Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Rebecca Watson vs. Galileo

Post by franc »

Guest wrote:Franc's failure to publically admit and correct his error on this is noted (and deliciously ironic).
This must be the same "guest" that was post bombing about Woolybumblebee's "plagiarism". Inability to use basic editing to trim a followup confirms the brain space.

What error? Watson is an imbecile and a parasite. I expect those that freeload off the community to, at a bare minimum, not be so stupid in such a public manner. To be that much of an arrogant moron as to not even fire up the cesspit of lies to fact check before babbling is on the Jenny McCarthy scale of contemptible.

This is another case of FfTB "Hitler calling the KKK racist", or to get biblical, Matthew 7:3

I always invite folks to point out my errors - but being an asshole, I request they do so in clear english and with clear citation. I refuse to acknowledge whispers and implied guilt. So either speak plainly or fuck off back to your wound licking sewer.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Tigzy »

BarnOwl wrote: Maybe I'm slow today (or just thoroughly pissed off at my department chair and in a state of high dudgeon), but I'm not understanding why Zvan should have any say whatsoever about who attends ScienceOnline. She's not a scientist or a science writer or a science blogger or a science educator. How is it one of her "home conferences"? She doesn't own it or organize it.

I've always wanted to attend a scio meeting (and I've had a science blog for several years), but never can go because the timing falls smack dab in the middle of one of the courses I direct and am primary lecturer for (which can't be changed, like, EVER). Wonder if I'd be similarly shunned or banned if I could attend? I've posted here way more frequently than has Gurdur (and have no regrets, either).
According to her post, she 'ran a session' at last years conference. *shrugs* I have no idea what that entails, so if it gives her some degree of access to the organizers - well, I hope not.

She could quite easily fire off some emails to them anyway, and attempt to go a route similar to what scumbo Laden did as regards Abbie. The baboons have also been known to contact conference organizers to warn them about the people they decree unworthy (I recall a poster here saying something like that had happened to them, but I can't remember who it was, alas.), so I'm hoping that Zvan doesn't make a complete tit of herself in both these respects. My hopes, however, are not great - especially with that fuckin douche Laden insinuating in the post above that Gurdur is in some way involved with the 'core of the slymepit'. Kinda setting him up as a sort of secret evil overlord, like Fu Manchu or Dr Doom, or something. (Jesus, but Laden is a shit. I bet his kid grows up wishing his father were someone else. I also bet that his father is indeed someone else. But anyways...) It looks to me like a preliminary assault by way of insinuation and character attacks has already begun. But again, it may be just blowing off some steam, and with luck, nothing will come of it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

OOOLOOON wrote:Dear Oolon,

Is your name a reference to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds? If so, I love you.

Best regards,
Lt Kojak Slaphead III
Heard recently Wayne is to release an "updated" version, complete with contributions from Gary Barlow.

I'm already worried.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I totes love the fact that prime wankstain Greg Laden is posting on Svan thread moaning about how bad and awful Gurder is. I like his 'anecdote' about how Gurder and a woman were outside smoking in the drizzle. Laden suggests that he was with them, smoking passively (ie he's a non smoker). Laden suggests Gurder was eyeing up the woman, but he does not explain why he would join a pair of smokers outside in the rain unless he himself was, ahem, fond of the woman in question.

Anyway, this is the twat who tries to fiddle with people's employment, and sends threats of violence of people. He is in NO position to lecture anybody.

Needless to say, Svan is his Best Friend Forever.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Granny Weatherwax Ophelia Benson says this:
Oy. Via David Colquhoun on Twitter, I’m reading a PhD thesis on homeopathy and Evidence Based Medicine, one that argues that EBM gets it all wrong. I have learned that homeopathy is not just the dilution – tut tut, that’s just silly – it’s dilution that gets dynamized. You didn’t know that, did you. Scientistic bastards.
My emphasis:

--OY? What, A+Theism is now going on a rampage of linguistic looting, too?

--BASTARDS? Oh dear, Ophelia, that is terribly sexist. If you must use a gendered insult, at least make it inclusive of all: try "bastards and bitches", maybe.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Yes, he does use this “Talking in private” thing, that’s funny. We’ve had a few oddball conversations like that. He’s convinced that he is clever.
Why am I thinking of the "backchannel". Strange they have such an aversion to talking in private whenever it concerns them and not one of their enemies.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Prime Wanstain:
I also recall that he needed to video each of the talks he was at using a flip and a half baked tripod, and was in the way a bit.
I notice the Baboons have this phobia of cameras and tripods. Fucking shitstains.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Granny Weatherwax Ophelia Benson says this:
Oy. Via David Colquhoun on Twitter, I’m reading a PhD thesis on homeopathy and Evidence Based Medicine, one that argues that EBM gets it all wrong. I have learned that homeopathy is not just the dilution – tut tut, that’s just silly – it’s dilution that gets dynamized. You didn’t know that, did you. Scientistic bastards.
My emphasis:

--BASTARDS? Oh dear, Ophelia, that is terribly sexist. If you must use a gendered insult, at least make it inclusive of all: try "bastards and bitches", maybe.
Oh, Ophelia, you sneaky bitch. This is the phrase from the PhD thesis which she quotes in her post:
One might draw an analogy with the relationship between a cake and the cake-mixture. To argue that cake-mixture is a delicious complement to tea because cake is, is clearly to neglect that cake is cooked cake-mixture. And so, to argue that homeopathic treatments are not effective medicines because high dilutions are not, is to neglect that homeopathic treatments are dynamized high dilutions.
That is most of one paragraph. Here's the rest:
While cooking clearly turns cake- mixture into a delicious complement to tea, it is controversial whether dynamization really does turn high dilutions into effective medicines.
Again: you sneaky bitch, Ophelia. What a terribly unethical cunt you are.

Cunt.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

MEA CULPA

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Granny Weatherwax Ophelia Benson says this:
My emphasis:

Oh, Ophelia, you sneaky bitch. This is the phrase from the PhD thesis which she quotes in her post:
One might draw an analogy with the relationship between a cake and the cake-mixture. To argue that cake-mixture is a delicious complement to tea because cake is, is clearly to neglect that cake is cooked cake-mixture. And so, to argue that homeopathic treatments are not effective medicines because high dilutions are not, is to neglect that homeopathic treatments are dynamized high dilutions.
That is most of one paragraph. Here's the rest:
While cooking clearly turns cake- mixture into a delicious complement to tea, it is controversial whether dynamization really does turn high dilutions into effective medicines.
Again: you sneaky bitch, Ophelia. What a terribly unethical cunt you are.

