There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Ape+lust »

dogen wrote: Before Defending their Culture, he might want to learn how to Spell their Beer.

It makes me wonder whether he's actually ever purchased or drunk a corona.
The silver spoon brat drink trailer trash beer? Haha, never.

He's never heard "Woo-hoo, Cinco de Mayo!" either, for pretty much the same reasons he's never heard "Yee haw, Obon!" or "Yippie ki yi yay, Hannukah!"

Which is great, because it keeps him from doing some damn fool thing that gets his head twisted off.

You're too short and round, Danny, you'll never be a tough guy :lol:

Keating

Post by Keating »

Bhurzum wrote:
He’s early. Ramadan doesn’t start for another 10 days.

Keating

Post by Keating »

More interesting stories from Service Dog:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/06/service-d ... e-7136940/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I ended up on Cinco de Mayo in the bar of a Mexican restaurant meeting a friend. (Her choice.) It was surprisingly mellow and not packed. As a bonus, I got to watch the Derby.

(I had a negro model, not a carona.)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I worry that you don't understand what "cultural house rules" could possibly mean.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

We heard you liked pudendas, so we put.....

https://imgur.com/wRDbB85.jpg

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I ended up on Cinco de Mayo in the bar of a Mexican restaurant meeting a friend. (Her choice.) It was surprisingly mellow and not packed. As a bonus, I got to watch the Derby.

Did an obese transvestite attempt to knock your beer from your hand?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I ended up on Cinco de Mayo in the bar of a Mexican restaurant meeting a friend. (Her choice.) It was surprisingly mellow and not packed. As a bonus, I got to watch the Derby.

Excellent choice.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

rayshul wrote: I worry that you don't understand what "cultural house rules" could possibly mean.
There are lots of things it could mean, which is the problem. Brive likes to make these vague statements about what he thinks would be better than "civic nationalism" (i.e. modern representative republics) but he's never overly clear about what he is actually favoring. He talks about restricting immigration (which is fine, and totally compatible with "civic nationalism") and then a bunch of other stuff about "cultural house rules" and other de jure cultural privileging, minus any specifics as to what he actually means. Either he doesn't actually know, or he's aware that his "moderate ethnostate" bullshit has the potential to go a lot of nasty places that don't match the rhetoric. Racial and cultural division can be a poison for society, but I don't know of a case where de jure biases have led to a good societal outcome.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

For all the talk - I suspect that Brive and Kirbmarc have about equal influence of Australian immigration policy.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Old_ones wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
[The alt-right] always make inaccurate, simplistic, exaggerated, scaremongering arguments to push their ethno-nationalist crap.
[IM.G]http://i.imgur.com/mpIVGMU.jpg[/IMG]

[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SRnPXEm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/vGSyXOb.jpg[/IMG]
You publish all this bullshit about how many Asian immigrants you have, and how bad that is, but I've tracked down a figure of merit that means more to me. Here is the nature index for countries publishing scientific papers, and I've taken the liberty of highlighting all the Asian countries doing better than Australia.

Maybe instead of fretting over all the Asians coming in and thinking about "cultural house rules" (what the fuck does that even mean - you want Christianity as a state religion, and everyone has to eat Vegemite on Thursdays, or something?) you should welcome these people into your country in the hope that they'll teach you how to publish like a proper first world country.

On a somewhat unrelated note, it's really funny to me that you have some kind of Australian racial pride when Australia is descended from a penal colony for British degenerates. I guess if you have strong feelings about genetic or racial inferiority that would help explain why the UK is still kicking Austrialia's ass in scientific publishing. It still doesn't work for explaining why crappy multicultural, miscegenated USA is on top though.
Nice way to address my complaint that Kirb was rolling out his simplifications again.

You seem very angry. Try bourbon. (Just a hint).

I’m assuming you are not disputing the validity of my “bullshit” figures? No? Ok.

So the criteria for immigration should relate to host country scientific article count? I suspect this is a simplification of your views, but I can only work with you give me.

Should we test applicants to ensure they represent this cream? And send back those who struggle with redox reactions? Is this the basis for a cohesive, unified society?

But wait. A look at nture’s index suggests the figures you produced are straight counts
http://feedback.natureindex.com/knowled ... nt-ac-mean

China has 5x our article count but 1.3 billion people compared to our 24 million. Now I’m not a scientist but .... :lol: :lol:

Have you actually thought this through?

