Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by John Greg »

Dick Strawkins at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 3300#p4459

:lol: . Excellent, very funny. I hope they both get to see it.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I've had to block pzmyers on twitter for trolling me

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: His kids hate him?
I know I'd hate my parents if they named me something that sounded like 'Scat-Yeah!'
So I was curious and did a little looking around. His daughter is named "Skatje" which is apparently pronounced "scot-ya" and is apparently a Dutch term of endearment, my guess is the English equivalent to naming a girl "snuggle-buns" or something.

The interesting thing though is that Skatje has apparently gone and got her name firmly associated with bestiality and incest as far as Google is concerned!

Quite frankly, I think that this was pretty rash on someone's part to even bring up the subject in the first place.

That put me in mind of heritable traits, and in this case behavioural traits which are also heritable. Just to be clear, let me add that heritability is a population-wide statistic, but it can be informative on an individual level.

For example, a high IQ will not save you from doing something stupid, if you have inherited behavioural traits that leave you prone to *cough* impulsiveness then it leaves you open to doing some "really real brain dead teh stupids" things.

Biology is not destiny, but it is probability.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Rape culture? :O

[youtube]mh_ZXl4a8To[/youtube]

Bob of QF

Post by Bob of QF »

Tigzy wrote:Audley Strange from Ratz gives PZ the keylashing from hell, and nails it:
Re: So, PZ is a stone-cold racist.

Postby Audley Strange » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:07 pm
pzmyers wrote:A nest of cockroaches isn't filthy and unhygienic. Turning on the light and exposing a nest of cockroaches...now that's evil and disgusting.

There, see. I said the same thing you did, only with more brevity and panache.

No you didn't. I think you are functionally illiterate. How the fuck did you get a degree. Do you have aphasia? You seemed to miss the entirety of my points.

Your group is poisonous and engaged in a hate campaign. I've read the comments, your followers are actually unhinged enough to reveal personal information about people with the intent to do harm. Pappa asked an impertinent tasteless question.

Critising misogyny is not misogyny. You whipping up a bunch of apparently vulnerable young women, who you know, you actually know will be hurt by it for your own benefit, THAT is misogyny, you clod. Pretending you are white-knighting makes it all the more patronising and worse.

To use your shit example, you picked up the cockroaches put them in a bucket and then threw them at people who are terrified of cockroaches for your own gratification. To use another example you're like one of those fundie lunatics who opposes abortion by puts up pictures of aborted fetuses to horrify the anti-abortion crowd to whip them into a frenzy.

It is utterly exploititive. Your "protect these women from rape" attitude would be noble if you didn't keep expose self confessed sexual assault victims to things they find hurtful for your pleasure.

That is entirely what you did.

I'm actually a pretty reasonable guy, I'm just good at mirroring the stupid over-reactionary invective of your posters and aiming it directly back at you.

I don't mind being called a cockroach by a cock.
The bolding is mine - others can see it straight off the bat; PZ either can't, or refuses to.
Brilliant!

Although it's a wee bit abusive towards cockroaches....

... what with comparing them to PZ an' all that...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@AndrewV69

Ah, 'Scot-Yah!' - I read it as 'Scat-Yeah'. 'Pologies for the crap joke and my bias in associating anything PZ does with shit.

I wonder, in general, if native English speakers who first read her name pronounce it as 'Scat - gee'?

Did a google on the name - as regards the 'animal love', all I got was something about it on Conservapidia, which is even weaker on reason than FfTB - but Google did, um, pop up some pictures of her, and...I dunno, maybe it's just me...but she she looks a hell of a lot like a, um, certain female skepchick, doesn't she?

http://www.secularstudents.org/sites/de ... skatje.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

justinvacula wrote:Rape culture? :O

Low blow Justin, low blow.

Let me raise you one:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And there is no way, form or kind in which I will involve PZ's family in this matter. Leave the kids alone!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Patrick wrote: That said, I'll probably find myself drawn to the politics thread like a radfem to a dirty joke.
Like Sally Strange to a rape joke?

I have a suspicion that Sally has fantasies about that sort of thing, and feels ashamed and/or embarrassed about it. Would not be the first time I have encountered women with that sort of liking. In my experience though, it just manifests itself in that they like being told what to do, forcibly held down and that sort of thing, but nothing I would call kinky at all.

