Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote:That "harassment" story from TAM has gone quiet very quickly.

;)
Yep. They tested the waters, found out they weren't going to get away with crying wolf, and slunk away.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:What's with all the wimminz posting here? I'm at a loss about our writings...

(Meaning I really enjoy the Female perspective on this mess...)
I don't understand it either. They say it's the most toxic environment ever here for women. Yet my two X's are undamaged by all the slimy misosoupiginisticness that's supposed to be here. I mean, I haven't been raped, or even harassed, here in the Slimepit yet, WTF is that about!?! Am I in the wrong place?
That's because we are gender traitors. Or maybe it is because we are off the rails? Or maybe it is because we need a remedial course on feminism 101. I'm sure they will think of something.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

And another - er - wimmin - womyn - hell, what is the singular of "wimminz", anyway? - is hereby checking in, with a first post to the undead thread, though I've posted elsewhere in the new Pit in the last few days. Hi guys.

Re the fashion statements issue: I live on an acreage in southern BC, which involves much gardening and dealing with chicken poop. When chasing bears off my back porch or bathing a chicken, I prefer the simple, timeless elegance of jeans and t-shirt, accessorized with gumboots, work-gloves, and floppy wide-brimmed hat. When shopping in town, we tell the menz from the wimminz by checking out the beardz. Those of the menz are (generally) longer.

Happy to be here. :)

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Za-zen wrote:I'm just going to stop reading fftb. They are either generating these bs controversies for blog hits or they are genuinely idealogical woo peddlers, or a combination of both. No matter i'm pretty much done reading their crap, from bloggers and their idiotic fan club commentary. Example below is lykeX on axp who doesn't get to pass his own first step. Not that he would ever fucking see that. Absolutely fucking clueless and blinded by bullshit.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/axp/2012/07 ... ment-63963
I already did give up for the most part. I used to enjoy reading PZs posts about science, I used to enjoy his antitheism posts. Now all I see are rants. But I do not paint all of fftb with the same brush, unlike Natalies claim.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

RebeccaB wrote:And another - er - wimmin - womyn - hell, what is the singular of "wimminz", anyway? - is hereby checking in, with a first post to the undead thread, though I've posted elsewhere in the new Pit in the last few days. Hi guys.

Re the fashion statements issue: I live on an acreage in southern BC, which involves much gardening and dealing with chicken poop. When chasing bears off my back porch or bathing a chicken, I prefer the simple, timeless elegance of jeans and t-shirt, accessorized with gumboots, work-gloves, and floppy wide-brimmed hat. When shopping in town, we tell the menz from the wimminz by checking out the beardz. Those of the menz are (generally) longer.

jeans and t-shirt is my standard high fashion outfit, it's the most practical for gardening. It's also typical geek wear, and you are right. That's how you tell menz geeks from wimminz geeks since we both have long hair, you check out the beardz.

Welcome!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

RebeccaB wrote:And another - er - wimmin - womyn - hell, what is the singular of "wimminz", anyway? - is hereby checking in, with a first post to the undead thread, though I've posted elsewhere in the new Pit in the last few days. Hi guys.

Welcome Rebecca!

This community gets bigger by the day. A quick start to a brand-new forum.

windy

Post by windy »

Dilurk wrote: jeans and t-shirt is my standard high fashion outfit, it's the most practical for gardening. It's also typical geek wear, and you are right. That's how you tell menz geeks from wimminz geeks since we both have long hair, you check out the beardz.
Same for biologists (at least for many of the gumboot wearing type). But occasionally I put on women's clothing (and hang around in bars).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Apparently Ed Clint is "a genuwhine slimepitter."

Did anyone notice him sign up here?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

windy wrote:
Dilurk wrote: jeans and t-shirt is my standard high fashion outfit, it's the most practical for gardening. It's also typical geek wear, and you are right. That's how you tell menz geeks from wimminz geeks since we both have long hair, you check out the beardz.
Same for biologists (at least for many of the gumboot wearing type). But occasionally I put on women's clothing (and hang around in bars).
Next thing you know you will be asking for a cheese shop.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Lsuoma wrote:Apparently Ed Clint is "a genuwhine slimepitter."

