Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Notung

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Notung »

Michael K Gray wrote:Oh, come on!
We all know that that the kvetchers are utter phonies who stir up manufactured drama by which to ensure their continued parasitic income.
If they were not, they would have gone to the authorities at the very first opportunity with a genuine murder or rape threat.
I don't think you're disagreeing with me. I'm saying that it's the same people every time. If it was a problem with 'being an atheist woman' then you'd expect a much more even spread. I think the reverse would happen - if some prominent male atheists blogged about how atheism is impossible for men as the women keep giving them sexist hate, then I imagine that it would also be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It wouldn't prove them right.

Michael K Gray

Oh, and another thing:

Post by Michael K Gray »

Notung wrote:Just look at who's getting the abuse - it's the same people every time.
Vitally important Correction:
Just look at who's CLAIMING to get the abuse!
So far in the actual evidence basket: EMPTY!
FUCKING EMPTY!
Jesus H Christ-on-a-crutch, I wish that folk would not take their wild and loose fabrications to be fact.
Or at least behave as though we do.
And that includes you, and we.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

After more than a year posting at Abbie's (then here), I haven't received a single hate mail from anyone. Quite the contrary. We might just be doing something right here. Might also mean the assholes are only on "our" side. Or that I haven't checked my spam box lately. Or that those continuous threats they're talking about are non existent (except maybe that "Tim" guy, and even then, I just consider him a 13 years old troll, which is the correct way to handle this kind of garbage comments).

Alternatively (damn, I love this worl lately): What MKG just said.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

[img]atheists-vs-christians-vs-agnostics-vs-zen.html[/img]

Notung

Re: Oh, and another thing:

Post by Notung »

Michael K Gray wrote:Jesus H Christ-on-a-crutch, I wish that folk would not take their wild and loose fabrications to be fact.
Or at least behave as though we do.
And that includes you, and we.
Ok sorry! :p

They surely get at least SOME real stuff. I do see a lot of misrepresentation going on, but there's no question that that 'tim' commenter was in the wrong, to put it mildly. It doesn't seem extraordinary to me that there are some people on the internet who write things like that.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

justinvacula wrote:It's now available on Youtube. Look at all those dislikes already!

Apparently Jen's allowed on the internet again.
Hahahah, I guess YouTube has taken more notice of them lately. YouTube tends to have higher standards than the over-an-hour long boredom barf that PZ's hangouts are full of.

As for Jen, what the fuck kind of feminist says her boyfriend has ordered her away from the internet for the day? Maybe it was a dry joke, but really, maybe she should have said "convinced her", since that's probably the truth of it. I mean, unless she actually IS his underling, in which case, she's worse off than I thought.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

franc wrote:A Woman’s Place? The Dearth of Women in the Secular Movement
Today there are many religious feminists fighting for equal treatment of women within their faiths—something that doesn’t interest me but understandably interests them. But these women were the result, not the cause, of the twentieth-century feminist movement. Even so, there is still a tendency on the part of feminists themselves to downplay the role of secular women in the feminist movement.

Every one of us old enough to remember knows that the leadership of the feminist movement of the 1970s was disproportionately secular. But it’s not talked about or written about much, because one of the main accusations leveled by the right against feminism is that its proponents are godless.

Uhuh. And who is it that does most of the talking and writing about 1970's feminism? The patriarchy?

