There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Tigzy »

shoutinghorse wrote: Forest Whitaker IMO is one of the best actors out there, one of his finest performances was in the equally superb (but often overlooked) cop drama 'The Shield'
Still, that accent of his in The Crying Game. Well...gorblimey.

John D

Post by John D »

Shatterface wrote: Okay, fuck it. Whatever. You know what I mean. I try to be good but it gets me nowhere.

I trick my line manager into saying something libellous and I get what I want. What's the incentive to being good?

Patience, playing by the rules, whatever, gets me nowhere. Yet I can roll into work 30 minutes every day, I shout at people,

I make up shit I've been doing when I know nobody knows what I'm supposed to be doing anyway.

I know genuinely good people who are being fucked over for doing half as much work as I do.

I'm not bad at what I do. I'm good at it. But what I do is is really easy to me and hard for others. 🎾 what they can do is so far out of my competence I can never emulate it. And because there are dozens of them found it they are measured by each other's achiebemebrz while what I do is only ever measured against what I have done previouslyz

So what's the fuckng point?
I take the "sleeping well at night" test. If what you are doing allows you to sleep well at night (without drugs) and feel good about what you are doing at work, then you are probably okay.

I feel like I am an agent for my company. I do what is best in good faith for them. They pay for my services. They do not pay for me to overwork myself, or even work as hard a humanly possible. They pay me to be a good agent for them. Much of this has to do with business effectiveness. Are you considered effective? Who rates your performance? What do they think about your performance? It is not your fault that you can work less hard than others and still be effective.

Don't assume being "nice" is particularly effective at work. Hell.... I have worked in very abusive places and I was successful. Proper use of yelling, anger, and cursing can be very useful in the right place. But.... don't do it just to shit on people.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Yes, visiting an obscure discussion board, doing a vanity search, to discover references to your uncanny resemblance to Tom Cruise, constitutes "abuse".

Fuck off.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Shatterface wrote: Okay, fuck it. Whatever. You know what I mean. I try to be good but it gets me nowhere.

I trick my line manager into saying something libellous and I get what I want. What's the incentive to being good?

Patience, playing by the rules, whatever, gets me nowhere. Yet I can roll into work 30 minutes every day, I shout at people,

I make up shit I've been doing when I know nobody knows what I'm supposed to be doing anyway.

I know genuinely good people who are being fucked over for doing half as much work as I do.

I'm not bad at what I do. I'm good at it. But what I do is is really easy to me and hard for others. 🎾 what they can do is so far out of my competence I can never emulate it. And because there are dozens of them found it they are measured by each other's achiebemebrz while what I do is only ever measured against what I have done previouslyz

Part of the legitimate criticism of capitalism is that it does reward you for being an asshole. I've "done the right thing" a couple of times and been rewarded with a mighty kick in the ass. There is more luck involved than most people care to discuss. Getting ahead often means pushing others out of the way.

From my perspective, the only way to be happy is to make peace with yourself and your situation, or try to find a job or a self-employment niche where the only asshole you have to deal with is yourself. Despite what many self-help authors might claim, I don't think we can change who we are or make other people tolerable through self-deception.

Also, hope for a zombie apocalypse.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dadabhoy, who is not yet 30, said, "I’m still marginally involved," but that she has "publicly and privately disassociated" herself from a lot of organizations and writes and tweets much less about atheism, often focusing instead on her work as a kitten foster.
You can make a career as a kitten foster? Stupid me -- I used to do it for years for free, all while working 60 hours at another job.

John D

Post by John D »

Okay... so the Forrest Whitaker stuff reminded my of this Jodi Foster classic.... for some reason....

If I want my wife to laugh I start imitating this movie... oh man.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Marcotte's article included peripheral nobodies like Alex Gabriel and Heina Dadabhoy, but made no mention of Peez. There doesn't seem to be anyone left (other than his blue-haired boopsie) he hasn't alienated.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Lol.

Watching PZ and Skank Bitch trying to jump on the MeToo bandwagon to reignite their 5 milli-seconds of Z-list fame.

Lol.