Who is Ed Clint? Or will Google tell me?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

This Ed Clint?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk, I thought for a minute that it was because I am a Stepford Wife and therefore oblivious to it all, but then I remembered that I don't have a husband. :)

RebeccaB, with weather that gets so cold sometimes in the winter, a beard would probably be very useful providing insulation under the layers of frostbite-temperature scarves.

At the risk of getting into the habit of posting not only far too many smilies, but youtubes too, with almost every post I make, the beard thing made me HAVE to embed this here funny song about Canada (and beards).

[youtube]5ZUF_vJdMb8[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

RebeccaB - you mean something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5T89jfJoA

I notice that no one has picked up on Julian's character failings, nor addressed whether telling someone to commit suicide is worse that asking whether someone is single, on that axpergers site.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

What I really meant was - [youtube][/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bugger. I didn't mean that, either. It was Gimli discussing dwarf women and beards.

Never mind.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Ugh, I just had to follow your link to see what you were talking about. Now I wish I hadn't.
Ed Clint also says Paula Kirby’s “Sisterhood of the Oppressed” was a fair and reasonable document. Calling people Nazis is OK when it is carefully justified.
PZ does love to lie and distort to fit his political narrative doesn't he?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Skeeve wrote:

Who is Ed Clint? Or will Google tell me?
He's the guy who did the freethoughtblahgs site, IIRC, or so the Baboollies are saying.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

KiwiInOz, inside the youtube tags, just put in the part of the url that comes after the "watch?v=", but before any "?playlist" or "?featured" stuff that some of them also have.

Lsuoma, Stefunny is claiming that someone secretly revealed it to her. It would be funny if it turned out he wasn't the one who did it after all.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Skeeve wrote:This Ed Clint?
Ed Clint has not, to my knowledge, ever commented on ERV. I dont know that he even reads ERV. He contacted me a long time ago about coming to speak to their secular student group, but I dont travel, I offered to do a Skype, didnt pan out, havent heard from him since.

Of course Ive got his back now.

So, once again Abbie has the student leaders back, while Myers et ass are on the prowl trying to get them damn kids to shut up and learn their place. Dragged out in front of their friends for a whoopin so they dont act up again, and their friends are too scared to ever mouth off.

Why, exactly, are these people calling themselves 'leaders' and 'mentors'?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

I think Jean Kazez's latest post is very topical. http://kazez.blogspot.ca/2012/07/what-is-feminism.html
So why the resistance to calling Brave a feminist movie? I'm shocked, really not so happy, to find hostility toward the word "feminism" in my own house. At my kids' age, or actually a year younger, I organized an event on feminism at my junior high! I've been a feminist forever. What is it about the word that turns the young folk off? I can only take my interrogations so far (teenagers, who needs 'em?), so this is speculation, but I think kids today take for granted everything we were fighting for back when I was their age. Of course women can be doctors, lawyers, newscasters (remember when all the anchormen were men?), athletes, soldiers. They can do anything they want, and should get equal pay for equal work, etc. etc. So the substance of feminism is obvious and uncontroversial. The problem, then, is ... what?
A feminist is someone who insists on the word "women" instead of "girls", or tries to outlaw innocent fun like calling people "bitches" or "pussies". A feminist (in the negative sense) is constantly making a mountain out of a molehill. A feminist is against sex, or something, so allying yourself with feminism is unsexy.
Read the entire thing... I think she has hit the hammer with the nail.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Scented Nectar wrote:KiwiInOz, inside the youtube tags, just put in the part of the url that comes after the "watch?v=", but before any "?playlist" or "?featured" stuff that some of them also have.

Lsuoma, Stefunny is claiming that someone secretly revealed it to her. It would be funny if it turned out he wasn't the one who did it after all.
Well, not really, considering the penchant they have for attacking people IRL and trying to get them fired, smeared on twitter, etc - if this guy had nothing to do with it, they'll crucify him over their delusions. That won't stop them, though. Who needs evidence when you have revelation?

In other news, Nanny Phee-Phee posted on Harriet Hall's t-shirt. Guess what someone posted is true - it has "I'm a skeptic, not a "skepchick", not a "woman skeptic", just a skeptic" (comma's mine).

She (Pheelie) says it all - "I don't understand this. I don't understand people."

