There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10314
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3421

Post by free thoughtpolice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am

Are there lots of dance scenes in Black Panther?

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3422

Post by deLurch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am

Ape+lust wrote: That movie has got everyone on Twitter calling everyone else racist. The shit's really flying over there. If it has any effect on boxoffice, it can't be good.
White people are note supposed to go on opening weekend as this is supposed to be for blacks only. Disney's marketing PR campaign might backfire on them.

I have also seen reference that in some towns the movie is being shown in the shitty theaters and not the good ones.

And now Marvel is being asked to donate the profits from the movie back to black communities.
http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-cult ... r-petition

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disne ... ommunities

Disney marketing may have virtue signaled so hard it might blow up back in their face.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3423

Post by Ape+lust » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

John D wrote: It's simple I think. Reviewers need clicks and they out do each other for fans. It would be nice if their were some critics out there that didn't just compete with each other to gush over bs. There used to be a time when critics actually tried to find problems with movies to push movies to be better. It is just weird. Most Netflix series are better than most movies now. The whole thing's a big farce.

I mean really? Black Panther is better than Lord of the Rings. Or... I'm supposed to believe that it is better than Glengarry Glen Ross, or 2001, or original Star Wars. This better be the best movie I have seen in 30 years.

Whatever.... fucking Hollywood cunts... who the fuck cares.
I think it's a replay of what happened with Ghostbusters, only more intense. Ghostbusters was garbage, but few wanted to be dogpiled for being misogynists, so most reviewers lauded it. This time it's about race and people are being waaaay more assholish about it. That 3rd "negative" review is by an Irishman named Ed Powers and he's getting reamed as a Nazi hack who wants nigras to disappear. The fact is, he gave it 3 out of 5 stars, which means he liked it, he just didn't love it. But that hasn't kept his review from being called NEGATIVE every time it's cited.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3424

Post by Ape+lust » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 am

deLurch wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: That movie has got everyone on Twitter calling everyone else racist. The shit's really flying over there. If it has any effect on boxoffice, it can't be good.
White people are note supposed to go on opening weekend as this is supposed to be for blacks only. Disney's marketing PR campaign might backfire on them.

I have also seen reference that in some towns the movie is being shown in the shitty theaters and not the good ones.

And now Marvel is being asked to donate the profits from the movie back to black communities.
http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-cult ... r-petition

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disne ... ommunities

Disney marketing may have virtue signaled so hard it might blow up back in their face.
Good-good-good-good. The sooner Disney loses money, the sooner they'll learn ceding to justice warriors is like ceding to the mafia -- they'll never be satisfied.

https://imgur.com/Q28LiiT.jpg

John D
.
.
Posts: 4563
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3425

Post by John D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am

This shit is even making my wife sound racist... haha.... So, there is some kind of movie coming to TV about the death of Biggie Smalls or some such shit. So... they run the ad for this and part of the ad shows a black dood saying.... "This murder woulda been solved already if a white guy was killed!" And I yell at the TV... "Suck my dick! Why don't the black people provide the cops with any evidence or testimony... like white people do!" and my wife actually laughed... haha. She used to think I was racist when I said shit like this... and now she thinks its funny..... the SJWs are losing. My wife doesn't even watch the award shows anymore.... and she used to stay up late watching the Oscars or Grammys just a few years ago. Out of control. She hardly follows social media, but she is 100% done with being called a racist just because she has light skin.

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3426

Post by deLurch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

Ape+lust wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am
I think it's a replay of what happened with Ghostbusters, only more intense. Ghostbusters was garbage, but few wanted to be dogpiled for being misogynists, so most reviewers lauded it. This time it's about race and people are being waaaay more assholish about it. That 3rd "negative" review is by an Irishman named Ed Powers and he's getting reamed as a Nazi hack who wants nigras to disappear. The fact is, he gave it 3 out of 5 stars, which means he liked it, he just didn't love it. But that hasn't kept his review from being called NEGATIVE every time it's cited.
Yeah. I think a difference may be that this film might actually be decent by superhero movie standards.

