Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Dave

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Dave »

Lsuoma wrote:
lost control wrote: But, let's hope Lsuoma doesn't have to move around too much, and maybe if he can get around to it, the odd plugin might be installed to please us even more.
Here's some homework for someone, then. See if you can find a MOD that makes phpBB3 mobile-friendly - I'll take a look at implementing it over the weekend.

I know someone did suggest it early on, and there may have been a link there: I'll try and check this evening, but if anyone can come up with it in the meantime, knock yourself out...
Since I suggested the commenting mod, Im taking that as directed at me.

In anycase, all I can find in 30 seconds of half-assed searching is the following: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/p ... tion_width

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

@Caede:
There's a reason I posted here instead of on a FtB... and honestly, I lean more towards supporting their underlying views than some of the views I've seen expressed outside or here, but I really don't believe that FtB could be considered an open forum for discussion. I do appreciate this 'slyme pit' for that reason, even with it's strong anti-FtB bias (well... since it's the basis for it's founding).
What underlying views? how do those views differ? Do the views actually differ or are you accepting the FTB version of other peoples' views?
To be fair, I have read through his blog and he's not a monster. Maybe. I truly don't think he's just an offensive oaf, but his near-creepy obsession with gang-banging the dead-horse of "FTB Baboons" is a bit off-putting. Obviously he's not the only one with a vendetta to act out, but it's very on-display. Plus, it's easy to toss in 'but not Hoggle' in places.
The "FTB Baboons" horse is not dead, unfortunately. Why do you think that it's a vendetta?

The point of a skeptic community is not necessarily to find points of agreement. The point of much of FTB (Pharyngula in particular) is to browbeat everyone into accepting that that they are RIGHT, to the degree that they won't even discuss it. Rebuttals are "obsession" or "cyberstalking", correcting facts makes you a "kook" or "too stupid to breathe", self-defense makes it "all about you". Comments are deleted, posters banned and history re-written. FTB are a political entity, not a freethought community.

I find myself asking why I spend time on online atheism/skepticism. The easy answer is that religious delusions damage thinking processes, woo and denialism hurts people, science and the environment. But what does following blogs and adding "me too's" and slightly differing views actually do. In my case I think it's actually a reaction to the almost painful frustration at being exposed to this irrational bullshit in person and in the media day in and day out. TBH, this online stuff is a release valve. Is FTB not motivated by the same thing, but with more of an evangelical and spitefully vengeful edge? They have somehow convinced themselves that failure to bend the knee to their definitions of words is going to have some kind of detrimental effect on gender equality. They have confused inconsequential bitch fests with actual, meaningful action. They have delusions of importance, they are on some kind of world-changing crusade.

Regarding PZ, he is nasty for the sake of being nasty. There is a difference between refusing to show deference to sincerely held irrational beliefs and writing intemperate screeds condemning all the religious. He's at war. Fuck him and his narrow-minded little war.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

I have found the obsession with certain people to be tedious - I prefer ideas (or left field humour totally unrelated to the thread direction).

I can't speak for the Hogglinator, but I suspect that he would wear the picture posted by caede with some pride.

sacha

blog, thread, forum, comment board...

Post by sacha »

Well, I agree with Phil, now that Lsuoma has set it up where we can easily bypass the forum, made it an ongoing thread, and got rid of the editing, censoring, tone, and language control. Even he seems more relaxed about it.

My preference is an ongoing conversation (which does not even have to be about the baboons). I like relaxing in the morning, having my tea, and reading the comments I missed while sleeping.
The only reason I took a leave of absence from Abbie's, was that I had a week or two when I did not have time to keep up with the discussion. I did not want to comment without reading all of the posts I had not seen, and I simply did not have the time to catch up after that. I had a difficult time even attempting to keep up with the baboons and their drama. I peeked in on Abbie's thread semi-regularly just for an overview, or when one sent me a link to a comment, and I never stopped reading her science blog.

When I returned, I realised that I had missed being a part of it. Plus there were all these new commenters willing to associate with themselves with the slime pit, and add their knowledge and perspective to the dialog.

I had no interest in another forum, I was not planning to participate here until he started this thread, and I saw that he was trying to create a place that was similar to the original.