PS - If you're reading this, PZ - go and fuck yourself with a red hot poker. Go on. Goooonnnn!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

PZ has his own #MeToo problems to worry about. It's the standard you walk past after all.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Science denialism is "activism" when We Do It: a "comedian" is trying to derail a campaign to inform people of the cancer risk associated with obesity for "fat shaming".
Sofie Hagen, a Danish-born comedian who has lived in the UK since 2012 and appeared on the BBC multiple times, tweeted a picture of the poster, which spells out "OBESITY" with some missing letters, and asks readers to guess what the biggest cause of cancer is, after smoking.

Another advertisement in the campaign features chips presented in a cigarette packet.

She wrote: "Right, is anyone currently working on getting this piece of s--- CancerResearchUK advert removed from everywhere? Is there something I can sign? How the f---ing f--- is this okay?"
Professor Linda Bauld, Cancer Research UK’s prevention expert, said: “The aim of the charity’s campaign is to raise awareness of the fact that obesity is the biggest preventable cause of cancer after smoking. This is not about fat shaming. It is based on scientific evidence and designed to give important information to the public. Only 15% of people are aware that obesity is a cause of cancer. Cancer Research UK has a duty to put that message in the public domain.
Meh, who cares if obese people have a higher likelihood of getting cancer, as long as someone precious feelings aren't offended :bjarte:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote: Marcotte's article included peripheral nobodies like Alex Gabriel and Heina Dadabhoy, but made no mention of Peez. There doesn't seem to be anyone left (other than his blue-haired boopsie) he hasn't alienated.
It's BECAUSE Marcotte talked to nobodies like Gabriel and Dadabhoy that she doesn't mention the Big Peeze. They both fled FTB for "the Orbit", largely because they were fed up with Myers.

Really?

Post by Really? »

John D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Tigzy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Amanda Marcotte rehashes Elevatorgate. All the usual suspects appear and the Pit gets a mention.

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/02/for-at ... -too-late/
:lol: That is some funny ol shite.
Oh Man! Haha! I am laughing so hard I may need to leave my office. Salon.... what a piece of shit. They still accept articles from the likes of Smellody. WTF. Life is so weird. And she talks about the pit like we invented shitposting or something. Wow... haha. Maybe we will get some new members cause we are shitposters extraordinaire! :lol:
She's such a good journalist because she links to rationalwiki's BS about the Pit instead of actually linking to the pit. How honest.

And it's hilarious that she gives us all of the credit for the anti-SJW resistance and claims we coordinated "abuse" even though you won't find any of that on the board.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The Pit started GamerGate. The Pit got Trump elected. The Pit also killed Brianna Wu's dog and is assisting Elon Musk in trying to bombard the earth with moon rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpOjj4YD8c

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Tigzy wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: Forest Whitaker IMO is one of the best actors out there, one of his finest performances was in the equally superb (but often overlooked) cop drama 'The Shield'
Still, that accent of his in The Crying Game. Well...gorblimey.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSxeITKxyw
I'll forgive him that, not a bad effort really, certainly no Dick Van Dyke anyway. To be fair I've never seen a Yank actor quite perfect a 'propa' Cockney accent anyway, Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow probably being the best effort I've heard. They seem to be okay with Standard English (Gwenyth Paltrow, Sliding Doors & Shakespeare in love) (Reese Witherspoon, Briget Jones) but struggle when it comes to a regional Accent. Lets see one try a bit of Barnsley. ;)

I'll give a shout out for Brad Pitt's 'pikey' in Snatch seeing as no one could understand a word he fucking said, he got that bit off to a tee.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Of course I meant Rene Zellweger not Reece Witherspoon (I always seem to get them mixed up for some reason) :oops:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote: Meh, who cares if obese people have a higher likelihood of getting cancer, as long as someone precious feelings aren't offended :bjarte:
Sophie Hagen-Daaz is more likely to choke on something.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

For those who haven't heard of the latest brouhaha, three of the "Women's March" leaders, including the now infamous Linda Sarsour, have been caught being chummy with the leader of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan, a man whose ideas about Jews are pretty much the same as those of many neo-nazis.