Let me emphasize that I am not talking about the "really for reals rape", but fantasy about being submissive, and this appears to be common for a lot of people, not just women.

In other words, acting out submission with someone dominant.

I guess for a feminist this could stir up all kinds of emotional turmoil, instead of recognizing it for what it is, just a harmless fantasy that satisfies a behavioural trait.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And there is no way, form or kind in which I will involve PZ's family in this matter. Leave the kids alone!
Quite right Phil. Kids have no control over who their parents are. Thanks for the "heads up".

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Let me raise you one:

Hey, I really like "At the Gates!" I'm just making fun of the idea of the use of the word rape in being such a bad thing always.

Git

Post by Git »

[youtube]e8RREKMIc7A[/youtube] - this is more my type of metal.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Just been sent this:
Sucking the teat of controversy
PZ looks strangely content for a change.
BWAAAHAAA!

the poor woman who owns that body is in a dark corner sobbing right now...

MKG: "Oh, you are not going to force me to employ 'smiley fucking faces' by which to evince my bona fides?"
There are quite a few of us here who refuse to use emoticons.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Tigzy wrote:@AndrewV69 but Google did, um, pop up some pictures of her, and...I dunno, maybe it's just me...but she she looks a hell of a lot like a, um, certain female skepchick, doesn't she?
It's uncanny if you look at...
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And there is no way, form or kind in which I will involve PZ's family in this matter. Leave the kids alone!
Dammit Phil, I just spent 10 minutes in Google images and GIMP, and we're supposed to be scum here in The Pit!

But you're right. I'll just have to drown more kittens this week to make up for it.

Dick Strawkins

Re:

Post by Dick Strawkins »

sacha wrote:
BWAAAHAAA!

the poor woman who owns that body is in a dark corner sobbing right now...
I think it's originally from the skepsheiks site.
Here's their latest one - peezuz camp

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

I posted a somewhat lengthy comment on http://fosterdisbelief.wordpress.com/20 ... omment-683 concerning threats of violence + literal threats of rape and murder.

From that comment,
If you happen to receive :”literal threats of rape and murder” or “threats of violence,” you should REPORT THEM TO THE POLICE. NOW. What are you waiting for? If you have evidence of these things, release it, report to police, and get the entire skeptic/atheist community on your side. People like ‘Surly Amy’ and Rebecca Watson have a huge platform in which they can share these “literal threats of rape and murder” and ” violent threats” with the atheist/skeptic community and even perhaps use the influence of their supporters to make sure that action is taken. If you aren’t a writer for Skepchick and happen to receive threats, you can e-mail them and I’m sure they’ll take action. Hell, I’ll even post threats on my blog if they won’t.

Sending threats, as should go without saying, is absolutely wrong. Threats should not be tolerated and people who receive threats ought to do something about it…and not just sit by and ask leaders in the atheist/skeptic community to write letters of disapproval. The harassment, too, is uncalled for. It shouldn’t happen. Move on, though, and realize that internet trolls are internet trolls. As JT said, “Welcome to the same boat as 99% of humanity. Christ.” Want to continue to talk about it? Whatever…but I, at least, don’t see the point.
Feel free to weigh in.

real horrorshow

justinvacula wrote: Feel free to weigh in.
No chance Justin. Reading the post you've commented on, what you've got there is what Uncle Franc calls a "toilet slave". You'll get a self-righteous panning and nothing else.

sacha

Post by sacha »

What I think franc was referring to in regards to PeeZus' children, is that Skatje Myers wrote an article right after Elevatorgate completely disagreeing with PZ (I'm attempting to locate it), and last year someone mentioned PZ had a son as well as a daughter. There was a lot of speculation as to why PZ never mentions his son, as many were shocked he even had one. Quite a few bloggers and commenters went back and searched for any mention of a son on PZ's blog, and found none, but plenty of mentions about Skatje.

Sympathy for a male child of PZ's was the topic of conversation for a while...

Simply a clarification, I agree his children have no place in our discussions.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

He has 2 sons, and one of them is enlisted in some branch of the military or another. I can't remember whether he joined the army or navy or air force, but PZ did an article about it when he was first going away. Then someone somewhere said he has another son too, but I can't even remember where I heard that, so maybe there's only one son.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

justinvacula wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Let me raise you one:

Hey, I really like "At the Gates!" I'm just making fun of the idea of the use of the word rape in being such a bad thing always.
The song is "Blinded by Fear". Topical? ;)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I am really not confortable with involving anyone other than PZ and cie. Can we just drop the sons/daughter stuff?

