There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 4882
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#301

Post by KiwiInOz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm

mike150160 wrote: Ah Jenny!! Even in the Railway Children she took her drawers off.
Probably became a habit.

https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incom ... 288143.jpg

VickyCaramel
.
.
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 am
Location: Sitting with feet up
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#302

Post by VickyCaramel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:17 pm

I should also say that the Alt-Right is largely America's problem. Richard Spencer is not offering to solve Europe's problems as far as I know.
We have problems of our own, I don't really need to be thinking of ways to solve black crime in America. The Alt-Right is fringe over there, it doesn't even register on the radar over here. I think the BNP got one or two councillors in decades of trying. when the alt-right have more seats than the Greens, then I'll worry.

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10322
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#303

Post by free thoughtpolice » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Kirbmarc wrote: So, in other news, Steven Pinker of all people has been smeared as an alt-right fan:
Who's the guy who creatively edited Pinker's talk to make it look like he supported the alt-right? Why, no one other than Sacha "Seminal Work" Saeen, a known liar who repeatedly tried to smear Sam Harris by quoting him selectively/pretending not to understand what he's writing.
For those of you who don't known Sacha, he's best buddies with Dan Arel ('nuff said), who praised his "seminal work".
PZ at his most dishonest takes up the cause:
http://archive.is/pJEAI

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#304

Post by Shatterface » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The concept, that the British could have a manned space program, categorizes LIFEFORCE as a comedy.
It's not our fault you and the commies nabbed all the best German scientists.


TheMudbrooker
.
.
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#306

Post by TheMudbrooker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Shatterface wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The concept, that the British could have a manned space program, categorizes LIFEFORCE as a comedy.
It's not our fault you and the commies nabbed all the best German scientists.
If you hadn't stopped for tea....

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#307

Post by MarcusAu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:19 pm

VickyCaramel wrote: I should also say that the Alt-Right is largely America's problem. Richard Spencer is not offering to solve Europe's problems as far as I know.
We have problems of our own, I don't really need to be thinking of ways to solve black crime in America. The Alt-Right is fringe over there, it doesn't even register on the radar over here. I think the BNP got one or two councillors in decades of trying. when the alt-right have more seats than the Greens, then I'll worry.
Have you not been following Millennial Woes homebrew version?

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#308

Post by Steersman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm

VickyCaramel wrote:
Steersman wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:59 pm
Steersman wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:27 pm
<snip>
And why do you think "the alt-right is wrong even if those differences exist"? Maybe because, as I've argued, many on the alt-right think that those differences apply to ALL members of the different races? That, for instance, all whites are more intelligent than all blacks?
I was trying to answer this when the site crashed.
Hope you didn't lose any of what you had written - can be extremely frustrating when that happens, for one reason or another.

However, while you've apparently "bought into race realism", I'm not entirely sure you've answered the question "why the alt-right is wrong", particularly related to my surmise. Of maybe some related interest or as a point of reference, the Wikipedia article on the topic which, somewhat uncharacteristically for them, seems off-kilter in disputing the concept of races and the idea that there can be differences, in general, between them:

<snip>

Sure seems highly problematic, at best, to be thinking that a person's skin colour, or any distinguishing attribute of any "race" for that matter, uniquely or categorically correlates with any particular set of values - good, bad, or indifferent. Presumably it is those values which are more likely to determine whether the corresponding cultures can "play well with others" or not.
I am not quite sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing.
Some of both - maybe not surprising when the issue is complex and the response is to several different threads, issues, and interlocutors. :-) But generally one can agree with various premises and disagree with the conclusion, and vice versa.
VickyCaramel wrote: My argument was that it isn't worth arguing with the alt-right. The very questions you raised are one of the reasons why. I will let somebody else argue about the Jewish conspiracy (or not quite a conspiracy) or if it is all tribes that can't play nice together, or just most, or maybe some. The Alt-right and far right have enough ammunition for fighting that battle indefinitely... but it doesn't really matter as the main chunk of the alt right seems little different to National Socialists and the rest of it seems exactly like National Socialists. Never mind the bad optics, I am not buying what they are selling.

Yes they are useful idiots by raising awareness of racial issues. They point out the problems even though they have no palatable solutions.
Certainly frustrating to have to argue with the terminally clueless, the stubborn, and the dogmatic. Although there's always some possibility of being guilty of that, at least to some degree, oneself. And that one might learn something from the exercise. Reminds me of a couple of observations by several mathematicians - from a popularization of a particular topic [Stalking the Riemann Hypothesis]:
... Connes recalls that his first teacher, Gustave Coquet, once remarked, "One does, by openly facing a well-known unsolved problem,
run the risk of being remembered more by one's failure than anything else." Nevertheless, Connes concludes, "After reaching a certain age, I realized that waiting 'safely' until one reaches the end point of one's life is an equally self-defeating alternative."