One for Nectar. I offer no further comment, and I gave her my take on the Jewish problem (this is just for you Kazez, you can chop everything above this line).
Possibly during the 70s it was secular, but in the 80s (I was a separatist radfem for almost the whole decade), there was a lot of religiosity, mostly in the form of new age bull like reiki, accupressure, etc, but also in not rejecting gods. They simply changed them into goddesses. I always tried to change my habitual 'oh my god' to 'oh my goddess' whenever I could remember. The mecca, er, I mean once yearly pilgramage to the Michigan "Womyn's" Music Festival, was often filled with accomodationalist workshops, like how to find one's inner goddess, how to be a xtian yet still be a lesbian (The bible ONLY condemns male homosexuality but does not condemn lesbianism! Yay! I guess they forget though, that the bible has girls sold off as property/wives). Dumb cunts. Healing crystals and fake Native American copycat rituals. Oh fuck, that brings me to a funny story:

In 1988, I finally talked my (not so radical) best friend into coming to the festival. It was also the year that half the attendees at the festival caught some form of shigellosis, but that's another story. So, let's fast forward to the first main night stage concert. Me and Karen were sitting down on our blanket/concert chairs, when some twat went on stage and announced that she was going to do a pagan/Native American blend style ritual to start the night off with good energy or some such idiocy.

She told everyone to stand. Me and Karen stayed sitting. Then she had everyone turn in 4 different directions (NSWE?) while she spoke some words that I'm sure she believed were magic. All the women around us stood, and they all turned a quarter circle each time they were told to. Me and Karen got such angry hateful looks for not participating in this (made up?) religious ritual, neither of us have ever forgotten. We still "holy fuck" about it whenever we remember.

We lucked out in not catching some form of shigella that was going around, since we left early and also mostly ate at the junk food for sale tent, rather than the festy food that's free, and freely handled by filthy women doing their volunteer shift in the kitchen. Literally filthy, someone must have had shigella poop on their hands and it got into the food. Many of the women who I knew and who went there that year, got sick.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

If Marmite and Vegemite are made from yeast, why does it smell like fish and unnamable garbage rotting? About 10 years ago, I bought a small jar (I forget which one), and I opened it and sniffed it. I nearly convulsed. A "Aghghgh" sound came out of me. I then wondered had it gone bad? But I think not. I think I simply discovered why many people are repulsed by it. It fucking stinks!

Michael K Gray

Re: Oh, and another thing:

Post by Michael K Gray »

Notung wrote:They surely get at least SOME real stuff.
Mere (wishful?) speculation.
Speculation that I do not share in the slightest.
They would have shouted the affidavits, the photocopies, the telephone logs from the rooftops in letters 10 foot high by now were that even an inkling of the case.
You do skepticism a true injustice by assuming (sans evidence, and even AGAINST prior evidence) that these charlatans, these confabulating histrionic harlequins are anything but manipulative parasites.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Today there are many religious feminists fighting for equal treatment of women within their faiths—something that doesn’t interest me but understandably interests them. But these women were the result, not the cause, of the twentieth-century feminist movement. Even so, there is still a tendency on the part of feminists themselves to downplay the role of secular women in the feminist movement.

Every one of us old enough to remember knows that the leadership of the feminist movement of the 1970s was disproportionately secular. But it’s not talked about or written about much, because one of the main accusations leveled by the right against feminism is that its proponents are godless.

Uhuh. And who is it that does most of the talking and writing about 1970's feminism? The patriarchy?

One for Nectar. I offer no further comment, and I gave her my take on the Jewish problem (this is just for you Kazez, you can chop everything above this line).
Possibly during the 70s it was secular, but in the 80s (I was a separatist radfem for almost the whole decade), there was a lot of religiosity, mostly in the form of new age bull like reiki, accupressure, etc, but also in not rejecting gods. They simply changed them into goddesses. I always tried to change my habitual 'oh my god' to 'oh my goddess' whenever I could remember. The mecca, er, I mean once yearly pilgramage to the Michigan "Womyn's" Music Festival, was often filled with accomodationalist workshops, like how to find one's inner goddess, how to be a xtian yet still be a lesbian (The bible ONLY condemns male homosexuality but does not condemn lesbianism! Yay! I guess they forget though, that the bible has girls sold off as property/wives). Dumb cunts. Healing crystals and fake Native American copycat rituals. Oh fuck, that brings me to a funny story:

In 1988, I finally talked my (not so radical) best friend into coming to the festival. It was also the year that half the attendees at the festival caught some form of shigellosis, but that's another story. So, let's fast forward to the first main night stage concert. Me and Karen were sitting down on our blanket/concert chairs, when some twat went on stage and announced that she was going to do a pagan/Native American blend style ritual to start the night off with good energy or some such idiocy.