Or am I tone trolling?

Mister_Kolle

Post by Mister_Kolle »

Sacha,

The article you are looking for was posted on Skatje Myers's personal blog Lacrimae Rerum, which is no longer around. However, Google and The Wayback Machine never forget. The blog post you are looking for is called Feminism. Look for it towards the end.

sacha

Doppelgänger

Post by sacha »

The similarities between Skatje and Beccy in looks (Skatje is bright, and appears to be a good person) has been mentioned previously on the original Slime Pit.

They looked a lot alike a year or so ago, but no longer, now that Beccy has become a caricature.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Thank you, Mister Kolle, I would have been looking for hours.
Mister_Kolle wrote:Sacha,

The article you are looking for was posted on Skatje Myers's personal blog Lacrimae Rerum, which is no longer around. However, Google and The Wayback Machine never forget. The blog post you are looking for is called Feminism. Look for it towards the end.

sacha

Post by sacha »

I'm listening, Phil. no more.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I am really not confortable with involving anyone other than PZ and cie. Can we just drop the sons/daughter stuff?

Or am I tone trolling?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I am really not confortable with involving anyone other than PZ and cie. Can we just drop the sons/daughter stuff?

Or am I tone trolling?

I do not have a problem with this type of "tone" trolling Phil. I also think it reflects well on you that you saw it right off the bat.

I know it never occurred to me where this may lead to till you brought it up, although it probably would have at some point.

The irony here is I have kids also (well they are all adults now), and one of the reasons I am pseudonymous is that I hold views that they would consider embarrassing.

So, I will thank you again for the "heads up", and I think you are right.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

sacha wrote:I'm listening, Phil. no more.

Or am I tone trolling?
I'm not pointing fingers, Sacha. Just pointing out I don't like this trend. no worries, people are free to talk about what they want...

Mister_Kolle

Post by Mister_Kolle »

Or am I tone trolling?
Well, if it makes you feel better, his daughter is 22 and his son is a soldier. But yeah, I agree with you (even though I was the guy that hunted up his daughter's old, since deleted blog post -- oops?).

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: I'm not pointing fingers, Sacha. Just pointing out I don't like this trend. no worries, people are free to talk about what they want...
Of course they are, but we do not have to go down the same road as the baboons now do we?

Horace AKA netnanny

PZ and Political debate

Post by Horace AKA netnanny »

Guys,

leave PZ's kids out of it.

Also saying that he will die unloved is also both irrelevant (lots of unpleasant people were loved by their family) and probably untrue.

Patrick,

Think you are totally wrong. Love to argue about politics with you. Can we take it to

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=138

so I don't have to hunt for your posts and we don't annoy others with our debate ?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: PZ and Political debate

Horace AKA netnanny wrote:Guys,

Also saying that he will die unloved is also both irrelevant (lots of unpleasant people were loved by their family) and probably untrue.

Patrick,

Think you are totally wrong. Love to argue about politics with you. Can we take it to

so I don't have to hunt for your posts and we don't annoy others with our debate ?
Hear! Hear! (whole post)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: His kids hate him?
I know I'd hate my parents if they named me something that sounded like 'Scat-Yeah!'
So I was curious and did a little looking around. His daughter is named "Skatje" which is apparently pronounced "scot-ya" and is apparently a Dutch term of endearment, my guess is the English equivalent to naming a girl "snuggle-buns" or something.

The interesting thing though is that Skatje has apparently gone and got her name firmly associated with bestiality and incest as far as Google is concerned!

Quite frankly, I think that this was pretty rash on someone's part to even bring up the subject in the first place.

That put me in mind of heritable traits, and in this case behavioural traits which are also heritable. Just to be clear, let me add that heritability is a population-wide statistic, but it can be informative on an individual level.

For example, a high IQ will not save you from doing something stupid, if you have inherited behavioural traits that leave you prone to *cough* impulsiveness then it leaves you open to doing some "really real brain dead teh stupids" things.

Biology is not destiny, but it is probability.
She's connected with it due to some misunderstanding and other BS. It's not right and I remember when it went on. She wasn't promoting either and doesn't deserve to be associated that way.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Patrick wrote: That said, I'll probably find myself drawn to the politics thread like a radfem to a dirty joke.
Like Sally Strange to a rape joke?