But think there's more than some necessity to do so - "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do and say nothing". And many have argued, with a lot of justification, that the root of all evil is not money but ignorance; Tesla thereon:
Of all the frictional resistances, the one that most retards human movement is ignorance, what Buddha called 'the greatest evil in the world.' The friction which results from ignorance ... can be reduced only by the spread of knowledge and the unification of the heterogeneous elements of humanity. No effort could be better spent.
One might argue that the human tribe is the one with the greatest call on our individual allegiances, although that's hardly a guarantee that that one is always and necessarily beyond reproach.
VickyCaramel wrote: In regards to UK/Europe -- My prediction, and I suspect that it will probably be the best outcome, is that one day after some Somali immigrant has slaughtered a bus load of school kids, it will trigger a happening. it might be that the authorities crack down and the Muslims riot, or it might be that white people decide they have had enough, and a powderkeg which has been brewing will explode. This will cause a climate where those who don't share Western values will no want to stay and force the sitting government to take draconian measures to end sectarian violence. And when it's all over, people will want to get back to liberal democracy and the rule of law... hopefully with a stronger constitution and new bill of rights. This would be preferable to voting in a far right government.

The British have a distinct culture where we improvise and muddle through, I hope we can muddle through this one.
Yeah; indeed. Sure wonder what it will take to galvanize (some zinc?) the population into realizing the odious and problematic nature of Islam. Although there is an increasing awareness that, as Anjuli Pandavar cogently put it some time ago, we are and have been "sleep-walking into a nightmare" due to an inability to fashion a "realistic perspective on and appropriate response to Islam". Ounce of prevention and all that.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#309

Post by screwtape » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The concept, that the British could have a manned space program, categorizes LIFEFORCE as a comedy.
It's not our fault you and the commies nabbed all the best German scientists.
If you hadn't stopped for tea....
Nor given away the secret of the moving tailplane, learned painfully on the Miles M.52.
600px-MilesM52_1.jpg
Any resemblance to the Bell X1 is purely coincidental.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#310

Post by screwtape » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Don't know how that happened, but the missing image was this one:
600px-MilesM52_1.jpg
(31.17 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#311

Post by Really? » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Vivec's comment on PZ's Pinker piece is hilarious.
If you’re referring to the NCVS, there’s a pretty heavy skew in favor of recording the sorts of crimes that people of color are arrested for (ie illegal drug related offenses being grouped in under the ‘severe crime’ category) while completey cutting out the types of crimes disproportionately committed by white people (ie white collar financial crime).
That is, of course, also discounting the usual gamut of problems with surveys – victims are fallible and by virtue of living in the US are inundated with racism and bigotry.
Defintely far from a bulelt-proof source, and certainly not one that dismisses the idea of unjust criminalisation.
How many of you are scared of being insider traded at a red light? Or embezzled in a dark parking lot?

And it seems like Vivec is calling the victims liars with regard to their testimony or something.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12385
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#312

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm

screwtape wrote: Don't know how that happened, but the missing image was this one:
600px-MilesM52_1.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

Compare to the Lippisch P13.a, designed in late 1944:

http://www.luft46.com/lippisch/lip13a.html


Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#314

Post by Lsuoma » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: So, in other news, Steven Pinker of all people has been smeared as an alt-right fan:

[bleat][/tweet]

[bleat][/tweet]

Who's the guy who creatively edited Pinker's talk to make it look like he supported the alt-right? Why, no one other than Sacha "Seminal Work" Saeen, a known liar who repeatedly tried to smear Sam Harris by quoting him selectively/pretending not to understand what he's writing.

[bleat][/tweet]

For those of you who don't known Sacha, he's best buddies with Dan Arel ('nuff said), who praised his "seminal work".
PZ at his most dishonest takes up the cause:
http://archive.is/pJEAI
83 responses - Peezy is probably creaming his BVDs right now.


Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#316

Post by Brive1987 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: How would a person come to believe an avalanche was imminent (and so flee their tent)? I can't think of anything obvious and googling only reveals what to do in the seconds when you see/feel the fracture line appear and can move laterally quickly enough to get out of the path. The time frame you have to act in appears to be seconds, which could explain cutting through the tent and running in your underwear (again, assuming they somehow sensed the avalanche from inside the tent) but not why they ran downhill. Maybe conventional wisdom was different then, but even that leaves the question of why they'd continue to flee long after the point it would have become clear the danger had passed or was never there to begin with.
One of Mykeru's links (now misplaced) indicated that how they dug out a spot for the tent could've undermined the snow bank on the grade, leading to a slab of the hard upper crust of snow to slide down. They might then fear subsequent avalanches. If this is indeed what happened, I believe the unexpected nature of it adversely affected their decision-making. And if you're suddenly crushed in a dark, flattened tent, you're not orientated very well.

