Old subthreads
VickyCaramel

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by VickyCaramel »

Old_ones wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 pm
VickyCaramel wrote:
Keating wrote: I thought Douglas Murray was the new Hitchens
Douglas Murray is definitely the new hitchens.
Jordan Peterson is the new Sam Harris. Somebody should get Murry and Peterson together.
We don't need a new Sam Harris. The old one isn't broken.

Jordan Peterson is his own thing. He's a proponent of religion and traditional culture, and he has very idiosyncratic ideas about what truth is when it comes to mythology. Not very Harris like at all.
Actually there is a direct comparison there. Harris is a neurologist and found something of interest and value in buddhism. While Peterson is a psychologist who has found something of interest and value in Christian mythology... which is actually rather interesting. The idea that there is truth about human nature in pagan mythology is hardly new and hardly pie in the sky. However, Christians usually use their religion to discover truths about god not man, I think that is more of a Jewish tradition. I am rather interested to see Peterson look at Christianity through this lense, although I admit I have been avoiding it until he does a long video or writes a book giving the subject a thorough going over.

I would argue that Harris has always been broken, I just haven't quite put my finger on where he goes wrong beyond ignoring evidence which doesn't support his conclusions, looking at things with a very narrow view, and focusing far to much on problems instead of solutions. He has also exiled himself to his corner of the internet.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Shatterface wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:52 am
Question. Is hypnosis a load of bollocks?
Yes. A truckload of bollocks.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Shatterface wrote: Question. Is hypnosis a load of bollocks?
Depends (no, not the sanitary garments); a lot of stage hypnosis is just showmanship and likely pre-arranged. I did sit in on a hypnosis clinic and was impressed with what could be done with a properly suggestible patient. Very effective for helping smokers quit. I had to try it out, and since children are more suggestible than adults, when my two young nieces came to stay I experimented and was able to put them to sleep at their bedtime quite easily (no ethical review committees were harmed during this experiment). I did not try to make them believe they were hens laying eggs etc. The subject has to go along with it, it is not something you can do to an unwilling person, and they don't go into a trance or any kind of stupor, but simply agree to adopt a suggestion as if it were their own. I don't know if this is reliable, but I suspect that a good measure of an individual's suggestibility is their propensity to induced yawning (yawning when they see someone else yawn) or postural mirroring (adopting the same posture as someone they are interacting with).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Question. Is cold reading a load of bollocks?

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Question. Is cold reading a load of bollocks?
You are clearly the sort of person who questions things and yet is sometimes trusting and willing to consider other people, but sometimes feels let down by them.

So , yes.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Question. Is cold reading a load of bollocks?
"Welcome everyone.
The spirits are with us today.
Let see if we can reach the "other side".
Is there a Charles..? Charlotte...? Charl...
Charlatan in the house?"

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

screwtape wrote:
Depends (no, not the sanitary garments); a lot of stage hypnosis is just showmanship and likely pre-arranged. I did sit in on a hypnosis clinic and was impressed with what could be done with a properly suggestible patient. Very effective for helping smokers quit. I had to try it out, and since children are more suggestible than adults, when my two young nieces came to stay I experimented and was able to put them to sleep at their bedtime quite easily (no ethical review committees were harmed during this experiment). I did not try to make them believe they were hens laying eggs etc. The subject has to go along with it, it is not something you can do to an unwilling person, and they don't go into a trance or any kind of stupor, but simply agree to adopt a suggestion as if it were their own. I don't know if this is reliable, but I suspect that a good measure of an individual's suggestibility is their propensity to induced yawning (yawning when they see someone else yawn) or postural mirroring (adopting the same posture as someone they are interacting with).
It is a tool, and it is only as effective as the person using it. Good stage hypnosis isn't pre-arranged but obviously they are showing you what works, and just because the girl on stage is happy to take her top off, doesn't mean that anyone who is hypnotized is as prone to stripping even if they are highly suggestable. And just because they are willing to strip in front of a theatre audience, doesn't mean they would go along with it if you got them back to their hotel room.

