Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Tony Parsehole

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mykeru wrote:
I hate the apples and orange mixing of "the atheist and skeptical community" as it's very possible to be an atheist in a non-critical manner with no skepticism at all. I also assume, perhaps wrongly (very wrongly, in fact) that if one is a skeptic one would tend to be an atheist. God is the 900 lb gorilla of skepticism.
Aye.
Atheist =/= sceptic. 9/11 truthers, UFO conspiracy nuts and FTB are all proof of that.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Ape+lust wrote:Any of you Murkins remember the PUMAs of election 2008? That's short for "Party Unity, My Ass."

When Hillary Clinton broke as frontrunner in the primaries, many feminists were jubilant. History in the making! Problem was, there was another history-maker who could fight as dirty as Hillary. Her minions would lob "sexist" bombs at him and get buried under the "racist" return fire.

At Democratic Underground ("Vote Democratic or die"), this caused a huge schism. Many long-time regulars who had been snarling enforcers of the dictum that a third party vote is a vote for GOP ruin, suddenly saw Obama's refusal to roll over as the misogynistic core of the Democrats bursting open. We watched quitting members turn up at PUMA sites.

PUMA was nothing more than a movement for vengeance. You won't give us Hillary? We'll give you McCain. In other words, by their own measure, they'd rather burn the country to the ground than cede to not-Hillary.

So, if we'd used PZ's nostrum, "just listen to the women," who should we have listened to? The squalling bunch who wanted the party purged of "misogyny and hate" right fucking NOW, or the women who stayed and worked for the nominee?

He can insist until he's purple, but that handful of pampered pop tarts he surrounds himself with cannot speak for all women.
------------------
This same thing happened at the Daily Kos. It was stupid and they were reading any negative words about Hillary as hatred of women in general. Well, I am a woman and I did not want another Bush or Clinton in the White House. I had to hold my nose to vote for Bill Clinton in the first place.
I am glad most of the noisy ones left in a huff. Made is more pleasant.

And I hope the FTB/Skepchick crew boycotts TAM again. I had a blast without them this year.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Well, some of the FTB/Skepchick crew boycotted TAM. There were still some who went and got to face some of the pushback they are responsible for.

Oh boy, they really didn't like it!!! Thing is Baboons (I know you read this, wankstains) the majority of the atheist/skeptic community are becoming hostile to your ilk. Suck it up.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Outwest wrote:This is a great clip of shermer, Harris and Chopra. I especially liked Harris starting around 1:50 saying he would never get on a stage at CalTech and give a talk on Physics because he doesnt know physics.

Anyone we know like that?

[youtube]ryqwvh5FsCc[/youtube]
OT, but I was at that debate at CalTech. Jean Houston....no words. Had no business being there. Added nothing. I thought I had heard Chopra suggested her. She embarrassed me as a female.
Sam Harris as always stole the fucking show.

Michael and Sam discussed god as most believers in god see him/her/it. Chopra tried to redefine the term so much that it was too amorphous for anyone to debate. I am sure that made him think he won.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Certainly is, JackRayner.

The Baboons have long disliked Shermer because he happens to be successful with the laydeez. A terrible crime in Baboon Land!
Makes perfect sense! I mean, we all know that heterosexual intercourse is rape, and the erect penis is an invention of The Patriarchy whose only purpose is to oppress womyn-kind.

By the way, the Mr. Hankey song has been stuck in my head every since that first reply I posted....

:hankey:

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

HoneyWagon wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Any of you Murkins remember the PUMAs of election 2008? That's short for "Party Unity, My Ass."

When Hillary Clinton broke as frontrunner in the primaries, many feminists were jubilant. History in the making! Problem was, there was another history-maker who could fight as dirty as Hillary. Her minions would lob "sexist" bombs at him and get buried under the "racist" return fire.

At Democratic Underground ("Vote Democratic or die"), this caused a huge schism. Many long-time regulars who had been snarling enforcers of the dictum that a third party vote is a vote for GOP ruin, suddenly saw Obama's refusal to roll over as the misogynistic core of the Democrats bursting open. We watched quitting members turn up at PUMA sites.

PUMA was nothing more than a movement for vengeance. You won't give us Hillary? We'll give you McCain. In other words, by their own measure, they'd rather burn the country to the ground than cede to not-Hillary.

So, if we'd used PZ's nostrum, "just listen to the women," who should we have listened to? The squalling bunch who wanted the party purged of "misogyny and hate" right fucking NOW, or the women who stayed and worked for the nominee?

He can insist until he's purple, but that handful of pampered pop tarts he surrounds himself with cannot speak for all women.
------------------
This same thing happened at the Daily Kos. It was stupid and they were reading any negative words about Hillary as hatred of women in general. Well, I am a woman and I did not want another Bush or Clinton in the White House. I had to hold my nose to vote for Bill Clinton in the first place.
I am glad most of the noisy ones left in a huff. Made is more pleasant.

And I hope the FTB/Skepchick crew boycotts TAM again. I had a blast without them this year.
I agree, and its absurd. The sexism charge is lobbed around way too easily when its wholly without merit. I just heard it this morning being used to describe whats going on with Susan Rice, the Obama potential appointee for Secretary of State that's getting a lot of GOP resistance. Its naked partisanship and obstructionism, but sexism? Not in the slightest.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Just woke up to the predictable outcome that Shermer's post has caused some ripples. What I didn't expect was the Spanish Inquisition that Shermer would tweet a link to 'Phawrongula'!

