Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
James Onen

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by James Onen »

TedDahlberg wrote: I think libertarianism is bloody stupid most of the time (not libertarians as persons, the -ism).
Why do you think libertarianism is stupid most of the time? I lean towards libertarianism myself 8-)

James Onen

Post by James Onen »

AndrewV69 wrote:Well I have been waiting for someone else to speak up about Taslima Nasreen so at this point I guess it is up to me.

Sorry people if you admire her, but she is quite simply, an intellectual parrot, another PZ Myers but without his sense of responsibility.

It is pretty clear that she has been elevated in the West due to her parroting while in possession of a sacred Yonni. She has as much credibility as Mona Eltahawy, and certainly less that that pwecious, pwecious hothouse flower Salman Rushdie.

You would be better off listening to people like Irshad Manji and Ayaan Hirsi Ali (neither of whom have a snowballs chance in hell of reform BTW), rather than the pretentious opportunistic attention whores who make a living off regurgitating catch phrases.

But do not take my word for it about Nasreen. Go read her blog on FftB and see the superficial shallow, vain, self indulgent puffery for yourself.

This is no hero. Worship her at your own risk.

See: http://www.avoiceformen.com/misandry/ta ... al-praise/

James Onen

Over $3000 per month on Freethought Blogs

Post by James Onen »

John Loftus said:
I won't link to what PZ said because he already makes over $3000 per month on Freethought Blogs alone.
http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.c ... of-pz.html

Over $3000 per month? :shock:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Over $3000 per month on Freethought Blogs

Post by Gumby »

James Onen wrote:John Loftus said:
I won't link to what PZ said because he already makes over $3000 per month on Freethought Blogs alone.

That was based on an earlier post Loftus did where he looked at his page views and what he was paid, and extrapolated PZ's blog income based on Pharyngula's known page views. It could be even higher than $3000, since PZ and Ed presumably pay themselves more than any of the other bloggers.

Getting paid $3000 a month to be nasty and miserable? I'm in the wrong line of work!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Gumby wrote:

That was based on an earlier post Loftus did where he looked at his page views and what he was paid, and extrapolated PZ's blog income based on Pharyngula's known page views. It could be even higher than $3000, since PZ and Ed presumably pay themselves more than any of the other bloggers.

Getting paid $3000 a month to be nasty and miserable? I'm in the wrong line of work!
No wonder he can afford to go to all those atheist cons, I bet his university doesn't pay him enough to do that.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dilurk wrote:
Gumby wrote:

No wonder he can afford to go to all those atheist cons, I bet his university doesn't pay him enough to do that.
No, being an associate professor (or whatever his title is) at a small college doesn't pay nearly enough to go on trips all over the world many times a year. Plus, remember that PZ may also get speaking fees for some events, and still gets paid by NatGeo to maintain the SciBlogs Pharyngula. Abbie probably knows about how much he makes simply to copy-paste selected material from here over to SciBlogs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's sweet "work" if you can get it. But his travel expenses have to be ginormous; I wonder how many other cookie jars he has his grubby tentacles in.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

:o O-Ophelia now thinks I was right after all: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-228557
Ophelia Benson says:
July 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

Actual information! Thanks Seymour.

It appears that you’re right, tigzy. Which is good! Things aren’t as miserable as I thought.

(I have vivid memories of a boss who ignored supervisors’ firm instructions to give extra shade-and-water breaks during a hot spell – ignored them despite the fact that one worker had died on the job on a broiling day a few weeks before.)
I honestly don't knew whether I should see it as a victory or a defeat.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tigzy wrote::o O-Ophelia now thinks I was right after all: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-228557
Ophelia Benson says:
July 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

Actual information! Thanks Seymour.

It appears that you’re right, tigzy. Which is good! Things aren’t as miserable as I thought.

(I have vivid memories of a boss who ignored supervisors’ firm instructions to give extra shade-and-water breaks during a hot spell – ignored them despite the fact that one worker had died on the job on a broiling day a few weeks before.)
I honestly don't knew whether I should see it as a victory or a defeat.
Just see it as someone agreeing with you ;)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Yeah, but now I'm afraid of posting on her blog in case she agrees with me some more.

