Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
decius wrote:
Remick wrote: Google has always been that. Just because most people can't be bothered to pay attention, is hardly google's fault. From the start, they sold search info to companies. They still sell "you" to companies, but it is generic, anonymous "you".
It can also be set to not store search results and other sensitive information. As you say, people can't be bothered to learn how things work.
Google privacy settings, like Facebook, and really, any free social service's apply to other people. They don't apply to the service itself, and they don't apply to the real customers, namely advertisers. If you aren't paying, you're being sold, and I'd not be too comfortable with the anonimizing shit, barring google et al opening the doors up a lot more.

Given that's google's only reliable income stream, don't hold your breath.
Hope you don't read any newspapers or watch TV.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gumby wrote:Renee, don't you dare contradict PZ when the topic is women. Why, he's been a retroactive ardent feminist since he was 15! Just ask his Trophy Wife!
LOL I'd post on his stupid blog if he didn't have me blocked. And, no, I won't do what a lackey or 2 of his has suggested and pretended to be someone other than myself to sneak in a post. I just want to smack him with a fucking "think you dumbass" brick so he'd realize that he's working with 1/2 of the figures. It's amazing to me he's a fucking scientist let alone someone teaching.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote:PZ's the only one getting the kinds of hits that make FTB any money. Of course he'll kiss PZ's ass.
Exactly. And after seeing so many examples of how PZ and his cultish thugs harass, defame and bully people they consider enemies or traitors, I bet he's afraid of losing more than his network if he publicly defies PZ and PZ leaves in a huff. Ed has a fairly stellar reputation, and PZ and his minions would likely try to leave that in tatters. Not that they'd succeed, but I'm thinking he wants no part of that tired nonsense.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Gumby wrote:Renee, don't you dare contradict PZ when the topic is women. Why, he's been a retroactive ardent feminist since he was 15! Just ask his Trophy Wife!
LOL I'd post on his stupid blog if he didn't have me blocked. And, no, I won't do what a lackey or 2 of his has suggested and pretended to be someone other than myself to sneak in a post. I just want to smack him with a fucking "think you dumbass" brick so he'd realize that he's working with 1/2 of the figures. It's amazing to me he's a fucking scientist let alone someone teaching.
Well, you know he'd just double down, and his mindless comment-bots would just robotically attack you. They never, ever admit they're wrong. It's their first commandment. But if it helps, at least you know he read your words here.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Outwest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:My general take on PZ's latest dumbassery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmaEfXCmT0 (figured I'd let you go to it if you want and not force you to view it here, yeah, I'm nice like that sometimes).
That was a nice rant about complete fuckwittery of some people. What I was trying to say on twitter, and failing I think, is that $429/mo would not necessarily pay for multiple childern in the home. I have one, and based on my salary, I pay close to $600. And then I pay all her medical/dental, plus before/after school care ($100/week).

They also have some strange laws here concerning "other children in the home". Meaning, maybe your new spose, SO, whatever has a child or two living there as well. I have a friend that not only pays for his 2 girls, but a "little" extra because his ex has 2 more children by her current husband.
This is just astronomical to me. My ex pays $700 for 2 kids aged 13 and 15. He makes rather decent money but has an addiction problem (gambling). My other child doesn't even factor in and I wouldn't want her to. That all being said, I think that $429/month is across the nation and is for 1 child. I could be totally wrong. Personally, I think it should be mandatory to sit down and figure out the actual expenses, look at the incomes of both parents, and do the split on that and nothing else. Honestly, things like phone, Internet access, and many other extras should never come into play.

My whole issue is that PZ clearly has no clue that the number he put out is supposed to represent *1/2* of the cost of raising a child (whether or not that number is accurate). He blithely goes on as if the woman shouldn't be working and should be all up in arms over not having the *entire* amount paid out by the man. It's fucking irritating.
He also ignores lawyerless divorces, where the people involved don't want to do anything but end the marriage as quickly and painlessly as possible. Mine was like that. We made the decision, got very logical about things, had a friend who was a lawyer write up the papers. No alimony, no child support. I had primary custody, (he turned 19 not too long ago, so I don't think custody applies any more), and because of how things were financially, she had no way to pay child support. I didn't need it, so I didn't even ask. Total courtroom time was about 15 minutes. The judge was rather surprised, I don't think that kind of thing is common.

So there was no money involved with mine. Had there been, it would have been me collecting anyway, so PZ's little brain would have fucking popped over that. He reminds me of a few Ph.Ds I've worked with, in that he confuses deep knowledge in one area with deep knowledge in many areas, and refuses to acknowledge anyone without a Ph.D as being smarter than he is.