She told everyone to stand. Me and Karen stayed sitting. Then she had everyone turn in 4 different directions (NSWE?) while she spoke some words that I'm sure she believed were magic. All the women around us stood, and they all turned a quarter circle each time they were told to. Me and Karen got such angry hateful looks for not participating in this (made up?) religious ritual, neither of us have ever forgotten. We still "holy fuck" about it whenever we remember.

We lucked out in not catching some form of shigella that was going around, since we left early and also mostly ate at the junk food for sale tent, rather than the festy food that's free, and freely handled by filthy women doing their volunteer shift in the kitchen. Literally filthy, someone must have had shigella poop on their hands and it got into the food. Many of the women who I knew and who went there that year, got sick.
Fascinating stuff. It's even been published in the scientific literature!
In August 1988, an estimated 3,175 women who attended a 5-day outdoor music festival in Michigan became ill with gastroenteritis caused by Shigella sonnei. Onset of illness peaked 2 days after the festival ended, and patients were spread throughout the United States by the time the outbreak was recognized. An uncooked tofu salad served on the last day was implicated as the outbreak vehicle (odds ratio = 3.4, p <0.0001). Over 2,000 volunteer food handlers prepared the communal meals served during the festival. This large foodborne outbreak had been heralded by a smaller outbreak of shigellosis among staff shortly before the festival began and by continued transmission of shigellosis from staff to attendees during the festival. S. sonnei isolated from women who became ill before, during, and after the festival had identical antimicrobial susceptibility patterns and plasmid profiles, limited access to soap and running water for handwashing was one of the few sanitary deficits noted at this gathering. This investigation demonstrates the need for surveillance and prompt public health intervention when Shigella infections are recognized in persons attending mass outdoor gatherings, the singular importance of handwashing in reducing secondary transmission of shigellosis, and the potential for explosive outbreaks when communal meals are prepared by large numbers of food handlers.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Scented Nectar wrote:If Marmite and Vegemite are made from yeast, why does it smell like fish and unnamable garbage rotting? About 10 years ago, I bought a small jar (I forget which one), and I opened it and sniffed it. I nearly convulsed. A "Aghghgh" sound came out of me. I then wondered had it gone bad? But I think not. I think I simply discovered why many people are repulsed by it. It fucking stinks!
Vegemite is made from Beer.
Literally: salty yeast turds.
(From the Vegemite Marketing Board)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Screencaps are not that hard and would absolve themfrom accusations of exageration.

One year later...

[youtube]4tiPOMd14eQ[/youtube]

franc

Post by franc »

BlogHog block party -

https://twitpic.com/ao8oxi

franc

Post by franc »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Possibly during the 70s it was secular
Well, this is what I think is quite important. If there was a strong secularist presence, and this includes godless cunts like Greer, why isn't this legacy documented and promoted? Really, if it was a real legacy, and promoted as such, it would be nothing but a good thing for subsequent generations. To ignore this kind of history tells me they don't really have any interest in the substance of the movement - which really implies that the current batch of atheismplus morons have no interest in actual promotion of women and are only interested in short term attention seeking tantrums.

Those that neglect history have no right to claim relevance in the present.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:Those that neglect history have no right to claim relevance in the present.
If one is to make such Churchillian pronouncements, one might take pains to get one's grammar correct:
"Those WHO neglect history have no right to claim relevance in the present."
A- for you, young lad.

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:
franc wrote:Those that neglect history have no right to claim relevance in the present.
If one is to make such Churchillian pronouncements, one might take pains to get one's grammar correct:
A- for you, young lad.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

franc wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
A- for you, young lad.
He's super right on that one, though... :D

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Anyway. Jews, schmooze. I think we should turn our Juggernaut of Hate on the Irish.

