justinvacula

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by justinvacula »

What does this even mean?

http://i.imgur.com/2cfvg.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

justinvacula wrote:What does this even mean?

I believe that's referring to something Pappa said on an entirely different forum, completely unrelated to you or the Slimepit.

Welcome to the projected hivemind.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Also: I loved Hitchens so much.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:Also: I loved Hitchens so much.
He lost me when he went over to the Neocons on Iraq.

*sheesh* I better not get started. Even today people do not get what is going on. After the "weapons of mass destruction" and all the other nonsense was shown to be just that, no one apparently has asked what what they were being misdirected away from.

Even people who have read Chomsky appear to have said nothing.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:

I believe that's referring to something Pappa said on an entirely different forum, completely unrelated to you or the Slimepit.

Welcome to the projected hivemind.
And here is a link:
Would it be immoral to rape a Skepchick?

http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c8de261839

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Now this reminds me of the baboons for some reason:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... ick-fil-a/
It is not enough for many on your side to achieve your goals of legal equality. You seek to destroy anybody who dissents, including ruining them professionally.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Very excited, I'm getting my new snake today!!!

This has nothing to do with the current thread (or...does it?)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Is asking a sex worker for a refund Attempted rape?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Za-zen wrote:Is asking a sex worker for a refund Attempted rape?
Why would you even ask for a refund? Bad performance?

Git

Post by Git »

Meanwhile, I'm just wondering how many lines of coke Danny Boyle had used coming up with last night's performance...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Git wrote:Meanwhile, I'm just wondering how many lines of coke Danny Boyle had used coming up with last night's performance...

Not the same guy, then?

Git

Post by Git »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Git wrote:Meanwhile, I'm just wondering how many lines of coke Danny Boyle had used coming up with last night's performance...

Not the same guy, then?
[youtube]xW5abat5NEU[/youtube]

Although I'm a cynic when it comes to the games, to be fair, I was quite chuffed at that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Git wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Not the same guy, then?
[youtube]xW5abat5NEU[/youtube]

Although I'm a cynic when it comes to the games, to be fair, I was quite chuffed at that.
Can't watch in my country :(

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Well, I'll just go with the usual, then...

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:If I'd been there I would have been sorely tempted to gatecrash! If you happen to find out any more about this, please do let me know.
It started and finished so quickly, that there wouldn't have been time to get an elevator downstairs. It lasted all of maybe 5 minutes. As soon as I heard it start up, I grabbed my camera and rushed out to the balcony. Over on the YouTube comment page for it, one person is saying that it sounds like an Armenian instrument being played, and others have other guesses.

Hey, isn't THIS just a cut and paste someone did of [unnamed female offspring of youknowho]'s article that we all just read recently in the Wayback Machine? Meaning also, that Sally Strange has no idea that she's now arguing against one of the royal family.
http://www.scentednectar.com/sneerfacto ... ugh-03.gif
Horace AKA netnanny wrote:AndrewV69, people from the tropics never believe that we have worse insect infestations than they do. Clouds of mosquitos, literally.
West Nile virus is back again this year in some areas, as well.

Michael K Gray

Job Done.

Post by Michael K Gray »

Now that this once vital thread has devolved into a truly vapid stream of recipes, Cricket, pets, tone moderation, not real computer games as though they were real, cricket, weddings, stupid lame faked photos, questionable rhetoric against offspring, suggestions that are aimed at the relatives of unliked folk: "You will die a zero you worthless fuck - unlike most denizens here, you will not be missed. No one will miss you", musical suggestions, recipes, cricket, and so on, I hereby suggest that our, or "my", battle has been comprehensively won.

The FfTB spew-crew are now in critical melt-down mode.
They will now destroy themselves from within, of that I am confident.
My job is done.

I bid you all farewell, unless, or until, the ever-decreasing circle of FfTB acolytes actually re-exerts a significant effect on the world.
Those of you who have my email address are more than welcome to continued social intercourse.
But I have more important things to do than bitch about the tone of USA resident wimps.
(Read what I wrote about my prisoner-of-Japanese-War mate, whenever you wish to put things into perspective)

(Flounces off in white chiffon Lab Coat, (radiation particle-proof of course))

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

MIchael, surely the baboons haven't finished with their dramas. Come back during some of their future antics, and enjoy those with us.

franc

Re: Job Done.