But who would know? Anyone speaking ill or even average of the film is getting branded as a racist. It sounds like career suicide for film critics to say anything bad about the movie.

I am going to wait until audiences actually see the movie and can report back.

Then again, I have a feeling that Disney's PR marketing campaign is purposely using racial divisive rhetoric to market their film, as was done with feminism & ghostbusters. And if that is the case, they won't see one thin dime of mine.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4563
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3427

Post by John D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:51 am

Here is a gofundme to send the brightest young minds to see Black Panther for free.. including a meal. (Whites need not apply... buy your own damn ticket cracker... you already got Batman).

Prediction... next Halloween it will be racist for a white kids to dress like Black Panther. Any takers?!? 10:1 odds.

#blackpantherchallenge

www.gofundme.com/rdubp

Guest_d2e60302

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3428

Post by Guest_d2e60302 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:51 am

I picked up some sweet sweet karma on reddit by extolling how amazing it was that a [actually terrible] tv show passed the bechdel test.

I was hoping to come back and see my post with zero votes, and people telling me was a dumbshit I was. Instead it was upvoted nicely within the first 12 hours, and almost everyone agreed with me. A brave and stunning tv show.

Now I think I need to post how stunning and brave Black Panther is for passing the bechdel test.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3429

Post by Sunder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

In case anyone doesn't know, RT scores are simply "what percentage of critics said this movie was at least okay?" People getting upset over one movie getting a better RT score than another movie they think is better is nonsense. And doing so with regard to films that are older than Rotten Tomatoes or even the modern internet itself is even more nonsensical. Modern film reviews are easy to tabulate, because the internet exists. Reviews for films that released 20, 30, 40 years ago or more require digging through old print media archives. A lot of old film reviews are just gone. Forever. Nobody bothered to keep a copy of the Bumfuck Nowhere Daily Times to see what they thought about The Godfather.

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3430

Post by deLurch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 am

What was the terrible tv show?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3431

Post by Ape+lust » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:04 pm

John D wrote: Prediction... next Halloween it will be racist for a white kids to dress like Black Panther. Any takers?!? 10:1 odds.

#blackpantherchallenge

www.gofundme.com/rdubp
NY Times, earlier today:

https://imgur.com/8zLR8T7.jpg

NY Times now:

https://imgur.com/KZ8CtNW.jpg

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3432

Post by deLurch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm

So word on the street according to buzzfeed's investigation is that the US Department of Education no longer cares about transgenders having access to their bathroom of choice. Reasoning is that bathrooms are assigned by sex, and Title XI addresses sex, NOT "gender" preference.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27058/de ... nk-berrien

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3433

Post by jet_lagg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Sunder beat me to it, but that does need to be repeated endlessly. Go to metacritic if you want the grade rather than the up vote percentage. The movie is doing very well there too. What I'm going to say will be controversial, but I think this is because MCU movies are really popular and Ryan Coogler is actually a talented director.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4563
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3434

Post by John D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Sunder wrote: In case anyone doesn't know, RT scores are simply "what percentage of critics said this movie was at least okay?" People getting upset over one movie getting a better RT score than another movie they think is better is nonsense. And doing so with regard to films that are older than Rotten Tomatoes or even the modern internet itself is even more nonsensical. Modern film reviews are easy to tabulate, because the internet exists. Reviews for films that released 20, 30, 40 years ago or more require digging through old print media archives. A lot of old film reviews are just gone. Forever. Nobody bothered to keep a copy of the Bumfuck Nowhere Daily Times to see what they thought about The Godfather.
So.... 97% of critics say Black Panther is "at least okay", but 92% of critics think Dunkirk is "at least okay"... haha... got it. Must be that every fucking critic on earth likes stupid fucking super hero movies!... got it. Critics just can't get enough of those fine fine super hero movies. We can't have too many of those!

