Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Scented Nectar

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Scented Nectar »

AndrewV69 wrote:Under the tennants of the Manosphere, be prepared for Twatson get drunk, fuck some hapless beta and cry rape, rather than acknowledge she "setteled" for some "creepy" guy who she would never have looked at twice before she hit the wall.
I wish I could say no way, or that's so unlikely, but really, it's almost inevitable as her next step. She should have a preventive tattoo on her forehead saying "I will accuse you of rape if we have sex, so don't tell me your real name."

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Pitchguest wrote:It's obvious that the reason Watson goes on about drunken sex being rape is that everytime she has sex, it would be rape. (Since she can't stop drinking, you see?) It's a ploy. And her willing puppets dance to her tune, as always. Dance, puppets, dance!
Here are some dancing puppets (but they're not The Twat's puppets). They are dancing to David Bowie, Dance, Magic, Dance...
[youtube]DjoYzLBp34o[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Scented Nectar wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Under the tennants of the Manosphere, be prepared for Twatson get drunk, fuck some hapless beta and cry rape, rather than acknowledge she "setteled" for some "creepy" guy who she would never have looked at twice before she hit the wall.
I wish I could say no way, or that's so unlikely, but really, it's almost inevitable as her next step. She should have a preventive tattoo on her forehead saying "I will accuse you of rape if we have sex, so don't tell me your real name."
That may be the case if you really believe she's bought into some of the more radical feministic notions that equate sex with rape.
I don't happen to believe that she is a genuine radfem.

I think she's just playing at it.
She occasionally acts like she has gone the whole hog and taken up the sex-negative feminist doctrine - which has, inevitably, led to Ophelia cheering her on. On the other hand her entire history belies the idea that she believes in this and most of her friends, at FTB, are not in that particular feminist camp. Yes, they may all occasionally mouth radfem notions like 'sex while drunk is rape', but do you seriously think that PZ, Laden or Lousy Canuck consider themselves rapists? Of course not, that is something only bad evil people do, not them.
I mean, look at the clip from 'The Big Bang Theory' that sparked Rebecca's latest kerfuffle that involved a situation in which a woman, who appears to have drunk less than a bottle of wine initiates sex with a sober man who is her (ex-boy?)friend.
Does anyone seriously contend that this level of drinking turns sex into rape.

As someone mentioned earlier IF you think that that amount of alcohol makes sex rape then the only logical step is to ban alcohol (rape-juice) from skeptics conferences.
And do you think that Rebecca seriously wants that?

franc

Post by franc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I don't see "karma", or its western counterparts, as a useful concept, at all. There are so many exemples going contrary to your aphorisms that said aphorisms become meaningless.

And I think that's all I'll say about this subject. You never know, it might tarnish my "karma".
"Karma" is not necessarily a spooky concept, nor in any way bound to religious concepts of morality. It can also be quite useful psychologically in a non-Deepak Chopraish way. There are two examples -

In Australia and NZ (and probably Britain) there is the idea of "what goes around, comes around", which is a simplistic version of "enlightened self-interest". First, it encourages altruism, to be generous when possible and when it does not impact anything else - with the idea that if everyone does it, it will come back to you eventually - providing you remain humble and do not demand your "rights" or "entitlements". Second, when you are on the receiving end of generosity, simply accept it graciously, without any airs or any insistent refusal. Just say "cheers mate".

The other is when ills are visited on you of the kind that you may have in the past inflicted on others. It gives you something to contemplate - an understanding of why you were probably an asshole. This is called a "life lesson" - and you take something away with it, get up and move on. As opposed to baboons who learn nothing, just wallow in their misfortune and howl their grievances to the world in endless, shameless and protracted exhibitionism.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

John Brown wrote:
To be fair, I took it to mean that drug laws and draconian incarceration rates affect minorities (especially African Americans) more than any other group in America.

There's an easy answer to all of that, though. Fucking end the drug war.
That will not happen in the US anytime soon, as you no doubt realise. But it would very likely make the single biggest change to the "crime" landscape that legislation could reasonably achieve, most of it for the better. I wonder why the people most against it would likely be the same people who are most against government intervention in anything else to do with capitalism "red in tooth and claw"?

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

franc wrote:snipSecond, when you are on the receiving end of generosity, simply accept it graciously, without any airs or any insistent refusal. Just say "cheers mate".

The other is when ills are visited on you of the kind that you may have in the past inflicted on others. It gives you something to contemplate - an understanding of why you were probably an asshole. This is called a "life lesson" - and you take something away with it, get up and move on. [snip]
:naughty: functional =/= true. :naughty:

No such thing as karma, lets not pretend otherwise

AnonymousCowherd

welch wrote:So, I see the north texas secular convention has announced the speaker list.

