Michael K Gray

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Michael K Gray »

Feminist Psychotherapy Class 101
Schedule.
9am Ophelia Benson anti-conditioning

10:20 am Greg Laden The-rapy

12:00-13:30 Seafood Lunch. Harriet Hall 5
Oysters, lobsters, crack-cocaine, white raisins, smegma, mars bars, vegetarian stuff that secretly has loads of pork in it.
14:10 Franc Hoggle Advanced Lobster Classes

Michael K Gray

Re: Speaking francly

Post by Michael K Gray »

franc wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:franc is not a monster — he is a mirror.
Reminds me of a funny song.
Oh, franc!
I shall forever listen to that song a s I have from when I first substituted similar lyrics (1970 something?)
"One tonne of metal"

Git

Post by Git »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Saying "I'm not calling you a nazi... but you're a nazi"

She didn't call anyone a Nazi, she called them Feminazis, a BIG distinction. It is a commonly accepted thing to append nazi to the end of the word and it is understood that it means fanatical and authoritarian. Was Seinfeld accusing anyone of crimes against humanity when he coined the term Soup Nazi? Do you disgree that this is a common device? Please explain why you think that this is not the way Kirby was using the word. She explained that this was her intent, as if it needed explaining. What exactly is WRONG about that? An honest debater would point out those 2 words, and then say "OK, what is the gist of the whole message"
Further to this, Kirby (as I am) is British. In our milieu, as TFJ says, appending "nazi" to something is a standard way of ascribing authoritarian motives to them. Just like calling someone "a little Hitler" or "[hypen]fuhrer" does not imply accusing them of crimes against humanity - it means they're an wannabe-authoritarian tosspot. This usage has been part of the Queen's English since...WW2. Screw Rush Limbaugh, he's hardly known over here at all. What he says is irrelevant, and its bloody annoying for people to claim that he sets the linguistic rules.

Git

Post by Git »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Also, have I forgotten to point out that I'm the Peanut Gallery guy in all this? With the exception of a few music-related forums, I am always the peanut gallery guy. Just wanted to make this clear. I try to be funny, even if I moslty fail. Humour is the best therapy for me, so sorry to impose it on you other posters here...
I also approve of your shoulder cat. Were I try to do the same with either of mine, I'd end up without a shoulder (they're both 12, and over 20lbs in weight)

PZ84119878

Post by PZ84119878 »

You people are vile -

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: using monopod man as one of the "three"

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:one of the reasons that it seems so many guests are lurking, is that one can be logged in, and at the bottom of this thread, show up as a guest. I am a guest right now, and I don't log out, so I am always a guest, but when I post, I'm sacha.
If you're logged in but hidden, you don't show up as a guest to me: I can see hidden users and guests separately.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Lsuoma wrote:…you don't show up as a guest to me: I can see hidden users and guests separately.
Only the Shadow nose…

LMU

Post by LMU »

Michael K Gray wrote: franc is not a monster — he is a mirror.
An honest mirror.
This was my thinking as well.
PZ84119878 wrote: You people are vile
Is that more or less vile than hundreds of rape jokes? Sorry if you are a Poe.

Also I'd like to thank Lsuoma for his work here, because I haven't yet. Thank you!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Toe Dipping

Post by Lsuoma »

Michael K Gray wrote:A few points on my first post:
1] Thank to Lsuoma for investing the enormous ongoing effort into this worthwhile enterprise. You will get 72 raisins in Atheist Heaven.
/me bows..

Thank you, Mr Michael Kingsford Gray Nicholls...

franc

Post by franc »

@MKG - You know, I reckon any kid that has not heard Derek & Clive before they get to high school has irresponsible, uncaring parents. It borders on neglect and child abuse.

Git

Post by Git »

franc wrote:@MKG - You know, I reckon any kid that has not heard Derek & Clive before they get to high school has irresponsible, uncaring parents. It borders on neglect and child abuse.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Lsuoma wrote:If you're logged in but hidden, you don't show up as a guest to me: I can see hidden users and guests separately.
Or, should that more aptly have been:
כַּצִּפֹּור לָנוּד כַּדְּרֹור לָעוּף כֵּן קִֽלְלַת חִנָּם לא
???