I have no complaints, it now feels similar to the original at Abbie's place (especially because Abbie herself is now participating). People like Phil have began to post commentary, instead of just lurking, Those that have been here a bit, seem to like it, even Nectar has, although reluctantly (yes, that was meant to be humorous), decided to give it a go (at least for a few posts to start). I'm in contact with others who were waiting to see if stayed true to the original, and they are planning to join soon. I'll post at the blog instead, if that is preferable to others. It really does not matter to me.

Lsuoma went out of his way to make this as close to the original as he could. He took a lot of time to find out what would make the majority happy and comfortable, and he changed a lot of things that were raised as issues. He wanted to make sure to show Abbie respect for creating the original. He asked for advice, created polls, and took the time to email those he felt were important, who had not joined, and ask what he could do to change that. I know he wrote Abbie numerous times to ask her opinions, get her advice, and to make sure she was pleased with the place that would continue what she began. After all, it was Abbie's strength, ethics, generosity, and courage that allowed the thread to become what it was. He wanted to make sure she felt it was a respectful tribute.
He also took the time to email Nectar in order to find out the reasons for her to decline the invitation, and see if he could do anything to change her mind. He worked with a lot of different people and listened when they recommended a better way to do things.

for someone who was referred to as the "FNG", I think he did a very good job.

I think that is quite enough praise, at least from me, and don't fucking think I'm giving you a hug.
Lsuoma wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sorry, but I like the format of the Periodic thread, as it works exactly like a blog, with the added bonus of not having to log in or register to post. I don't see the interest of moving this thread to a blog form.

of course, if anyone disagrees, I will be glad to addapt to any format it takes.
I'm with Phil on this one. I much prefer this - the options for quoting, formatting, etc., are way more flexible and manageable...

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Lsuoma wrote: BTW, a useful post at Brayhorse's place...
Church Vandalized With Pro-Atheist Messages
This is all second hand via The Wimpy Atheist anyway, but the pics on his blog and the police report indicate that a swastika was featured; the A in atheist was circled - which is an anarchist thing - and there were booze containers about. In other words this is drunken local teenagers spraying anything they think might upset the old folks. It's nothing to do with atheism

Sayeth Brayton:
Great idea. I just donated $25 to the cause. I hope you’ll consider doing so as well, if you can afford it.
Well I can't afford it, and if could I wouldn't. Yes I know "atheists came together with the church to support a local charity" and we wouldn't want them to have an excuse to say "some evil atheist(s) did this awful damage", but they'll say that anyway. Meeting theists halfway in a good cause (though what cause isn't specified) is one thing. Chipping in to re-furbish a house of delusion is another.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Lsuoma wrote:
lost control wrote: But, let's hope Lsuoma doesn't have to move around too much, and maybe if he can get around to it, the odd plugin might be installed to please us even more.
Here's some homework for someone, then. See if you can find a MOD that makes phpBB3 mobile-friendly - I'll take a look at implementing it over the weekend.

I know someone did suggest it early on, and there may have been a link there: I'll try and check this evening, but if anyone can come up with it in the meantime, knock yourself out...
Tapatalk is a great app. The server app is free, but the Android/Apple app is around $1.99-$2.99

phpBB download: http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=phpbb

I use Tapatalk on my iPhone for all the forums I visit, much better than trying to navigate in the web browser.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

real horrorshow wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: BTW, a useful post at Brayhorse's place...
Church Vandalized With Pro-Atheist Messages
This is all second hand via The Wimpy Atheist anyway, but the pics on his blog and the police report indicate that a swastika was featured; the A in atheist was circled - which is an anarchist thing - and there were booze containers about. In other words this is drunken local teenagers spraying anything they think might upset the old folks. It's nothing to do with atheism

Sayeth Brayton:
Great idea. I just donated $25 to the cause. I hope you’ll consider doing so as well, if you can afford it.
Well I can't afford it, and if could I wouldn't. Yes I know "atheists came together with the church to support a local charity" and we wouldn't want them to have an excuse to say "some evil atheist(s) did this awful damage", but they'll say that anyway. Meeting theists halfway in a good cause (though what cause isn't specified) is one thing. Chipping in to re-furbish a house of delusion is another.
Hemant says they'll figure out which local charity to donate to together with the pastor, so hopefully they won't pick one supporting ignorance.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

xtog42 in comment 19 nailed it beautifully!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ment-97679

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

My comment:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ment-97693
[Troll Alert!]

