Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Michael K Gray

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Michael K Gray »

gooby wrote:If you're gonna portray yourself as a "true skeptic"...
But: you see, I do not forward myself as a "true skeptic".
And I shall leave to other readers to determine as to our respective bona fides.

I hereby terminate our intercourse.
Not on the basis of your chronic faux juvenile, nay: puerile¹ protestations that I "have won", which I shan't accept as entirely sincere, (even though they may well plausibly be, one never knows), but on the basis that I do not have the time to waste on recidivist wankers.

My cast-irony Soviet era Bullshit-detector is peaking at 7 and a half Sagans.

I propose to not interact with you further², as interaction seems rather less than fruitful at this juncture, but I wish you well in your Kampf, nonetheless.
Others, apart from you or I, shall have to judge as to whose style they prefer between us.

papillon

Post by papillon »

rayshul wrote::geek:

Re Altair's earlier comments and quotes...

Was watching an episode of Elementary where they had an AA meeting.

The telling of the life stories, talking to an audience, revealing shit, etc, is very much what A+ forums seems to do.
" - Hmm, thank you. Thank you for sharing that raysul. Now, would anyone else like to share their story?"
*nervously clears throat* .... My name is papillon and I'm riddled with guilt about my privilege
" - Thank you papillon, acknowledgement is often the hardest step. Would you like a biscuit?"
Are they ethically produced free trade ones?
"- Yes, of course"
Er, no thank you, I'll stick with the Lark's tongues. I'm having dinner with the Patriarchy after this.
" - Oh, ok, so next up is Rebecca, and she's going to talk about how oppressed her vagina is.."

gooby

Post by gooby »

Michael K Gray wrote:
gooby wrote:If you're gonna portray yourself as a "true skeptic"...
But: you see, I do not forward myself as a "true skeptic".
And I shall leave to other readers to determine as to our respective bona fides.

I hereby terminate our intercourse.
Not on the basis of your chronic faux juvenile, nay: puerile¹ protestations that I "have won", which I shan't accept as entirely sincere, (even though they may well plausibly be, one never knows), but on the basis that I do not have the time to waste on recidivist wankers.

My cast-irony Soviet era Bullshit-detector is peaking at 7 and a half Sagans.

I propose to not interact with you further², as interaction seems rather less than fruitful at this juncture, but I wish you well in your Kampf, nonetheless.
Others, apart from you or I, shall have to judge as to whose style they prefer between us.
  • You tell me that the research I'm referring to is "psychobabble" without no real reason why.
  • I point out how the O-LIFE inventory stands up very well to validity measures, has generated testable predictions across multiple domains, etc. and how neural, directly physical correlates of creativity as psychoticism pan out as expected by theory, etc., etc., etc.!
  • In response, you don't address this or anything else I presented—in considerable detail!—but instead come up with this hoity-toity horseshit about how you have the high ground and oh my what riff-raff you are and basically declare yourself the winner by default, as far as I can tell.
Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?

gooby

Post by gooby »

*with no real reason

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:In Dutch, the equivalent of an asshole (male only) is ‘klootzak’ (scrotum), and to indicate in a rude way that something is of poor quality, the prefix ‘klote’ (derived from testicle) is often attached to a noun. For example, ‘klotefiets’ is something you may shout to your bicycle (‘fiets’) when you have a punctured tyre. ‘Kut’ can be used in the same way (‘kutfiets’), but is considered somewhat ruder. The female equivalent of ‘klootzak’ (asshole) would be ‘klotewijf’ (‘wijf’ is a rude form of ‘woman’, almost equivalent to bitch), while ‘kutwijf’ is even more offensive. So there may be some gender inequality in play.
Dat is je mannelijke privilege wordt onthuld.
Michael, did you use Google Translate? Your Dutch is ungrammatical, but I suppose you wanted to say, 'That is your male privilege showing.'

Now where did I hear that one before?

papillon

Post by papillon »

rayshul wrote::geek:

Re Altair's earlier comments and quotes...

Was watching an episode of Elementary where they had an AA meeting.

The telling of the life stories, talking to an audience, revealing shit, etc, is very much what A+ forums seems to do.
[youtube]0AgZwHIsH-E[/youtube]

gooby

Post by gooby »

lol naive use of Google Translate as well

what a fucking wanker

mikelf unplugged

Post by mikelf unplugged »

gooby wrote: Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?
He said that he terminated your intercourse. Your continued responding to him is an act of rape.

