Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by JackRayner »

Saint N. wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Who's "the missus"?
His wife Beth. She's has a feminst/atheist, A+esque podcast called Godless Bitches. Judging by the comments she's made over the past year and a half she sides with the FtB/A+ crowd completely, on just about everything from EG to Schrodinger's Rapist to harassment policies to patriarchy to (insert whatever the hell else you can think of). We'll see whether Matt's issues with the plussers changes things for her too.
Drats! Beat me to it!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Saint N. wrote:
rayshul wrote:That's quite a threat, there. If you don't be quiet, I'll send someone to find you.

I never know the point at which you should probably contact the police, but given what happened to ERV it miiiight be something you'd want to think about.
And her brain isn't even damaged by testosterone. So what's Stefunny's excuse, she's just asshole?
It is damaged by totally unfounded feelings of adequacy.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Beth Prestwood.
She counts as a public figure as she is a permanent co-host on the "Godless Bitches" podcast, and often appear on the Atheist Community of Austin TV Show.
To gauge her position in matters feminitsa, she uses the egregious & totally unqualified lunatic Amanda Marcotte for her medical reproductive advice.
She is, in my opinion, a full "mental" jacket bozo bonkers gender feminazi femtheist.

(Good luck Matt!)
I tend to disagree here.
She was involved in the Atheist Experience for a year or so before Elevatorgate blew up and during that time she seemed to be about as rad-fem minded as the average slymepitter (and about the same as Matt, Shilling, Russell, Tracey and the other hosts.)
It was only when feminist activism became a profitable niche in atheism that she suddenly found her calling and set up 'The Godless Bitches'.
This coincided with Matt joining the skeptic/atheist conference circuit (which I think he did after becoming famous for non-FTB/Skepchick/feminist-supporting reasons - although, IMHO, his wish to remain part of the circuit means he dared not criticize them - until now)

Ryan Grant Long yesterday made the point on twitter that nearly all the current atheist 'feminists' have little or no formal education on gender issues. They come across like amateurs, bullshitting about complex subjects to which they have given practically zero in-depth study. Beth is certainly in this category (as are most of the usual subjects, RW, Jen, Steph, O etc.)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Saint N. wrote:
rayshul wrote:That's quite a threat, there. If you don't be quiet, I'll send someone to find you.

I never know the point at which you should probably contact the police, but given what happened to ERV it miiiight be something you'd want to think about.
And her brain isn't even damaged by testosterone. So what's Stefunny's excuse, she's just asshole?
It is damaged by totally unfounded feelings of adequacy.
She enjoys exerting power and fear over people. This is her fun. This is also why I'd suggest calling the police.

I've done that before to discuss a nuisance caller - I had handled the situation badly, lost my nut in a HYSTERICAL way, and was at my wits end (fucker kept calling/drunk dialling in the middle of the night so I'd had fuck all sleep, and I tried to be nice about it but hghghgghgh) - so I went to the police who were really helpful and were like, it's cool, we'll talk to the dude and make sure he stops calling. They'll probably give you some advice on what to do and a number to contact if you think she's going to make good on her threats, or may contact her and just advise her that what she's suggested isn't a good idea.

It's really very low key the way they mediate these things (at least I've found) and very impressive.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Dick Strawkins wrote:It was only when feminist activism became a profitable niche in atheism that she suddenly found her calling
Side note: I do like your wording there. It's like they have an epiphany that all these years where they were treated as equals they were actually being OPPRESSED. OMG, they cry, HOW DID I NOT NOTICE!!! ALL THESE BASTARD PRIVILEGED MALES OPENING DOORS FOR ME!!! WHAT SCUM!!!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Beth Prestwood.
She counts as a public figure as she is a permanent co-host on the "Godless Bitches" podcast, and often appear on the Atheist Community of Austin TV Show.
To gauge her position in matters feminitsa, she uses the egregious & totally unqualified lunatic Amanda Marcotte for her medical reproductive advice.
She is, in my opinion, a full "mental" jacket bozo bonkers gender feminazi femtheist.