Cunt.
MEA CULPA MEA CULPA MEA CULPA

She DOES quote the whole paragraph in her post. For some reason, she chose to pagebreak her post just before the final quoted sentence.

I have my porcupine, and I know what to do with it.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

BarnOwl wrote:I've always wanted to attend a scio meeting (and I've had a science blog for several years), but never can go because the timing falls smack dab in the middle of one of the courses I direct and am primary lecturer for (which can't be changed, like, EVER). Wonder if I'd be similarly shunned or banned if I could attend? I've posted here way more frequently than has Gurdur (and have no regrets, either).
I expect you'll join the list of bad womenz that are cited everytime someone does something wrong. Given you have srs bsns credentials as a scientist and educator, you could join the leagues of Abbie and Kirby... Just picture it! Your name in second-rate blog blacklists!

I don't even understand what Svan does at all, to be honest.

Also, snerk, Laden, still the most repulsive human on the planet.

franc

Post by franc »

For twits - please retweet this. The appalling religiousdispatches.org propaganda piece needs full disclosure from the author.

Full disclosure please @kat_toth - who or what motivated this propaganda piece? http://t.co/05ZxUPWU @RDispatches #atheismplus
Article - http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... ist_schism_/

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

No. No. NO.

Someone on my twitter feed linked me to this story. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/07/i ... nt-to-end/

Which is a fucking giant wankfest of stupid.

I like this person. I respect 'em. I'm about to bang my head off a wall.

franc

Post by franc »

rayshul wrote:No. No. NO.

Someone on my twitter feed linked me to this story. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/07/i ... nt-to-end/

Point them to the cesspit of lies

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Searching ScienceBlogs recently and I came across this old (2010!!!) Pharyngula thread.
As some of you know, there are a few whiners out there on the internet who have put up a pretense of shock and horror that I do not try to censor free expression in the comments here — you can say what you want, as you want, and the primary sins are a) interfering with the discussion with repetitive, obnoxious spamming, and b) boring me (yes, you could get banned for swearing…if that was all you ever did.)
Amazing how fast things change over there. He's now one of the whiners.

also , ctrl+f cunt and see the names of the posters for extra lolz.

franc

Post by franc »

Post by Guest »

franc wrote:
Guest wrote:Franc's failure to publically admit and correct his error on this is noted (and deliciously ironic).
This must be the same "guest" that was post bombing about Woolybumblebee's "plagiarism". Inability to use basic editing to trim a followup confirms the brain space.

What error? Watson is an imbecile and a parasite.

I always invite folks to point out my errors - but being an asshole, I request they do so in clear english and with clear citation. I refuse to acknowledge whispers and implied guilt. So either speak plainly or fuck off back to your wound licking sewer.
OK, let's sum up:

1. Franc, amongst others, lambasts Watson for her stupidity & failure to do basic fact-checking RE: Galileo, and her refusal to correct herself when called on it (specifically, her refusal for a number of weeks). Also, he criticizes her habit of meeting all attempts at correction with abuse.

2. Steersman repeats a claim from Skepchick that it was corrected "within minutes".

3. Franc flies off into an extensive tirade about how stupid Steersman is, how he's gullible and fails at basic fact-checking in the same way that Watson did, and how he's just another baboon.

4. Evidence is brought to light (in the form of a screencap of a tweet from Watson's Twitter feed time stamped on the same day as the offending video) that she did in fact make a (half-assed) correction by annotating the video "within minutes" (or at least a few hours). There's discussion about how the misunderstanding arose from the annotation not showing up in some browsers.

5. Rather than admitting and correcting his error (see clause 1 about her multi-week refusal to correct herself), Franc ignores it and becomes abusive.

I don't like FfTBlogs or A+Theism any more than the regulars here, and I fully agree on the "baboon" definition. But Franc, you're out-babooning the baboons.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Place a tripod ever so slightly in Greg Laden's way and he'll still be thinking about it months or possibly years later.

franc

Post by franc »

Guest wrote:OK, let's sum up:

1. Franc, amongst others, lambasts Watson for her stupidity & failure to do basic fact-checking RE: Galileo, and her refusal to correct herself when called on it (specifically, her refusal for a number of weeks). Also, he criticizes her habit of meeting all attempts at correction with abuse.
Because she is stupid - bag of ball bearings stupid. I don't know what accounts for "education" where you come from, but here most 15 year olds would have spotted the Galileo nonsense without looking anything up.
2. Steersman repeats a claim from Skepchick that it was corrected "within minutes".
Citing Skepchick is like citing Weekly World News. Aside from being propaganda mill for engineered reality, they love their anecdotes for concrete evidence. Citing Skepchick as fact for anything is the mark of a failed intellect.
3. Franc flies off into an extensive tirade about how stupid Steersman is, how he's gullible and fails at basic fact-checking in the same way that Watson did, and how he's just another baboon.
A perfectly valid observation about a cripple that refuses to help himself and expects to be spoon-fed. Not the only one to state this.
4. Evidence is brought to light (in the form of a screencap of a tweet from Watson's Twitter feed time stamped on the same day as the offending video) that she did in fact make a (half-assed) correction by annotating the video "within minutes" (or at least a few hours). There's discussion about how the misunderstanding arose from the annotation not showing up in some browsers.
Which excuses Watson's idiocy I suppose. Apologetics as artform - this is FfTB's forte. Unreal. It's like stealing someone's wallet is OK because you didn't rob their whole house. Watson' is an airhead and a moron - the time is really irrelevant.
5. Rather than admitting and correcting his error (see clause 1 about her multi-week refusal to correct herself), Franc ignores it and becomes abusive.
Again, Hitler calling the KKK racist. Awesome - these are the biggest charges against me that you asshats can come up with in a year's worth of vicious slander and personal attack. Versus a Grand Canyon's worth of malfeasance, deception, corruption, fraud and even outright criminality none of the vermin at A+, FTB or Skepchick have any answer to. A chipped fingernail versus a decapitation. You morons are not part of my species - I find it impossible to even comprehend how your minds can lie to themselves to this extent without complete implosion.
I don't like FfTBlogs or A+Theism any more than the regulars here, and I fully agree on the "baboon" definition. But Franc, you're out-babooning the baboons.
Says the chickenshit writing as "guest". Your opinion is irrelevant. Your skewering of Woolybumblee and demands that we lynch her failed to conclude as planned - I noticed your mute silence once she stated her case. Now your clutching at straws here. There is no cowardice like the faux moralist that lives their life as a moral and ethical bankrupt nitpicking trivia in others as anaesthetic to their own vileness. Is this really the best you can come up with you snivelling coward?