It isn't quite true that the subject has to go along with it and you can't do it to an unwilling person. I was taught that telling a story or a joke is a very mild form of hypnosis -- when you tell the story you are creating a picture in their head, they start imagining your words which is an altered state of consciousness. I doubt you have ever started telling a joke by saying, "I am about to hypnotize you, is that okay?". And so this is the kind of thing that Derren Brown does, where he will lure you into a state of susceptibility then feed you suggestions. Hypnosis is highly effective when people don't know they are being hypnotised.

Imagination tends to be a marker of somebody's propensity... I just noticed I am using your own words back at you. Sorry, force of habit.
Anywho, I developed skills at visualizing ideas in my head (which is not surprising as I was trained as a designer and graphic artist) and it tends to make me highly susceptible to hypnosis.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Is hypnosis a genuinely altered state of consciousness though, rather than just exploiting natural suggestibility?

I'm reading a book on memory at the moment and hypnosis naturally comes up. There's no real evidence that it can help dredge up memories but it's pretty good at helping confabulate false memories, and that's where suggestibility comes in. I've implanted minor false memories myself just for kicks. You don't need to put someone in a 'trance', exploit the mind's own tendency to make associations or to fail to notice something. It's one of the reasons I don't trust my own memory.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'm also wary of the idea hypnosis mainly effects people with good imaginations. That idea feeds into suggestibility. Who doesn't want to be thought of as imaginative?

John D

Post by John D »

VickyCaramel wrote: Imagination tends to be a marker of somebody's propensity... I just noticed I am using your own words back at you. Sorry, force of habit.
Anywho, I developed skills at visualizing ideas in my head (which is not surprising as I was trained as a designer and graphic artist) and it tends to make me highly susceptible to hypnosis.
I am a mechanical engineer and can visualize 3 dimensional models in my head. Still, I am not susceptible to hypnosis. The last hypnotist we saw said it is because I am a critical and skeptical person. I'm not saying visualization is not important to hypnotism... I think it is. I am just telling my story.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

SM1957 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 am
and yet is sometimes trusting and willing to consider other people...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

The Left were not joking when they said that words are literally violence.

You can kill a baby by shouting through a letterbox. It must be true, the BBC said so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42874516

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

screwtape wrote:
A friend was called on stage by hypnotist in Vegas. She told me she was taking it so as not to ruin his act, and she suspected the other volunteers did the same.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Faking it not "taking it". Fucking auto correct.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Was there ever an explanation for why Jodie Foster defended Mel Gibson after his drunken rant? I remember being suprised by it (and then pretty much forgetting it until now).
It has something to do with her Beaver.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am
A friend was called on stage by hypnotist in Vegas. She told me she was taking it so as not to ruin his act, and she suspected the other volunteers did the same.
I saw an hypnotist at the county fair. He prefaced by noting it doesn't work for everyone, and its power has limits. He quickly & quietly dismissed anybody who wasn't responding. He had to get security to forcibly bounce one fat lady who was hamming it up.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: Faking it not "taking it". Fucking auto correct.
Maybe he hypnotized her into faking it? Huh? Huh?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

John D wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: Imagination tends to be a marker of somebody's propensity... I just noticed I am using your own words back at you. Sorry, force of habit.
I am a mechanical engineer and can visualize 3 dimensional models in my head. Still, I am not susceptible to hypnosis. The last hypnotist we saw said it is because I am a critical and skeptical person. I'm not saying visualization is not important to hypnotism... I think it is. I am just telling my story.
My psychology teacher was a psychologist who advertised as a hypnotherapist... it doesn't take long before I knew his tricks and would, "Hold on, you are trying to hypnotize me" which is all it takes to snap out. Chances are, it isn't because you are a critical and skeptical person, it is because you were BEING skeptical. If you are being guarded, trying to put you into a trance won't work.