Sounds like natural selection in action.

Those who like being harassed and those who like to do so, will go.
Those who do not care for either, will not go.

Sounds like a win/win/win situation.

[/Troll Alert!]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Despite the evidence that all the time in the past the vandalism has been done from within the church community, PZ buys into the "atheists did it" meme and tells everyone the stereotype "Guys don't do it" as well. Crap, the guy can't get parodied - he's a parody of himself. The way he falls for the spin is just...wow. I seriously hope he avoids political tv - and the infomercials. He probably has a load of Sham-Wows and the like. Can anybody explain how he came to be associated with skepticism?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Some of those comments inspired me to post my troll bait, but I was not the only one:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ment-97692
I sure hope the local police have stocked up on rape examination kits. They are, unfortunately, going to need a bunch before TAM is over.

PS Looks like Svan thinks this person is serious? *scratching head*

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

I bet Becky is dancing for joy over this publicity. This is nauseating. Harassment at meetings and cons is almost nonexistent, but the PZ/Watson cult has managed to turn this into a "rapists everywhere" bruhaha. They don't care that their made-up stories are severely harming the atheist/skeptical communities, all they care about is advancing their agenda of power and control no matter the cost. I sincerely hope Paula Kirby writes a detailed and blunt response to this article in the Post. Hell, she should just publish a condensed version of her wonderful "Sisterhood" article.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote:Bullshit:
I posted the link over at the Svan thread. I am interested to see what the usual suspects make of it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I love that t-shirt the woman is wearing. Another sign of the upwelling of resistance towards crybabies Stefunny, Opheliar (fuck off Ophelia, please), Peezus, Twitson, and co.

We are growing...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Misogynist ‏@Yers1n1aPest1s
Just in: "Busload of predators on their way to #TAM2012 to take advantage of their lacking harassment policy"! #Adultdiapers #FTBullies
This was in response to Ashley F. Miller's tweet about the lack of harassment policy and how it is a "welcome mat for predators".

:lol:

Why do Ifeel people are going to absolutely roast her for that.

Post by Guest »

Ophelia is very much not happy about the photograph Justin Vacula posted at 2:37 above: (msg #24 at her post "Boy am I glad I’m not in Las Vegas")
Magicthighs – quite so. I’m not kidding when I say I’m glad I’m not there! Boy am I not kidding. I was looking forward to it until DJ dropped his bomb – and after that I was dreading it. Now it looks like sheer hell, all full of giggling feminist-haters. Bleargh.

No, Ophelia, people that disagree with your ridiculous assertion that a harassment policy is of some vital importance are not "feminist-haters", but you are correct about the "giggling" part - myself and lots of other feminists have been laughing at you clowns for more than a year now.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

AndrewV69 wrote:
I posted the link over at the Svan thread. I am interested to see what the usual suspects make of it.
They'll love it. The more baboon shit they can throw around in public, the more they love it.

There are good reasons that #FTBullies hashtag took off.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Guest wrote:Ophelia is very much not happy about the photograph Justin Vacula posted at 2:37 above: (msg #24 at her post "Boy am I glad I’m not in Las Vegas")
I'm shocked that Opheliar is not very happy about something. I'm sure so goes out of her way to find things to take offence at. Except when it comes to accepting Greg Laden is a nasty fucking bully. :evil:

Of the FC5, Opheliar is the scary, wide-eyed wacky one. Has been for a few months now.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Apparently, this guy was spotted in Las Vegas minutes ago...

http://actionflickchick.com/superaction ... dator2.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Misogynist ‏@Yers1n1aPest1s
Just in: "Busload of predators on their way to #TAM2012 to take advantage of their lacking harassment policy"! #Adultdiapers #FTBullies
This was in response to Ashley F. Miller's tweet about the lack of harassment policy and how it is a "welcome mat for predators".

:lol:

Why do Ifeel people are going to absolutely roast her for that.
Amazing how some people believe that words written on paper have the magic power to keep people safe from (imaginary) evil forces that would otherwise overwhelm them. Oh wait, are we talking about the Bible?

Notung

Post by Notung »

Hi everyone. Is anyone here 'skepdirt'? Looks like they just got suspended from Twitter.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Weird how lots of people who criticize FfTB get their online accounts 'suspended', huh?