(Good luck Matt!)
I tend to disagree here.
Is your disagreement in the form of a cryptic clue? I can see none in your post.
Dick Strawkins wrote: She was involved in the Atheist Experience for a year or so before Elevatorgate blew up and during that time she seemed to be about as rad-fem minded as the average slymepitter (and about the same as Matt, Shilling, Russell, Tracey and the other hosts.)
Before she had 'hooked' Matt
Dick Strawkins wrote: It was only when feminist activism became a profitable niche in atheism that she suddenly found her calling and set up 'The Godless Bitches'.
After she had hooked Matt
Dick Strawkins wrote: This coincided with Matt joining the skeptic/atheist conference circuit (which I think he did after becoming famous for non-FTB/Skepchick/feminist-supporting reasons - although, IMHO, his wish to remain part of the circuit means he dared not criticize them - until now)
After he had been hooked
Dick Strawkins wrote: They come across like amateurs, bullshitting about complex subjects to which they have given practically zero in-depth study. Beth is certainly in this category (as are most of the usual subjects, RW, Jen, Steph, O etc.)
I'm still waiting for your 'disagreement' to manifest its wraith-like presence.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Skep tickle wrote:Oh, what an interesting development. I was going to say SubMor for the Poe, but if his website sounds just like he does at A+ that makes him unlikely - would have required too much preparation. (Full disclosure, I have not gone to SubMor's website to check out that claim, and don't plan to. Gotta maintain some standards.)

While catching up on the marvelously entertaining last couple of pages here, I also popped over to Atheism+ to see what those cherubs have been up to, and caught this thread: "VOTE DOWN this hateful URBAN DICTIONARY entry" http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1872

Clicking on the link so handily provided takes us to: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ism%20Plus

This one may be worth a screen shot or whatever y'all do to get those image files, unless it's already been posted here and I missed that particular post. I'll just quote the entry (and do note the name at the bottom, too):
1. Atheism Plus 311 up, 224 down
A bunch of frauds. Despite having atheist in its name it really isn't atheism at all. Their goal is to subvert atheism with the religion of feminist indoctrination and bitch about non existent misogyny.

To these people any legitimate questioning of feminists and female privilege is grounds for calling anyone a misogynist. Atheism Plus is really nothing more then an attempt at co-opting the meaning of atheism.
Atheism Plus is nothing more than dogmatic feminists trying to commandeer the atheist movement. This will set back Atheism for decades if these usurpers gain popularity.

fraud pussy begger mangina hijack radical feminist s.e. cupp
by Oolon_Colluphid Sep 3, 2012
By "Oolon" as well....Surely it can't be our Oolon?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tony Parsehole wrote:By "Oolon" as well....Surely it can't be our Oolon?
I'm fairly sure there are two of them.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
7pm, Central Merkin Time:
Now THAT is a keeper.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:
Saint N. wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Stephanie Zvan wrote:Now run back to the pit and be happy I was awake enough not to take “face to face” literally and tell LSP where you live.
So Steffelant feels justified to brag about possibly doc-dropping someone's address if she's tired enough to mistake a simple comment for a threat, as long as it's made by someone who stands up to her bullshit. Yet she'll defend Laden (an ally of hers), who sent actual threats of violence to someone, any hour of the day, no questions asked. I said it before, I'll say it again, this person has no fuckin integrity or principles. It's a pure act for her. She's found a tiny, negligible, insignificant, source of authority and is milking it for all it's worth. Fuck you, Steffelantosaurus, and your irrational hangup about people misspelling your stupid name.
That's quite a threat, there. If you don't be quiet, I'll send someone to find you.

Mmm, well since I did say she could tell Left-whatever-whatever where to find me (meaning the Slyme Pit), I left a bit of an opening for that. But still, it's quite inappropriate yadda yadda. Of course, since I live in the middle of West Hollywood, in Amy Davis Roth's apartment building*, Stephanie would be short-sighted to reveal my address.

Could someone post the Cliff Notes version of what happened to ERV, & maybe a linkie or pointer to some more info somewhere?

*Of course, I'm kidding. That's not where I live. But I don't live that far from a prominent pro-A+ blogger-or-former-blogger. I won't name drop, however, as that might be assumed to suggest that I might retaliate if my address were given out.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

rayshul wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:By "Oolon" as well....Surely it can't be our Oolon?
I'm fairly sure there are two of them.
Personalities warring within the same brain or actual individuals?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Beth Prestwood.

(Good luck Matt!)
I tend to disagree here.
Is your disagreement in the form of a cryptic clue? I can see none in your post.
Dick Strawkins wrote: She was involved in the Atheist Experience for a year or so before Elevatorgate blew up and during that time she seemed to be about as rad-fem minded as the average slymepitter (and about the same as Matt, Shilling, Russell, Tracey and the other hosts.)
Before she had 'hooked' Matt
Dick Strawkins wrote: It was only when feminist activism became a profitable niche in atheism that she suddenly found her calling and set up 'The Godless Bitches'.
After she had hooked Matt
Dick Strawkins wrote: This coincided with Matt joining the skeptic/atheist conference circuit (which I think he did after becoming famous for non-FTB/Skepchick/feminist-supporting reasons - although, IMHO, his wish to remain part of the circuit means he dared not criticize them - until now)
After he had been hooked
Dick Strawkins wrote: They come across like amateurs, bullshitting about complex subjects to which they have given practically zero in-depth study. Beth is certainly in this category (as are most of the usual subjects, RW, Jen, Steph, O etc.)
I'm still waiting for your 'disagreement' to manifest its wraith-like presence.
My disagreement is over your term "full "mental" jacket bozo bonkers gender feminazi femtheist".