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. That's the problem. Recognizing it is the first step.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Scented Nectar wrote:Lsuoma, Stefunny is claiming that someone secretly revealed it to her. It would be funny if it turned out he wasn't the one who did it after all.
For the record, I dont care who made it.

But we have two possible outcomes, now.

1-- Ed didnt make it, and is being defamed and attacked for no goddamned reason because FfTBullies have the critical thinking skills of a paper clip. Not paper clips, a paper clip. All of them. Combined.

2-- Ed DID make it, went to extreme lengths to hide his identity because he was afraid of FtBullies, and their reaction ENTIRELY justifies his fears. FfTBullies out an anon commentor and encouraged/participated in harassment for no other reason than that the commentor humorously and light heartedly disagreed with them.

Theyre fucking JACKASSES.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

ERV wrote:
Skeeve wrote:This Ed Clint?
Ed Clint has not, to my knowledge, ever commented on ERV. I dont know that he even reads ERV. He contacted me a long time ago about coming to speak to their secular student group, but I dont travel, I offered to do a Skype, didnt pan out, havent heard from him since.

Of course Ive got his back now.

So, once again Abbie has the student leaders back, while Myers et ass are on the prowl trying to get them damn kids to shut up and learn their place. Dragged out in front of their friends for a whoopin so they dont act up again, and their friends are too scared to ever mouth off.

Why, exactly, are these people calling themselves 'leaders' and 'mentors'?
Another witch hunt. pathetic. Sorry you have to deal with these waste of a good supernova Abbie.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The response to the FreeThoughtBlaghs site reveals a community of baboon bullies who are seriously on the defensive - their morale is low and their arguments looking decidedly war-torn. They now can't handle somebody obviously taking the piss out of them. They are losing, we are winning.

They were hoping TAM would be a disaster. In fact, it was the opposite. Just look at the #TAM2012 hashtag apart from the obvious Baboon muckspreaders who were attempting to invent a "harassment story", and invent a false reaction to Pamela's speech. Everybody had a great time, including inside the bar! Horror of Horrors!!! :o

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Badger3k wrote:She (Pheelie) says it all - "I don't understand this. I don't understand people."
Opheliar doesn't "understand" anything or anyone she disagrees with. When a woman (or gender-traitor as her posters would call them) disagrees with her, so throws the mother of all hissy fits.

Parge

Post by Parge »

CommanderTuvok wrote:They are losing, we are winning.
It's not a competition. It's not even a fair fight.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Trigger warning for corny joke!

A waiter asks Watson what her favourite wine is. She says "Guuuyysss....don't do that......."

Badumpbump

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I love the fact that Randi increasingly looks like a wizard.

:D

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I think its fun how Svan/Myers/Christinas magical ethereal spirit guides send them AMAZING information like screen-caps from peoples facebook walls, identities of anon commentors, identities of website creators, etc. Normal ghosts speak to loved ones and tell relatives not to fight over inheritances, or at least try to find missing kids. But even FfTB spirit guides are fucking pathetic losers. There is nothing about them that doesnt have 'LOSER' written all over it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Myers has amended his post on Freethoughtblahgs, saying that Ed Clint now* denies having anything to do with the site, and that he guesses he'll just have to accept his word**

Not that Myers can resist an additional dig by saying that Clint thought Paula Kirby's Sisterhood document was fair and reasonable blah blah nazis blah blah.

*Hmmm. Spot the very obvious passive-aggressive implication there.

**Well frankly, PZ, you've accepted the word of less trustworthy *coughwatsoncough* sources, haven't you!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

If they are following spirit guides, they should consider that those guides may be mean spirited. :)

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

I don't care who made http://www.freethoughtblahgs.com/, I think it's well observed and funny...and evolving, there's more stuff now than when I first looked.

Evan

Post by Evan »

ERV wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Lsuoma, Stefunny is claiming that someone secretly revealed it to her. It would be funny if it turned out he wasn't the one who did it after all.
For the record, I dont care who made it.

But we have two possible outcomes, now.

1-- Ed didnt make it, and is being defamed and attacked for no goddamned reason because FfTBullies have the critical thinking skills of a paper clip. Not paper clips, a paper clip. All of them. Combined.