</fine but still bitter>

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

From vjack at atheistrev:
There is no question that some of those complaining about FtB's bullying are upset by their feminist positions. But it does not follow that everyone complaining is necessarily anti-feminist.
This. This a million times over. Finally someone on there side actually gets what we've been saying for a good year now.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Good article. Even those wary of fully condemning FfTB or "siding" with The Slyme, are starting to raise their objections towards the Baboon Bullies. This is one of the reasons why some of them, such as Stefunny, have upped the ante with regard to their attacks recently. They are like an injured animal.

We will defeat them...

Post by Guest »

Skeptical abyss is blogging from TAM
http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=86

Says:
2:25. McGaha brought out a monopod and used it with a tool that measures angles. A monopod! At TAM?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

But it does not follow that everyone complaining is necessarily anti-feminist.
Indeed. One of FfTB's main contentions is that anybody who questions them is misogynist, a rape enabler, an MRV, etc.

This is a CLASSIC STRAWMAN. In fact, I dn't even think there are any "anti-feminists" at The Slyme Pit, despite what the Baboon Narrative Department like to promote. The lying cockroaches.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

lol at the last bullet:

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Man, twitter is really becoming the deathblow to the FTBullies crap:

I feel like the ridicule against the FC5 has gone into high gear as of late. Surprised it took this long, but I'm glad it's finally happening.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I couldn't help myself.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ERV wrote:Weird how lots of people who criticize FfTB get their online accounts 'suspended', huh?

</fine but still bitter>
That's why people like 'Skepdirt' need to come here to post, and use twitter only to advertise what's here. From here, the info will spread to other sites. I'm new to Twitter but their admins seem to be very twitchy and fast to pull the trigger on accounts. Becky and the rest of the Ministry of Twoof are obviously busy behind the scenes, bugging the shit out of Twitter to suspend accounts and subsequently keep stamping out dissent.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Skeeve wrote:

I couldn't help myself.
jeebus, the first reply

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

When thinking of all of the 'drama' in the past few weeks (or perhaps since Elevatorgate), talking to some people (I won't name names), and following my Twitter discussion with Rebecca Watson for which I got blocked [but not before being told "Like, seriously, what give you the right to tell me what's best for my mental well-being? Fuck that.] following my tweet to her saying "I've been told really shitty things from rep's of an atheist organization. Should I also not go to those cons," I think I had an epiphany. ...so I wrote a post about what seems to be Watson's and Benson's chief epistemological problem - they can't step back from their views and consider their 'feelings' about a certain situation as unjustified.

For them, it seems, as far as their beliefs that result from an appraisal of a situation are concerned, they consider their beliefs to be justified simply because they believe them - they 'feel' a certain way, so that feeling is justified and seemingly immune from criticism from detractors. If you object, you get responses similar to 'you don't know what it's like to be me,' 'you are telling me how to feel,' etc. that have nothing to do with the discussion when people like me are simply arguing that their beliefs (and reactions to certain situations) are unjustified (in Ophelia's case the e-mails she considered to be threatening). Those proclaiming different views, too, are thought of as 'bad people' for disagreeing with them.

For a long time, I wanted to write a post concerning my favorite band -- Epica -- paying homage to the Philosophy and Pop Culture series by Wiley-Blackwell, so here you have it:

Epica: Epistemology and Subjectivity

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/07/epi ... ivity.html

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
But it does not follow that everyone complaining is necessarily anti-feminist.
Indeed. One of FfTB's main contentions is that anybody who questions them is misogynist, a rape enabler, an MRV, etc.

This is a CLASSIC STRAWMAN. In fact, I dn't even think there are any "anti-feminists" at The Slyme Pit, despite what the Baboon Narrative Department like to promote. The lying cockroaches.
Of course, these are the same people who insist that all dissent comes only from the Slymepit, other than Kirby and Stangroom. They really need to look outside. There's an ever-growing crowd of people from all over the net, glaring at them.

[youtube]zDAmPIq29ro[/youtube]

Post by Guest »

Yep-- the free-thought bullies took a play from the Scientology handbook: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chu ... 04800.html

I really liked "Anonymous Skepchick"-- and the avatar (Guy Fawkes mask with pink hair.)