OK, you haven't exactly given a strict definition of this but in my opinion it is a term that would easily fit someone like Amanda Marcotte who does seem to really believe the philosophy.
I just don't happen to think that all of the 'feminist' atheists who are leading the skepchick/FTB charge are true believers in the Marcotte sense. I think most of them are bandwagon jumpers who haven't got the intellect or inclination to really read up on what they are publicly claiming they support. Beth, I think, fits into this category.
Real radical feminists (the likes of skeptifem, Zuska from the old scienceblogs, and a few of PZs menagerie of commenters) tend to live their lives like this - not suddenly decide to become feminist over a stupid drunken nothing like Elevatorgate.
I have listened to the Atheist experience for years.
Beth actually first appeared on the show as a Poe - someone ringing up to make fun by pretending to be a stupid Christian.
She then appeared many times in the background as Matt was presenting the TV show and The Non Prophets and eventually started being a co-host. In none of those occcasions was it obvious that she had some sort of ideological viewpoint anywhere close to radical feminism.
Hell, even within the past few months she hasn't acted like a rad fem when certain incidents happened during the shows (for example she was there when Shilling called someone a 'cunt' but she said nothing)
I don't think there's any evidence that the switch (is a radfem switch the female equivalent of a rape switch?) happened after they got married - but if you follow the timeline you'll notice that the 'Godless Bitches' started very soon after Elevatorgate brought feminist atheists to the fore.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

I just got done reading Matt's comments in that lousy canuck post, and all he's saying is sounding strangely familiar. Mostly because it's what the slime pit has been saying about not just A+, but FtB, since summer 2011. At one point it even sounded like Dillahunty is leaning towards admiting that we 'evil detractors' have been right all along (at least about A+),
Matt wrote: What is there to have hurt feelings over? You seem to think that there’s a violation of trust here. There is no trust. I don’t know you, I don’t owe you anything, I had been blanket-advocating for people I didn’t know. I had been telling people “go here, they’re great”. They’re not great. They’re probably good people, in a bad situation – and they acted atrociously.

The continuing conversations has shown many (not all) of the posters to be irrational, unskeptical and unfair. They’re not considering the merits or the facts – they’re just whining about how hurt they are.
And at least, unlike in that video he put up after his incident with the A+theism, he's being honest about what the bigger issue is with the way 'Curious' was treated,
This was an instance of a new user, doing what they were invited and directed to do, being treated like crap. When it turned out the new user was me – some of you started complaining that your feelings had been hurt. And some of those complaints were just pathetic.

Exactly what is there to have hurt feelings over?

It’s *almost* make sense, if I had shown up and presented myself as a foe – but I did not. You didn’t see the original post. The only thing YOU saw was a new user, doing exactly what they had been told to do…and you went on the attack.
Now if we can just open those eyes a bit wider he might actually see how this problem is not just confined to the A+forum. That it pretty much is a carry over from the environment that has been fostered over at FtB/Skepchick since before this halfbaked A+ idea was even ever proposed. But hey, baby steps, right?

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Skep tickle wrote:Could someone post the Cliff Notes version of what happened to ERV, & maybe a linkie or pointer to some more info somewhere?
I'm not sure whether you're referring specifically to ERV's (Abbie's) problems with Laden, or just a chronology of the things that have happened on the old ERV that the slyme pit is an extension of.

If it's the latter than you might want to browse through the wiki that has been set up to chronicle all the FtB/Skepchick nonsense, link (you can also edit, and add to it if you want to, as long as you have citations).

I won't bore you with the details of the laden thing, unless that's what your looking for.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dick Strawkins wrote:My disagreement is over your term "full "mental" jacket bozo bonkers gender feminazi femtheist".
Yes.
You are mostly correct in your response.
I employed excessively rabid hyperbole in order to hammer home a trivial point.
Am I still on your Xmas list?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Saint N. wrote:Now if we can just open those eyes a bit wider he might actually see how this problem is not just confined to the A+forum. That it pretty much is a carry over from the environment that has been fostered over at FtB/Skepchick since before this halfbaked A+ idea was even ever proposed. But hey, baby steps, right?
Prezackerly.
As I read Matt, he has not been "sucked-in" on this one.
The moderators, even the (maybe nonexistent Poes) are on the side of truth, justice and the Slimepit way.
Shooting themselves in both feet with every reactionary vomit-flecked truly insane post.

