In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
MacGruberKnows

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by MacGruberKnows »

jet_lagg wrote:

Who else said it was permissible to let the dude bang his sister, and who else is just waiting for the shitstorm that comes when incest proponents inevitably challenge the law and gay marriage analogies start to fly?
Don't know about brothers and sisters, but first cousin marriages among British immigrants from Pakistan are a thing:

55 Percent, British Pakistanis are married to First Cousins while in Bradford its 75 percent

...while British Pakistanis were responsible for 3 per cent of all births, they accounted for 30 per cent of British children born with a genetic illness.

The one upshot is, I don't think any of the women were married off to their cousin at age 6. So Islam is refroming, one century at a time.

Make that one millenium at a time.

Keating

Post by Keating »

I was surprised to see my results almost exactly align with Conservative, but not that Liberty was my strongest.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Fuck i just had to put down one of my horses. 28, had him 18 years. Biggest sweetheart ever.
Oh shit. I'm very sorry to hear that. All my sympathies.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Not banging your sister is one of those "shared value" things that define an internally aligned society.

Call it a gang colour if you like.
Banging your sibling is a sure indicator that pretty much everything else about your world is seriously whacked.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Your scores are:
Care 33.3%
Fairness 61.1%
Loyalty 19.4%
Authority 38.9%
Purity 44.4%
Liberty 61.1%

You have no one strongest moral foundation.
Your morality is closest to that of a Libertarian.
I am not sure how good that test is for political ideology. You may disagree with something, or think it unfair, but not want it to be illegal.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:And Africa?
Andalusia. Antartica. Acadia. Amazonia. I see a trend. Not.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:They really should just fuck and be done with it.
What if they're sisters?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Thanks everyone for the sympathies about my horse. It happens as I have a lot of old ones.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sunder wrote:
Hunt wrote:Of course, we can see why Peez is irate over it, it implies that he might be a complicit part of the system. For uber-socjus Peez, that is an intolerable thought.
It's more that Brooks is a white male who can be dismissed out of hand. Rest assured had any woman said it Peez would fall to the floor in contrition saying "yes 'tis true what a bad boy am I." Then everyone else would get uncomfortable and leave the room before he started touching himself.
As all identity politicians like PZ know, Jewish lineage is passed through the mother, which makes Brooks a Jew on the progressive stack. Why is PZ being so critical of a cultural Jew? What hate does he hold in his heart? Why does he think that an ethnic minority could possibly succeed in the media?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bro ... mmentator)
Brooks was born in Toronto, Ontario—his father was working on his PhD in Canada at the time—and spent his early years in the middle-income Stuyvesant Town housing development in Lower Manhattan. His father taught English literature at New York University, while his mother studied nineteenth-century British history at Columbia University. Although his family was Jewish, Brooks himself is not religiously observant.
Brooks is essentially a stranger in the United States who found his way to the top of an industry that hates people like him. Why can't PZ respect him? There must be a reason...

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Not banging your sister is one of those "shared value" things that define an internally aligned society.

Call it a gang colour if you like.
Banging your sibling is a sure indicator that pretty much everything else about your world is seriously whacked.
As Hemant Mehta's guest bloggers might say, you are being famuluamorousphobic. Love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
What if they're sisters?
Don't ruin this. This is all I have.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Brooks' started his career working for William F. Buckley. Democrats and Liberals have hated Brooks since then.

Unless he completely recants and pulls a David Brock, David Brooks will never have a Democrat say anything kind about him.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Care 33.3%
Fairness 50%
Loyalty 33.3%
Authority 50%
Purity 13.9%
Liberty 86.1%

Yeaaaaah it looks like I'm an outlier here

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I was supposed to go on a group ride today in the mountains, but I woke up with the runs. Fuck!

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Really? wrote:Don't ruin this. This is all I have.
I'd ruin the pair of them!

:P

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

How does a banal centrist like wokieleaks1 wokieleaksaltget suspended on twitter?

Apparently xe is now appearing as notwokieleaks

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I was supposed to go on a group ride today in the mountains, but I woke up with the runs. Fuck!
http://dayoopers.com/webalog/0a0a1206.jpg

;)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:

Who else said it was permissible to let the dude bang his sister, and who else is just waiting for the shitstorm that comes when incest proponents inevitably challenge the law and gay marriage analogies start to fly?
Don't know about brothers and sisters, but first cousin marriages among British immigrants from Pakistan are a thing:

55 Percent, British Pakistanis are married to First Cousins while in Bradford its 75 percent

...while British Pakistanis were responsible for 3 per cent of all births, they accounted for 30 per cent of British children born with a genetic illness.

The one upshot is, I don't think any of the women were married off to their cousin at age 6. So Islam is refroming, one century at a time.

Make that one millenium at a time.
The incest taboo is in general less strong for cousins. The Westermarck effect doesn't work for people raised in different families, and in muslim communities cousin marriage is often encouraged. Mo himself married his cousin.

In muslim communities "there's always your cousin" is often the last resort for single women who can't find a mate within the community that their parents approve of. The tight familial control of people's mating choices encouraged cousin marriage.

Indeed there are some theories (I don't know how reliable they are, but there's that) that ascribe some negative traits of extreme Arab and Pakistani tribalism to the prevalence of cousin marriage.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Cousin marriage is just a way to keep property and goats within the family. Also explains why so many muslims look and are inbred.

