There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Sulman

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Sulman »

Tigzy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Self-diagnosing as autistic is a convenient excuse for treating other people like shit cuz you're really a narcissistic, anti-social asshole.
I was thinking of something along the same lines - wondering how many of these folks self-diagnose as autistic because they don't have any friends and are narcissistic enough to conclude that it's because they are 'special' - autistic - and not simply a fucking horrible person.
I know someone exactly like this. He was complaining he was not diagnosed as autistic (he went for screening) because he was so desperate for something to blame for the fact he's a spectacularly awful man.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote: What I find interesting in Reason's take on immigration is they try to apply their Keep the State Out of It philosophy consistently and this pisses off the commentators below attracted to the site by their anti-SJW stance. A lot of people on the Right just can't imagine a Right that isn't anti-immigration, anti-abortion, anti-drug legislation, etc. just as the Left can't imagine a Left that isn't anti-free speech, anti-white, or anti-male.
Outside of John Stossel I really like Reason. Always have.
I started reading it on police shootings, something Right and Left get wrong. The Left think it's all about race, the Right think people just need a damn good shooting every now and then to remind them who's boss.

Until the liberal Left tackle the authoritarians I'm prepared to lend an ear to people who might not give a shit about the world's problems but might at least leave me the hell alone.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I worry that the autistics are going to make the same mistake the feminists did with trans. At first it's, okay, let's play nice, what's the worst that can happen? The next thing is that self-diagnosed autistics take over the whole damn movement, reasonable adjustments put in place to make work bearable for people with autism are taken up by people who don't need them, and then autism is removed from DSM and ICD to spare the feelings of people who think it's a lifestyle choice.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Newspapers in particular seldom break news, they just pass opinions on it and readers think those opinions are the news.
I am not sure how true that is. Because of my prime account, I was able to get a really cheap Washington Post subscription. Their new stories I have found tend to do a good job of sticking with the facts.

I think the change that has happened is no one reads that stuff and even the newspapers don't push it. What they push/what people want to read is the opinion pages. For too many people politics is the new sports. You pull for your chosen team and hate the other guys.

By the way. I am watching Demark and Australia in the World Cup right now. It's tied 1 to 1. So an exciting game as far as soccer is concerned.
Both of you are right to an extent.

The reason why in some newspapers opinions and facts are mixed up is that there is a market for opinions which is stronger than the market for facts.
A lot of it is about validation. It's easier to find an opinion that validates your own than to find facts that support it. Facts can be really inconvenient.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Anyone watched November 13: Attack in Paris yet? Wondering what Netflix documentary to binge on next.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Shatterface wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 am
Keating wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:03 am
SM1957 wrote: Why do so many people on the Left never check any facts before posting?
Says the guy who Listens and Believes everything posted by Tommy Robinson's legal team.
While I agree with your main point, I think there’s a gigantic difference between, at best, citizen journalists mostly working independently, and verified journalists working for major news organisations and former Obama administration staff. Certainly if those some verified journalists are going to complain about fake news and people not trusting the media.
The mainstream media is biased. Unfortunately the alternative media is usually much more biased, and totally unaccountable.

So what. Just pick an alternative source that proves itself less biased. Tim Pool seems fairly trustworthy. Nobody is forced to trust any particular source. The beauty of alternative media is that it circumvents the gatekeepers, that is until the big platforms tighten the noose.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Shatterface wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 am
SM1957 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 pm
I think that if you can applaud the arresting , trial and jailing of Tommy Robinson inside 3 hours, and impose a media blackout on the entire process, then you are in no position to demand that other people apply the law with discretion.
That story came straight from Robinson's legal team but keep insisting your aren't their fucking mouthpiece you fucking lying cunt.
So please clarify for us just what happened, and why no one knew any facts for until now.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Shatterface wrote: A lot of it is about validation. It's easier to find an opinion that validates your own than to find facts that support it. Facts can be really inconvenient.
Is this your confession?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Meyers is maybe not the big draw to FTB that it sometimes seems.