It's all speculative, but beyond the fear of avalanche, the possible motivating factors rapidly turn implausible, from infrasound-induced madness to weapons testing, to escaped gulag prisoners, to yeti.

Apparently, the tent was collapsed laterally. Two of the party were slightly better dressed. Had they been the ones by the door, they could have then cut out the others trapped by the partitions in the collapsed tent. And it turns out the forensics, indicating the cuts came from the inside, is not solid. Three of the party had fancy Finnish knives; two of the knives were found inside the tent, still in the pockets of their owner's snow smocks. The third was found on the body of the older guy, Semen (yes that was his name), and he was also one of better dressed ones.

Once they'd fled the tent and proceeded downhill, they were fucked. Hell, once they'd shredded their tent, they were probably fucked. They needed to find a way to stay warm. The little fire didn't work -- two froze to death beside it -- and three attempted to regain the tent. Apparently the snow shelter Semen built for him and the remaining three was not considered sufficient. They'd cached some supplies in the woods that morning, and it seems likely they were searching for that when they fell into the ravine. Semen probably lasted the longest, as he scavenged clothing off the woman who'd bashed her head straight onto a rock.
Hmm. Let me add my two cents.

General Overview of Terrain and Movements

My Overview map:


Info on People

My detailed map:


Avalanche Theory

The ground below the tent was undisturbed and no one in the 1950s attributed the snow on the tent to an avalanche and there was no evidence of a distinctive “slab”. The slope is rated by all as unlikely to incur avalanches and efforts to reproduce a slab event have failed. There is no evidence on the slope of past avalanche events.

The injuries were also inconsistent with avalanche – chest crushed but no injuries to arms, head damage but no injury to chest, no items in tent crushed. The tent did not have its fabric pulled from the poles, the ramp was not torn. In fact, the tent was physically undamaged apart from the cuts.

The eight identifiable sets of footprints did not indicate panic – the route was unidirectional and ordered. The south tent pole was re-erected before departure. The group did not appear to run and no one (who was walking) appeared injured. Further the footsteps carried as a group indicating no one stopped or looked back.

Falling into Creek Theory

Dubinina, Thibeaux and Zolotaryov could not have travelled in an orderly fashion from the tent with their injuries. So the injuries must have occurred in the creek area. Yet, it is unlikely three individuals would sustain fatal injuries from a 2-3 metre fall at the same time. No spinal displacement occurred which is typical of falls. There was no evidence of ice lenses found by rescuers.

General info: The group probably died 8 hours after their last meal ie as soon as 6-7pm and before midnight. The cold snap that hit only came at break of dawn. The uneaten and undrunk meal and lack of diary records indicates an early “tent incident”. It is quite possible they were in the process of changing clothes when the incident went down, ie it didn’t happen in the middle of the night with people waking up in a daze.

What is likely

The march downhill is consistent with a desire for cover. Lateral movement would have been more typical if the aim was to avoid avalanches.

It is unlikely there was a catastrophic crushing event at the tent.

Slobodin was likely injured early on, during his descent.

Dyatlov likely left the RV at tree to search for Slobodin/Zina - having receiving extra clothing and leaving others to build fire.

Zina likely died last of the Hillside Three.

Kolevatov appears to be the only active link between two distinct parties: the “River Three” and the “Fireside Two”.

Semyon and Dubinina were not injured at the same time as he had her hat and vest.

Questions

Of the Hillside Three, Dyatlov died closest to the fire – what’s the dynamic? He appears still to be going up.

Who found and flipped Dyatlov over? Zina or Kolevatov?

Zina appears well dressed and busy. There is no evidence she was at the fire (burns or clothing swap) – what are her movements and did she liaise at all with Dyatlov?

Were Zina and Dyatlov principly interested in regaining the tent or finding Slobodin?

Why were Semyon, Thibeaux, Dubinina away from the fire while Yuri and Georgiy stayed there to die?

What’s the deal with Kolevatov rolling between the groups?

When did the Riverside Three get injured, how and in what order. It’s unlikely they were injured upslope at the tent (active clothing swaps, steady footprints, tent evidence, scale of wounds vs movement)

Possible (partial) scenario

Weird shit happens at tent. The party makes an emergency exit from tent and the immediate area before starting a coordinated journey to nearest shelter 1.5 kms away.

Slobodin falls and Zina searches (losing her flashlight) / stays with him before trying to get to the tent - unsuccessfully.

The remaining party stops at the tree line. Dyatlov leaves to search for the missing members and/or regain tent – unsuccessfully. He is found either by Zina who then tries to regain the tent or by Kolevatov coming up from the trees.

Yuri and Georgiy have a difference of opinion with the others after initial efforts to find sufficient wood fail. The party splits between the “Fireside Two” and the “River Three” with the latter seeking a lee from the wind.

Kolevatov initially stays with the fire (burn marks) but then leaves for the River group. He will act as a fourth link man for the this team.