/baboolie

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?[/quote]

I think it's above anything else off topic. Let's not turn this site into the equivalent of PZ's Thunderdome, that wellspring of pointless BS.

gooby

Post by gooby »

Well, framed in those terms, it could be said on the other hand that he was acting like Twatson.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jan Steen wrote:Michael, did you use Google Translate? Your Dutch is ungrammatical, but I suppose you wanted to say, 'That is your male privilege showing.'
Yes, mea culpa. My usual 'go to' Dutch translator has 'gone to meet the choir invisible', and thus the resort to Google.
Son of a decorated war-hero. Michelson.
He told me about the unpronounceable accent 'shibboleth' word that the Dutch underground used during WW2.
Used to reliably distinguish a true Nederlander from a Nazi imposter.
I'll remember the word in a while.
And not "vriend". I am sure that it was longer than that.

Oh yes! It was "Scheveningen"!
I pride myself on my mimicry, but my attempts to reproduce it in front of an all Dutch family had them in laughing-fitd to the point of collapse.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'd rather drink myself to death than go to a AA meeting.

Gooby: you should try to get more familiar with Michael and his views on philosophy and such. He's certainly not a wanker, by any shade of perception. The way I see it, your initial post about this topic was a bit too general. Yes, there are, and have been, and will be, great scientists who are also loons (mostly about fields other than their own). Einstein would be a good exemple, as he spent his last years barefoot to "toughen up" for the oncoming nuclear winter.

Still, your phrasology and choices of terms sound a bit Tuppak Sha...err Deepak Chopra. Not an assessment of your character, maybe more one of my inability to read correctly, or Michael's Asperger.

Why the fuck am I getting into these discussions I don't care about?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Hey, that's where my grand-father used to have his movie-subtitles factory. He taught Paul Verhoeven how to use an edit table. I went there almost every summer when I was about 7/8. The Pier was my favorite place.

What do you mean "who cares"?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Michael, did you use Google Translate? Your Dutch is ungrammatical, but I suppose you wanted to say, 'That is your male privilege showing.'
Yes, mea culpa. My usual 'go to' Dutch translator has 'gone to meet the choir invisible', and thus the resort to Google.
Son of a decorated war-hero. Michelson.
He told me about the unpronounceable accent 'shibboleth' word that the Dutch underground used during WW2.
Used to reliably distinguish a true Nederlander from a Nazi imposter.
I'll remember the word in a while.
And not "vriend". I am sure that it was longer than that.

I pride myself on my mimicry, but my attempts to reproduce it in front of an all Dutch family had them in laughing-fitd to the point of collapse.
Yes, it was 'Scheveningen' (name of a place near The Hague). Had I been a member of the Dutch resistance, I would have chosen the far more difficult 'Oegstgeest' (name of a place near Leiden), which would have betrayed even the most cunning Gestapo spy.

But I should not get off-topic myself now, that would be A+ grade hypocrisy.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Mykeru

Excellent vids! 'Somewhere, a cat is going unfed.' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Not "every summer", "all summer".

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Why the fuck am I getting into these discussions I don't care about?
Erm, because you are a French Con, with all of the impulsive romance that such a situation entails...
Pro, or Con?
As we south-easterners opine.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I can quite honestly say that I have never had a 'meh' moment quite like it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Why the fuck am I getting into these discussions I don't care about?
Erm, because you are a French Con, with all of the impulsive romance that such a situation entails...
Pro, or Con?
I'm a certified pro con.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x78/ ... garble.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:...movie-subtitles factory...
I can see it now: A Warner Brothers' Bugs Bunny stamping production-lion.
(Cue 'powerhouse' music)
[youtube]r3FLN0iQ9SQ[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Peezee thinks Felix Baumgart-erm, thingy's jump was just a colossal stunt, in this post titled 'The Big Stunt' (hmmm): http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... big-stunt/

Which is fair enough - own opinions and all that. However, this bit stuck out somewhat:
It was a spectacular act of bravery, but it was also little more than a colossal stunt and a $10 million advertising gimmick for Red Bull.
Well, I kind of have to agree. I mean, where's the conceptual link with 'Red Bull Gives You Wings' and a guy falling to earth while rapidly not flapping? It almost reminds me of an atheist/skeptic blog carrying ads for religion, or something.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I think you need to grow a thicker skin if you plan to hang out here...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tigzy wrote:Peezee thinks Felix Baumgart-erm, thingy's jump was just a colossal stunt
It is fortunate that PeeZed is not prone to Spoonerisms, then?

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Mykeru wrote:
i do hope you are a rich man Mykeru, that's another bloody keyboard that met it's end due to Tea being rained down upon it!