Check out the #3 search term which gets people there:

https://i.imgur.com/yuLZ2sw.png

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Anyone know why DeLurch stopped posting?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Lsuoma wrote: Yeah, well there looks like there's something called Brive1987 Derangement Syndrome here too. Wanna have your kids locked up with Oggie?
Ah. Poor Brive. He works so hard at being an annoying cunt and all those libtards just can't appreciate it.

dogen

Post by dogen »

I'm on holiday in Cornwall at the moment, with Mrs Dogen and the Sprog. Today, we had lunch in a cafe in St Austell. On the special menu: Tandoori Chicken & Cheese Panini.

Truly, it is the end of times.

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 am
For John.
Poor Michael Flynn Jr. is pulled down on all the negativity on the media. Like that pizzagate story he was peddling.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38231532

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

dogen wrote: I'm on holiday in Cornwall at the moment, with Mrs Dogen and the Sprog. Today, we had lunch in a cafe in St Austell. On the special menu: Tandoori Chicken & Cheese Panini.

:think: :think: :think:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content ... 70x580.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Meyers is maybe not the big draw to FTB that it sometimes seems.

He was an actual person who died recently, shamelessly distracting from the plight of black and brown bodies.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

fuzzy wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
SM1957 wrote:
I think that if you can applaud the arresting , trial and jailing of Tommy Robinson inside 3 hours, and impose a media blackout on the entire process, then you are in no position to demand that other people apply the law with discretion.
That story came straight from Robinson's legal team but keep insisting your aren't their fucking mouthpiece you fucking lying cunt.
So please clarify for us just what happened, and why no one knew any facts for until now.
None of us knew that Robinson had been arrested, what for and when. It was a total fucking mystery.

What happened was a total other cunt called Tommy Robinson was arrested at the same time and in the same place for precisely the same thing and we just assumed the billions of articles on that arrest was about the other cunt. And even though the reporting restrictions were lifted on the real cunt his fanboys still think there's a secret plot to murder him and he's been sent to Gitmo to be sacrificed to Allah.

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

Shatterface wrote:
The Factual and Rhetorical Silliness of Family Separation Whataboutism

People who supported Trump’s policy justified it by falsely claiming that today’s critics never cared about Obama’s detention facilities.

What if, in the course of pursuing these impossible zero-tolerance dreams, you employ police-state tactics that overwhelming majorities of Americans find abhorrent?

When all that happens (it's really not an if), it may be time to examine your own assumptions about what is possible, let alone desirable, in immigration policy. Until then, though, TRUMP GOOD, MEDIA/DEMOCRATS BAD.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/06/20/the-f ... lliness-of
They take a "reasoned" article and then close with hyperbole. Where do they draw these "facts" from? How do they determine these actions are "Police-state" tactics. Where do the "overwhelming majorities" come from? This has all been fueled by the media hysteria over this. They are doing nothing new other than it is Trump doing it and doing it at a higher percentage. I don't know how many times I have seen "concentration camp" and children "torn" from their parents in headlines, it is ridiculous.

From my readings I think I might be joining John D on Trump and the 4D chess as they (Administration) have been working the issue since he came to office with no movement. His zero tolerance move will create movement on the immigration front though, good or bad.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Apparently there's some stuff going down in the USA about separating kids from illegal immigrants but there's a total ban on reporting it.

I've searched the internet and there a total blackout.

I've heard that Trevor McDonald tried to report on it but they murdered him with weaponised syphilis.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Stankeye wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
The Factual and Rhetorical Silliness of Family Separation Whataboutism

People who supported Trump’s policy justified it by falsely claiming that today’s critics never cared about Obama’s detention facilities.

What if, in the course of pursuing these impossible zero-tolerance dreams, you employ police-state tactics that overwhelming majorities of Americans find abhorrent?

When all that happens (it's really not an if), it may be time to examine your own assumptions about what is possible, let alone desirable, in immigration policy. Until then, though, TRUMP GOOD, MEDIA/DEMOCRATS BAD.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/06/20/the-f ... lliness-of
They take a "reasoned" article and then close with hyperbole. Where do they draw these "facts" from? How do they determine these actions are "Police-state" tactics. Where do the "overwhelming majorities" come from? This has all been fueled by the media hysteria over this. They are doing nothing new other than it is Trump doing it and doing it at a higher percentage. I don't know how many times I have seen "concentration camp" and children "torn" from their parents in headlines, it is ridiculous.

From my readings I think I might be joining John D on Trump and the 4D chess as they (Administration) have been working the issue since he came to office with no movement. His zero tolerance move will create movement on the immigration front though, good or bad.
I can't really comment because of the total reporting ban.