It is as though ALL of the moderators at A+Theism are Trojan Poes.

(Now... that would go a long ways toward explaining the entire circus. Mmm...)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Saint N. wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Could someone post the Cliff Notes version of what happened to ERV, & maybe a linkie or pointer to some more info somewhere?
I'm not sure whether you're referring specifically to ERV's (Abbie's) problems with Laden, or just a chronology of the things that have happened on the old ERV that the slyme pit is an extension of.

If it's the latter than you might want to browse through the wiki that has been set up to chronicle all the FtB/Skepchick nonsense, link (you can also edit, and add to it if you want to, as long as you have citations).

I won't bore you with the details of the laden thing, unless that's what your looking for.
It's the Laden campaigning to shut down her site to NatGeo and then turning up at her fucking work is what I'm thinking of, but I notice Pharwongula hasn't documented it.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

rayshul wrote:It's the Laden campaigning to shut down her site to NatGeo and then turning up at her fucking work is what I'm thinking of, but I notice Pharwongula hasn't documented it.
Even we get the odd bout of the regreta. If youve got info to add, by all means start an article and it'll grow.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:It's the Laden campaigning to shut down her site to NatGeo and then turning up at her fucking work is what I'm thinking of, but I notice Pharwongula hasn't documented it.
You know what to do...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@Dick Strawkins. I was thinking about Stealth-Poe-Mod and wondered is there any chance the friend of a friend who is claiming to be the stealth mod is making this up to cause even more troll paranoia on the A+Forum?
It doesn't matter if there is no Poe-Mod or not. The e-mail alone is a pretty smart move for stirring up animosity within the ranks.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Michael K Gray wrote:
SCENE

Several moderators and admins sitting in a grassy plain surrounded by the White Knights of FfTB.

A lone figure stands an addresses the gathering.

Jen "Which one of you is ruining this "movement!" Which one you is the Poe! Come face your punishment!"

Figure 1 Stands "I'm the Poe!"

Figure 2 Stands "No, I'm the Poe!"

Figure 1 Staring at Figure 2 "Really?"

Figure 2 "Yep"

Figure 3 "Wait I thought I was the only one taking the piss?"

Figure 4 "Nope, I was as well."

Figure 1180 "I had just had a competition with a friend to see how long I could post outrageous things."

Jen addressing the crowd "So all of you think this is some kind of a joke."

The crowd roars "Yes!"

A figure in rags, arm moving in a rhythmic fashion with a bindle over one shoulder ejaculates "I believed in you Jen!"

END SCENE

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Things are heating up at the Al Stefanellie weenie roast!
LeftSidePositive says:
October 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

How about frustration that someone who ought to know better is repeating the same tired, illogical bullshit we usually get from the Slymepit, and hasn’t provided any evidence or citations for their assertions.

Al Stefanelli says:
October 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Really? You’re going there?

OK, here’s the thing about the slime pit. I am not familiar with it from a personal level, only what has been written about it and discussed in other places. Perhaps I should investigate it, but if it is anything like how any other forum operates (and I’ve moderated and administered several on the Phpbb and Delphi systems going back ten years), there is a mix of several different personalities there, regardless of the general lean. There are even some liberals that hang out at conservative forums, and it is not uncommon at all to have atheists on Christian boards or vice verse. So, you would do good to specify that the information you are referring to is coming from *some* of the people there, regardless of whether or not you perceive it to be bullshit or otherwise. That is, unless you’ve been in communication with the entirety of the membership, in which case, I would be wrong.

Second, your request for citations or evidence is unfounded. I offered my points of view, observations and personal thoughts. Are you trying to do a ‘no pics, didn’t happen’ thing? If so, you’re way off mark. If I were offering a dissertation, or a wiki type article, or perhaps covering these things for a news outlet, perhaps citations would be apropos. This isn’t one of those times, though.
LeftSidePositive says:
October 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

How on earth can you tell me “the thing” about the Slymepit if you aren’t actually familiar with that forum? This is why many people here are frustrated with you–you’re presuming to be authoritative without doing the most basic research.