By the way, I think Myers is confused. The 'brave hero' stuff is '@ElevatorGATE', and he doesn't post on the Slymepit. People who write 'brave hero' here seem to mostly be mocking it (well I certainly am).

welch

Post by welch »

Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Does EllenBeth Wachs read the Slymepit?

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/12-12-12/#comment-7636
EllenBeth surfs the internet looking for mentions of her name so I'm sure she checks in at least once a day.
Nah. She just has lots of google alerts. She's waaaaaay too lazy to do all the work of looking for her name

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Notung wrote:Just woke up to the predictable outcome that Shermer's post has caused some ripples. What I didn't expect was the Spanish Inquisition that Shermer would tweet a link to 'Phawrongula'!

By the way, I think Myers is confused. The 'brave hero' stuff is '@ElevatorGATE', and he doesn't post on the Slymepit. People who write 'brave hero' here seem to mostly be mocking it (well I certainly am).
I'm pretty sure he's trolling just about everyone with that Brave Hero shtick. At least, I hope he is, cause when looked at in that light, it's pretty hilarious.

franc

Post by franc »

welch wrote:
Altair wrote:
welch wrote:So yeah, I actually CAN see how women are intimidated by speaking at a conference in a situation where they're in a rather severe minority.
Why does this happen? Not a snarky or facetious question, I'm actually interested. Is there a perception that men will go after the women who speaks at the conference? Fear of not being taken seriously? Something else entirely?
I wish I knew, but I think in this, you'd have to talk to women about it. I get a huge rush out of speaking in public, so I don't even get being afraid at all.
"Extroverts" vs. "introverts". I detest speaking to any more than 2 or 3 people at a time. There is much more of a case to be made for "discrimination" against introverts - though introverts are thankful for the exclusion.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

franc wrote:
"Extroverts" vs. "introverts". I detest speaking to any more than 2 or 3 people at a time. There is much more of a case to be made for "discrimination" against introverts - though introverts are thankful for the exclusion.
I'm as introverted as they come. In fact, when I take the Myers Briggs test, I pretty much always score 100% introvert.

That being said, the idea of talking to three or four people on their own makes me break out into a cold sweat. I stammer. I stumble. I just...freeze up.

But, get me in front of a crowd of dozens or hundreds, and I'm right at home. In fact, I volunteer for the occasion anytime I can (briefings at work, etc...).

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote: Related is Mykeru's comment on Reap Sow Radio, with Reap, Al, and Paul Elam where he says something to the effect of: If a woman wants you to bite her ass so hard it leaves marks, perhaps you should consider what she could do with that evidence. (Mykeru, please correct me if I am wrong), and Elam says something about taking responsibility for what may happen. (I can't go back and find the exact quotes on the podcast right now) This is fucked.
The context, if I recall correctly, was the false accusation against the sportscaster Marv Albert. Apparently, the bite marks on the woman's behind that were used as evidence were a result of her proclivity for asking partners to do that kind of thing. It's analogous to someone into S&M using their pinked fanny as evidence of non-consensual sex.

In fine "blame-the-victim" fashion I was of the opinion that may be the case, but Marv Albert was a fucking idiot for putting himself in that sort of situation with an unbalanced women by biting her ass just because she liked that sort of thing.

I might have mentioned the woman who crashed at my place over the summer. I had dated her a couple times and didn't hear from her for a while She called me, worse for wear, from alcohol and I let her stay at my place. She abandoned her stuff at a hotel and didn't seem in a hurry to recover it. No idea she was that kind of drinker. Apparently a post-divorce downwards spiral. I had to go to the beer and wine mart at 6:00 am to get her wine so she didn't DT on me. She drank my fucking mouthwash for the 25% alcohol. It's at the point when you get up in the morning and ask the chick on your couch "Did you drink the Listerine?" that you know you are in trouble. Being a nice guy is a great way to put yourself in a vulnerable situation and it was only after the fact I realized all it would take is one phone call made by a jonesing drunk twunt to turn my life into complete shit.

Also, only scumbags are buying hooch at opening time at the beer and wine mart.

"Bite you on the ass, hard? Oh Okay" Marv said without having the presence of mind to think "You know, this could end up badly". I mean, why not, right Al? The woman is nice enough to bang you, and it's impolite and just plan misogynistic to entertain the thought that she might have some mental problems that could turn on you.

Guys really have to start thinking in terms of not being so accommodating and toss a bone to self-preservation.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

John Brown wrote:
franc wrote:
I'm as introverted as they come. In fact, when I take the Myers Briggs test, I pretty much always score 100% introvert.

That being said, the idea of talking to three or four people on their own makes me break out into a cold sweat. I stammer. I stumble. I just...freeze up.

