Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Tigzy »

Za-zen wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:PZ Myers face...I didn't notice how fat it was. What does his wife look like? And what the fuck is she thinking anyway? thunderf00t should make another video. Right now.
I call bullshit. I smelt it ten posts ago, now i can see it.
Yup.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

decius wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
decius wrote: You're right, I don't know much and don't particularly care.
I agree with the first two statements, but the third is kind of belied by your posting.
Since we have been treated to a large deal of MRA propaganda, lately, forgive me for being mildly critical in return. Should I read from the "movement's" breviary, instead?
I am not aware of a MRM 101 like Feminism 101 that I could point you to. Hmmmm. Sounds like a good parody project for SomeGreyBloke.

I wonder if I could interest him?

(I know some other MRAs do not appreciate my sense of humor, and one day they are going to come for me about it, but fuck that noize, I like to think I have no sacred cows).

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Za-zen wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:PZ Myers face...I didn't notice how fat it was. What does his wife look like? And what the fuck is she thinking anyway? thunderf00t should make another video. Right now.
I'm with you on that one. Eucli is a blatant troll. Well done Eucliwood but the game's up.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Za-zen wrote:
And it's wearing a Christmas hat!

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:
welch wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:And stop twisting a suggestion to someone that actually has POWER here as telling "you guys" how to run your show. Yes, you're members here, but I really don't consider you guys to be running anything if all you have is posting privileges. I've never seen people twist a suggestion of a feature that doesn't work for a forum into something so damn dramatic is "omg, a new guy is coming here TELLING US HOW TO RUN OUR SHOW DESPITE THE FACT THAT US PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT ARENT EVEN THE ONES WHO DESIGN THE FORUM. OMG SHE SAID EDITING WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA."Also the fact that I'm new has shit to do with it. If I was "old" and said it, would it be taken less offensively, and if so, uh, why?

Even people at Atheism fucking +, kings and queens of twisting shit into some unspeakable crime, don't twist a suggestion of a new rule or feature as "telling the regulars of the forum -who have no power to implement such things- how to run 'their' show." Simply state that editing hasn't worked for this forum, and get over it. Geez. Don't take it as some attack or criticism on everyone that goes here. Wtf.

If that was telling you how to run your show then writing the prez for a simple bill proposal on one topic is like telling the entire country how the country in general should be run. Bill proposals have nothing to do with what I can do, so when people write with ones I dont like, I dont start bitching and acting like they're telling me what to do as if Im even in the government. I dont start acting like one simple proposal is telling the government how to their shit in general, either.
I don't speak drama-ese. Did that have:

A point?

Grammar?

Some form of structure?
Ah, nice one. Calling a rebuttal to a dramatic reaction drama. It wasn't even to you, so I don't see why the point concerns you. The point is a rebuttal to the dramatic point he had. Clearly.
Oh still acting like you're back in A+?

Bless your heart

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Tigzy wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Yup.
I think this is the first time I commented on his face. But here's the shit you ordered. :hankey:

Darren

Post by Darren »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Has anybody discussed the possibility of an "Edit" button recently?
No, I don't believe so. :whistle:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey Guise? Anyone want an...

...Edit button?

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
I'm with you on that one. Eucli is a blatant troll. Well done Eucliwood but the game's up.
Wow, seriously? Calling me a TROLL? How the fuck am I a troll just because..well I don't even know what YOUR complaint about me is.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

In spite of the recent feces-flinging revelations and attempted medical pledge-athons, I can't dismiss Ed Brayton entirely, because he still posts some excellent and on point stuff:
Atheism is growing in this country, but the growth is mostly among younger people. Surveys show that older people are far more likely to believe in God than younger people, which, I’m sorry to say had never occurred to me, almost certainly means that older atheists are more likely to face hostility among their social group than younger people are. A PBS station in California has a report on the matter.
We put a lot of focus on helping younger people organize secular student groups and the like. I think we should put some focus on helping older atheists do the same thing as well.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... -it-worse/

I don't think I've seen any of the other FtBers or Baboons ever bring up this topic (correct me if I'm wrong, of course). Yet it's an important issue for the broader A/S community, and worthy of discussion and advocacy.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:I received an email from the JREF forum and apparently if I donate lots of money I get to own one of these... Is this a Surlyramic?
Yes.