[youtube]boO4RowROiw[/youtube]

Of course that Mel Brooks would just say it was all a joke, wouldn't he. Typical.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:
Eat a bowl of dick?
(Apart from the notable act that franc resorted to employing a "smilie", I shall happily eat a 'bowl of dick', provided that it is a suspicious French horse's willy, sans garlick, hold the eclairs.)

franc

Post by franc »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:Anyway. Jews, schmooze. I think we should turn our Juggernaut of Hate on the Irish.
Irish. Fucking white arabs. [more grist for Kazez]

AnonymousCowherd

Also, as probably the whitest guy you'll likely meet, I get to have Teh Privilege. So;

Vieux Calvados, gremolata and 70's Prawg Rawk.

Take that, consumers of brown goop vileness various!

AnonymousCowherd

franc wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:Anyway. Jews, schmooze. I think we should turn our Juggernaut of Hate on the Irish.
I think someone (Git?) identified as an Ulsterman. A people named after a raincoat. That can't be bad. Can it?

franc

Post by franc »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
franc wrote:
I think someone (Git?) identified as an Ulsterman. A people named after a raincoat. That can't be bad. Can it?
Proddy/catlick, sunni/shia - white arabs

Notung

Post by Notung »

I don't see the big problem with the CFI article. I agreed with it.

[Am I being brainwashed?]

AnonymousCowherd

Shorter CFi - can't we all be nicer?

No. Just No.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Christ.jpg

franc

Post by franc »

Notung wrote:I don't see the big problem with the CFI article. I agreed with it.

If all you are going to do is appease and seek a middle ground with maniacs who take every concession as an invitation for more outrageous demands, you are better of saying nothing at all. Feeding the terrorists oxygen in the hope they won't be executed - that's CFI. Moral cowardice above and beyond the call of duty.

Geoffrey Falk

Post by Geoffrey Falk »

For Jean Kazez, Surly, and McBoobs. Oh, and the "token male" in the Atheism+ "leadership," Richard Carrier!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ljgs53.png

Entrance to the concentration/crafts camp at Dachau, into which all non-plus Atheists will be herded, after the Feminazis (Paula Kirby’s valid word) stage their putsch … or might they even be elected democratically, in the Jenmar/Amymar Republic? … ushering in one-thousand glorious years of the Third-Wave-Atheism Reich.

Handwerk macht frei: “Craft[work] makes [you] free.”

Free from oppression.

Free from the meritocracy of old, white, privileged males.

Free from reason and skepticism.

“First they came for the Slymepitters, and I did not speak out, because I am not a Slymepitter….”

Notung

Post by Notung »

FFS

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Notung wrote:I don't see the big problem with the CFI article. I agreed with it.

I thought it was about as far as he could go without getting burned at the stake himself.
If you read between the lines he seems to have strong reservations about the whole idea, likening it to a rethread of secular humanism and a part of the whole elevatorgate narrative and associated with one side of that argument.
He's pointed out that the language seems exclusionary rather than inclusive and encouraging of diversity (obviously Richard Carrier's "Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?" speech serves as the perfect example - Are we sure that Carrier isn't doing a Sokal on the FTB's?)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Geoffry Falk, are you going for some sort of "Worst Godwin of the Year" award?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Geoffrey, that image you posted is highly offensive...

...ALL images and likenesses of Rebecca Watson should come with a trigger warning!