Farrakhan is so toxic that even the Untouchable Linda is taking some flak, especially since she and another Women's March organized, Tamika Mallory, are now engaging in defending Farrakhan from the Evil White Supremacists who are attacking a Leader of Color.

Things have spiraled so much that Mallory has tweeted about people "who have the same enemies as Jesus" as being worthy of praise in the context of praising Farrakhan (I don't think she meant the Romans).

It's here, reported on by CNN's Jake Tapper, a guy who apparently doesn't like bullshit, whether it comes from Trumpkins or from those who like a virulent anti-semite because he's so Woke.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote: The Pit also killed Brianna Wu's dog
Brianna Wu's dog committed suicide. You would too, were you Brianna Wu's anything.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Really? wrote:
She's such a good journalist because she links to rationalwiki's BS about the Pit instead of actually linking to the pit. How honest.

And it's hilarious that she gives us all of the credit for the anti-SJW resistance and claims we coordinated "abuse" even though you won't find any of that on the board.
And if I recall correctly , Doxxing is a bannable offence here so none of that stuff goes on here.

If some of the shoops show up in searches , blame Google's algorithm. They're not posted on big social platforms.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

shoutinghorse wrote: I'll forgive him that, not a bad effort really, certainly no Dick Van Dyke anyway. To be fair I've never seen a Yank actor quite perfect a 'propa' Cockney accent anyway, Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow probably being the best effort I've heard. They seem to be okay with Standard English (Gwenyth Paltrow, Sliding Doors & Shakespeare in love) (Reese Witherspoon, Briget Jones) but struggle when it comes to a regional Accent. Lets see one try a bit of Barnsley. ;)

I'll give a shout out for Brad Pitt's 'pikey' in Snatch seeing as no one could understand a word he fucking said, he got that bit off to a tee.
It's dismaying to see how good Brits and Aussies are at playing Americans, when the inverse is so often much worse. Apart from a couple of exceptions, you wouldn't know Ridley Scott stuffed the cast of Black Hawk Down with non-Americans.

Domhnall Gleeson is superb at playing Americans. His poor daddy, on the other hand, turned in a comical speedbump of a performance in The Green Zone. It was a reassuring to see someone as good as Brendan struggle with the accent for once :D

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Err......

https://i.imgur.com/rLyq9my.png

Hey Meyers, did you never read one of Becky's hungover comments from the past 5 years, when she took delight in announcing that the poor suckers who had paid to see her speak were about to witness an off-the-cuff, rambling half hour of the most incoherent bullshit (other people's) money could buy? Christ.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:42 pm
Dadabhoy, who is not yet 30, said, "I’m still marginally involved," but that she has "publicly and privately disassociated" herself from a lot of organizations and writes and tweets much less about atheism, often focusing instead on her work as a kitten foster.
You can make a career as a kitten foster? Stupid me -- I used to do it for years for free, all while working 60 hours at another job.
Try some understanding. As a muslim-turned-atheist, she was forced to become a kitten foster just like Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

(Is that the new word for crazy cat lady?)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm
Marcotte's article included peripheral nobodies like Alex Gabriel and Heina Dadabhoy, but made no mention of Peez. There doesn't seem to be anyone left (other than his blue-haired boopsie) he hasn't alienated.
He mentions Watson, but does Watson ever mention him?

feathers

Post by feathers »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm
Lol.

Watching PZ and Skank Bitch trying to jump on the MeToo bandwagon to reignite their 5 milli-seconds of Z-list fame.

Lol.

PS - If you're reading this, PZ - go and fuck yourself with a red hot poker. Go on. Goooonnnn!
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqkaa ... o1_500.gif

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

I think we get a lot of practice to be fair Ape, we get a heck of a lot of US TV shows over here as well as Movies and everyone seems to sing pop songs with an American accent anyway so we kind of learn how to do a generic US accent very early, I watch my 4yr old granddaughter sing along to Frozen and she's got it off to a tee.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Ape+lust wrote:
It's dismaying to see how good Brits and Aussies are at playing Americans, when the inverse is so often much worse. Apart from a couple of exceptions, you wouldn't know Ridley Scott stuffed the cast of Black Hawk Down with non-Americans.