I don't want to be stabbed by with an umbrella full of monkey herpes like the last guy that opened his mouth.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tommy Robinson's prison has a minaret and his cell rotates so that no matter which way he turns he always faces Mecca.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Did they separate Tommy Robinson from his parents?

John D

Post by John D »

This guy is kind of funny. Too right wing for me.... but at least I get a bit of a laugh.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Meyers is maybe not the big draw to FTB that it sometimes seems.

He was an actual person who died recently, shamelessly distracting from the plight of black and brown bodies.
Haha! Fuck me, you're not joking! That's going up there for me with other real names Randy Bumgardener, Tiny Kock, and Tommy Robinson's real name (Muhammed Halal al Mosque).

free thoughtpolice

Shatterface wrote: Apparently there's some stuff going down in the USA about separating kids from illegal immigrants but there's a total ban on reporting it.

I've heard that Trevor McDonald tried to report on it but they murdered him with weaponised syphilis.
The libtards want you to think that they have converted old Walmarts and unused warehouses into concentration camps for illegal immigrants and their children. In fact, the libtards were the ones under Obummer and Killary that created these detention centers for separating white children from their parents, selling the children into sex slavery and converting the parents into halal soylent green. But the lame stream media keeps it secret.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

dogen wrote: I'm on holiday in Cornwall at the moment, with Mrs Dogen and the Sprog. Today, we had lunch in a cafe in St Austell. On the special menu: Tandoori Chicken & Cheese Panini.

...go to a nice part of Cornwall- they still make Ginsters in one factory in Callington...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote: Tommy Robinson's prison has a minaret and his cell rotates so that no matter which way he turns he always faces Mecca.
The guards have shaved off all his pubes and glued them to his face so he has a muslim beard. My sister knows the prison Governor's secretary (they get together on weekends for a few voddies and squaddies) and she typed the order up so it's true.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote: Did they separate Tommy Robinson from his parents?
He's crying for his mummy.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote: Apparently there's some stuff going down in the USA about separating kids from illegal immigrants but there's a total ban on reporting it.

The government are trying to suppress our brave lad McDonald, they put him in a prison it's a death sentence.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Tommy Robinson's prison has a minaret and his cell rotates so that no matter which way he turns he always faces Mecca.
The guards have shaved off all his pubes and glued them to his face so he has a muslim beard. My sister knows the prison Governor's secretary (they get together on weekends for a few voddies and squaddies) and she typed the order up so it's true.
Some of those pubes aren't his. They're ginger. Gingers are well known to convert to Islam at the drop of a prayer mat.

Robinson's chin turned Muslim before the rest of him. His mouth refused to chew bacon and he has to take pork anally.

I know this because my neighbour keeps pigeons.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

DrokkIt wrote:

The government are trying to suppress our brave lad McDonald, they put him in a prison it's a death sentence.
One of the screws tried to smuggle out a report. He was found dead in his car, supposedly having choked on his own genital warts at a known dogging spot, but the autopsy report is in Arabic and nobody can read it.

free thoughtpolice

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
It just so happens I saw the CCTV footage of then doing it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Meanwhile, the real prison scandal:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not sure that Cornwall was ever really committed to being part of England anyway.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Okay, someone explain this 4D chess move, please.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:

I don't want to be stabbed by with an umbrella full of monkey herpes like the last guy that opened his mouth.
The very nature of the superinjunction means that as well as not being about to report on it, you are also not able to report on the fact that you are not able to report on it.

And you can't mention Elton John's involvement either.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

One of the screws tried to smuggle out a report. He was found dead in his car, supposedly having choked on his own genital warts at a known dogging spot, but the autopsy report is in Arabic and nobody can read it.
I heard they made him pray to Allah 64 times as day and place his head directly inside his own anus. Read it on twitter so deffo true.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

The very nature of the superinjunction means that as well as not being about to report on it, you are also not able to report on the fact that you are not able to report on it.

I think Elton donated the monkey herpes from his private collection.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

fuzzy wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
SM1957 wrote:

It seems Shatterface just can't find any quotes of me posting anything by TR's 'legal team' - whoever they are. I don't follow them,

The news of the media ban came from Breitbart, as was posted here. Where do you think I got it from, if not the Pit?