:D

franc

Post by franc »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

I thought it was about as far as he could go without getting burned at the stake himself.
He said the equivalent of Anders Breivik "might have anger management issues". Nauseating spectacle of a jellyfish pretending to be a vertebrate.

sacha

Re: laden's brother

Post by sacha »

astrokid.nj wrote:Greg Hampikian is a professor of biology and criminal justice at Boise State University and the director of the Idaho Innocence Project.
Men, Who Needs Them?
If a woman wants to have a baby without a man, she just needs to secure sperm (fresh or frozen) from a donor (living or dead). The only technology the self-impregnating woman needs is a straw or turkey baster, and the basic technique hasn’t changed much since Talmudic scholars debated the religious implications of insemination without sex in the fifth century. If all the men on earth died tonight, the species could continue on frozen sperm. If the women disappear, it’s extinction.

Ultimately the question is, does “mankind” really need men? With human cloning technology just around the corner and enough frozen sperm in the world to already populate many generations, perhaps we should perform a cost-benefit analysis.

It’s true that men have traditionally been the breadwinners. But women have been a majority of college graduates since the 1980s, and their numbers are growing. It’s also true that men have, on average, a bit more muscle mass than women. But in the age of ubiquitous weapons, the one with the better firepower (and knowledge of the law) triumphs.

Meanwhile women live longer, are healthier and are far less likely to commit a violent offense. If men were cars, who would buy the model that doesn’t last as long, is given to lethal incidents and ends up impounded more often?
When I explained this to a female colleague and asked her if she thought that there was yet anything irreplaceable about men, she answered, “They’re entertaining.”
Please euthanise me the day before this begins.

A man wrote this. That is a whole other level of "Gender Traitor", yet another self-hating misandrist. (yes, I realise that he was hypothesizing a future using science-based evidence, as a biologist specialising in genetics, and does not seem to actually be in favour of this dystopia.)

Interestingly, I'm not comfortable with this article printed in a well known mainstream publication with a daily circulation of over a million and a half (http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... criptions/). That is not to say I disagree with it being published, I am in favour of free speech, regardless if my personal comfort level is disturbed.

The New York Times has a significant liberal bias, and because of that, the majority of readers have alliances and sympathies with the left side of the spectrum. Politically correct, middle-class, white Merkins are their target audience, which means that the professional victim gender feminists and their emasculated men are reading the article and receiving a significant amount of confirmation bias.

Greg Hampikian's one line at the end of the article is the only clue that insinuates he is not advocating a world without men. I got the impression that if the idea was not so shocking to a majority of people, he would support it. I may have read it with my anti-feminism bias, it is very possible that I incorrectly read his tone to be apologetic when it was neutral and fact-based.

The idea of men deliberately removed from society is repugnant. I would think that Hampikian would want to make his sentiment extremely clear from the beginning.

Perspective on that?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Za-zen wrote:Where's my fucking southpark pic? I propose from this day forward all pyters must have a southpark character as their profile pic
your proposition is rejected

AnonymousCowherd

I hope you aren't actually worried about these people Geoffrey. They make ugly pendants and dull videos and try to fink on you to your boss. That's it.

Mind you, if PZ ever marches his legions of Sturmer Zebra Fisch into the Rhine Riesling, that's when I'll worry. I hate Riesling with fish.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Michael K Gray wrote:
sacha wrote:...Vegemite and Australian Marmite are weak, watered down pussy versions of the British Marmite, which is far stronger and more powerful.
We have the gen-wine British Ma-might (and the defunct Par-will [seriously]) on our stupermarket shelves in the "Exotic Aisle", along with Tierra-del-Fuegan Kim-chee, Venezuelan Beaver Cheese, Ceylonese purple Saffron, and Indian Cornish Pasties.
DownThunder wrote:...F U and your gender dichotomy. I was raised on promite until the patriarchy coerced me into performing masculinity by eating vegemite.
[Best Arnie voice¹]
You are a girly-men, no?
Only Lesbians lick Pro-might.

Therefore, by dint of Dick Carrier's illogical silly-jism, you are permanently branded as a LESBIAN!!