I'm wondering if it's an amazingly skilled and nuanced ploy to get me to fuck off from her blog. Though I'm not sure Ophelia could ever be that subtle...could she?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

I'm re-reading an earlier post of John's

Some good thoughts to ponder
This is why David Eller argues a true freethinker is someone unattached to a community because a community will influence what we think. Daniel has dehumanized (or even worse, demonized) me because of these disagreements
In fact, this is what you are doing in this post of yours. The phrase “herd mentality” is meant to signify protection of the herd, that is, the people at FtB. The tendency is to attack anyone outside the herd, that is me, out of loyalty to the herd.
When it comes to the internet this is a different impersonal venue. I know this. So many others don't. So I try to separate a person's argument from them as people. I try to treat people respectfully as much as possible knowing the temptation to blast anonymous names on the internet. And I also separate a particular disagreement I have with someone away from what we largely agree about. The myopic and utterly ignorant people among us will conclude that because we have one disagreement about one issue that therefore those who disagree on that one issue are totally ignorant and not worth paying attention to at all. Intelligent educated people can disagree on one issue and not conclude the other person is totally ignorant about everything else. The really ignorant people are the ones who dehumanize others because of one particular disagreement.
And that folks, sums it up why I am here.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Things I really did not need to know:

- SallyStrange apparently really is a) a woman, b)has successfully reproduced.

https://twitter.com/#!/SallyStrange/med ... 2FYILltw2b

Of course if she has really earned that sleep deprived look, she has perhaps ignored the fundamental rule to raising small children. When baby goes down for a nap you do the same.

You do NOT use baby nap time to "catch up" on any other activities except to get some sleep for yourself, otherwise your ability to cope in all aspects rapidly goes downhill.

Been there, done that, have the T shirt.

My kids when they were in the baby and small toddler stages, used to sleep very soundly lying on my chest. I suspect it had something to do with hearing my heart beating. In any event, they slept longer and much more deeply on my chest than if they were in their crib.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

A good rebuttal and dissection of Stefunny's defence of Greg's broken ladybrains here (not that Steffy's silly-arse inanities needed that much rebuttal in the first place): http://debunkingdenialism.com/2012/07/2 ... le-brains/

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Does anybody know what it is exactly she does? All I can recall is a reference to shovelling elephant shit in a zoo. Apart from that I've never heard any mention of her working for a living.
I had the very same question, bhoytony. I think OB mentioned that the zookeeper job was in the past, and only for a few years. Seattle is not an inexpensive place to live, by US standards, and even a fairly frugal lifestyle requires some sort of income. I doubt she's making sufficient income from writing and blogging, though I could be wrong (rather shocked at how much PZ makes, btw).

My hypothesis, unsupported by anything beyond a) OB's imperious, sulky, paranoid, and entitled online behavior and b) the imperious, sulky, paranoid, and entitled behavior of very wealthy people I know IRL, is that she comes from a wealthy background and doesn't need to work for a living.

Was it here I saw someone mention that her idea of a tragedy was when the local organic cafe couldn't make a soy milk latte? Was it franc that wrote that? In any case, it was hilarious, and so true. :lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy wrote: I honestly don't knew whether I should see it as a victory or a defeat.
You can see it as a "victory" I suppose, but really it should not matter except as a victory for "truth".

I stayed out of it myself, because among other things my knowledge about conditions on the ground in SA is outdated. I used to talk to people who either were working there or had worked there recently.

One thing that stood out about the tales of the adventures Westerners had there, was the difference in outlook and mores.

An IBM Systems Programmer told me of seeing a wallet lying on the ground for example, and he was careful to give it a very wide berth and keep on walking, and everyone else was doing the same.

"You do not want to pick it up to turn it in to the Police lest you be thought to be stealing. You can get into serious trouble picking up something that someone else dropped. The best thing to do is to ignore it".

Someone else told me of getting into a car accident and he was blamed for it because "You are a foreigner, and if you had never come here the accident would not have happened, therefore it is your fault".

franc

Post by franc »

bhoytony wrote:Yes I was referring to Benson's work history. I have never heard of any paid work except shit shoveller (perhaps she helped dig the foundations of the Parthenon or something). Apparently Watson worked briefly in marketing, so as you said, her only "real" job is as a street annoyance.
I'm with Bill Hicks on marketing.

She has a cunt, you owe her a living, So shut up.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tigzy wrote: I honestly don't knew whether I should see it as a victory or a defeat.
You can see it as a "victory" I suppose, but really it should not matter except as a victory for "truth".

I stayed out of it myself, because among other things my knowledge about conditions on the ground in SA is outdated. I used to talk to people who either were working there or had worked there recently.

