Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote: This is really well done.

:-) "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'm still hoping for a tl;dr of the Novum Organum.
:-)
It's there in my signature line: "Therefore shoddy and inept application of words lays siege to the intellect in wondrous ways." ;-)
I always took that to be a threat.
Depends on what you mean that.

Rather too many "philosophers", political hacks, grifters, transloonie nutcases and their ilk are less interested in illumination than in obfuscation - for fun and prophet/profit; that's the "threat" that they entail, that's the "siege" of our sanity that they threaten:

Quotes_Nietzsche1A.jpg
(63.85 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Interesting thread from a "gender-critical" academic interested in "gender identity":
When it comes to gender identity, no one must speak freely. Everyone must speak in a language that constricts thought and expression alike. The truth of situations must be obscured, not clarified, wrapped in shadows, not brought into the light.

There's no desire to make the public understand, only to make people comply. In fact, the less the public knows and understands the better.

Generally speaking, if you have a cause that matters to you, if you have something to say, you want to speak as clearly as possible and to be understood. The last thing you want is to wring meaning from language. You can’t afford to confuse people.
https://elizamondegreen.substack.com/p/ ... bscure?s=r

But if that is meant as a shot at me, I have to wonder where, or if, you think I've been guilty of "shoddy and inept application of words". Pretty much my whole schtick has been an insistence that clear, precise, and logically consistent definitions are the only way of "lifting that siege", that we simply can not have a productive conversation if we can't even agree on common points of reference - which is what common definitions are all about.

They're the "axioms" of our discourse; if there are contradictions in them we shouldn't be surpised if the result turns out to be - as is too often the case - a madhouse; "from contradictions, anything follows":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_explosion

You seem to have some interest in and knowledge of biology and evolution so you might find these articles of some interest or relevance, "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences" by (Hungarian quantum physicist) Eugene Wigner, and "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics" by (American engineer) R.W. Hamming:

https://math.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDr ... igner.html
https://math.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDr ... mming.html

I've found Wigner's essay to be a bit "murkier" than Hamming's which seems to get down to the nitty-gritties far more directly and succinctly:
Our main tool for carrying out the long chains of tight reasoning required by science is mathematics. Indeed, mathematics might be defined as being the mental tool designed for this purpose. Many people through the ages have asked the question I am effectively asking in the title, "Why is mathematics so unreasonably effective?" In asking this we are merely looking more at the logical side and less at the material side of what the universe is and how it works. ....

Perhaps the best way to approach the question of what mathematics is, is to start at the beginning. In the far distant prehistoric past, where we must look for the beginnings of mathematics, there were already four major faces of mathematics. First, there was the ability to carry on the long chains of close reasoning that to this day characterize much of mathematics. ....

The earliest history of mathematics must, of course, be all speculation, since there is not now, nor does there ever seem likely to be, any actual, convincing evidence. It seems, however, that in the very foundations of primitive life there was built in, for survival purposes if for nothing else, an understanding of cause and effect. Once this trait is built up beyond a single observation to a sequence of, "If this, then that, and then it follows still further that . . . ," we are on the path of the first feature of mathematics I mentioned, long chains of close reasoning. But it is hard for me to see how simple Darwinian survival of the fittest would select for the ability to do the long chains that mathematics and science seem to require. ...
He maybe belabors the point about "long chains of close reasoning", but it's crucial not just to mathematics but to just about any area of discourse and political action: "If this, then that, and then it follows still further that ..."

But if our premises are contradictory right out of the chute, or if we change horses in midstream by changing the definitions or terms of reference in play, then we shouldn't be at all surpised if the conclusion, the result of that long chain of "if this then that else if the other thing ..." is outright nonsense - on stilts, fashionable or otherwise. Which is more or less exactly what happens in so much of woke dogma, critical race "theory", and postmodernist claptrap in general.

Rather brilliant elaboration on that theme by Aneris over at WEIT; saliently:
The second stereotypical trope of postmodernism is the confusion [by woke astronomer Chandra Prescod-Weinstein, author of "Making black women scientists under White Empiricism"] between relativism and relativity. As Sokal and Bricmont write: “in the former, points of view are subjective and irreconcilable; in the latter, space-time coordinates can be transformed unambiguously between reference frames”.
https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2021/12/ ... nt-1966568

Logical consistency, particularly in definitions, isn't just a picayune or irrelevant detail. It's often what our lives, cultures, and civilizations hang by a thread from.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Yeah, that was funny af and impeccably edited.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote: Ok: Define VAIDS.
Steersman wrote: It's a meaningless word that doesn't refer to anything real - like "unicorn"; just a pretext for conspiracy theories with as little justification:
Or so you insist.

To quote your own Vogon poetry:
you have your thumbs - to the elbows - on the scales.
Like the VAIDS 'fact-check' article, you insist on framing the discussion-- using a definition of VAIDS which intentionally ignores your Most formidable opponents-- focusing soley on the Least.

Below is an example of a VAIDS proponent. He's far-from the most formidable. Yet-- even-his description of VAIDS explicitly says that VAIDS IS NOT LITERALLY A FORM AIDS.

And hence-- you & the fact-check you cite-- are galavanting after strawmen, when you insist that Vaids Must Be Some Form Of HIV AIDS. Or some unicorn delusion.

you & the fact-checkers offer only non-sequitur arguments. You fail to address the claims of your opponents. You flee from dissent, rather than meet it head-on. And so You Lose the debate.

Thank you for quoting the part of the fact-check where they INSIST that VAIDS is a form of AIDS, and nothing else.
Steersman wrote:
Relative to the "VAIDS" "idea", you might try paying attention to what is actually being said there:
“AIDS is a generalized body-wide compromise of a specific subset of immune cells (mostly CD4+ lymphocytes) caused specifically by infection with the HIV-1 virus,” said Dr. Grant McFadden, director of the Biodesign Center for Immunotherapy, Vaccines and Virotherapy at Arizona State University. “There is no vaccine-induced counterpart of AIDS.” Given that billions of people around the world have already been vaccinated against COVID-19, McFadden said, “if such a thing as VAIDS existed, we would have detected it by now.”
https://archive.ph/yC2No#selection-577.1041-577.1385
You really might want to try picking up a "Biology For Dummies" type book; generally a useful series - I have several myself. Or even bookmark a bunch of Wikipedia articles thereon. But that might help to minimize the number of times you wind up with egg on your face.
Please: be specific! Exactly-which parts of your Biology For Dummies books debunk VAIDS? Let's see some citations!