But, get me in front of a crowd of dozens or hundreds, and I'm right at home. In fact, I volunteer for the occasion anytime I can (briefings at work, etc...).
I'm the same way. It's odd, but then I read that a number of actors are the same way. Maybe it is due to a controlled environment? Plus I get a rush from it.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Sulaco wrote:
John Brown wrote:
franc wrote:

I'm the same way. It's odd, but then I read that a number of actors are the same way. Maybe it is due to a controlled environment? Plus I get a rush from it.
My girlfriend is a complete extrovert. I do well in small groups with her because she will allow me to "play off of her" in order to make a connection with other people. She sets me up for some great one-liners or full conversations and when the conversation lags (because I suck at small talk) she gently nudges it in the right direction.

I love that woman.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

FfTB sanction (and proudly flaunts) ignoring the laws of copyright.

You know how Stephanie Svan was one of the people bitching most loudly about copyright infringement recently? Did you also know that she occasionally organizes for herself and some Tweet buddies to get together and watch a movie while mocking it through tweets?

Now, forget for a moment how plain fucking pathetic a person's life must be to spend an evening watching a cheaply-made movie just so you and three other halfbreeds can mash out some cutting comments about how you can totally see that the alien mask is made from cardboard and jism. Just remember the first it, about Svan being anti-copyright-infringement.

And then read this, her advertisement for the latest shit-film-tweeting experience:
This Thursday, on December 13, it will be Yor, the Hunter from the Future. How can we resist? Well-oiled caveman with 80s hair meets dinosaurs and laser beams. Come on. You’d do it too. In fact, you can, as long as it doesn’t get pulled before we get to it.
It's my bolding, which shows that Svan knows that this copy of the movie is not a legal one (ie her watching it gives no money to the creators), but does not give a shit.

Truly, ladies and gentlemen, Svan is a terribly, worthless cunt.

PS: a commenter gives a link to where "this can be downloaded as an mp4. The linked website does not seem to require payment for this generous service to humanity.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... n-edition/

ConcentratedH2O, OM

The quote in my above post ends after "mp4".

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

It's almost Xmas and maybe we should be more charitable.
For example; justice should define Ben Zvan as a victim that has been controlled and "shudder" seduced by the self admitted effective bitch Stephanie (Sonia Blanchette)Svan rather than a male gender traitor or a lowly chill boy.
Let's not make the mistake of punishing the victims!

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

petal

Post by petal »

ScooterKPFT wrote:People whom refuse vaccination should be charged with child endangerment if they are within one hundred feet of any child under the age of three years old whom has not been fully immunized.

One of the pediatric practices I deal with refer any unvaccinated patient under age 2 with a fever to the emergency department. They will _not_ see them in the office. I have always assumed it was to protect the children whose parents have enough sense to vaccinate. I've even heard of pediatricians firing patients (the unfortunate offspring) whose parents refuse vaccination. It's a tough subject, though. I think most pediatricians make an effort to educate and persuade parents instead of firing the kids from their practice. After all, it's not the kids' fault, and if they have no pediatrician they get no preventative treatment for other medical problems which may arise.

cunt

Post by cunt »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:FfTB sanction (and proudly flaunts) ignoring the laws of copyright.

Now, forget for a moment how plain fucking pathetic a person's life must be to spend an evening watching a cheaply-made movie just so you and three other halfbreeds can mash out some cutting comments about how you can totally see that the alien mask is made from cardboard and jism.
:(

Never heard of MST3K? Only reason I don't do this is because I don't have any friends.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

HoneyWagon wrote:[iminge]http://i.imgur.com/nKYKO.jpg[/iminge]
Greg Laden, defender of tweens.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Certainly is, JackRayner.

The Baboons have long disliked Shermer because he happens to be successful with the laydeez. A terrible crime in Baboon Land!
And he's a libertarian.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

cunt wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:FfTB sanction (and proudly flaunts) ignoring the laws of copyright.

Now, forget for a moment how plain fucking pathetic a person's life must be to spend an evening watching a cheaply-made movie just so you and three other halfbreeds can mash out some cutting comments about how you can totally see that the alien mask is made from cardboard and jism.
:(

Never heard of MST3K? Only reason I don't do this is because I don't have any friends.
Don't worry, cunt I'm sure you criticize bad movies within a healthy environment. As I said, Svan's group is just herself and "three other halfbreeds".

There, there. You're a good person, yes you are. Mr Hanky agrees, look:
:hankey:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

JackRayner wrote:Makes perfect sense! I mean, we all know that heterosexual intercourse is rape...
And all sex is heterosexual.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Thanks for making me feel better. Shall we give and receive hugs?

Git

Post by Git »

cunt wrote:Thanks for making me feel better. Shall we give and receive hugs?
Is the right roomthread for hugs?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Git wrote:
Are you not worth of hugs?

And I would like to thank everyone who took part in the festivities on Shermer's article on (paraphrasing here) why Ophelia Benson is a cunt, which proved:

1. FTBullies are shit useless unless they control the venue

2. Damn, they are dumb

3. Cunt.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Ashley Miller still wants to associate herself with Greg Laden?

Also, what is "gender/colorblind bias"? I would have thought that looking past someone's "race" would be a good thing? The wish of saying "that person" instead of "that black person" somehow implies a prejudice of some sort? Because it "ignores privilege and oppression"? What does that mean? As for "oppression", do people want to think of themselves as powerless victims or do they want to rise above it? In which case, if more and more people looked past race and gender, it wouldn't an issue, would it? Nor any privilege to speak of. So I don't get it. Is it a legitimate term that has any scientific bearing to back it up, or is it just another brand of fearmongering?

