any number of forum posters across an entire spectrum of interests. I have been a visitor to all sorts of blogs and forums over the last 10 years, and I have always ended up leaving because of the control freaks on every forum. People who live their lives on the forum/blog and who LORD it over everyone else.

They don't give a shit about their 'movement'. It's about jacking up their own egos. That's all it is, in the end.
An interesting viewpoint. Maybe it could be said that the FTBers are as you say all about acting morally righteous and superior. It could also be said that A+ was imagined to be a place where the dogma could actually be spread - that they'd be the people doing the work that the FTBers were too busy wanking to their reflections to bother with. Of course, A+ dissolved immediately into emotionally unstable shrieking, so a big failure there. There's just nothing rational to promote.

As far as your point about other places ending up like FTB, I hope that never becomes the case here. The problems in other forums, as you noted, come from people with control issues. Here, people will nag sometimes when people do things like repeatedly breach common-sense netiquette conventions, but really, it's somewhat anarchic here. Everyone lives and dies by their own words, and there are almost no rules. I was once part of a forum where the mods were absolutely iron-fisted as in A+ and FTB people were banned on a whim. It fell apart rather quickly. The people who didn't get banned, left in disgust because of these egomaniacal control freaks. The more rules, the more miserable the atmosphere of a site. Pharyngula and the rest of FtB are a testament to that.

The Pit, however, has a wonderfully relaxed feel to it, simply because there are no firm rules (other than no illegal posts or activity, basically). So long story short, hopefully this place can avoid these types of pitfalls.

franc

Post by franc »

rayshul wrote:I made a list earlier of my top ten but it's altered somewhat so:

1. Adam Lee
2. Oolon
Yes. Just the kind of attention the turd craves - his life is a hollow cave of tears and echoing sorrow without it. Fuck him. Really, he's like a piece of dogshit you step in on the street. Scrape it off and keep walking while you ponder more relevant things. One more time for Chester (you know he's reading) -

[youtube]UVNHcob3oJg[/youtube]