I should think that at least 15% of real critics should be saying "NO MORE FUCKING SUPER HERO MOVIES!" But, maybe that's just me.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3435

Post by Shatterface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm

John D wrote:
Sunder wrote: Black Panther's 98% has nothing to do with "blocking hate speech" because the professional critics aren't the ones leaving retarded jigaboo trolling fuckery, not even the bottom of the barrel blog reviewers. What they're refering to is user review astroturfing. User reviews are tabulated completely separately.
I agree. I find it odd that the critics love it so well however... but maybe it is the best super-hero movie of all time... because it would have to be. The critics give it higher ratings than the original Iron-man or X-Men movies.... or Dark Knight....or... any other super-hero movie ever made. Haha. Something is up in Gotham!
Reviews are about reviewers, not films. The aim is to get your name on a Hollywood blockbuster poster without actually making an artistic contribution to the film itself.

I'm pretty sure the character was 'problematic' four or five years back for precisely the same reasons it is being championed right now.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4563
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3436

Post by John D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 pm

deLurch wrote: So word on the street according to buzzfeed's investigation is that the US Department of Education no longer cares about transgenders having access to their bathroom of choice. Reasoning is that bathrooms are assigned by sex, and Title XI addresses sex, NOT "gender" preference.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27058/de ... nk-berrien
Go Betsy! (and I think you mean title IX not title XI.... damn Romans!)

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3437

Post by jet_lagg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm

RT scores will see a lot more variation than an average grade for the same reason rolling ten ten sided dice and adding them up will yield less tail end results than a single hundred sided die. A difference of a few percentage points means almost nothing.

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3438

Post by deLurch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 pm

jet_lagg wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:10 pm
Sunder beat me to it, but that does need to be repeated endlessly. Go to metacritic if you want the grade rather than the up vote percentage. The movie is doing very well there too. What I'm going to say will be controversial, but I think this is because MCU movies are really popular and Ryan Coogler is actually a talented director.
I was looking forward to the movie, even knowing the story line of the black panther hero. The trailers I thought had good scenes and imagery. But the Rotten Tomatoes thing has put a bad taste in my mouth. The PR push is similar to what was done with ghostbusters.

Hell, it isn't that far off from how some movies are marketed to religious groups. But at least for those movies they are not shaming people for speaking negatively about the flicks.

Why can't we just go out and enjoy a movie and judge it on its own merits with out the whole thing being turned into "your a racist" or "your a sexist" if you don't absolutely love it.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3439

Post by jet_lagg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm

I'm annoyed as shit by the race angle as well, but I also really like comic book movies and have been excited about Ryan Coogler's talent ever since Fruit ale Station. I'll be in the theater this weekend. Maybe I should wear a sandwich sign threatening to punch anyone who brings up race.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3440

Post by Shatterface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 pm

I ignore critics, especially the ideologically motivated ones. Which is most of them. If I read anything about a film it's going to be about how it was made not about what somebody who had nothing to do with making it thought about it.

I have a pretty good idea of whether I am going to enjoy a movie. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and came away thinking 'well, that was shit.'

I have a good feeling about Black Panther based on the director and the character's previous appearance in Civil War. Disney can signal whatever virtues they want but the success of the film is going to depend on how well it entertains.


John D
.
.
Posts: 4563
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3442

Post by John D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm probably just getting old. I used to go out of my way to watch Siskel and Ebert's "At the Movies." But this was in a simpler time, and this was when movies were actually a big deal in your life. Hell, you couldn't just turn on Netflix and you spent your spare cash on a rental from Blockbuster.

Maybe "Black Panther" is really good. I would be 100% okay with that. It's not like I want it to be bad. and... perhaps within my own bubble I am missing the big picture. Still... a gofundme to send black kids to a fricken movie sounds pretty lame to me.

There have been black lead characters in movies and TV since the 1960s. Often, the black people were way cooler than the white people. It is not the fault of media for the continued dysfunction in American black culture. Finish school, get a job, don't fight with cops, get married.