I nearly mentioned focus too which is what the definition of hypnosis largely is. I am sure you are also able to focus, probably to the point where hours slip by and seem like minutes. But you are also probably trained to be mindful of a dozen peripheral considerations when you are doing engineering.

The truth is that hypnosis isn't magic.
Shatterface wrote: Is hypnosis a genuinely altered state of consciousness though, rather than just exploiting natural suggestibility?

I'm reading a book on memory at the moment and hypnosis naturally comes up. There's no real evidence that it can help dredge up memories but it's pretty good at helping confabulate false memories, and that's where suggestibility comes in. I've implanted minor false memories myself just for kicks. You don't need to put someone in a 'trance', exploit the mind's own tendency to make associations or to fail to notice something. It's one of the reasons I don't trust my own memory.
It depends what you mean my hypnosis. I dabbled in deep hypnosis but actually find that there is far more utility on the edges, which is where advertising, marketing and propaganda plays. And yes, that is all about getting people to accept suggestions, where as I don't really think that hypnosis is much better at retrieving memories than having a relaxing hot bath.

...and as I'm sure you are now aware how ridiculously bad our memories actually are, it won't help you overcome the flaws.

It was mentioned that it is good at helping give up smoking. I would say 'yes and no' to this, but it makes a good example.

Everybody wants you to believe they can help you quit smoking and there is a ton of advocacy research out there, but as far as I am aware, if you take smoking cessation methods in isolation their success rate is about 5% per year. I think I have seen figures that suggest the rate for hypnosis is 8% but even if this is accurate it isn't great because this is per year, meaning that in the first year 92% return to smoking and in the second year 92% of the 8% return to smoking.

As I said my psychology teacher advertised as a hypnotherapist, but he was a bona fide doctor of psychology much like Peterson, who as you know advises clients with strategies which work with their nature rather than against it. I am sure you can believe that this is reasonably effective.

Thirty years ago, if you suggested to somebody that a Doctor of psychology could help them with their problems, they would probably say, "I'm not mental, I don't need to see a shrink". However they might be far more open to the idea that somebody dangle a pocket watch in front of their eyes, they would fall asleep and on the count of three they would wake up a whole new person.... because we love quick fixes. So reading between the lines, he never said as much, but I think hypnotherapy was just another marketing gimmick to get people in the door.

He did tell me that hypnotherapy is a waste of time for people who don't really want to give up, and he complained that many of his clients turned up because their wife or kids had bought them a session as a birthday present, and so he was often faced with mildly unwilling subjects.

He was a little cagey about his work, but reading between the lines, I think that if he was successful in helping people quit smoking, and he claims he was, I seriously doubt that hypnosis would help much to overcome physical cravings. I think what he almost certainly did was use suggestion to convince people that quitting was what they really wanted, and then used the same kinds of methods as Peterson which would be strategies to help wean them off, putting cigarette ends in a jar of water and taking a sniff... all that kind of stuff.

I'd say that that hypnosis is good at what it is good at, but it is pretty limited. It is a useful tool but it is not a complete tool set.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The not so Foxy Folklorist has an incredibly fascinating post up about herself -- I mean about how she takes care of herself when she dances with partners, and how really good she is at dancing and at taking care of herself when dancing with partners. She goes into great detail on just what is involved when one takes care of oneself while dancing with others.

It's kind of like what Stephanie Svan posts would read like, were the Svannity able to form comprehensible sentences.

FF seems to be culturally appropriating, however:
belly.jpg
(97.74 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
(Bet that hot bod gives Bhurzum a stiffie.)