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote:@MKG - You know, I reckon any kid that has not heard Derek & Clive before they get to high school has irresponsible, uncaring parents. It borders on neglect and child abuse.
Indeed. Any child that has not literally cried with laughter when Derek says "It shouldn't, but it does! It fucking does, mate! " is indeed neglected, deprived and abused, and the treatment the parents deserve is no less than that Clive meted out to Dolly when she declined to verify photographically his bogie prowess!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Caede, Ashley Miller admitted that she never reported the sexual part of whatever that guy did. Go reread her first article on it. She "thought" that others would report it magically for her, but no one did. That's what she's mad at. Bitch should own her own inactions and not expect others to first read her mind, and then protect her from whatever she's fearing (this one guy asked her for sex repeatedly, which is a valid harassment, provided of course, that she actually told him no right from the start). No one knows if you don't speak up! Miller is a professional victim. She ignored all mentions that she must tell someone if she wanted it listed as a reported harassment incident. Grothe did not lie about none being reported. But as soon as that's mentioned, the feminist nutcases all give excuse after excuse about why they didn't report it. What they won't acknowledge is that it's not reported until it's actually reported! After Ashley made her blog accusations about it, Grothe took her report of it. But it was the first he'd heard of it being a SEXUAL harassment. He didn't know until she was going on and on in an article about how no one did anything, or enough, or something. People were supposed to have read her mind.

Fuck, where's Randi? Cuz if Ashley is to be believed, everyone in charge read her mind but ignored it. The event organizers and security could probably split that million dollars and each come out with a nice sum!

Maybe it's time that feminists remembered that originally, "empowering ourselves" was part of it all. How about stop acting like babies and perpetual victims, and try out this adulthood gig. It's quite nice, you know.

Anyone else notice, and find it interesting, that Myers took down all his old ScienceBlogs comment sections, and was it just before they all went on their tattletale campaign against our comments at ERV? He pretends that he doesn't know how they disappeared, but I think he's lying. He knew full well that his own bestial-raping commentors had many times worse things at his blog. PZ Myers is an Oscar winning weasel.

To redo an old commercial:

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Myers weasel,
That is what I really wish to beeeeeee,
Cuz if I were an Oscar Myers weasel,
Everyone'd be tattled on by me!

I don't know where all this love, among some people here, for Justin comes from. Even though he said a couple of positive things about the SlimePit, he's also admitted to not liking us, as well as admitting his motivation, which seemed to be hopes of mediating/peacemaking in some sort of dreaming of heroism way. At least, that's what I perceived from his articles and comments. Yikes! That's no friend. That's someone who wants to control and direct both sides into whatever the fuck his pipe dream is. Speaking of trying to direct things...

CommanderTuvok, I've noticed that PZ's voice, when talking among his peers and friends, takes on a teacher-like tone. He starts right off in those newer group videos, by taking on the role of directing the conversation. I'm glad he was never a teacher of mine though, since he has the kind of voice that drones and bores. His students must frequently fall asleep. Not only is it a weak voice, but it's almost monotone, and it sounds emotion-less. It sounds like he struggles to give it any semblance of emotion or life at all.

That theskepticsbandcamp song had me until they said Dawkins was a smart guy getting something wrong and called him a dick. Right from my first reading of the infamous Dear Muslima letter to his comments trying to point out that EG was not a little bad being compared to a big bad, but a ZERO bad being compared with real bad, I've been in total agreement. I don't understand why so few people a) didn't comprehend what he said in his 3 EG comments, and b) disagreed with him. Although, those a)s must have caused some of those b)s.
Sacha wrote:Did someone mention angry sex? I love angry sex. There is nothing better for an argument with one's lover.
I'm the opposite. If I'm angry at someone, or if I dislike them, I lose any potential horniness I might have otherwise felt towards them. Any physical attraction dissolves if the personality of the person is one I don't like.