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/05 ... media-ban/

Of course, if Breitbart had been telling porkies when running this story, they would have been slaughtered by now by other news media.

But they weren't telling lies. The only person telling lies is Shatterface.

Which is why I have him on mute until he learns that I don't lie.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

SM1957 wrote: It seems Shatterface just can't find any quotes of me posting anything by TR's 'legal team' - whoever they are. I don't follow them,
Why do you care and why do you feel the need to announce this?

SM1957 wrote: Which is why I have him on mute until he learns that I don't lie.
What is the purpose of muting someone if you are going to look/quote/respond to them anyway?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:
What is the purpose of muting someone if you are going to look/quote/respond to them anyway?
I dunno - but for that comment alone you are going on my ignore list.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I can't blame you. I have been trying to ignore myself for years.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:
SM1957 wrote: It seems Shatterface just can't find any quotes of me posting anything by TR's 'legal team' - whoever they are. I don't follow them,
Why do you care and why do you feel the need to announce this?

He puts me on mute then complains I haven't responded.

If you are going out of your way to avoid seeing something don't complain it's not there.

I suspect this it why he had difficulty funding reports on Tommy Robinson's arrest.

Tard.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Now you are part of the conspiracy of silence.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tommy Robinson's blanky smells of lamb and tahini.

Guest_3bc53337

Post by Guest_3bc53337 »

Jordan Peterson: I was thinking about his "that depends on the definition of 'believe' and the definition of 'god'" answer. I think he is aware that much of his support comes from religious conservatives. I don't think he wants to drive them away, so he is cagey about what he really thinks.

On the one hand he did his biblical lecture series early in his rise to fame, but as far as I know he stuck to the premise of their psychological significance (I haven't watched much of them).

On the other hand I have never heard him talk about the resurrection as a real event, or any other miracles as real events. He talks about Jesus as the "ideal man", but that does not require Jesus to be divine or to have existed. I think it is consistent with a symbolic interpretation of bible stories or a mythological interpretation.

I think he is more like Thomas Jefferson and his bible.

He can be specific. For example, when asked if he is a white supremacist he says "no", not "that depends on the definition of 'white' and the definition of 'supremacist'". He knows that will be the end of his career. Being cagey about religious belief doesn't have the same problem.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I thought by now everyone would have seen this clip. If he's trying to be cagey - he's really not trying hard enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIB05YeMiW8

Also I believe at the Dillihunty discussion someone asked if god would exist if there were no humans (or sentient life) - and he was not about to answer. If seems pretty clear who he thinks created whom - even if he does not want to admit it (perhaps even to himself).

In the past Peterson has called himself an atheist - but I think he gave it up for lent. Or because he wanted the comfort of faith (or he had faith in faith). Something like that.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Shatterface wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:20 am
Meanwhile, the real prison scandal:

It always slightly amuses me that the CEO of the "Howard League for Penal Reform"
is a Crook.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

I think Elton donated the monkey herpes from his private collection.
Scraped directly from the ballbag of Ryan Giggs, it was.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

MarcusAu wrote: I thought by now everyone would have seen this clip. If he's trying to be cagey - he's really not trying hard enough.

Also I believe at the Dillihunty discussion someone asked if god would exist if there were no humans (or sentient life) - and he was not about to answer. If seems pretty clear who he thinks created whom - even if he does not want to admit it (perhaps even to himself).

In the past Peterson has called himself an atheist - but I think he gave it up for lent. Or because he wanted the comfort of faith (or he had faith in faith). Something like that.
That clip disturbed me in a lot of ways, and it's hard for me to fully express why. Something about the interplay of his statements about "many forms of truth" and reference to the strangeness of existence and the things we don't know about the mind reminded me a lot of Deepak Chopra. Also, I'd really like to ask him in what sense there can be "many forms of truth" if he doesn't mean that in the postmodernist sense. I can accept the idea that mythological (and other fictional) stories can contain metaphorical and allegorical lessons and prescriptions that are meaningful and help inform a moral compass. On the other hand, I'm dying to know what other way a story about someone rising from the dead and then flying up into the sky could possibly be "true". Someone needs to introduce him to that South African chick from the viral panel discussion who protested that science couldn't explain how "some Africans believe black magic can call a lightning to come hit someone" (paraphrasing). It seems like they have a lot in common wrt worldview and the meaning of the word "truth". (shhh... don't tell Peterson she's a postmodernist!)