This article makes the assertion that 'colorblindness' hinders racial equality, but I have my doubts as to how they came to this conclusion. For instance, they were split into two groups where they were told three different stories. In one group, they were told 'colorblind' stories (focused more on how similar we are to one another than different) and the other group told 'value-diversity' stories (focus to show how race is important because our race differences make us special). The experiment is to show which of these groups recognise discrimination the most. Well, already they've done it wrong. Both groups were told two ambiguously biased stories and one explicitly biased story (not sure what "biased" in this context means, but no matter), but they weren't told the same three stories from the same perspective. How can you make the conclusion that one group recognises discrimination more and the other doesn't, then, if one group is told two stories from a 'colorblind' perspective that don't ramp up discrimination, and the other told two stories that do ramp up discrimination based on racial differences?

Only the third story had an explicit bias in both groups, and in both groups they recognised discrimination from the third story.

Furthermore, it seems the researchers had it set to pursue the 'value-diversity' point of view from the get-go.
“[O]ur research suggests that exposure to colorblindness can actually reduce individuals’ sensitivity to meaningful racial differences. And as a result, when discrimination does occur, individuals with a colorblind mindset often fail to see it as such,” said Apfelbaum.

“Teachers were less likely to see the need for intervention because the students’ descriptions in the colorblind condition played down the race-related nature of the transgressions.

“In a real-world situation, bullying on the basis of race could go unnoticed by onlookers or be mistaken for ordinary misconduct by teachers who receive insufficient information to recognize it as discrimination.”

The researchers believe the study gives reason to explore the effectiveness of value-diversity efforts.

“Despite good intentions to promote egalitarianism through colorblindness, our findings show that doing so sometimes elicits the exact opposite outcome, permitting even explicit forms of racial discrimination to go undetected and unaddressed,” said Apfelbaum.

“Perhaps most alarming, on the surface, colorblindness appears to work quite well — reported incidents of bias do decrease. In spite of such encouraging signs, however, our study suggests that colorblindness may not reduce bias as much as it adjusts the lens through which bias is perceived.”
Bolded/underscore mine. Meaningful racial differences? Acknowledging that we're different biologically, skeletal structure, pigmentation, etc, is important. But emphasising our racial differences in the path to see past race, isn't that counterproductive? Beyond the mostly superficial, to quote Shakespeare, if you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? (Sorry for that highly cheesy moment, but it needed to be said. We all bleed red after all. Also, that quote concerns the differences between Jews and Christians, so I'm not going to use it as a vantage point.) By the way, the bolded in red is just a bizarre aside. I don't even know. Admittedly they do say it's an encouraging sign, but "most alarming"?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here, guys? Am I barking mad? Am I bark? (Stick to wood, not those tin things.)

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Wow, that quote from Harriet Hall is a bit depressing, because it indicates to me that people like Ophelia and her Confirmation Bias Commentariat actually have some damaging influence in the skeptiverse.
I had the opposite reaction. If more people like Harriet Hall took a public stance against these imbeciles, they would soon be shunned from the community. If you are a sceptic, and knew only what Watson and PZ are saying, until you heard Shermer and Hall, who do you think are the ones that are going to be taken seriously?
I hope you're right, sacha, and that it's just my lack of experience with the atheists/skeptics community and conferences that leads me to be pessimistic (and, hopefully, wrong in this case).

If Myers et al. were really serious about including more women and underrepresented minorities as speakers at conferences, it seems to me that there's a very simple way to at least begin to address this. When invited to speak at a conference, he could say "Look, I go to a lot of meetings and I really need to stay home and work instead, but here's a list of 10 people with science backgrounds who can give lucid, entertaining talks on evolution, human genetics, climate change, environmental toxicology, etc., and I think you should give one of them a chance to speak in my place."

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

[youtube]wraYX1YZs[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Git wrote:
Doesn't seem to have the requisite amount of wall padding ....

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Steersman wrote:
Git wrote:
We are going to need to hammer out some hug room protocols and policies. Safety and non-offence to everyone deemed worthy.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

If I'm understanding properly colour blindness in this context means in effect..ignor they are black. Well, I just think that's not going to happen...what I do ignor are my own pre judgments if I happen to have any.

I'm judging people from the second I see them but when doing so I listen to what's going through my mind. Checking myself for biases and then of course realising they are probabably doing exactly the same to me.... then I hope I have smashed a few sterotypes they may have on me.

No...I'm not going to ignore you are black but I'm gonna darn make sure I don't pre-judge you...like I would do with anyone else

on a side note:

Most of my dealings with black people here in Australia have been positive so I tend not to have any negative connotations when speaking/working with Aboriginal people. Except, on the streets,when they look shabby and unlept in which case I know they are going to ask me for a cigarette or some change...but I'm approached by beggers of all sorts and I treat them all the same.... generally I give what ever change I have in my pocket and sometimes engage them in small talk conversation. Especially the ones I see often.

I wasn't brought up in a White Bread enclave...I'm an inner city kid.

Natinal Front skinheads I have zero time for and avoid.