[ intermission for off topic rant ]
I just had such a weird nostalgia. I paused reading this forum and was talking with my roommate about the old 'womyns music', which for a good part of the 80s was the only music I allowed myself. I just listened to 3, all of which were the political/emotional appeal worded feminist stuff I used to listen to. Once I got fully pulled into the radfem separatist extreme of things (by 1982?), I abandoned my beloved punk&new-wave, except for some instances if a woman was the singer. Mostly though, I switched over to the politically approved musicians that played at that Michigan festival and/or whose records were sold at the local women's bookstore, which was also where I got all my reading material. http://www.scentednectar.com/sneerfacto ... sad-04.gif

One of these days, since I gave away my huge collection of 'womyns music' records long ago, I will look up a bunch names and discographies, find what I can on youtube, and then make a video rant about the political lyrics, emotional appeal lyrics, and the peer pressure / general assumption that that was the only REALLY approved music. With a ton of hideous samples. Hideous samples that are giving me the ickiest, weirdest nostalgia. Or maybe I should call these nasty flashbacks! :) This year's festival (ugh, puke) starts August 7th. Maybe I can make that video by then.
[ / off topic intermission ]

PZ84119878, that pic was very funny. :)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

... Mr Michael Kingsford Gray Nicholls...
I see what you did there!
We are no relation.
Well, unless my mum was lying about him.

I am francly surprised that you spied the make of cricket bat.
Very droll. You have now earned 73 white raisins in atheist heaven!

But that IS a genuine Don Bradman signed bat, for what it is worth.
My daughter was wont to pester both Don and his wife, who lived across the street from her Uncle, and would visit him and her joyfully and socially, with nary a skerrick of comprehension of his fame. Just kids visiting kindly grown-ups who'd give 'em cake and pop.
(And thus the Uncle getting him to sign the bat, much against Don's policy. But my daughter (then 7 or so, shyly and slyly convinced the Don to do it for her primary school fund-raiser, to which I had (by lucky hap) purchased the winning ticket.)

Oh, and thanks again Lsuoamaa (or however one spells it) for slaving over this hot stove of love.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Oh, and as for how you recognised the cricket bat in question to be a genuine Gray-Nicholls, (from such a dreadfully degraded image), is beyond chance, and lies in the field of superior perspicacity!
I bow to thy superior knowledge, good sir knight.

caedenotloggedin

Post by caedenotloggedin »

rayshul blargh wrote: I also believe - but might be wrong - that part of Dawkins comment was also inspired by the fact RW blurted out her screed against Stef and rehashed the elevator incident at a conference which featured women discussing their experiences and knowledge of oppression under Islam - but it was the fucking elevator that seemed to get masses of attention. The contrast and complaint had a context.

I'm commenting here without looking back on any of the old posts/thoughts so this could all be misremembered baloney. If it is, sorry folks.
I'm pretty much non-existent on the intrawebs on weekends (4 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog, 3 cats), and there's a lot here to consume and respond to. This really jumped out at me, though, very much because I'll be honest: I had never considered this context for Dawkins's comment, and it really does make what he said a lot more appropriate. I shall ponder over the weekend.

Michael K Gray

Wafting Scented Nectar

Post by Michael K Gray »

I don't know where all this love, among some people here, for Justin comes from
If you mean Sgt Griffith, then I agree.
If you mean otherwise, then I do not agree.
Too many Justins, Johns and Wiberforces for my liking.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

caedenotloggedin wrote:I had never considered this context for Dawkins's comment, and it really does make what he said a lot more appropriate.
You would do well to watch Dawkins' facial expressions throughout Watson's diatribes during their shared presentation.
It is a true eye-opener.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Yes, I meant Griffith, not any of the other Justins. I usually try and put their last name's initial next to 'Justin' but forgot to.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

context for Dawkins's comment,
Of course context! It was also approaching (at the time of his comments, I think.) the campaign Day against Stoning Women to Death that Dawkins was involved in, and everyone was talking about What'son. How could Dawkins *not* be pissed off.

The useful idiots that follow the FfTB narrative don't get to see this though because it is ommited, as in that "unbiased, but FTB are right" timeline that someone linked to.