Also, you’re committing a “horses run in the Kentucky Derby” misinterpretation–no one, unless they’re trying to willfully misinterpret someone, assumes that to mean that all horses run in the Kentucky Derby (or that all things traveling at high speeds down the track must be horses, namely the jockeys). Saying that your unsourced, confused interpretations and generalizations (NOT by any stretch “information”) is characteristic of what we hear from trolls on the Slymepit isn’t even attempting to be a claim that all Slymepitters are like that–it isn’t even making any comparisons of some slimepitters to others; rather, it is saying that what you are doing is characteristic of one of the main tendencies that we find annoying in the Slymepitters (distorting arguments, eliding, being vague, failing to cite things, strawmanning, etc., etc.).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:@Dick Strawkins. I was thinking about Stealth-Poe-Mod and wondered is there any chance the friend of a friend who is claiming to be the stealth mod is making this up to cause even more troll paranoia on the A+Forum?
It doesn't matter if there is no Poe-Mod or not. The e-mail alone is a pretty smart move for stirring up animosity within the ranks.
I guess it's a possibility. We'll know for sure if he outs himself this week.
I tried to work out who the likely culprit poemod could be but I only managed to narrow it down to someone who:
A. Has been acting in an irrational manner, banning people for things that appear silly to outsiders.
B. Fails to stick up for genuine skepticism
and
C. Behaves like a twat over Matt Dillahunty

But that's nearly all of them.
Help!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Sulaco wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
SCENE

Several moderators and admins sitting in a grassy plain surrounded by the White Knights of FfTB.

A lone figure stands an addresses the gathering.

Jen "Which one of you is ruining this "movement!" Which one you is the Poe! Come face your punishment!"

Figure 1 Stands "I'm the Poe!"

Figure 2 Stands "No, I'm the Poe!"

Figure 1 Staring at Figure 2 "Really?"

Figure 2 "Yep"

Figure 3 "Wait I thought I was the only one taking the piss?"

Figure 4 "Nope, I was as well."

Figure 1180 "I had just had a competition with a friend to see how long I could post outrageous things."

Jen addressing the crowd "So all of you think this is some kind of a joke."

The crowd roars "Yes!"

A figure in rags, arm moving in a rhythmic fashion with a bindle over one shoulder ejaculates "I believed in you Jen!"

END SCENE
Several Intertoobz to you!

EyeNoU

Post by EyeNoU »

TheMan wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:ruled out a few more

key
voted for
unlikely
pretty sure it's not
SPACKlick wrote: Flewllyn, Maiforpeace, Submor, piegasm, onamission, xanthe, ginny, neamhepleachas, billhaines, elgatocell, nevyn, mcbender and chana.

Well that means onamission is who I will bet for.... the nic is a tell IMHO
Hello all! Had to delurk, I have been roaring with laughter over the last several pages...I think Mailforpeace is meant to be a double entendre...

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

LSP wrote:rather, it is saying that what you are doing is characteristic of one of the main tendencies that we find annoying in the Slymepitters (distorting arguments, eliding, being vague, failing to cite things, strawmanning, etc., etc.).
Not citing things? Now I know this person has never been here personally. Seriously now, we've made it a habit to screencap everything precisely so we can have references to link to; it's like an unspoken code at the slyme pit. Obvious projection is obvious.

Al, you just come on over and check it out for yourself.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Come to think of it, the atheismplus crowd have been poed before.
The main Aplus twitter account was run by Peter Hague before he outed himself.
The FTB crowd warned people not to read the tweets by @Atheismplus (a very obvious, but funny, Poe) and read the other 'official' twitter account instead - but in fact both accounts were poes!

Here's some of his final tweets.
3. @jennifurret disowned me, but was unable to definitively out me. The fact the founder of #atheismplus could not spot a Poe is worrying.

9. Most of the people you call bigots likely believe the same principles as you do. You don’t own things like ‘social justice’ #atheismplus

10. You are not moral paragons. You are as weak and flawed as the rest of humanity, so don’t be so quick to judge or label us. #atheismplus

11. A splinter faction is not the answer. You will just end up in a pointless circlejerk and further isolate yourselves. #atheismplus

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

EyeNoU wrote:Hello all! Had to delurk, I have been roaring with laughter over the last several pages...I think Mailforpeace is meant to be a double entendre...
Oh noes! Zou are flagrantly violating me safe space by using French werdz without being able to speak Czech-mate, having a MALE RAPIST Vulture for an avatar, and the worst crime in the entire universe: implying that "Mail" is a gendered insult!!
I hope that you brought a fainting couch for delicate-flower moi³, or I will get Amy's crack lawyers to sue you for £100,000!!!!!