So yeah, he's regularly a dumbass.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote:
decius wrote:
Remick wrote: Google has always been that. Just because most people can't be bothered to pay attention, is hardly google's fault. From the start, they sold search info to companies. They still sell "you" to companies, but it is generic, anonymous "you".
It can also be set to not store search results and other sensitive information. As you say, people can't be bothered to learn how things work.
Google privacy settings, like Facebook, and really, any free social service's apply to other people. They don't apply to the service itself, and they don't apply to the real customers, namely advertisers. If you aren't paying, you're being sold, and I'd not be too comfortable with the anonimizing shit, barring google et al opening the doors up a lot more.

Given that's google's only reliable income stream, don't hold your breath.
Show me the major non-advertising income for google that is 25% or more of their gross.

Hope you don't read any newspapers or watch TV.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Ah right, so if google just sold some more chrome-books you'd have no problem.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Credit to OOdie Smith for this picture of a poor victim with no friends...boo hoo
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/poorgreg.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
welch wrote:PZ's the only one getting the kinds of hits that make FTB any money. Of course he'll kiss PZ's ass.
Exactly. And after seeing so many examples of how PZ and his cultish thugs harass, defame and bully people they consider enemies or traitors, I bet he's afraid of losing more than his network if he publicly defies PZ and PZ leaves in a huff. Ed has a fairly stellar reputation, and PZ and his minions would likely try to leave that in tatters. Not that they'd succeed, but I'm thinking he wants no part of that tired nonsense.
That's the danger of a superstar. When they turn out to be an untrustable, unctuous, vicious, jackanape, you're fucked. Ed hitched his horse to PZ just before PZ gave up all pretense of decency, and now Ed discovers that PZ is naught but yet another McCarthy retread. Unfortunately, PZ has actual power there, and Ed seems unwilling to take the hit if zvain, cunt, Umbridge, tits, and cromulent leave. Oh and the other one, whatserface.

It's sad, because with who would be left, even counting Reed, he could have a decent site that could slowly grow into something worthwhile. But Ed can't take that risk, or won't, which makes me wonder how much of Ed's personal finances are tied to that site.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ophelia's dishonesty never ceases to amaze me:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 093276.png

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

codelette wrote:Mocking her stupid babble is mostly based on all her apologetics cause she was getting married. She basically just did a whole bunch of stuff that people do when they get married and decided that it was "feminist". Not changing lastnames is part of Hispanics cultures. A whole bunch of people don't get diamonds because they cannot afford it. And nowadays, brides get married in whatever color they see fit.
I've run into internet feminists & had shouting matches with them about how stupid-ass I think they are. Women who "don't change their name" or choose to get married not in white or whatever. I changed my husband's name, I got married in a black suit and tie (husband wore white). My dad refused to "give me away" because he thought the idea was fucking weird. AND IT WASN'T A BIG FUCKING DEAL. But the internet feminists are always OH THE PATRIARCHY IS MAKING ME DO ALL THESE THINGS OMFG my husband is SO OPPRESSED because I didn't change my name so people are questioning his MANHOOD.

I'm like motherfuck, really? Go buy your husband some fucking balls. If he can't answer the question "why didn't your wife change her name" with "MY WIFE IS FUCKING AWESOME AND IT IS A COOL NAME" then wtf. I'm sure not changing your name and that shit would be a little radical in the 60s (LIKE WHEN MY FUCKING MOTHER DID IT) but this is the fucking tenties.

Fuck they are so fucking useless and so fucking whiny.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

ReneeHendricks wrote:My whole issue is that PZ clearly has no clue that the number he put out is supposed to represent *1/2* of the cost of raising a child (whether or not that number is accurate). He blithely goes on as if the woman shouldn't be working and should be all up in arms over not having the *entire* amount paid out by the man. It's fucking irritating.
Well, a woman's place is in the home raising children and definitely not working.

I love PZ feminism.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

What I put on PZ's dumbass post (http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-521472):
First, the number put out by PZ should be recognized as *half* of the cost of taking care of a child yearly. That being said, if PZ had looked at the link provided, he’d see that women pay less than men in as far as support for a child and are more likely to have custody than men. I find it somewhat disingenuous that PZ has no desire to dig a bit deeper other than the very limited information that he puts out to his readers.

My ex and I sat down and looked at our finances as well as our income. We came up with an equitable split based on this information. Despite what has been put out by others commenting, things like phone, Internet, cable, etal are not items that should be expected to be paid for by the other party. They are not necessary or vital to taking care of one’s children. Unfortunately, the courts in the US are skewed towards the mother. It happens time and time again. This is why I purposely proposed an equitable split with my ex. I only wish more did this. And I wish PZ would update this post to be more accurate (the amount of money paid in support *not* being the total amount to take care of a child *and* that the custodial parent should contribute as well).
I'm sure it will be deleted.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:Ah right, so if google just sold some more chrome-books you'd have no problem.
Google doesn't make computers. They make two operating systems, chromeOS and Android. Google branded hardware is oem'd. Even on the chromebook site, google is branding that shit, but it's the "chromebook from Samsung/acer/etc."