:D

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

According to my stat tracker with horrific rounding this thread receives 8 posts/hour and a post appears on average every 8 minutes.

I like coincidences

The A+ forums however are getting a whole 13 posts per hour or a post every 4 minutes.

Weird huh?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Lsuoma wrote:I think you need to grow a thicker skin if you plan to hang out here...
I can hear the ghost of Sacha now, imploring we Delphic listeners to her sage words of prognostication, as they waft o'er the stygian fumes of the pits of Hades. Imploring we mortal folk to step back from the abyss.
The abyss that is the fear of all piscines: That of being hooked by the bait of a fishing troller.
My untersee sonar hath shown me the the location of a shoal of the common pretentious wankerfish.

welch

Post by welch »

Just get to the make up sex already.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Pro, or Con?
I'm a certified pro con.
Whereas my partner has been the exact reverse.
Funny game, eh?

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:Peezee thinks Felix Baumgart-erm, thingy's jump was just a colossal stunt, in this post titled 'The Big Stunt' (hmmm): http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... big-stunt/

Which is fair enough - own opinions and all that. However, this bit stuck out somewhat:
It was a spectacular act of bravery, but it was also little more than a colossal stunt and a $10 million advertising gimmick for Red Bull.
Well, I kind of have to agree. I mean, where's the conceptual link with 'Red Bull Gives You Wings' and a guy falling to earth while rapidly not flapping? It almost reminds me of an atheist/skeptic blog carrying ads for religion, or something.
Thus far, i've yet to see criticisms of Stratos that didn't center, ultimately around one thing:

It's bad because it was sponsored by red bull

So, I suppose if I live long enough to see Virgin Galactic's orbital trips come down in price enough for the proles, all the people kvetching about Red Bull sponsoring this will of course, refrain from riding in such a thing, as it will be naught but a crass commercial venture.

Which is fine, more room for me.

If the best objection you can come up with is who sponsored it? Really?

Spence

Post by Spence »

Gotta say, on this one, MKG is pretty much spot on as usual. When someone starts waving around psychometric tests as "evidence", my bullshit meter asplodes in an array of beautiful colours.

Probably something to do with all of that science schooling that I dun and went through, just prior to going crazy. ;)

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

SPACKlick wrote:According to my stat tracker with horrific rounding this thread receives 8 posts/hour and a post appears on average every 8 minutes.

I like coincidences

The A+ forums however are getting a whole 13 posts per hour or a post every 4 minutes.

Weird huh?
Wollybumblee is starting to put together some actual stats for the A+ forums. she was tweeting on it last evening.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

welch wrote:Just get to the make up sex already.
I know that I am going to regret this enquiry, but how does one have sex with cosmetics?
Brings a hole new meaning to lip-stick.
But what of the perversion of BABY POWDER?!!
Eye-shadow I can tolerate, lurking in there, pretending to be PZ, with his kreepy "hat" and all.
But, (and here come to the nasty-kosmetix) CHAP-STICK!!

I mean, Errr yuckeroonie! Gag me with a coke spoon!

Spence

Post by Spence »

welch wrote:If the best objection you can come up with is who sponsored it? Really?
Yah, it's all those eeeevil corporations, being all corporation-y and stuff. If you're lucky, Becky will refer to Monsanto again.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Peezee thinks Felix Baumgart-erm, thingy's jump was just a colossal stunt
It is fortunate that PeeZed is not prone to Spoonerisms, then?
:clap:

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

gooby wrote:[Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?
I was quite enjoying it actually, but then I am a Psychology grad.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tigzy wrote:Peezee thinks Felix Baumgart-erm, thingy's jump was just a colossal stunt, in this post titled 'The Big Stunt' (hmmm): http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... big-stunt/

What the fuck is Myers' expertise on skydiving? This at least is a field I could take him up to task with.

Beardman, shut the fuck up on things you "don't get".

Thanks.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

soldierwhy wrote:... but then I am a Psychology grad.
Engineering Grad

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:What the fuck is Myers' expertise on skydiving? This at least is a field I could take him up to task with.
Phil. Oh phil.
Paul knows more about military parachuting than you might ever perceive from your narrow male non-Beccy bias.
For: PeeZed has survived a freefall from the top'o'the heap, very near a stellar Sam Harris altitude, and plumetted to a record-breaking 235 metres UNDERGROUND!!!
And survived! (Barely)

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Philip of Tealand

welch wrote:

Thus far, i've yet to see criticisms of Stratos that didn't center, ultimately around one thing:

It's bad because it was sponsored by red bull

So, I suppose if I live long enough to see Virgin Galactic's orbital trips come down in price enough for the proles, all the people kvetching about Red Bull sponsoring this will of course, refrain from riding in such a thing, as it will be naught but a crass commercial venture.