Domhnall Gleeson is superb at playing Americans. His poor daddy, on the other hand, turned in a comical speedbump of a performance in The Green Zone. It was a reassuring to see someone as good as Brendan struggle with the accent for once :D
I always thought that Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel were fairly convincing when playing Americans on screen.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I just realized Marcotte dead-pronouned Heina, calling her "she" instead of "they" or whatever signifies 'into group gropes at Skepticon - just not any including Richard Carrier'.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

MarcusAu wrote: I always thought that Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel were fairly convincing when playing Americans on screen.
Better than Anthony Perkins at cross-dressing horror, too.

https://i.imgur.com/KjNZLdZ.jpg

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Really? wrote:
John D wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Tigzy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Amanda Marcotte rehashes Elevatorgate. All the usual suspects appear and the Pit gets a mention.

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/02/for-at ... -too-late/
:lol: That is some funny ol shite.
Oh Man! Haha! I am laughing so hard I may need to leave my office. Salon.... what a piece of shit. They still accept articles from the likes of Smellody. WTF. Life is so weird. And she talks about the pit like we invented shitposting or something. Wow... haha. Maybe we will get some new members cause we are shitposters extraordinaire! :lol:

I've just read the Salon piece. What year is this?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

It seems rather sad to see a fruitcake like Marcotte trying to stay relevant. I don't think I've heard of her in years.

They had their shot, and they fucked it up like they fuck everything up.

Good riddance, you useless moochers.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

#卐

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Anyway, night night everyone. ;)
Attachments
dash.PNG
(494.72 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ape+lust wrote: Domhnall Gleeson is superb at playing Americans. His poor daddy, on the other hand, turned in a comical speedbump of a performance in The Green Zone. It was a reassuring to see someone as good as Brendan struggle with the accent for once :D
I first caught wind of Domhnall Gleeson in Dredd, and I honestly thought it was some American character actor in the role. His English accent is crystal too.

The best English accent I've ever seen done by a Johnny Foreigner type was Colm Meaney (also Irish - maybe there's something in that?) playing Middlesbrough native Don Revie in The Damned United. It's so impressive because it's one of those regional accents that's tough even for English folk outside the area to get the hang of.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Sulman wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:47 pm
It seems rather sad to see a fruitcake like Marcotte trying to stay relevant. I don't think I've heard of her in years.

They had their shot, and they fucked it up like they fuck everything up.

Good riddance, you useless moochers.
Seeing her at Salon and Slate from time to time I gather she intentionally tried to transition herself away from female problems into being a political analyst. I suspect that would be a good transition for her as she ages and if it were successful. Her background is that she's an English major with a blog that was promoted by Ezra Klein and Markos Moulitsas in their early days, so I don't think her transition from angry female blogger with female problems to political analyst has been all that successful.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: The Pit also killed Brianna Wu's dog
Brianna Wu's dog committed suicide. You would too, were you Brianna Wu's anything.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Kirbmarc wrote: The Pit started GamerGate. The Pit got Trump elected. The Pit also killed Brianna Wu's dog and is assisting Elon Musk in trying to bombard the earth with moon rocks.
It woz the Pit wot wun it. Along with ARNIE, of course.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Okay, is this showing everybody else the same information that I'm getting on my phone? Rebecca Watson listed as the author with a link to Wikipedia bio of our favorite lying slacker-
Capture+_2018-03-02-17-25-27.png
(503.95 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Screenshot
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... 3MQ-5YCCGM
Link
I know Google results can skew wildly, and surely our Watson can't write much more than a blog post without collapsing from exhaustion.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Surely a case of common names, but that poor author, to be associated with THAT Watson..

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

herring:
SAM_5048.JPG
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 242 times
[attachment=0]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Surely a case of common names, but that poor author, to be associated with THAT Watson..
https://imgur.com/68MovTV.jpg

https://imgur.com/ieku4K3.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

By coincidence, my friend just posted this on FB, some guy doing 17 different accents:

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 am
Steersman wrote:
Apropos of:

Jeff Sessions does make a great Granny.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tigzy wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: Domhnall Gleeson is superb at playing Americans. His poor daddy, on the other hand, turned in a comical speedbump of a performance in The Green Zone. It was a reassuring to see someone as good as Brendan struggle with the accent for once :D
I first caught wind of Domhnall Gleeson in Dredd, and I honestly thought it was some American character actor in the role. His English accent is crystal too.