They don't turn a dime on OS licensing. It's all advertising. Really. Google would love to have another income stream, but the only one that's close is Apps for Enterprise, and as someone who runs a couple of instances the $50 per person per year price is still overcharging for what you really get.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Reap wrote:Credit to OOdie Smith for this picture of a poor victim with no friends...boo hoo
:lol: What a fuckin dolt. Greg gets hurt feefees because not enough of his pals were prepared to big up his book. Forgets that maybe said pals have principles, and might not have been as comfortable as Steffy in praising such utter shit.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Reap wrote:Credit to OOdie Smith for this picture of a poor victim with no friends...boo hoo
Oh man, what a hoot.

"This is the sort of thing I have to deal with because I declared myself, publicly, to be a feminist."
Nope, it's because you're a creepy bully, pathological liar serial doxxer, and complete douchebag.

And the reason so many of the people you thought were your allies didn't help you with your book reviews, is because they have finally figured out what so many have known for so long... that you are a creepy bully, pathological liar, harasser, serial doxxer, and complete douchebag.

You're fucking yourself into the ground and you're too stupid to realize it. Chump.

xinit

Post by xinit »

"That is the sort of thing I have to deal with because I declared myself, publicly, to be a feminist"

I think there's a teensy bit of a logical fallacy in that statement, Greg. I know that fftb world is a black and white (wait, can I say black?) world, but I have a feeling you're being targeted for much more than that, you crazy motherfucker.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:
codelette wrote:Mocking her stupid babble is mostly based on all her apologetics cause she was getting married. She basically just did a whole bunch of stuff that people do when they get married and decided that it was "feminist". Not changing lastnames is part of Hispanics cultures. A whole bunch of people don't get diamonds because they cannot afford it. And nowadays, brides get married in whatever color they see fit.
I've run into internet feminists & had shouting matches with them about how stupid-ass I think they are. Women who "don't change their name" or choose to get married not in white or whatever. I changed my husband's name, I got married in a black suit and tie (husband wore white). My dad refused to "give me away" because he thought the idea was fucking weird. AND IT WASN'T A BIG FUCKING DEAL. But the internet feminists are always OH THE PATRIARCHY IS MAKING ME DO ALL THESE THINGS OMFG my husband is SO OPPRESSED because I didn't change my name so people are questioning his MANHOOD.

I'm like motherfuck, really? Go buy your husband some fucking balls. If he can't answer the question "why didn't your wife change her name" with "MY WIFE IS FUCKING AWESOME AND IT IS A COOL NAME" then wtf. I'm sure not changing your name and that shit would be a little radical in the 60s (LIKE WHEN MY FUCKING MOTHER DID IT) but this is the fucking tenties.

Melissa kept her name. She rather likes it, and has built a business around it, so she kept it. What kind if fuckwit friends do these idiots have who care so much about it.

Ironically, the person who assumed Melissa had taken my name before anyone else?

Laden. In the same comment where he wanted proof she used the "harsh" language I said she does. Sorry dude, she still says you're a cunt for that.

A purple of Mel's aunts & uncles are JWs and had some issues with that.they were easily settled when her asshole fiancée said "they don't have to like it. They just have to shut up about it. Or, not come to the wedding. Either action is acceptable."

They all caved.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

So passive aggressive.

xinit

Post by xinit »

GregLadenWhining wrote: What I found disturbing, though, is that many of the individuals who I thought were allies, whom I've helped before with this sort of thing in the past, have managed to ignore my very direct request for help [...] depressing holiday season for me [...] makes me realize that I have been something of a chump over the last couple of years
Maybe they're not mental health professionals and don't feel that they're qualified to give you the help you seem to need, Greg?

Regardless, here's hoping for another FTB schism! :popcorn:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote:
Gumby wrote:
That's the danger of a superstar. When they turn out to be an untrustable, unctuous, vicious, jackanape, you're fucked. Ed hitched his horse to PZ just before PZ gave up all pretense of decency, and now Ed discovers that PZ is naught but yet another McCarthy retread. Unfortunately, PZ has actual power there, and Ed seems unwilling to take the hit if zvain, cunt, Umbridge, tits, and cromulent leave. Oh and the other one, whatserface.