I won't ask you for wikipedia links-- to support your biology claims. You'd wind up with ovulations on your face.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: <snip>

I always took that to be a threat.
If words are violence, Steersman is a 10th dan blackbelt at Kung Fuck-you.

(It's a good thing)
:-) Thanks.

Pen is often mightier than the sword and all that. Though when push comes to shove it's probably nice to have one of the latter in one's scabbard. :-)

But as I've just finished arguing in a comment to Matt, our "long chains of reasoning" are often very much dependent on our premises, on our prior assumptions - which can be very shaky indeed. Not sure if you're much of a fan of Indiana Jones, but the "Last Crusade" installment had, I thought, a rather brilliant illustration of the perils of putting too much faith in those assumptions:
Using the information in the diary and followed by Donovan and Elsa, Jones safely overcomes the traps (which include fast-moving saw blades, a word puzzle, and a hidden bridge over a bottomless pit) and reaches the Grail's chamber, which is guarded by a knight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_J ... usade#Plot

Wikipedia, somewhat surprisingly, doesn't go into a lot detail about that "hidden bridge over a bottomless pit", but seem to recollect that Jones had to put his feet on individual stones in a pathway across that bridge, one of which collapsed under him because he had made a wrong assumption or misinterpretation of some biblical lore. What I thought was a rather stark illustration of the consequences of wrong assumptions.

Something I expect that you may have an extra appreciation of - if I remember correctly, I think you had said your climbing accident was due to a misplaced faith in your equipment, anchor pins, or their attachment.

BTW, how are you doing on that score? Hope there's at least some improvement; any possibility of surgery to rectify any of the difficulties? I remember thinking - as a wee lad, a callow fellow - of taking up climbing, but think I realized that I would have been catatonic with fear that I had missed a step somewhere.

John D

Post by John D »

Came out the other end on my colonoscopy. No polyps. I will not need to do this again till I am 70.

The prep was rough. I stopped eating on Saturday. Went hungry with just clear liquids on Sunday. Hit the four Dolcolax starting at 3:00pm Sunday. Moved through me in 90 minutes. Then a whole jar of Miralax in Gatoraid. Got so bloated I vomited. I was worried I would have a problem with the inspection... but it went fine.

I am tired of shitting right about now. 15 times in the last 24 hours. Not quite back to normal but I should be fine tomorrow.

Yesh. Not a good two days except having a very positive outcome. Can't complain I guess.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
<snip>

Like the VAIDS 'fact-check' article, you insist on framing the discussion-- using a definition of VAIDS which intentionally ignores your Most formidable opponents-- focusing soley on the Least.

Below is an example of a VAIDS proponent. He's far-from the most formidable. Yet-- even-his description of VAIDS explicitly says that VAIDS IS NOT LITERALLY A FORM AIDS.

And hence-- you & the fact-check you cite-- are galavanting after strawmen, when you insist that Vaids Must Be Some Form Of HIV AIDS. Or some unicorn delusion.

https://i.imgur.com/Ex97pP1.png

you & the fact-checkers offer only non-sequitur arguments. You fail to address the claims of your opponents. You flee from dissent, rather than meet it head-on. And so You Lose the debate.
A whole boat-load of red herrings on the field, still flopping about. Calling you an idiot was being overly charitable, and unfair to idiots all across the land. You should write your own "For Dummies" book - "Doubling-Down For Dummies, by Dummies".

But for one thing, I rather doubt your PNG was from December of last year when AP made their post. Just back-fill by cretinous conspiracy theorists to cover the egg on their faces.

For a second, why called is it called "Vaccine Acquired Immunodeficiency Disease" unless it was egregious fear-mongering? To ride in on the coattails of that disease? "Sky's falling! "Sky's falling!" :roll:

Why not call it GDHISBV for "gradual destruction of the human immune system by vaccines"? Particularly since that is what some have described that supposed and quite hypothetical condition as.

And, pray tell, where is your evidence that there is any of that to begin with? :think: :roll:

And for a third, AP quotes some asshole saying that the "condition" is “similar to AIDS but caused by the C19 jabs.” What similarities? Particularly since there's no evidence of any condition to begin with. Idiots chasing their own tails, disappearing up their own fundaments.

Cretins. Being charitable.
Service Dog wrote: Thank you for quoting the part of the fact-check where they INSIST that VAIDS is a form of AIDS, and nothing else.
Steersman wrote:
Relative to the "VAIDS" "idea", you might try paying attention to what is actually being said there:
“AIDS is a generalized body-wide compromise of a specific subset of immune cells (mostly CD4+ lymphocytes) caused specifically by infection with the HIV-1 virus,” said Dr. Grant McFadden, director of the Biodesign Center for Immunotherapy, Vaccines and Virotherapy at Arizona State University. “There is no vaccine-induced counterpart of AIDS.” Given that billions of people around the world have already been vaccinated against COVID-19, McFadden said, “if such a thing as VAIDS existed, we would have detected it by now.”
https://archive.ph/yC2No#selection-577.1041-577.1385
<snip>
<snip>
What the fuck do you think VAIDS stands for there Sport? :roll:

You're grabbing at straws while holding tight onto your threadbare fig leaf of "NOT LITERALLY A FORM AIDS" (!!11!!)

Ignorant dickheads, hysterics, and conspiracy theorists used the VAIDS name to suggest "similarities" with actual AIDS for their own "agitprop" "reasons". AP showed there were absolutely none of the claimed "similarities", no "gradual destruction of the human immune system by vaccines"; they were showing it was an entirely bogus term - no substance or value at all to it, even figuratively speaking.