Guest_3bc53337

Post by Guest_3bc53337 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm
I thought by now everyone would have seen this clip. If he's trying to be cagey - he's really not trying hard enough.

I don't remember seeing that. I may have listened to it in the past. If I understand him he is saying we don't know everything about the human mind and human body and maybe there is some state that a human can achieve that would allow for resurrection. That would still be a non-supernatural explanation of the resurrection. He did not say what he thought the probability of someone achieving that state was. Maybe he thinks it is nearly zero.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's not my job to say who is or isn't a true christian.

But if it was my job - I would say that a lack of belief in the literal resurrection of Jesus is pretty much a deal breaker.

Though of course it would still be possible to be a cafeteria / cultural christian.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

SM1957 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 am
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I don't know if he actually said that, but that isn't what i took away from him. He has said that people act out the axioms of the Judeo Xtian belief system, probably unconsciously. He isn't saying you are therefore a Xtian who believes in Jesus, he is saying that the fundamental axioms on which your hierarchy of values is based comes from Xtian beliefs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_D8PFiCo4

It makes a lot of sense when put like that. He is a bit too cagey sometimes which leaves the door open for mis-interpretation.
Which axioms are those? Eating pork is wrong? Divorce was banned by Jesus? Homosexuality is a sin? Abortion is always wrong? Or only those Judeo-Christian axioms which also happen to be the ones Buddhists had long before Christianity?
And what have the Hellenic Greeks ever done for us?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:56 am
Except bagels.
As he was saying, nasty little things.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I don't know what a non-supernatural state could be that would allow for a resurrection unless people are talking about cryonics or the singularity and I don't see how other people not wanking or eating sea food would make that kind of sacrifice worthwhile.

If it's a metaphor, what's it a metaphor of? Metaphors are meant to make things easier to understand.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Shatterface wrote: I don't know what a non-supernatural state could be that would allow for a resurrection unless people are talking about cryonics or the singularity and I don't see how other people not wanking or eating sea food would make that kind of sacrifice worthwhile.

If it's a metaphor, what's it a metaphor of? Metaphors are meant to make things easier to understand.
Perhaps the resurrection is a metaphor for getting up and making your bed.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old_ones wrote: That clip disturbed me in a lot of ways, and it's hard for me to fully express why. Something about the interplay of his statements about "many forms of truth" and reference to the strangeness of existence and the things we don't know about the mind reminded me a lot of Deepak Chopra. Also, I'd really like to ask him in what sense there can be "many forms of truth" if he doesn't mean that in the postmodernist sense. I can accept the idea that mythological (and other fictional) stories can contain metaphorical and allegorical lessons and prescriptions that are meaningful and help inform a moral compass. On the other hand, I'm dying to know what other way a story about someone rising from the dead and then flying up into the sky could possibly be "true". Someone needs to introduce him to that South African chick from the viral panel discussion who protested that science couldn't explain how "some Africans believe black magic can call a lightning to come hit someone" (paraphrasing). It seems like they have a lot in common wrt worldview and the meaning of the word "truth". (shhh... don't tell Peterson she's a postmodernist!)
Peterson IS a sort of Christian Deepak Chopra.

A lot of the confusion about "truth" is based on mixing up "is" and "ought". Lots of people are guilty of that, even Sam Harris to a certain extent.

While our "moral senses" have some biological foundations (kin selection, tribalism, mirror neurons and physical empathy, etc.) morality is a set of rules which is intrinsically goal-dependent and goal-oriented. There is no such thing as a "moral law" in the sense of the law of gravity. What is moral and what is immoral change depending on which result you want to obtain, on your moral foundations and values. It's perfectly possible to justify pretty much any sort of social behavior according to a different foundation and value.

This doesn't mean that all moral foundations and values are equal in their outcome, especially NOT in a specific context.

Indeed it's SOCIO-ECONOMIC CONTEXT which shapes moral norms, not an abstract "relativism". For a band of nomadic raiders, pillaging and raping of the Outsiders, along with strong In-Group Loyalty, might be highly beneficial in purely biological terms, because they survive off the victims of their raids. Farmers, however, NEED some sort of stability in their lives to farm their lands. A society based on farming which adopted the morals of nomadic raiders would likely fail pretty quickly, since different bands would be too busy screwing each other to tend to their fields.