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:(Flounces off in white chiffon Lab Coat, (radiation particle-proof of course))
Can you suck my balls first? Just gargle them like furry Maltesers. It would mean a lot to me.

Post by Guest »

As one who believes in absolute free speech, I cannot condone the banning of any word or term. I can understand the motivation of such intention, but it is ultimately wrong. It is ultimately wrong for a number of reasons, not least being that it is open to subjective interpretation. It is also wrong because those who seek to prohibit it may be doing so for ulteriot purposes, but even if they are genuinely altruistic, it is still wrong. It is actually in principle, a greater injustice to ban, than not to ban.

Free speech is one of the most fundamental rights we possess as humans. We relinquish it at our peril. No one has a right not be offended. However just because one has the right to exercise absolute free speech, does not automatically mean that it should be so. For with rights come responsibilities. So while I defend to the death the right of anyone to say anything, no matter what, it is wise to self censor and exercise caution also.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

As one who believes in absolute free speech, I cannot condone the banning of any word or term. I can understand the motivation of such intention, but it is ultimately wrong. It is ultimately wrong for a number of reasons, not least being that it is open to subjective interpretation. It is also wrong because those who seek to prohibit it may be doing so for ulteriot purposes, but even if they are genuinely altruistic, it is still wrong. It is actually in principle, a greater injustice to ban, than not to ban.

Free speech is one of the most fundamental rights we possess as humans. We relinquish it at our peril. No one has a right not be offended. However just because one has the right to exercise absolute free speech, does not automatically mean that it should be so. For with rights come responsibilities. So while I defend to the death the right of anyone to say anything, no matter what, it is wise to self censor and exercise caution also

surreptitious57

surreptitious57 wrote:As one who believes in absolute free speech, I cannot condone the banning of any word or term. I can understand the motivation of such intention, but it is ultimately wrong. It is ultimately wrong for a number of reasons, not least being that it is open to subjective interpretation. It is also wrong because those who seek to prohibit it may be doing so for ulterior purposes, but even if they are genuinely altruistic, it is still wrong. It is actually in principle, a greater injustice to ban, than not to ban.

Free speech is one of the most fundamental rights we possess as humans. We relinquish it at our peril. No one has a right not be offended. However just because one has the right to exercise absolute free speech, does not automatically mean that it should be so. For with rights come responsibilities. So while I defend to the death the right of anyone to say anything, no matter what, it is wise to self censor and exercise caution also

surreptitious57

As one who believes in absolute free speech, I cannot condone the banning of any word or term. I can understand the motivation of such intention, but it is ultimately wrong. It is ultimately wrong for a number of reasons, not least being that it is open to subjective interpretation. It is also wrong because those who seek to prohibit it may be doing so for ulterior purposes, but even if they are genuinely altruistic, it is still wrong. It is actually in principle, a greater injustice to ban, than not to ban.

Free speech is one of the most fundamental rights we possess as humans. We relinquish it at our peril. No one has a right not be offended. However just because one has the right to exercise absolute free speech, does not automatically mean that it should be so. For with rights come responsibilities. So while I defend to the death the right of anyone to say anything, no matter what, it is wise to self censor and exercise caution also.

surreptitious57

As one who believes in absolute free speech, I cannot condone the banning of any word or term. I can understand the motivation of such intention, but it is ultimately wrong. It is ultimately wrong for a number of reasons, not least being that it is open to subjective interpretation. It is also wrong because those who seek to prohibit it may be doing so for ulterior purposes, but even if they are genuinely altruistic, it is still wrong. It is actually in principle, a greater injustice to ban, than not to ban.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:(Flounces off in white chiffon Lab Coat, (radiation particle-proof of course))
Can you suck my balls first? Just gargle them like furry Maltesers. It would mean a lot to me.
A Job Too Far.
(Someone should make a movie of that)

franc

Post by franc »

Michael K Gray wrote:
franc wrote:
A Job Too Far.
(Someone should make a movie of that)
South Park, as always, are first -

[youtube]lnNYXgV7L-c[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Michael K Gray wrote: The FfTB spew-crew are now in critical melt-down mode.
They will now destroy themselves from within, of that I am confident.
My job is done.
Or perhaps change from within - hopefully for the better. There's currently an interesting discussion on Myers' Endless Thread thing; it seems one particular Pharyngulite (the one that has the AUM sign in its nym; currently going by the name of Ixchel) has been singled out for going beyond the Spartist gobshite pale even by PeeZee himself. With the strange honesty that comes from being so self-oblivious, it's actually Turd of Redhead who sums up much more than he probably intended:
Who’s the real victim? Those who harass people for PC correctness, or those who are on the receiving end of said harassment? SG needs to learn the difference between having his say (a few posts, say up to five total would do), and forcing someone to agree with him by shear harassment, which is a form of bullying. That is the difference between assertive and aggressive.