VAIDS: "a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons." To coin a phrase.

John D

Post by John D »

If either of you mention VAIDs again I will find you and give you AIDS myself… and don’t think I can’t do it!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: I will find you and give you AIDS myself… and don’t think I can’t do it!
Oh no you can't!

I already have AIDS, and Steersman IS AIDS.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Teachers are totally not grooming little kids in school.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

To the closest approximation to 1, The Pit is about things that either going into or coming out of buttholes.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote: BTW, how are you doing on that score? Hope there's at least some improvement; any possibility of surgery to rectify any of the difficulties?
I've had all of the healing hands that money can buy - surgery (slightly improved my mobility and pain/ache reduction), physio-terrorism (beautiful wee blonde lass, quite upper class*, tortured me on a daily basis - "it's for your own good" was her catchphrase) and a course of barely explained injections into my knees that burned like acid but worked wonders...for about a week. Now I'm done with all of that, my knees are buggered, my lower back has more "snap, crackle and pop" than a bowl of breakfast cereal and on a good day, I can just about walk without looking like a drunken chimp wearing a shat nappy. On a bad day, I make involuntary noises/curses when I hobble around and look like the aforementioned pissed-up primate.

Still, can't complain, it's a solid excuse for skipping countless bullshit activities my family attempt to drag me into - birthday parties for kids (no, just no!), watching the kids/uncle duties, driving for my drunk sister-in-law and her coterie of cackling/leering friends (they treat my car like a taxi - leave trash in the back seat, they smoke even though I make it abundantly clear that my car is a no smoking vehicle) or anything that's remotely arse-ache inducing.

Obviously, if it suits me, the rubble that is my carcass makes a miraculous recovery and I'm there, front-and-center with knobs on!
Steersman wrote: I remember thinking - as a wee lad, a callow fellow - of taking up climbing, but think I realized that I would have been catatonic with fear that I had missed a step somewhere.
It's a great way to spend a day; you get a beast of a workout, build up a monster appetite for food & booze and is a great way to bond with your social group. Also, it's a gradual process - you start with learning to use your rig/gear, how to maintain and inspect your kit (vital skill!), progress to a period of "bouldering" at a very low/easy rating then, as your confidence and abilities improve, you move to higher and more tricky climbs. It's a personal pace - if you're not happy with a suggested climb, you don't do it - if anyone tries to pressure you into a route you don't want to do, you jettison the bugger from your circle of friends and stick with a chilled out group. It's supposed to move you out of your comfort zone and be a challenge - it's not meant to be a suicide attempt disguised as an outdoor activity.

The cadets I used to climb with loved spending a day on the rocks and other than one or two "wobbler" episodes, none of them ever broke down in tears or refused to take part.

* I took an almost perverse pleasure in horrifying her with tales of drunken insanity, pub car-park wrestling all over Europe, borderline psychotic antics on tour and numerous other sparkling conversation topics. She tortured me physically, I tortured her mentally. Still, she was smoking hot - I'd have worn her ass like a gas-mask!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: To the closest approximation to 1, The Pit is about things that either going into or coming out of buttholes.
Zinnia and "her" stank pussy in 3...2...1...

https://imageresizer.static9.net.au/v3O ... -retch.gif

Keating

Post by Keating »

Obligatory "How the Sausage Is Made" post

https://www.bitchute.com/video/KtbIdjx8741G/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:46 pm

a drunken chimp wearing a shat nappy.

remotely arse-ache inducing.

the bugger

I'd have worn her ass like a gas-mask!
See?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

the bugger

See?
To be honest, that's a bit unfair on everyone else. You can hardly expect a decent standard of conversation from me...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:40 am
MarcusAu wrote: Heinlein
Oh man-- I'm still recovering from the long version of Stranger in a Strange Land... waaaay TMI. The editor who insisted it be pared-down did him a huge favor.

Cuck in a Carrier Land... nope nope nope no sir no thanks.

I've been reading some of the Phillip Jose Farmer 'Wold Newton' books...

...but not out loud to other people.

I think he did a short story as (William) Burroughs writing Tarzan too - which was...interesting.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

the bugger

See?
To be honest, that's a bit unfair on everyone else. You can hardly expect a decent standard of conversation from me...
:-) "What's this 'couth' shit?" ;-)

https://medium.com/illumination/an-old- ... 8a6088b508

As my father - gawd rest his soul - used to say, we are all born amidst piss and shit; doesn't get a helluva lot better after that. And then we die ...

But somewhat amused to see the provenance of the quip:
*We are born amidst piss and shit
Inter faeces et urinam nascimur....
Quo me amat amat et canam meum.
St. Bernard of Clairvaux
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_of_Clairvaux

https://haquelebac.files.wordpress.com/ ... is-one.pdf

Ostensibly in any case, though it may be just something of a shaggy-dog story ...

But pretty much the same as the quips that we're all just "meat puppets", just "ambulatory sacks of sea water" - which are far too easily punctured.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
<snip>

I've been reading some of the Phillip Jose Farmer 'Wold Newton' books...

...but not out loud to other people.

I think he did a short story as (William) Burroughs writing Tarzan too - which was...interesting.
Yea - that's definitely beyond the pale ... ;-)

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

RE: The NYC subway shooting incident today. The shooter was reportedly black. From the videos and still shots I’ve seen so far, the people with gunshot wounds all appear to be Asian. I saw some blacks getting off the train coughing, but not bleeding. So far, no one that I’ve heard on TV has mentioned a possible Black on Asian hate crime. And no, I’m not surprised.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

mordacious1 wrote: RE: The NYC subway shooting incident today. The shooter was reportedly black. From the videos and still shots I’ve seen so far, the people with gunshot wounds all appear to be Asian. I saw some blacks getting off the train coughing, but not bleeding. So far, no one that I’ve heard on TV has mentioned a possible Black on Asian hate crime. And no, I’m not surprised.
Shit... that would explain why- that particular train stop was selected. This is Sunset Park:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

That trading company will trigger a lot of feminists.

Man Li?

Manly?

No?