After some time Kolevatov discovers the “Fireside Two” burnt, frozen and dead, he starts collecting insulation material – after stripping the corpses to provide clothing to other three.

Kolevatov builds a lair with an insulated floor but cannot convince the River Team to occupy it. The team possibly moves along the creek line immediately encountering disaster ....

Dubinina falls and quickly dies – Semyon takes her headgear.

Semyon and Thibeaux also somehow fall ….

Kolevatov shelters with the injured and they all die together.

VickyCaramel
.
.
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 am
Location: Sitting with feet up
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#317

Post by VickyCaramel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 pm

MarcusAu wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: I should also say that the Alt-Right is largely America's problem. Richard Spencer is not offering to solve Europe's problems as far as I know.
We have problems of our own, I don't really need to be thinking of ways to solve black crime in America. The Alt-Right is fringe over there, it doesn't even register on the radar over here. I think the BNP got one or two councillors in decades of trying. when the alt-right have more seats than the Greens, then I'll worry.
Have you not been following Millennial Woes homebrew version?
Nope. Last I saw he had about 40k subscribers, and I bet most of them are American. This is somebody with less subs than Australian Mens Rights Activist Gary Orsum....He's a nobody in terms of National politics.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12385
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#318

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Brive1987 wrote: Weird shit happens at tent.
Thanks for clearing that up.


Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#320

Post by Brive1987 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Weird shit happens at tent.
Thanks for clearing that up.
It’s best I/we don’t pretend there is much evidence for the tent trigger.

They clearly wanted or needed to exit in an non traditional fashion -either time constrained or they thought they were trapped.
They don’t appear panicked once they were clear - so the issue was locale related
They probably weren’t hurt during the experience so it wasn’t a major physical phenomena
They left the area without equipment so the perceived risk remained
We can discount UFOs, assassins and wild men so let’s go with the intersection of hikers and nature.

Based on this you would usually place your money on a wild animal (ie fear driven) or avalanche.

So it’s a pity there wasn’t evidence of such an event or the remnants of a slab shift. Pity too that the tent wasn’t damaged by forces other than knives.

I’d probably go with a nearby or semi imagined avalanche causing them to fuck their tent and exit the area. Huh. As they say in Australia “never leave your car”.

For really good 2015 site visit photos see http://www.dyatlov-pass-incident.com/vi ... tlov-pass/

Specifically the tent location and the rather restrained 15 degree slope above it: http://www.dyatlov-pass-incident.com/vi ... n-of-tent/

And the location of the river bodies - which doesn’t look like promising terrain for 12 broken ribs: http://www.dyatlov-pass-incident.com/vi ... he-bodies/

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#321

Post by Brive1987 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:07 am

Btw don’t bother buying “Dead Mountain, the untold true story ... “ by Donnie Eichar.

Here is part of bullshit reconstruction:

http://i.imgur.com/OUnvkXr.jpg

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#322

Post by Brive1987 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 am

This one on the other hand (despite its Matt unfriendly title) does a really good job of compiling available facts in detail without pushing a barrow.

http://i.imgur.com/XaweXcP.jpg

I’ve just bought the “Journey to Dyatlov Pass” by the dude whose web site I linked to. It’s his second book and I think he champions an army intervention. Given the guy is a nutcase, on the job for years, has written 2x books and has visited the site, I’ll assume there are nuggets embedded in the shit.

We’ll see.

gurugeorge
.
.
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:39 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#323

Post by gurugeorge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 am

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Weird shit happens at tent in Russia.
FTFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6dzgIzCbQQ
Heh, the great thing about Russian compilations is you get that bizarre mixture of Darwin-award-level stupidity and wonderful improvisational ingenuity.

SM1957
.
.
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:01 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#324

Post by SM1957 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:12 am

Black people are incredibly genetically similar to white people and very genetically distinct from other black people.

Claims http://londonstudent.coop/news/2018/01/ ... azi-links/

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#325

Post by Brive1987 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:11 am

The plot thickens. Apparently Lauren Southern is in South Africa now. Thought that was FaithG’s gig ....

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#326

Post by MarcusAu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 am

Brive1987 wrote: The plot thickens. Apparently Lauren Southern is in South Africa now. Thought that was FaithG’s gig ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkidP2OUCk

InfraRedBucket
.
.
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#327

Post by InfraRedBucket » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 am

WooWu makes late bid for votes for the Cuntie award,

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#328

Post by Lsuoma » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 am

Put him in the pocket for 2018, but I think that you'll be seeing much more cuntjapery from him in his run for congress this year.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#329

Post by MarcusAu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 am

Lsuoma wrote: Put him in the pocket for 2018, but I think that you'll be seeing much more cuntjapery from him in his run for congress this year.
I'm not sure that is the proper way to address future Congressatrix B. Wu.