I'm glad they haven't been able to get rid of the "AngrySkepchick"

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guest wrote:Yep-- the free-thought bullies took a play from the Scientology handbook: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chu ... 04800.html

I really liked "Anonymous Skepchick"-- and the avatar (Guy Fawkes mask with pink hair.)

I'm glad they haven't been able to get rid of the "AngrySkepchick"
From what I've seen, the reason AngrySkepchick hasn't been suspended is because he or she is just dishing out some humorous snark. AnonymousSkepchick was actually threatening to expose some of Skepchick's dirty laundry. Hence, the account was suspended. It's getting harder and harder not to invoke Godwin's Law when referring to these totalitarian bullying assholes. That's OK, they're doing a fine job exposing themselves for what they are, and it will all be documented here and other places. Plus, eventually all the dirty laundry will come out anyway, so their dissent-squashing is basically just Becky playing a losing battle of Skepchick Whack-A-Mole.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]5eCnmeaoGMA[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Saint N. wrote:I just noticed there were over 100 registered members on this forum.
Relevant word being "were": I've just deleted a bunch of known spam registrations (I use stopforumspam.com for data.)

And thanks for the thanks, BTW...

Evan

Post by Evan »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
They'll love it. The more baboon shit they can throw around in public, the more they love it.

There are good reasons that #FTBullies hashtag took off.
This is not the first time Kimberly Winston has written about perceived sexism in the atheist community.

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/%22Ge ... _USA_TODAY

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

Hello friends. Thanks for setting this up. I've battled with the Borg Collective Hive Mind at several FTB comment threads many times, only to discover just how fanatical these people are. From what I see though the response is growing. Nobody at my local atheist meetup supports these clowns, and all of my close nontheistic friends are generally appalled at what is going on. The TAM picture posted here is also encouraging. Hopefully we can get enough people to call out these fanatics and they will fade into obscurity.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Lsuoma wrote:
Saint N. wrote:I just noticed there were over 100 registered members on this forum.
Relevant word being "were": I've just deleted a bunch of known spam registrations (I use stopforumspam.com for data.)

And thanks for the thanks, BTW...
I was just about to ask whether my eyes had deceived me when I first wrote that. Still, mid-high 90s in one week is not too shabby IMO.
KarlVonMox wrote:Hello friends. Thanks for setting this up. I've battled with the Borg Collective Hive Mind at several FTB comment threads many times, only to discover just how fanatical these people are. From what I see though the response is growing. Nobody at my local atheist meetup supports these clowns, and all of my close nontheistic friends are generally appalled at what is going on. The TAM picture posted here is also encouraging. Hopefully we can get enough people to call out these fanatics and they will fade into obscurity.

That's very heartening to hear, and welcome to the Slyme Pit.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Gumby wrote:
I bet Becky is dancing for joy over this publicity. This is nauseating. Harassment at meetings and cons is almost nonexistent, but the PZ/Watson cult has managed to turn this into a "rapists everywhere" bruhaha. They don't care that their made-up stories are severely harming the atheist/skeptical communities, all they care about is advancing their agenda of power and control no matter the cost. I sincerely hope Paula Kirby writes a detailed and blunt response to this article in the Post. Hell, she should just publish a condensed version of her wonderful "Sisterhood" article.
I said it before, these people are getting away with "framing the narrative".

franc

Post by franc »

Surprise! It's Kimberly Winston. The same gullible moron that wrote the USAToday article.

Could it possibly be that the big baboon and the pink balloon full of cottage cheese have anything to do with it? Unpossible. For the unenlightened, Kimberley is some kind of xtian kook that probably likes opportunities to post garbage about atheism - and appreciates the assistance from the gruesome twosome. When Kimberley is not writing gibberish for newspapers, she writes books! Like these -

Bead One, Pray Too: A Guide to Making and Using Prayer Beads
Fabric of Faith: A Guide to the Prayer Quilt Ministry
Faith Beyond Faith Healing: Finding Hope After Shattered Dreams

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Welcome, KarlVonMox. I remember seeing some of your posts in the past.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Notung wrote:Hi everyone. Is anyone here 'skepdirt'? Looks like they just got suspended from Twitter.
BTW... you could give this timeline at the Washington Post comment (cannae be arsed or fash tae take it aw oot on te fannybawz) :
https://freethoughtkampala.wordpress.co ... vatorgate/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote: Surprise! It's Kimberly Winston. The same gullible moron that wrote the USAToday article.
Heh! Looks like PZ Barnum and the Pudgy Privileged Pink Twat might be in bed with a fucking woomeisterin, just to advance their agenda, which is so far from freethought that for them freethought might as well not exist. Two points make a straight line, after all. They are beyond parody, and beneath contempt.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