2-- Ed DID make it, went to extreme lengths to hide his identity because he was afraid of FtBullies, and their reaction ENTIRELY justifies his fears. FfTBullies out an anon commentor and encouraged/participated in harassment for no other reason than that the commentor humorously and light heartedly disagreed with them.

Theyre fucking JACKASSES.
Why would they want to pin it on Ed Clint? Doing some Googling cyberstalking led me to these references:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... at-stupid/ which references https://twitter.com/eclint/status/154427032300826624
EdClintTweet1.jpg
2012-01-03 Ed Clint reply to Greta tweet
(31.51 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
http://freethoughtblogs.com/wwjtd/2012/ ... ith-panel/ - Ed Clint corrects JT's interpretation of Ed's comments on a panel:
Edward Clint says:
February 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I did not say “interfaith is not the time to criticize faith” because interfaith isnt a “time”. It is, among another things, a class of activities with a circumscribed purpose or purposes. That purpose can be criticizing faith, but not all the time every time. When you want to accomplish a service project, the project is not about anyone’s faith, what your favourite football team is, what school you go to, or anything else. It isnt about you, at all. If anyone thinks that, religious or not, I would not work with them.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... 11/simoti/ - Ophelia gets out the fainting couch since Ed Clint wrote a Facebook post that she didn't like, and (gasp) Abbie Smith commented on it!
What is it this time? Some guy called Ed Clint did a snide Facebook post about feminists always thinking people are telling them to shut up when really it’s just a matter of polite disagreement, linking to a post of Jen McCreight’s. Abbie Smith made a considerably more snide comment on Ed Clint’s post.

‎*newsflash* Watsons LIFE is fucking around on the internet. Thats all she does. Jen is well on her way to being in the same position. It is pointless to ask them to ‘shut up’ because bitching on the internet is *literally* all they have in their lives. Normal, sane humans with real lives, yes, we should pick and choose our battles carefully. Obviously. But this isnt an issue of asking a normal person to be more tactful. Youre talking to a loser-at-life and expecting them to react like a normal person. Be pragmatic. And dont fucking grow up to be a loser.

Jen did a post responding to what Abbie said. There was discussion - a lot of discussion. Ed Clint did another snide FB post, Abbie copied in a comment she’d posted on her blog.
Greta had some kind words for Ed last year: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2011/ ... onference/
2. Ed Clint’s talk on “transfaith” — the alternative he’s proposing to “interfaith” — and on whether an atheist organization can be confrontational and still work with religious organizations. His conclusion: Yes. It’s not always easy, but it can definitely be done. The thing I liked best about Ed’s talk was that he didn’t just put his opinion out there as an opinion. He backed it up with solid evidence. His own group, the Illini Secular Student Alliance, has engaged in some very confrontational atheist activism — as just one example, they were the initiators of the “Everybody Draw Muhammad Day” event that so many non-confrontationalist atheists were so vehemently opposed to. And yet they’ve been very successful in forging bridges with campus religious groups… including with the campus Muslim group, who the atheist group is now on excellent terms with. So this whole idea that confrontational activism is inevitably and irrevocably divisive needs to be put to rest. (I also like the idea of “transfaith”: a lot of atheists, myself included, are entirely in favor of atheist groups building relationships with religious groups, but have a strong reaction against the word “interfaith,” since it implies that atheism is a faith. The word “transfaith” seems like a workable compromise. We just need to get the interfaith alliances to go along with it.)
Ed also begged Angry Skeptic Woman for mercy.
EdClintTweet2.jpg
2012-01-06 Ed Clint tweet to AngrySkepchick
(19.33 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Update: I typed too late.
Tigzy wrote:Myers has amended his post on Freethoughtblahgs, saying that Ed Clint now* denies having anything to do with the site, and that he guesses he'll just have to accept his word**

Not that Myers can resist an additional dig by saying that Clint thought Paula Kirby's Sisterhood document was fair and reasonable blah blah nazis blah blah.

**Well frankly, PZ, you've accepted the word of less trustworthy *coughwatsoncough* sources, haven't you!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Ed is having to come out and publicly deny responsibility for the parody blog! Because funny fucking witch hunt van and her "reliable nameless sources" fucking accused him on her blog! And her moron headless chickens took the line and ran with it. Steffunny said it therefore it must be true. Fucking assholes.