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Pitchguest wrote:Meaningful racial differences? Acknowledging that we're different biologically, skeletal structure, pigmentation, etc, is important. But emphasising our racial differences in the path to see past race, isn't that counterproductive? Beyond the mostly superficial, to quote Shakespeare, if you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? (Sorry for that highly cheesy moment, but it needed to be said. We all bleed red after all. Also, that quote concerns the differences between Jews and Christians, so I'm not going to use it as a vantage point.) By the way, the bolded in red is just a bizarre aside. I don't even know. Admittedly they do say it's an encouraging sign, but "most alarming"?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here, guys? Am I barking mad? Am I bark? (Stick to wood, not those tin things.)
The article has a point, but it's kind of trivial: If you look for racism, you'll find it. By not being colorblind, you might be able to detect more incidents of racism. You might get a bunch of false positives as well - whereas if you aim for colorblindness you could get false negatives. I think the authors are saying that colorblindness could lead to under-reporting of racist incidents - hence 'alarming.' It's all done from a social programming point of view: what stories can we tell our children to increase reporting of racist incidents?
Note that this would also certainly work with non-existent problems just as well. If you teach children that demons are real, they will be able to 'detect' demonic possession much better than their demon-blind friends. Closer to reality, you could probably do the same thing with left/right handedness. Teach them the diversity story and they'll be better detectors of handist persecution.

The position of an actual skeptic is to determine, based on the evidence, whether an incident or institution has a racial aspect - not to take a naive colorblind or a Social Justice(TM) mindset from the start. This is what we should be teaching children.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

BarnOwl wrote:
sacha wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Wow, that quote from Harriet Hall is a bit depressing, because it indicates to me that people like Ophelia and her Confirmation Bias Commentariat actually have some damaging influence in the skeptiverse.
I had the opposite reaction. If more people like Harriet Hall took a public stance against these imbeciles, they would soon be shunned from the community. If you are a sceptic, and knew only what Watson and PZ are saying, until you heard Shermer and Hall, who do you think are the ones that are going to be taken seriously?
I hope you're right, sacha, and that it's just my lack of experience with the atheists/skeptics community and conferences that leads me to be pessimistic (and, hopefully, wrong in this case).

If Myers et al. were really serious about including more women and underrepresented minorities as speakers at conferences, it seems to me that there's a very simple way to at least begin to address this. When invited to speak at a conference, he could say "Look, I go to a lot of meetings and I really need to stay home and work instead, but here's a list of 10 people with science backgrounds who can give lucid, entertaining talks on evolution, human genetics, climate change, environmental toxicology, etc., and I think you should give one of them a chance to speak in my place."
A question: We accept that women are more likely to be religious, yes? Do any of the people claiming to be increasing female participation in the community actually spend time going to the religious women and try to convince them?

One more thing that has been bugging me. All these emotive shock-rhetoric snippets used to slander whomever (slymepit, speakers, men, evo psych etc) are met with counter articles. The flaw I see is that those writing the counter articles are attempting to engage the original authors, but the original authors are not trying to reach those who disagree with them, they are preaching to their own congregations - and they absolutely are congregations. So when someone says "dont go to slymepit, they are X Y Z" it results in a lot of head scratching from those outside the ftb clique, as they cannot see WTF the fuss is, but for those in the ftb congregation it is met with raucous agreement. They remind me of a tribe huddled around the campfire, the leaders are free to invent whatever stories they wish when the listeners are too afraid to wander off and look for themselves.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Mykeru wrote:
Git wrote:
Are you not worth of hugs?

And I would like to thank everyone who took part in the festivities on Shermer's article on (paraphrasing here) why Ophelia Benson is a cunt, which proved:

1. FTBullies are shit useless unless they control the venue

2. Damn, they are dumb

3. Cunt.
Her pruniness is becoming a bigger cunt with every post, soon she will envelope all of fftb with it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitchguest wrote:Ashley Miller still wants to associate herself with Greg Laden?

Also, what is "gender/colorblind bias"? I would have thought that looking past someone's "race" would be a good thing? The wish of saying "that person" instead of "that black person" somehow implies a prejudice of some sort? Because it "ignores privilege and oppression"? What does that mean? As for "oppression", do people want to think of themselves as powerless victims or do they want to rise above it? In which case, if more and more people looked past race and gender, it wouldn't an issue, would it? Nor any privilege to speak of. So I don't get it. Is it a legitimate term that has any scientific bearing to back it up, or is it just another brand of fearmongering?
Seems more or less spot-on to me. Certainly inappropriate to say the least to limit civil rights on the basis of genetic differences. But not particularly wise to deny those differences – for one thing, it tends to be rather problematic in some cases such as, for example, the one discussed here earlier about tailoring medical interventions on the basis of race. A difference that many ideologues seem to have some difficulty wrapping their heads – pointed, priapic, or otherwise – around.

But to elaborate somewhat by considering another case I have been thinking about, there’s this Wikipedia article on the Medical genetics of Jews. I ran across it as a result of discussing with Scented Nectar the fact that Ashkenazi Jews tend to be rather long-lived, although I hadn’t realized that there are some problems that apparently seem to derive from the same causes.