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

EyeNoU wrote:Hello all! Had to delurk, I have been roaring with laughter over the last several pages...I think Mailforpeace is meant to be a double entendre...
Hi there, welcome to the Pit. Don't be shy about contributing and shooting the shit every now and then.

You're probably right about nym. It's actually kinda clever. Now could someone be so kind to explain to me the difference between the 'ze' and 'zir' pseudo-pronouns, so I can go back to ignoring them ('zem'?).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Saint N. wrote:
LSP wrote:rather, it is saying that what you are doing is characteristic of one of the main tendencies that we find annoying in the Slymepitters (distorting arguments, eliding, being vague, failing to cite things, strawmanning, etc., etc.).
Not citing things? Now I know this person has never been here personally. Seriously now, we've made it a habit to screencap everything precisely so we can have references to link to; it's like an unspoken code at the slyme pit. Obvious projection is obvious.

Al, you just come on over and check it out for yourself.
Reading between the lines of what Al Stefanelli has written, I think he has been here already.

Hi Al, welcome back!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... isPoem.jpg

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Reading between the lines of what Al Stefanelli has written, I think he has been here already.
The OP was referring to LSP, not Al.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Dick Strawkins wrote:eading between the lines of what Al Stefanelli has written, I think he has been here already.

Hi Al, welcome back!

'Abandon all hope ye who enter here'

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Lsuoma, maybe we should change the tagline again to the Dante quote. :lol:

Darren

Post by Darren »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Ooh. CIpher and Setar are "helping" in that Lousy Canuck thread, as Flewellyn and Matt Dillahunty air their views about the Dillahunty affair.
Matt has actually raised his cred with me from the bottom of the gutter to an inch above it.
Ironically, as a long-term "supporter" of Matt - even holding out hope as he rallied with the FtBullies, I have lost respect for him out of this. Athough I disagreed with his very vocal support of A+, I assumed he had at least bothered to check what A+ was all about. I could tolerate honest disagreement, but the fact that he now admits he hadn't even bothered to look at it (yet was still arguing with those who took issue with it) is very disappointing, to say the least.

So, yay, he's finally taking a stand against the pity party. Good for him. Hopefully getting a taste of our medicine will make him rethink who he wants to be associated with on FtB. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Michael K Gray

Pedant's Korner

Post by Michael K Gray »

Saint N. wrote:Lsuoma, maybe we should change the tagline again to the Dante quote. :lol:
It would then have to be:
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate.
Which truly translates to:
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
as opposed to the usual aborted mistranslation:
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here

Michael K Gray

Re: Pedant's Korner

Post by Michael K Gray »

Oh, and St. N: I was not criticizing your correct translation, but pointing out that a "quote" from Dante must be in the Italian vernacular of the period for it to be classed as a "quotation", rather than a translation.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

decius

Post by decius »

This verse could precede all screencaps originating from FTB and A+.
Noi siam venuti al loco ov' i' t'ho detto
che tu vedrai le genti dolorose
c'hanno perduto il ben de l'intelletto

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:This verse could precede all screencaps originating from FTB and A+.
The "c'hanno perduto il ben de l'intelletto" is most apt. For that is such which they hath foregone.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Pedant's Korner

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Saint N. wrote:Lsuoma, maybe we should change the tagline again to the Dante quote. :lol:
It would then have to be:
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate.
Which truly translates to:
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
as opposed to the usual aborted mistranslation:
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here
Reminds me of that Chiggy von Richtofen character from Space: Above and Beyond. He had "abandon all hope" painted on his alien spaceship. But, why in English? It was a global war!

[youtube]M07ltuAYqzc[/youtube]

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael K Gray wrote:
decius wrote:This verse could precede all screencaps originating from FTB and A+.
The "c'hanno perduto il ben de l'intelletto" is most apt. For that is such which they hath foregone.
Addendum:
Ed elli a me: Questo misero modo
tegnon l’anime triste di coloro
che visser sanza ’nfamia e sanza lodo!!

Post by Guest »

Haha, I'm just catching up on the whole Dillahunty incident and reading the comments in Lousy Canuck's blog post. This one made me lol too much (bolding is mine; unnecessary, comical italicising of 'hurt' done by original poster):
Cipher wrote:
Yeah – he seems to be really pissed right now
So am I.
Matt is not the only person involved here.
The people who have actually been hurt? Are under fire. From a lot of sides. Including their “ally” Matt Fucking Dillahunty, whom some of them – including me – respected and liked a great deal prior to this incident. Thanks for scolding Jason for publicly taking our side, when it provided some well-needed comfort for us – you know, the people who were hurt by this.
Hahahahahahaha, you can't make this shit up.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Saint N. wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:eading between the lines of what Al Stefanelli has written, I think he has been here already.