Every time I dance American Tribal Style®
Seriously, somebody registered that as a trademark? To prevent non-monetized cultural appropriation, obviously.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

David 'Moslem Vikings' McAfee, is yet another polyfuckerist claiming superiority to monos:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacredco ... ationship/

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

I just thought I would share, there is some fascinating stuff on this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eXi3RL8q4

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

katamari Damassi wrote: A friend was called on stage by hypnotist in Vegas. She told me she was taking it so as not to ruin his act, and she suspected the other volunteers did the same.
The distinction between 'faking it' and being genuinely 'hypnotised' may not even be meaningful. I heard ( on a TV science show ... so maybe pinch of salt but still) about an experiment where they got some volunteers who were told that the hypnotist would only fake it and not really hypnotise them, and others who were not told this but just had the normal 'hypnotism' experience. When they got on stage, both groups acted the same - ate the onion and thought it was an apple etc - and then they answered questions about how they felt about the experience. The answers they gave about how they felt during the experience were pretty much the same for both groups, except that the group who had been told they weren't truly hyptonised said they were just faking it but the others said they were genuinely hypnotized.

So the takeaway is that it's not really accurate to think of people 'in trances' or (stage) hypnotism being an 'altered state'. Rather it's a manifestation of how people can be influenced, especially by group expectation. Another point that was made was that you can only do stage style hypnotism with an audience. It doesn't work one-on-one.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

SM1957 wrote: The Left were not joking when they said that words are literally violence.

You can kill a baby by shouting through a letterbox. It must be true, the BBC said so.

Hang on SMOneNineFiveSeven - This is not a case of SJW-Words-Are-Violence - This is a case of personal unprovoked threat shouted through the letterbox of someone's home when they're minding their own business.

I'll let the courts sort out the miscarriage part of it, but I for one don't have any sympathy with the shouty scumbags if they end up in prison.

N.B. I know you may have been tongue-in-cheek, in which case feel free to imagine that meme with the guilty looking doggy.

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:56 am
I am a mechanical engineer and can visualize 3 dimensional models in my head.
Have to admit, those are easier to imagine than the flat-breasted ones.
Still, I am not susceptible to hypnosis. The last hypnotist we saw said it is because I am a critical and skeptical person.
"When I snap my fingers, you are going to vividly imagine that I said that and give me a royal tip." *snap*

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Has the efficacy of hypnosis as an aid in quitting smoking been tested against a placebo, e.g. a fake hypnotist with a convincingly pointy beard?

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

piginthecity wrote:
SM1957 wrote: The Left were not joking when they said that words are literally violence.

Hang on SMOneNineFiveSeven - This is not a case of SJW-Words-Are-Violence - This is a case of personal unprovoked threat shouted through the letterbox of someone's home when they're minding their own business.

I'll let the courts sort out the miscarriage part of it, but I for one don't have any sympathy with the shouty scumbags if they end up in prison.

N.B. I know you may have been tongue-in-cheek, in which case feel free to imagine that meme with the guilty looking doggy.
I agree that shouting through the letterbox of somebody on trial for rape is a bad thing to do.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

We are all skeptics here so let's put the power of hypnosis to the test:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sim ... 0519180509

SEND ME YOUR PAYPAL PASSWORD

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Matthew Facciani got spanked by Jerry Coyne, the SJW scales fell from his eyes (a good portion of them, at least), and he's now gravitating toward the Slyme Side of The Force:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/accordingt ... onmischar/

So give the little bastard some love, and make his blog a haven for rapists!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: We are all skeptics here so let's put the power of hypnosis to the test:

"ROSEBUD", master.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: Has the efficacy of hypnosis as an aid in quitting smoking been tested against a placebo, e.g. a fake hypnotist with a convincingly pointy beard?
There should also be a control group that is just exposed to a pointy beard.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Has the efficacy of hypnosis as an aid in quitting smoking been tested against a placebo, e.g. a fake hypnotist with a convincingly pointy beard?
There should also be a control group that is just exposed to a pointy beard.