One thing that stood out about the tales of the adventures Westerners had there, was the difference in outlook and mores.

An IBM Systems Programmer told me of seeing a wallet lying on the ground for example, and he was careful to give it a very wide berth and keep on walking, and everyone else was doing the same.

"You do not want to pick it up to turn it in to the Police lest you be thought to be stealing. You can get into serious trouble picking up something that someone else dropped. The best thing to do is to ignore it".

Someone else told me of getting into a car accident and he was blamed for it because "You are a foreigner, and if you had never come here the accident would not have happened, therefore it is your fault".
Oh yeah, I've heard plenty of stories about how shit it is for foreigners in SA. I'd never go there. But likewise, I've also heard plenty of stories from visitors/workers of individual Sauds who are okay with westerners indulging in their 'infidel ways' as long as it is in private. It's as hypocritical as fuck, but that's SA all over.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:A good rebuttal and dissection of Stefunny's defence of Greg's broken ladybrains here (not that Steffy's silly-arse inanities needed that much rebuttal in the first place): http://debunkingdenialism.com/2012/07/2 ... le-brains/
I was hoping someone would debunk that silliness properly. This does it very well.

Wikipedia actually do a good job on the term itself. As I have said before, I don't like extremist positions. The term should not be used to demonize people.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I spend a lot of time on the front patio with a laptop and consequently see wild life from time to time.

So, I just had another bear encounter. This time with two male bears.

- Small male bear panting hard just went running by me. I could have reached out and touched him as he went past.
- I run inside, grab camera, out onto the deck, and just miss the shot because he is into the woods.
- Open the door to go back outside on the patio again, and larger bear goes charging by!
- Run back to the deck and miss the shot again!

This time I am not going to chase them into the woods to get pictures because :

- This is a bear on bear conflict situation, much larger bear vs much smaller bear.
- They are moving too fast for me to keep up, especially in the woods.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:A good rebuttal and dissection of Stefunny's defence of Greg's broken ladybrains here (not that Steffy's silly-arse inanities needed that much rebuttal in the first place): http://debunkingdenialism.com/2012/07/2 ... le-brains/
I was hoping someone would debunk that silliness properly. This does it very well.

Wikipedia actually do a good job on the term itself. As I have said before, I don't like extremist positions. The term should not be used to demonize people.
Greg Laden is like an ultra-pinko inversion of General Jack D Ripper: 'Testosterone. It's everywhere. Poisoning my precious bodily fluids.'

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

AndrewV69 wrote:I spend a lot of time on the front patio with a laptop and consequently see wild life from time to time.

So, I just had another bear encounter. This time with two male bears.

- Small male bear panting hard just went running by me. I could have reached out and touched him as he went past.
- I run inside, grab camera, out onto the deck, and just miss the shot because he is into the woods.
- Open the door to go back outside on the patio again, and larger bear goes charging by!
- Run back to the deck and miss the shot again!

This time I am not going to chase them into the woods to get pictures because :

- This is a bear on bear conflict situation, much larger bear vs much smaller bear.
- They are moving too fast for me to keep up, especially in the woods.
I did not know you were into bears. I had no idea.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

That awkward moment when the internet catches Greg Laden...in an awkward moment:
http://10000birds.com/wp-content/upload ... _Falls.jpg
:lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dilurk wrote: I was hoping someone would debunk that silliness properly. This does it very well.

Aye.

I stayed out because even as a layman I know enough to recognize moronic misrepresentations. I really was cringing in embarrassment for Stephunny and Bin Laden.

Breathtaking, stupidity on display. All they had to do was check the literature, which is freely and widely available.

And please do not tell my that Stefunny checked the science first. That makes it really bad, either she really did not understand what she was reading, or she triedd to spin what sshe did.

Either way, to paraphrase someone else, this was an embed head in desk moment. The only hope Stefunny has to recover credibility is to amend her blog entry and retract her stupidity.

In other news :

http://debunkingdenialism.com/2012/07/2 ... omment-903
julian July 22, 2012 at 20:32

sigh

So I honestly could have boiled down your entire blog post to “MISANDRY!!!!!” and *insert stuff no one argued* without losing a damn thing.
I got tears of mirth in the corners of my eyes. Well done Julian!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dilurk wrote: I did not know you were into bears. I had no idea.
Haha!

There are lots of black bears around, they are pretty safe as long as you do not feed them.