Which is fine, more room for me.

If the best objection you can come up with is who sponsored it? Really?
I've posted something on Pharyngula, I wonder how long it will take me to get banned!

I'm very impressed with this feat - a man, with the aid of all science could muster, managed to be lifted up into space by a balloon, leap out, fall faster than the speed of sound and land on the ground safely.

I couldn't give a shit about Red Bull, I'm more interested in what actually happened!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:What do you mean "who cares"?
I take it that you are self-recursing?

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Engineering Grad
No need to be so obtuse...

I'll get my coat.

Philip of Tealand

I see you and young Mykeru are intent on destroying my entire office's supply of keyboards, damn you both and your trousers for being so funny!

:D

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

soldierwhy wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Engineering Grad
I'm replying COS I can.
Your reply gave me acute pane, and I am running a fever of over 90 degrees!
But I'll be right in a minute...

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Michael K Gray wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Engineering Grad
I'm replying COS I can.
I found it impossible to not call you out on your SIN.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Some of you may want to listen to this

http://angryatheist.info/?p=937

ERV on The Angry Atheist podcast

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

As I said on FB-- RedBull has turned my caffeine addiction (and many others) + a world-wide fad into something pretty damn cool. And they were doing it long before Felixs jump--

RedBull sponsors all kinds of athletes, extremely talented ones that dont get the kind of recognition/salaries/sponsorships someone in say, the NBA gets. Im sure many of those folks could not afford to pursue their passions if it were not for RedBull.

RedBull also has a record label, giving opportunities to 'less mainstream' artists, giving them, ironically, a means to 'get famous'. One of my favorite recent musical artists is AWOLNATION, and I fucking LOVE 'Sail'. I love the shit out of that song, I dont care how many BMW commercials they 'sell out' to.

And, even if Felixs jump is 'just a stunt', it is also a 'teachable moment'. For instance, why the hell didnt he burn up? Well? I mean remember all the shit about space shuttle tiles being missing/loose and blowing up space craft on re-entry? Space-junk falling to Earth and burning up on reentry? Why the hell didnt Felix burn up as he fell?

Well unlike PZ, some Science Bloggers fucking write about SCIENCE and have answered that question.

I am happy with what RedBull has done with the profits from my purchases. And I am happy to support corporations that do things other than 'pay the CEO more' with their profits. What the fuck does Apple do with your iPad money, PZ, except not pay kids a living wage?

God he is such a fucking douche-bag.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Reap wrote:Some of you may want to listen to this

Starts out a little slow because I didnt know he was recording.

LOL!!!

Reap

Post by Reap »

ERV wrote:

Starts out a little slow because I didnt know he was recording.

LOL!!!
watta you talking about??! That shit is smooth, how many people can make google+ interesting?

papillon

Post by papillon »

Martin Wagner's comment:
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 7b1068.jpg
PZ's trying so hard to be contrarian, but he's crippled by his correctness, so he resorts to petty bitching instead.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Spence wrote:Probably something to do with all of that science schooling that I dun and went through, just prior to going crazy. ;)
Spence, oh Spency-baby: You mis-spelled "prolly".
Ya nose, we had high hopes for youse.
But youse had to get youse spelling all fancy-schmancy, eh??
You know what dat means to da family, eh?
Here's dis revolver. Do da right 'ting.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dilurk wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Engineering Grad
I'm replying COS I can.
I found it impossible to not call you out on your SIN.
That's only because of my adorable TAN.

Michael K Gray

Caffiene

Post by Michael K Gray »

In 100 year's time, Caffeine addiction will be treated in the same manner as is nicotine addiction.
Caffeine remains the only ADDICTIVE mind-altering drug that is mandatorily provided free of charge in most workplaces.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Listening now. Learning shit about HIV. Imagine that...

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Id just like to point out, google plus is feckin awesome - you facebook heathens

cunt

Post by cunt »

This podcast and then the Mykeru videos. It's like christmas or something.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Listening now, Abbie is cracking me up. What was it she said about a dark cavernous place? :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

The highest I've ever jumped was 6000m, about 1:45 minutes freefall. We had oxygen in the plane, but not enough masks for everyone to have constant O² input. I ended up jumping in a slight state of epoxy and didn't enjoy the jump much. The program was freefly, but instead I just stayed belling falling and watching my altimeter.

What Felix did is interesting in many ways, with regards to physiology, physics, aerodynamics...etc.

Myers should shut his trap.