Polygamy might work fine for rich elites, but it's economically and socially disastrous if one tries to apply it to society as a whole. Wars might be great, even fun, for the noble knights (who are often emulating their raiding nomadic ancestors) but they're disastrous for the farming villagers. Having only your first born inherit your property is great to keep your lands (and power) together, but it leaves your other sons in a very awkward social situation.

In this respect it's better to give the marauding knights an enemy far away, even better if the Enemy can be hated due to some difference in religious creed, than to let them pillage your OWN fields: one of the reasons for the Crusades was a way to keep the bored second sons busy far away instead of having them home harassing the peasants or killing each other.

There are plenty of example of changes in morals which influenced behavior after socio-economic changes.

More recently the Industrial Revolution has re-shaped our societies in a way that has definitely left a mark on our morals. We (at least in the "west", but increasingly so everywhere) no longer live in a world of peasants and farms, but more and more frequently in cities, most of whom are places where you're forced to live side by side with complete strangers, many of whom won't have much in common with you.

We also live in a world where war has drastically changed and is no longer fought by noblemen charging at each other and peasants doing to heavy lifting, but includes weapons which could potentially wipe all humans out of the entire earth. We no longer NEED slaves, indeed it's cheaper today to pay salaries and/or use machinery than to raise field hands, house them and feed them. We have had labor shortages that have require women to work outside their homes, which has proven that in many cases they can be as productive as men. We have a society based on information technology and on exchange of ideas. We have a scientific community which NEEDS communication to stay relevant and productive, and we rely more and more on very advanced "industrial" science. We have environmental problems that threaten everyone on the planet.

It's no wonder that in today's world several messages of tolerance, of acceptance of different origins, of trying to build some sort of antidote to tribalism have become much more widespread when compared to the past, because people HAVE to live and work with the Others, to communicate with them, to interact with them, in order for society to function, you need LOTS of years of education to get a decent-paying job, and war is just SO destructive that you NEED to limit it, at least between nuclear powers. Gone are the days where all the people you knew were the ones in your small village, you didn't need to learn to read unless you were part of a limited elite, you married young to have your sons as field hands as much as possible, and the nobles could freely slaughter each other for whatever reason or do some fun looting of the Enemy on the battlefield. The morals and values of those times are also largely gone with them.

Not everything is perfectly stable of course,societies are in flux. Social media are VERY new in social terms, we still haven't gotten used to them. They're a great way to build echo-chambers of like-minded people and escape the reality of contact with snags with your pet theories and people who disagree or behave in a matter you don't like.

And indeed that's what happening: lots of people who have extreme, highly unpractical ideas due to their sets of moral values take refuge in virtual communities where you don't NEED compromises, you don't NEED to accept the people you dislike, you don't NEED to face the consequences of your policies, you can have your free-floating virtual utopias where you ban all the heretics.

The SocJus and the Alt-Right both live in those virtual spaces, largely disconnected from real problems, dreaming of the "End of Patriachy" or of "White Ethno-States" in a world where the consequences of those "utopias" aren't explored, because it's all virtual. The "culture wars" are all focused on inconsequential bullshit because they're "virtual wars". Online harassment is joyfully exploited by all sides because it's by and large free from real consequences. People dream of white cis hetero male genocide or "population transfers" because it's all just a word-association game, a mental experiment.

The problem is that far too many people are confusing the virtual with the real. The SocJus fans think that their online MMMORPGs of special identity gender snowflakes need to become a human right enforced by law. The Alt-Righters dream about moving people around, chasing away the "degenerates" and to restore their mythical past with a click or a Youtube video. Everyone wants their utopia, and they want it NOW, and all who disagree are just "haters" who can be "banned" from society anyway, just as easily as they're banned from their blogs or social media groups.

I don't know how we'll be able to include social media and the Internet in some kind of real life compromise with the post-industrial, connected, urban world. But the sooner we find a way to reconnect people to the real, out of the online echo-chambers, the better.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Incidentally this is why islam has become so destructive: there are LOTS of socio-economic changes happening in the "muslim world", not to mention the cultural clashes of muslim immigrants to the west, along with the fact that thanks to their oil money and alliances lots of authoritarian theocrats are protected from any backlash, from any meaningful consequences.