Oh FFS. So much for my hopes that JREF had wisened up about those morons.
As far as I know, DJ Grothe actually lives in the same apartment building as Amy Roth Davis.
Well she used to, until Justin 'the c(o)unt' Vacula doxxed her! and she had to move away.
:character-count:

Darren

Post by Darren »

jjbinx007 wrote:I received an email from the JREF forum and apparently if I donate lots of money I get to own one of these... Is this a Surlyramic?
They claim it is, but... I've heard there's counterfeit Sulry-Ramics doing the rounds.

She needs to add a hologram or something so we can see if it's real or not.

Also, Mr. Hankey:

:hankey:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Eucliwood wrote:
Darren wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:Content free crap such as? (Can someone do me a favor and ask what he means)?
He means all you're doing is posting META.

Seriously, I wasn't going to say anything since everybody else was already dogpiling, but I've just waded through two and a half pages of meta-discussion about edit buttons and ignore lists... WTF?
Now, having done my bit to contribute to the problem, I'm going back to page whateveritis I was on.
Darren, it was a simple suggestion and people kept bringing it up. It takes two (or more) to tango, so please stop acting like its my fault that a long discussion ensued about editting, etc. I said the edit thing cos people started complaining about my post count. I said if I could edit stuff, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. After being explained why to, I didnt keep proposing it, and I took back my proposals of chat and editting, yet conversation still went on.

So instead of addressing shit to me, why not tell everyone not to talk so long about it?
First of all a somewhat belated “welcome aboard” in spite of me being the person that at least Tigzy if not your mother warned you about – possibly because I’ll defend the devil [or oolon] him/her/zir/self, at least for awhile.

And I can sympathize with your plaint summarized by your “two to tango” comment – in part because I’ve been in similar situations as has Noelplum on Pharyngula: taking an unpopular position tends to cause some dogpiling – N responses to one post – which periodically then necessitates a further N responses to each of those responses by the person dogpiled which then produces N-squared responses which … things rapidly get out of hand.

And I can sympathize with your going “meta” (in Darren’s characterization) – stepping back from a process of going in circles, I find, tends to be the most effective way of stopping.

However, you might want to consider some of the points presented, notably about the issue of edit buttons: that you yourself would never ever edit one of your posts to put you in a better light after the fact hardly justifies concluding that everyone else would be so high-minded.

Also, as a suggestion, you might want to consider editing some of what you’re quoting and commenting on, not all of which is likely to be particularly relevant to the comment ….

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Eucliwood wrote: Even people at Atheism fucking +, kings and queens of twisting shit into some unspeakable crime, don't twist a suggestion of a new rule or feature as "telling the regulars of the forum -who have no power to implement such things- how to run 'their' show." Simply state that editing hasn't worked for this forum, and get over it. Geez. Don't take it as some attack or criticism on everyone that goes here. Wtf.
Did you post under the same username at the A plus forum? Because, when they see you posting over here, they may be pretty ticked off and ban you.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh, this is gonna be good! :popcorn:

dinkum

Post by dinkum »

Git wrote:If that's your little fuzzy friend, then its an awesome beast. More kitteh avatars please, else Sacha's flocks of carrion will take over teh pit.
I passed your compliments on to the mistress and she indicated that she was well aware, thank you, and that I'm going to be partially flayed if i don't make with dinner right feckin' now. All in all, a positive response. She usually just screams and leaps.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tigzy wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Yup.
That little trap didn't take long to emerge, did it? :D