Billie from Ockham
.
.
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#330

Post by Billie from Ockham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 am

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: The plot thickens. Apparently Lauren Southern is in South Africa now. Thought that was FaithG’s gig ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkidP2OUCk
I'm not quite getting the reference, given that Icehouse was Australian, unless you mean the accusations of racism that were reinforced by this particular song. But, to the extent that this has gotten me thinking about Jenny Agutter so early in the day ... thanks.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#331

Post by Kirbmarc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 am

Lsuoma wrote: Put him in the pocket for 2018, but I think that you'll be seeing much more cuntjapery from him in his run for congress this year.
"Winfrey-Wu 2020. Double W for Women.

(This message was paid by the committee to re-elect Donald Trump)".

Billie from Ockham
.
.
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#332

Post by Billie from Ockham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 am

SM1957 wrote: Black people are incredibly genetically similar to white people and very genetically distinct from other black people.

Claims http://londonstudent.coop/news/2018/01/ ... azi-links/
The quote in question is not as bad as you suggest:
“As soon as you begin to speak about black people and IQ you have a problem, because genetically-speaking ‘black people’ aren’t one homogenous group,” Rutherford said. “Any two people of recent African descent are likely to be more genetically distinct from each other than either of them is to anyone else in the world.”
And when you fix the word "any" (by replacing it with something that means close to the opposite), Rutherford almost has a point.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#333

Post by MarcusAu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 am

Billie from Ockham wrote: I'm not quite getting the reference, given that Icehouse was Australian, unless you mean the accusations of racism that were reinforced by this particular song. But, to the extent that this has gotten me thinking about Jenny Agutter so early in the day ... thanks.
I'd conflated 'Great Southern Land' (which could be Australia or South Africa, both) & 'Southern Man' along with 'Lauren Southern' (who is a man), and Brives general unapolagetic innate antipodean 'Southerness' without quite resolving what all the connections were. Then had to write it down to get exorcise the earworm / engram / broadcast storm.

Any deeper meaning would have to be at a sub-conscious level.

Not sure what it has to do with Agutter, but I'm due for my afternoon walkabout, so I'll leave it there.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#334

Post by jet_lagg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 am

gurugeorge wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 am
Great thing about Russian compilations is you get that bizarre mixture of Darwin-award-level stupidity and wonderful improvisational ingenuity.
My favorite Russian Darwin award nominee (he survived).


Billie from Ockham
.
.
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#335

Post by Billie from Ockham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 am

MarcusAu wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote: I'm not quite getting the reference, given that Icehouse was Australian, unless you mean the accusations of racism that were reinforced by this particular song. But, to the extent that this has gotten me thinking about Jenny Agutter so early in the day ... thanks.
I'd conflated 'Great Southern Land' (which could be Australia or South Africa, both) & 'Southern Man' along with 'Lauren Southern' (who is a man), and Brives general unapolagetic innate antipodean 'Southerness' without quite resolving what all the connections were. Then had to write it down to get exorcise the earworm / engram / broadcast storm.

Any deeper meaning would have to be at a sub-conscious level.

Not sure what it has to do with Agutter, but I'm due for my afternoon walkabout, so I'll leave it there.
Some people were upset by the ideas (which they [somehow] extracted from the lyrics to Great Southern Land) that (a) aborigines were white before "moving" to Australia and (b) aborigines are an example of "primitive man."

As to the last bit ... aborigine = naked Jenny Agutter. Everyone knows that.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#336

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 am

Billie from Ockham wrote:
SM1957 wrote: Black people are incredibly genetically similar to white people and very genetically distinct from other black people.

Claims http://londonstudent.coop/news/2018/01/ ... azi-links/
The quote in question is not as bad as you suggest:
“As soon as you begin to speak about black people and IQ you have a problem, because genetically-speaking ‘black people’ aren’t one homogenous group,” Rutherford said. “Any two people of recent African descent are likely to be more genetically distinct from each other than either of them is to anyone else in the world.”
And when you fix the word "any" (by replacing it with something that means close to the opposite), Rutherford almost has a point.
Or just add 'random' to make it 'any random'.

If it's just 'any' it could well refer to siblings.

Billie from Ockham
.
.
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#337

Post by Billie from Ockham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

Nope. It's the opposite of "random." The idea is that there are at least two sub-populations of African blacks (which an ignorant racist like me might call the skinny ones from the east side vs the rounder ones from the west side) that are more different from each other than each are different from, for example, a European white. So, you have to choose the two blacks in question quite carefully to get two that meets the requirements. It can't be done using a random process and it won't be true for "any" two African blacks.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#338

Post by jet_lagg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 am

Really? wrote: Vivec's comment on PZ's Pinker piece is hilarious.
If you’re referring to the NCVS, there’s a pretty heavy skew in favor of recording the sorts of crimes that people of color are arrested for (ie illegal drug related offenses being grouped in under the ‘severe crime’ category) while completey cutting out the types of crimes disproportionately committed by white people (ie white collar financial crime).
That is, of course, also discounting the usual gamut of problems with surveys – victims are fallible and by virtue of living in the US are inundated with racism and bigotry.
Defintely far from a bulelt-proof source, and certainly not one that dismisses the idea of unjust criminalisation.
How many of you are scared of being insider traded at a red light? Or embezzled in a dark parking lot?