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: As I mentioned before, I did and I prefered it to the original. Acquiered taste, maybe...
I missed that, cranky one

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

sacha wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Where's my fucking southpark pic? I propose from this day forward all pyters must have a southpark character as their profile pic
your proposition is rejected
Too much objectification :p

sacha

Post by sacha »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:70's Prawg Rawk.
ooh. I have an extensive collection of Prog from 1970-1972. That's my music.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

sacha wrote:
Mine too. 1970-72 was pretty much the classic period (you only have to look at the discogs of Yes and Genesis in those years), although I will take those two bands as far as 1974. It's said that a reaction to the excesses of progressive rock fuelled the punk revolution in the UK, but I disagree: it was MOR rock and pop shite and novelty records what did it. It's not as if yer average sprog-turned-punk was being inundated by prog rock.

franc

Post by franc »

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:
sacha wrote:
Mine too. 1970-72 was pretty much the classic period (you only have to look at the discogs of Yes and Genesis in those years), although I will take those two bands as far as 1974. It's said that a reaction to the excesses of progressive rock fuelled the punk revolution in the UK, but I disagree: it was MOR rock and pop shite and novelty records what did it. It's not as if yer average sprog-turned-punk was being inundated by prog rock.
Cunts. I am now extracting Tangerine Dream from The Keep -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085780/

Best.Soundtrack.Ever.

gooby

Re: laden's brother

Post by gooby »

sacha wrote:A man wrote this. That is a whole other level of "Gender Traitor", yet another self-hating misandrist. (yes, I realise that he was hypothesizing a future using science-based evidence, as a biologist specialising in genetics, and does not seem to actually be in favour of this dystopia.)
For my part, I'm in favor of a world without men or, for that matter, women. While I'm not a big fan of evolutionary psychology (you can see that from some of my other few posts here), I wouldn't contest the claim that evolution has built suboptimal beings of either sex who don't seem at all adequately equipped to deal with the challenges of the future.

It's time to start moving past this unnecessary distinction.

franc

Post by franc »

franc wrote:Cunts. I am now extracting Tangerine Dream from The Keep -

Best.Soundtrack.Ever.
Stoner is Kyuss for most folks. And they are awesome. But Tangerine Dream started it.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Late to the ball. If that's meant to be Queen Bee the hair colour's way out of date. Already been done on page 74

http://www.picvalley.net/u/2796/1657604 ... Id9gkd.JPG

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

bhoytony wrote:
Late to the ball. If that's meant to be Queen Bee the hair colour's way out of date. Already been done on page 74

http://www.picvalley.net/u/2796/1657604 ... Id9gkd.JPG
But you're also out of date!
She's gone green!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dick Strawkins wrote:[
She's gone green!
Still looked a hideous blue to me on that Googleplus hangout nonsense.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

bhoytony wrote:
She's gone green!
I'll take your word for it, I'm not going back to check!

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

bhoytony wrote:
She's gone green!
I'd say it's more of a greenish teal...

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

ERV wrote:
That is just superb!

Can I request more of these? With the dumb shit McCreight/Christina/Watson et ass said with crosses over the mouths of the great voices in atheism? Even some of their dumbshit stuff about gender traitors over womens mouths?
Didn't think these needed a quote. But if anyone can think of a good one (or any others and I'll see if I can whip something up with them).
http://i.imgur.com/oKFHP.jpg

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

JackRayner wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
She's gone green!
sorry, I'm a man. My eyes don't recognise teal, only green and blue.

Git

Post by Git »

rayshul wrote:http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4041/southparkme.jpg

I totally made myself. Because I'm procrastinating.
Actually, to be fair, it looks more like you're constipating. Eat more fibre!

Git

Post by Git »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
franc wrote:
Jawohl. Of the British+Irish sect though. Though I've lived in Engerland for the last two decades.

Git

Post by Git »

franc wrote:Cunts. I am now extracting Tangerine Dream from The Keep -

Best.Soundtrack.Ever.
No need. PM me. I have....ahem, you know what I mean.