When I was a kid Linc was the coolest fucking guy on TV. Does everyone forget this shit?
download.jpg
(10.02 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7071
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3443

Post by MarcusAu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm

John D wrote: So.... 97% of critics say Black Panther is "at least okay", but 92% of critics think Dunkirk is "at least okay"... haha... got it. Must be that every fucking critic on earth likes stupid fucking super hero movies!... got it. Critics just can't get enough of those fine fine super hero movies. We can't have too many of those!

I should think that at least 15% of real critics should be saying "NO MORE FUCKING SUPER HERO MOVIES!" But, maybe that's just me.
I'm not sure - but don't reviewers have an choice to opt-out if they are not interested in a particular film?

If so, then it would be more accurate to say that of those that chose to review 'Black Panther' 97% gave it an 'at least OK' rating. (For whatever reason).

Not that I've paid attention in a dogs age - but when I did I was really more interested in whether the critic had form (ie how closely their tastes aligned with my own). And it always seemed pointless in getting a review of pop-cultural fare like super hero films - where you pretty much know in advance if you are going to see it or not - despite what anyone might say about it.

nb I think I saw some push back against this being marketed as Marvel's 'First Black Superhero Film' too. As if 'Meteor Man' and 'Blade' and it's sequels can be conveniently be forgotten. I guess 'First' does not mean what it used to.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3444

Post by Shatterface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm

John D wrote:
deLurch wrote: So word on the street according to buzzfeed's investigation is that the US Department of Education no longer cares about transgenders having access to their bathroom of choice. Reasoning is that bathrooms are assigned by sex, and Title XI addresses sex, NOT "gender" preference.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27058/de ... nk-berrien
Go Betsy! (and I think you mean title IX not title XI.... damn Romans!)
I still can't help reading it as Title Icks.

DrokkIt
.
.
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Brit-Cit
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3445

Post by DrokkIt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:36 pm


Labour is increasingly seen as the party for non-white people and preening Middle Class types, and is busy chasing every single "minority". It is getting into trouble with its "all women" shortlists being hijacked by transwomen, and Labour have suspended several women (all "feminists", all were feminists) for the crime of "transphobia". They host segregated meetings in Muslim areas, and now we are getting all the latest regressive po-mo nonsense cited above. They increasingly remind me of Trudeau in Canada.

Sadly, for its traditional white working class voters, the useless Tories are not much of an alternative. The Lib Dems are infuriatingly metropolitan, and fail to defend secular and liberal values when they are called upon to do so, and UKIP have collapsed, not that they were a credible alternative anyway.
The Commander knows. Bang-on.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4563
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3446

Post by John D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

This is old news folks.
The shows Star Trek (1966–69), I Spy (1965–68), The Bill Cosby Show (1969–71), Room 222 (1969-74), Mannix (1967-75), Mission: Impossible (1966-73), Julia (1968–71), The Flip Wilson Show (1970–74), and The Mod Squad (1968–73) were among the first programs to feature African-Americans as stars since the stereotyped roles of Amos ’n’ Andy and Beulah (ABC, 1950–53).[11] Significantly, The Mod Squad presented an African-American character (Linc) as being on an equal footing, as roles went, to the Caucasian characters (Barnes and Cochran). In one Mod Squad episode, the script called for Linc to give Barnes a "friendly kiss". Since the first interracial kiss on an American television show was in 1967, this was still fairly new territory in popular culture.[12] The studio was frightened of a negative public reaction, so they asked Spelling to cut it:[7]:67–68

"You can't do that," I was told. "You can't have a black man kissing a white girl." I won and ABC agreed to let it in, but they warned me I'd receive thousands of complaint letters. I didn't get one.[7]:68
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mod_Squad

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3447

Post by Shatterface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I suppose Black Panther is the first Marvel Cinematic Universe film based on a black hero but yes, we've had three Blade movies based on a Marvel character plus Luke Cage on TV, and numerous non-Marvel black superheroes like Meteor Man, Hancock, Cat Woman and Spawn.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7071
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3448