And it seems like Vivec is calling the victims liars with regard to their testimony or something.
I've seen that more than once. It's a last ditch gambit to stave off the conclusion anyone who actually looks at crime stats will draw. Just announce confidently that minorities commit less white collar crime (this may be true, I don't know) and hope anyone listening nods and forgets about the whole thing before they remember violent crime is considered more egregious by pretty much everyone.

Billie from Ockham
.
.
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#339

Post by Billie from Ockham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 am

I would love to see the stats on "white-collar crime" broken down in terms of the base-rates of people in management positions, as well as race and sex. For all I know (as of now), the conditional probability of a person with access to the company accounts committing embezzlement is highest, for example, for black females than for anyone else. You just wouldn't hear about it, because black female CFOs are kind of rare ... because of racism and sexism and stuff.

My actual guess, by the way, is that it would be lowest for black female CFOs, but that's not really the point. My point is that some crimes require that one be in a certain position, while others do not.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#340

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am

It's bad when Damore suggests some people might be better suited to IT related jobs but not bad to say black people suck at embezzlement.

Maybe white collar crime just has a white supremacy problem.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#341

Post by Bhurzum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am

Fuck sake.

I just got home from visiting a friend. As I drove back into the village, I stopped at the little general store on the outskirts to buy a few bits and pieces and grab some cash from the ATM on the side of the building. As I walked around the corner, I noticed two young women ("Burds" in the local tongue) hammering away on the keypad of the ATM so I took a seat on the little wall that follows the stairs up to the ATM. Two minutes later, the girls leave, I hit the ATM and snag some cash. Inside, I grabbed the stuff I was after (dog food, newspaper, milk etc) and head to the checkout. Stood in the queue, the two girls (19-20 years old) move in behind me and start to snigger and giggle in hushed tones. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted one of them pointing at my ass and her friend digging her in the ribs with her elbow - then the two of them start giggling again.

At this point, my ego inflated to titanic proportions ("You've still got it, you charming old bastard" I thought to myself) and with a spring in my step, I moved forward, paid for my crap then went back out to the car. As I started the engine, I noticed a really strange but incredibly foul smell.

Turns out, I hadn't noticed a large pile of shit on the back edge of the wall (fuck knows how it got up there) and had sat on it. The girls were sniggering at the huge streak of shit all over my ass and the back of my leg.

Not only has my ego taken a hammering, I now have to clean up the car and bin/burn a good pair of jeans.

Fuck my life.

:(

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#342

Post by Kirbmarc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 am

Shatterface wrote: #339 Unread post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm
It's bad when Damore suggests some people might be better suited to IT related jobs but not bad to say black people suck at embezzlement.
Crime is sexist. We need more to get more women to be interested in crime. There are far too few female bank robbers and murderers compared to the general population.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#343

Post by Bhurzum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 am

Kirbmarc wrote: Crime is sexist. We need more to get more women to be interested in crime. There are far too few female bank robbers and murderers compared to the general population.


(I drool like a dog when I watch the above video! Rihanna is weapons-grade hawt in that outfit!)

VickyCaramel
.
.
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 am
Location: Sitting with feet up
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#344

Post by VickyCaramel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 am

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am
Nope. It's the opposite of "random." The idea is that there are at least two sub-populations of African blacks (which an ignorant racist like me might call the skinny ones from the east side vs the rounder ones from the west side) that are more different from each other than each are different from, for example, a European white. So, you have to choose the two blacks in question quite carefully to get two that meets the requirements. It can't be done using a random process and it won't be true for "any" two African blacks.
Does the undisputed fact that africans are different from each other bear any relevance to all of them being different to a european?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6787
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#345

Post by Tigzy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am

Bhurzum wrote: Fuck sake.

I just got home from visiting a friend. As I drove back into the village, I stopped at the little general store on the outskirts to buy a few bits and pieces and grab some cash from the ATM on the side of the building. As I walked around the corner, I noticed two young women ("Burds" in the local tongue) hammering away on the keypad of the ATM so I took a seat on the little wall that follows the stairs up to the ATM. Two minutes later, the girls leave, I hit the ATM and snag some cash. Inside, I grabbed the stuff I was after (dog food, newspaper, milk etc) and head to the checkout. Stood in the queue, the two girls (19-20 years old) move in behind me and start to snigger and giggle in hushed tones. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted one of them pointing at my ass and her friend digging her in the ribs with her elbow - then the two of them start giggling again.