Wonder how close I can guess what each one's talk will be about before the schedule is announced?
What, in that presentation of nebbishes would make me want to stump up the clams to hear them speak (given I don't know most of them from a slice of liverwurst)? I doubt the subject of their talk is going to help that either.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I wish I could say no way, or that's so unlikely, but really, it's almost inevitable as her next step. She should have a preventive tattoo on her forehead saying "I will accuse you of rape if we have sex, so don't tell me your real name."
That may be the case if you really believe she's bought into some of the more radical feministic notions that equate sex with rape.

She occasionally acts like she has gone the whole hog and taken up the sex-negative feminist doctrine - which has, inevitably, led to Ophelia cheering her on. On the other hand her entire history belies the idea that she believes in this and most of her friends, at FTB, are not in that particular feminist camp. Yes, they may all occasionally mouth radfem notions like 'sex while drunk is rape', but do you seriously think that PZ, Laden or Lousy Canuck consider themselves rapists? Of course not, that is something only bad evil people do, not them.
I mean, look at the clip from 'The Big Bang Theory' that sparked Rebecca's latest kerfuffle that involved a situation in which a woman, who appears to have drunk less than a bottle of wine initiates sex with a sober man who is her (ex-boy?)friend.

As someone mentioned earlier IF you think that that amount of alcohol makes sex rape then the only logical step is to ban alcohol (rape-juice) from skeptics conferences.
Good points. It's hard to know how much is a (sociopathic even?) faking of it. And being an alcoholic (in my view, not necessarily anyone else's; it's relative), she lives hypocritically to what she preaches. She should be kept from getting drunk in any place where there are also men around unless she has a chaperone. Being constantly drunk, all sex she has is rape. She can retroactively take back any consent that was previously given & acted upon.

The idea of making conferences "chem-free" as old 1980's style social justice warriors used to call it, would be fucking hilarious. But, hey, if they are going for diversity and don't want to leave any marginalized groups out, what about ex-drinkers who are very uncomfortable in drinking environments or around drunks. Making sure that chem-free people feel comfortable (including any "straight edge" folks if those types are still around these days), should be right up A+ 's alley. I mean, IF they are going to be consistent in their quest to over-ensure that every group they can think of, feels welcome.

franc

Post by franc »

SPACKlick wrote:
franc wrote:snipSecond, when you are on the receiving end of generosity, simply accept it graciously, without any airs or any insistent refusal. Just say "cheers mate".

The other is when ills are visited on you of the kind that you may have in the past inflicted on others. It gives you something to contemplate - an understanding of why you were probably an asshole. This is called a "life lesson" - and you take something away with it, get up and move on. [snip]

Where did I say it was "true"? I said "as a concept". I can followup up with "what you think I said" =/= "what I actually said". Your motives for interpretation bias are beyond my control.

franc

Post by franc »

SPACKlick wrote:

Cesspit of lies -
Enlightened self-interest

Enlightened self-interest is a philosophy in ethics which states that persons who act to further the interests of others (or the interests of the group or groups to which they belong), ultimately serve their own self-interest.

It has often been simply expressed by the belief that an individual, group, or even a commercial entity will "do well by doing good".
Sounds like applying the concept of karma for practical common benefit to me.

It's kinda fundamentalist to simply ditch a word because of its preconceived associations rather than ruminate on the ideas behind the word. Sure, it has it's roots in eastern mysticism - but that does not automatically mean it's gibberish glasshoppa.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

franc wrote:Sounds like applying the concept of karma for practical common benefit to me.

It's kinda fundamentalist to simply ditch a word because of its preconceived associations rather than ruminate on the ideas behind the word. Sure, it has it's roots in eastern mysticism - but that does not automatically mean it's gibberish glasshoppa.
No, it's applying true concepts for practical benefit, rather than taking a woo concept and all its baggage and trying to 1) apply it as a white lie to benefit society 2) Strip away the baggage.

enlightened self interest = good, true, useful
Karma = woo and not useful in and of itself.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

This concept and "karma" are so far appart, I have no idea why this discussion is even taking place.

AnonymousCowherd

Outwest wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys. When we started this, I went and bought a cheap USB headset. ~$30. So, I'll look to upgrade before the next podcast. I looked at the levelator site. I'll ask Wooly (she actually does the recording) to get it before the next podcast.

My issue is that I'm using a MacBook Air. Only has USB as an option (yeah, I'm a Mac guy for the last 8 years).
What's really interesting though, is that when we were doing the 'cast, other than the occasional drops, everything sounded fine. Hell, I wasn't even using my headset and all the voices came across just fine.

So, anyway, I'll be upgrading some hardware in the next week and hopefully, with the suggestions both of you have made, the next 'cast will be a big improvement.

Thanks again.
What welch and co have said is good advice. Just to add a few points.