I’ve avoided threads where he has been active due to his aggressiveness.
To me, Ixhel/Life is Like a Pitbull/SG is only a slightly more extreme variation on your (very) average, dug-in Pharyngulite baboon. I think he holds up a mirror as to what they actually are...and they're distinctly uncomfortable with what they see.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

hmm, false analogy or false equivalence.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Btw, I've been dropping comments here and there across FtBlogs, and have not been banned. I have had one comment denied, but I fully expected it to be, for content. /shrug

I think it's more to do with the your visibility. You have a greater reach and can affect their party line.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

justinvacula wrote:Only if some other FTB commenters (and bloggers!) adhered to civil behavior. Interesting, too, is that Dan used 'shitbag' as an example - PZ, Zvan, and Canuck have loved using that one on me :)
I think we are seen the work in action of the Baboon Epithet Department.

rayshul ray

Post by rayshul ray »

Tigzy wrote:
Who’s the real victim? Those who harass people for PC correctness, or those who are on the receiving end of said harassment?
I'm particularly liking the fact they've used the word "harrass" to describe it. Twice. The way that sentence is constructed, it feels almost like a slip up that they've used it that way the first time...

I don't know about the bannination rules, Skeeve. I'm "blacklisted" after all. (Secular shunning?) I think Justin is pissing them off in particular not just because he's got clout within the skeptic "scene", but because he's trying to interact with them in a sensible way, and he's reacting to things like FUCK OFF in an amazingly measured fashion. Carefully analysing what's going on, discussing problems with different approaches, offering support for people who experience harrassment... it's enough to drive any fundie up the wall.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

An open letter to PZ.

First off I recognise the Internet is not the United States, moreover free speech claims would be specious on here since every site is privately owned. Only public spaces in the United State do you have a right to free speech and that is even more limited than people think. You do not have the right to yell "fire!" in a theatre for example.

So given all that, any complaints of censorship are spurious since you are free to post elsewhere or even set up your own blog. However, on here we have granted by this forum's owner (And were by Abbie) pretty much free reign in speech. Some of them have disagreed with me, I have disagreed with others on here. What is different about this space is we respect each others differences of opinion, unlike FtB. your policy of ignoring tone in comments has led to a form of Internet bullying Call out culture feministe.us A feminist site I might add, you cannot claim all of us on the slymepit are misogynist, that would be silly as I am female.

Where do we go from here? Unlike others on here I believe there is hope for FreeThought blogs, if FtB desires to. I have seen Jean Kazez do light moderation, even against Bluharmony. (Did I mention I respect her a lot?) What is needed is a blanket policy that extends to all bloggers on FtB, if NatGeo has a policy then FtB can have one. Respect for differing viewpoints must be given, feminists argue against each other on feminist blogs why would you expect any different on your site? You would never mislabel an atheist you dislike as a fundamentalist Christian in order to insult them, why is it ok to mislabel other feminists as MRAs? PZ you need to recognize that as adults we can disagree on a number of things, that does not make us demons that makes us adults. All of us here are all atheists (as far as I know), why throw out people who do not totally 100% agree with you, when these same people would so much like to fight our one common enemy?

Finally about social causes. I have had more bigotry against me than I will talk about openly. Imagine I am afraid of your horde of followers subjecting me to even more, because that is what I fear from you and your followers. Instead of helping me you are scaring me. Is that what you really wanted to do?

I'd really like you to think long and carefully about what you are doing PZ.

- Signed Diane in Ottawa Canada (Last name withheld)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Yeah, I think some of the venom shown towards Justin is the fact that he is one of those middle-ranking atheist/skeptics who the Baboons feel they should be able to control like a puppet on a string.