Michael K Gray

A Whiff of Scent

Post by Michael K Gray »

Scented Nectar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:59 am
Yes, I meant Griffith, not any of the other Justins. I usually try and put their last name's initial next to 'Justin' but forgot to.
Just as long as I may be permitted to spank your botty for having committed this unspeakable bureaucratic crime against the war crime to which you have publicly CONFESSED!
In front of the FfTB proletariat democratic collective alliance of free-thought gender-feminist academics.
How do you plead:
1) Guilty
2) Guilty
Let the botty-spanking commence! (But only if you sign these 470 pages of documents as to EXACTLY how such spanking is to proceed.)
Cardinal Fang! Make her sign!
(No no you fool. I didn't mean for you to calligriphise her blank protest banner, I meant for you to compel her to append her signature to this clearly forged document!)
Oh dear, you just can't get good-evil henchmen these days.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Just delurking to say 'Hi'.

Often I find myself in agreement with PZ. Often I find myself in agreement with many FTB bloggers. Sometimes I find myself in agreement with the baboon squad.

But...

Well, far too often I just get the impression that they're the kind of people Orwell warned us about.

And the Internet Tough Guy attitude that prevails amongst the commentariat is both laughable and tiresome at the same time. 'Fuck you you fucking fucker mysogynist rape-nazi fucker why don't fuck off and die while fucking yourself with a rusty knife blah-blah'. In their efforts to show how Not Meek (tm) they are, I can't help but be reminded of those people who gather enormous quantities of friends and contacts on social networking sites in order to show how Not Unpopular they are.

Anyways, that's my two-pennorth, for the time being.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Munkhaus wrote:...and everyone was talking about What'son. How could Dawkins *not* be pissed off.
The useful idiots that follow the FfTB narrative don't get to see this though because it is ommited, as in that "unbiased, but FTB are right" timeline that someone linked to.
That may be because they are privileged angry spoiled ignorant infantilised insular xenophobic (racist. sexist, ableist, chromosomalist) imperialist exceptionalist know-nothing yanks, perhaps?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Michael K Gray wrote:Oh, and as for how you recognised the cricket bat in question to be a genuine Gray-Nicholls, (from such a dreadfully degraded image), is beyond chance, and lies in the field of superior perspicacity!
I bow to thy superior knowledge, good sir knight.
I was born and grew up in the Garden of England, and so became a huge fan of MCC Cowdrey, "The Umbrella" (Derek Underwood, so called because the captain would bring him along in case of rain), and Alan Knott. The latter was my favourite since I am somewhat restricted in stature myself, and hence my favoured bat was a Slazenger.

Michael K Gray

Tigzy

Post by Michael K Gray »

in order to show how Not Unpopular they are
A vitally cogent observation.
And one that reveals your superiority over them. With superb clarity.
I can see how one might agree to much of the hosts posts posts and indeed to some of the respondents' remarks.
But what I fail to see (as you have so carefully avoided) is how any sane character is able to juggle the outright fraud and lies which must be held in mind when arguing the a-atheist fantasy that many FfTB bloggers and commenters seem to ejaculate with ease.
All for, as you so thoughtfully phrase it, "to show how Not Unpopular they are". Well spotted.
And a Koala Stamp to you. (An award that is not to be sneezed at.)

Heintje

Post by Heintje »

Scented Nectar wrote:That theskepticsbandcamp song had me until they said Dawkins was a smart guy getting something wrong and called him a dick. Right from my first reading of the infamous Dear Muslima letter to his comments trying to point out that EG was not a little bad being compared to a big bad, but a ZERO bad being compared with real bad, I've been in total agreement.
Exactly my sentiment, too. Every time I see someone claiming that Dawkins was wrong in the elevator non-troversy, I felt like tearing my hair off. The guy (I am willing to believe that he existed, and that the event took place more or less as Watson recalled) asked politely and took no for an answer. It made Watson uncomfortable, sure, and she absolutely has that right. However, then the baboons and the baboonlings claimed that that constituted a harassment, even though some women begged to differ. Not all women mind getting propositioned when drunk and/or in elevator. Now, how the fuck was the guy supposed to know to which group Watson belongs without giving it a try? Is he supposed to read mind? "Well, he should have read her body language and the situation better!", they might protest. Yeah, as if that was hard science, and there is only one correct answer for each case.