Post by Guest »

franc wrote:

Because she is stupid - bag of ball bearings stupid. I don't know what accounts for "education" where you come from, but here most 15 year olds would have spotted the Galileo nonsense without looking anything up.
Citing Skepchick is like citing Weekly World News. Aside from being propaganda mill for engineered reality, they love their anecdotes for concrete evidence. Citing Skepchick as fact for anything is the mark of a failed intellect.
A perfectly valid observation about a cripple that refuses to help himself and expects to be spoon-fed. Not the only one to state this.
Which excuses Watson's idiocy I suppose. Apologetics as artform - this is FfTB's forte. Unreal. It's like stealing someone's wallet is OK because you didn't rob their whole house. Watson' is an airhead and a moron - the time is really irrelevant.
Again, Hitler calling the KKK racist. Awesome - these are the biggest charges against me that you asshats can come up with in a year's worth of vicious slander and personal attack. Versus a Grand Canyon's worth of malfeasance, deception, corruption, fraud and even outright criminality none of the vermin at A+, FTB or Skepchick have any answer to. A chipped fingernail versus a decapitation. You morons are not part of my species - I find it impossible to even comprehend how your minds can lie to themselves to this extent without complete implosion.
Says the chickenshit writing as "guest". Your opinion is irrelevant. Your skewering of Woolybumblee and demands that we lynch her failed to conclude as planned - I noticed your mute silence once she stated her case. Now your clutching at straws here. There is no cowardice like the faux moralist that lives their life as a moral and ethical bankrupt nitpicking trivia in others as anaesthetic to their own vileness. Is this really the best you can come up with you snivelling coward?
I think I'll just let that stand for itself. You, the baboons... identical in every respect other than the directions in which you point your e-penises. Good luck with that.

franc

Post by franc »

Guest wrote:I think I'll just let that stand for itself. You, the baboons... identical in every respect other than the directions in which you point your e-penises. Good luck with that.
a) still a moron that's incapable of editing a follow-up and just blockquote dumps
b) still an anonymous chickenshit blow-in that thinks their opinion matters
c) the desperation of this being the best you can actually come up with to criticise with

Yes, it stands. You encapsulate the vacuity of the Watsonista.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

oolon wrote:But then it seems a lot from your end state that people need thick skins on the internet to fend off all the trolls so why not lump Nerd, Ing etc in there as insulting entities that can be dismissed since they add no substance to the argument? Or in Nerd-style... That which adds nothing to the debate can *POOF* be dismissed as irrelevant. (I'm surprised Josh hasn't called Nerd out on the egregious use of a gay slur yet)
You're getting a bit in coherent there buddy. First off, I occasionally post here and I don't agree with that "people need to get thicker skin on the internet" and I think it's a bullshit argument. I know some people on slymepit think that way and they can think whatever they want I just don't agree with them. So, quit thinking that everyone here has the same opinion; this is not A+ forums although it sure as hell the design looks a bit like it.

Regarding Nerd and the rest, he/she was the first person I added to my kill file because I got pissed of wasting time reading the boring and repetitive stuff that he/she posts. And then it started to bother me why the hell the rest of people find his/her output so amazing.

Johann the Cabbie

Post by Johann the Cabbie »

Paul Elam has challenged me to a debate.
@ Johann the Cabbie. Neither one of you show any ability to be rational where it concerns AVfM, at all. Neither one of you have any support for your claims. However, either one or both of you are invited to debate me publicly on the subject of jury nullification or any other matter you think is "sick" about me, or AVfM generally speaking. 

It just amazes me what passes for rational thought these days.

The good news is that you can always tell the intellectual cowards when they hide from their ideas being publicly vetted. Oh do, let the excuses fly. Tell me how you won't stoop to debating me, or some other disguised bullshit.

But in case you want to ante up I will provide you a moderated debate platform, live at BTR, with a significant audience and equal time in a fair venue.  paul@avoiceformen.com
I responded that I don't do public speaking, but I'd be happy to debate him in writing.

http://johannthecabbie.blogspot.nl/2012 ... ipped.html

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

franc wrote:

That you keep mistaking my “she apparently corrected the mistake ... within minutes” as “citing Skepchick as fact” suggests that you are unable to differentiate between those two radically distinct and different statements in terms of meaning, intent and force; that you are the one who is the “failed intellect”, the one who has gone “completely off the rails”. Nietzsche may have said it best, although it seems to be an ancient archetype: “He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster.”
And if more than one person says something that automatically makes it the gospel truth? That you keep characterizing me as a “cripple”, a “peabrain” and the like for simply asking that “outrageous statements be supported by empirical evidence” provides further justification for the argument that you are the one who is the “failed intellect” – not me.
Which excuses Watson's idiocy I suppose. ... Watson' is an airhead and a moron - the time is really irrelevant.
Fuck. What a dickhead. So now the time is “really irrelevant” after calling me a cripple and a peabrain for questioning and challenging your “She did not correct it in minutes - but after a few weeks of laughter ....”? What a fucking joke.
Awesome - these are the biggest charges against me that you asshats can come up with in a year's worth of vicious slander and personal attack. Versus a Grand Canyon's worth of malfeasance, deception, corruption, fraud and even outright criminality none of the vermin at A+, FTB or Skepchick have any answer to. A chipped fingernail versus a decapitation.
Awesome indeed – the closest you’ve come to actually admitting that you made a mistake in calling me a peabrain, a buffoon and cripple. And in insisting, which motivated the former, that Watson did not correct her mistake until weeks after the event. Just a little more integrity franc – you can do it! Not such a big hurdle!

But the point isn’t the “chipped fingernail versus the decapitation” – which might actually be a fair assessment – but that you are apparently unable to acknowledge that chipped fingernail and all its consequences. An inability that raises some serious questions about your other claims and perceptions. Somewhat analogous to individuals such as Francis Collins who can apparently do credible work in some areas in spite of serious blind spots, but whose credibility in others has to be seriously deprecated.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Johann the Cabbie wrote:I responded that I don't do public speaking, but I'd be happy to debate him in writing.

http://johannthecabbie.blogspot.nl/2012 ... ipped.html
Ohh, I'd like to see that.