It's sad, because with who would be left, even counting Reed, he could have a decent site that could slowly grow into something worthwhile. But Ed can't take that risk, or won't, which makes me wonder how much of Ed's personal finances are tied to that site.
I have no idea about the finances obviously. But maybe more important is that it's more than likely that he conceived FTB with the idea that it would be a prominent and important part of his legacy that he could proudly point to as one of his greatest accomplishments. Well the way things are going, FTB will indeed be a prominent and important part of his legacy, but not the way he wanted it to be. At this point, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, re PZ and his cult. I do have some sympathy for Ed. But not much sympathy, because his looking the other way and whistling in the dark while PZ went bonkers makes him very much at fault for the situation he now finds himself in.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Oh, please, please, *please* stick the flounce.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

rayshul wrote: Fuck they are so fucking useless and so fucking whiny.
And so fucking smug. From one of Valenti's self-serving Guardian articles:
But mostly there were plenty of congratulations and hundreds of comments from other feminists on the ways their political beliefs had informed their weddings and marriages. EmilyKennedy wrote about her purple wedding dress, lack of a diamond ring and her decision not to have a "crap-tastic white cake". ShifterCat told of a friend's wedding where, as a small memento, every guest received "a little scroll saying that a donation has been made in their name to Habitat For Humanity". Another reader told me about a website - offbeatbride.com - that was a good alternative to the frou-frou sites that seem to dominate the wedding-based blogosphere. This was the kind of advice I was looking for.
Well now I feel terribly guilty for being a gender traitor, while the feminist sisters are fighting the patriarchy in the midst of their wedding preparations.
Andrew and I believe in eating locally – so all of the food and wine was from farmers in the Hudson Valley; nothing came from more than 100 miles away. We had a kick-ass jazz and swing band because Andrew was a part of the swing-dance scene in CA when he was younger. We all rented an old stone house – the house we’d get married in – for the weekend so our families and close friends could be together and celebrate, and so we could be reminded about what family and community means to us. We had our closest friends do readings to honor our relationships with them. We had a “declaration of consent,” from our guests because we believe a marriage needs the support of a community. We scattered little Moo cards around that let our guests know that we’d donated to an organization supporting same-sex marriage in lieu of buying favors. We had a bouquet toss to all of the single dudes at the wedding (Lori‘s man caught it!). I bought a non-white dress.
The "old stone house" is referred to as a "private estate" in the NYT Vows article. Wow they're just so progressive and selfless. :roll:

Darren

Post by Darren »

ReneeHendricks wrote:What I put on PZ's dumbass post (http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-521472):
[Slymepitter post deleted, and commenter banned.]
I'm sure it will be deleted.
FTFY

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote:Ah right, so if google just sold some more chrome-books you'd have no problem.
Google doesn't make computers. They make two operating systems, chromeOS and Android. Google branded hardware is oem'd. Even on the chromebook site, google is branding that shit, but it's the "chromebook from Samsung/acer/etc."

They don't turn a dime on OS licensing. It's all advertising. Really. Google would love to have another income stream, but the only one that's close is Apps for Enterprise, and as someone who runs a couple of instances the $50 per person per year price is still overcharging for what you really get.
Alright, lets forget about google for a second. If Facebook had a subscription version, call it Facebook+, that got rid of the ads... Are you saying you'd forget about their regular business model of selling targeted ads based on user info? Would you be more willing to hand over information just because they've got another revenue stream?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Darren wrote:
Oh, please, please, *please* stick the flounce.
Trolls never, ever, stick the flounce. If someone announces the flounce, they're not going anywhere.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I called it :D Deleted. At least we have it here for others to read!

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gumby wrote:Trolls never, ever, stick the flounce.
Yes, yes, but what about idiots?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I called it :D Deleted. At least we have it here for others to read!
Nice to know that a week or so after the Mayan Apocalypse, the world still works the way we expect it to, and we haven't been shifted to some alternate universe or something.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Outwest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:My general take on PZ's latest dumbassery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmaEfXCmT0 (figured I'd let you go to it if you want and not force you to view it here, yeah, I'm nice like that sometimes).
That was a nice rant about complete fuckwittery of some people. What I was trying to say on twitter, and failing I think, is that $429/mo would not necessarily pay for multiple childern in the home. I have one, and based on my salary, I pay close to $600. And then I pay all her medical/dental, plus before/after school care ($100/week).

They also have some strange laws here concerning "other children in the home". Meaning, maybe your new spose, SO, whatever has a child or two living there as well. I have a friend that not only pays for his 2 girls, but a "little" extra because his ex has 2 more children by her current husband.
This is just astronomical to me. My ex pays $700 for 2 kids aged 13 and 15. He makes rather decent money but has an addiction problem (gambling). My other child doesn't even factor in and I wouldn't want her to. That all being said, I think that $429/month is across the nation and is for 1 child. I could be totally wrong. Personally, I think it should be mandatory to sit down and figure out the actual expenses, look at the incomes of both parents, and do the split on that and nothing else. Honestly, things like phone, Internet access, and many other extras should never come into play.