I assume you also know that Australia only got convicts after the US dumping ground dried up. :lol:

You are a bit of a rube. Yes 168K convicts came to Australia, but the major demographic thrust occurred around the gold rushes when 2% of the British Isles freely emigrated and our population went from 437K in 1851 to 1.1 million ten years later.

You are also a rube if you thing the national identity - which propelled us into Nationhood in 1901 and persisted until the 1980s - rested on Vegemite.

I have listed the practical things I’d do if I had the wand I apparently need to wave to make you happy. Have you forgotten?

Finally I see you have picked up the cultural = racial magic blood well poisoning kit. I’ll let Kirb know where he dropped it.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote: For all the talk - I suspect that Brive and Kirbmarc have about equal influence of Australian immigration policy.
Well, as someone who can't vote in Australian elections, I have exactly zero influence on that.

Brive, as an Australian citizen, has at least 1/24,13 million influence.

So not much more. :twatson:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This is a surprising metric with which to judge pit debates.

What new pipes are being laid?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: Finally I see you have picked up the cultural = racial magic blood well poisoning kit. I’ll let Kirb know where he dropped it.
Brive, the "racial magic blood/One Drop Rule" thing of the Richards Spencer and Taras McCarthy is not the ONLY way people associate culture to race.

You have promoted Lauren Southern and Brittany Pettibone, who have also repeatedly associated race to culture, what with the infamous Southern video about non-white people in Paris, for example, or with Southern's promotion of the "great replacement" narrative.

Or this video of Brittany Pettibone, where she discusses "race realism" with JF Gariépy.

Southern and Pettibone are not fans of the "one drop rule" that if someone is even slightly of non-European origin then they're to be deported from Europe, like McCarthy says, or deported from the "American ethno-state", like Spencer says.

HOWEVER they're pushing the idea that in broad strokes race and culture are pretty much one and the same. They don't say "race is the ONLY source of cultural differences" or "we must keep our ethno-stare 100% racially pure", but they CONSTANTLY associate rule to culture. Also, since their policies are based on the idea of preserving "white culture", they're basically saying that they want to "preserve the white race" (buying into the Great Replacement theories). They diffuse conspiracy theories about cabals of secretive globalists pushing for sinister plots (Pettibone was instrumental in the diffusion of the "PizzaGate" bullshit).

The general conclusion that they come to is that they should reduce the number of non-white people living in "white spaces". They might not be as extremist as Spencer or McCarthy, and allow mixed-race people or some colorful ethnics to stay, but they are deliberately pushing for a "white ethno-state". They're not pushing merely for immigration reform or more integration within the host culture. They're selling a narrative based on ethno-racial differences which while maybe not as extremist as that of McCarthy or Spencer is STILL about about the primacy of race in defining culture.

Also they frequently co-operate with the likes of McCarthy or Spencer (Pettibone even co-hosted a podcast with McCarthy) so they're not exactly separating themselves from the "magic racial blood" people. They seem to work together, at least. So the Big Rift that you seem to be assume to exist between the "magic racial blood" faction and the "white, but only as a cultural term" faction is more theoretical than practical.

As for you, I don't know exactly what you think, but you seem to think that Switzerland is an ethno-state because it has less non-white immigrants than Australia, so I'm assuming you're also associating ethno-culture to race. You also commented on a mixed-race woman playing Joan of Arc by including a tweet by Mark Collett about how "European are written out of their history". It's hard to parse that comment with a "cultural" interpretation. Someone whose first and foremost concern is culture should see cultural integration as a good thing. It seems like the problem for Collett is race, not really culture.

You have expanded upon this:
So there is the issue with Joan. One website says there were 4 criteria, only 1 of which is anchored in objectivity. Orleans resident, 10 year duration, high school student, catholic. Presumably males are not discriminated against. Or maybe it would be ridiculous to have a dick wielding Joan? Once you go down this path things get sticky. Another site quotes the girl as saying “what is important is that she's French." Apparently now Catholicism and gender is optional. Of cause being “French” begs another question.

In short we need to consider .. if integrating multi cultures requires removing the base meaning of institutions - is that actual progress? Especially if the motifs of the introduced cultures remain inviolable? Meh. Questions without clear answers.
Why does the fact that the girl playing Joan of Arc is mixed-race "remove the base meaning of institution"? Unless there's a deep connection between culture and race, it's hard to understand this argument. You don't seem to be miles away from Collett on this issue.