But along the same line, I had read that Jews seem to comprise some 20% of the Nobel Laureates even though their percentage of the world population is very much less than that – maybe one tenth of one percent. Now one can readily argue that that is due to some notable and commendable aspects of their culture, but I believe that either Jacob Bronowski [The Ascent of Man] or Norbert Wiener – one of the progenitors of the science of cybernetics – suggested that that was due in part to a difference in cultural values influencing and selecting the underlying genetics. More specifically, they argued that historically in many cultures the smarter males tended to go into the priesthood, but in Catholic ones they were prevented from having children while, of course, in Jewish ones they were permitted to do so. Or, as a book titled “Complexity” [M. Mitchell Waldrop] put it:
Prigogine’s central point was that self-organization depends on self-reinforcement: a tendency for small effects to become magnified when conditions are right.
Now of course many ideologues are going to react in horror to that: “Oh no! You, you, racist!” While clutching their pearls and availing themselves of the fainting couch in a great show of histrionics. But they fail to realize – maybe not surprisingly as population genetics seems not to be common knowledge – that whatever gene or allele undergirds that capability, if it exists, is probably only marginally more prevalent in that culture than any other one – maybe, for the sake of argument, 1.793% in the case of Jews and maybe 1.694% in gentile ones. Just that the cultural values might tend – probably do, apparently do tend – to amplify, to magnify those slight differences.

Interesting and probably of some value to know the details, but certainly not sufficient to grant any additional civil or moral rights on that basis. However, race-sex-colour blindness seems likely preclude or certainly hinder efforts to understand those types of processes.

sacha

Post by sacha »

[quote="Altair"]

I highly doubt that a person who is actually RAPING someone is going to say "Shit, I was totally ready to rape this woman, but now that I see her panties saying 'No means No' I realize the wrongness of my actions and I'm going to stop right now"./quote]

hahaha!

DataNotDogma

Post by DataNotDogma »

Outwest wrote:Wow. There are a lot of "guests" on this site. I've noticed this afternoon as many as 35. If you like this site, why not just sign up and let yourself be known? There's no banning here, there's no recriminations for anything you might say. You might have to take some ribbing. But that's about it.

I've been reading through old posts. Came across this and figured I'd say hi. Hi.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Lsuoma wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/TKI5Z.jpg
Michael Shermer is a BRAVE HERO!!!
and I thought that the slime pit was composed of six people and the rest were socks. Can six people "come out in force"?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Altair wrote:
I highly doubt that a person who is actually RAPING someone is going to say "Shit, I was totally ready to rape this woman, but now that I see her panties saying 'No means No' I realize the wrongness of my actions and I'm going to stop right now".
hahaha!
Well, obviously Altair just doesn’t realize that words such as “cunt” can turn those hearing them catatonic or into quivering bowls of jello. Or that it apparently affects some that way so it is of course natural for them to assume that similar words are going to have those effects on everyone else ….

sacha

Post by sacha »

Pitchguest wrote:Ahhhh shit, I shouldn't have continued reading the comments. I'm going to give myself an aneurysm one of these days. Now skeptifem has joined in, and I'm constantly confused as to why this person is still given quarter at this place. One commenter said in response to Josh's idiocy of Cara's "feminity" that she was hot, and skeptifem busts out this fucknugget:
A woman in public isn’t begging for your assessment by existing, so its gross when you give out such information without solicitation. No one cares what gives you a boner.
Says the woman who coined the term "gender traitor." A word of advice, skeptifem: shut the fuck up.
"Gender Traitor" has been around a lot longer than Skeptifem

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Git wrote:Cunt said:
"Thanks for making me feel better. Shall we give and receive hugs?"

We are going to need to hammer out some hug room protocols and policies. Safety and non-offence to everyone deemed worthy.
We will, of course, have to set up a whole bunch of committees to decide on worthiness – checking everyone’s privilege, who’s been naughty – or just knotty – and who’s been nice ….

And then we should take all those volunteering for those committees and put them on the Ark B ….

But I sort of feel a little sorry for the “person in question” – she seemed like she was about 3 years old and had just been sent to her room without any dessert. Almost criminal to be unduly harsh with someone of that age ….

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

DataNotDogma wrote:
Outwest wrote:Wow. There are a lot of "guests" on this site. I've noticed this afternoon as many as 35. If you like this site, why not just sign up and let yourself be known? There's no banning here, there's no recriminations for anything you might say. You might have to take some ribbing. But that's about it.

I've been reading through old posts. Came across this and figured I'd say hi. Hi.

G'day....just dive in.... don't be shy like me...

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Steersman wrote: We are going to need to hammer out some hug room protocols and policies. Safety and non-offence to everyone deemed worthy.
We will, of course, have to set up a whole bunch of committees to decide on worthiness – checking everyone’s privilege, who’s been naughty – or just knotty – and who’s been nice ….

And then we should take all those volunteering for those committees and put them on the Ark B ….