Also, Sabbath = best band ever.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

bhoytony wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
She's gone green!
sorry, I'm a man. My eyes don't recognise teal, only green and blue.
Since I don't have a girlfriend to ban me from the internet, you're gonna have to put up with my sobbing now...

Just you wait! The tears are on their way...

Any moment now...

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Fascinating stuff. It's even been published in the scientific literature!
In August 1988, an estimated 3,175 women who attended a 5-day outdoor music festival in Michigan became ill with gastroenteritis caused by Shigella sonnei. Onset of illness peaked 2 days after the festival ended, and patients were spread throughout the United States by the time the outbreak was recognized. An uncooked tofu salad served on the last day was implicated as the outbreak vehicle (odds ratio = 3.4, p <0.0001). Over 2,000 volunteer food handlers prepared the communal meals served during the festival. This large foodborne outbreak had been heralded by a smaller outbreak of shigellosis among staff shortly before the festival began and by continued transmission of shigellosis from staff to attendees during the festival. S. sonnei isolated from women who became ill before, during, and after the festival had identical antimicrobial susceptibility patterns and plasmid profiles, limited access to soap and running water for handwashing was one of the few sanitary deficits noted at this gathering. This investigation demonstrates the need for surveillance and prompt public health intervention when Shigella infections are recognized in persons attending mass outdoor gatherings, the singular importance of handwashing in reducing secondary transmission of shigellosis, and the potential for explosive outbreaks when communal meals are prepared by large numbers of food handlers.
We left before the last day (Sunday), but word was all around the festival by maybe Thursday, probably because of the staff having it first. The rows of Porta-Janes (yes, we actually called them that) had new buckets of bleachy water for rinsing ones hands around in afterwards, which they never used to have. Gross, that was my last year going there.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:If Marmite and Vegemite are made from yeast, why does it smell like fish and unnamable garbage rotting? About 10 years ago, I bought a small jar (I forget which one), and I opened it and sniffed it. I nearly convulsed. A "Aghghgh" sound came out of me. I then wondered had it gone bad? But I think not. I think I simply discovered why many people are repulsed by it. It fucking stinks!
Vegemite is made from Beer.
Literally: salty yeast turds.
(From the Vegemite Marketing Board)
Beer made from rotting fish and body odor of a sick person?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

franc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Possibly during the 70s it was secular
Well, this is what I think is quite important. If there was a strong secularist presence, and this includes godless cunts like Greer, why isn't this legacy documented and promoted? Really, if it was a real legacy, and promoted as such, it would be nothing but a good thing for subsequent generations. To ignore this kind of history tells me they don't really have any interest in the substance of the movement - which really implies that the current batch of atheismplus morons have no interest in actual promotion of women and are only interested in short term attention seeking tantrums.

Those that neglect history have no right to claim relevance in the present.
I don't think they were all that interested in atheism for the most part. Feminist first, everything else second. Some, like Mary Daly are full blown christians. Gale Dines is jewish, and I don't think she's given it up for atheism.

In the 80s, I had friends trying to talk me into joining the MCC Church here in Toronto which accepts gays ("but I don't believe in god" "yeah, but they accept gays" "yeah, but I DON'T believe in gods"). The only anti-religious stances were taken by those who hated the misogyny in the Abrahamic religions, but half of those would swear by their weekly tarot readings and spirit guides of feminine energy who were always with them. Many embraced some type of wicca or pagan rituals. I even went to some stupid ritual or whatthefuck held by the Occult Shop here in Toronto (wondering if they still exist, must google), as I had a few friends involved with them. During my radfem years, another religion came into play. A number of feminists were being recruited to that idiotic type of buddhism where they chant all fucking day, something that sounds like "numb yoyos...", so I call them the Numb Yoyos. I think their sect was called something like Nishiren Shoshu? They grabbed up a number of women and converted them all into being buddhist first and everything else second.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Scented Nectar wrote: Beer made from rotting fish and body odor of a sick person?
Ah, I see you've had a taste of Shipstones Bitter.