I'll get me coat...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

That's the absolute first thing I thought, too...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well, it looks like Gilbert Gottfried has been cancelled.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: Well, it looks like Gilbert Gottfried has been cancelled.
Guess it's down to Fran Drescher narrating my biopic.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I know we've never discussed inflation, but it has been a concern for 3, 6, 9 or more months now:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I understand that Alex Jones is a bit short on cash - if you want to send business his way.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I understand that Alex Jones is a bit short on cash - if you want to send business his way.
My daughter's trans male partner sounds just like Gottfried so there are options. Find any trans male and they sound like Gottfried. The problem is that they have no sense of humor... so that is a hurdle.

It is called T-flu.

John D

Post by John D »

The navel gazing is fucking amazing.... and Jackson Bird sounds like my daughter's partner. A bit of a tweak and they can sound exactly like Gottfried. Haha.

What amazes me is that this is 100% performative... but trans people say they are doing this for themselves. My fucking head explodes.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
:-)
The booster's enthusiasm is the motive force which builds up our American cities. Granted. But the hated knocker's jibes are the check necessary to guide that force. In summary then, we do not wish to knock the booster, but we certainly do wish to boost the knocker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boosterism

Wikipedia - The People's Encyclopedia! (tm) ... ;-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote (getting server error ...):

The navel gazing is fucking amazing.... and Jackson Bird sounds like my daughter's partner. A bit of a tweak and they can sound exactly like Gottfried. Haha.

What amazes me is that this is 100% performative... but trans people say they are doing this for themselves. My fucking head explodes
Seem to recollect you follow NPR; if so then you and your trans-poly daughter and "friend" might like this for some serious "head exploding" ...:
Manhunt is a paragon of body horror, and its numerous sex scenes are no exception. The prose is simultaneously erotic and gruesome. Felker-Martin writes into dissociation and the dysphoric insecurities of her characters. ....

And eventually, "the Knights of J.K. Rowling" do come for our protagonists, hard. While the feral men pose a hazard to them — and serve as portents of warning, should Beth and Fran run out of estrogen — the band of TERFs, called "the Legion," are the true villains of the book. In one scene, a Legion squad breaks into a house occupied by a group of trans women. The TERFs capture them, line them up in the back of the house, and take aim.

"'That's not a woman,'" says one TERF, Ramona, to another. "'It's just a man in disguise." ....
https://www.npr.org/2022/03/14/10863991 ... eral-beast

Madder than hatters ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Steersman wrote: BTW, how are you doing on that score? Hope there's at least some improvement; any possibility of surgery to rectify any of the difficulties?
I've had all of the healing hands that money can buy - surgery (slightly improved my mobility and pain/ache reduction), physio-terrorism (beautiful wee blonde lass, quite upper class*, tortured me on a daily basis - "it's for your own good" was her catchphrase) and a course of barely explained injections into my knees that burned like acid but worked wonders...for about a week. Now I'm done with all of that, my knees are buggered, my lower back has more "snap, crackle and pop" than a bowl of breakfast cereal and on a good day, I can just about walk without looking like a drunken chimp wearing a shat nappy. On a bad day, I make involuntary noises/curses when I hobble around and look like the aforementioned pissed-up primate. ....

* I took an almost perverse pleasure in horrifying her with tales of drunken insanity, pub car-park wrestling all over Europe, borderline psychotic antics on tour and numerous other sparkling conversation topics. She tortured me physically, I tortured her mentally. Still, she was smoking hot - I'd have worn her ass like a gas-mask!
Sorry to hear that; sucks big time. Though there seems to have been a few benefits to soften the blow ... ;-)

This may not be much of a consolation, but interesting story about a climber who had both legs amputated below the knees because of serious frostbite in a climbing accident:

https://www.media.mit.edu/posts/augment ... hugh-herr/

Video showing him climbing after designing his own prosthetic legs.
Bhurzum wrote: Still, can't complain, it's a solid excuse for skipping countless bullshit activities my family attempt to drag me into - birthday parties for kids (no, just no!), watching the kids/uncle duties, driving for my drunk sister-in-law and her coterie of cackling/leering friends (they treat my car like a taxi - leave trash in the back seat, they smoke even though I make it abundantly clear that my car is a no smoking vehicle) or anything that's remotely arse-ache inducing. ....
Never should have given women the vote, much less allowed them to be smoking. Bare-foot, pregnant and in the kitchen ... ;-)

But rather amused to run across a quote of Richard Feynman along that line, even if it may justify some of the charges of sexism against him:
It turned out that one girl was explaining to the other how to knit argyle socks. I, therefore, did learn a lesson: The female mind is capable of understanding analytic geometry. Those people who have for years been insisting (in the face of all obvious evidence to the contrary) that the male and female are equally capable of rational thought may have something. The difficulty may just be that we have never yet discovered a way to communicate with the female mind. If it is done in the right way, you may be able to get something out of it.
http://www.feynman.com/science/what-is-science/

I gather you're not a big fan of Nicola - with a great deal of justification, but seems she's in something of a hot seat over her inability to say whether some women can have penises or not:
Nicola Sturgeon evidently regarded Self-ID as the new frontier of progressive legislation. With the minimum of public discussion, she committed the Scottish Government to abolishing the very definition of woman as “adult human female”. (That phrase is regarded as hate speech by some police forces).
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/182 ... pAJDrCyERg

Ignorant twat. "Women's rights" may have a few thorns on them, but still a great deal of sympathy for their campaign in upcoming UK elections - including in Scotland? - characterized by the slogan, "Respect my sex if you want my X":

https://archive.ph/FLHFI

Historian Barbara Tuchman said that "the English love nothing so much as a political crisis". And the one over "self-identification" - a more cretinous idea is scarcely imaginable, at least short of the trinity ... - is shaping up to be a doozy. :-)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:00 am
You got this dog. You can read their minds... just like you do with all your clients.
This advice has been a useful guiding compass.

And... even when the compass doesn't-work... that lack-of-data has also been useful.

At first... I thought it was like a horoscope: like when I read today's advice for my 'sign'... maybe it matches my predicaments.

yet, Even When the horoscope is wildly inapplicable to me... that contrast can serve as a juxtaposition against-which to view my situation.