A Grizzly on the other hand ...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

How much Myers makes from SB has gone down a lot since he stopped posting there. But even posting nothing of substance, Myers makes an order of magnitude more than I do, with him coasting on Google hits, and me putting time and effort into educational posts. Damn straight Im pissed, for personal reasons (makes about as much as I do as a grad student for doing NOTHING. PISSED OFF.), and because he is leeching off NatGeo (if he hates NatGeo so much, why doesnt he LEAVE?).

Also, conference organizers pay part (if not all,depends on the size of the group, budget, etc) of travel expenses, as well as hotel and some food/liquor, etc. My decision to only do local conferences is an issue of time, not money.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Random video break:

[youtube]tMgmYutL9W0[/youtube]

I don't know why I keep visiting this video. It has to be her attitude and smile. Infectious.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Skeeve wrote:Random video break:

I don't know why I keep visiting this video. It has to be her attitude and smile. Infectious.
Super cute :-D

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Funny if you look at the expression on the faces of the girls behind her. The impression I get is They Are Not Amused.
ERV wrote:
Skeeve wrote:Random video break:

Super cute :-D

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

AndrewV69 wrote:Funny if you look at the expression on the faces of the girls behind her. The impression I get is They Are Not Amused.
Nah! Theyre just kids, probably scared/intimidated and trying to do their job as 'professionally' as possible :)

Im amazed so many of the ladies have their hair in long, high pony-tails. Wind resistance and such-- I would have my hair pulled back into a low tight chignon. Of course, I would also fall flat on my face trying to get over the first hurdle, so probably best not to take my advice...

Sister Chromatid

Post by Sister Chromatid »

I think conferences should invite Abbie to speaking events to keep the freethought bullies (and their manufactured controversies) away. I'm pretty sure Rebecca didn't speak at TAM because TAM didn't pay her expenses as they usually do because she wasn't a speaker. Plus she wouldn't get the automatic goodies that speakers get like being at the Speaker's diner. Moreover, Miranda did get all these goodies which, no doubt, makes Rebecca seethe. Ophelia was looking for a reason to bow out because she didn't know what to talk about and she knew that she wouldn't be popular at TAM based on how they treated DJ. And she used the Harriet Hall t-shirt as "evidence" that it was good she didn't go there (sour grapes). The conference clearly was safe and free of sexual harassment if the worst thing they could bitch over was Harriet's t-shirt!

As a speaker at TAM, whiny Amy didn't have to pay for her expenses and she got to sell her "jewelery" without paying the booth fees. She needs TAM more than TAM needs her. I'm sure she sells more jewelery at TAM than she sells the rest of the year. As the skepchicks and FTBullies were all patting themselves on the back for bringing women to TAM, they conveniently ignored how their unsupported allegations about some vague "sexual harassment" WAS keeping people away. Future conferences will be looking for subtle ways to keep them away, and I think that inviting their enemies to speak will turn out to be key. PZ has publicly declared he won't go to any conference where Abbie is speaking.

(I also think PZ didn't go to TAM because he wasn't a speaker. He only goes to conferences where somebody else is paying his way.)

franc

Post by franc »

Digression: blues is not dead

[youtube]xPs1Ocwy1z8[/youtube]

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Sister Chromatid wrote:I think conferences should invite Abbie to speaking events to keep the freethought bullies (and their manufactured controversies) away.
Abbie, if you were in PA, I'd recommend you as a speaker for the upcoming PA atheist/humanist conference (http://www.panonbelievers.org/2012/07/1 ... onference/). Due to limited funding, organizers are looking to round up the speaker list with Pennsylvanians (and, after all, it is a PA conference). Sharon Hill and I (both Pennsylvanians) will be speaking so far...also included, as non-Pennsylvanians, are Dan Barker, David Silverman, and Herb Silverman.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

justinvacula wrote:
Sister Chromatid wrote:I think conferences should invite Abbie to speaking events to keep the freethought bullies (and their manufactured controversies) away.
Abbie, if you were in PA, I'd recommend you as a speaker for the upcoming PA atheist/humanist conference (http://www.panonbelievers.org/2012/07/1 ... onference/). Due to limited funding, organizers are looking to round up the speaker list with Pennsylvanians (and, after all, it is a PA conference). Sharon Hill and I (both Pennsylvanians) will be speaking so far...also included, as non-Pennsylvanians, are Dan Barker, David Silverman, and Herb Silverman.
Some of the best virologists in the country are in Philly and Pittsburgh :) You dont need me to come talk about viruses or vaccines :)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote: Nah! Theyre just kids, probably scared/intimidated and trying to do their job as 'professionally' as possible :)

Im amazed so many of the ladies have their hair in long, high pony-tails. Wind resistance and such-- I would have my hair pulled back into a low tight chignon. Of course, I would also fall flat on my face trying to get over the first hurdle, so probably best not to take my advice...
You are probably right, I am much better at reading animals than human. I withdraw my interpretation.