What also irks them is the fact that Justin is prepared to stand up to them while retaining his dignity and civility. PZ, Opheliar, Watson, et al - TAKE NOTE.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2012/05/31/ ... n-in-hell/
I'm appalled that the church refuses to give me religious guidance on avoiding sins for which I'll be mauled to death by bears.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Bridget Gaudette has been removed from her position as Florida State Director with American Atheists following her leadership appointment with Secular Woman. David Silverman says that state directors can't be leaders of other groups, so Gaudette was released. I find this troubling, though, as it took so long for this to happen. AA has recently been talking about "protecting women" and drafted their anti-harassment policy in, I would think, an attempt to get women more involved...and then they release a woman in their organization who is directly working with an organization to get more women involved :o

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/07/bri ... an_28.html

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

AndrewV69 wrote: Oh all right, what about this one then? Remember when Conservatives were being touted as stupid?
http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservati ... 03506.html
There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.
I expect to see more "tit for tat" in the future.
The 'tit for tat' is actually an entire literature. Another great example is here (Political conservatism as motivated social cognition). I just have to wonder, what is the point of all these correlations they find? Generally of weak statistical power, they seem to set people up for confirmation bias more than anything else. They may be of interest to psychologists, but they don't serve to determine the truth or falsity of conservative beliefs, which has entirely to do with the logical structure of such beliefs. However, this literature is used on blogs - like the one you linked to - as sort of a sophisticated ad hominem. You're wrong because you have a shitty personality, and here's the data to prove it. I can see how, after arguing with someone for hours who is immune to rational arguments, you might then reach for Social Psychology to explain your predicament. However, since we deal with individuals and not Conservatives as a group, we can't assume what's true for the mean has any bearing on the individual (the oft overlooked Ecological Fallacy). So, in general, I'm skeptical of both the firmness of the conclusions of such studies, and their relevance.
If we had a functioning skeptical community at the current time, things like this would be our main occupation. Both Orac and ERV do this well; they are adept at separating out the good and useful science from the bad. PZ was decent at this too, especially within his area of expertise. It shames me that the community is currently focusing so much on personalities and ZOMG INTERNETS DRAMA XD. I can only hope that people will learn that elevator etiquette, t-shirt etiquette, and such are not serious business, and at least mix in some skepticism in with their grudge colllecting.

Interestingly, the Ecological Fallacy reappears in the confusion over Privilege. Privilege is a perfectly well-behaved concept so long as you're comparing the average values of groups, say the relative rates at which whites and blacks are unjustly harassed by the police. We can use these comparisons to infer that, if nothing else is known about someone than that they are a member of group X, they might be treated differently than if they were of group Y. But this will take the form of a probabilistic statement, and could be refuted by further information about the person. That is about the extent of it; you are looking at populations, not individuals. So, if you say to someone that they are Privileged, you are misusing terminology that correctly describes groups to describe an individual.

If you say someone is Privileged and use this to discount what they argue, you have deftly combined the Ecological fallacy with the ad hominem circumstantial and truly deserve a round of applause.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk, that was a fantastic letter. I only hope that PZ has a conscience that it can reach.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

What kind of fucked up world would we be in, if any time a comedian, or anyone for that matter, wanted to make a rape joke they would have to consult the rape joke flow chart first? Dumbest thing ever. Somehow even more dumb than the Elevator Challenges shit she wrote up that I thought was unsurpassable in terms of stupidity.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:Bridget Gaudette has been removed from her position as Florida State Director with American Atheists following her leadership appointment with Secular Woman. David Silverman says that state directors can't be leaders of other groups, so Gaudette was released. I find this troubling, though, as it took so long for this to happen. AA has recently been talking about "protecting women" and drafted their anti-harassment policy in, I would think, an attempt to get women more involved...and then they release a woman in their organization who is directly working with an organization to get more women involved :o

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/07/bri ... an_28.html
Yes, you stinking misogynist you.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:Dilurk, that was a fantastic letter. I only hope that PZ has a conscience that it can reach.
Thank you.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

I agree, Dilurk, an eloquent and timely letter. I just hope, if PZ takes notice at all, that it doesn't end up in his "I Get Email" category.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dilurk wrote:An open letter to PZ.
I suspect PZ is a little busy right now. He may not get around to reading your excellent letter.

He has issued a reprimand to one of the horde who apparently in SJW (Social Justice Warrior) mode has cause a few to flounce recently including one who was apparently well loved:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414111
Ms. Daisy Cutter, Vile Human Being
27 July 2012 at 4:42 pm
Aquaria gave back her OM?! Oh, shit. And I didn’t realize she’d been driven off. Fuck.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414528
PZ Myers
28 July 2012 at 7:04 am

This is getting annoying. It seems that every time there’s a group of regulars getting exasperated and giving up on this place, there’s ixchel sitting placidly in the middle of it. I don’t know and I don’t care about the details of what’s going on: I’m just doing the math, and seeing that ixchel is being an anti-catalyst, quenching the range of interactions I like to see going on.