KarlVonMox wrote:Hello friends. Thanks for setting this up. I've battled with the Borg Collective Hive Mind at several FTB comment threads many times, only to discover just how fanatical these people are. From what I see though the response is growing. Nobody at my local atheist meetup supports these clowns, and all of my close nontheistic friends are generally appalled at what is going on. The TAM picture posted here is also encouraging. Hopefully we can get enough people to call out these fanatics and they will fade into obscurity.
A quite note:
I and many others here, I would wager, don't think ALL of Freethought Blogs is 'tainted,' but rather take issue with people like Ophelia Benson, Stephanie Zvan, 'Lousy Canuck,' PZ, and perhaps one/two others in addition to Rebecca Watson. Personally, my main 'quarrel' is with Ophelia, Zvan, Watson, and Canuck as they have all displayed deplorable attitudes at many points - directed at me in many cases. Earlier today, for instance, on the 'Dr. Hall wearing a t-shirt thread' Ophelia was going saying that I was telling lies about her (because I didn't read all of her e-mails on my podcast) and called me an asshole.

It is too bad, really, as civility would be quite the nice thing...and it would also be nice to focus on issues that -- I would think -- should be most prominent in the atheist community such as discussions about science, philosophy, arguments for/against religious belief, church/state issues, etc. I wanted to stay quiet on the 'drama,' but had to speak up once the character attacks on DJ were getting really bad.

Also interesting, on another note, are people who get so mad about name-calling (and perhaps justifiably so) but engage in it themselves. See below.

http://i.imgur.com/aAY7i.jpg

...so, welcome!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

NOH MAH GAWD YOU GUAISE!

They said if TAM didnt have a harassment policy THIS WOULD HAPPEN. We didnt listen! WE DIDNT LISTEN!!!!!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Notung wrote:Hi everyone. Is anyone here 'skepdirt'? Looks like they just got suspended from Twitter.
BTW... you could give this timeline at the Washington Post comment (cannae be arsed or fash tae take it aw oot on te fannybawz) :
https://freethoughtkampala.wordpress.co ... vatorgate/
I just did.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula wrote: I and many others here, I would wager, don't think ALL of Freethought Blogs is 'tainted,' but rather take issue with people like Ophelia Benson, Stephanie Zvan, 'Lousy Canuck,' PZ, and perhaps one/two others in addition to Rebecca Watson. Personally, my main 'quarrel' is with Ophelia, Zvan, Watson, and Canuck
Justin: Stephalum, PZ Barnum, Orwellia, Lousy Cunt and reGreta are known at the FC5 (Fainting Couch 5). They used to be the FC6, when Bin Laden was around, but he's (temporarily, most likely) in the Outer Darkness after being such a complete cunt to Justin Griffith that he had to be tossed under the bus as a sacrificial lamb when Thunderf00t was given the dirty kick-out, to prove that PeeNus and his trained sheep Ed Brayhorse were being even-handed.

The original thread is temporarily offline, but John Greg can help out with the designation of the FCn.

Foznik

Post by Foznik »

ERV wrote:NOH MAH GAWD YOU GUAISE!

They said if TAM didnt have a harassment policy THIS WOULD HAPPEN. We didnt listen! WE DIDNT LISTEN!!!!!
I thought PZ and RW weren't in Vegas. Oh, wait... chimpanzees, not baboons. Nevermind (Gilda Radner voice).

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Sorry if I missed this above, but the FTB coverage from Greta and Canuck on humor/rape jokes is quite confusing to me. As one who is a fan of the documentary "The Aristocrats" and South Park, I think that anything can be made funny if done in a certain light and, with humor, there is nothing that is off-limits. I think, though, cases of someone 'talking shit' and not being funny can be exceptions... Anyway...