As for the display of hair, I have a half probably malformed formed theory involving displays of femaleness and possibly the "long, high pony-tails" is an attempt to say "I am a girly girl, not a lesbian.

I could be wrong. Would not be the first time.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

justinvacula wrote:
Or you people may just have to learn how to swim for a long time and come to Europe.

Wait, actualy, I will have to talk to some people...

Post by Guest »

ERV wrote: Some of the best virologists in the country are in Philly and Pittsburgh :) You dont need me to come talk about viruses or vaccines :)
But you are the only virologist who serves as an inoculation against FTBullies.

Evan

Re: Penis-bearing woman Munkhaus.

Post by Evan »

Munkhaus wrote: I'm going to rename the package manager from pacman to pacwoman, and "just listen to the pacwomenz!"

Code: Select all

[root@liberty evan]# alias pacwoman="echo 'Just listen to the pacwomenz'\! ; pacman"
[root@liberty evan]# pacwoman -Syu
Just listen to the pacwomenz!
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 evan-custom is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
[root@liberty evan]# 
AndrewV69 wrote:Heh! Gratz!

As for myself I have lost count on the number of distros I have run, I have to say that I can not recall having any issues with any of them except for finding Gentoo a bit irritating (emerge this!).

Been running Ubuntu for the last couple of years, and I have no reason to switch, and no I am not using the Unity desktop.
If it works for you, that's great. I won't try to evangelize (no pun intended) regarding Arch, but odds are that someone else on the Internet will. :) I started with Mandrake Linux back in 2003, then experimented with Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and others that I never installed before I settled on Arch the past five years. I had a detour back to Windows in 2004-2006 back when I was convinced as a conservative Christian that I needed Windows-only "accountability software" to make sure I didn't look at porn, :roll: but those days of Christian sex-negativity are fortunately far behind me now.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AndrewV69 wrote:
You are probably right, I am much better at reading animals than human. I withdraw my interpretation.

As for the display of hair, I have a half probably malformed formed theory involving displays of femaleness and possibly the "long, high pony-tails" is an attempt to say "I am a girly girl, not a lesbian.

I could be wrong. Would not be the first time.
Quoting myself is so lame but I thought I would expand a bit. When I am looking for a SexyFunTime I swing by one of the watering holes close to last call.

By then the girls who have "lost" the competition for their preference are now looking around, but still mostly ignoring the men who have been trying to land them all night.

All I do is put myself in line of sight of those girls who are still advertising like Jenneke, and wait for an offer from one of her rivals. As I am not as fussy as I used to be before I retired, I usually take the first offer, although I did turn one down recently.

There are a whole lot more feral females on the prowl than I remember as a young lad. While I have no cause to complain, I doubt that this is a good thing for society on the whole.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

ERV wrote: Some of the best virologists in the country are in Philly and Pittsburgh :) You dont need me to come talk about viruses or vaccines :)
Yo Philly wassup!
[quote="Evan"]
Munkhaus wrote: I'm going to rename the package manager from pacman to pacwoman, and "just listen to the pacwomenz!"

[root@liberty evan]# alias pacwoman="echo 'Just listen to the pacwomenz'\! ; pacman"
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 there is nothing to do
[root@liberty evan]# 
[/quote]

Haha. Nice one Evan!
But people want to know what's in that evan-custom repo?
Personally, I went from Ubuntu to Suse to Gentoo to yo mamas cooz. (with some strange fish along the way, like Kororaaa!). Been with Arch for many a year now... no need to change.

Evan

Post by Evan »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Unrelated news: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... -colorado/

WTF is wrong these days?!?
Toxic culture.

I am not surprised actually, I expect the frequency of this sort of thing to increase, and if anything I am grateful it has not occurred more often.