Post by MarcusAu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

John D wrote:
deLurch wrote: So word on the street according to buzzfeed's investigation is that the US Department of Education no longer cares about transgenders having access to their bathroom of choice. Reasoning is that bathrooms are assigned by sex, and Title XI addresses sex, NOT "gender" preference.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27058/de ... nk-berrien
Go Betsy! (and I think you mean title IX not title XI.... damn Romans!)
They're crazy.

http://www.legorafi.fr/wp-content/uploa ... obelix.png

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16640
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3449

Post by Brive1987 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Oglebart wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 am
Brive1987 wrote: im pissed and i just subjected my boss to a vicky inspired rant.

transpires her sister in law was (bullshit) at Auschwitz. i told her to get a pic of her tattoo or it didn't happen.

i can only see upside in this exchange
UK pissed or US pissed? Not sure what it means in the colonies.
Aussie pissed. Involves schooners. Being an optimistic sort I’m on the train into work now.

......

I finally gathered the energy to go and see Star Wars. The bastard isn’t showing anymore at the megaplex thingie. First SW film I’ve missed. Seems a bit fast.

I’m getting old.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3450

Post by Sunder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Someone on another forum said they really liked the MCU movies for establishing a sort of baseline of blockbuster quality. At worst the movies are "fine." Sometimes they're rather excellent. But by being consistently good enough, they set a standard for big dumb popcorn movie fare. If your movie isn't at least this good (and it's not a high bar to clear, but much of Hollywood still can't manage it), why should an audience waste time with it?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3451

Post by Ape+lust » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Prove...


shoutinghorse
.
.
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:01 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3452

Post by shoutinghorse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Godfrey reincarnate? :)


Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3453

Post by Sunder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

"If white people hadn't interfered and we had access to a magic space metal that can do almost anything we'd be so far advanced."

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10314
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3454

Post by free thoughtpolice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

This movie showing a strong super hero of color is not for the white gaze. :snooty:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6787
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3455

Post by Tigzy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 pm

free thoughtpolice wrote: This movie showing a strong super hero of color is not for the white gaze. :snooty:
Katamari might disagree with that.

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3456

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 pm

[tweet][/tweet]
Dan Arel, ladies and gentlemen.

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3734
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3457

Post by CommanderTuvok » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Ape+lust wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am
I think it's a replay of what happened with Ghostbusters, only more intense. Ghostbusters was garbage, but few wanted to be dogpiled for being misogynists, so most reviewers lauded it. This time it's about race and people are being waaaay more assholish about it. That 3rd "negative" review is by an Irishman named Ed Powers and he's getting reamed as a Nazi hack who wants nigras to disappear. The fact is, he gave it 3 out of 5 stars, which means he liked it, he just didn't love it. But that hasn't kept his review from being called NEGATIVE every time it's cited.
I remember listening to the Kermode and Mayo podcast (a cinema podcast) around the time of Ghostbusters. For years, they (and the people filling in for them) always banged on about how a Hollywood blockbuster needs to make at least double its budget to "breakeven", or be a "hit". However, when Ghostbusters was falling out of the charts, they claimed GB had proved the doubters "wrong", and that it was a hit despite all the horrible boy-trolls online, or something.

Of course, GB only just broken even, and it didn't do shit on DVD sales. So, they were talking out of their fucking arses.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3458

Post by Shatterface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Ape+lust wrote: Prove...

Thor proves the Norse gods come from another dimension.

shoutinghorse
.
.
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:01 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3459

Post by shoutinghorse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Kraut has reappeared on twitter :dance:

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3460

Post by Kirbmarc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: [tweet][/tweet]
Dan Arel, ladies and gentlemen.
"How many are homeless?"