At this point, my ego inflated to titanic proportions ("You've still got it, you charming old bastard" I thought to myself) and with a spring in my step, I moved forward, paid for my crap then went back out to the car. As I started the engine, I noticed a really strange but incredibly foul smell.

Turns out, I hadn't noticed a large pile of shit on the back edge of the wall (fuck knows how it got up there) and had sat on it. The girls were sniggering at the huge streak of shit all over my ass and the back of my leg.

Not only has my ego taken a hammering, I now have to clean up the car and bin/burn a good pair of jeans.

Fuck my life.

:(
In local Pit parlance, this is what's known as 'doing a Laden'.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#346

Post by Kirbmarc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am

>Be Stephen Pinker

>Be one of the biggest donors to the Democratic Party

>Be a lifelong leftist

>Be a highly respected academic

>Argue about how to counter the messages of the alt-right

>Commit the fatal mistake of not saying that alt-righters are sub-human blood-thirsty psychopathic monsters, but argue that at least some of them are average guys with cognitive distortions based, at least in part, on wrongful interpretations of real data.

Result:

https://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpr ... =544&h=264

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#347

Post by John D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

FYI - I have written an updated version of our SJW game. There are several new features.

1) Each player will be playing as a "character" within the game and these characters are called slaktvisits.

2) I have greatly simplified the scoring.

3) I have added more complexity to the Reality Cards.

I like where it is going. I must still stress that none of the jokes are funny. My focus is on getting the game to work and then working on the humor.

Please message me if you would like the rules and pdfs of the cards. Feedback is needed and appreciated.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#348

Post by Kirbmarc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 am

Pinker has done more for the Democratic Party in a year than PZ could do in several lifetimes, but hey, who cares, this carefully edited video proves he's a "lying right-wing shitweasel".

OK then.

So, who's next? Is Noam Chomsky a secret white supremacist for criticizing postmodernism? Was Bill Clinton a Nazi all along, and that's why he had an affair with raped a Woman of Color (Monica Lewinsky, Jewish women are WOC when compared to White Males)? Bernie Sanders has already been called a white supremacist. Al Franken has been declared a rapist, so he's obviously also right-wing, or a Nazi, or a white supremacist.

Hey, that Obama guy bombed the Brown People of the middle east, so he's at least suspicious. He wouldn't be the first half-white white supremacist in the world after all :bjarte:

Hillary Clinton is safe for now, but soon she'll be judged like all white feminists.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12385
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#349

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

jet_lagg wrote:
Really? wrote: Vivec's comment on PZ's Pinker piece is hilarious.
If you’re referring to the NCVS, there’s a pretty heavy skew in favor of recording the sorts of crimes that people of color are arrested for (ie illegal drug related offenses being grouped in under the ‘severe crime’ category) while completey cutting out the types of crimes disproportionately committed by white people (ie white collar financial crime).
That is, of course, also discounting the usual gamut of problems with surveys – victims are fallible and by virtue of living in the US are inundated with racism and bigotry.
Defintely far from a bulelt-proof source, and certainly not one that dismisses the idea of unjust criminalisation.
How many of you are scared of being insider traded at a red light? Or embezzled in a dark parking lot?

And it seems like Vivec is calling the victims liars with regard to their testimony or something.
I've seen that more than once. It's a last ditch gambit to stave off the conclusion anyone who actually looks at crime stats will draw. Just announce confidently that minorities commit less white collar crime (this may be true, I don't know) and hope anyone listening nods and forgets about the whole thing before they remember violent crime is considered more egregious by pretty much everyone.
The delusional nature of these statements is alarming because this sort of denial is so widespread.

1) The NCVS only collects data on robbery, assault, or burglary. Illegal drug use isn't even recorded by the NCVS;

2) Examples of "severe" crimes recorded by the NCVS "that POCs are are arrested for" include (FBI UCR data):
Murder: 52.6% committed by blacks
Rape: 29.1% " " "
Robbery: 54.5% " " "
Aggravated Assault: 33.3% " " "
Auto Theft: 30.7% " " "
Weapons Possession: 41.8% " " "

3) Examples of "white collar" crime committed by blacks:
Forgery and counterfeiting: 31.9%
Fraud: 30.5%
Embezzlement: 35.8%

(NB: Blacks comprise 13% of the general population.)
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... s/table-21

4) Arrests of blacks for drug use/possession, which supposedly skews the data, is consistent with the overall black arrest rate, and actually on the low end:
Drug abuse violations: 26.7%

5) Since 90% of crimes against blacks are perpetrated by blacks, tens of thousands of black victims each year would need to be lying to police;

6) Even if every single one of the non-black victims who reported a black perpetrator were lying, the overall rates of black commission of crimes would be but marginally reduced.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12385
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#350