Wasn't it steffunyy zannex who started the whole fucking chinese whispers smear campaign about men they didn't want to be allowed to speak at conferences? Citing anecdotal stories which had to remain confidental about sexual harrassment from prominent speakers, "the list" and all that dirty smearing without evidence which can't be challenged because a wymyn said it, and to question the veracity makes you a rape apologist.

Staff savan is a gossip spreading vindictive power humgry nutjob.

If you want to know the author, I suggest you look closer to home, snark is like a signature, it wasn't me, and i don't know who wrote it. But the clues are there.

astrokid.nj

Re: Jean Kazez's reclaiming feminism

Post by astrokid.nj »

Its totally nauseating watching feminist spin doctors.
  • Oh..All those feminists are the bad types, we are the good ones. BTW.. Here's the new definition of feminism.
  • Oh..That third-wave feminism is the one giving us a bad name, but we second wavers are the good ones.
  • Oh..See all these good things women have now? feminism achieved that (No mention of all the corresponding damage to other groups. How ethical is it to do good to one group while harming other groups?) Focus only on the good outcomes.. dont look at the negative outcomes. Remind you of how religion does the same thing? "Oh.. it gives people hope in their worst of times".
  • When confronted with some of the specific injustices they have done over the decades to men, *crickets*..just ignore, turn in a new direction and spew more of the same.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote: He's the guy who did the freethoughtblahgs site, IIRC, or so the Baboollies are saying.
I was wrong with this assertion, for which I relied on what was posted at FfTB*.

Sincere apologies to Ed if I caused any problems for him.

I should have known better...

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Evan - this was 'Pheelie?

"‎*newsflash* Watsons LIFE is fucking around on the internet. Thats all she does. Jen is well on her way to being in the same position. It is pointless to ask them to ‘shut up’ because bitching on the internet is *literally* all they have in their lives. Normal, sane humans with real lives,"

Which is pretty much the problem. I'd definitely disagree with the last part I quoted - normal humans don't live online professionally (unless you're in IT, I guess). Normal humans get out, get dirty, interact with different people throughout the day - in person. Living one step removed through a monitor has to have some effect on the thought processes, on your basic humanity and connectedness to people. At least, that's my surmise based on just my observation, and I may be completely off my rocker on that. I need to try some research this summer and see if it has been looked at. If anyone knows of anything off hand, I'd appreciate anything you have (more than just a google search, that is - I can do that much).

re: Kazez - at least no one there (so far) brought up "Feminism 101" - as when Dr Dr Dr Massimo did (I hope he was just using that as shorthand for a beginner's class, not that website that the FftBullies hold up like the Bible).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Ed Clint?
I assumed that this was an attempt at puerile humour:
ED CLINT
Looks almost exactly like "VAGINA"

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Parge wrote:It's not a competition. It's not even a fair fight.
It is a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.

Evan

Post by Evan »

Badger3k wrote:Evan - this was 'Pheelie?

"‎*newsflash* Watsons LIFE is fucking around on the internet. Thats all she does. Jen is well on her way to being in the same position. It is pointless to ask them to ‘shut up’ because bitching on the internet is *literally* all they have in their lives. Normal, sane humans with real lives,"
No, that is Ophelia allegedly quoting Abbie (ERV). I say allegedly since I have no known means to corroborate these allegations from a known liar.

Here it is in context:
OpheliaQuotesAbbie.jpg
Ophelia (allegedly) quotes Abbie
(59.51 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Badger3k wrote:Which is pretty much the problem. I'd definitely disagree with the last part I quoted - normal humans don't live online professionally (unless you're in IT, I guess). Normal humans get out, get dirty, interact with different people throughout the day - in person. Living one step removed through a monitor has to have some effect on the thought processes, on your basic humanity and connectedness to people. At least, that's my surmise based on just my observation, and I may be completely off my rocker on that. I need to try some research this summer and see if it has been looked at. If anyone knows of anything off hand, I'd appreciate anything you have (more than just a google search, that is - I can do that much).
Here are some links for you:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... -says.html
http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/ ... our-brain/

I admit that the online drama can be addictive, as it was for me last summer during the elevator aftermath. I want to pull away from it, but I keep coming back for more. There is always more content to consume, even though not much of it is constructive for me. A more significant break from all of it may be in my best interest, at least in the short term.
Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: He's the guy who did the freethoughtblahgs site, IIRC, or so the Baboollies are saying.
I was wrong with this assertion, for which I relied on what was posted at FfTB*.