Again, it's hard to tell what you think. The fact that you seem to think that the "magic racial blood" narrative is so deeply separated from the "defend the western white culture" narrative doesn't exactly map onto reality. Your own ideas seem more focused on race than on culture, or at least to imply that race is a big, determinant factor in matters of culture clash.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirb, I’ll read your wall once the kababs finish grilling.

But just to state the blindingly obvious.

I was responding to Old One’s
you have some kind of Australian racial pride
Now goal posts, by the left, quick march.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Basically the whole big debate on race and culture boils down to WHAT you want to maintain. Everyone except the most brain-dead SocJus cultural relativists agrees that liberal democracy must be maintained. A lot of people see Enlightenment values (due process, freedom of speech, separation of church and state) as the fundamental parts of liberal democracy. A lot of people see specific cultural bases of a country as also important to teach and use as a social glue, especially in terms of celebrating the past, teaching the language, etc.

As long as the local culture is framed in a matter of inclusion, of valuing the good, instead of exclusion, I agree with all of that, with the caveat that cultures change through time, cultural contact and mixing is actually a good thing, and so you shouldn't demonize either the past or the present.

The problems come when what you want to defend, in practice, is the ethnic composition of your country as it once was. I can understand arguments about limiting immigration so that you reduce culture clash, or you can have immigrants integrate and not form their own isolated states within the state, or selecting people who are more likely to accept the values of the host country (and de-selecting those who show that they have no intention to). What I find, let's say, "problematic", is the focus on ethnicity and ethnicity alone as the meter of judgement.

The primary focus on ethnicity is bad at a social level, even leaving outside the matter of laws and regulations, because it puts the people who are not of the "accepted" race in your country in a substantially impossible position. They can't gradually adapt and take part in the host country because that is seen as "cultural terraforming", but if they stay in their own ghettos they're even less likely not to lead to cultural clashes. Basically Brive's EXPLICIT focus on ethnicity isn't exactly "fit in [within the common values/cultural package] or fuck off", it's "you are an intruder here, you'll never be one of us, because who "we" are is defined by ethnicity, and since you don't share that we'll barely tolerate you if you fit in". Under these premises it's no wonder that immigrants prefer to stay with their own, it's much easier and less costly.

Then of course there's the matter of laws and regulations, a.k.a. what to do in practice with those non-white people in the white ethno-state. That opens another can of worms. Brive's model doesn't seem to really know what to do with this issue, it's all about closing borders or selecting immigrants in a different way, but has little to say about those who are already in the country.

This isn't to say that Brive is a genocidal fuckwit like Tara McCarthy, or a fan of the "one drop rule" like Richard Spencer. But his model doesn't seem to work much better.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh Kirb. It’s difficult to be intelligently polemic because the terms are loose. Which is different to the terms being without meaning.

Nationalisty, culture, ethnicity, race. It’s all very contextual. And best utilised when comparing one group of people to another with emphasis changing with scale.

I’d imagine it’s difficult to imagine an ethnic pole who is not white. But the whiteness isn’t the distinguishing thing. Can you discuss being ethnically European? Well in comparison to someone claiming mixed African ethnicity probably yes.

How about an ethnic pole who identifies culturally with Australia but holds UK citizenship. In a bubble looking at an individual the terms are less useful.

Australia’s identity emerged from a fusion of predominantly British Celtic stocks mixed with Western European. The identity took cultural markers from this base and interpreted them against the unique environment. It created in a short period a very distinctive narrative with clear tags for the exceptionalism that distinguishes every self aware cultural group.

It wasn’t a specifically white race story, though this was implicit from the old stock ethnicity. The mythology of the outback, drought, bushfires and imagined red dirt values were a critical mix. See the Bulletin, see Tom Roberts, see Banjo Patterson, see Frederick McCubbin or CEW Bean for that matter. This was kept fresh with the teaching of our history with quiet respect, the role modeling of grandparents around Anzac Day plus other institutions which celebrated these bonds such as the Gould League et al.

An inordinate inflow of Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, Lebanese Muslim blah blah blah does not strengthen this consensus even though many of these people are individually quite wonderful and some are not.

The group dynamic changes, silos are created, equivalency of culture is demanded and race is injected into the mix by those seeking leverage.

That sir, is why Switzerland is an ethnostate. It clearly understands the cultural boundaries it is protecting. It explicitly polices these. It celebrates this culture without equivocation. And it’s immigration policies can be directly correlated, via statistics to these goals.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Brive1987 wrote: You are also a rube if you thing the national identity - which propelled us into Nationhood in 1901 and persisted until the 1980s - rested on Vegemite.
We don't need no Vegemite when we have our very own far superior yeast extract spread. :snooty:
Attachments
marmite.jpg
(192.99 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

“White white white white white”. Fuck man you are fixated.