I was not alone in my initial supposition:
http://www.halfsigma.com/2012/07/aurora ... ooter.html

Here is one side of the equation:
The demise of guys.
http://apocalypsecometh.com/the-demise-of-guys/

Here is someone else who has noticed what I see:
The Most Troubling Part of the James Holmes Story
https://dissention.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... mes-story/

Part of the puzzle:
MISANDRY – Gender Politics and Raising Boys
http://www.genderratic.com/p/1739/misan ... -children/

Israel & the UK

Study: Journal of Public Economics 92 (2008) 2083–2105
Do gender stereotypes reduce girls' or boys' human capital outcomes?
http://economics.huji.ac.il/facultye/la ... otypes.pdf

Study: London School of Economics Centre for Economic Performance
Students' Perceptions of Teacher Biases: Experimental Economics in Schools
http://cee.lse.ac.uk/ceedps/ceedp133.pdf

I do not see this type of thing as an "isolated" incident. I am not surprised, I believe there will be more to come.
At the risk of providing fuel for FtBullies, I have been looking through these links and seriously wondering why I have not mentally snapped in this way. I fit the profile: white male, college-educated, introverted, shy, socially awkward (although I have made progress over the past few years), preferring to spend significant amounts of time with screens rather than people, historically inept (until recently) with finding romantic love and sex. When I heard of Columbine and other mass shootings since then, I always think to myself that if some events in my life had gone differently or some neurons misfired, then it could have been me committing those violent crimes. (I say this as someone who has no desire or motivation to harm anyone or myself.)

I was not previously aware of the concept of "beta male rage," but I am researching it now. I probably have some residual beta male rage that I may need to process constructively and non-violently offline, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone in what I have experienced (or not experienced).

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

It is decreed - Rape will no longer be tolerated as suitable subject for humour.

http://i.imgur.com/HKvSX.jpg

Are you listening all you enablers???!!!.... :x

You know I wish PZ et al (who apparently represent me and my kind) would just hurry up and publish an INDEX of forbidden words, phrases, t-shirts, foods and political parties. It'd make the Glorious Peoples Revolution of Freeethought go down a lot easier.

Oh, hello everyone.

I had to register because I, too, think FTB is turning into a car wreck. Ideologically it's seemingly gone round the fucking bend and there's only so much grace you can extend to people who are ostensibly on your 'team'. It's not all bad - but the demagoguery on display combined with sycophantic followers who aren't happy unless their opinions are formed for them......puke. Anyway...

What the buggery bollocks is with the CAPTCHA at this place?

http://i.imgur.com/9cjJ4.jpg

:shock:

That's way too hard for 11pm. Bring back fuzzy words.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

John Loftus
I now consider PZ Myers to be a scourge upon atheism. He's a divisive, uncaring, mean-spirited, power hungry, greedy person. If you wonder why atheism is in disarray at the present moment it's largely because of him.
I certainly agree that PZ Barnum is a scourge, but his effect on atheism as a whole is quite minimal. If Dawkins was acting like him, perhaps that would have an effect, but PZ's effect is nowhere near as noticeable as some make out. You have to remember that away from FfTB, ERV, the conference scene, etc. this ongoing shit-throwing from the Baboons is underground. The vast majority of atheists/skeptics are oblivious to it all, or are not bothered by the Baboon's crusade. Then, even with regard to those who follow atheism/skepticism closely, the criticism and calling out of FTB just gets louders and more clearer. This "tiff" will not stop the growth of atheism in the West or elsewhere. I mean, as if PZ fucking Myers has that kind of pull.

So while I agree with Loftus on Peezus, atheism and skepticism are in good health. Just read Novella's report about TAM2012.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Woodbine wrote:It is decreed - Rape will no longer be tolerated as suitable subject for humour.

http://i.imgur.com/HKvSX.jpg

Are you listening all you enablers???!!!.... :x
The very same PZ who allows the baboons to repeat bot-like variations on 'go fuck yourself with a porcupine' meme, even though he would no doubt balk at saying anything like that to someone he knew had been anally raped.

May he who is without sin cast the first baboon-turd, and all that.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

I remember Pappa from the Richard Dawkins forum. Good to see he's still bringing the funny.

I'm of the mind that jokes about any topic can be funny, like last week, Louis CK was making Holocaust and rape jokes on the Daily Show and Jon Stewart is Jewish. Jon didn't seem to mind, because Louis CK was never serious about Jew-murder and Pappa is not seriously advocating the rape of Skepchicks. Anyone with a mental age older than 5 could have figured that out, and if you did figure it, but you are still angry, well then, no one gives a fuck that you're offended.

AndrewV69

Re: Penis-bearing woman Munkhaus.