I echo these concerns. I don't want to cause any problem for Ed in what I have posted, and I apologize sincerely if I have. It was not my intention to accuse Ed of anything, only to try to understand why some FfTBers might want to blame him for FreethoughtBLAHgs.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tigzy wrote:Myers has amended his post on Freethoughtblahgs, saying that Ed Clint now* denies having anything to do with the site, and that he guesses he'll just have to accept his word**

Why am I getting deja vu? The Coffee Loving Skeptic incident? The Greg Laden incident? Incidents where PZ has put out all the distractions in a bid to hide the fact that he was wrong. The size of his fucking ego knows no bounds. :evil:

Michael K Gray

freethoughtblahgs

Post by Michael K Gray »

As for the identity of the author if that brilliantly detailed and minutely observed parody site, I'm wielding Occam's Razor here, and plumping for the most likely source: the ghost of Victor Ivanoff.
Fuck me, he's got access to Steve Jobs, Grace Hopper, Ada Lovelace and even Alan Turing!

Case closed.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Tuvok:
The response to the FreeThoughtBlaghs site reveals a community of baboon bullies who are seriously on the defensive - their morale is low and their arguments looking decidedly war-torn. They now can't handle somebody obviously taking the piss out of them. They are losing, we are winning.
Sanity is winning. We are just a snarky little corner of the interwebs that gets up FtB noses. It's the establishment that's shoving the simians back into the sack now because they've had it with being splatted with faeces, but I somehow don't think that they see us as allies.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I'd love to know who Stefunny's reliable secret source is. :lol:

Thing is, can you trust anything that comes out of the Baboon's vocal sphincter? NO.

Re: the snark being a clue. I presume this refers to the Queen of Snark, Rebecca Twitson? There is no way Queen Bee has the talent or patience to create such a thing.

franc

Post by franc »

Git wrote:
Tigzy wrote:And now Myers has chimed in on FreethoughtBLAHgs: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... king-hard/
If one cannot take the utter piss out of oneself then a) one is a sanctimonious git, and b) one should not take the piss out of other people.
To recycle Soterdijk for the nth time -
"How much truth is contained in something can be best determined by making it thoroughly laughable and then watching to see how much joking around it can take. For truth is a matter that can withstand mockery, that is freshened by any ironic gesture directed at it. Whatever cannot withstand satire is false."

This is not a new observation - it is merely Solterdijk's reiteration of a Cynic maxim that is 2,500 years old. The Cynics are our kin - whether you like it or not. You folks are direct descendants of the dogs. Woof.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Those dastardly communists, the British, want to make access to research publications free - http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-te ... 226aw.html - and not free market.

About bloody time.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

:lol: - I keep seeing the babboon reactions to freethoughblaghs, and I just can't help but think, 'Scotty, you just don't get it, do you...'

Case in point:
StarStuff, an uppity feminist
16 July 2012 at 7:08 pm

Most of the stuff at that site is actually really boring and barely readable.
Okay, Starstuff. Nicely done there.

Then, the next post, approx. half an hour later:
StarStuff, an uppity feminist
16 July 2012 at 7:43 pm

Nope, this person clearly doesn’t hate uterus-havers:
http://www.freethoughtblahgs.com/skepti ... eedy-time/
Clearly taking an interest in and reading this really boring and barely readable site, eh Star?

Priceless. :lol:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:Sanity is winning. We are just a snarky little corner of the interwebs that gets up FtB noses. It's the establishment that's shoving the simians back into the sack now because they've had it with being splatted with faeces, but I somehow don't think that they see us as allies.
Yes, I know the movement is now fighting back against the insanity that is the FC5, but for a LONG TIME, it was us (the David) against FfTB (the Goliath). We stood up to them when the movement stayed quiet. We documented their hypocrisy, their lies, their bullying, etc. while a lot of people had their backs turned. I think Abbie, ERV and the Slyme Pitters deserve some applause. I accept some of our allies don't like our methods and language, but we were the vanguard. Don't forget that.