The best English accent I've ever seen done by a Johnny Foreigner type was Colm Meaney (also Irish - maybe there's something in that?) playing Middlesbrough native Don Revie in The Damned United. It's so impressive because it's one of those regional accents that's tough even for English folk outside the area to get the hang of.
Philip Winchester from Sky's Strike Back has a perfect English accent. He played the British guy but he's from Montana.

His American buddy was played by an Aussie.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am
Fat Ed explains low IQ among blacks: it's the lead --

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches ... l-justice/
Racial minorities are significantly more likely to feel the effects of pollution because their air and water supplies are more likely to be near the plants that produce it. A study conducted by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) scientists found that minority and poorer communities are disproportionately affected by air pollution relative to the overall population.
[....]
We’ve known this for a long time, but no one with any real power ever says or does anything about it. The same is true, and probably to much greater negative impact, with things like lead paint on houses and lead water pipes (poor, minority communities tend to live in older houses and neighborhoods that have this problem, which causes serious degradation of mental faculties and brain development). The tragedy in Flint, Michigan was just the tip of the iceberg. Many inner cities around the country actually have higher lead levels than Flint did.
Except Flint's water supply wasn't exposed to lead until 2014. Before that?
Over the past 4 decades, blood lead concentrations among US children have declined dramatically since the elimination of lead from gasoline, paints, and other consumer products .... From 1976 to 1980, blood lead concentrations among US children declined more sharply than anticipated after the phase-out of leaded gasoline. In 1978, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) restricted the allowable content of lead in residential paint to 0.06% (600 ppm); in 2008, it was lowered to 0.009% (90 ppm).3,4 There have also been significant reductions in tap water lead concentrations since the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) promulgated the Lead and Copper Rule.5,6 Finally, use of lead solder in canned foods and other consumer products was banned. It is difficult to accurately apportion the decline in blood lead concentrations to specific sources, but the combined effect of these regulations clearly led to the dramatic reductions in children’s blood lead concentrations.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e20161493

Now, one could conduct a study to identity & quantify any correlation between lead exposure and racial IQ differences. But why spoil the narrative?
Fun hypothesis: the reduction of lead levels in children led to the Millennial Generation. They literally have no Lead in their Pencils.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Kirbmarc wrote: For those who haven't heard of the latest brouhaha, three of the "Women's March" leaders, including the now infamous Linda Sarsour, have been caught being chummy with the leader of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan, a man whose ideas about Jews are pretty much the same as those of many neo-nazis.

Farrakhan is so toxic that even the Untouchable Linda is taking some flak, especially since she and another Women's March organized, Tamika Mallory, are now engaging in defending Farrakhan from the Evil White Supremacists who are attacking a Leader of Color.

Things have spiraled so much that Mallory has tweeted about people "who have the same enemies as Jesus" as being worthy of praise in the context of praising Farrakhan (I don't think she meant the Romans).

It's here, reported on by CNN's Jake Tapper, a guy who apparently doesn't like bullshit, whether it comes from Trumpkins or from those who like a virulent anti-semite because he's so Woke.
As someone at WEIT pointed out, you'd probably get better traction against Sarsour and co. if you were to publicly grill them on whether or not they support the strong anti-trans sentiments espoused by Farrakhan. That's the tribe liberals might actually feel motivated to defend.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote: As someone at WEIT pointed out, you'd probably get better traction against Sarsour and co. if you were to publicly grill them on whether or not they support the strong anti-trans sentiments espoused by Farrakhan. That's the tribe liberals might actually feel motivated to defend.
Yeah, you're probably right. Farrakhan also blasted Obama for endorsing gay marriage:
Minister Louis Farrakhan recently responded to President Obama’s endorsement of gay marriage calling him “the first president that sanctioned what the scriptures forbid,” according to a video posted by the Nation of Islam’s “official” news source, Finalcall.com.