Plenty of children, actually
Yoon Hee had no choice but to live alone in North Korea. So she did what many abandoned North Korean children do -- living on the streets, nearly freezing to death in the winters, begging for mercy, plucking grass for food and crying so hard at night only the pain in her face could stifle her tears.
"How many lack healthcare?"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV8Zzh8WkAAbZHY.jpg:large

"How many are in prison?"

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/ ... ge-169.jpg

But I'm sure Comrade Dan will explain to us how all of this is just dirty American propaganda, and North Korea is actually a worker's paradise, where all Nazis are punched and all those who are punched are Nazis.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3461

Post by Kirbmarc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Sometimes I'm very annoyed at how super-patriotic Americans think that their country is the greatest country in the world, and can do and has done no wrong.

But the self-hating Americans who think that the US are worse than North Korea are even more annoying.

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3462

Post by KiwiInOz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Tigzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: This movie showing a strong super hero of color is not for the white gaze. :snooty:
Katamari might disagree with that.
That was the white glaze.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12373
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3463

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm

jet_lagg wrote: I'm annoyed as shit by the race angle as well, but I also really like comic book movies and have been excited about Ryan Coogler's talent ever since Fruit ale Station. I'll be in the theater this weekend. Maybe I should wear a sandwich sign threatening to punch anyone who brings up race.
FRUITVALE STATION, Seriously? It played extremely loose with the facts to push a tendentious and racist narrative.

(That was my BART station back in the day, so I'm almost as big an expert on this as Vickie.)

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12373
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3464

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm

I'd set up a Patreon to help Comrade Dan move to the Communist regime of his choice.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3465

Post by Kirbmarc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/ ... 64x644.jpg

25.37 million people live in North Korea.

51.25 million people live in South Korea.

There's obviously some difference in terms of access to artificial lighting...

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3466

Post by Kirbmarc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/ ... 64x644.jpg

25.37 million people live in North Korea.

51.25 million people live in South Korea.

There's obviously some difference in terms of access to artificial lighting...

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12373
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3467

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Shatterface wrote: I still can't help reading it as Title Icks.
Not tit leix? As in I leix tits, so let me undress with the girls?

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3468

Post by Really? » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 pm
[tweet][/tweet]
Dan Arel, ladies and gentlemen.
Wow. In a just world, that is a career-ending faux pas. He is a social justice crusader and knows dick about the worst situation on the planet.

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3469

Post by Really? » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Kirbmarc wrote: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/ ... 64x644.jpg

25.37 million people live in North Korea.

51.25 million people live in South Korea.

There's obviously some difference in terms of access to artificial lighting...
You are revealing your ignorance. Dear Leader and his people are uncommonly dedicated to conserving energy to ameliorate the effects of climate change. Too bad the West doesn't give a shit about women, who are the primary victims of climate change.

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10314
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3470

Post by free thoughtpolice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Akwabe y'all. Another thumbs up for The Black Panther.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3471

Post by jet_lagg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

If you have kindle unlimited A River in Darkness is available at no cost right now. It's the story of a half Korean repatriated (as it was said, despite having been born and raised in Japan) to North Korea and the horror he endured there. In terms of depicting unrelenting hopelessness and human misery it ranks alongside Elie Wiesel. Hacks like Arel should feel ashamed.

Barbie's Boyfriend
.
.
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3472

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm

John D wrote: This is old news folks.
The shows Star Trek (1966–69), I Spy (1965–68), The Bill Cosby Show (1969–71), Room 222 (1969-74), Mannix (1967-75), Mission: Impossible (1966-73), Julia (1968–71), The Flip Wilson Show (1970–74), and The Mod Squad (1968–73) were among the first programs to feature African-Americans as stars since the stereotyped roles of Amos ’n’ Andy and Beulah (ABC, 1950–53).[11] Significantly, The Mod Squad presented an African-American character (Linc) as being on an equal footing, as roles went, to the Caucasian characters (Barnes and Cochran). In one Mod Squad episode, the script called for Linc to give Barnes a "friendly kiss". Since the first interracial kiss on an American television show was in 1967, this was still fairly new territory in popular culture.[12] The studio was frightened of a negative public reaction, so they asked Spelling to cut it:[7]:67–68