I would do all the things I’ve mentioned before.

I would
+ define Australia as a proud variant of European culture (Paul Keating could fuck off with his clocks to France)
+ would teach our history without the black armband
+ retain the constitutional monarchy
+ retain our flag
+ would have an official language (English) without providing demi offical alternatives
+ have a high level of mandatory English for immigrants
+ not invest in special programs and benefits for new arrivals that didn’t fit in
+ deglobalise our 2 main cities esp around property
+ seek to realign the economy away from ponzi growth but I’m not an economist in the hows
+ adopt Christianity where culture and tradition injected religion such as swearing ins etc
+ have zero tolerance for expressions of Islam in the public space including education
+ like to see policies that emphasised traditions (ie child focused) family
+ seek to reduce immigration to around 70,000 pa
+ prioritise immigrants coming from old stock cultural points of origin and not freak out these may be white people
+ financially compensate people who wanted to leave because their silos were no longer so tolerated
+ adopt the Swiss model of clear demarcation between (potentially temporary) residents and citizens

Just from the top of my head.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Amid disagreement, solace can always be found with ABBA.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Brive1987 wrote: + adopt Christianity where culture and tradition injected religion such as swearing ins etc
It's this that I never really understand, and I hear it echoed around a lot lately. Do you think the only way to fight a bad religion is with a good one?

Surely the rejection of religion is in principle and not just a pragmatic evaluation of outcomes?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: This is a surprising metric with which to judge pit debates.

Yeah - but starting a new thread at this point would not be unprecedented (to say the least).

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:

Yeah - but starting a new thread at this point would not be unprecedented (to say the least).
I'm happy to cease fire on the Oz-Reich if Kirb stops dropping his simplistic bon mots.

Case in point:
[The alt-right] always make inaccurate, simplistic, exaggerated, scaremongering arguments to push their ethno-nationalist crap.
The following approach from Kirb is reminiscent of my daughter - who will seek to hold the domestic battlefield via overwhelming and disproportionate responses. It is best not to submit to terrorism.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Keating wrote: To play the identity politics game, my heritage is a nearly dead culture whose homeland has been lost for nearly 100 years. I consider myself fully Australian, but still think that heritage is valuable, even if there’s but a handful of us in Australia. (More of us went to Canada).
So long and thank for all the pierogies!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

DrokkIt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: + adopt Christianity where culture and tradition injected religion such as swearing ins etc
It's this that I never really understand, and I hear it echoed around a lot lately. Do you think the only way to fight a bad religion is with a good one?

Surely the rejection of religion is in principle and not just a pragmatic evaluation of outcomes?
Again context matters. The US has an odd relationship with many things including religion. In Australia it tended to play a simpler role - a Sunday a month maybe. Christmas etc. It was more a cultural touchstone and an agent for continuity than an ogre to be tamed or a cult to evangelize.

Think Dawn French and the Vicar of Dibley. Beyond the CofE you had to be mindful of those Irish and wog Catholics with their foreign Pope. But that threat was largely contained.

For many people, the old book was as good a source for basic morality benchmarks as any. At least using the traditional simple approach. Have you noticed how of the Ten Commandments only three or four are actually religious. And then only to crowd out the competitor gods. The rest are a basic framework for a trad community. Value your parents, don't fuck over your family or someone elses, don't nick stuff or wish that you could, don't lie etc.

As a bonus you get two versions.

Wack in the Golden Rule and you have an ethics for dummies.

These days its a bit more complex eh?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think that's a battle long since lost.

If you are going to make allowances for metal music (thanks Ozzy!), vaguely new-age airey-fairy paganism, and oh so edgy satanism, as well as whatever the chinese were getting up to - then there really isn't a coherent argument to make against other belief systems. The Abos at least must be able to have their mythology grandfathered in.

Giving christianity (if you want to call what the prods do that) a special relationship with government - really fudges the line on church-state separation issues too.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Brive1987 wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

Again context matters. The US has an odd relationship with many things including religion. In Australia it tended to play a simpler role - a Sunday a month maybe. Christmas etc. It was more a cultural touchstone and an agent for continuity than an ogre to be tamed or a cult to evangelize.