Let's hear it for ERV, Abbie and The Slyme Pit!!! :D :D :D

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

As a gentle detour, a stunningly concise guide to marketing and manipulation.
“People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions, and help them throw rocks at their enemies.”
I don't know the source of the quote. Worth more than a thousand seminars and explains the appeal of the more popular "isms" doing the rounds.

franc

Post by franc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
More Women Have Rape Fantasies Than Previously Thought

March 28, 2011 by Heartiste

https://heartiste.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... y-thought/
One Rape, Please (to Go)
I Paid a Male Whore to Rape Me Because I Wanted To

Original article posted on jezebel - they weenied and purged it from their site.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

astrokid.nj wrote:Its totally nauseating watching feminist spin doctors.
  • Oh..All those feminists are the bad types, we are the good ones. BTW.. Here's the new definition of feminism.
Which is exactly what I've been trying to tell you, the term 'feminist' has now been so polluted with so many definitions of feminism it has become worthless to describe any philosophy at all. I think Jean shows the stinking worthlessness of the term feminist very well, though she was trying to
[*]Oh..That third-wave feminism is the one giving us a bad name, but we second wavers are the good ones.
Second wavers burned their boob burqas, third wavers whine about men being rapists
[*]Oh..See all these good things women have now? feminism achieved that (No mention of all the corresponding damage to other groups. How ethical is it to do good to one group while harming other groups?) Focus only on the good outcomes.. dont look at the negative outcomes. Remind you of how religion does the same thing? "Oh.. it gives people hope in their worst of times".

false analogy. Again, at one time there is no way in hell women were allowed to become medical doctors, early feminism was just about asking for a chance to do so, and to do so without ribald comments. That's all. I agree with you that asking for anything more is offensive to those of us who have worked our socks off developing a career, and then seeing us being insulted by being called gender traitors and the like. I believe Blu has given up on trying to resurrect the term feminist, and is identifying as a humanist. Some of us older types (I include Jean here) have been trying to cling to the old equal but different use of the term feminist, but it sure isn't working out too well. Oh well.
[*]When confronted with some of the specific injustices they have done over the decades to men, *crickets*..just ignore, turn in a new direction and spew more of the same. [/list]
Not all of us, don't generalise. I don't care who you are if you can do the job, and I expect the same respect out of anyone else. That's all. That is why perhaps humanist is a better term for this philosophy, we are humans first, what parts you have only matters in deciding what toys to bring to bed.

Evan

Post by Evan »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:Sanity is winning. We are just a snarky little corner of the interwebs that gets up FtB noses. It's the establishment that's shoving the simians back into the sack now because they've had it with being splatted with faeces, but I somehow don't think that they see us as allies.
Yes, I know the movement is now fighting back against the insanity that is the FC5, but for a LONG TIME, it was us (the David) against FfTB (the Goliath). We stood up to them when the movement stayed quiet. We documented their hypocrisy, their lies, their bullying, etc. while a lot of people had their backs turned. I think Abbie, ERV and the Slyme Pitters deserve some applause. I accept some of our allies don't like our methods and language, but we were the vanguard. Don't forget that.

Hear, hear! :D

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Dilurk wrote:
astrokid.nj wrote:Its totally nauseating watching feminist spin doctors.
Which is exactly what I've been trying to tell you, the term 'feminist' has now been so polluted with so many definitions of feminism it has become worthless to describe any philosophy at all. I think Jean shows the stinking worthlessness of the term feminist very well, though she was trying to salvage the term.
Arghhhhh! Left out a few words.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

franc wrote:This is not a new observation - it is merely Solterdijk's reiteration of a Cynic maxim that is 2,500 years old. The Cynics are our kin - whether you like it or not. You folks are direct descendants of the dogs. Woof.
CommanderTuvok wrote:Yes, I know the movement is now fighting back against the insanity that is the FC5, but for a LONG TIME, it was us (the David) against FfTB (the Goliath). We stood up to them when the movement stayed quiet. We documented their hypocrisy, their lies, their bullying, etc. while a lot of people had their backs turned. I think Abbie, ERV and the Slyme Pitters deserve some applause. I accept some of our allies don't like our methods and language, but we were the vanguard. Don't forget that.