My whole issue is that PZ clearly has no clue that the number he put out is supposed to represent *1/2* of the cost of raising a child (whether or not that number is accurate). He blithely goes on as if the woman shouldn't be working and should be all up in arms over not having the *entire* amount paid out by the man. It's fucking irritating.
It's all about ginning up the wrath of the faithful, and nothing else. Reason? That went out the door over there a long time ago. Debate? :lol:

fascination

Post by fascination »

Scented Nectar wrote: There are a few posts and videos I did on it, but they are a bit scattered around and mixed with other stuff.

Some is at http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2010/12/hello.html
and http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... s-ago.html
and http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... about.html (just last paragraph)
and http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2011/ ... terms.html (has a picture of me about 30 years ago when I was a man-hating radfem, fully brainwashed and spouting the same garbage current ones do)
Thanks for sharing those; they were all fascinating. Oh, and I loved that picture of you!

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

:crying-yellow: Anyone have a tissue?

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

GretaChristina_OnAlsVid.jpg
(26.53 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Unbelievable.. Its 40+ years of modern feminism, and these guys are nowhere near happy.
What is the punishment for apostasy in FTB feminism?

cunt

Post by cunt »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:
[img]http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/poorgrg.jpg[/mg]
:crying-yellow: Anyone have a tissue?
Pathetic little shit.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Walter Ego wrote:
fascination wrote: Does anyone know if [EllenBeth Wachs] is MyCatsAremyGods on You Tube?
One and the same. I tangled with the Cat Lady last month on You Tube over the Rebecca Watson speech in Florida and made several catty videos about her (which I've since removed). She accused me of being a stalker and then, ironically, her real internet stalker showed up on my channel under three different socks. I blocked the socks and the Cat Lady and I have agreed to disagree.
Thank you for confirming my suspicion. Thank you to everyone else who answered my question also.
I remembered watching a video you did about her on YT but I couldn't find it so I wasn't sure. I discontinued my conversation with her as it was going nowhere. I repeatedly offered to show her evidence and she repeatedly ignored it. She seems to be firmly convinced that she is right and will not even look at evidence to the contrary.

lolie

Post by lolie »

From Ed Braytons blog.
"I find the stridently anti-FTB crowd to generally range from the ridiculous to the odious...."

Even by the second sentence Ed has set the scene for the well poisoning. Eds entire post is a fairly good example of fact free well poisoning.

Can we have an example of this 'ridiculous' and 'odious' criticism such that we know that we are all talking about the same thing? Or does Ed count the 90+ % of bitingly accurate, valid and non-strident criticism of FTB as 'ridiculous' and 'odious'?

Some of the comments made me giggle too!
http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... eist-cult/
Reginald Selkirk
December 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm (UTC -5)
A cult? Who would say such a thing? Why, Ed Brayton is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=vtSr2tZItFY
"Fuck you, thunderfoot. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. That is the only response you deserve from me, you unethical asshole, and it is all you will ever get."
Ed Brayton in reply to Thunderf00t (Show the comment) 1 month ago

fascination

Post by fascination »

BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia's dishonesty never ceases to amaze me:

Hmm...Did she forget that she called Shermer a jackass, combed through books and articles of his to try to find things to twist and quote mine, wrote 5 blog posts about him in a short span of time, implied he was a sexist and kept tweeting him over and over even though he wasn't replying to her?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

astrokid.nj wrote:
Unbelievable.. Its 40+ years of modern feminism, and these guys are nowhere near happy.
"Have you considered the possibility that you're treated the way you are because not being a feminist is reprehensible?"

There is so much fail in that statement.

1) Not being a feminist is not necessarily reprehensible at all. Being a misogynist (the real definition of misogynist, not theirs), is reprehensible. Not caring about your fellow human beings, regardless of gender, is reprehensible. Feminism does not encompass humanism, no matter how you, Greta, and those A+ wankers you love so much pretend it does.

2) By "feminism", of course, ReGreta means "FTB/A+/Skepchick's definition of feminism", leaving millions of devoted and long-term feminists (male and female) out in the cold. In Greta's warped mind, Harriet Hall is reprehensible, and so are many other feminists who have worked their asses off for many decades to pave the way for women's equality and rights. If you don't conform exactly to the FTBullies nth-wave Bizarro World definition of "feminism" where all women are helpless victims, you're shit.