I have a suspicion that Sally has fantasies about that sort of thing, and feels ashamed and/or embarrassed about it. Would not be the first time I have encountered women with that sort of liking. In my experience though, it just manifests itself in that they like being told what to do, forcibly held down and that sort of thing, but nothing I would call kinky at all.

Let me emphasize that I am not talking about the "really for reals rape", but fantasy about being submissive, and this appears to be common for a lot of people, not just women.

In other words, acting out submission with someone dominant.

I guess for a feminist this could stir up all kinds of emotional turmoil, instead of recognizing it for what it is, just a harmless fantasy that satisfies a behavioural trait.
This reminds me of that link I posted earlier to the Ardent Atheist podcast. Doug Stanhope tells a tale about a girl he used to have unrequited love for. The only time he got a chance to poke her was when she confessed to her rape fantasy and asked him to fulfil it. Unfortunately he says he wasn't strong enough and she kept throwing him off, so they were both disappointed. PeeZus and the gang would love the story.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I posted this elsewhere here a minute ago, but I decided it was interesting enough, in a broad body-politic sort of sense, to repost it here:

Cristina Rad is actually proposing, on FfTB, that rape jokes can just possibly sometimes be funny, because "a lot of good comedy originates from horrible tragedies":

http://freethoughtblogs.com/cristinarad ... uick-poll/

She's wiser than her years, but cripes! she's putting her life in her hands with that sick bunch.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Horace AKA netnanny wrote:Guys,

Patrick,

We're already in agreement about leaving kids out of it. What fun is this going to be?

I'll open up a tab on that link, but I won't have a chance to write anything detailed until the weekend. If you're within commuting distance of New York City, we could start over a beer.

Speaking of which, do you Slime Pitters (Slimers? Pitters? Pits?) ever do local meet ups? A few pictures of the participants here dressed well and behaving in a civilized fashion while consuming alcohol would do wonders for the image of this forum.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'd be first in line to allow my leg to be bitten.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote: She's connected with it due to some misunderstanding and other BS. It's not right and I remember when it went on. She wasn't promoting either and doesn't deserve to be associated that way.
After skimming a couple of posts I got the impression that it was an argument about morality and the two items in question were used as examples, and then were taken up out of context and used as a smear.

Sounds familiar?

Anyway, we should let this drop (and I am guilty by responding, even indirectly), my focus was in a completely direction, the heritability of things like impulsiveness rather than anything else. I failed to see how it could also lead into other directions till Phil objected.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Patrick wrote:Ah, who am I kidding. I'd be first in line to allow my leg to be bitten.
I would be first in line also, sans pre-aprovved written consent form, only if there was no hugging involved, except in a hertonormative manner.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kHCec6L4WXM/U ... cebook.jpg

The article is here:

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.ca/2012/07/l ... eople.html
Liberals like to claim that they are open-minded and tolerant, but nobody besides liberals believes that. Indeed, liberals’ claim to be open-minded and tolerant is itself a form of close-mindedness, based on the assertion that other people are less tolerant than they.

Horace AKA netnanny

Post by Horace AKA netnanny »

Hi Patrick,

I am Canadian, but I get through New York once or twice every couple of years.

It turned out that Munkhaus and I were in Bogota at the same time but we did not know it. Both Colombiaphiles.

We should work on a get together

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

John Greg wrote:I posted this elsewhere here a minute ago, but I decided it was interesting enough, in a broad body-politic sort of sense, to repost it here:

Cristina Rad is actually proposing, on FfTB, that rape jokes can just possibly sometimes be funny, because "a lot of good comedy originates from horrible tragedies":

http://freethoughtblogs.com/cristinarad ... uick-poll/

She's wiser than her years, but cripes! she's putting her life in her hands with that sick bunch.
At least the crazies haven't shown up yet. Though, julian is there. I suspect he's waiting for backup before sticking both feet in.

sacha

biting

Post by sacha »

Step aside, boys. If there is biting going on, I am the first victim... bloody hell, now I'm turned on, and have no way to sort that right now.