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

mikelf wrote:
Eucliwood wrote: Even people at Atheism fucking +, kings and queens of twisting shit into some unspeakable crime, don't twist a suggestion of a new rule or feature as "telling the regulars of the forum -who have no power to implement such things- how to run 'their' show." Simply state that editing hasn't worked for this forum, and get over it. Geez. Don't take it as some attack or criticism on everyone that goes here. Wtf.
Did you post under the same username at the A plus forum?
Or did you use the name Simple Flower?
:character-jason:

Darren

Post by Darren »

RichardReed84 wrote:Thought I'd post in the famous "undead thread".
Hi, RichardReed84 (if that is your real name). What's up with your twitter? Been suspended for the past 12 hours or so. Have you contested it?
Is that how this thread works?
You're doing better than some of our other n00bs ;)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Eucliwood wrote:The video is perf <33333

Yes, there is misogyny going on, they just don't REALIZE IT. And it's their job to make sure women feel like they're in danger and have to go with a buddy everywhere. As for "creating a sexualized environment", isn't that what people who also tell women what to wear saying it'll get them RAPED say? Oh yes, if they wear 'sexualized' clothes they'll get everyone sexually harassed. The misogynists just won't be able to keep their hands off them.
It's burkas for anyone.

FUCK YEAH SKEPTICISM!

At this point, after the obscene LACK of any genuine sexual harrassment incidents (except that one wot someone forgot to even report), this whole thing is becoming fucking hysterical.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Spence wrote:Surely people aren't getting triggered by Mr Hankey?

"Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo, Small and brown he comes from you, Sit on the toilet here he comes, Squeeze him 'tween your festive buns"

One option would be to replace it with Mykeru's picture. Not the smiley version either, but the actual photo.
Damn, I forgot to make festive buns for Crassmas this year.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:Oh, this is gonna be good! :popcorn:
[youtube]d0wu1aj3X4M[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:Hey Guise? Anyone want an...

[...]

...Edit button?
No. Please help keep me honest. :) An edit button would lower the credibility of every post here. No one would know which are originals and which have had things memory holed.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Yup.
That little trap didn't take long to emerge, did it? :D
Well I tried the bomb squad approach to dealing with a bomb that won't be easy to diffuse: blow it up with another bomb.

So far I think it's been working nicely. Good work everyone. :clap:

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

rayshul wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:The video is perf <33333

Yes, there is misogyny going on, they just don't REALIZE IT. And it's their job to make sure women feel like they're in danger and have to go with a buddy everywhere. As for "creating a sexualized environment", isn't that what people who also tell women what to wear saying it'll get them RAPED say? Oh yes, if they wear 'sexualized' clothes they'll get everyone sexually harassed. The misogynists just won't be able to keep their hands off them.
It's burkas for anyone.

FUCK YEAH SKEPTICISM!

At this point, after the obscene LACK of any genuine sexual harrassment incidents (except that one wot someone forgot to even report), this whole thing is becoming fucking hysterical.
I can start sexually harassing people if it will help. There's some damned attractive people here at the Pit, it would be such a chore to sexually harass them... Just sayin'.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, it may just be a coincidence - unfortunate for AchronTimeless if so - but they and Eucliwood are posting from geographically close IPs from the same ISP. Smelling a big juicy one here...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Scented Nectar wrote: That little trap didn't take long to emerge, did it? :D
Dick Strawkins wrote: Or did you use the name Simple Flower?
I take it all back. There is a god.

Git

Post by Git »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Maximus wrote:LOL, I was wondering what the originals/longtimers thought of steersman. He seems..... wordy.
For what it's worth I like the old bugger. Sure, he may argue that water is in fact dry but meh.... Sometimes he actually makes you rethink a position.
I'm the same. Count me in the "we're better off with Steers" faction.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
mikelf wrote:
Did you post under the same username at the A plus forum?
Or did you use the name Simple Flower?
I wasn't aware that "Eucliwood" was a username there. They're probably going to get instabanned for being a troll once one of them finds out "Eucliwood" is a name here, since they like to jump the gun. I posted under a medicinal name.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm interested to know about the sexism I'm missing. I hope this isn't shit like guys letting me out elevator doors first. Because fuck, that needs to KEEP HAPPENING. Do you know how fucked up it is when you go for the door and someone else goes for the door and it becomes a big door fight and then you're like aw no you go and they're like aw no you go... THIS IS A PROBLEM CHIVALRY CAN SOLVE. (Well, partly.)