I'm quite perplexed by what Greta Christina is saying about humor in her recent post
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... -a-genius/
I’m not saying it’s impossible for men to make funny jokes about women being raped. Lindy West’s piece gives some excellent examples of how this can be done. I’m saying this: If you’re making comedy about brutal oppression, and you are not in the group being oppressed, then IMO you should be damn careful with your humor. Your humor should be about the oppression — not the oppressed. Your humor should undermine the oppression — not contribute to it. And if you screw up, you need to not lash out and make it worse.
Why should humor be about the oppression and not the oppressed and why should humor undermine the oppression? Greta additionally proposes a false dichotomy here with 'undermine the oppression' or 'contribute to it.' How about neither and we not frame the ideas in these two very limited categories?

...and on the 'Canuck' show - a swipe at DJ and Doug Stanhope alleging that Stanhope "slurs" TAM and attendees although it was obviously a joke.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/

justinvacula

Blue Collar Atheist

Post by justinvacula »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/bluecollara ... -mistakes/

Great content from Hank Fox a.k.a. the Blue Collar Atheist from *gasp* Freethought Blogs. He just linked this on my Facebook timeline, so I guess he is *tainted* :p

My response was this:
Perhaps so much of what makes people The Enemy as you mentioned could be averted by a more charitable reading of comments and a willingness to discuss ideas rather than attack persons. You're right. People screw up. It's going to happen. So should people who screw up -- and perhaps were unaware or framed something poorly -- be treated as The Enemy? no.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula wrote: I'm quite perplexed by what Greta Christina is saying about humor in her recent post
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... -a-genius/
I’m not saying it’s impossible for men to make funny jokes about women being raped. Lindy West’s piece gives some excellent examples of how this can be done. I’m saying this: If you’re making comedy about brutal oppression, and you are not in the group being oppressed, then IMO you should be damn careful with your humor. Your humor should be about the oppression — not the oppressed. Your humor should undermine the oppression — not contribute to it. And if you screw up, you need to not lash out and make it worse.
She's asking for content to be directed towards her specific political or cultural ends, and saying that anything beyond that is unacceptable. This is very reminiscent of Socialist Realism and other perversions of totalitarian regimes. And yes, she and the others have a totalitarian agenda: they want it their way and nothing else is acceptable to them.

I say to her and the others of the RC5: "Fuck you! Fuck you right in the ear!" There is no way you can tell me what to do with my mind, you lousy shitbags. You don't like that? I laugh...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

NOH MAH GAWD YOU GUAISE!

[youtube]H9VLoecoeh8[/youtube]

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

I don't get it. I will never say things like -- and hopefully catch myself if I ever do -- "that comedian is not funny" or "basketball is stupid." Instead, I say things like "that comedian didn't make me laugh" or "I don't watch basketball." I understand that people have different tastes, ideas of humor, etc - individual facts about individuals. Apparently, some don't understand this (or apply this globally to their thinking) and talk about what people should do and how humor should be. Ugh.

Dilurk

Re: Blue Collar Atheist

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/bluecollara ... -mistakes/

Great content from Hank Fox a.k.a. the Blue Collar Atheist from *gasp* Freethought Blogs. He just linked this on my Facebook timeline, so I guess he is *tainted* :p
We have known that it is not all the bloggers at FreeThought Blogs who are bullies, only a few. The real question is going to be if PZ gets bluecollaratheist banned as well for "bad writing". I agree, this is a great post.

My response was this:
Perhaps so much of what makes people The Enemy as you mentioned could be averted by a more charitable reading of comments and a willingness to discuss ideas rather than attack persons. You're right. People screw up. It's going to happen. So should people who screw up -- and perhaps were unaware or framed something poorly -- be treated as The Enemy? no.
Yes. Is this the third time I've said this? I think you'all should go out and have a beer together. sheesh

Evan

Post by Evan »

Skepdirt is back on Twitter now.

BarnOwl

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

Post by BarnOwl »

Ophelia is a fucking training mannequin (sorry ... womynequin) for the DSM-IV section on personality disorders.
When Kimberley is not writing gibberish for newspapers, she writes books! Like these -

Bead One, Pray Too: A Guide to Making and Using Prayer Beads
Fabric of Faith: A Guide to the Prayer Quilt Ministry
Faith Beyond Faith Healing: Finding Hope After Shattered Dreams
Jeebus Parthenogenic Christ!!1!! My favorite social media site (Ravelry) is littered with that kind of crap. Fortunately, it's usually easy to avoid, through careful selection of groups.