Post by AndrewV69 »

Evan wrote: If it works for you, that's great. I won't try to evangelize (no pun intended) regarding Arch, but odds are that someone else on the Internet will. :)
Good, because it would do you no good at all. :mrgreen: It has been a long while since my idea of a good time for a week end was to install and play with 4-5 different distros, or sending a passionate email at 4:20 AM because I was flaming mad about an error that I could only fix by editing a make file.
Evan wrote: I started with Mandrake Linux back in 2003, then experimented with Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and others that I never installed before I settled on Arch the past five years.
Slackware 1.1.2 back in 1994. I only installed Mosiac because I wanted to use SATAN (Security Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks) which I see is still available here: http://www.porcupine.org/satan/
Evan wrote: I had a detour back to Windows in 2004-2006 back when I was convinced as a conservative Christian that I needed Windows-only "accountability software" to make sure I didn't look at porn, :roll: but those days of Christian sex-negativity are fortunately far behind me now.
LMAO. In those days looking at porn using Windows/IE was a pretty good way to catch an online STD. I also vaguely recall someone engaged in a project to make Linux "Christian friendly" by renaming daemons to something else. No recollection on how that worked out so I had a look around and found this:

http://ichthux.com/
Ichthux is an operating system aimed at Christian users. It is based on Kubuntu in order to provide the best desktop environment of the moment, together with Christian programs and settings.
Looks like it has not been updated in awhile though: ichthux-desktop for K/Ubuntu 9.10 Submitted by superfly on Tue, 2009-11-10 05:45

Oh well, whatever turns your crank and gets you through life I suppose, just as long as it does not scare the horses or bother anyone but yourself is fine by me

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

StueNever wrote:Anyone with a mental age older than 5 could have figured that out, and if you did figure it, but you are still angry, well then, no one gives a fuck that you're offended.
Well, there you are. The key words there are "mental age older than 5". Most of the Baboons fail that particular test.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

StueNever wrote:I remember Pappa from the Richard Dawkins forum. Good to see he's still bringing the funny.

I'm of the mind that jokes about any topic can be funny, like last week, Louis CK was making Holocaust and rape jokes on the Daily Show and Jon Stewart is Jewish. Jon didn't seem to mind, because Louis CK was never serious about Jew-murder and Pappa is not seriously advocating the rape of Skepchicks. Anyone with a mental age older than 5 could have figured that out, and if you did figure it, but you are still angry, well then, no one gives a fuck that you're offended.
Read a post on Tosh (or Tosh 2.0) and his rape joke/comment - and the poster brought up the fact that a lot of humor is funny because it is something no one wants to do (or at least, no one in their right mind). Thus, holocaust jokes, rape jokes, cannibalism jokes, etc - all are funny (to someone, obviously). Granted, I'm sure that guy could have said "Who wants to have sex with a Skepchick" and it would be just as funny. :twisted:

As a related aside, I love the way the baboons have used Carlin as someone to respect (I remember reading some comments/posts with that in recent times), yet look at what Carlin made jokes about (and the language he used). [youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ERV wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Funny if you look at the expression on the faces of the girls behind her. The impression I get is They Are Not Amused.
Nah! Theyre just kids, probably scared/intimidated and trying to do their job as 'professionally' as possible :)

I have no idea what a chignon is: is it anything like a Croydon facelift?

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
StueNever wrote:Anyone with a mental age older than 5 could have figured that out, and if you did figure it, but you are still angry, well then, no one gives a fuck that you're offended.
Well, there you are. The key words there are "mental age older than 5". Most of the Baboons fail that particular test.
Just the next target of the upcoming millions.

Who will be next? :o

http://www.mrcapetown.co.za/wp-content/ ... 9145_n.jpg

No one is safe!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Woodbine wrote:
What the buggery bollocks is with the CAPTCHA at this place?

http://i.imgur.com/9cjJ4.jpg

:shock:

That's way too hard for 11pm. Bring back fuzzy words.
No - I'm seeing no spambot registrations at present, where I was seeing 5-7 a day prior to putting the questions in place.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Well, crap, that didn't work. Ah well, follow the URL. There is also his "pissing off the feminists" bit up there as well (the "cupcake, who wants to cook me dinner and give me a blow job" bit).