Johann the Cabbie

Post by Johann the Cabbie »

rayshul wrote:
You will. Paul and I have hashed out details by email. The topic is jury nullification in rape trials. Three exchanges. I go first. Post will be up within a week.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Johann the Cabbie wrote:
rayshul wrote:
You will. Paul and I have hashed out details by email. The topic is jury nullification in rape trials. Three exchanges. I go first. Post will be up within a week.
Brilliant. I thought the jury nullification suggestion was fucked up but I'm interested to see how it's justified. Open to be proven wrong, etc etc.

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Johann the Cabbie wrote: I responded that I don't do public speaking, but I'd be happy to debate him in writing.
Extra trolling points: say you don't want to debate him because you are hesitant to appear in public with the leader of a Hate Group.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

disumbrationist wrote:Searching ScienceBlogs recently and I came across this old (2010!!!) Pharyngula thread.
As some of you know, there are a few whiners out there on the internet who have put up a pretense of shock and horror that I do not try to censor free expression in the comments here — you can say what you want, as you want, and the primary sins are a) interfering with the discussion with repetitive, obnoxious spamming, and b) boring me (yes, you could get banned for swearing…if that was all you ever did.)
Amazing how fast things change over there. He's now one of the whiners.

also , ctrl+f cunt and see the names of the posters for extra lolz.
That's funny, since Liar Myers was claiming that all his old sciblogs comments had disappeared and he didn't know HOW that could EVER happen. Well, PZ you insincere asshole, you obviously changed the setting, knowing full well that you were doing so. Why am I so convinced of that? Well you micro-brained idiot PZ, it's because you've selectively made some comment threads visible again while leaving others hidden. Funny how the 3 ElevatorGate threads are still hidden, eh? You fucking cesspool of deception and phoniness. Trying to memory hole history is vile.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

I just tweeted an excellent article by Maryam Namazie. Then, I thought, I hope the baboons don't give HER shit for something I did (tweeting her article).

So, since the baboons read this forum, I'll say this here. Me and MN do not hang out or converse online. However, I happen to think highly of her articles and opinions. This is not her fault, so in case you're feeling the need to make a drama with her, or demand that she make a declaration against me for being a Slimepitter, don't bother. There's no need. She has not befriended me, so she has not been a traitor to the FfTB State. Just saying.

Also, it's fucking pathetic that I would have to write the above due to being worried someone will get picked on by the baboons just because me, a dissident female atheist, said something nice about someone who also happens to blog at the same domain as the baboons.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Almost forgot. Here's the article that I tweeted. It's about the cartoons as well as cases of imprisonments on blasphemy charges:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamaz ... lie-hebdo/

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

ERV wrote:
rayshul wrote:Wait, an attack on Gurdur? Possibly the most friendly and decent bloke on the internets?

Interestingly I've noticed that he's sudden got a huge rush of followers. :)
I dont know all the details (I dont think he has shared much publicly), but he was also deathly ill.

Attacking the really nice sick guy! YAAAAAAAY FOR STEFFIE!
http://i.imgur.com/PeUT1.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rayshul wrote:No. No. NO.

Marcotte also takes a rather large poke at marvelous blogger Lucy Wainwright (@Whoozley), a person with a razor-sharp mind and deserving of nothing but respect. But oh no, since Wainwright doesn't take the "automatic-victim" stance and criticizes those who do... and posts tweets like "I'm a woman and an atheist blogger, and never experience sexist abuse from fellow atheists. Maybe because I don't assume they're misogynists?"... she's a traitor, who is rewarded with this utter shit: "For selling out other women like this, she is rewarded by so much positive male attention. Fears of rejection are safely silenced for a long time. Granted, she’s getting positive attention from assholes, but sadly, many women don’t realize that there’s an alternative."

Wainwright shits out crazy loons like Marcotte.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

I have to laugh at the accompanying image in that article:
http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... ternet.gif

This, to the skepchick crazies, is the typical male on the internet. Or at least, this is the propaganda they would have everyone believe. You gotta be real damaged to see the world this way.

franc

Post by franc »

Gumby wrote:I have to laugh at the accompanying image in that article:
http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... ternet.gif

This, to the skepchick crazies, is the typical male on the internet. Or at least, this is the propaganda they would have everyone believe. You gotta be real damaged to see the world this way.
Yeah, kinda like crazy islamists that think there is a conspiracy to exterminate islam. Peas in a pod.

sacha

Re: another rant

Post by sacha »

oolon wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
sacha wrote:Steersman:
Do you honestly wonder why you are on numerous "ignore" lists?
...You may as well be a Baboon.
I had hoped that Steersman may have been an effective police presence, pointing out our many logical infractions, our descent into group-think but, alas: no.
Have the FfTB no-one who is able to logically engage with us?
Oolon is a lost cause, a member of the Borg who is fighting a losing battle against his assimilation, and Steersman is just bloody boring and entirely vapid:- never actually making a single substantiated point.
PZ, Beccy, Jen! Send us your best champion, I beg of thee.
The two so far have been abject failures.

We could do with the policing and I, for one, would welcome it.
Quite happy to accept that this place is piss-take central of a bunch of pompous bloggers... But calls for 'policing' the purity of your sceptical thinking while at the same time dismissing a member of your community because they challenge the group-think (albeit in a verbose way) comes across as pompous bullshit and worthy of ridicule as well. Logic, who needs it when it interferes with my hate!
oolon,

You know exactly what was written,
and you are quite clear on the intent.

I know you find it enjoyable when your disingenuous interpretations result in a defensive, or aggressive reaction.

You knew what MKG was referring to when he used the word "policing". What I said was extremely similiar:
I personally welcome someone who is more detached, and has a different perspective than most of us, one who is logical and employs critical thinking when reviewing all of the evidence, but arrives at different conclusions.
You are no stranger to the fact that sceptics must always review their own conclusions with detached perspective, to ensure that they have not accidentally reverted to the default setting of our human brains. One of the best things about discussions with a group of other sceptics, is the fact that we all understand how easy it is to fall victim to a logical fallacy or bias. Often we are able to catch it immediately, while still in the process of coming to a conclusion and "police" ourselves, sometimes we do not see it until we have already made our position known, and will admit to faulty reasoning, dismiss the assertion, and reevaluate. There are other times that even the most dedicated and experienced sceptic fails to recognise personal bias, or faulty logic, and a real sceptic appreciates the correction.
oolon wrote:Policing! I thought you were a free for all freethinking collective, what needs to be policed...
Making an issue out of the use of the word "policing" as if you did not understand the context, is just another time you pretend to misunderstand, and then act as though you have discovered evidence of hypocrisy and wave your deliberate misrepresentation like a flag, in order to lure someone here to react.
oolon wrote:...calls for 'policing' the purity of your sceptical thinking while at the same time dismissing a member of your community because they challenge the group-think...
and again, you are well aware that frustration and annoyance with Steersman has absolutely nothing to do with disagreeing with his conclusions, nor does it have anything to do with a challenging of group-think.