Don’t argue, don’t try to rationalize. Ixchel, just try to do some serious introspection here and change whatever the hell you’re doing. Because I’m just going to look at the numbers and if you’re driving away more good people than you can possibly compensate for, I’ll make some harsh decisions based on cost/benefit ratios here.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414534
PZ Myers
28 July 2012 at 7:11 am

It’s not strange at all. This is my party; all I care about is that lots of intelligent people are having a good time. When I see some guy wandering about and then other people get their coat and leave, I want it to stop.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414542
PZ Myers
28 July 2012 at 7:26 am

I repeat, I don’t care about the details, just the effect. There aren’t any people here who are easily cowed or intimidated, so this is no defense. Everyone who comments here is more aggressive than average, and is willing to push for what they think is right. I don’t even disagree with him about this “Christard” business.

But somehow he manages to be more than just assertive, and cross the line into nuisance. If he were driving away creationists and other idiots, he’d be a benefit, but when that behavior, whatever it is, is pissing off well regarded regulars, there’s something off, and like I say, he needs to think seriously about what he’s doing and fix it. I don’t need a poison pill hanging about.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414578
PZ Myers
28 July 2012 at 8:41 am

Quite extreme accusations are hurled towards him with nice regularity

You cannot imagine how unimpressed I am by that. I’ve been accused of raping my daughter, of having sex with just about anyone in the atheist movement you might name, and it’s even been suggested that I’m plotting to kill people who criticize me. So no, my sympathy on that score is pretty much nonexistent.

There’s really no point to arguing with me. I have given a warning. Telling me I shouldn’t be warning Inspector Javert is counter-productive. The alternative is that I sit back and let him go his merry way, and the next time I find him standing in the wreckage of a conversation, full of righteousness and an absolute conviction that he’s right, I’ll just decide I’ve had enough of this bullshit and I’ll boot his ass.

What I’m hoping is that he’ll dial down the crusades a bit and I don’t ever have to do that. But sure, go ahead, if his friends all want to encourage him to march down the path of self-destruction, I have no problem. I have some cruel and pitiless methods of dealing with disruptions myself.
28 July 2012 at 8:04 am

he’s not making exceptions for friends

No problem.

he doesn’t give up, and… he has a history of occasionally taking a cause and running with it for 30 hours nonstop, headfirst through every available wall… which looks very disturbing, scary even

Big problem.

There are a lot of problems he points out that lots of people will join him in criticizing, like that “christard” issue…and that’s good. However, I did not appoint him to be Inspector Javert of Pharyngula, and he doesn’t need to be the relentless persecutor. That way lies sanctimony.
Some are taking a "break"? "time out"?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414548
Tony •King of the Hellmouth•
28 July 2012 at 7:36 am

I think I’m going to take a break from here folks. This in fighting/disagreement/bickering turned me off the last time and I was *really* new back then. I don’t want to have to wade through page after page again just to find something interesting to read/respond to.
Take care all.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414550
Jadehawk, mec fâché en jupe
28 July 2012 at 7:37 am

*sigh*

whatever. this is ridiculous. I’m gonna go be productive somewhere else
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-413203
Ing: Praise The Lord And Pass the Ammunition
26 July 2012 at 10:47 pm

Sorry not to flounce, but had to address this

It’s not threatening to leave, it’s observing that “why the fuck would anyone want to stay? Especially when it’s clear huge portions of the skeptic/atheist space don’t want people like us around and we’re ‘just making things worse’ and all that” Some much shit being given for the slyme pit and other idiot’s feelings and about next to zero given to either those who oppose them or those who felt hurt by them. It is fucking alienating and it is annoying. For all the FTBullying it’s clear there’s some concentrated effort to push out ‘annoying’ people. Why on earth would people want to stick around having the same fights day after day and then have someone come and say that those obnoxious jerks are OUR fault?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414604
consciousness razor
28 July 2012 at 9:19 am

Before I go, I just want to express how much I love to hate the Orwellian connotations “righteousness” (and maybe even “relentlessness”) has taken on, as if thinking you’re right (or doing the right thing) ought to be avoided or done in moderation, for no apparent reason. I guess at least it’s a nice little shorthand for “you might be wrong, but even if you aren’t: waaaaaahhhh!”
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414631
Audley Z. Darkheart (carrying the Official SpokesFetus)
28 July 2012 at 10:13 am

Tony:

I think I’m going to take a break from here folks.