Mic technique is important. Try to stay about the same distance from the mic throughout, unless you intend to shout/scream/whoop etc. But don't get too close or the proximity effect will make oyu sound "boomy" and you'll be more likely to get noisy "pops" and scratchy "essssses". Watch a good singer in a recording studio and how they back off the mic when they hit the top, power notes and come back again for the more standard stuff. It's an art, but the basics are easy.

Levelator is OK but it won't stop you overloading the mic and getting a clipped file because the distortion happens before it hits the computer. Once it's digitally clipped, the noise is nasty and can't be fixed. Try to keep levels below clipping (see above) but, if you are serious about recording, consider a cheap compressor/limiter/pre amp for your mic. You can get them for under $90 US (maybe less if you look). They won't get used in Abbey Road, but they will help to keep your levels under control. They will also do a great job of bringing up background noise if you aren't careful, so no air-com, rumbling trucks, TV in the next room etc if you can avoid it. Some of these things have a noise gate, which will shut off backgound noise, but will shut you off too, if it is set too high.

A program like Audacity can do your recording and a good deal of processing for you (including removing or reducing a constant background noise) and it's free. Great for post-production.

Another vote for local recording. Also, don't just listen to your set up while the recording is on. Record your room with nothing happening and then listen to it back - you may be surprised what a mic picks up that your hearing simply ignored or processed out. Ideally, everyone involved with the recording should do that. When you bring together your takes, treat each separately and then mix them, if that's how you're working.

Room treatment is great if you can manage it, but is a royal pain in a normal house. There may be an issue if the sound is very "bright" or "boomy" in spots, or is echo-ey, or you sound like you're in a box when you talk. The mic picks up the room "ambience" which most folks don't hear until it's recorded (and played back). A couple blankets or towels on clothes horses or room dividers can make a big difference (as can semi-filled bookshelves) - it's not about sound proofing, but about stopping sound reflecting off the walls/ceiling too much and colouring what you are trying to do. Ideally, if you are going to record locally, the background ambience should be the same (or "dry") in each recording if you want to mix them well, but really, it's a pod cast - give them their money back if they want to complain.

AnonymousCowherd

CommanderTuvok wrote:CONGRATULATIONS on THE PIT for reaching 1,000,000 views.

Here's to the next million, and then some.
Since Mattel pinched our slimepit.com;

http://i0.wp.com/toonbarn.com/wordpress ... =600%2C300

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Sure, brag about a million hits...can't you for once think about the poor women?

AnonymousCowherd

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

I think the skepchicks as a whole have re-invented "flirty fishing";

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llmwq ... o1_500.jpg

AnonymousCowherd

mordacious1 wrote:Sure, brag about a million hits...can't you for once think about the poor women?
Which ones have been hit a million times?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Sure, brag about a million hits...can't you for once think about the poor women?
Which ones have been hit a million times?
Internet Watson, in contrast to IRL Watson?

franc

Post by franc »

SPACKlick wrote:
franc wrote:Sounds like applying the concept of karma for practical common benefit to me.

No, it's applying true concepts for practical benefit, rather than taking a woo concept and all its baggage and trying to 1) apply it as a white lie to benefit society 2) Strip away the baggage.

You have a problem with the word "concept" don't you?

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

franc wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:

You have a problem with the word "concept" don't you?
No, I have no problem with the word concept, but you seem to have a problem with the idea that labels carry multiple concepts and associations. Karma is not useful here because it carries a side to it's central concept that's bullshit. Take the central concept, away from the rest of the concept of karma and then polish it a bit and you may have something useful.

LMU

Post by LMU »

I liked Dear Prudence's response to RW:
"Stop acting like a parody of a gender-studies course catalog..."

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

comslave wrote:
Punker wrote:Rebecca only got her driver's license a few months ago and she's in her 30s.

When guys stop giving you rides is proof you've passed your "sell by" date.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... /rofl2.gif

That is all.

Reap

Post by Reap »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Hey - I wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I think *part* of the problem may have been my own mic. I've got something new I'm trying out next podcast so hopefully that'll help. My desk is also right over my heater vent and my room has an ac unit constantly recirculating air (allergies and crap). I've turned those off this last podcast so hopefully that helped somewhat.

I've saved the advice and see what I can personally do. As we're pretty much all three spread out across the continent, a local recording is pretty much an impossibility.

Hit me up if you want. I'll play 'producer' for ya until you tell me to fuck off. I helped few podcasts when I was hangin out with the paranormal crowd so they could get the hang of things. I just stopped doing one show so I have some extra time available.