Hi Al, welcome back!

'Abandon all hope ye who enter here'
If you will allow me to be pedantic, that is actually Purgatory in the background, not Hell.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

mikelf wrote: If you will allow me to be pedantic, that is actually Purgatory in the background, not Hell.
Okay, I am an idiot. That is Hell in the left foreground. :icon-redface:

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

mikelf wrote:
mikelf wrote: If you will allow me to be pedantic, that is actually Purgatory in the background, not Hell.
Okay, I am an idiot. That is Hell in the left foreground.
And here I was assuming that Hell is being stuck in an elevator with the A+Theism moderators.

(And that is not an Allegory, Don'te forget)

decius

Post by decius »

MKG, I'm impressed by your ease with medieval Tuscan vernacular.

Are you familiar with Benvenuto Cellini's autobiography, written a couple of centuries later? It's a little book with the uncanny power to change everyone's perception of daily life during the Renaissance. Cellini is best remembered for his art, but he was also a bon vivant and a scoundrel who loved to take advantage of the powerful, especially the clergy. His adventures truly are extraordinary.

The copyright has long since expired, so there's an excellent free translation, which does justice to the archaisms of the original text.
Here it is, in case you're interested and you haven't read it already.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4028

Here's the original text, but it can be challenging in parts also to the native speaker.

http://www.liberliber.it/mediateca/libr ... _vit_p.pdf

Have a nice time trip.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:Are you familiar with Benvenuto Cellini's autobiography, written a couple of centuries later?
[/quote]Never heard of the bugger.
decius wrote: Here's the original text, but it can be challenging in parts also to the native speaker.
Have a nice time trip.
I thank thee most kindly Sir Babooly!
It will make a more palatable literary meal than wading through the turgid stygian mass of pathetic illiteracy that is the sum total of A+Theism forum posts.
My fingers have been hovering over their registration page, but I could not bring myself to commit the perfidy that is that of an anonymous poster. My integrity will not allow it.

I'd rather be reading post medieval Italian vernacular, than commit myself to such masochism.

My review will be on the next (but one) sailing Frigate out of Genoa, O my Lord.

AnonymousCowherd

Kikes and Ale

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

codelette wrote:
welch wrote:
codelette wrote: lol, julian...that twat...
He once out of nowhere called me a kike; so I told him I am a spic. He didn't feel the urge to snap my neck.
He had the weirdest definition of kike, according to him it meant asshole where he was from.

He is from Brooklyn. :lol:
Jews? In Brooklyn? Nonsense.

Next thing, you're going tell me there's a lot of asians in San Francisco.
Jews? Yo mean assholes?
Was julian implying that jewish people are assholes? :o

(comment #122)
Anonym zu freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck/2012/01/03/mallorie-nasrallah-says-i-like-it-when-mencallmethings/
Clearly he is from Brooklyn, New South Wales, where a "kike" is what you have with afteroon tea. Bit like the German chap who told me me a joke about "the War" (how urbane was he?) as in, young Aussie soldier arrives in Europe during WW2. "Well lad" says the CO, "have you come here to die" answer "Nah, mite got 'ere yesterdee"

Michael K Gray

Re: Kikes and Ale

Post by Michael K Gray »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:Bit like the German chap who told me me a joke about "the War" (how urbane was he?) as in, young Aussie soldier arrives in Europe during WW2. "Well lad" says the CO, "have you come here to die" answer "Nah, mite got 'ere yesterdee"
Spike Milligan lives!
(Goon Show, 1955)

Michael K Gray

Grimalkin?

Post by Michael K Gray »

If I remember correctly, the anonymous coward "Grimalkin" of A+Theism truly awesomely powerful moderator infamy, has claimed to be male, has claimed to be younger than the snot-nosed cunt Rhys (faffin') M'Organ (<= 17), and who has a galloping "My Little Pony" GIF as a proud proud signature.
Quiz time: Is he a paid-up Brony?
First one to get it correct wins 11 points.
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0 ... 61630.jpeg

decius

Post by decius »

Michael K Gray wrote: Never heard of the bugger.
You certainly saw his Perseus. To make a long story short, Cellini re-invented the technology for casting large bronze sculptures, which had been lost since the fall of the Roman empire.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge ... 4ef8sH.jpg

AnonymousCowherd

mikelf wrote:
Okay, I am an idiot. That is Hell in the left foreground. :icon-redface:
Unless you mean "his" left. In which case it looks like Firenze. Also hell if you want to see the Uffizi.