During an address at the California Convention Center on Sunday, the Nation of Islam leader ridiculed the media for its portrayal of Obama after the announcement, and chastised politicians and clergy for hypocritically supporting gay marriage despite the fact that the Bible forbids it.

Throughout his speech, Farrakhan carefully points out that he does not condone homophobia, saying “I’m not your enemy. I’m your brother, and I do love you.” However, he said “sin is sin according to the standard of God.”

“Males coming to males with lust in their hearts as they should to a female,” he said. “Now don’t you dare say Farrakhan was preaching hate; he’s homophobic. I’m not afraid of my brothers and sisters or others who may be practicing what God condemned in the days of Lot. That’s not our job to be hateful of our people. Our job is to call us to sanity.”
But probably that's all forgotten down the memory hole, because it happened back in 2012.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

ieku4K3_LI.jpg
(603.09 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

Part of the legitimate criticism of capitalism is that it does reward you for being an asshole. I've "done the right thing" a couple of times and been rewarded with a mighty kick in the ass. There is more luck involved than most people care to discuss. Getting ahead often means pushing others out of the way.

From my perspective, the only way to be happy is to make peace with yourself and your situation, or try to find a job or a self-employment niche where the only asshole you have to deal with is yourself. Despite what many self-help authors might claim, I don't think we can change who we are or make other people tolerable through self-deception.

Also, hope for a zombie apocalypse.
I'm kind of lucky at the moment. My colleagues have more strictly defined roles so when it comes to appraisal time their line managers can compare their performances with targets, and with each other. My work is more as hoc. I'm also the union rep so I get to support them if they appeal against their performance review and I have done their job in the past so I know how hard it can be.

The difference between their 'good' performance and a 'bad' one is largely chance because it depends on things entirely out of their control. They work with people and I don't. Their performance is more down to the variation in the people they deal with - half of whom are ex-offenders, drug addicts and/or have mental health issues - than down to competence or conscienciousness. My performance depends on the IT. Admittedly the IT is shit but at least it is consistently shit so my performance doesn't fluctuate as much according to chance. Nor do I have to worry about the computers committing suicide or stabbing me in the carpark.

Management think they understand the other staff member's jobs (they actually don't as it has changed beyond recognition since any of them did it themselves) but they admit they don't understand what I do. That can be frustrating as they can't tell the difference between difficult stuff that I'm actually proud of because I worked hard at it and childishly simple stuff I can bash out in a few minutes.

I kind of feel guilty because if I hadn't been shit in the client-facing role I'd still be doing a job that I hate. It's like I've been rewarded for my lack of people skills. I'm also pretty difficult to manage for the same reasons that brought me to the Pit: I don't like to be told what to do when I know the rules are idiotic and I don't hold back in telling people more senior than myself that something is stupid or counterproductive.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote:
feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:10 am
There's nothing racist about this: poor white people in broken families with little in terms of home education or stimuli would equally have lower intelligence and achievements than rick black people in stable families with good home education and plenty of stimuli. I wouldn't be surprised if the children of Barack Obama end up being smarter and doing better in school than the children of a poor white family in Alabama.

For people who are not rabid ideologues with a chip on their shoulders there's nothing controversial in pointing out that gaps between groups exist, what is controversial is attributing those gaps mainly to genetic differences.
Blacks in America, especially descendants from slavery, have been artificially selected for physical strength and not particularly for their intelligence, from their initial capture in Africa through tens of generations in captivity. I'm pretty certain that contributes to their current state.
Without slavery there would be no NBA. Discuss!
LoL. It's an ill wind that blows no one any good. Somewhat apropos of which [SAOW], Canada's Residential School system being somewhat analogous:
Stephen Harper’s Aboriginal Agenda and its Unintended Consequences under Justin Trudeau

... .

The slightest pushback against the notion that the residential schools were a purposeful form of “cultural genocide” ends in the marginalization of bona fide scholars as bigots and the humiliation or firings of reasonable mainstream writers and commentators. Names and statuary memorializing former Canadian politicians who were complicit with the residential school system, even if their motivation was benign, have been “disappeared” with the full cooperation of absolution-seeking officials.