(My brother says he's an "Anti-Libra." He says horoscopes are random nonsense, except: "I always read what it says for Libra, & not-even-once has it ever described anything in my life, or given me good advice.")

However...

Now I have a better hypothesis... for why my mind-reading compass is sometimes useless...

My hypothesis is Michael Malice's claim that "NPC"s have no mind. The example he gives-- is a drug store cashier who is utterly confused-- when the total is $6... and Malice gives a twenty And A Single.

The guy who hired me... is like that. I'm going to call him Zoo. Short for Zoolander. He's actually a tall handsome smooth-faced male model type. But if you were casting on SNL to mock him... yeah, you'd choose Ben Stiller. I also think of him as Pierce Bronson Pinchot. The looks of a young Pierce Bronson. The brains of a young Bronson Pinchot character.

I was gonna talk about bossman Zoo being a brainfart in yesterday's meeting with the client & almost getting us all fired/ but instead we walked-out of the meeting like end of the 1st act-- of an Ocean's 11 heist movie. We just barely avoided prison-- and have been offered a tantalizing prize... but *Everything* could go wrong... between now & success.

I'm burying the lede. I'm dancing-around getting to the point. The real news is that GF's dad didn't wake-up this morning, at the nursing home. He's alive. His brain doesn't show a stroke on the CAT scan. His bloodwork is good. He's got a 101 fever & moisture in his breathing passages... but negative for covid & respiratory stuff like pneumonia. Next step is an MRI-- which may show a stroke in his sleep (which the CAT scan missed). If that's what it is-- sometimes they wake-up/ and sometimes they never-do. GF is at the hospital with her sisters. She has seen both her parents be intubated before... so she has been down this road before. When the old man was first admitted to the nursing home... he marked every Do Resuscitate option. After 2 years of not being allowed outdoors-- and very limited visitation-- and watching others die on ventilators... he changed everything to no-intubation/ Let Me Die. I hope it doesn't come to that. I want to wheelchair him out to Chinatown restaurants... and the bustling streetlife he loved.

Meanwhile, I took another meeting today, with a greybeard audio engineer who has worked with artists like David Byrne... Matthew Barney & devising all sorts of weird devices, like this (below).
He brought a lot of calm & authority into the room. And instead of NPC vapidity... substance.

They captured the van-rental suspect in that subway shooting... spotting him at the 1st Ave/6th Street McDonalds... a landmark of sorts, near me. They busted him 'strolling' on St. Mark's Place. He's being described as an anti-white racist. But he sounds like a a plain old crank to me. Sometimes he complains about 'negros', or whites, or Ketanji Brown Jackson having a white husband ("You'd never expect it. They don't show him on TV. And with that name... it sounds like he'd be black. Mr. Jackson. Or Mr. Brown. But no... he's Mister White.") Not an exact quote, but... pretty much like that. He doesn't sound different from Dave Chapelle.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brosnan.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Did someone mention inflation? This post talks about why it is not a classic case of too much money chasing too few goods (i.e. caused by printing money):

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartb ... is-hurting

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: Did someone mention inflation? This post talks about why it is not a classic case of too much money chasing too few goods (i.e. caused by printing money):

Does it matter? Inflation was not 'transitory' -- it's continued to climb for a year and keeps on going.

But anyone who sez printing trillions of dollars doesn't drive inflation is full of shit. And this Tooze guy sounds like a master bullshit guru:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article ... ofile.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/podc ... tooze.html

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote: Did someone mention inflation? This post talks about why it is not a classic case of too much money chasing too few goods (i.e. caused by printing money):

Your boy Adam Tooze claims 'wages are not rising' ... but a strict definition of 'wages' fails to account for unprecedented ways Biden is printing money. Not just unprecidented amounts.

For example: the freeze on student loan payments. In a temporary sense-- it's as-if Biden is printing money and paying everyone's monthly student loan payment... month after month after month. Sure-- that "pay raise' will eventually evaporate. But the key thing is... College Educated Liberal Retards are living AS IF it's free money.

Same with the eviction ban: many many people treated this as Joe Biden Printing Money And Paying My Rent month after month. Yeah, they eventually get evicted... but for the duratino being-discussed... it was like a Wage Increase.

I know of MANY businesses which were basically Wiped Out over the last 2 years of Covid Lockdowns. Bars, restaurants, tourist destinations, public events with crowds of spectators. Based on those businesses' actual productive revenues... they were Wiped Out... All The Employees Fired... Everyone's wages fell to ZERO. Buuuuuut thanks to Joe Biden printing money to prop up corpse businesses.... even employees who Broke Even or Took A Wage Cut... got a 100% RAISE above the the zero dollars their employers actually earned from actual paying-customer commerce. "Paid to do nothing" is an immense wage inflation-- disguised as business-as-usual.

You can listen to Lsuoma & Tooze & Kelton's voodoo economics... which make a lot of wild claims... and reality doesn't match 3, 6, 9 months later.

Or you can listen to me... and I'll describe the most conventional boring economics circa 1985... and all my predictions will come true... again.

Look at the puny bump-up in the Fed rate... what's it at now? Up from Point Zero Eighths of a percent... to Point Two Tenths of a percent?

And that tiny blip has resulted in a 40% decrease in applications for new mortgages.
Bye-bye housing market. And then bye-bye housing prices & values. And bye-bye the overextended leveraged lifestyles of homeowners. (Turns-out that was artificial quasti-'wage' inflation, too!) Bye-bye to the construction industry! People will be begging for global warming to cause Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Derachos, Wildfires... ANYTHING to force rebuilding to reboot the economy. Except it will be like after a 3-day BLM riot... old downtown Kenosha never gets rebuilt.

--

I admit... only read a fraction of Toozer's post... before writing the above. I didn't even get to this part:

"If you are the Biden administration facing the midterms in November, the surge in petrol prices is a nightmare. But once adjusted for general inflation, the current rate of petrol prices in the US, is still some way short of historic highs."