Despite their pretention to fight for women's causes, their real aim is to force the skeptic/atheist movement to conform to their whim. /end rant

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Lsuoma wrote:…The latter was my favourite since I am somewhat restricted in stature myself, and hence my favoured bat was a Slazenger.
And so was my choice of tennis racket and balls in the 70's
But such was my childish magical impetuosity, when I discovered that "Gray-Nicolls" was a premium brand in that vast cosmopolitan cricketing world of lascivious vice, I just HAD to have one. And it HAD to be signed by Don Bradman.
Either that, or I was going to take my bat and ball home, so there.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

@MKG

Yes, I can't help but think that the identity politics in the US provides a fertile ground for bullshitters. Shouldn't oversimplify and generalise though.

Gurdur links from herehttp://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?b=1229 to an interesting comment from Kirby from last year http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... ent-116920

{How do I make the link just a single word?}

Lastly,
I think it was last year on ERV, whilst attacking Justicar's literalist stance on the "pocket" malarkey, that I stated that I found Franc to be over the top in his condemnation of the Babs. The Orwellian allusions I took to be hyperbolic. I was wrong. He was fucking right!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

franc is not a monster — he is a mirror.
An honest mirror.
Absolutely. And it's difficult for some people to look in the mirror. I suspect most baboons would just shriek and fling poo at a mirror, too.

A couple of funny tweets:

http://twitter.com/ardentatheists/statu ... 5980976128

http://twitter.com/PhilosophyExp/status ... 3453088768

Also ... WHY WONT TEH INTERWEBZ WORK FOR MEEEEE???1!!!?

http://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/status ... 2566667265

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Michael K Gray wrote:And it HAD to be signed by Don Bradman.
Either that, or I was going to take my bat and ball home, so there.
I understand. I hear the Don was pretty good when he was on his game...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Tigzy

Post by Tigzy »

Michael K Gray wrote:
I can see how one might agree to much of the hosts posts posts and indeed to some of the respondents' remarks.
But what I fail to see (as you have so carefully avoided) is how any sane character is able to juggle the outright fraud and lies which must be held in mind when arguing the a-atheist fantasy that many FfTB bloggers and commenters seem to ejaculate with ease.
All for, as you so thoughtfully phrase it, "to show how Not Unpopular they are". Well spotted.
Cheers!

To elaborate - the thing I don't quite get with the degree of vitriol hurled by the baboon squad is this: PZ says that Pharyngula is a rude blog, and that the prevailing attitude amongst the commentariat should be to say it like it is and spare no blushes. Be strong, harsh and robust in your language. Which is fair enough - it's Myers' blog, and if that's how he wants it to be, then good luck to him. However, many commentators have stated that what is said is often for the benefit of lurkers and curious onlookers - that it's not just to ensure that the mistaken commentator knows, in the most robust language possible, just how mistaken they might be; but that any onlookers, whose minds may not be made up yet, are also made aware of just how 'incorrect' the target of the vitriol might be.

So how do they frequently go about this?

'You don't get it.'

'Fucking asshole.'

'Stop. Please stop.'

Alongside variations upon a theme concerning porcupines, assholes, cupcakes and so on (the 'cupcake' thing, by the way, has little relevance outside of Pharyngula itself - it's a kind of a Newspeak insult, IMO; only internally relevant, with a net effect similar to that of being decreed an Operating Thetan by a Scientologist)

In any case, far too often little is done to illuminate precisely where the flaw in the miscreant's argument lies. Which certainly left this particular interested onlooker more certain that the one hurling the invective was more interested in showing how Not Meek they were, rather than addressing the point directly.

It's a bit bloody weird, when it comes down to it.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Barnowl

What does that Whatson tweet say? It's protected. You must be a very special person to be Approved.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

@ Munkhaus - I must be off the radar because I don't have a Twitter account or something. RW's tweet:
"The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now." I REFUSE TO WAIT FOR GAMES TO BE INSTANTEOUSLY DELIVERED TO ME
The only FtB I've commented on is Greta's, on a couple of her fashion posts. Never commented on a Skepchick blog. So I've not been banned. Yet.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael, page 324 of 470 specifies that you must use an erect penis to do the spanking with. Also, on page 418, IIRC, it says the event is to be (choose one) preceded by OR followed by, an elevator ride and some coffee drinking. I'm pretty sure it says that in there. Whoa, page 173 has something important. The erect penis must only be your own or someone else who I have pre-approved of. You know, it's a good thing we have this here Spanking Code of Conduct. Who knows WHAT might have happened!