AndrewV69 wrote:
Patrick wrote:Ah, who am I kidding. I'd be first in line to allow my leg to be bitten.
I would be first in line also, sans pre-aprovved written consent form, only if there was no hugging involved, except in a hertonormative manner.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

A wedding suddenly just happened outside of my building today. It lasted for about 5 minutes, and then it was over. It was like a flash mob, only it was a wedding.
[youtube]N15fnI3dGyw[/youtube]

Anyone have any idea of what culture they are? My building is mostly Tamil people from Sri Lanka and this group for sure wasn't them, but the other quarter of the building is from either Iran or Iraq (I forget which), and I assumed most of them were muslim, but maybe some are xtian refugees from countries where the muslims kill the xtians. Maybe this group is mideast xtians of some branch (maybe from Iran or Iraq)?

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kHCec6L4WXM/U ... cebook.jpg

The article is here:

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.ca/2012/07/l ... eople.html
Liberals like to claim that they are open-minded and tolerant, but nobody besides liberals believes that. Indeed, liberals’ claim to be open-minded and tolerant is itself a form of close-mindedness, based on the assertion that other people are less tolerant than they.
I don't have a clear political affiliation (it all depends on what the context of an issue is, for me to see what side I'll fall on), so I guess that makes me kind of moderate, but this seems pretty flawed since it makes the assumption that people are honest when self-reporting on this sort of thing. It could be that the other two groups (moderates and conservatives) are just not as willing to admit that they have done the things mentioned (for the sake of maintaining the pretense of fairness, maybe?), thus resulting in the wide gap. The poll doesn't appear to have any means to factor out this possibility, making me skeptical of any ideological conclusion that can be gathered from it.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Worth reposting
Feminism

I don’t call myself a feminist. When it comes to the simple definition of “believing women should possess equal rights,” I feel about as stupid calling myself a feminist as I would calling myself someone who believes blacks should have equal rights. Well, no shit. But I’m feeling a huge disconnect between my own beliefs and modern feminism. It seems like it’s morphing into a frenetic beast, striking blindly at every phantom it can find, leaving behind rational discourse and losing sight of the most important issues.

Think a woman bears some responsibility for her pregnancy in non-rape cases? Slut shamer. If you think it’s poor judgment to get trashed in an unsafe place around strangers? Victim blamer. Acknowledging certain negative stereotypes as often true? Misogynist.

Even excluding extremists like Dworkin, I feel that feminism has been blinded by zealotry into forsaking rationality. Logical arguments have been abandoned in favour of accusing the opposition of being misogynists.

Like I said, I don’t see a lot of use in this day and age in pointing out to people that I think men and women should be treated equally. I also don’t see vocal self-proclaimed feminists doing their cause very many favours.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Previous repost was written Feb 2011

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

Blah blah blah
In other news, the confidence intervals should be roughly as follows as follows, from a similar survey with similar population size:
http://www.people-press.org/files/2012/ ... edge-6.png

*flush*

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Tigzy wrote:Did a google on the name - as regards the 'animal love', all I got was something about it on Conservapidia, which is even weaker on reason than FfTB - but Google did, um, pop up some pictures of her, and...I dunno, maybe it's just me...but she she looks a hell of a lot like a, um, certain female skepchick, doesn't she?

http://www.secularstudents.org/sites/de ... skatje.jpg
Ive speculated before, I wonder if some of PZ's rage is being conflicted from feeling fatherly to a woman who reminds him of his daughter, from her looks to her childlike manner, while simultaneously wanting to tap her so hard.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I have to say that PeeZus is quite enough of an arsehole on his own. I see no reason to drag his family into this, it's pretty shitty tactics. By all means Fuck Him Into The Ground, but it's not his sprogs fault that he fathered them.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Skeeve, where is this from?
Skeeve wrote:Worth reposting
Feminism

I don’t call myself a feminist. When it comes to the simple definition of “believing women should possess equal rights,” I feel about as stupid calling myself a feminist as I would calling myself someone who believes blacks should have equal rights. Well, no shit. But I’m feeling a huge disconnect between my own beliefs and modern feminism. It seems like it’s morphing into a frenetic beast, striking blindly at every phantom it can find, leaving behind rational discourse and losing sight of the most important issues.

Think a woman bears some responsibility for her pregnancy in non-rape cases? Slut shamer. If you think it’s poor judgment to get trashed in an unsafe place around strangers? Victim blamer. Acknowledging certain negative stereotypes as often true? Misogynist.

Even excluding extremists like Dworkin, I feel that feminism has been blinded by zealotry into forsaking rationality. Logical arguments have been abandoned in favour of accusing the opposition of being misogynists.