I met a hypnotist once.
Her pointy beard was not convincing.

feathers

Post by feathers »

I once met a very pointy female hypnotist. I followed her around everywhere until she woke me up.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

piginthecity wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: A friend was called on stage by hypnotist in Vegas. She told me she was taking it so as not to ruin his act, and she suspected the other volunteers did the same.
The distinction between 'faking it' and being genuinely 'hypnotised' may not even be meaningful. I heard ( on a TV science show ... so maybe pinch of salt but still) about an experiment where they got some volunteers who were told that the hypnotist would only fake it and not really hypnotise them, and others who were not told this but just had the normal 'hypnotism' experience. When they got on stage, both groups acted the same - ate the onion and thought it was an apple etc - and then they answered questions about how they felt about the experience. The answers they gave about how they felt during the experience were pretty much the same for both groups, except that the group who had been told they weren't truly hyptonised said they were just faking it but the others said they were genuinely hypnotized.

So the takeaway is that it's not really accurate to think of people 'in trances' or (stage) hypnotism being an 'altered state'. Rather it's a manifestation of how people can be influenced, especially by group expectation. Another point that was made was that you can only do stage style hypnotism with an audience. It doesn't work one-on-one.
It isn't the same by any means, but there are similarities with being drunk. I have been absolutely shit-faced and still haven't ever made really poor decisions. There are other people who only need a sniff of gin and they are dancing on the tables and cheating on their spouse... and they seem to think being drunk is an excuse. Some people really throw themselves into the role of being the out of control drunk. Are they faking it, going along with it or have they really lost their inhibitions and shown their true selves?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Alcohol only works on imaginative people. That's why all the famous alcoholics you can think of writers and artists.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

More seriously, people will act drunk if you give them alcohol free beer without telling them. I think this practice is unethical though. Reverse-spiking should be illegal.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: David 'Moslem Vikings' McAfee, is yet another polyfuckerist claiming superiority to monos:

Thanx. Matt. You got me doing something I swore I would never do again...comment on a Pathos blog. Oh well, at least Hement Fuckface Mahta still has me blocked

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Shatterface wrote: We are all skeptics here so let's put the power of hypnosis to the test:

Let me see if I can remember it...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Another scientific test for hypnosis:

free thoughtpolice

PZ is pissed that there are no squids in these evil pics.
http://archive.is/GwGzy

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote: Alcohol only works on imaginative people. That's why all the famous alcoholics you can think of writers and artists.
That guy that died after taking a ethanol enema was also quite creative...

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criem/2014/191237/

(no pictures sorry).

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

SM1957 wrote: I agree that shouting through the letterbox of somebody on trial for rape is a bad thing to do.
Oh enough with the passive-aggression SierraMike.

This case is a perfect illustration of one of the reasons why it is indeed 'bad'. The shouter don't know who is in the house or what effect it will have on them. We can also add that they don't know you've got the right house or that the target still lives there - not to mention the fact that being 'on trial' for something is not the same as being guilty.

We came in by talking about the SocJus Words/Violence false conflation. To conflate threats with legitimate speech is exactly the same thing.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

free thoughtpolice wrote: PZ is pissed that there are no squids in these evil pics.
Why is it all the best-looking women have crabs?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

M
free thoughtpolice wrote: PZ is pissed that there are no squids in these evil pics.
They missed one.

https://image.ibb.co/bCNtqQ/IMG_1747.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Alcohol only works on imaginative people. That's why all the famous alcoholics you can think of writers and artists.

(no pictures sorry).
Klismaphilia is for anal douches.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

piginthecity wrote:
SM1957 wrote: I agree that shouting through the letterbox of somebody on trial for rape is a bad thing to do.

This case is a perfect illustration of one of the reasons why it is indeed 'bad'. The shouter don't know who is in the house or what effect it will have on them. We can also add that they don't know you've got the right house or that the target still lives there - not to mention the fact that being 'on trial' for something is not the same as being guilty.