Heintje, did you see that recent post of PZ's of a cartoon called a feminist fantasy or something like that? It had a woman being offered sex or a date or something like that (I can't remember), her saying no, and him politely accepting her no and leaving her alone. I saw that and was almost screaming through the computer, "PZ you fucking idiot, that feminist fantasy IS EXACTLY WHAT ELEVATORGUY DID!" Not only was it zero bad, as Dawkins said, it was what women have been asking for, for ages. Two freedoms/rights women have validly demanded the rights to, 1), to be allowed to make one's own sexual choices (she was free to choose either yes or no, being an adult who decides her own sexuality), and 2), to have any "no"s accepted without fuss or harassment. Why, why, why is PZ sofa king stupid!

Heintje

Post by Heintje »

Scented Nectar wrote:Heintje, did you see that recent post of PZ's of a cartoon called a feminist fantasy or something like that? It had a woman being offered sex or a date or something like that (I can't remember), her saying no, and him politely accepting her no and leaving her alone. I saw that and was almost screaming through the computer, "PZ you fucking idiot, that feminist fantasy IS EXACTLY WHAT ELEVATORGUY DID!" Not only was it zero bad, as Dawkins said, it was what women have been asking for, for ages. Two freedoms/rights women have validly demanded the rights to, 1), to be allowed to make one's own sexual choices (she was free to choose either yes or no, being an adult who decides her own sexuality), and 2), to have any "no"s accepted without fuss or harassment. Why, why, why is PZ sofa king stupid!
You spoke as if feminism was a monolith, lol. The brand of feminism championed by PZ et al is RW's brand, which simply means: Queen Bee dictates what is right and wrong, and it is subjected to change without prior notice.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Za-zen wrote:I've watched dillahunty go south to the point now where he is absolutely partisan, he's become all buddy buddy with watson/myers et al and thats where he stands. Yeah see the logical fallacy? He doesn't.
This would be Matt "facts don't matter" Dillahunty, wouldn't it.

Dilurk

Re: Tigzy

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Cheers!

To elaborate - the thing I don't quite get with the degree of vitriol hurled by the baboon squad is this: PZ says that Pharyngula is a rude blog, and that the prevailing attitude amongst the commentariat should be to say it like it is and spare no blushes. Be strong, harsh and robust in your language. Which is fair enough - it's Myers' blog, and if that's how he wants it to be, then good luck to him. However, many commentators have stated that what is said is often for the benefit of lurkers and curious onlookers - that it's not just to ensure that the mistaken commentator knows, in the most robust language possible, just how mistaken they might be; but that any onlookers, whose minds may not be made up yet, are also made aware of just how 'incorrect' the target of the vitriol might be.

So how do they frequently go about this?

'You don't get it.'

'Fucking asshole.'

'Stop. Please stop.'

Alongside variations upon a theme concerning porcupines, assholes, cupcakes and so on (the 'cupcake' thing, by the way, has little relevance outside of Pharyngula itself - it's a kind of a Newspeak insult, IMO; only internally relevant, with a net effect similar to that of being decreed an Operating Thetan by a Scientologist)

In any case, far too often little is done to illuminate precisely where the flaw in the miscreant's argument lies. Which certainly left this particular interested onlooker more certain that the one hurling the invective was more interested in showing how Not Meek they were, rather than addressing the point directly.

It's a bit bloody weird, when it comes down to it.
The point of arguing is to see all sides of a question, adults respect differences of opinion.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Thanks to that link to The Ardent Atheist.

More and more people are becoming confident about dissing the Baboons. The Baboons are losing...they are on the wrong side of history.

Post by Guest »

first world problems

They should have sent this to my email, but it got posted instead. Not sure how to fix - first time I've made one of these.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Thanks to that link to The Ardent Atheist.

More and more people are becoming confident about dissing the Baboons. The Baboons are losing...they are on the wrong side of history.
One thing I never liked about baboons is their bright pink and prominent assholes.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Good observations Tigzy! Yes, I hadn't mentioned the "Stop. Please stop.", but I hate that as much as I hate the "privilege" card, or "you don't get it".