This is a North Korean Parrot Song-- already sung by a bunch of Biden apologists. And roundly mocked by people Lsuoma refuses to read. If not for inflation-- inflation wouldn't be high! If not for the Afghanistan casualties, Biden's body count would be lower. If not for the acquittals in the Whitmer kidnapping hoax trials-- and the January 6 guy who was waved-in to the Capitol by police... the Democrat's false flag hoaxes wouldn't be hoaxes.

Washington Post columnist Jennifer Rubin was mocked by critics Monday for claiming the U.S. economy under President Joe Biden was "extraordinary," and would be "one of the most successful in history," if not for inflation.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/washingto ... -inflation

"If it weren't for driving into that stupid iceberg, the Titanic captain's performance would be unmatched," joked America Matters Executive Director Jim Hanson, while TAG Strategies Vice President Erin Perrine wrote, "If it weren’t for the fact I can’t sing or dance, I could be the next Britney Spears."

"If only it wasn’t for that very big thing that impacts everyone and particularly low and middle income earners most…," wrote Fox News contributor Joe Concha, as former Director of Strategic Communications for the 2020 Trump presidential campaign joked, "If it weren't for the fact I have an 11 handicap, I could win the Masters this weekend."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Jen Psaki Says Biden Will “Assess Every Month” If Americans Will Ever Have To Repay Student Loans

(if it goes on for more than one year-over-year inflation tracking period... that's enough to count as a money-printing 'wage increase'... in my book)

Keating

Post by Keating »

Agree with the general principle, if not the specifics. I think the biggest cause is governments following China off a cliff with lockdowns/restrictions. The flow on effects of destroying just-in-time supply lines (which was arguably something we never should have done in the first place), is the primary cause of the coming financial disaster. Money printing and Russia just put it into turbo drive. The rest of this decade is going to be pretty scary.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

In case anyone was wondering...

John D

Post by John D »

Macroeconomics 101

Took this course is 1981

There is this thing that is theoretically called the demand curve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_curve

So... if supply goes down then prices rise.

So... if demand goes up then prices rise.

This is fucking basic shit. This is so well understood that it is more like an axiom than a theory. It only takes you about an hour of thinking to decide this is a basic truth. Open your fucking head for an hour.... and suck this idea in... and your life will be changed.

Well then... what has happened is that the supply for most things has declined recently. This was mostly caused by Covid disruptions. The supply of many things is still very restricted and limited. This means prices will go up.

Also, governments in many countries have increased their debt to give people money. This money was provided for "free" in a sense that the money was not paid in a way that would increase supply. This means prices will go up.

Increasing the money supply through government debt will increase prices. THIS IS BASIC SHIT. Anyone who denies this is a special kind of idiot. Delaying debt payments for loans WILL have some effect on increasing prices. THIS IS BASIC SHIT.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

More details emerge... on Biden's dogs's 8 day biting spree... and the White House cover-up...

NYPOST:

‘Now I’m pissed’: Secret Service agents outraged by White House spin over First Dog bites

By Steven Nelson
April 13, 2022 5:42pm

Secret Service agents were outraged last year by the White House’s attempt to downplay bite injuries caused by then-first dog Major — even trying to get President Biden to personally pay for a damaged coat, newly released documents show.

Secret Service leaders also sought to keep attack details out of official paperwork — at one point rejecting an agent’s “excessively detailed” account to avoid upsetting the first family — after Major bit agents on eight consecutive days.

The records, released in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by Judicial Watch, show that attacks occurred both earlier and later than previously known.

They also show internal discord at the Secret Service, which has been embroiled since last week in a bizarre infiltration scandal that involves at least four agents.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki acknowledged just one biting incident at a briefing on March 9, 2021, saying that one day earlier “the first family’s younger dog, Major, was surprised by an unfamiliar person and reacted in a way that resulted in a minor injury to the individual.”

The March 8 bite actually was the final attack in an eight-day streak and the wounded agent — whose injuries were categorized as “severe” by a colleague — fumed about Psaki’s spin.

“NO I didn’t surprise the dog doing my job by being at [redacted] as the press secretary just said! Now I’m pissed,” the agent wrote to a coworker.

The colleague replied, “SMH. .. hope you didn’t get hurt to [sic] bad.”

Another message written by an unknown Secret Service employee refers to photos of the bite area and said the “injury cannot be described in any other term than ‘severe’.”

The incident occurred at about 7 a.m. on March 8 as the agent was in the second-floor White House residential area with first lady Jill Biden.

“Without warning or provocation, Major barked loudly at [the agent] … and charged,” is how a newly released, heavily redacted incident report describes what happened.

“Having no time to seek cover from the attack, [the agent] turned away from the dog as he bit into [redacted] right leg,” the account added.

About an hour later, President Biden’s then-chief protective agent David Cho wrote in an email: “Major bit one of the agents this morning. The agent is ok, but does have bruising and a puncture.”

The agent was bitten by Major a second time, but it is unclear when. They were “the only known PPD [Presidential Protective Division] agent to h[a]ve suffered two attacks from Major in less than 10 days,” according to a June email.

Photos of injuries were redacted in the records, but one photo that was released shows an agent’s wool overcoat that was ripped on March 6 as the president and first lady returned indoors from the White House Tennis Pavilion.

“As Major came around the corner, he attacked me unprovoked, tearing the wool overcoat I was wearing that evening,” the agent wrote in a first-hand account two months later as he sought reimbursement. “This attack occurred through no fault of my own and I could not avoid this unusual circumstance due to the nature and requirements of my position.”

An unidentified Secret Service employee reprimanded the agent, writing, “Please submit with the language that has been approved by [the legal office]. Unless you dispute anything in the verbiage that was presented to you, there shouldn’t be a need to embellish with additional details that aren’t required for approval.”

“If you would like to submit a separate memo to- memorializing the events of 3/6 :violin: in great
detail, you certainly may. But your added language on the [form] provides more specificity that what [the legal office] requested. I have been told that if you update the [request] with the approved verbiage, your request will be processed.”