We came in by talking about the SocJus Words/Violence false conflation. To conflate threats with legitimate speech is exactly the same thing.
For all we know that baby could have turned out to be the next Hitler.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

piginthecity wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 pm

It is indeed bad to shout abuse through letterboxes. It is one reason why Britain has developed a system of ASBOs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-soci ... iour_order

But I find it hard to believe you can abort children by shouting at their pregnant mother through a letterbox.

free thoughtpolice

There is some weird shit on youtube:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

SM1957 wrote:
piginthecity wrote:

I agree that shouting through the letterbox of somebody on trial for rape is a bad thing to do.
Nature self regulating.
“I was also pregnant at the time it happened, two days after I started to bleed heavily and lost my daughter, she was stillborn.

"I blame Jayda Fransen because there was no other reason for it to happen."

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

free thoughtpolice wrote: There is some weird shit on youtube:
I'm not impressed.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFUVXiqTeiY

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Should be laws against misleading thumbnails on youtube videos.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: David 'Moslem Vikings' McAfee, is yet another polyfuckerist claiming superiority to monos:

Thanx. Matt. You got me doing something I swore I would never do again...comment on a Pathos blog. Oh well, at least Hement Fuckface Mahta still has me blocked
It's Trolling Tuesday! You can indulge a little.

But serious, these polyfuckerists have their heads up their asses. Humans aren't meant to be monogamous. No, wait, it's just me, I have a gene that means I can never be satisfied with just one partner. No, wait, it's a lifestyle choice. No wait, I identity as Poly, so add a 'P' to the QUILTBAG. Just let us do what we want in private. But we want you to accept us and invite our entire polycule to to your kid's birthday party. Nobody's saying one is better than the other. Except you monos have to lie to each other and we're better than you at communication. To each his own. Except what you're doing is treating your partner's body like property.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:

(no pictures sorry).
Klismaphilia is for anal douches.
LoL. Learn something new every day ...
Behind enema lines
A brief look at klismaphilia
Posted Mar 05, 2014 ....

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Peez is really verging into mental retardation. That org promotes sustainable fishing, not no-kill fishing.

His memory also seem to be going:
PZ Myers wrote:Uh-oh. People have often sent me strange photos like this; apparently, cephalopod porn can get you arrested in the UK.

The charge involving the sea creature states the image was of someone “performing an act of intercourse with a dead animal, namely an octopus/squid, which was grossly offensive, disgusting or otherwise of an obscene character”.

Yeah, it is kind of disgusting to see poor cephalopods tormented with the weird, creepy anatomy of vertebrates. It’s also offensive to see that the Swansea police can’t tell the difference between squid and octopus.

But why should we have laws that regulate on the basis of feelings of disgust? As long as no one is harmed, this is the kind of act that ought to be regarded as inappropriate anywhere but in the privacy of one’s home. They have some ridiculous charge that the pictures showed situations which could lead to “serious injury to a person’s breasts” or genitals, except that it also says the cephalopods were dead. It sounds like a silly law to enforce some people’s squeamishness, not to protect the public.

I’d also recommend looking up the work of Hokusai, Teraoka, or Saeki (but not if you live in England! That could land you in jail). Erotic art with cephalopods has a long history.
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula ... the-cepha/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Shatterface wrote:
Why is it all the best-looking women have crabs?
:-) And those that don't are sharks?

40,000 RTs ... Must have hit a nerve ...

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote: So what "doesnt exist"? according to Peterson, it is the "Pay Gap". He didnt say it but by implication it is the gender gap as believed by Newman et al.
So he did and didn't deny it existed.
CN: The gender pay gap stands at just over 9%. …. So it seems to a lot of women, that they still being “dominated and excluded” ….

JP: It does seem that way, but multivariate analysis [3] of the pay gap indicate that it doesn’t exist.

CN: But that is not true, is it? I mean, that nine percent pay gap! That’s a gap between median hourly earnings between men and women!

JP: Yeah, but there’s multiple reasons for that. One of them is gender, but it’s not the only reason.… Like you say, well women in aggregate are paid less than men.
This is what happens when words are used to mean anything.