Actually there is only one valid question in modern Italian - AC o Inter?

Italia - sigh - Si traviato e 'l folle mi' desio... (oy, with the diacriticals).

AnonymousCowherd

Michael K Gray wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Bit like the German chap who told me me a joke about "the War" (how urbane was he?) as in, young Aussie soldier arrives in Europe during WW2. "Well lad" says the CO, "have you come here to die" answer "Nah, mite got 'ere yesterdee"
Spike Milligan lives!
(Goon Show, 1955)
As you say MKG, well spotted, like a leopard tank.

Didn't the Aussies buy those? Then discovered most billabongs were too small to hide the buggers and, in fact, most invaders would not go near a billabong and would just hang around desirable waterfront land, like most Aussies?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: Never heard of the bugger.
You certainly saw his Perseus. To make a long story short, Cellini re-invented the technology for casting large bronze sculptures, which had been lost since the fall of the Roman empire.
It is not often that I learn something new, but I have: courtesy of you; good sir knight.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Spike Milligan lives!
(Goon Show, 1955)
As you say MKG, well spotted, like a leopard tank.

Didn't the Aussies buy those? Then discovered most billabongs were too small to hide the buggers and, in fact, most invaders would not go near a billabong and would just hang around desirable waterfront land, like most Aussies?
Erm, seriously: Yes, we taxpayers bought Leopard tanks. I was in a bus going down the freeway to work, when I heard a rumblin', and looked UP to see the skipper of a Leopard Tank overtake us at a rate of knots. (He saluted the bus passengers , for what that is worth).
By fuck, those things are HUGE!
(Of course, it was wearing those rubber insoles on the tracks that are mandatory on paved roads that our Army is not willing to pay for shredding)

As for your billabong slur, I suggest that you keep well away from them, as they are quite my favourite camping spots.
And don't try to dig-in a tank, Leopard or otherwise.
It would be like the Shifting Sands of Waziristan, or even worse: The Burami Oasis!

AnonymousCowherd

BarnOwl wrote:
Gumby wrote: She lives in Seattle. Oh, does that mean according to SurlyLogic I just doxxed her, even though that is common knowledge and also the headline on her twitter account?
To paraphrase Jello Biafra in Night of the Living Rednecks, "And I thought, so this is Seattle, huh? Tolerant Seattle."

[youtube]83Nfe3utHrs[/youtube]

^ Included Dead Kennedys vid in hopes that franc will start posting again soon.
About time someone posted the Kennedys. We used to cover "Holiday in Cambodia" which seems appropriate for some the of the A+ crowd (and I quote):

So you been to school for a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car thinkin' you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl
Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz
On your five grand stereo
Braggin that you know how the niggers feel cold
And the slums got so much soul

It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear

It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't forget to pack a wife.

Whoo hoo. They seem to have the "California uber Alles" schtick down pat as well. Except maybe La Watsona and the innamorata dell' ascensore - "Too drunk to fuck".

AnonymousCowherd

Michael K Gray wrote:
As for your billabong slur, I suggest that you keep well away from them, as they are quite my favourite camping spots.
And don't try to dig-in a tank, Leopard or otherwise.
It would be like the Shifting Sands of Waziristan, or even worse: The Burami Oasis!
As a Sandgroper, you have an excuse for the billabong preference. We tropical dwellers tend to like the place where the river actually flows, even if it's over us, occasionally.

BTW you do realise the bloody Yurpeens will be here shortly and we'll be subject to a large irony wave from points West? Wot r u tokkin 'baht?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Oooohhh, Deadpool!

/comics geek
:D

Relevant commentary on the sceptical community from the man himself:
http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... -sense.jpg

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

AnonymousCowherd wrote: It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough kid, but it's life
I never thought I would get old enough to hear myself type this, not a bajillion years, BUT:
A spell in the Army would get them to toughen the fuck up quick smart.
It squeezes the "whiny" out of every slack-arsed vegetable.

But, of course, females have special exemptions from military duties.
It is male privilege that allows them to flog their guts out before being shot & maimed.

Why are not Greta, Ophelia, Jen, Becca, etc, forcefully advocating for equality in the right to be shot at in a battle? [Rhetorical]

The disingenuous CUNTS.
Males are FORCED into having their bodily integrity cast asunder by shrapnel, whilst the exempt ladies weep bitterly about T-shirts which they perceive as mocking them.
Who is privileged again, here?

Git

Post by Git »

Bloody colonials!