Fuck you Greta. To borrow an old and tired FTB meme, You Don't Get To define what constitutes feminism, and You Don't Get To label who is and who isn't a feminist based on your own screwy definitions.

xinit

Post by xinit »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I called it :D Deleted. At least we have it here for others to read!
Cute how a relatively innocuous comment looks like it was nothing but a stream of profanity and irrational accusations once it's removed and replaced with "DELETED SLYMEPITTER"... Is the "F" in FTB for Fallacy?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

fascination wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia's dishonesty never ceases to amaze me:

Hmm...Did she forget that she called Shermer a jackass, combed through books and articles of his to try to find things to twist and quote mine, wrote 5 blog posts about him in a short span of time, implied he was a sexist and kept tweeting him over and over even though he wasn't replying to her?
"Rhetorically bludgeoned" = "Sharply criticized"
"Left TAM because a T-Shirt made me feel oppressed and I cried" = "feminist"

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

astrokid.nj wrote:
Greta really need to start understanding how analogy works. it isn't how she thinks. she's attempting to pull the same slight of hand creationists use in their debating tactics. Being opposed to a political movement is not analogous to racism, nor is it analogous to homophobia. How many times does it have to be explained to you Greta. Feminism is not about "equality for woman" it includes a cartload of presupposition and dogmatic bullshit, that you are trying to foist onto a community whose who purpose for existence is the rejection of presupposition and dogma.

saying "I am not a feminist" is not analogous to saying "I hate women" or "woman are lesser beings than men" It is a rejection of ideology.

Greta you may as well be a poster on a theist site, and in your diatribe replace the word "feminist" with "believer"

codelette

Post by codelette »

rayshul wrote:

Damn right!
When people ask me at work "So your husband is Joe XYZ?", I answer "No, he's Joe ABC". When I get the quizzical face and the question "So, how it be if you have children?", I use it as an opportunity to educate people about Hispanic culture. I tell them that the hypothetical children -according to our culture- will be Jane or Joe ABC XYZ. I further explain the fact that Hispanics get both the father's and mother's family last names, as in our culture marriage is about the unity of two families not the incorporation of a woman into another family. Most people are just fascinated about learning of different cultures.

BTW, talking 'bout "feminist heroes"
Melody Hensley ‏@MelodyHensley
#FF men who stand up to misogyny 2/2: @lousycanuck @MartinPribble @pzmyers @jamiekilstein @timminchin @derekcbart @gregladen @Crommunist
Expand
lol. Greg Laden stand up to misogyny by telling some women to "get off the rag", right?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Za-zen wrote:
astrokid.nj wrote:
Greta really need to start understanding how analogy works. it isn't how she thinks. she's attempting to pull the same slight of hand creationists use in their debating tactics. Being opposed to a political movement is not analogous to racism, nor is it analogous to homophobia. How many times does it have to be explained to you Greta. Feminism is not about "equality for woman" it includes a cartload of presupposition and dogmatic bullshit, that you are trying to foist onto a community whose who purpose for existence is the rejection of presupposition and dogma.

saying "I am not a feminist" is not analogous to saying "I hate women" or "woman are lesser beings than men" It is a rejection of ideology.

Greta you may as well be a poster on a theist site, and in your diatribe replace the word "feminist" with "believer"
Yeah, back in the days when I used to bother with fundies, when they found out I'm an atheist, out came the accusations of "You hate God" and "you hate Christians". Same thing.

I'm against white supremacist groups, but that doesn't mean I hate white people.

codelette

Post by codelette »

welch wrote: Melissa kept her name. She rather likes it, and has built a business around it, so she kept it. What kind if fuckwit friends do these idiots have who care so much about it.

Ironically, the person who assumed Melissa had taken my name before anyone else?

Laden. In the same comment where he wanted proof she used the "harsh" language I said she does. Sorry dude, she still says you're a cunt for that.

A purple of Mel's aunts & uncles are JWs and had some issues with that.they were easily settled when her asshole fiancée said "they don't have to like it. They just have to shut up about it. Or, not come to the wedding. Either action is acceptable."