Yep, me too.

I have absolutely zero interest in dealing with this shit in TET* and I’m not about to let my weekend get ruined by this pointless fucking argument that we will rehash over and over again until ixchel finds another online community to grace with his presence.

I’ll see you all when I see you all.

*There’s a reason why I tend to stay out of TZT– I think having two seperate ballpits is a smashing idea, if only so I can ignore one of them.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414636
Ogvorbis
28 July 2012 at 10:20 am

I think I’m going to take a break from here folks.

Yep, me too.

Thirded.

How many times do we need to have the same argument in which the assumption of bad faith is at the center but no one will admit it?
Some are undecided?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414032
Ms. Daisy Cutter, Vile Human Being
27 July 2012 at 3:36 pm

Eriktrips,

Some people can only put in so much effort before they burn out, and it doesn’t matter how much privilege they have, because everybody’s emotional constitution and offline situation is different. Brownian and Ing have been doing this shit for years, and doing it much better than most. If they never come back, I will miss them, but I sure as hell won’t resent them.

Quite honestly, I keep debating whether I want to stick around here. On the one hand, we have a shit-ton of MRAs, PUAs, racists, and other social detritus. On the other, we have our own in-house concern and tone trolls. Plus, all the SJW bullshit that’s reached a crescendo in other online spaces in the last year or two has increased on FTB. People wringing their hands over “childism,” for example, or claiming that a silly meme based on a girl speaking with a retainer in her mouth is “ableist.” That term is already grossly overused — words like “weak” and “stupid” and criticism of body odor have all been described thusly.

Am I the only one here who feels really uncomfortable between those two opposing tensions? Virulent misogyny and willingness to stalk women and their allies on the one hand, and the walking-on-eggshells approach to language on the other? I wouldn’t say this place is turning into Shakesville quite yet, but I’m getting some of those vibes, to be honest.

Also, I adore and respect the vast majority of you, but, I’m sorry, I don’t want to live on an island or commune with you. I don’t want to live in a small town where everybody knows me, either. I like having a bit of anonymity offline, even if it’s illusory.

/as you can see I have a lot of feelings about this
Some have had their "fee fees" hurt:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-362582
SC (Salty Current), OM
13 June 2012 at 6:17 am

Ms Daisy Cutter said:

Seriously, go fuck yourselves, both of you. This shit is triggering for me. I would spend entire days trying not to cry before I got onto SSRIs….

Your bullshit to me is indistinguishable from all the assholes I had to deal with back in the late ’80s and early ’90s who told me that I “didn’t need” medication and I just needed to “work through” my issues, including one behavioral therapist. Not to mention the libertarians who glommed onto the anti-psych movement because, you know, people who need help are weak.

That is a false presentation of my views, as she should well have known (and if she didn’t she could have asked). It’s a terrible accusation. A claim that you’ve been triggered based on a complete misrepresentation of someone’s actual statements and views is wrong, and you were wrong to validate it, Giliell. These constant misrepresentations of both me and sg were pointed out again and again, and you and the others have simply refused to acknowledge or retract them and continued to blame and berate us for opposing this pattern. You’re a gang of bullies who pat yourselves on the back for your compassion.
And the above is only part of it apparently, was a little difficult trying to keep track of all the drama and some of the quotes above are out of sequence, but I think you get the general idea.

sacha

Post by sacha »

hahaha! Boris is his supplier

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Andrew

PZ Barnum let it out in those early posts - he cares about the views and the hits. All he really wants is the Benjamins, and anybody who jeopardizes that is going to get booted.

What a big fucking cunt he is!

Post by Guest »

AndrewV69 wrote:
I suspect PZ is a little busy right now. He may not get around to reading your excellent letter.

He has issued a reprimand to one of the horde who apparently in SJW (Social Justice Warrior) mode has cause a few to flounce recently including one who was apparently well loved:
PZ would have done well to mind Hosea 8:7 : "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk; the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up."