Numerous regulars here have made it perfectly clear that anyone with a different perspective who arrives at much different conclusions would be more than welcome, as long as they are using logic, reason, and critical thinking when reviewing all of the evidence.

I specified "much" different conclusions because you are also being dishonest when you claim to believe that we all think alike. You have not only read through some of the thread, you have been interacting fairly regularly with numerous different people here. You have seen a significant variety of opinion, just in how you are viewed.

There is no question that many of us see the world very differently. One does not need to look far for evidence of that. It is on nearly every page of this thread.

The regulars here have a wide spectrum of views on nearly everything. There are even plenty of opposing opinions on subjects in regards to the FTB/Skepchick/A+ brigade. One example is the never-ending debate about showing them polite consideration or aggressively mocking them - polar opposite views, and everything in between.

Feminism, MRAs, sexism, politics and government, harassment policies, what constitutes a threat and what should be done about it, wanting, planning, or having children, to advocating voluntary human extinction, proud meat-eaters to ethical vegetarians, Bleeding Heart Liberals to Conservatives... Many contentious issues are discussed here with a vast difference in views.

There is constant disagreement on this thread. The reason it is not common knowledge to those who have had no experience here, is that we are able to discuss, debate, disagree, argue, get frustrated, angry, and even throw an insult or two, and then get over it and be friendly, agree about some other topic, and complement each other for articulating something well.
No one turns on each other like Baboons when there is a disagreement. no one forms a pack to bully someone who disagrees, no one threatens to leave, no one claims to be a victim, no one needs to be rescued, no one cries.

We stand by what we say, or we admit a mistake, or we admit we have been shown enough evidence to change our view. Using the phrase "I was wrong" does not kill us. No one moderates content, or admonishes us for our behaviour, or threatens to ban, block, or edit us. There is no hall monitor, there are no forbidden words, we are adults.

Labeling the Slime Pit as a place of "group think" is amusing. If the goal is to offend us, or to use our accusations against us to try and show hypocrisy, at least come up with something that isn't so easy to disprove.

oolon,
That was for others who may be reading this. It was already well known to you.

By interacting here, you are able to be the centre of attention at FTB, and by being a regular there, you have a captive audience, in both places

The manufactured misunderstandings and accusations, and even the "polite" questions and commentary in your discussions here, are nothing but an over the top, contrived performance with the intent to antagonise, entice, and engage.

You love the game.
It also may be what is keeping PZ from banning you.

The thing is, you don't bother me at all. I think it is great that you post in both places, and I hope it continues. I give you credit for having the balls to be here under the name you use at FTB. You came here to see for yourself, even if you arrived with the intent of confirming what the Baboons say about this thread. All those other self-described "skeptics" did not need evidence, or first hand knowledge before being convinced.

I am amused at the fact that PZ seems to be disconcerted that he does not have you under his control. I am amused that he is so insecure, he cannot cope with someone actually interacting here, someone who is willing to find out for himself, instead of what he has been told, and it amuses me that because you are a regular at FTB, by not being abused and attacked by the Pit Bulls, even when peeing on their territory, you are an enormous threat to PZ's world.

I am also amused that he let everyone know, instead of keeping it to himself.

You are evidence that the approved propaganda about the Slime Pit is not accurate. The lie that PZ and company want their followers to believe about this place needs to be protected. It's the "good" and "evil" way of controlling people.
no evidence needed.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

will someone please tell the blond to go find someone to fuck her well, so she will stop bloody talking?

sacha

Post by sacha »

rayshul wrote:
You only lose your position in GTI if you repent of your chill girl ways, I believe...
It's only people like Stefunny who feel insecure when her friends talk to someone she does not like.

Steersman is not someone I "dislike" anyway.

plop

Re: no hope for humanity - more evidence

Post by plop »

Git wrote:Ah, St Rachel of the Pancake. A stupid hate-filled terrorist-loving spoilt haemorrhoid who did the world a favour by getting smushed flatter than the Mayor of Flatland.

I love how humanist you are. So according to your way of reasoning, the world should be entitled to genocide all americans from the US ? Or do they they have a special holy status ?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Hmmm, the cartoon isn't obvious enough. I'd better put the word "shit" on the guy's t-shirt.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Guest wrote:
Franc's failure to publically admit and correct his error on this is noted (and deliciously ironic).
Actually is isn't an error. That notation was not on the video for weeks. I kept pulling up the video and looking for it.
I don't know how to prove that, but I will tell you there were quite a few days that I watched her say "executed" over and over and over again.

No one ever said she was unaware of her mistake for weeks. I don't see how anyone can consider that tweet a public admission of a mistake on a video.

Read JCW's comment again that you included in your response here (it shows evidence to the contrary of your assertion).

He watched the video from an embedded location, and there was no notation, and then when she tries to blame it on the fact the video is embedded, he goes directly to the YouTube link, and it is still not on the video. This is 20 days later! He recommends adding one-line of text to the YouTube page.

JCW is extremely nice, her does not accuse her of anything. He seems to not only give her the benefit of the doubt, but recommends a way for her to significantly reduce the drama.

which, of course she ignores.

Allow me to help you understand that you reposted evidence which disproves your statement. Either you are unable to follow a basic exchange between two people, or you did not bother to read it for yourself.

This are the people claiming to be sceptics.