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:31 am

VickyCaramel wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am
Nope. It's the opposite of "random." The idea is that there are at least two sub-populations of African blacks (which an ignorant racist like me might call the skinny ones from the east side vs the rounder ones from the west side) that are more different from each other than each are different from, for example, a European white. So, you have to choose the two blacks in question quite carefully to get two that meets the requirements. It can't be done using a random process and it won't be true for "any" two African blacks.
Does the undisputed fact that africans are different from each other bear any relevance to all of them being different to a european?
Shhh. It's best not to think too hard about memes that confirm your bias.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#351

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote: #339 Unread post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm
It's bad when Damore suggests some people might be better suited to IT related jobs but not bad to say black people suck at embezzlement.
Crime is sexist. We need more to get more women to be interested in crime. There are far too few female bank robbers and murderers compared to the general population.
It can't be s lack of interest in crime. At least half of the top crime writers are women and the women I know are certainly interested in serial killers and such. I think women just don't apply themselves when it comes to actually committing crime. Lazy fuckers.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#352

Post by Bhurzum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 am

Tigzy wrote: In local Pit parlance, this is what's known as 'doing a Laden'.
La-Den, god of outrageous misfortune has clearly blessed me this day!

The bald-headed cunt.

In all seriousness, I just got major earache from the missus; apparently I'm either a clumsy bastard or I was letching at the women* at the ATM. Either way, I'm a twat for ruining a pair of almost new jeans (Christmas gift - double bad) and stinking up the car with chemical death.

Note: It's my fucking car and if I want to bleach the upholstery, I'll bleach the fucking upholstery.


* Untrue - I was playing "Risk" on my mobile. Yes, I'm one of those annoying twats. 8-)

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#353

Post by Bhurzum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Shatterface wrote: I think women just don't apply themselves when it comes to actually committing crime. Lazy fuckers.
Time to shatter those glass prison bars?

VickyCaramel
.
.
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 am
Location: Sitting with feet up
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#354

Post by VickyCaramel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote: #339 Unread post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm
It's bad when Damore suggests some people might be better suited to IT related jobs but not bad to say black people suck at embezzlement.
Crime is sexist. We need more to get more women to be interested in crime. There are far too few female bank robbers and murderers compared to the general population.
It can't be s lack of interest in crime. At least half of the top crime writers are women and the women I know are certainly interested in serial killers and such. I think women just don't apply themselves when it comes to actually committing crime. Lazy fuckers.
It is not laziness, it is self control as any mother of a teenager would gladly tell you.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#355

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am

Kirbmarc wrote: Hey, that Obama guy bombed the Brown People of the Middle East
'Guy bombing' sounds like a polite term for tea bagging.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#356

Post by Bhurzum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 am

I'll just dump this here...


Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#357

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am

Bhurzum wrote:
Shatterface wrote: I think women just don't apply themselves when it comes to actually committing crime. Lazy fuckers.
Time to shatter those glass prison bars?
Before they abolished the death penalty it would have been the glass trap door.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#358

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Over at Jerry's:
Evidence that raptors spread brushfires to flush out prey

Now the paper at hand is far from conclusive, but it raises questions that really do deserve investigation, for it suggests that at least three species of Australian raptors, jointly called “firehawks,” spread brushfires to flush out prey. If true, that would mean that birds either “use fire” or “weaponize fire”—something known only in our own species.

It’s long been known that predatory birds from many places hang around the edges of spreading fires to snap up prey fleeing incineration or to feast on burnt corpses. But what’s new about this paper by Mark Bonta et al. in the Journal of Ethnobiology (reference below, free text and pdf) is the description of raptors carrying in their beaks or talons burning sticks from places on fire to places yet unburned, igniting new fires (they spread quickly) and flushing out more prey to eat. The study was conducted in Northern Australia, and the behavior hasn’t been described in other areas.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... -out-prey/

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#359

Post by Really? » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Shatterface wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 pm
Over at Jerry's:
Evidence that raptors spread brushfires to flush out prey

Now the paper at hand is far from conclusive, but it raises questions that really do deserve investigation, for it suggests that at least three species of Australian raptors, jointly called “firehawks,” spread brushfires to flush out prey. If true, that would mean that birds either “use fire” or “weaponize fire”—something known only in our own species.

It’s long been known that predatory birds from many places hang around the edges of spreading fires to snap up prey fleeing incineration or to feast on burnt corpses. But what’s new about this paper by Mark Bonta et al. in the Journal of Ethnobiology (reference below, free text and pdf) is the description of raptors carrying in their beaks or talons burning sticks from places on fire to places yet unburned, igniting new fires (they spread quickly) and flushing out more prey to eat. The study was conducted in Northern Australia, and the behavior hasn’t been described in other areas.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... -out-prey/
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fai ... l_Meme.jpg

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

#360

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

That really was the perfect meme.

Locked