I will have to insist that any such hugging will have to be proper lingering ones where it's like this ][ and not like this /\... if you catch my drift.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Rawrsome wrote:
FlyingFree333 says:
December 12, 2012 at 3:21 am
When will these conferences stop inviting know-nothing bloggers to speak? The problem is giving attention seeking, opinionated, drama queens (and kings) soap boxes to rant from and unnecessary feeding of their already overblown and unjustified egos. Being a blogger does NOT make anyone an expert on anything! Conferences should stick to inviting real experts and professionals with real experience and real credentials as speakers and leave the bloggers to do their small minded ranting on their blogs where the rest of us can ignore them as they deserve.
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/12-12-12/#comment-7613

I think I found my soul mate.

Flyingfree333 is great, he was on the Angry Atheist podcast http://angryatheist.info/?p=589

DataNotDogma

Post by DataNotDogma »

As the newest member I feel I have the least privilege and therefore am most deserving of hugs.

Reap

Post by Reap »

DataNotDogma wrote:As the newest member I feel I have the least privilege and therefore am most deserving of hugs.

Then go hug your mother :D

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

TheMan wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote: We are going to need to hammer out some hug room protocols and policies. Safety and non-offence to everyone deemed worthy.

I will have to insist that any such hugging will have to be proper lingering ones where it's like this ][ and not like this /\... if you catch my drift.
Sorry, don’t really get the meaning there; feeling a little obtuse myself at the moment – getting rather late.

One might infer that “/\” has some “pointed” meaning, but I draw a blank on “][” – maybe, at a stretch, something to do with “bra-ket” notation [which I know all about having read the first half-chapter in Quantum Physics for Dummies ….]

P.S. You might want to use the Preview function to check the nesting of quotes. :-)

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

On the topic of reaching out to minorities in the atheist community, the atheist experience guys (including Matt D.) had a discussion about it waaaaaaay back in Nov. 2010 on episode 9.12 of their non-prophets podcast, in which all the people present pretty much said the exact same thing Shermer is getting attacked for right now about how obsessing on race/gender can prove to be an unproductive exercise for the atheist community (not to mention patronizing, but that's just my personal opinion). AND Matt D. & Co. were doing this as a rebuttal (privilege-splaining?) to a non-white south Asian atheist complaining that the atheist community wasn't reaching out to minorities, and basically telling him that his opinion is just plain wrong (and rightfully so, I might add, I just want to point out that there was a time when atheists didn't stop to look around whether their white, hetero, cis, blahblahblah whatever was showing). Anyway here's the link to the podcast, skip to 1hr43min for the relevant discussion which goes on for approx 15 mins thereafter (if someone whose better at capturing audio wants to trim it to just the relevant bit, go nuts),

http://nonprophetsradio.com/audio/The%2 ... 209.12.mp3

Best part is at the 1hr53min mark when Matt is responding to both the asian atheist and a then-nobody (more so than she is now) Jen McCreight about the four horsemen and having more minorities/women speaking at conventions,
Matt Dillahunty wrote:When you talk about Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins, as the Premier [of atheist activism], yes they are all white guys...and so what? It is not racist or sexist to identify the most popular people as top tier.

DataNotDogma

Post by DataNotDogma »

Reap wrote:
DataNotDogma wrote:As the newest member I feel I have the least privilege and therefore am most deserving of hugs.

Then go hug your mother :D
Gross! Actual physical hugs? I e-hug only.

(Jesus fucking Christ spell check is fine with e-hug)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Steersman wrote: Sorry, don’t really get the meaning there; feeling a little obtuse myself at the moment – getting rather late.

One might infer that “/\” has some “pointed” meaning, but I draw a blank on “][” – maybe, at a stretch, something to do with “bra-ket” notation [which I know all about having read the first half-chapter in Quantum Physics for Dummies ….]

P.S. You might want to use the Preview function to check the nesting of quotes. :-)
/\ is a cis straight bro hug, where the groins don't touch. Shoulders/chest only.

I imagine that ][ is a hug that merges into special sexy time with the appropriate partner, or just frottage more generally.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

sacha wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Ahhhh shit, I shouldn't have continued reading the comments. I'm going to give myself an aneurysm one of these days. Now skeptifem has joined in, and I'm constantly confused as to why this person is still given quarter at this place. One commenter said in response to Josh's idiocy of Cara's "feminity" that she was hot, and skeptifem busts out this fucknugget:
A woman in public isn’t begging for your assessment by existing, so its gross when you give out such information without solicitation. No one cares what gives you a boner.
Says the woman who coined the term "gender traitor." A word of advice, skeptifem: shut the fuck up.
"Gender Traitor" has been around a lot longer than Skeptifem
Ah, so it has! My bad. Then, I'll revise: says the woman who's fine using the term "gender traitor" to describe other women. I'll stand by my previous statements of her shutting her trap, though. :D

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Steersman wrote: Sorry, don’t really get the meaning there; feeling a little obtuse myself at the moment – getting rather late.

/\ is a cis straight bro hug, where the groins don't touch. Shoulders/chest only.

I imagine that ][ is a hug that merges into special sexy time with the appropriate partner, or just frottage more generally.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. The marvels and intricacies of communications, updated for new media ….

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

Pharyngula's comment section: Where the only winning move is not to play

The very first comment on that article is someone who wants to spit in Shermer's face.

I don't understand how any outsider could read these sorts of things and still want to be a part of that group. Yet they are concerned about attendances and outreach? Pfft.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pinker wrote:Pharyngula's comment section: Where the only winning move is not to play

The very first comment on that article is someone who wants to spit in Shermer's face.