Reap

Post by Reap »

sacha wrote:
Reap wrote: Karma is defined as a result from a reaction, that's it. Karma is not punishment or retribution but simply an extended expression or consequence of natural acts. There is no such thing as good/bad karma because there is no such thing as good/bad as far as the universe is concerned. People involved in the paranormal used to drive me crazy with the "karma comes back to you tenfold".... bullshit.
Karma is the law of moral causation.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma
http://www.skepdic.com/karma.html
Yes I concur that is the Buddhist definition.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Reap wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Hey - I wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I think *part* of the problem may have been my own mic. I've got something new I'm trying out next podcast so hopefully that'll help. My desk is also right over my heater vent and my room has an ac unit constantly recirculating air (allergies and crap). I've turned those off this last podcast so hopefully that helped somewhat.

I've saved the advice and see what I can personally do. As we're pretty much all three spread out across the continent, a local recording is pretty much an impossibility.

Hit me up if you want. I'll play 'producer' for ya until you tell me to fuck off. I helped few podcasts when I was hangin out with the paranormal crowd so they could get the hang of things. I just stopped doing one show so I have some extra time available.
We may do that. I think we want to start by implementing some of the suggestions made by welch, et al and see if we can improve things in our next podcast. All of us realize that its going to take a bit of time to work through some of the technical issues and any and all suggestions are welcome.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Franc, I have just read your excellent blog post, that was some hard work you did there young man, I'm proud of you!

I wonder how much of that Ophelia will quote mine if she ever gets to read it?

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

sacha wrote:
John Brown wrote:I'll just leave this here:

You weren’t raped. You’re a whore. Join the club.

http://judgybitch.com/2012/10/22/54/
Rape culture holds men, and only men, responsible for what women do. And thanks, but I prefer to be responsible for my own fucking behaviour.

and the next sentence is:
And when I’m about to do something really stupid, that I will regret the next morning, I rely on my friends to save me FROM MYSELF.
Your friends are not responsible for babysitting you, go back to the first sentence.

otherwise, spot on.
A small point of disagreement, if I may.

I addressed this in one of my videos sometime back. When I was in the Army, there was always one implicit, though unbreakable rule.

Never leave a person behind.

The circumstances didn't matter. Whether it be the battlefield or going out on Friday night getting sloshed, you looked out for your friends and never left them behind.

If at some point they meet up with someone and want to split away from the group, a couple things come into play. The group assesses if you're too far gone to make that decision by yourself. If you are, then you aren't leaving. I don't care if a fist fight erupts because of it. You're not leaving.

If you are able to make that decision by yourself, then somebody from the group makes sure that all relevant information is obtained. Where does this person live? What is his/her phone number? When do you plan on being back? How will you get back? etc, etc...

Leaving a person behind to fend for themselves was a taboo one simply did not break. If you did, be prepared to be a pariah.

Now, I understand that casual social groups aren't like the bonds you have in the military, but if more people looked at it that way, then there would be much less of this going on.

Regardless of gender, you shouldn't be out by yourself, drinking yourself silly in unfamiliar places. And, you also shouldn't be doing said activities with "friends" you can't trust.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Hey Welch - seems your recent blog post has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... agreement/

Svan, you wouldn't know a principled disagreement from a suppository.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

A final word on podcast production from me.

Please take any advice that I've offered as merely friendly tips and not PRONOUNCEMENTS FROM THE GREAT AND MIGHTY PODMASTER. Welch can attest that for basically the first year we did AMB I would fly off the handle weekly at the people on Twitter rushing in to explain (podsplain?) how we were doing everything wrong. I still get pissed at the golden-eared freaks who complain about echos and hums that I can only detect by playing the show though an amplifier set to 11.

The absolute most important thing is that you're out there doing something. The content is what's most important. If people can't get over any technical issues that you might have, fuck them --- in the ear.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

My Skype won't laucnh, for some reason.

This is the full extent of what I'm willing to share in terms of internet talks. Untill that fucker dares launch again.

(Maybe I'll try and resboot my computer someday)

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

John Brown wrote: A small point of disagreement, if I may.

I addressed this in one of my videos sometime back. When I was in the Army, there was always one implicit, though unbreakable rule.

The circumstances didn't matter. Whether it be the battlefield or going out on Friday night getting sloshed, you looked out for your friends and never left them behind.

If at some point they meet up with someone and want to split away from the group, a couple things come into play. The group assesses if you're too far gone to make that decision by yourself. If you are, then you aren't leaving. I don't care if a fist fight erupts because of it. You're not leaving.

If you are able to make that decision by yourself, then somebody from the group makes sure that all relevant information is obtained. Where does this person live? What is his/her phone number? When do you plan on being back? How will you get back? etc, etc...

Leaving a person behind to fend for themselves was a taboo one simply did not break. If you did, be prepared to be a pariah.

Now, I understand that casual social groups aren't like the bonds you have in the military, but if more people looked at it that way, then there would be much less of this going on.