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Guest wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

PZ would have done well to mind Hosea 8:7 : "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk; the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up."
Yup - Myers and his more vociferous baboons created a culture in which creatures like this AUM/Ixchel thing can thrive. They know they're not so innocent, nor so far removed from Ixchel himself; perhaps that's what hurts them most of all.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

McCreight finally weighs in:
I understand that you always have to deal with some level of shit when you’re trying to change minds. But I’m human. This blog is a hobby for me. I logged into WordPress and opened up Google Reader everyday to express myself, connect with people, and have fun – not to feel hopeless, worthless, angry, and scared for my personal safety. But with the current atmosphere of the atheist/skeptic movement, the latter is how I’ve been feeling.
Oh no! Laden must have threatened Jen too! THAT explains why Jen had time to take repeated swipes at Paula Kirby, but didnt feel it was necessary to rebuke Laden. She was scared herself! Right?

lol.

Spence

Post by Spence »

AndrewV69 wrote: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-414528
PZ Myers
28 July 2012 at 7:04 am

This is getting annoying. It seems that every time there’s a group of regulars getting exasperated and giving up on this place, there’s ixchel sitting placidly in the middle of it. I don’t know and I don’t care about the details of what’s going on: I’m just doing the math, and seeing that ixchel is being an anti-catalyst, quenching the range of interactions I like to see going on.

Don’t argue, don’t try to rationalize. Ixchel, just try to do some serious introspection here and change whatever the hell you’re doing. Because I’m just going to look at the numbers and if you’re driving away more good people than you can possibly compensate for, I’ll make some harsh decisions based on cost/benefit ratios here.
(My bold). Doesn't it sound a lot like PZ is referring to his bank account here? "Compensate for" sounds a bit like he'd be okay with it if SGBM was generating enough hits to cover the cost of the flouncers...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

AndrewV69 wrote:
PZ Myers Everyone else
28 July 2012 at 7:04 am The past > year

This is getting annoying. It seems that every time there’s a group of regulars getting exasperated and giving up on this place, there’s Skepchicks and Freethought Blogs sitting placidly in the middle of it. I don’t know and I don’t care about the details of what’s going on: I’m just doing the math, and seeing that Watson and Myers are being an anti-catalyst, quenching the range of interactions I like to see going on.

Don’t argue, don’t try to rationalize. PZ, just try to do some serious introspection here and change whatever the hell you’re doing. Because I’m just going to look at the numbers and if you’re driving away more good people than you can possibly compensate for.
PZ Myers: Take your own fucking advice.

sacha

blondie here

Post by sacha »

I'm not following. Who is Ixchel? Who is SG? What is TZTs? Who is TM? What is TET*?

please help the blond.

Post by Guest »

ERV wrote:McCreight finally weighs in:
I understand that you always have to deal with some level of shit when you’re trying to change minds. But I’m human. This blog is a hobby for me. I logged into WordPress and opened up Google Reader everyday to express myself, connect with people, and have fun – not to feel hopeless, worthless, angry, and scared for my personal safety. But with the current atmosphere of the atheist/skeptic movement, the latter is how I’ve been feeling.
Oh no! Laden must have threatened Jen too! THAT explains why Jen had time to take repeated swipes at Paula Kirby, but didnt feel it was necessary to rebuke Laden. She was scared herself! Right?

lol.
You'd be afraid too if someone posted a picture of a T-Shirt on your blog. It's the equivalent of a burning cross it is, it is!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

RebeccaB wrote:I agree, Dilurk, an eloquent and timely letter. I just hope, if PZ takes notice at all, that it doesn't end up in his "I Get Email" category.
Thank you as well.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Following the mindless drivel trend...we can both have criticism and drivel, can't we?

[youtube]hM0fiegRbTg[/youtube]

I found the goddamn music from the opening.

AndrewV69

Re: blondie here

Post by AndrewV69 »

sacha wrote:I'm not following. Who is Ixchel? Who is SG? What is TZTs? Who is TM? What is TET*?

please help the blond.
To the best of my knowledge:

Ixchel
- SJW (Social Justice Warrior) who as best as I can determine has been taking members of the horde to task for being "abelist".
- harassed someone else into flouncing over using "tard" in one case Christard.

SG - dunno exactly who.
TM - dunno exactly who either.
TZT - The Zombie Thread I think.
TET - The Endless thread, like this one.

The only thing I am fairly certain of, is that there appears to be a spot of trouble in paradise.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:
Guest wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Yup - Myers and his more vociferous baboons created a culture in which creatures like this AUM/Ixchel thing can thrive. They know they're not so innocent, nor so far removed from Ixchel himself; perhaps that's what hurts them most of all.
Sounds worse than PinkBunnyGate. I love the smell of zombie cannibalism in the morning.