I don't understand how any outsider could read these sorts of things and still want to be a part of that group. Yet they are concerned about attendances and outreach? Pfft.
A whole bunch over there that let their spleens get the better of their brains.

But you’re right about “attendances and outreach” – they might just as well shoot themselves in the feet.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Mykeru great job in the comment thread on Shermers post- I see a lot of common sense from here on the thread (i'm only on comment 40 somethin)
Excellent examples of how the people who are so safe in the bubble face a bunch of sharp sticks when in a public forum they don't control. And oolon ? What a joke like that fool didn't look bad enough before, some people never learn

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Steersman wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. The marvels and intricacies of communications, updated for new media ….
I will use the preview more often in future. Been missing it lately and the quote confidence I'd downer than usual.

Kiwi got it. You need to hug more Steerzo and be aware how you hug.

][+

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

TheMan wrote:
Steersman wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: ....

Kiwi got it. You need to hug more Steerzo and be aware how you hug.
Hadn’t been aware that I had been giving or receiving any hugs. Although maybe I missed the bulletins on protocols and policies.

But Steerzo? Fuck off.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:
Wild Zontargs wrote: Related is Mykeru's comment on Reap Sow Radio, with Reap, Al, and Paul Elam where he says something to the effect of: If a woman wants you to bite her ass so hard it leaves marks, perhaps you should consider what she could do with that evidence. (Mykeru, please correct me if I am wrong), and Elam says something about taking responsibility for what may happen. (I can't go back and find the exact quotes on the podcast right now) This is fucked.
The context, if I recall correctly, was the false accusation against the sportscaster Marv Albert. Apparently, the bite marks on the woman's behind that were used as evidence were a result of her proclivity for asking partners to do that kind of thing. It's analogous to someone into S&M using their pinked fanny as evidence of non-consensual sex.

In fine "blame-the-victim" fashion I was of the opinion that may be the case, but Marv Albert was a fucking idiot for putting himself in that sort of situation with an unbalanced women by biting her ass just because she liked that sort of thing...

"Bite you on the ass, hard? Oh Okay" Marv said without having the presence of mind to think "You know, this could end up badly". I mean, why not, right Al? The woman is nice enough to bang you, and it's impolite and just plan misogynistic to entertain the thought that she might have some mental problems that could turn on you.

Guys really have to start thinking in terms of not being so accommodating and toss a bone to self-preservation.
I completely agree and have mentioned this to numerous male friends, and implored other men to heed my warning. There are not many women I trust, and I can spot a vindictive personality within minutes.
My point was that it really fucks things up for women like me, who do like to be tossed about, and would never lie about the circumstances, even if I despised them. There are already plenty of men who feel ashamed that being dominant and rough turns them on because they are made to feel ashamed by society, which has succeeded in convincing them that not only is something wrong with them for being sexually aroused by this, but that women, like children, cannot give consent, and they need to protect women by dismissing their preference for the same type of sex, no matter how much they would like to participate, add the fact that there are not a lot of men who like being dominant sexually, and then on top of that, add the fear of being set up as some sort of insurance policy/blackmail in case they ever want to leave the relationship, and I may as well enter a convent.

My preferences are not even BDSM, I can't imagine what women who enjoy being truly physically hurt, and like me, would never even think of using it against someone are feeling about this, although perhaps in the BDSM community, there is not such a problem getting what one wants. I don't know, I've never been interested in that scene.

I'm just glad that I got to experience everything I wanted to try (at least twice) when I was younger, now I want less physical dominance, and more psychological, so I very rarely have any "evidence" left after a particularly enjoyable evening, and I'm very glad that my age preference in men is mid to late 50's, because elder men with more experience are able to read women a hell of a lot better, choose a hell of a lot better, and the men I'm attracted to, not only have a good idea of what sort of person I will be after, but know precisely what will interest me, long before our clothes are shed, and if they ever had any shame about what they like, they lost it years before they met me.

I may discuss sex here too easily, and too often, with too much information given, and I know my complete lack of any shame regarding sex, and my experiences may be shocking to many, (Hi FfTB, Skepchick, and A+ers), even to some of the misogynistic slime pitters, and to those who are not shocked, yes, I know I can be a complete bore, (although I see no difference between that and the "my gun is better than yours, and I am more military-trained, and adept at survival under extreme circumstances") but when it comes to a group of people attempting to criminalise a type of victimless, consensual sex, or making it impossible to find because of the fear of false allegations, I don't give a fuck that some here are thinking "sacha's on about sex again, *yawn*.

It's quite rare that I ever give a fuck.

smooches to the pitters.

Regarding atheism, I find that the majority of atheists in the US are not sceptics at all. I would like to see the word atheism removed from the atheist/sceptic community as well, I do find that the vast majority of sceptics are atheists, and giving religion a pass in the US sceptic community is becoming more and more rare. My first TAM, religion was off limits, by my second TAM, there were a lot of talks that were specifically about atheism without apology, and without accommodation. When the SGU began, atheism was never discussed, and was not a welcome topic. Steven Novella considered himself an agnostic, now he calls himself an atheist, and religion is no longer a completely taboo subject on the podcast.