Think Dawn French and the Vicar of Dibley. Beyond the CofE you had to be mindful of those Irish and wog Catholics with their foreign Pope. But that threat was largely contained.

For many people, the old book was as good a source for basic morality benchmarks as any. At least using the traditional simple approach. Have you noticed how of the Ten Commandments only three or four are actually religious. And then only to crowd out the competitor gods. The rest are a basic framework for a trad community. Value your parents, don't fuck over your family or someone elses, don't nick stuff or wish that you could, don't lie etc.

As a bonus you get two versions.

Wack in the Golden Rule and you have an ethics for dummies.

These days its a bit more complex eh?
I take your point, but I do think this a kind of siege mentality that amounts to "their religion + customs are bad so we need to reinforce our own religion + customs".

The CofE is absolutely dying on it's arse. I would suspect this is because it's historic appeal (user friendly Christianity) is kind of meaningless in a society which doesn't expect religiosity anymore, and people who are of the religious mindset are probably going to find it wishy-washy and be drawn to stronger faiths that are available.

I recognise and operate on the basis that Islam is a far greater threat that any other religion, however I don't want to live under the expectations of any of them - forgive the hyperbolic language but when you compromise good and evil, evil wins.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:

Did an obese transvestite attempt to knock your beer from your hand?
No, but there was a well-rounded, balding woman calling herself "Gordita" flirting with the busboys.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:

Yeah, get a room, you two lovebirds !!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Old_ones wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: (I had a negro model, not a carona.)
Excellent choice.
I know, right?
leopard_grace.jpg
(527.66 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Unfortunately, due to prior commitments I was once again not able to attend the Boring Conference...

Here's a previous highlight though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7vsSCOPFQ

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

The police say that if he doesn't cut it out, he is going to be caught by the rozzers.

Apparently smut is no longer allowed in the land of Benny Hill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-43961019

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:49 am
In The Hague, not at. It's a city, Pam.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

She's a bit vague on the Hague.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:26 am
Georgia's always on my-my-my mind.

Khatia_gold.jpg

Khatia_black.jpg
http://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploa ... POST02.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ape+lust wrote: We heard you liked pudendas, so we put.....

https://imgur.com/wRDbB85.jpg
I wuz trying to explain the Elyse backstory to my gf. I got to the part where Michael Shermer allegedly said:

twitter
Mofo Knowles-Carter
Follow @dELYSEious
"You're a NAUGHTY NAUGHTY girl"- @michaelshermer kneeling next to me at TAM9 after I accidentally dropped tongs at the reception buffet
8:15 PM - 6 Aug 2013
My girl said, "She probably put the tongs back with the food".

A truly, deeply plausible hypothesis.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:52 pm
Couldn't wait to stop eating.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote: Giving christianity (if you want to call what the prods do that) a special relationship with government - really fudges the line on church-state separation issues too.
Oh piffle. QEII is head of Church and she hasn’t burnt anyone at the stake for yonks.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog wrote: I wuz trying to explain the Elyse backstory to my gf. I got to the part where Michael Shermer allegedly said:

twitter
Mofo Knowles-Carter
Follow @dELYSEious
"You're a NAUGHTY NAUGHTY girl"- @michaelshermer kneeling next to me at TAM9 after I accidentally dropped tongs at the reception buffet

HAHAHA! She knows Elyse.

If she hasn't seen already, maybe she'd like a look at what Elyse put those tongs back into :D

https://imgur.com/7CEzYZ4.jpg

But, nevermind the tongs, it'd be supremely unwise to follow that girl in a buffet line. Only a hazmat scrub could disinfect her of the weird shit she gets into.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Even in death he falls to capitalism.
Attachments
marx.jpg
(94.78 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote: Even in death he falls to capitalism.
Rubbish - I know Highgate cemetary - you can whip round the side and get in through a hole in the hedge.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

Brive1987 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Giving christianity (if you want to call what the prods do that) a special relationship with government - really fudges the line on church-state separation issues too.
Oh piffle. QEII is head of Church and she hasn’t burnt anyone at the stake for yonks.
However blokes in funny dresses automatically get to legislate just because they have the same invisible friend.

katamari Damassi

Service Dog wrote:
I wuz trying to explain the Elyse backstory to my gf. I got to the part where Michael Shermer allegedly said:

twitter
Mofo Knowles-Carter
Follow @dELYSEious

With Eylse you're lucky if "back with the food" is the only place she put those tongs.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Keating wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:30 pm
I don’t particularly care of the source countries of immigration to Australia, but I do care of the quantity. We’re attempting to double our population in 25 years. That’s insane. The trouble with too many people from the same culture is they can almost always form their own enclaves and almost never need to assimilate. That will cause massive societal conflicts down the line.
FTFY

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Keating wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Did this really happen?? Nothing about it in the BBC :liar: site as far as I can see...