"You can't do that," I was told. "You can't have a black man kissing a white girl." I won and ABC agreed to let it in, but they warned me I'd receive thousands of complaint letters. I didn't get one.[7]:68
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mod_Squad

How could you forget Hogan's Heroes 1965-71. Sgt Kinchloe. The only one of the four under the command of Colonel Hogan who wasn't a goof or an occasional fuck up

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3473

Post by Shatterface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote: I still can't help reading it as Title Icks.
Not tit leix? As in I leix tits, so let me undress with the girls?
Titty Licks.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3474

Post by jet_lagg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'm annoyed as shit by the race angle as well, but I also really like comic book movies and have been excited about Ryan Coogler's talent ever since Fruit ale Station. I'll be in the theater this weekend. Maybe I should wear a sandwich sign threatening to punch anyone who brings up race.
FRUITVALE STATION, Seriously? It played extremely loose with the facts to push a tendentious and racist narrative.

(That was my BART station back in the day, so I'm almost as big an expert on this as Vickie.)
Historical accuracy is not very high on my list of concerns when I watch a movie. If you prefer something less politically charged and geared more towards entertainment Creed was also outstanding.

What are you referring to specifically btw? I only followed what was reported in the papers, but nothing jumped out to me.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3475

Post by Kirbmarc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

jet_lagg wrote: If you have kindle unlimited A River in Darkness is available at no cost right now. It's the story of a half Korean repatriated (as it was said, despite having been born and raised in Japan) to North Korea and the horror he endured there. In terms of depicting unrelenting hopelessness and human misery it ranks alongside Elie Wiesel. Hacks like Arel should feel ashamed.
American propaganda. Comrade Dan "Starbucks" Arel knows better.

Guest_d2e60302

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3476

Post by Guest_d2e60302 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

In addition to the other series mentioned, I grew up on

Julia (1968-1971)
Room 222 (1969-1974)

And yes, a huge problem of sjws is they truly don't know history, and think they are the first people to ever care about any issue or take any sort of action.

Another list
http://jfredmacdonald.com/bawtv/bawtv10.htm

Blacks and White TV
African Americans in Television Since 1948

The Golden Age Of Blacks In Television:
The Late 1960s
"Golden Age" is a term to label that period in the history of a nation, movement, artistic medium or the like during which its greatest achievements were realized. It is not an absolute term since it does not intend to describe the best possible epoch. That being the case, there can be no doubt that for African Americans in television, the last half of the 1960s was a Golden Age.

Speaking in July 1964, Frank Stanton, president of CBS, called upon broadcasters to launch a "mighty and continuing editorial crusade" in support of civil rights. In an address to the National Broadcast Editorial Conference of the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, Stanton called for commitment and advocacy. President Lyndon B. Johnson having recently signed the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1964, Stanton spoke now of the "pivotal point in our history" and of the need for television to utilize its "editorial strength boldly, imaginatively and with insight and wisdom."

This was a significant speech for it revealed the sensitivity and involvement many TV executives felt toward the civil rights movement, and toward the fact that the government and the nation supported racial reform. Stanton suggested this when he directed broadcasters to "use their 5,000 voices heard on 156 million radio sets and 61 million television sets, in a mighty continuing editorial crusade to make this new law work."