I very much doubt that we are done yet but, woof, woof to Franc and Diogenes both!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Evan wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:

Please include franc, without franc I would not be here.
Hear, hear! :D
Yes, thank you Abbie for all you have done and were able to do.

rayshul ie

Post by rayshul ie »

Yay for the Slimepit.

Also:
Dilurk wrote:I think Jean Kazez's latest post is very topical. http://kazez.blogspot.ca/2012/07/what-is-feminism.html
A feminist is someone who insists on the word "women" instead of "girls", or tries to outlaw innocent fun like calling people "bitches" or "pussies". A feminist (in the negative sense) is constantly making a mountain out of a molehill. A feminist is against sex, or something, so allying yourself with feminism is unsexy.
Read the entire thing... I think she has hit the hammer with the nail.
I think her kids have grown up in a world where they come in with the basic view that women and men are pretty equal. I think that's a good thing. Feminism is getting eaten up by wider things like humanism, where you can recognise the rights of women *and* the rights of men. I don't think it's because it's not cool, it's because feminism (at least the second wave kind) has evolved to a kind of mainstream norm-ness. In almost all areas the fight's been won, huzzar. I think when it does come down to serious issues people frame often them as human rights issues now (abortion, women's healthcare, etc).

Also I think there's an awareness now that feminism hasn't been great to young men, really - while it's been all women can do anything! it hasn't really also pushed the idea that men can do anything! too.

Re: the movie, I reckon if her kids identify with the main character it's because she has pressures put on her by her parents - not necessarily what those pressures are. The How To Train Your Dragon movie had a protagonist being pressured to be all HARDCORE like his daddy (although the entire society was pretty hardcore) and if it wasn't for the society surrounds, that *could* be a feminist story too - about a boy deciding against following the push to be a warrior and instead taking up being a dragon whisperer.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Evan wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Evan - this was 'Pheelie?

No, that is Ophelia allegedly quoting Abbie (ERV). I say allegedly since I have no known means to corroborate these allegations from a known liar.

Here it is in context:
OpheliaQuotesAbbie.jpg
Badger3k wrote:Which is pretty much the problem. I'd definitely disagree with the last part I quoted - normal humans don't live online professionally (unless you're in IT, I guess). Normal humans get out, get dirty, interact with different people throughout the day - in person. Living one step removed through a monitor has to have some effect on the thought processes, on your basic humanity and connectedness to people. At least, that's my surmise based on just my observation, and I may be completely off my rocker on that. I need to try some research this summer and see if it has been looked at. If anyone knows of anything off hand, I'd appreciate anything you have (more than just a google search, that is - I can do that much).
Here are some links for you:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... -says.html
http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/ ... our-brain/

I admit that the online drama can be addictive, as it was for me last summer during the elevator aftermath. I want to pull away from it, but I keep coming back for more. There is always more content to consume, even though not much of it is constructive for me. A more significant break from all of it may be in my best interest, at least in the short term.
Lsuoma wrote:

I echo these concerns. I don't want to cause any problem for Ed in what I have posted, and I apologize sincerely if I have. It was not my intention to accuse Ed of anything, only to try to understand why some FfTBers might want to blame him for FreethoughtBLAHgs.
Thanks for the info and the clarification. I used to have a huge problem with forums - I spent hours online in debates (motley politics and religion, but also some RPGs - the games not the weapons), until I realized I was spending way too much time and getting too involved and upset over little shit. I took a few years off, and try to limit myself to just brief comments - but this shit is a bit too much. Still, I have to watch myself - and maybe that's why I can be somewhat detached in my online dealings now (I hope).

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

KiwiInOz wrote:Those dastardly communists, the British, want to make access to research publications free - http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-te ... 226aw.html - and not free market.

About bloody time.
Oh gosh that's awesome. I seem to get my science journalism from bloggers who spend their half their time explaining why science journalism is wrong.

franc

Post by franc »

KiwiInOz wrote:Bugger. I didn't mean that, either. It was Gimli discussing dwarf women and beards.

Never mind.
Not like this -

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5T89jfJoA[/youtube]
Like this -

Code: Select all

[youtube]ip5T89jfJoA[/youtube]
All you need is the Youtube vid ID