Like I said, I don’t see a lot of use in this day and age in pointing out to people that I think men and women should be treated equally. I also don’t see vocal self-proclaimed feminists doing their cause very many favours.

StueNever

Re: biting

Post by StueNever »

sacha wrote:Step aside, boys. If there is biting going on, I am the first victim... bloody hell, now I'm turned on, and have no way to sort that right now.
I can lend a hand if you want. :D

The Worst Guy

Post by The Worst Guy »

bhoytony wrote:I have to say that PeeZus is quite enough of an arsehole on his own. I see no reason to drag his family into this, it's pretty shitty tactics. By all means Fuck Him Into The Ground, but it's not his sprogs fault that he fathered them.
I have to agree. It's all a bit creepy.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Scented Nectar wrote:A wedding suddenly just happened outside of my building today. It lasted for about 5 minutes, and then it was over. It was like a flash mob, only it was a wedding.
[youtube]N15fnI3dGyw[/youtube]

Anyone have any idea of what culture they are? My building is mostly Tamil people from Sri Lanka and this group for sure wasn't them, but the other quarter of the building is from either Iran or Iraq (I forget which), and I assumed most of them were muslim, but maybe some are xtian refugees from countries where the muslims kill the xtians. Maybe this group is mideast xtians of some branch (maybe from Iran or Iraq)?
SN that is fucking awesome. Thanks for posting. It sounds and looks Turkish to me, but I imagine that a westernized Iraqi wedding might be similar. The very westernized look does not necessarily mean that they are Christian. Fuck the Islamic fundamentalists with a rusty porcupine for spoiling this kind of fun.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

The Worst Guy wrote:
bhoytony wrote:I have to say that PeeZus is quite enough of an arsehole on his own. I see no reason to drag his family into this, it's pretty shitty tactics. By all means Fuck Him Into The Ground, but it's not his sprogs fault that he fathered them.
I have to agree. It's all a bit creepy.
I have to agree with that as well. While I agree there is a resemblance, it is a bit slimy to bring that up, and his kids have not had a part in the proceedings and aren't relevant, so let them live their lives in peace.

real horrorshow

[quote="sacha"]Skeeve, where is this from?

It's from Skatje Myers' dead blog. Via Mister_Kolle's link to the Wayback Machine.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

SallyStrange, still not producing evidence that women in the secular community are receiving "literal threats of rape and murder" from people in the secular community and distorting what I have to say, says,
Justin Vacula, it is beyond rude to presume that you are empowered to speak for other people and tell them what is a threat and what is not. It betrays a total lack of empathy. Please stop minimizing the distress this sort of vitriolic rhetoric causes. At one point, I helped organize my local SlutWalk. I set up a Facebook page for the event, and I made the mistake of having my real name associated with it. Within a day, my FB account had been spoofed, and (of course being a noob) I had low privacy controls, so people were spreading my real name, address, and phone number over the internet in conjunction with inflammatory remarks attributed to me, which I did not make. I also received a number of emails saying I should be raped. About five, IIRC. None of them ever came to anything but it's stressful and disconcerting and had the effect of putting obstacles in the way of my real life feminist activism. Do not presume to tell me what I should and should not take seriously. You don't live my life, you don't see the emails I get, and the same thing is true of Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, and all the other women you seem to track and follow all over the internet in order to tell them how silly they are for being alarmed or intimidated about the messages they get. I find your consistent minimizing of the distress this sort of thing can cause to be absolutely appalling and morally outrageous. I wish you'd stop.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

sacha wrote:Skeeve, where is this from?
It was linked upthread, Feminism. (You'll have to scroll down some to get to it.)

I had forgotten about her blog. I remember when she tore up this guy for saying something really stupid once. I'm pretty damn sure he learned his lesson.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

[youtube]X-77txuiVXs[/youtube]

I wonder what the Skepchicks and the FC5 (6) think of this one.

Objectification and sexualization of women? :o

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

While on that thought, the FC5 (6) makes the SlymePit to be an 'internet hate machine' a la the hilarious FOX News report on Anonymous from years ago:

[youtube]b2iZG5JU_Zk[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

disumbrationist wrote: *flush*
Oh all right, what about this one then? Remember when Conservatives were being touted as stupid?

http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservati ... 03506.html
There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.
I expect to see more "tit for tat" in the future.