1960s Series Featuring Blacks as Stars, Co-Stars, or Continuing Characters
Sing-Along with Mitch (1961-1966)
The Lawrence Welk Show (1964-1971)
Rawhide (1965)
I Spy (1965-1968)
Hogan’s Heroes (1965-1970)
The Sammy Davis, Jr. Show (1966)
Hawk (1966)
Star Trek (1966-1969)
Daktari (1966-1969)
Mission: Impossible (1966-1973)
Cowboy in Africa (1967-1968) N.Y.P.D. (1967-1969)
The High Chaparral (1967-1970)
Ironside (1967-1975)
The Outcasts (1968-1969)
Gentle Ben (1968-1969)
Peyton Place (1968-1969)
Daniel Boone (1968-1970)
Julia (1968-1971)
Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In (1968-1973)
The Mod Squad (1968-1973)
Mannix (1968-1975)
The Leslie Uggams Show (1969)
Land of the Giants (1969-1970)
The New People (1969-1970)
Bill Cosby Show (1969-1971)
Room 222 (1969-1974)
The Protectors (The Bold Ones) (1969-1970)
The Flip Wilson Show (1970-1974)
Matt Lincoln (1970-1971)
The Storefront Lawyers (1970-1971)
Make Room for Granddaddy (1970-1971)
Barefoot in the Park (1970-1971)
The Young Rebels (1970-1971)
The Young Lawyers (1970-1971)
The Interns (1970-1971)
The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1973)
The Silent Force (1970-1971)
Now, in the second half of the 1960s, there were more than two dozen programs featuring black actors as leading characters, or in prominent, regular supporting roles. As in most of commercial TV, many of the series achieved limited success and were quickly canceled. Several programs, however, were ratings favorites and lasted for years. It is important, too, that relative to their counterparts in earlier decades, the shows in this period were practically free of racial stereotyping. The above list indicates the scope of network programming featuring African-American stars in this Golden Age.

As it affected the history of blacks in American television, the most crucial series in the latter half of the 1960s was I Spy. The program premiered in 1965 and co-starred Bill Cosby and Robert Culp. It was clearly intended to capitalize on the popular interest in espionage dramas created by Sean Connery's success in several James Bond feature films, and by The Man from U.N.C.L.E., a successful TV series of the previous season. I Spy related the exploits of two secret agents operating around the world to protect U.S. national interests.

But unlike other spy shows on network TV—Honey West, The Avengers, Secret Agent, as well as The Man from U.N.C.L.E.—this program mixed its international intrigue with a slight touch of American wit. This was because of the presence of Bill Cosby.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3477

Post by Sunder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I'm glad someone on Twitter took the time to acquaint Dan with the recent story of the escapee who apart from being shot at as he attempted to flee the country was found infested with disease and parasites despite being assigned to a critical role as a border guard.

As someone at WEIT pointed out when the story dropped there, they found a large part of his diet had been exactly the sort of food aid (mainly corn) sent to North Korea to help feed its impoverished citizens. This means not only is the country in such dire straits that it has to feed its military personnel with fucking donated food, but that that food isn't going to the poor, starving citizens it was actually sent to help because NK is an actual military industrial hellhole that would rather feed the war machine than its own people.

Dan, you're fucking abysmal at this social justice thing you think you're doing.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3478

Post by Sunder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Speaking of WEIT, someone be sure to let Jerry know about Dan's sunny disposition toward the worst country on Earth.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3479

Post by Kirbmarc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Sunder wrote: I'm glad someone on Twitter took the time to acquaint Dan with the recent story of the escapee who apart from being shot at as he attempted to flee the country was found infested with disease and parasites despite being assigned to a critical role as a border guard.

As someone at WEIT pointed out when the story dropped there, they found a large part of his diet had been exactly the sort of food aid (mainly corn) sent to North Korea to help feed its impoverished citizens. This means not only is the country in such dire straits that it has to feed its military personnel with fucking donated food, but that that food isn't going to the poor, starving citizens it was actually sent to help because NK is an actual military industrial hellhole that would rather feed the war machine than its own people.

Dan, you're fucking abysmal at this social justice thing you think you're doing.
For many people in ideological groups the goal of their actions isn't to build something, to improve things, but simply to shit on people, country, institutions and ideas they hate for one reason or another. Dan looks like one of those people: he wants to bitch and moan about how awful the US are, no matter the consequences.

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3480

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 pm

He's still going!
[tweet][/tweet]

Locked