I posted links in my comment the other day - there is no mention of it to this day on her blog where the video is posted. No mention of it in the text under the video itself on YouTube.
Even if you believe she added the notation on the video 10 minutes later (but is not concerned when someone points out that 20 days later there is no sign of a notation), she does not take responsibility for the mistake, she blames other people. "Blinded by rage" is not the same as "I was wrong" or even "I made a mistake",

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

sacha wrote: Even if you believe she added the notation on the video 10 minutes later (but is not concerned when someone points out that 20 days later there is no sign of a notation), she does not take responsibility for the mistake, she blames other people. "Blinded by rage" is not the same as "I was wrong" or even "I made a mistake",
I suspect that she messed up in the addition of the note 10 mins later. I have no clue on the mechanisms of youtube vids..but I doubt that all of the slimepitters that checked back in those days could have messed up. I most certainly wouldnt have gone through her original video though.. coz I had had enough of her by then.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

sacha wrote:[...] she does not take responsibility for the mistake, she blames other people. "Blinded by rage" is not the same as "I was wrong" or even "I made a mistake"
I don't give a monkey's mummified cobbler how long it took her to acknowledge this bit of ignorance, but as you say, she does not admit it as her ignorance, and this is what bothers me. This "blinded by rage" comment is clearly not serious, but she is essentially rolling her eyes and saying "of course, I knew all along that Galileo wasn't executed but it was just having a moment". Could happen to anyone. Except, of course, it couldn't. Only someone who was not in possession of the facts in the first place would blurt out something so clearly contrary to them.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Is that what people are being taught nowadays? :think:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 8fb3a8.png

Source:

Geoffrey Falk

Post by Geoffrey Falk »

sacha wrote:[JCW] watched the video from an embedded location, and there was no notation, and then when she tries to blame it on the fact the video is embedded, he goes directly to the YouTube link, and it is still not on the video.
JCW gave the link with the "player_embedded" value for the feature parameter in the query string of the URL, rather than using the straight URL ( Depending on the effects of that parameter, it's entirely possible that setting it would lead to (buggy) code-paths that leaving it off wouldn't have traversed.

Annotations to YouTube videos are not incorporated directly into the original video--e.g., if you download the video directly, the annotations get stripped out. Rather, the annotations evidently get composited into the video stream on the fly. As such, (i) any download and editing of the video to produce an excerpt would strip out the annotations, and (ii) it is entirely plausible that the use of a different (embedded, or even Mobile) player, with a bug in it, would prevent them from showing even in the original.

In short, unless you were watching the video directly on YouTube, via the straight URL without query-string parameters, the absence of visible annotations in it does not count as evidence of anything (except Watson's poor communication skills in the "single point of failure," etc.).
Even if you believe she added the notation on the video 10 minutes later (but is not concerned when someone points out that 20 days later there is no sign of a notation)....
In addition to Watson's Tweet from Sep 9, 2011, note that there were only two dozen comments on that YouTube video before Watson added her own comment ("1 year ago"), saying:

http://i46.tinypic.com/348oxex.png

That (i.e., "I was indeed conflating him with Bruno") is a clear admission of error, on Watson's part, even if the full comment may fall short as an acceptance of responsibility, or a realization on her part of what should be expected (in preparation and research) of any minimally competent skeptic.

Further, since comments were being made at youtube.com to that video at a rate of more than 30 per day during the first few weeks of its posting, her comment being #25 is fully consistent with Watson's admission of error being made within the first day of the posting, and irreconcilable with the idea that it was not made until weeks afterward.

John D

Post by John D »

Steersman wrote:
franc wrote:

That you keep mistaking my “she apparently corrected the mistake ... within minutes” as “citing Skepchick as fact” suggests that you are unable to differentiate between those two radically distinct and different statements in terms of meaning, intent and force; that you are the one who is the “failed intellect”, the one who has gone “completely off the rails”. Nietzsche may have said it best, although it seems to be an ancient archetype: “He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster.”
And if more than one person says something that automatically makes it the gospel truth? That you keep characterizing me as a “cripple”, a “peabrain” and the like for simply asking that “outrageous statements be supported by empirical evidence” provides further justification for the argument that you are the one who is the “failed intellect” – not me.
Which excuses Watson's idiocy I suppose. ... Watson' is an airhead and a moron - the time is really irrelevant.
Fuck. What a dickhead. So now the time is “really irrelevant” after calling me a cripple and a peabrain for questioning and challenging your “She did not correct it in minutes - but after a few weeks of laughter ....”? What a fucking joke.
Awesome - these are the biggest charges against me that you asshats can come up with in a year's worth of vicious slander and personal attack. Versus a Grand Canyon's worth of malfeasance, deception, corruption, fraud and even outright criminality none of the vermin at A+, FTB or Skepchick have any answer to. A chipped fingernail versus a decapitation.
Awesome indeed – the closest you’ve come to actually admitting that you made a mistake in calling me a peabrain, a buffoon and cripple. And in insisting, which motivated the former, that Watson did not correct her mistake until weeks after the event. Just a little more integrity franc – you can do it! Not such a big hurdle!

But the point isn’t the “chipped fingernail versus the decapitation” – which might actually be a fair assessment – but that you are apparently unable to acknowledge that chipped fingernail and all its consequences. An inability that raises some serious questions about your other claims and perceptions. Somewhat analogous to individuals such as Francis Collins who can apparently do credible work in some areas in spite of serious blind spots, but whose credibility in others has to be seriously deprecated.
Steersman - You are either naive, or an idiot, or both. The only way to catch the lies, deceptions, exaggerations, and abuse done by Watson, Benson and company is to screen capture EVERYTHING. It is well know to me, at least, that material is regularly edited and fabricated by these attention whores.

Perhaps it has never happened to you, but it has happened to me and many others on this forum. Why do you think I hate these fuckers so much? They have edited, misquoted, and altered my content and comments and do not restore my original work even when informed. This is actually quite amazing since I regularly post on may sites. Even the crazy psycho fanatic religious people don't abuse my comments they way the A+theists do. It makes me wish Watson, Benson, PZ, an Zvan were religious, because they obvious have no moral compass of their own. They don't feel the least bit guilty about lying and abusing others. Perhaps they could use a bit of fear of hell or something to get them to stop acting like fucking psychopaths.

They are, to put it bluntly, fucking liars!

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

sacha wrote:
Guest wrote:
Franc's failure to publically admit and correct his error on this is noted (and deliciously ironic).
Actually is isn't an error. That notation was not on the video for weeks. I kept pulling up the video and looking for it.
I don't know how to prove that, but I will tell you there were quite a few days that I watched her say "executed" over and over and over again.

No one ever said she was unaware of her mistake for weeks. I don't see how anyone can consider that tweet a public admission of a mistake on a video.
I think the tweet is being provided because it specifically references the addition of the annotation to the video. That annotation is considered the public admission of the Galileo mistake. The time stamp on the tweet, Sept 9th 2011, indicates the annotation was indeed added the same day as the video being uploaded to YouTube.

Considering the much talked about failings in YouTube annotation display under various conditions at various times, I put more weight in the tweet than anecdotes about not seeing the annotation -- even after penalizing the tweet with negative reliability points for having come from Rebecca.