Reverence for Indigenous suffering and compelled ritual self-flagellation for the sins of our fathers (or “fathers” for immigrants who have no connection to this part of the national story) has become a universal ritual for all official political and cultural gatherings. It is forbidden to say aloud that many aboriginal success stories are rooted in residential school educations.

Residential schools must be held to be synonymous with every negative aspect of First Nations life: poverty, alcoholism, prostitution, intimate partner violence, teen suicides and elevated crime rates. Any suggestion that aboriginal social dysfunction may even in part be attributed to causes other than the imposed evils inherent in colonialism is considered racist discourse. ....
Hind-sight is a piece of cake, particularly when you can edit history to conform to current ideology.

And, since I'm in my cups a bit, and listening to a bit of CCR, and ran across this interesting comment that seems relevant:
Jeremy McClain 1 year ago
I'm a black man ...but I know SOUL when I hear it!!!.love CCR ....
Amen to that:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

After watching Shives's video on "Krauss-gate" I broke down and finally read the buzzfeed article. My conclusion: If he really threw himself at Hensley, he should have the book thrown at him. Because anyone who throws himself at Melody should be punished severely.
If Krauss is anything, he's like Weinstein-lite-lite Double No Calories. Most of the stuff is at the level of "he looked at me and I got a creepy feeling" or that people, primed by suspicion already, saw a mirage of his hand over someone's breast. In other words, it's sound like a bunch of bullshit. I'm sure Krauss is guilty of leering at undergrad coeds. Aren't we all?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote: PZ has his own #MeToo problems to worry about. It's the standard you walk ZOOM past after all.
FTFY.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

screwtape wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: PZ has his own #MeToo problems to worry about. It's the standard you walk ZOOM past after all.
FTFY.
Melissa McEwan has started her own #meToo movement. It's called #meFive. :rimshot:

I'm feeling a little nasty tonight.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Finally got myself a new calculator.

It has ALL of the numbers on it, even the ones we don't normally use, like 8.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

RE: Elevatorgate. I first heard about it from Marcotte at Pandagon. I had heard of Watson but wasn't at all familiar with her. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal. I guy hit on her in an elevator, she said "no thanks" and was left alone, she told guys "don't do that"(hit on women alone in elevators at 3AM). It seemed to me that the reactions were way out of hand. You had two factions, 1) REEEEEE! SHE WAS ALMOST RAPED! SKEPTIC CONFERENCES ARE DENS OF MISOGYNY AND RAPE!
2) REEEEEE! SHE WAN'TS AN END TO SEX AT CONFERENCES. NO MAN WILL BE PERMITTED TO ASK A WOMAN OUT ON A DATE!
I thought both were silly but now with the Krauss smear campaign in full swing, I'm starting to sympathize with faction 2.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Sunder wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: For those who haven't heard of the latest brouhaha, three of the "Women's March" leaders, including the now infamous Linda Sarsour, have been caught being chummy with the leader of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan, a man whose ideas about Jews are pretty much the same as those of many neo-nazis.

As someone at WEIT pointed out, you'd probably get better traction against Sarsour and co. if you were to publicly grill them on whether or not they support the strong anti-trans sentiments espoused by Farrakhan. That's the tribe liberals might actually feel motivated to defend.
It amazes me that Farrakhan gets a pass on the murder of Malcolm X.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote: Amen to that:
I always associate it with 'Twilight Zone - The Movie'...but the song is good in it's own right too.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So...has anyone here signed up for the 'YouTube Union' yet?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

What's the YouTube Union?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote: What's the YouTube Union?
I can't tell anymore if you are being ironic, or post ironic or just old-fashionly sarcastic.

In any case it's the hot and hep new thing thats tending to trend (and also a response to the purge that happened over the past couple of days)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RfYt_p2mk

Get in quick - all the cool kids are doing it - I understand that Sargon has already signed up (see comments on vid posted above).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Browsing mumdnet for the 'transphobia' I noticed the praise currently being heaped on Jordan Peterson.

Feminists are losing pretty much every woman capable of reproducing.