Another email blasts the bitten agent’s account as “excessively detailed and inappropriate” and states that “I was asked to have him submit with the language that has already been approved by [the legal office]. Not sure if he will or not. I don’t think it’s about the money anymore.”

A memo said Secret Service officials “explained the delicateness of the situation, in terms of potential damage in the trust of our protectees” to the bitten agent.

The agent ultimately withdrew his request for reimbursement, saying the first family should have to pay for the damage rather than the Secret Service.

“After some deep thought and reflection, I don’t believe the USSS should be responsible for the damage to my coat as the cause was not under their control. To be compensated in this manner would essentially have the cost borne by the tax payer and this would be unjust,” the agent wrote, adding: “the responsibility should lie with the party responsible for the wrong doing (i.e. tort), and that of course would be the dog owner/s.”

It’s unclear if President Biden paid for the [Ralph Lauren] coat, which was valued at more than $500 according to one document.

Psaki did not respond to The Post’s request to comment on the agent’s criticism of her spin or say whether Biden paid for the agent’s coat. The Secret Service also declined to comment.

“These documents show Major was a dangerous dog and the Biden White House lied about it, placing Secret Service and other White House personnel at needless risk,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.

“And it seems the Secret Service management seemed more concerned about managing press relations than taking care of its agents. In fact, the agency is still withholding information about this mess!”

Major was given to family friends late last year, the White House said, but his present whereabouts are unknown. Since his departure, Biden’s elder German shepherd, Champ, died and the first family acquired a new puppy of the same breed, named Commander.

The full timeline revealed by the documents indicates that agents were bitten in two previously unreported incidents on Feb. 28, 2022 – first around 9 a.m. and then around 7 p.m. – at Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware.

In the first attack of the day, the dog charged across a lawn and an agent “turned around to avoid a direct attack,” and got bitten in their right thigh. A photo taken a week later showed an “oval shape” bruise that “demonstrates the outline of the dog’s closed jaws.”

Later in the day, President Biden took his older dog Champ inside but left Major outdoors.

“Almost immediately after the door had shut, [the agent] observed Major running at [redacted] full stride from the main driveway” and the agent “quickly made an effort to seek shelter inside…[but] Major intercepted [the agent] and bit down on their] left forearm,” according to the documents.

The agent “quickly shook Major off,” but then “briefly turned [their] back on Major and the dog bit [redacted] a second time on the right buttock.”

“Approximately 15 minutes after this attack, POTUS Biden opened the front door to let Major into the residence,” according to the email.

The March attacks gained significant press attention, but were not the last.

A Secret Service agent wrote in an email that on May 12, “Out of nowhere the dog jumps and bites the sleeve of my suit jacket missing my arm (front teeth just scratching the top of the skin). As I lift my arm up the dog was still attached to my suit jacket and the First Lady was attempting to pull the dog off of me via the leash.”

Biden fractured his foot in November 2020 while playing with Major in Delaware. The then-president-elect said that he tugged the dog’s tail after a shower, then tripped on a rug.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote: Macroeconomics 101

Took this course is 1981

This is fucking basic shit. This is so well understood that it is more like an axiom than a theory. It only takes you about an hour of thinking to decide this is a basic truth. Open your fucking head for an hour.... and suck this idea in... and your life will be changed.

Well then... what has happened is that the supply for most things has declined recently. This was mostly caused by Covid disruptions. The supply of many things is still very restricted and limited. This means prices will go up.

Also, governments in many countries have increased their debt to give people money. This money was provided for "free" in a sense that the money was not paid in a way that would increase supply. This means prices will go up.

Increasing the money supply through government debt will increase prices. THIS IS BASIC SHIT. Anyone who denies this is a special kind of idiot. Delaying debt payments for loans WILL have some effect on increasing prices. THIS IS BASIC SHIT.
Classical economics is not a science - it's mainly applying what people think happened last time to what they think will happen in the future. It's bullshit. Your dogmatism is bullshit too. As it what Cavvers is full of (though is might be equine, not bovine).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Star Trek: Diversity Discovery recently featured Stacey Abrams as 'President of United Earth'. Now, Star Trek: Woketard Picard has the crew going back in time to present-day LA to beat up ICE agents and free illegal immigrants undocumented persons.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/ky ... immigrants

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Star Trek: Diversity Discovery recently featured Stacey Abrams as 'President of United Earth'. Now, Star Trek: Woketard Picard has the crew going back in time to present-day LA to beat up ICE agents and free illegal immigrants undocumented persons.

They did bring back one of my favourite classic Trek characters though...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: ... unprecedented ways Biden is printing money. Not just unprecidented amounts.
It's axiomatic that if you print trillions of more dollars, the value of each dollar goes down. But they did it while simultaneously reducing the GNP. So, not just more dollars for the same amount of product, but more for less.

You can listen to Lsuoma & Tooze & Kelton's voodoo economics... which make a lot of wild claims... and reality doesn't match 3, 6, 9 months later.
Normally, the fact that someone is adored by Ezra Klein is enough for me to know they are crap. But I went and read the two pieces I linked. There's nothing of substance in them -- Tooze is a random meme generator. I did see an allusion to how Tooze has previously argued that, like Marxism, Keynesian economics is sound, it's just that no true Keynesian economics has been tried yet. Which explains his guru superstar status among the Big Government Social Engineering Left. Curiously, Tooze's mumbo-jumbo seems to appeal to anarchist/libertarians as well.

IDK whether Lsuoma was always a Toozer Bro, or he was just scrounging for some way to avoid admitting his prediction, that inflation would be long gone by now, was wrong.

"If you are the Biden administration facing the midterms in November, the surge in petrol prices is a nightmare. But once adjusted for general inflation, the current rate of petrol prices in the US, is still some way short of historic highs."
Whistling past the graveyard by out-of-touch elites. The anger over prices among ordinary folks is palpable. That ugly toad, Yellen, squeaking that, well actually it's not as bad as you peasants think it is, fools nobody but themselves.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Lsuoma wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:46 am
Classical economics is not a science - it's mainly applying what people think happened last time to what they think will happen in the future. It's bullshit. Your dogmatism is bullshit too. As it what Cavvers is full of (though is might be equine, not bovine).
So let's do what caused the problem last time, in unprecedented amounts, because we just know that what always happened before definitely won't happen now. Now it is a science?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Star Trek: Diversity Discovery recently featured Stacey Abrams as 'President of United Earth'. Now, Star Trek: Woketard Picard has the crew going back in time to present-day LA to beat up ICE agents and free illegal immigrants undocumented persons.