People die in elevators all the time, guyz. Think of the children.

I might need sleep.

dinkum

Post by dinkum »

BarnOwl wrote:In spite of the recent feces-flinging revelations and attempted medical pledge-athons, I can't dismiss Ed Brayton entirely, because he still posts some excellent and on point stuff:
Atheism is growing in this country, but the growth is mostly among younger people. Surveys show that older people are far more likely to believe in God than younger people, which, I’m sorry to say had never occurred to me, almost certainly means that older atheists are more likely to face hostility among their social group than younger people are. A PBS station in California has a report on the matter.
We put a lot of focus on helping younger people organize secular student groups and the like. I think we should put some focus on helping older atheists do the same thing as well.

I don't think I've seen any of the other FtBers or Baboons ever bring up this topic (correct me if I'm wrong, of course). Yet it's an important issue for the broader A/S community, and worthy of discussion and advocacy.
It's especially timely considering the recent FfTB treatment of a certain active and effective young atheist in Pennsylvania.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, it may just be a coincidence - unfortunate for AchronTimeless if so - but they and Eucliwood are posting from geographically close IPs from the same ISP. Smelling a big juicy one here...
wait... what? That idiot lives near me? Oh PLEASE give me a town!

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, it may just be a coincidence - unfortunate for AchronTimeless if so - but they and Eucliwood are posting from geographically close IPs from the same ISP. Smelling a big juicy one here...
That's so cute. Now "possible sock puppet" warning. How is this not just like the A+ and ASPD forum (yes... this is resembling behavior at an ASPD forum...) bullshit?

Now this is the part where I freak the fuck out in suspicion that I live anywhere near Achron Timeless.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Hey Guise? Anyone want an...

[...]

...Edit button?
No. Please help keep me honest. :) An edit button would lower the credibility of every post here. No one would know which are originals and which have had things memory holed.
Only kidding. Surely you were around for the great "Edit Button" discussions early on, or did you arrive just after that?

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Achron, tell Lsuoma he has permission to reveal my county, but not my city. I take my privacy very seriously after an incident that involved the authorities.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote:In spite of the recent feces-flinging revelations and attempted medical pledge-athons, I can't dismiss Ed Brayton entirely, because he still posts some excellent and on point stuff:

That is indeed a good point. I think we tend to file away the elderly in the "god-soaked" file without further thought. It would be tough outreach; since at least in the US most elderly are much more steeped in religion their whole lives than their younger counterparts, peer pressure among the elderly to conform would be quite inhibiting. I'm thinking of the senior community my mother lives in. One perceived misstep and the vicious gossipy backstabbing machine roars to life.

welch

Post by welch »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Okay. You get....rosemond. It's the shithole just outside of Edwards AFB

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Eucliwood wrote: Achron, tell Lsuoma he has permission to reveal my county, but not my city. I take my privacy very seriously after an incident that involved the authorities.
If this is actually Half-Fish, I just might end up as a vicar!

Darren

Post by Darren »

Why didn't anyone tell me it was "Bring Your Own Drama" day today? I would've worn my Hawaiian shirt.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Yeah...that's where I live. Rosemond. Whatever the hell that is. I mean...I totally know where and what Rosemond is.

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:
That's so cute. Now "possible sock puppet" warning. How is this not just like the A+ and ASPD forum (yes... this is resembling behavior at an ASPD forum...) bullshit?

Now this is the part where I freak the fuck out in suspicion that I live anywhere near Achron Timeless.