Regardless of gender, you shouldn't be out by yourself, drinking yourself silly in unfamiliar places. And, you also shouldn't be doing said activities with "friends" you can't trust.

You know, this is exactly the reason I couldn't fucking stand doing anything with Army people. You aren't my fucking mommy to be demanding to know where I'm going, and how long I'll be gone, and who's going to be there all the fucking time, and even if you were, I stopped telling her all that shit when I was like 13. If I don't show up for morning formation, assume I'm either AWOL or dead. Don't come looking for me, in case it's the first.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Rystefn wrote:

You know, this is exactly the reason I couldn't fucking stand doing anything with Army people. You aren't my fucking mommy to be demanding to know where I'm going, and how long I'll be gone, and who's going to be there all the fucking time, and even if you were, I stopped telling her all that shit when I was like 13. If I don't show up for morning formation, assume I'm either AWOL or dead. Don't come looking for me, in case it's the first.
/shrug

That's all well and good and we certainly had people going their own way like that. But the behavior I'm talking about is all pre-agreed upon.

And, if you're in my squad/platoon/whatever, I don't care what you say...if you're incapacitated because you drank yourself to oblivion, you're going home. We can fight about it in the morning, but for now, you're going home.

We all have our own definitions of what friends are and aren't, but to me, a friend would never allow me to act in a way that may get me killed if he can help it.

Also, it must be understood that a friend would little tolerate that behavior. You get to fuck up and make an ass of yourself once or twice, and I'll have your back, but when it's time to straighten up, it's time to straighten up.

You're right, they aren't your mother, but you have to trust them in situations most people will never face.

Like I said, this doesn't translate well over into civilian life, and maybe it shouldn't, but I'd much rather hang out with a group of people who have my back if I fuck up than a group who will ditch me for some shiny bauble.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Rystefn wrote:

Oh noes, woah for Rystefen, is people care about where he is and would be comforted to know he's ok, he's to big a man for all that shit. FFS Rystefen, join society, it's awesomer than anyone without it.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Angry_Drunk wrote:A final word on podcast production from me.

Please take any advice that I've offered as merely friendly tips and not PRONOUNCEMENTS FROM THE GREAT AND MIGHTY PODMASTER. Welch can attest that for basically the first year we did AMB I would fly off the handle weekly at the people on Twitter rushing in to explain (podsplain?) how we were doing everything wrong. I still get pissed at the golden-eared freaks who complain about echos and hums that I can only detect by playing the show though an amplifier set to 11.

The absolute most important thing is that you're out there doing something. The content is what's most important. If people can't get over any technical issues that you might have, fuck them --- in the ear.
We are taking it for what it is: advice. Advice though from others that have been podcasting for a while is valuable to us. I guess what pissed me off yesterday was decius' comment. Okay, we have technical issues, we need to tweek some things. Okay, I get it. What he didn't do was offer any constructive advice how we could do that. Only expecting that after 3 podcasts, we'd have fixed all the technical issues. I was: "wait, what? after THREE podcasts?"

That's where welch, then you jumped in - and later Reap - to offer advice and help based on your experience. We have little. We'll get there. And yes, I think the ccontent is important and I hope those that have listened through all the technical quirks have found the content enjoyable.

decius

Post by decius »

John Brown wrote:

Jebus fucking christ, then some people wonder why I hate the military. Just looks at the paranoid mentality that pervades it.
We're talking about adults enjoying a few drinks and then taking off for sex with a stranger. If someone is overstepping any boundary in the situation you describe, it's these nanny-mates of yours.

decius

Post by decius »

Well, I see that Ryfsten got there before me.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

decius wrote:
John Brown wrote:

Jebus fucking christ, then some people wonder why I hate the military. Just looks at the paranoid mentality that pervades it.
We're talking about adults enjoying a few drinks and then taking off for sex with a stranger. If someone is overstepping any boundary in the situation you describe, it's these nanny-mates of yours.
It's not "Nanny Mates", If I saw you climb to the outside of the railing to walk along the bridge, I'd hoy you back in so you wouldn't die by falling off the bridge, because you're clearly too pissed to make that decision. If you're further gone than the socially agreed upon (varies by group) limit of deciding who to fuck then I'll make your excuses and keep you safe, and It's a comfort knowing you'd do the same for me.

If you are going off I may not go quite as far as the military lot, but there circs are a little different, but I'd make sure I knew roughly where you were heading and that you had an idea how to get back.

FFS, it's mates looking out for eachother to make sure they don't wind up dead, hurt or worse sleeping with a femistazi.

Honestly, do you not give a fuck if your mate winds up dead?

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

there =/=their

I =/= awake

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

decius wrote:
John Brown wrote:

As I stated above... /shrug

If someone is incapacitated, they aren't going anywhere. They are going home. We can fight about it in the morning, and you can stamp your feet all you want, but you're going home.