Gap

First off, it should be "sex", not "gender".
Second, it is only about wages, not overall compensation or benefits.
Third, it is a difference or disparity. Calling it a "gap" passes a subjective moral judgment.

Peterson obviously was thinking no gender-bias gap exists. I admit it's hard to stay on point when a belligerent but not terribly smart ideologue is rapid-firing dogmatic talking points at you, but this was one rare instance when he was not very careful with his words.
Actually I think there is a point here he softened/changed his stated position in the Newman interview compared with all the other discussions he's had that I recall.
Before he's refused to answer the "would you call someone by their preferred pronoun?" and said it's a hypothetical or "depends on the circumstances/how they ask".
Newman: You have voluntarily, … You have voluntarily come into the studio and agreed to be questioned. A trans person in your class, has come to your class and said they want to be called “she”.

Peterson: That’s never happened. And I would call them “she”.

Newman: So you would? So you’ve kind of changed your tune a little bit, …

Peterson: No. No. I said that right from the beginning. What I said at the beginning, was that I was not going to cede the linguistic territory to radical leftists, regardless of whether, or not it was put in law. That’s what I said. Then the people who came after me said, “oh, you must be transphobic! And you’d mistreat a student in your class.” It’s like I never mistreated a student in my class. I’m not transphobic, and that isn’t what I said.

free thoughtpolice

It's Trolling Tuesday! You can indulge a little.
I tried but have been put in moderation instantly. I don't want to call McAfee an islamophobe, but he seems to want to censor me when I talk about my faith. Inshallah, my post will get through, but if not here is what I sent him:
My religion allows men to have 4 wives and an unlimited number of sex slaves providing you have captured them with your right hand. But allowing your women to sleep with other men.
That's just sick and weird.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The not so Foxy Folklorist has an incredibly fascinating post up about herself --

<snip>
Every time I dance American Tribal Style®
Seriously, somebody registered that as a trademark? To prevent non-monetized cultural appropriation, obviously.
Speaking of:
Kim Kardashian West called out for 'cultural appropriation' over 'Bo Derek braids'
Celebrity Yesterday

On Sunday, Kim Kardashian West took to social media to debut her new "Bo Derek braids," referencing a famous hairstyle worn by actor Bo Derek in the 1979 film, 10. However, many are accusing the star of appropriating black culture and wrongly attributing credit for the traditionally black hairstyle to a white woman. ...
Never have so many made so large mountains out of such small molehills, to coin a phrase.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

There was a hokey British film from the late 1970s called "The Shout", about some bloke who could kill people by shouting loudly at them. Lol.

I'd be surprised if Jayda Frantzen possessed that ability. Although, if she did, she'd probably start shouting at Muslims and brown-skinned people. ;)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:

There was a hokey British film from the late 1970s called "The Shout", about some bloke who could kill people by shouting loudly at them. Lol.

I'd be surprised if Jayda Frantzen possessed that ability. Although, if she did, she'd probably start shouting at Muslims and brown-skinned people. ;)
God, but Britain First are quite astonishingly cunty.
Folkestone Magistrates' Court heard Ms Fransen had been directing the comments at Ms Best's partner, a Muslim man due to face trial for rape.
[...]
A video played in court showed her banging on the door of the Kent property and shouting: "Come out and face me you disgusting rapist."
What's that, Fransen? 'Due to face trial' - yeah, that's right, he's not been convicted yet, you gobby slapper. Given how keen Fransen apparently is on our secular laws, as opposed to Sharia ones, perhaps she could show them some respect by not shooting her mouth off and calling people rapists until the conviction is in the bag. Stupid cow.

Really?

Post by Really? »

So YouTube is a Google company. During an onstage talk, YouTube's woman CEO gave the same exact reasoning James Damore did when asked about gender rates at Google.

https://mashable.com/2018/01/29/google- ... town-hall/