Islam is the product of a society of disorganized nomadic raiders which received military discipline and a goal by a warlord with a geo-political plan. The morals of islam are the morals of a group of raiding pillagers who found a compromise with the people who feed them: taxes in exchange for "protection". Traitors to the group of marauding raiders are dealt with swiftly and in the cruelest way.

Women are a commodity, the women of the "protected" people are off-limits (because those filthy bastards who give us their money tend to get angry if you touch them), but the women of the enemy are yours if you can take them. Your women of course should be never be even seen by the filthy Outsiders, lest those bastards take them away and cause trouble. Theft is a serious issue in a desert where resources are limited: it needs stiff punishment. Alcohol makes your Horde weak and unruly, it's very bad for discipline. Pork meat is expensive and a potential health hazard. A set of strict, almost obsessive rules is good for teach discipline and to keep your Horde prepared to following orders.

Once you realize the kind of society where Mohammed and his successors lived in, and their goals, islam starts to make sense.

The problem with islam is that it's an ancient morality crystallized in a book which today is spread by people who have gotten rich purely by luck, or who run theocracies thanks to their oil and who need to keep their subjects in line. Islam is woefully unprepared to deal with modernity, it's spreading only thanks to consequences of lower mortality and still relativity high fertility in Middle Eastern, Northern African and South-East Asian countries. The Great Conquering Hordes have morphed into groups of social misfits, malcontents, losers of all sorts who have turned into Holy Terrorists, and who are so self-destructive and needlessly cruel that the New Caliphate hasn't lasted a decade.

Arabic, Northern African and South-East Asians societies NEED to move on. Islam is keeping them down to shithole level. It's a stagnating, self-righteous culture tied to a mythical past, which has created its own online echo-chambers and have produced lots of whining and self-justifications for why the "muslim world" is so backwards, so much plagued by endemic corruption, tribalism, familism, and inefficiency, so culturally and technologically left behind. The reality is that islam keeps people ignorant, underdeveloped, often even illiterate.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

KiwiInOz wrote: Perhaps the resurrection is a metaphor for getting up and making your bed.
Could be:
Then Simon Peter came along behind him and went straight into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, as well as the cloth that had been wrapped around Jesus' head. The cloth was still lying in its place, separate from the linen.

- John, 20:06-07

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Kirbmarc wrote: Pork meat is expensive and a potential health hazard.
I've often been curious about the prohibition on pork in Judaism and islam. The health-hazard bit doesn't really wash when there's no similar prohibition on chicken, which is even more hazardous than pork when undercooked. There's also this idea that a pig is a dirty animal - in which case, try sheep, which are prone to flystrike and tend to have accumulations of matted shit around the nether regions; 'dag', as Brive's ethnic kin refer to it. No prohibition on mutton though. Too expensive - well, maybe. But shouldn't the expensive itself serve as prohibition enough, without getting all religious about it?

In God is Not Great, Hitch put forward the suggestion that the prohibition on pork might be down to the fact that human flesh smells like pork when it burns, thus incurring an ancient taboo which persisted, even though its origins became lost over time. All in all it's a bit fucking weird and illogical really, but hey, that's religion for you.

free thoughtpolice

Tigzy wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Pork meat is expensive and a potential health hazard.
I've often been curious about the prohibition on pork in Judaism and islam. The health-hazard bit doesn't really wash when there's no similar prohibition on chicken, which is even more hazardous than pork when undercooked. There's also this idea that a pig is a dirty animal - in which case, try sheep, which are prone to flystrike and tend to have accumulations of matted shit around the nether regions; 'dag', as Brive's ethnic kin refer to it. No prohibition on mutton though. Too expensive - well, maybe. But shouldn't the expensive itself serve as prohibition enough, without getting all religious about it?

In God is Not Great, Hitch put forward the suggestion that the prohibition on pork might be down to the fact that human flesh smells like pork when it burns, thus incurring an ancient taboo which persisted, even though its origins became lost over time. All in all it's a bit fucking weird and illogical really, but hey, that's religion for you.
Their seems to be a shift away from the unhealthy theory for the reasons you point out, to the idea that around the time that dietary restrictions started to be imposed raising chickens became more common in the middle east. They provide eggs, produce more protein per unit of feed, and more importantly for arid countries need less water.
But that again presupposes that their is a logical reason for it.