They all caved.
He presumed that cause his wife took his name. Way to go, Laden, you're such a Feminist Hero.
Laden, motherfucker (cause I know you lurk), I'm not a feminist and I:
1) didn't take my husband's name
2) am the main breadwinner of this household (make pretty decent dough, way more than Peezus BTW)
3) have a "manly" career
4) don't need white knighting from cunts like yourself

:hankey:

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Dilurk wrote:
windy wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
Dilurk wrote:Maria (Bluharmony) takes solid aim at the insanity of the FfTB with her latest piece
http://skepticink.com/skepticallyleft/2 ... he-trolls/

Go over have a read.
Damn. I wanna be Maria when I grow up. She's eloquent, funny and speaks with power. Of all the skeptic "leaders" I relate to her the most, not just in atheism, but politically too. I just love reading her stuff.
Have to say, I'm a bit wary after her earlier "waah, please take me back PZ and Ophelia, I'm not like those meanies at the Pit" phase. But it seems that at least a few people are now realizing that begging didn't get them out of Fair Game status, so they might as well speak up- encouraging signs.
I think some of us (mea culpa) thought that these people were willing to be adults on the Internet and it would be possible to have a reconciliation. We have realized they aren't interested at all in being adults and their only interest is blog hits.
Came here to say pretty much this. Even I've tried burying the hatchet with one or two of them, even cleaned up my side of the street with Watson about my reddit post that i ended with "tl;dr: Rebecca Watson is a bitch," but she pretended not to know what I was talking about. Tl;dr: She's still a bitch.

codelette

Post by codelette »

BarnOwl wrote:
rayshul wrote: Fuck they are so fucking useless and so fucking whiny.
And so fucking smug. From one of Valenti's self-serving Guardian articles:
But mostly there were plenty of congratulations and hundreds of comments from other feminists on the ways their political beliefs had informed their weddings and marriages. EmilyKennedy wrote about her purple wedding dress, lack of a diamond ring and her decision not to have a "crap-tastic white cake". ShifterCat told of a friend's wedding where, as a small memento, every guest received "a little scroll saying that a donation has been made in their name to Habitat For Humanity". Another reader told me about a website - offbeatbride.com - that was a good alternative to the frou-frou sites that seem to dominate the wedding-based blogosphere. This was the kind of advice I was looking for.
Well now I feel terribly guilty for being a gender traitor, while the feminist sisters are fighting the patriarchy in the midst of their wedding preparations.
Andrew and I believe in eating locally – so all of the food and wine was from farmers in the Hudson Valley; nothing came from more than 100 miles away. We had a kick-ass jazz and swing band because Andrew was a part of the swing-dance scene in CA when he was younger. We all rented an old stone house – the house we’d get married in – for the weekend so our families and close friends could be together and celebrate, and so we could be reminded about what family and community means to us. We had our closest friends do readings to honor our relationships with them. We had a “declaration of consent,” from our guests because we believe a marriage needs the support of a community. We scattered little Moo cards around that let our guests know that we’d donated to an organization supporting same-sex marriage in lieu of buying favors. We had a bouquet toss to all of the single dudes at the wedding (Lori‘s man caught it!). I bought a non-white dress.
The "old stone house" is referred to as a "private estate" in the NYT Vows article. Wow they're just so progressive and selfless. :roll:
Hahaha. And the little reminder for guests "hey, didn't get a favor cause we donated the money". Cheap ass motherfuckers. They couldn't give the guests some chocolates AND donate to charity as well?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

codelette wrote:He presumed that cause his wife took his name. Way to go, Laden, you're such a Feminist Hero.
2) am the main breadwinner of this household (make pretty decent dough, way more than Peezus BTW)
3) have a "manly" career
I'm ditto on all of the above. Among my friends and colleagues this situation is considered "normal".

cunt

Post by cunt »

Gumby wrote: "Left TAM because a T-Shirt made me feel oppressed and I cried" = "feminist"
Left TAM because a t-shirt, fake jewellery, and they didn't enforce an anti-harrassment policy to my exact specifications (which constantly change depending on my mood).

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Sarah Moglia's Facebook page profile is publicly viewable. There's a photo, below, which has some interesting comments. I've hidden Sarah's face, as it's irrelevant and too intrusive. Note that Sarah, the ultra feminist, is one of the 5 people who "liked" the highlighted comment:

http://i.imgur.com/quR8K.jpg

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I think Greg's tragic tale needs the usual soundtrack to be played while you read it.

[youtube]C6ZDsUGiGqM[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I can *feel* Ladens enemies list getting longer-- They didnt back him up? Now they will pay the price.

Im assuming that is part of why Svan is always defending him-- like why Tom Cruise wont quit Scientology. Scared to quit because they dont want to be The Target.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

cunt wrote:
Gumby wrote: "Left TAM because a T-Shirt made me feel oppressed and I cried" = "feminist"
Left TAM because a t-shirt, fake jewellery, and they didn't enforce an anti-harrassment policy to my exact specifications (which constantly change depending on my mood).
Yeah, I really cracked up when she wrote about how the security people were "overbearing" and how the security cameras were harassing her by actually doing what it is that security cameras are designed to do.