Galileo YouTube video (annotation at 3:15)
The tweet of annotation claim.
Google search indicating that YouTube annotations have a long and glorious history of not being reliable.

That being said... What a waste of energy arguing over minutiae when any time stampings showing the exact minute of the note's addition are likely only archived on a massive disk array in some YouTube datacenter. How about just agreeing that Franc can be a righteous ass with whiffs of baboon, Steersman can be a contrarian ass with whiffs of baboon, and Rebecca is a hypocritical, manipulative, duplicitous ass with a foul permanent stench of baboon?

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Noel Plum weighs in on "Schrodinger's Rapist" (The original article.)

[youtube]E_6ehnrnodk[/youtube]

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

And that's what I get for being distracted for half an hour while posting.

What Geoffrey said.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

JackRayner wrote:Noel Plum weighs in on "Schrodinger's Rapist" (The original article.)

[youtube]E_6ehnrnodk[/youtube]
Noel Plum's vids never fail to make me hoot, and he usually has a damn good point to offer. The baboons alienated a potentially excellent contributor in giving him shit over at FfTB. This sort of thing - effectively cutting off their noses to spite their faces - is what I believe will be primary in their downfall.

oolon

Re: another rant

Post by oolon »

sacha wrote: oolon,
I know you find it enjoyable when your disingenuous interpretations result in a defensive, or aggressive reaction.
You knew what MKG was referring to when he used the word "policing". What I said was extremely similiar:
I personally welcome someone who is more detached, and has a different perspective than most of us, one who is logical and employs critical thinking when reviewing all of the evidence, but arrives at different conclusions.
Hmm not sure I was totally disingenuous, I still find the idea of a FtBs/skepchick 'champion' coming over here to fight the good fight extremely amusing. In terms of defensive or aggressive reactions I would think I'd be better spent over at some bloggers homes in FtBs if I just got off on that. Thunderdome would be a good place to live...
sacha wrote: By interacting here, you are able to be the centre of attention at FTB, and by being a regular there, you have a captive audience, in both places

The manufactured misunderstandings and accusations, and even the "polite" questions and commentary in your discussions here, are nothing but an over the top, contrived performance with the intent to antagonise, entice, and engage.

You love the game.
It also may be what is keeping PZ from banning you.

The thing is, you don't bother me at all. I think it is great that you post in both places, and I hope it continues. I give you credit for having the balls to be here under the name you use at FTB. You came here to see for yourself, even if you arrived with the intent of confirming what the Baboons say about this thread. All those other self-described "skeptics" did not need evidence, or first hand knowledge before being convinced.

I am amused at the fact that PZ seems to be disconcerted that he does not have you under his control. I am amused that he is so insecure, he cannot cope with someone actually interacting here, someone who is willing to find out for himself, instead of what he has been told, and it amuses me that because you are a regular at FTB, by not being abused and attacked by the Pit Bulls, even when peeing on their territory, you are an enormous threat to PZ's world.

I am also amused that he let everyone know, instead of keeping it to himself.

You are evidence that the approved propaganda about the Slime Pit is not accurate. The lie that PZ and company want their followers to believe about this place needs to be protected. It's the "good" and "evil" way of controlling people.
no evidence needed.
What? PZ is disconcerted he does not have me under control? He'd just ban me if it was any bother to him - he would have I reckon if he had not picked up the bug and was laid out. What makes you think I've not been attacked by the 'pit bulls' as you put it?
sacha wrote:you are an enormous threat to PZ's world.
I'm glad I'm keeping you supplied with nice fantasies of Pharyngula destructing because I manage to be an annoying git here and over there. This somewhat jars after your bit about sceptical thinking however.
sacha wrote:I am also amused that he let everyone know, instead of keeping it to himself.
WTF are you on about? I don't see him letting anyone know I'm a great 'threat' to anything other than the threads average IQ score.
sacha wrote:You are evidence that the approved propaganda about the Slime Pit is not accurate.
The approved propaganda is that anyone posting regularly here and identifying with the cause is most likely more interested in hating FtBs/Skepchick than fighting misogyny as they see it. Seems the 'approved propaganda' is on an even keel still...

Git

Re: no hope for humanity - more evidence

Post by Git »

plop wrote:
Git wrote:Ah, St Rachel of the Pancake. A stupid hate-filled terrorist-loving spoilt haemorrhoid who did the world a favour by getting smushed flatter than the Mayor of Flatland.
I love how humanist you are. So according to your way of reasoning, the world should be entitled to genocide all americans from the US ? Or do they they have a special holy status ?
Why do you assume I'm a humanist?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Geoffrey Falk wrote:
sacha wrote:[JCW] watched the video from an embedded location, and there was no notation, and then when she tries to blame it on the fact the video is embedded, he goes directly to the YouTube link, and it is still not on the video.
JCW gave the link with the "player_embedded" value for the feature parameter in the query string of the URL, rather than using the straight URL ( Depending on the effects of that parameter, it's entirely possible that setting it would lead to (buggy) code-paths that leaving it off wouldn't have traversed.

Annotations to YouTube videos are not incorporated directly into the original video--e.g., if you download the video directly, the annotations get stripped out. Rather, the annotations evidently get composited into the video stream on the fly. As such, (i) any download and editing of the video to produce an excerpt would strip out the annotations, and (ii) it is entirely plausible that the use of a different (embedded, or even Mobile) player, with a bug in it, would prevent them from showing even in the original.
Geoffrey Falk wrote:In short, unless you were watching the video directly on YouTube, via the straight URL without query-string parameters, the absence of visible annotations in it does not count as evidence of anything (except Watson's poor communication skills in the "single point of failure," etc.).
JCW went directly to watch the video on YouTube after watching it embedded. He clearly says that, and I repeated it in my response to "Guest"
Even if you believe she added the notation on the video 10 minutes later (but is not concerned when someone points out that 20 days later there is no sign of a notation)....
In addition to Watson's Tweet from Sep 9, 2011, note that there were only two dozen comments on that YouTube video before Watson added her own comment ("1 year ago"), saying:

http://i46.tinypic.com/348oxex.png

That (i.e., "I was indeed conflating him with Bruno") is a clear admission of error, on Watson's part, even if the full comment may fall short as an acceptance of responsibility, or a realization on her part of what should be expected (in preparation and research) of any minimally competent skeptic.

Further, since comments were being made at youtube.com to that video at a rate of more than 30 per day during the first few weeks of its posting, her comment being #25 is fully consistent with Watson's admission of error being made within the first day of the posting, and irreconcilable with the idea that it was not made until weeks afterward.[/quote]

A response tweet and a response to another's comment about being "blinded" is not a public retraction, and admission of guilt. It is blame of anything but herself in hidden places.