If your name was timex, you couldn't wind yourself up faster. This is awesome.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

dinkum wrote:It's especially timely considering the recent FfTB treatment of a certain active and effective young atheist in Pennsylvania.
Good point - atheists facing hostility from other atheists and skeptics. Reminds me of what happened to a certain Dr. Hall at TAM, too.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

welch wrote:
AchronTimeless wrote:
Okay. You get....rosemond. It's the shithole just outside of Edwards AFB
Well that sucks, but at least it's not in Kentucky.

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:Yeah...that's where I live. Rosemond. Whatever the hell that is. I mean...I totally know where and what Rosemond is.
Humor is one of those things other people do in your world, isn't it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Darren wrote:Why didn't anyone tell me it was "Bring Your Own Drama" day today? I would've worn my Hawaiian shirt.
I haven't seen this much drama since "Prisoner Cell Block H" ended.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

That scary fragment about 'rights' in Thunderf00t’s video was taken from a discussion on Atheism Plus that took place on 26 August this year. While this deranged Esteleth person matter-of-factly shreds the very basis of free expression and sceptical thought, the FTB/Skepchick morons (PZ, Rebecca Watson, Ian Brown [now known as Anthony K], Jen McCreight and others) just look on and nod in agreement, like goats who think that ritual slaughter is an excellent idea. The transcript of that discussion can be found here:

https://a-plus-scribe.com/doku.php?id=t ... 6_pz_myers

Here is part of the transcript. No, this is not based on a secret recording of a meeting of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of North Korea. These are people who claim that they belong to a sceptical movement in a country that safeguards freedom of speech in its Constitution. It’s fucking unbelievable. Watching this discussion was one of the things (along with Carrier's manifesto) that convinced me that Atheism Plus was not a naive, but harmless idea, but a cult in statu nascendi.
Esteleth:
Well, one of the things about the, these people who don't want to give up their privilege. It's the, it's a concept that's been talked about for, for a hundred years if not longer. It's “your right to do something ends the second that what it is you're doing hurts somebody else”. You know, it's the original phrasing is “you can wave your arms around, but that right stops when you hit somebody in the nose”. You know.

Ian Brown:
Mm-hmm.

Esteleth:
It's the, my –

Rebecca Watson:
It's “your right to swing your fist ends where my face begins.”

Esteleth:
Of course, yeah, something along those lines. And you know what, that's actually very true. And that also applies to things like language. Yeah, I could say all manner of words. You know, like, I have the right to do that. I have the Freedom of Speech. But my right to do that ends the second that's one, that somebody who's affected by those words hears me.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

welch wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:

Nice selective bias there. I'm sure you noticed that Achron does not want to live near me either and even demanded my location. But have dreams that you're "winding up" the 'troll" if you want to. If that's what is being attempted here, you're the troll.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

BarnOwl wrote:
dinkum wrote:It's especially timely considering the recent FfTB treatment of a certain active and effective young atheist in Pennsylvania.
Good point - atheists facing hostility from other atheists and skeptics. Reminds me of what happened to a certain Dr. Hall at TAM, too.
Wait.. so Atheism isn't a hive-mind? Why the fuck did I sign up, then? No hive-mind, no rape and murder because we're amoral, no culture of sexual harassment and treating women as fuck-toys... I was robbed. I want my money back.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Git wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Maximus wrote:LOL, I was wondering what the originals/longtimers thought of steersman. He seems..... wordy.
For what it's worth I like the old bugger. Sure, he may argue that water is in fact dry but meh.... Sometimes he actually makes you rethink a position.
I'm the same. Count me in the "we're better off with Steers" faction.
As am I.

I like Steers. It's just that I often skip his posts because, well, I can only handle up to pulsar-density prose. Once it gets into neutron star density territory or greater, my eyes start to cross. :?

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

BarnOwl wrote:
Spence wrote:Surely people aren't getting triggered by Mr Hankey?

"Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo, Small and brown he comes from you, Sit on the toilet here he comes, Squeeze him 'tween your festive buns"

One option would be to replace it with Mykeru's picture. Not the smiley version either, but the actual photo.
Damn, I forgot to make festive buns for Crassmas this year.
Hopefully, you made some Schweddy Balls.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... ls/999481/

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Eucliwood where do you like your stick your fishsticks?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Za-zen wrote:Eucliwood where do you like your stick your fishsticks?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Za-zen wrote:Eucliwood where do you like your stick your fishsticks?
o.O I don't stick fishsticks anywhere... except my mouth. Then it depends on what brand they are. There are some bad tasting fish sticks ot there.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

I should really quit eating though. I'm 250 lbs and short, too. Under 5'5" to be exact. Wowee.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Eucliwood wrote:
welch wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:

Nice selective bias there. I'm sure you noticed that Achron does not want to live near me either and even demanded my location. But have dreams that you're "winding up" the 'troll" if you want to. If that's what is being attempted here, you're the troll.
Dude, this is embarrassing now. Please, just put the laptop down and walk away.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Reap wrote:Here's a podcast for Ed "lying jack-off dickhead hypocrite" Brayton and PZ "lord of inthe darkness" Myers and all the other simpletons who can't see the difference between truth and rhetoric. Click on the graphic Thanks to everyone who was on the call. To quote PZ "We should do this again sometime. Here's my hotel room key"

http://www.reapsowradio.com/wp-content/ ... onhive.gif
Link is fixed ...stupid technology

dinkum

Post by dinkum »

Rystefn wrote:Wait.. so Atheism isn't a hive-mind? Why the fuck did I sign up, then? No hive-mind, no rape and murder because we're amoral, no culture of sexual harassment and treating women as fuck-toys... I was robbed. I want my money back.
i thought the fuck-toy bit was still being debated...somewhere. Dunno about you, but I was promised cookies and lightsabers. So far, I've had to make my own cookies and it's been sweet fuck all on the lightsaber front. Still beats the scalloped ham and potato casserole shit that the church ladies bring every fucken week.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote: That is indeed a good point. I think we tend to file away the elderly in the "god-soaked" file without further thought. It would be tough outreach; since at least in the US most elderly are much more steeped in religion their whole lives than their younger counterparts, peer pressure among the elderly to conform would be quite inhibiting. I'm thinking of the senior community my mother lives in. One perceived misstep and the vicious gossipy backstabbing machine roars to life.
Most of my elderly colleagues and friends may be skeptics, but none is an atheist, AFAIK. No "out" atheists for sure.

For rural communities or small towns in the US, the only support group available for elderly people might be through a church or synagogue - you'd be left high and dry as an atheist.

Plonk

Post by Plonk »

acathode wrote:It's simply impossible to follow the comments on the video atm, as far as I can tell it hasn't been up for even 2 hours yet afaik, and got 1000+ thumbs up and 500+ comments, and it's probably grow even faster, seeing as TheAmazingAtheist just left a comment, favorited and commented on it, making at least some of his 300.000+ subscribers go check it out as well...
i got a pic of it. it will be hard to keep up with the comments on that video.
http://i.imgur.com/Ijaae.jpg
acathode wrote:Agree with the person who said that FTB probably doesn't like it when TF aims his guns at them, due to his following. I have the feeling that more than one person over at FTB is at this very moment fumingly typing frenetically to get a "counterattack" up ASAP. This will be fun to watch.
:popcorn:
I'm doing some face-palm exercises in preparation. :doh:

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gumby wrote:I like Steers. It's just that I often skip his posts because, well, I can only handle up to pulsar-density prose. Once it gets into neutron star density territory or greater, my eyes start to cross. :?
Oh, fuck it, I'll join in with the steers appreciation chorus. I agree with Tony, he sometimes makes you think, but I also agree with Gumby - he is usually TL;DR.