Note the year of this turning point in history, 2024, the year the dread Trumpenfuhrer threatens another attack. If Trump wins the future is Nazi.

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:
John D wrote: Macroeconomics 101

Took this course is 1981

Special Kind of Idiot. Reducing supply of goods and increasing fiat money in the economy has always caused inflation before.... but it will not do so now because.... science!

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:
John D wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:00 am
You got this dog. You can read their minds... just like you do with all your clients.
This advice has been a useful guiding compass.

I'm burying the lede. I'm dancing-around getting to the point. The real news is that GF's dad didn't wake-up this morning, at the nursing home. He's alive. His brain doesn't show a stroke on the CAT scan. His bloodwork is good. He's got a 101 fever & moisture in his breathing passages... but negative for covid & respiratory stuff like pneumonia. Next step is an MRI-- which may show a stroke in his sleep (which the CAT scan missed). If that's what it is-- sometimes they wake-up/ and sometimes they never-do. GF is at the hospital with her sisters. She has seen both her parents be intubated before... so she has been down this road before. When the old man was first admitted to the nursing home... he marked every Do Resuscitate option. After 2 years of not being allowed outdoors-- and very limited visitation-- and watching others die on ventilators... he changed everything to no-intubation/ Let Me Die. I hope it doesn't come to that. I want to wheelchair him out to Chinatown restaurants... and the bustling streetlife he loved.

My mother-in-law wanted the docs to do EVERYTHING possible to keep her alive. In the end she was so ill they couldn't get her off the vent. Her organs were failing and she had an untreatable bacterial infection. To visit her you needed to put on a full gown and mask so you would not catch the infection she had. God... it was fucking horrifying... really... the worst thing that ever happened to my wife and I. My wife's fibromyalgia went crazy during this time and she never really recovered... ultimately with the fibro destroying her ability to lead a normal life. Finally... it was New Years Eve... the docs said to my wife... "Hey... your mom is totally unconscious and she will not return. We would like to make her comfortable." and so... with permission from my wife to make her comfortable they gave her a lethal dose of morphine and she stopped breathing. It was finally over. God damn.... we suck at dying in this current day. Really, I think the stress of this put my wife over the edge. She was never the same after this. I should have done more but I was not wise enough to see what would happen.

Thankfully, my dad was ready to leave this mortal coil. He told me "John, I am ready to go... I am ready to be with Jesus." He was totally serious. He thought that his belief in Jesus saved his life. He asked for no extraordinary help in the end. No vent. And when the docs said we would like to make him comfortable we said yes. And he slipped away on his little bed in the nursing home. I feel blessed that my old man knew that it was time to go. It takes some guts to say that you are done.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

In this old guy's case... he's not afraid of dying, or unaware what it means. He's got a dark sense of humor: when he said "do EVERYTHING" it was like "Ha ha, I get the last laugh. You won't get rid of me THAT easily!"

And when he switched to DNR... it's the opposite choice/ same attitude. He fell down so often-- he was singlehandedly hurting the nursing home's rating for patient care. But he'd rather fall than give-up trying to walk unassisted... so fuck their rating. But if a stroke would make him a docile invalid who doesn't fall anymore... then "Ha ha! I'd rather Die!... than let you collect payment-- for taking care of a vegetable who doesn't even fall down!"

Today he regained consciousness enough to recognize family... and try to talk... but the words are gibberish & he gets exhausted trying to communicate... slips back into non-responsive slumber. He's like a boxer struggling to recover from a knockout.

He pointed at a tray of food... and a water bottle... but they won't let him have any... for fear he'll cough on it & asphixiate. So IV only. But he's hungry & thirsty... which is good. He's a person still & can ask for what he wants/ even without words.

Yeah, this could turn into a prolonged nightmare. But I suspect he's got got a couple more cards up his sleeve, first.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Sometimes I think that I'd like to make Steersman comfortable.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

fuzzy wrote: Sometimes I think that I'd like to make Steersman comfortable.
Just mix a little fentanyl in his oil can. Easy peasy.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

John D wrote:God damn.... we suck at dying in this current day.
Check out "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End" by Atul Gawande. It's basically the bible of your sentiment I quoted. Very good read, and it's the last book my mother ever read, shortly before she died. It brought her some peace at the end.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

:-) Me "comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable" chapping your hide there pardner? ... ;-)

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/wins ... ill_135210

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:
Just mix a little fentanyl in his oil can. Easy peasy.
:-) Bit bucket ... ;-)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:
John D wrote:God damn.... we suck at dying in this current day.
Check out "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End" by Atul Gawande. It's basically the bible of your sentiment I quoted. Very good read, and it's the last book my mother ever read, shortly before she died. It brought her some peace at the end.
Seem to recollect that my siblings and I read from "Tuesdays with Morrie" with my mother - gawd rest her soul - when she was on her deathbed. Not sure if that wasn't more for us than for her; she didn't seem to be grasping at any straws as she was checking out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuesdays_with_Morrie

Reminds me of Eric MacDonald, and his blog - no longer active - titled Choice in Dying, who Jerry Coyne often touted:

https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2011/07/ ... free-will/

MacDonald had taken his wife to Switzerland to the Dignitas clinic because she was suffering from debilitating MLS. But one thing stuck in my mind from, I think, his blog about the final day when the doctors brought around the potion. MacDonald had described how disappointed he had been when his wife, Elizabeth, hadn't even stopped to say goodbye before practically inhaling it, so desperate she was to be free from the pain. Something of a sad story all around - ask not for whom the bell tolls and all that.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... _life.html

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

DSCN1363 (2).JPG
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 52 times