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest wrote:first world problems

They should have sent this to my email, but it got posted instead. Not sure how to fix - first time I've made one of these.
Jesus H. Particular Christ on a Crutch! Please give us a warning when posting emetic material...

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Does anyone happen to know who cp and vexorian are at washpost?

Post by Guest »

Lsuoma wrote:

Jesus H. Particular Christ on a Crutch! Please give us a warning when posting emetic material...
Cringing Apologies!!!!!!11!!!!

I should have included the "DANGER - BLUE HAIR" warning

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Cringing Apologies!!!!!!11!!!!

I should have included the "DANGER - BLUE HAIR" warning
That was me (Badger3k) - not sure how I got logged off.

Heintje

Post by Heintje »

Notung wrote:Good observations Tigzy! Yes, I hadn't mentioned the "Stop. Please stop.", but I hate that as much as I hate the "privilege" card, or "you don't get it".
LOL, you are not alone. And, I was damn pissed and disheartened when I saw Rhys Morgan parroting 'you don't get it' mantra on twitter.
An even more annoying version: "You. Just. Don't. Get. It."

Let me add one more to the list: "In other words: <short, ridiculous misrepresentation of the original argument>"

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Heintje wrote:LOL, you are not alone. And, I was damn pissed and disheartened when I saw Rhys Morgan parroting 'you don't get it' mantra on twitter.
An even more annoying version: "You. Just. Don't. Get. It." "
Ah. Poor Rhys. A once promising young skeptic who is now reduced to sucking PZ's cock. Poor lad.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Jean Kazez agrees the bluecollaratheist post was good as well. Not surprised, Jean has been very rational the entire time.

https://twitter.com/JeanKazez/status/224191990324150274

Notung

Post by Notung »

Shorter Heintje: "Bitchez ain't shit."

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

BlueCollarAtheist has a picture of his dog as his logo - always the sign of a smarter cookie.

Expect him to get flamed by the Baboon Bullies.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Just posted at the washpost

A very important article by Jean Kazez should be read by all.

http://www.skepticismandethics.com/2011 ... tones.html

"Our prominent spokespeople are not infallible. We must be careful, in our admiration of them, not to conflate the ethics of the ideas they advocate with what they are as people. Instead, we should strive to hold them, as well as ourselves, to the ethical standards underlying the ideas we are advocating. If we don't, we run the risk of becoming a movement of hypocrites."

Yes, there are definitely misogynists criticising some of the Freethought bloggers and Watson, but there is a growing movement of scpetics, atheists who are criticising these people for their cyber bullying not for sexist reasons. Feminism is hardly a monolith, it is a large and varied movement, to accept only one variety of feminism and be cyber bullied if you do not, is not FreeThought. In fact, the problem of "call out culture" is a well known one in the feminist community, read this link for example

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2 ... rformance/

In short, there is no more of a sexism problem in the atheist community than there is in any other group.

Do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

==
Of course now I notice it wasn't Jean Kazez who wrote it, but it was linked from her. grrrr

Heintje

Post by Heintje »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Ah. Poor Rhys. A once promising young skeptic who is now reduced to sucking PZ's cock. Poor lad.
Hey, if he is into that (literally), there is nothing wrong with that! No thanks for the disturbing imagery though.
Notung wrote:Shorter Heintje: "Bitchez ain't shit."
ROFLMAO

On a more positive note, Skeptical Abyss who has been live-blogging his experience at TAM gave Miranda a glowing review. For Gender Traitors (tm)!
(I know Miranda doesn't want to be associated with the Slymepit, but I hope she doesn't mind being mentioned here)
http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=167

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Heintje wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Ah. Poor Rhys. A once promising young skeptic who is now reduced to sucking PZ's cock. Poor lad.
Hey, if he is into that (literally), there is nothing wrong with that! No thanks for the disturbing imagery though.
It was a metaphor. Alas, I forgot to include a smiley!!!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

From Skeptical Abyss:
9:07 am. The Skepticism And The Humanities Panel. Led by Brian Thompson. Members Amy Davis Roth, Miranda Celeste Hale, Robert Blaskiewicz, Eve Siebert, and Hai-Ting Chinn.