Surly Amy was undoubtedly under strict orders from Rebecca Watson to declare TAM a disaster zone for women no matter what.

codelette

Post by codelette »

rayshul wrote:
codelette wrote:He presumed that cause his wife took his name. Way to go, Laden, you're such a Feminist Hero.
3) have a "manly" career
I'm ditto on all of the above. Among my friends and colleagues this situation is considered "normal".
Same here!
I dunno, I work with and around people who doesn't give too much of a fuck if you are black or white, man or woman...they just care about working with people that do their job, do it well and are not drama whores.
But then, we do tangible work (design, installation and maintenance of telecom networks); as opposed to assholes like Marcotte and Valenti whose commodities are navel-gazing and bitching about trivial shit.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ERV wrote:I can *feel* Ladens enemies list getting longer-- They didnt back him up? Now they will pay the price.

Im assuming that is part of why Svan is always defending him-- like why Tom Cruise wont quit Scientology. Scared to quit because they dont want to be The Target.
Which (without the Scientology reference) is precisely the point I made about Ed Brayton looking the other way and not trying to rein in PZ and his lunatic horde. Fair Game!

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

Belated FemmeXmas to FTB
[youtube]qFKmzR5Aejg[/youtube]

folks.. the truth is as strange as fiction. Did you know that the Portlandia Feminist Bookstore has a real-world "counterpart"?
[youtube]Ew5dI_zlhRA[/youtube]

franc

Post by franc »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2010/ ... alty-curr/

Wow! Greg is the WORST writer I have ever seen. Even my 10 year old writes better than that. WTF? And he claims to be an academic? ROFL! What a joke.
Actually, he claims to be a "bionthropologist". It says so on his twitter profile.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:
So passive aggressive.

What a crybaby. There's at least one fake bynkii account. Used to be more. I ignored them, mostly because they were lame.

I showed that post to Melissa: "whine, whine, whine. Pussy."

Maybe he should get off the Internet, given he can barely handle the rough and tumble world of the LD nursery in a hospital.

Although, given his maturity level, the fact his Facebook pic is that of a toddler is appropriate

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Sarah Moglia's Facebook page profile is publicly viewable. There's a photo, below, which has some interesting comments. I've hidden Sarah's face, as it's irrelevant and too intrusive. Note that Sarah, the ultra feminist, is one of the 5 people who "liked" the highlighted comment:

It's a woman saying it, so it doesn't count. :whistle:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

JackRayner wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Sarah Moglia's Facebook page profile is publicly viewable. There's a photo, below, which has some interesting comments. I've hidden Sarah's face, as it's irrelevant and too intrusive. Note that Sarah, the ultra feminist, is one of the 5 people who "liked" the highlighted comment:

It's a woman saying it, so it doesn't count. :whistle:
How dare you choose to identify xir as a woman? She could be binary, trans, pan, fluid or xir body could actually be housing the spirits of two native Americans.

You gender fascist.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote:

Alright, lets forget about google for a second. If Facebook had a subscription version, call it Facebook+, that got rid of the ads... Are you saying you'd forget about their regular business model of selling targeted ads based on user info? Would you be more willing to hand over information just because they've got another revenue stream?
There would have to be a looooooot of usable info to make that call. I mean a lot. Like the kind that can't be changed arbitrarily. I also have less of a problem with Facebook, because they make no pretense to being "open" or "not evil" or any of the rest of that idiocy that google spouts, while lying about the info they capture and what they do within. I know the deal with Facebook. They will use everything I give them, shamelessly, to make money.

Okay,that's fine. I know what you're doing. You aren't my friend, there's no pretense of higher purpose. You want me to use your service so you can sell me to the highest bidder. Creepy mark is still creepy, but you know he's creepy because he told you he was. If you still make him a part of your life, don't cry to me that he's creepy.

MS and Apple I like, because they're straightforward. They want my money, and they make stuff that they want me to trade my money to them in exchange for that stuff. If I never want to buy another fucking thing from them again, well, that's a shame, but vaya con dios and good luck.

Google is just always bullshitting me. They're open, but when they kill your Adwords account, they won't tell you why, because "that's not open". They "care about your privacy", but the lie about the data they sniff when they drive down your street taking pictures of your house, recording your wifi network, and then lie about how they destroyed it. When people complain about the wifi network thing, they tell you to change the name of your network so they know to not record it. Hey, how about you suck a dick on that, and have people who WANT that shit recorded opt-in, instead of making everyone opt out. They're all in favor of net neutrality, except for wireless and cell, because that would inconvenience Verizon, who they're in bed with.

They talk about "do no evil", and then redefine that like FTB redefines misogyny.

I got no problem with greed or rapacious companies, not really. But Google? They're the FTB of the tech world.