If you're doing OK and want to leave the group, then you tell us generally where you're going to be and when you'll be back. That way, if you end up missing, we have a fucking clue on where to start looking for you.

Like I said above, this is all implicit and agreed upon. Don't like it? Don't come out with us. It's as simple as that.

Every single one of us has to know that the people we are with are reliable. If you're willing to abandon a comrade while out drinking, then what the fuck are you gonna do when the bullets start flying?

decius

Post by decius »

SPACKlick wrote:
decius wrote:
John Brown wrote:

It's not "Nanny Mates", If I saw you climb to the outside of the railing to walk along the bridge, I'd hoy you back in so you wouldn't die by falling off the bridge, because you're clearly too pissed to make that decision. If you're further gone than the socially agreed upon (varies by group) limit of deciding who to fuck then I'll make your excuses and keep you safe, and It's a comfort knowing you'd do the same for me.

If you are going off I may not go quite as far as the military lot, but there circs are a little different, but I'd make sure I knew roughly where you were heading and that you had an idea how to get back.

FFS, it's mates looking out for eachother to make sure they don't wind up dead, hurt or worse sleeping with a femistazi.

Yeah, because as everyone knows, death is the most likely outcome of drunken sex.

decius

Post by decius »

John Brown wrote:

If someone is incapacitated, they aren't going anywhere. They are going home. We can fight about it in the morning, and you can stamp your feet all you want, but you're going home.

If you're doing OK and want to leave the group, then you tell us generally where you're going to be and when you'll be back. That way, if you end up missing, we have a fucking clue on where to start looking for you.

Like I said above, this is all implicit and agreed upon. Don't like it? Don't come out with us. It's as simple as that.

Every single one of us has to know that the people we are with are reliable. If you're willing to abandon a comrade while out drinking, then what the fuck are you gonna do when the bullets start flying?
In my neck of the woods, we tend to talk about things in the morning. And no, I wouldn't go out with anyone who puts primitive notions of loyalty to some group of cave-dwellers ahead of everything else or can't tell a party from a war zone. So, that's solved. Sorry for the interruption.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

decius wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
decius wrote:

Yeah, because as everyone knows, death is the most likely outcome of drunken sex.
The point. You are fucking missing it.

It's not about people dying because of "drunken sex." It's about being able to trust that your friends have your back.

But, as an aside, I'll just say this. In every unit I was ever in, people wound up dead because they wandered off and did something stupid. In some of those cases, nothing could be done about it. In others, it was because their comrades dropped the fucking ball.

People die. People get raped (two men I knew were raped because they were stupid and ignored their friends). People fucking disappear. It happens to people who have had years of military training and who are at the peak of physical conditioning.

You look after your friends. Your friends look after you. When you're in an up-armoured vehicle driving through the streets of Kabul, your friends are all you have.

papillon

Post by papillon »

[youtube]6HLbcFhu8kw[/youtube]

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

decius wrote:
John Brown wrote:

In my neck of the woods, we tend to talk about things in the morning. And no, I wouldn't go out with anyone who puts primitive notions of loyalty to some group of cave-dwellers ahead of everything else or can't tell a party from a war zone. So, that's solved. Sorry for the interruption.
Oh, aren't you just adorable? Bless your cotton socks.

If you don't identify with the group I'm talking about and have no interest in belonging to such a group, why the fuck are you taking this so personally?

You *are* sorry for the interruption. Now, you can feel free to apologize anytime you wish.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Question: I've made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to embed a youtube video. I've tried using the youtube feature when posting and I've tried using the embed feature on youtube, neither one worked for me. What am I doing wrong?

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

SPACKlick wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

Oh noes, woah for Rystefen, is people care about where he is and would be comforted to know he's ok, he's to big a man for all that shit. FFS Rystefen, join society, it's awesomer than anyone without it.
There's more to society than people holding your fucking hand and trying to protect you from yourself. My friends all know the deal, and they're ok with it: if you don't hear anything otherwise, assume I'm where I want to be, doing what I want to do, with the people I want to do it with, and I don't need any help. If any of those things becomes untrue, I'll let you know, and I'll assume you're extending me the same courtesy. If you need a babysitter, or think I do, we aren't going to get along. If you care about where I am, come with me, because I'm not going to call everyone I fucking know every time I change location, I don't have time for that shit. If you want to know what time I'll be back, tough shit, because I don't know until/unless I finally make it back.