Amy is, of course from Skepchicks, and she mentioned this, to a very small (even minuscule) amount of applause.
I get the feeling the people at TAM are not particulary fond or supportive of the kind of rhetoric we have had out of Skepchick and the FC5. Not surprisingly since they've tried their best at damaging it by throwing around trivial shit in public. The turds.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm really starting to enjoy this place a lot.

I'm also very happy more people are participating in the discussion, especially dissenting voices. There might be resolution yet.

It had to be said!

*insert favorite fart joke here for humorous element*

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Scented Nectar wrote:Heintje, did you see that recent post of PZ's of a cartoon called a feminist fantasy or something like that? It had a woman being offered sex or a date or something like that (I can't remember), her saying no, and him politely accepting her no and leaving her alone. I saw that and was almost screaming through the computer, "PZ you fucking idiot, that feminist fantasy IS EXACTLY WHAT ELEVATORGUY DID!" Not only was it zero bad, as Dawkins said, it was what women have been asking for, for ages. Two freedoms/rights women have validly demanded the rights to, 1), to be allowed to make one's own sexual choices (she was free to choose either yes or no, being an adult who decides her own sexuality), and 2), to have any "no"s accepted without fuss or harassment. Why, why, why is PZ sofa king stupid!
What's being promoted by the FC5 is not feminism (of course). What Watson wanted in the EG incident was to be treated like a Lady. An un-touchable icon of femininity whom no un-introduced out-grouper should dare to accost, no matter how politely. Downright Victorian, or even Medieval.

Of course, she also reserves the right to be a partying 'chick' when it suits her (like one minute before) and everyone (male or gender-traitor) must be able to discern the difference telepathically or face denunciation, shunning etc.. The likes of PeeZus and Laden think they are safe, in spite of their 'pee-pees' and 'testosterone-poisoned brains', because they are in-group. In fact, the second it becomes expedient for Watson, Greta et al to turn on them, it will happen. Moscow Trials are a standard tactic for tyrrants.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

From (http://www.skepticalabyss.com/)*
The Del Mar Lounge is packed with TAM-goers enjoying skeptical conviviality and friendship. The crowd is mostly male, but there are plenty if women there too. I have not noticed any difference in social norms for thing like hugging from previous TAMs. I am beginning to think that the FtB/Skepchick Axis has failed (at least so far) in their scheme/conspiracy to destroy the Jref/TAM and replace them with a more compliant group like CFI. That is a happy revelation.
HERE, HERE!!!!!!

*one of my previous posts mistakingly credits ArdentAtheist.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Michael K Gray wrote:In my not so humble opinion, the poster choosing to label his-self as 'franc' has been unfairly maligned to an alarming extent, from all sides.
Not just 'both' sides, but ALL sides.

franc is not a monster — he is a mirror.
An honest mirror.
That is precisely what makes Franc a monster. He does hold up a mirror, you see yourself in it, and blame Franc while failing to realize that you are looking at yourself. The sicker the person is, the more extreme the reaction. People self-identify themselves that way.

This is very dangerous, especially to those not given to much introspection or reflection. The pure of heart have nothing to fear from him though, because all they see is a kindred soul.

I can not say if this is an innate ability or an intuitive one, but let us take one example of imagery and symbolism that Franc put in his mirror, Baboons!

Anyone who has seen them at a zoo has absolutely no difficulty in making the connection between their behaviour and that exhibited over at pharyngula. So the term has stuck, and is unlikely to go away, because it is more than an insult, it is descriptive.

You can test your knowledge about baboons here:
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wi ... /quiz.html

The bottom line is that whoever hate and fear Franc the most, have a good reason.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

CommanderTuvok wrote:From (http://www.skepticalabyss.com/)*
The Del Mar Lounge is packed with TAM-goers enjoying skeptical conviviality and friendship. The crowd is mostly male, but there are plenty if women there too. I have not noticed any difference in social norms for thing like hugging from previous TAMs. I am beginning to think that the FtB/Skepchick Axis has failed (at least so far) in their scheme/conspiracy to destroy the Jref/TAM and replace them with a more compliant group like CFI. That is a happy revelation.
HERE, HERE!!!!!!

*one of my previous posts mistakingly credits ArdentAtheist.
"Hear, hear!" pretty please?