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Guest wrote:But you are the only virologist who serves as an inoculation against FTBullies.
She's also our only hope in finding a cure for ReGretaVirus, which I think I catch more often than the common cold. :shock:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh, FFS. When FfTB stops being funny for a while and descends into toxic twuntery: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-406747
Martin Wagner
22 July 2012 at 6:01 pm

Is there any way that anyone knows of to find out “Pappa”‘s actual identity? For general public safety’s sake, this information ought to be out there. People may want to know if he’s in their area, or what public events or functions he might be attending. For one thing, it would be useful in finding out if he’s on a sex offender registry. Not saying that people who make rape jokes have necessarily done it for real, but after shit like what went down in Aurora, let’s say I’m more willing to err on the side of caution when dealing with potential hazardous people in my community.

Evan

Post by Evan »

Munkhaus wrote:
Evan wrote:

core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 there is nothing to do
[root@liberty evan]# 
Haha. Nice one Evan!
But people want to know what's in that evan-custom repo?
Personally, I went from Ubuntu to Suse to Gentoo to yo mamas cooz. (with some strange fish along the way, like Kororaaa!). Been with Arch for many a year now... no need to change.
I am glad that you asked. :)

My custom repository (located on my Sheevaplug running Arch Linux ARM) contains cower, gufw, and sheepshaver-cvs from the AUR, plus a few custom packages that make administering six Arch systems easier for me. One package contains custom scripts and other files that I want on all my systems. When one system boots up, it will automatically run pacman pacwoman -Syu --noconfirm and e-mail me the results. I realize that the developers do not recommend updating blindly like that, but it's worked well for me 99.9% of the time. I also have a custom desktop meta-package for all the programs I want on all my desktop systems, a custom laptop meta-package for all the programs I want on my laptop systems, and a custom wallpaper package featuring photos of family members and other graphics worth using as wallpaper.
AndrewV69 wrote:LMAO. In those days looking at porn using Windows/IE was a pretty good way to catch an online STD. I also vaguely recall someone engaged in a project to make Linux "Christian friendly" by renaming daemons to something else. No recollection on how that worked out so I had a look around and found this:

http://ichthux.com/

Ichthux is an operating system aimed at Christian users. It is based on Kubuntu in order to provide the best desktop environment of the moment, together with Christian programs and settings.

Looks like it has not been updated in awhile though: ichthux-desktop for K/Ubuntu 9.10 Submitted by superfly on Tue, 2009-11-10 05:45

Oh well, whatever turns your crank and gets you through life I suppose, just as long as it does not scare the horses or bother anyone but yourself is fine by me
The safe porn viewing argument was effective for converting my partner from IE to Firefox, then from Windows 7 to Linux.

Oddly enough, I realized that Christianity was no longer valid for me on 2009-12-22, so ichthux must have lost its target market.

Has anyone tried Ubuntu Satanic Edition? Someday I might get around to trying it out in a virtual machine.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Evan wrote: I was not previously aware of the concept of "beta male rage," but I am researching it now. I probably have some residual beta male rage that I may need to process constructively and non-violently offline, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone in what I have experienced (or not experienced).
It is quite clear to me that the majority of men do not "snap" otherwise you would be seeing these kinds of incidents weekly, if not daily.

Why they do not is another question.

Post by Guest »

Martin better publish the identity of atheists who make dead baby jokes too-- who knows if they might eat babies for real!

I suppose it's better that they "out" the people they are actually mad at rather than blaming DJ Grothe, TAM, Abbie, Paula Kirby, and those on their ever growing list of enemies.

(Say, hadn't they better publish the address and so forth of Laden due to his threats? He's clearly not a stable guy and could snap.)

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

Jesus fucking christ.....

Add Death and Violence to the Index of Prohibited Humour.

http://i.imgur.com/QbDqm.jpg

Post by Guest »

Also, skeptics in power must flog those who wear t-shirts saying they feel safe at TAM!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Who-hoo - and now the funny is back: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-406792
I’m still reeling after yesterday’s anxiety attack...
But then Setar, elf chamber sheriff thingy goes on to say:
...this is war, and we can’t be merciful because they won’t ever give us the same consideration.
Best you get that anxiety under control then, eh Setar.

:lol:

Post by Guest »

If James Holmes never made threats on the internet-- should we out all others who never made such threats so Martin Wagner can feel safe? 'Mustn't take any chances! I want the names, photos and identifying informatio of every one who is get a whole bunch of packages delivered to their address!

For people who got upset at Paula for likening the ftbullies to Nazis, they sure have few qualms with likening internet strangers to mass murderers.

Post by Guest »

Julian says a lot of sick things...

I want his full name and address so I can see if he is on any sex registries.