If it makes you feel better to have people keeping tabs on you all the fucking time, that's your prerogative, but I find life to be "awesomer" when I'm pedaling around the backyard with the fucking training wheels on.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

katamari Damassi wrote:Question: I've made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to embed a youtube video. I've tried using the youtube feature when posting and I've tried using the embed feature on youtube, neither one worked for me. What am I doing wrong?
Take the Youtube url (i.e. and remove all but the part *after* v= (so in this case, we're left with S6CFgK8nYLA). Place that between the youtube tags. Viola:

[youtube]S6CFgK8nYLA[/youtube]

Jenna Marbles drunkenly decorating a tree. Only the tree was raped.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Note, that the above post should say *not* pedaling around the backyard with the training wheels on. Because of all the words to leave out, "not" is the fucking worst, and therefore the most common when I'm typing.

katamari Damassi

ReneeHendricks wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Question: I've made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to embed a youtube video. I've tried using the youtube feature when posting and I've tried using the embed feature on youtube, neither one worked for me. What am I doing wrong?
Take the Youtube url (i.e. and remove all but the part *after* v= (so in this case, we're left with S6CFgK8nYLA). Place that between the youtube tags. Viola:

[youtube]S6CFgK8nYLA[/youtube]

Jenna Marbles drunkenly decorating a tree. Only the tree was raped.
Thank you!

katamari Damassi

Whoops! Quote fail. Didn't mean to include everything in it. Well time for a second cup of coffee I think.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Kind of entertaining seeing the current back and forth on the topic of letting your friends go and hook up while drunk/the buddy system. I'm not sure what side of things I fall on, though I definitely did not like the mandatory nature of the buddy system back when I was in.

It's a big gray area that I think should be left up to the individual, and their choice of friends. Saying that it wold be nice to have someone intervene when you're about to do something stupid or regrettable, or even that it is what you would expect from a *friend*, is not the same as saying that they are responsible for your actions.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Rystefn wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
There's more to society than people holding your fucking hand and trying to protect you from yourself. My friends all know the deal, and they're ok with it: if you don't hear anything otherwise, assume I'm where I want to be, doing what I want to do, with the people I want to do it with, and I don't need any help. If any of those things becomes untrue, I'll let you know, and I'll assume you're extending me the same courtesy. If you need a babysitter, or think I do, we aren't going to get along. If you care about where I am, come with me, because I'm not going to call everyone I fucking know every time I change location, I don't have time for that shit. If you want to know what time I'll be back, tough shit, because I don't know until/unless I finally make it back.

If it makes you feel better to have people keeping tabs on you all the fucking time, that's your prerogative, but I find life to be "awesomer" when I'm pedaling around the backyard with the fucking training wheels on.
Point. Missed.

Jesus Christ. If it's one thing I'll never understand, it's the affrontery people take at how other people conduct themselves when it has shit all to do with them. Live your life the way you want to live it and more power to you. Congratulations. I'm as libertarian as they come in that respect. You don't see me sitting here taking offense because you choose to do whatever it is you choose to do. Run free!

I was explaining how dynamics work in a certain group of people and why that dynamic gets the job done in assuring that your friends are not harmed when they have lost the capacity to make decisions for themselves.

I care fuck all what you think of the culture that fosters that dynamic and I fail to understand why you are getting your panties in a twist about it.

Congratulations. You're a grown fucking man who doesn't need or want anything to do with that particular dynamic. Did something I say lead you to believe that you should adopt that way of behaving? Because other people behave this way, does it have fuck all to do with your autonomy?

I offered this anecdote as one option to curb catastrophe when you plan to go out and get shit faced drunk. I.E., have a social group on whom you can rely and who has your back. You offered yours. The difference is, I'm not going on about how you fucking suck.

So, you know, feel free to go fuck yourself.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

katamari Damassi wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
(stuff where I helped and Jenna Marbles raped a Christmas tree)
Thank you!
You're most welcome!

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

JackRayner wrote:Kind of entertaining seeing the current back and forth on the topic of letting your friends go and hook up while drunk/the buddy system. I'm not sure what side of things I fall on, though I definitely did not like the mandatory nature of the buddy system back when I was in.

It's a big gray area that I think should be left up to the individual, and their choice of friends. Saying that it wold be nice to have someone intervene when you're about to do something stupid or regrettable, or even that it is what you would expect from a *friend*, is not the same as saying that they are responsible for your actions.
Like I said above, this "social contract" goes both ways. I have your back and I'm going to look out for you. You have my back and you're going to look out for me. However, if you keep doing stupid shit, then eventually you're going to be on your own.

It's pretty simple. You're free to abdicate personal responsibility once and a while and the group will make sure you're not going to suffer too much for it, but it only goes so far.

decius

Post by decius »

John Brown wrote: Oh, aren't you just adorable? Bless your cotton socks.

If you don't identify with the group I'm talking about and have no interest in belonging to such a group, why the fuck are you taking this so personally?