Horace aka net nanny

Pharyngula

Post by Horace aka net nanny »

Actually we should go back and post on Pharyngula. I suspect that, although neither side likes to admit it, our relationship
is symbiotic. We make slightly sexist remarks, they all go ape shit in a two day hatefest.

With out slyme like us to regularly post there (AKA act as their chew toys) they start attacking each other. Without constant abuse
from them, we loose interest and as Michael the Australian cricket bat thief pointed out, our discussions degenerate into endless
exchanges of personal anecdotes and recipes.

Unfortunately I got myself banned their so I cannot post, could one of you go over and suggest that there is genetic evidence that
women are predisposed to believe in religion and be polite ergo women cannot really be atheists ? I mean women would much rather perform housework and oral sex than post obscene insults on the internet.

A bit obvious I admit, but we need to move quickly to preserve the status quo. Otherwise we will all have to get off the computer and have lives in meatspace.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

sacha wrote:I'm not following. Who is Ixchel? Who is SG? What is TZTs? Who is TM? What is TET*?

please help the blond.
Ixchel is a regular commentator on the baboon boards. He was previously nymed as 'Life is Like a Pitbull Without Lipstick' - and I'm guessing SG might have been a previous nym. He's recognisable by his use of the aum symbol in his nyms.

For a while, he's been notorious for vociferously policing the baboon boards for the slightest sign of deviancy from their newspeak, and it appears he holds grudges as well - to the extent that he'll continually attack a commentator for some slip of language long after the subject at hand has moved on. From the looks of things, Aquaria flounced because of this, which I find very funny indeed.

To me, he's just a more honest reflection of what the FCs and baboons really are - basically, fucking annoying clueless Dave Spart types. In Ixchel's defense, he hasn't - to the best of my knowledge - taken it into meatspace, and attempted to get anyone sacked, or anything. I honestly believe the baboons see the unpleasant truth of themselves in him, and don't like it at all.

TET (The Eternal Thread) and TZT (The Zombie Thread) are the more social lounge-type places on Pharyngula; in the case of the latter, it can be where trolls are confined to if they're funny or clueless enough to be entertaining, I believe.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Addendum: no idea what TM is, though.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:

please help the blond.
To the best of my knowledge:

Ixchel
- SJW (Social Justice Warrior) who as best as I can determine has been taking members of the horde to task for being "abelist".
- harassed someone else into flouncing over using "tard" in one case Christard.

SG - dunno exactly who.
TM - dunno exactly who either.
TZT - The Zombie Thread I think.
TET - The Endless thread, like this one.

The only thing I am fairly certain of, is that there appears to be a spot of trouble in paradise.
Just in time for Shark Week, there's blood in the water.

Referencing your last line:
[youtube]kk9TFRmWCH0[/youtube]

Badger3k

Re: Pharyngula

Post by Badger3k »

Horace aka net nanny wrote:Actually we should go back and post on Pharyngula. I suspect that, although neither side likes to admit it, our relationship
is symbiotic. We make slightly sexist remarks, they all go ape shit in a two day hatefest.

With out slyme like us to regularly post there (AKA act as their chew toys) they start attacking each other. Without constant abuse
from them, we loose interest and as Michael the Australian cricket bat thief pointed out, our discussions degenerate into endless
exchanges of personal anecdotes and recipes.

Unfortunately I got myself banned their so I cannot post, could one of you go over and suggest that there is genetic evidence that
women are predisposed to believe in religion and be polite ergo women cannot really be atheists ? I mean women would much rather perform housework and oral sex than post obscene insults on the internet.

A bit obvious I admit, but we need to move quickly to preserve the status quo. Otherwise we will all have to get off the computer and have lives in meatspace.
Sounds like what happened at Uncommenly Dense - er, Uncommen Descent IIRC - after a bunch of banning, most of the posters on the side of evolution stopped posting, and buy, did their activity dry up.

I doubt that the baboons will ever truly die out. Even if their activity dries up and their influence is limited to tin-foil hat wearers, they will still be trolling for hits, like an addict on Cops.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:
ERV wrote:McCreight finally weighs in:

lol.
You'd be afraid too if someone posted a picture of a T-Shirt on your blog. It's the equivalent of a burning cross it is, it is!
I pity the fool!
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/7 ... taKqg2.jpg