:think: :think:

katamari Damassi

Ten minutes into new Lost in Space and it's not looking promising.
They're listening to Drift Away. Contemporary music in future set movies really bugs me. It's like us rocking out to Camptown Races and Swanee River. With the exception of Mykeru, who does that?
They're using English units.
Everybody in the family seems to hate each other. While that can be realistic, I don't think they'd be chosen for a space mission.
Spacesuited girl is flash frozen in a lake and isn't crushed by the ice.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:24 am
Brive1987 wrote: You are also a rube if you thing the national identity - which propelled us into Nationhood in 1901 and persisted until the 1980s - rested on Vegemite.
We don't need no Vegemite when we have our very own far superior yeast extract spread. :snooty:
French word. You know that, right?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:24 pm
I ended up on Cinco de Mayo in the bar of a Mexican restaurant meeting a friend. (Her choice.) It was surprisingly mellow and not packed. As a bonus, I got to watch the Derby.

Pacifico es mas! :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: With Eylse you're lucky if "back with the food" is the only place she put those tongs.
"back with the food" could also describe her instagrams of herself puking.

John D

Post by John D »

I'm going to see Peterson tonight at the Filmore in Detroit. Hopefully my wife feels well enough to let me stand in line to get my book signed. Her fibro is bad today.

Protestors???? Na.... I doubt it. Wayne State University is in Detroit and it is not known for liberal humanities students. But, we will see.

John D

Post by John D »

katamari Damassi wrote: Ten minutes into new Lost in Space and it's not looking promising.
They're listening to Drift Away. Contemporary music in future set movies really bugs me. It's like us rocking out to Camptown Races and Swanee River. With the exception of Mykeru, who does that?
Everybody in the family seems to hate each other. While that can be realistic, I don't think they'd be chosen for a space mission.
Lost in Space is stupid.... and that is why I liked it. It is so full of errors and such... man.... almost as bad as the original. If you want to watch this sort of thing then LIS will make you happy. I liked it.... it made me smile. Haha.

John D

Post by John D »

Then again....
1174796_3297303969273_1656431471_n.jpg
(136.57 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
For an ultra-thin beer, Pacifico is none too bad. Much better than Carona or that German one, Das Eckis.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 am
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Dos equis dark.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Lsuoma wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:24 am
French word. You know that, right?
My second language old son ;)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

John D wrote: Then again....1174796_3297303969273_1656431471_n.jpg
How is your daughter, by the way?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Anyone seen Super Troopers 2 yet? I can't believe it'll be anything but shite, but I sometimes value the Pit opinions...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

piginthecity wrote:
I sit out all the rounds in culture wars. That's not to say there's equivalence between the sides. It's case by case. But if you actually want to oppose bad ideas, then 'wars' is always going to be counter productive. Sooner or later you're going to be more interested in fighting the war than you are in determining good ideas from bad.

Also, at some point, if you are going to change someone's mind you are going to have to try to find some common ground with them. Some baseline of agreement and common purpose. I know this is difficult to envisage with certain individuals. The language of 'sides' and 'wars' makes this impossible. Also, it's in the interest of those with bad ideas to promote the idea of 'culture war' as a means to insulate the ideas. So 'culture war' is itself a bad idea.

I'm glad that Dank got the money to fight the case and donate the 'fine' to the cancer hospital. It's doing us all a service to take it to appeal. Maybe I should have donated, but I didn't. One reason is that I'm a cheapskate, but, yes, another is that the tribal side of it puts me off. It's not a clear cut decision, though.
I think this pretty much sums up my position too.

I don't think that the rise of patreon et al is really all that good. It's created (or expanded) a whole class of people who make their living as the modern equivalent of talk-back hosts or entertainers (However insightful they may be at times). For example - as much as I might agree with Sargon (or at least where he is coming from) - I'm wary about where all this is going.

Perhaps things would be better if more people were part time YouTubers (like Noel Plum) or were inspired to go into politics / back to school (like AronRa).

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

katamari Damassi wrote: Ten minutes into new Lost in Space and it's not looking promising.
It doesn't get much better. :(