You *are* sorry for the interruption. Now, you can feel free to apologize anytime you wish.
Because I happened to be drafted into the Italian army, back when military service was still compulsory. there. Not my choice, you see, to waste an year of youth amongst the most brainfucked people I've ever had the misfortune to share meatspace with. Don't take it personally, though. I still managed to do fuck I wanted most of the time, and that involved breaking just about every rule in the book. It kept me sane but it put me in a direct collision course with your school of thought more than once.

Apart from that, I don't like to divulge my personal story on line. Suffice to say, that intoxication, partying and clubbing has had a major role in it for a long time and my direct experience directly contradict the anecdotes involving your comrades you shared. It's also clear that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, when it comes to nightlife and luddite social interactions, just like I wouldn't be able to pontificate meaningfully about military matters.
Having said that, I guess both of us chose the lifestyle which best suited us and I shall leave it there without rancour.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Rystefn wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

If it makes you feel better to have people keeping tabs on you all the fucking time, that's your prerogative, but I find life to be "awesomer" when I'm [not] pedaling around the backyard with the fucking training wheels on.
John Brown wrote:Point. Missed.

Jesus Christ. If it's one thing I'll never understand, it's the affrontery people take at how other people conduct themselves when it has shit all to do with them. Live your life the way you want to live it and more power to you. Congratulations. I'm as libertarian as they come in that respect. You don't see me sitting here taking offense because you choose to do whatever it is you choose to do. Run free!

I was explaining how dynamics work in a certain group of people and why that dynamic gets the job done in assuring that your friends are not harmed when they have lost the capacity to make decisions for themselves.

I care fuck all what you think of the culture that fosters that dynamic and I fail to understand why you are getting your panties in a twist about it.

Congratulations. You're a grown fucking man who doesn't need or want anything to do with that particular dynamic. Did something I say lead you to believe that you should adopt that way of behaving? Because other people behave this way, does it have fuck all to do with your autonomy?

I offered this anecdote as one option to curb catastrophe when you plan to go out and get shit faced drunk. I.E., have a social group on whom you can rely and who has your back. You offered yours. The difference is, I'm not going on about how you fucking suck.

So, you know, feel free to go fuck yourself.
Stop taking shit so personal, dick. You said how you did it, I said I fucking hated having that shit pushed on me when I was in the Army (and it is pushed, hard as fuck). Someone else posted some bullshit sarcastic "big man" response to me, and I replied to that. I ain't talking to you anymore, so why the fuck are you flapping your gums? Get over yourself, bitch, you ain't that important.

decius

Post by decius »

I meant to write ludic, not luddite.

Post by Guest »

decius wrote:
Is being accused of rape worse than death? Or is that only if you're the rapee?

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

decius wrote:
John Brown wrote: Oh, aren't you just adorable? Bless your cotton socks.

Because I happened to be drafted into the Italian army, back when military service was still compulsory. there. Not my choice, you see, to waste an year of youth amongst the most brainfucked people I've ever had the misfortune to share meatspace with. Don't take it personally, though. I still managed to do fuck I wanted most of the time, and that involved breaking just about every rule in the book. It kept me sane but it put me in a direct collision course with your school of thought more than once.

Apart from that, I don't like to divulge my personal story on line. Suffice to say, that intoxication, partying and clubbing has had a major role in it for a long time and my direct experience directly contradict the anecdotes involving your comrades you shared. It's also clear that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, when it comes to nightlife and luddite social interactions, just like I wouldn't be able to pontificate meaningfully about military matters.
Having said that, I guess both of us chose the lifestyle which best suited us and I shall leave it there without rancour.
Fair enough, and cheers.

Just to note, there are differences in our circumstances. Where you were drafted, I volunteered, and re-enlisted two times, so I chose that lifestyle. Had I been drafted into it, I would have fought it with every fiber of my being. I don't cotton to being forced to do things I don't want to do. So, I can certainly empathize with your point of view.

I have no love for the military as a whole. If I had my way, the military would be completely stripped down and contained solely within our own borders with little forward projection capabilities.

So, really, no offense taken. I view my time in the military as a tiny, tiny fraction of who I am and what I'm about. If you were to walk into my house, you would detect absolutely no trace that I was ever in.

The original point I was making was an analogous one. It's not wise to go off drinking to excess by yourself among people you don't know very well.

It's probably wise to drink with people you trust and who you know will look after your best interests should you falter.

Are we good?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Outwest wrote:podcast stuff
One time while doing Angry Mac Bastards our third partner's audio failed in the awesomest way possible. Basically his local recording ended up sounding like an hour of Daft Punk. So what else would we do but include a few seconds of that at the very front of the next show. Like less than a minute of noise.

We received dozens of panicky messages from people who obviously hadn't bothered to listen to a full 60 seconds of the show before flipping out and twittering at us.

Honestly, the worst part of having a podcast is the audience.

And don't get me going about the creepy loons who seek us out at Macworld. Those deranged freaks would leave Watson in a gibbering puddle.