She says "Note Added!". Can you point me to evidence that the notation was indeed on the video at the time she said it was? I remember all of us just waiting to see it, which is why I watched that bloody imbecile talk about Galileo over and over to see if she had added it yet.

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

Geoffrey Falk wrote: In short, unless you were watching the video directly on YouTube, via the straight URL without query-string parameters, the absence of visible annotations in it does not count as evidence of anything (except Watson's poor communication skills in the "single point of failure," etc.).
Another fact is that people didnt stop commenting about the galileo error on youtube for most of the time.. its continuous.. it stops only during the 1year-11 months transition (actually a couple of people bring it up again 2 weeks ago). I suspect that even if you were watching it directly on youtube, for some reason the Note didnt get through.
Executed_2.jpg
(58.8 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

When signed into youtube, you can have your settings either show annotations or hide them all. I think they show by default, but I'm not sure. Also, these days embedded vids show annotations, but I've seen that be buggy once a while back. I'm not sure whether annotations are turned on by default for people who are not signed into youtube.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Geoffrey Falk wrote: In short, unless you were watching the video directly on YouTube, via the straight URL without query-string parameters, the absence of visible annotations in it does not count as evidence of anything (except Watson's poor communication skills in the "single point of failure," etc.).
But: This VERY subject is EXACTLY what she has, (or claims to have), a Bachelor of Science for!!
Science Communications!
She is supposed to be a qualified expert in the insertion of communications into videos such that they are accureatly represented over all media!
She spent 3 years formally learning to do this very thing.
She is no 'newbie' who made a simple error.

She says that she is fully qualified in this field, and therefore HAS NO EXCUSE, technical problems notwithstanding.
She should have known-by-heart that these types of problems will manifest, and included a simple text tag as a backup.

As RW is fully qualified, I suspect that this was not a simple mistake.

Michael K Gray

FfTBoggers don't smell?

Post by Michael K Gray »

Psychopaths have poor sense of smell: scientists
PARIS — Psychopaths have a remarkably poor sense of smell, according to a study published on Thursday.
Researchers in Australia tested a theory that psychopathy -- a severe personality disorder characterised by lack of empathy, antisocial behaviour and callousness -- may be linked to impaired smell ability.
The OFC is a front part of the brain responsible for controlling impulses, planning and behaving in line with social norms.

DownThunder

Re: FfTBoggers don't smell?

Post by DownThunder »

Michael K Gray wrote:Psychopaths have poor sense of smell: scientists
PARIS — Psychopaths have a remarkably poor sense of smell, according to a study published on Thursday.
Researchers in Australia tested a theory that psychopathy -- a severe personality disorder characterised by lack of empathy, antisocial behaviour and callousness -- may be linked to impaired smell ability.
The OFC is a front part of the brain responsible for controlling impulses, planning and behaving in line with social norms.
Where does that leave Bawwphelia Benson? Not a psychopath, just an aristocratic fainting lounge-lizard?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Michael K Gray wrote:
But: This VERY subject is EXACTLY what she has, (or claims to have), a Bachelor of Science for!!
Science Communications!
She is supposed to be a qualified expert in the insertion of communications into videos such that they are accureatly represented over all media!

She says that she is fully qualified in this field, and therefore HAS NO EXCUSE, technical problems notwithstanding.
She should have known-by-heart that these types of problems will manifest, and included a simple text tag as a backup.

Rebecca Watson is not YouTube's problem. She knew it was not showing up, because people were asking her when she planned to post a retraction/admission. This was the big drama of hers at the time. JCW was not the first to make her aware that a notation was not visible anywhere. She did not care.
It was all about the haters who scrutinise her every move, looking for the tiniest thing to mock her with, and how it was no big deal.
She did not feel it was necessary to admit she filmed and uploaded a video where she mocks others in a condescending way in regards to their lack of knowledge about a historical reference, by using completely inaccurate information about the exact same history that directly pertains to scepticism.

I am giving a lot of lead to the notion that her little mention of "being blinded by rage" is enough to constitute a retraction/admission.
This is a public figure who's career is supposed to be scepticism, this is not a hobby for her. She is also a role model for women and girls (as ridiculous as that is). A leader in scepticism who gets paid to fly around speaking at conferences. This video was uploaded to her Skepchick account on YouTube. Her professional account.
I am amazed that anyone who considers themselves a sceptic is accepting that little note blaming rage, insinuating that "condemnation" is similar enough to execution that it was just a minor thing no one should have issue with, and what the fuck is "Herp Derp"? This is not a retraction nor admission in my view, this is exasperation about how she really did not make a mistake, but fine, here is something to shut you all up, it was not my fault anyway, it was those Christians getting their facts wrong that enraged me.
She is unable to use critical thinking skills when she is angry? She did not feel the need to check her facts before using them to act superior?
So the Christians are idiots for repeating something from history that would have taken one minute on Wikipaedia to learn, and that is hilarious! Stupid Christians! HAHAHA
Becci mocks them on the exact same subject with her "educated knowledge" and does not see a problem. When pressed, she adds the notation which apparently is more than she should be expected to do.

I'd bloody love for her to debate a creationist.

Even if the notation is enough for you to consider her vindicated, if it does not show up, it is her responsibility.

It's not, "oh well, I posted it, if it does not appear, that is fine."

JAB

Post by JAB »

Michael K Gray wrote: But: This VERY subject is EXACTLY what she has, (or claims to have), a Bachelor of Science for!!
Science Communications!

It's still likely a mistake in my opinion. The problem is that she makes these careless mistakes because the truth doesn't matter to her. It's completely unimportant to her and she doesn't understand why anyone else is worried about it either. All that is important to her is the narrative that she's trying to spin at this moment. That's it. And she thinks we're rude to ask her to not make shit up in her attempt to spin it. That's quite post modern of her isn't it.

JAB

Post by JAB »

JAB wrote:
It's still likely a mistake in my opinion. The problem is that she makes these careless mistakes because the truth doesn't matter to her. It's completely unimportant to her and she doesn't understand why anyone else is worried about it either. All that is important to her is the narrative that she's trying to spin at this moment. That's it. And she thinks we're rude to ask her to not make shit up in her attempt to spin it. That's quite post modern of her isn't it.

Actually, the mistake I was referring to was her original Galileo slip, not her total fail at correcting her slip, which is what mkg's quote was about.