Sources: my neighbors.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Cousin marriage is just a way to keep property and goats within the family. Also explains why so many muslims look and are inbred.

Sources: my neighbors.
If people kept to fucking their goats and not their first cousins there might be more fucked-up goats but less fucked up humans.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Bhurzum wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I was supposed to go on a group ride today in the mountains, but I woke up with the runs. Fuck!

;)
Not a medical cure. Point in fact dangerous quack medicine. And, after mexican food, dangerous to innocent bystanders.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm not shoving a cork up my ass.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm not shoving a cork up my ass.

If a cork is not good enough for your ass why is it good enough for your wine?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You don't have to if you ask nicely.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:
I would not approve but if they agreed to be sterilized, and this means the both of them so they can not produce kids, then we are good to go.
I recall the question saying they were going to use a birth control pill as well as a condom, so I said sure, enjoy, have fun, ...

Why is sterilization needed?
Because the only other way to be sure that offspring never happen is to nuke them from orbit (contraceptives have been known to fail).

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Sad, unbalanced freaks pushing their personal issues onto society. The self-harm refusal to disavow this insane position leads directly to it appearing on FOX, and only furthers the impression among ordinary folk that the "liberals" (sic) are waging a Kulturkampf designed to undermine everything that is normal and decent. So they vote conservative.
I am starting to think that's the game plan. It's a particularly conflicted form of self-harm. The ego gets all that gratifying attention and its negativity gratified all sorts of subconscious self-loading while simultaneously providing a performative turn on the SJW cross. Fucking things up for other transgender people by alienating public opinion is either a rich source of guilt or of self-righteousness. Shitting things up means you'll always be the odd one out, the brave minority trapped in perpetualstruggle against systemic hatred. If you make things worse, you will have an excuse for your failings and insecurities for the rest of your life.

The normalization of gay men in many parts of the country must have been a horrifying wake-up call for that sort of SJW. If they don't say stupid-ass, divisive stuff and fsil to thoroughly poison the water in which the guerilla fish swim, then in 10 years they too might be No Big Deal. And how terrifying that would be.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

"...gratified all sorts of subconscious self-loading"" should have been "satisfies all sorts of subconscious self-loathing".

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Really? wrote:
Sunder wrote:
Hunt wrote:Of course, we can see why Peez is irate over it, it implies that he might be a complicit part of the system. For uber-socjus Peez, that is an intolerable thought.
It's more that Brooks is a white male who can be dismissed out of hand. Rest assured had any woman said it Peez would fall to the floor in contrition saying "yes 'tis true what a bad boy am I." Then everyone else would get uncomfortable and leave the room before he started touching himself.
As all identity politicians like PZ know, Jewish lineage is passed through the mother, which makes Brooks a Jew on the progressive stack. Why is PZ being so critical of a cultural Jew? What hate does he hold in his heart? Why does he think that an ethnic minority could possibly succeed in the media?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bro ... mmentator)
Brooks was born in Toronto, Ontario—his father was working on his PhD in Canada at the time—and spent his early years in the middle-income Stuyvesant Town housing development in Lower Manhattan. His father taught English literature at New York University, while his mother studied nineteenth-century British history at Columbia University. Although his family was Jewish, Brooks himself is not religiously observant.
Brooks is essentially a stranger in the United States who found his way to the top of an industry that hates people like him. Why can't PZ respect him? There must be a reason...
At the end of the day Sunder is probably right; Brooks is a while, nominally conservative, male who is crossing into their turf. A conservative, writing about class divides! They can't have it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
What if they're sisters?
There's a word in a Brian Aldiss book I can't remember which means 'Well and in bed with two pretty sisters'.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Shatterface wrote:

There's a word in a Brian Aldiss book I can't remember which means 'Well and in bed with two pretty sisters'.
Kundulum (from the story "Confluence")

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Well either way it will be hard to avoid leaving skid marks.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You guys are going to jinx things...I hope that Aldiss is not the next one to pop off.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:You guys are going to jinx things...I hope that Aldiss is not the next one to pop off.
I think he's retired from sf now but he had a run of about 60 years. Probably the last of that generation which began publishing sf in the Fifties.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:You guys are going to jinx things...I hope that Aldiss is not the next one to pop off.
I think he's retired from sf now but he had a run of about 60 years. Probably the last of that generation which began publishing sf in the Fifties.
Nevertheless, there is no reason for us to HotHouse a dead pool for him. I would hope that we don't Fast Forward a few months and then read his name in the obituaries.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Cnutella wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Sad, unbalanced freaks pushing their personal issues onto society. The self-harm refusal to disavow this insane position leads directly to it appearing on FOX, and only furthers the impression among ordinary folk that the "liberals" (sic) are waging a Kulturkampf designed to undermine everything that is normal and decent. So they vote conservative.
I am starting to think that's the game plan. It's a particularly conflicted form of self-harm. The ego gets all that gratifying attention and its negativity gratified all sorts of subconscious self-loading while simultaneously providing a performative turn on the SJW cross. Fucking things up for other transgender people by alienating public opinion is either a rich source of guilt or of self-righteousness. Shitting things up means you'll always be the odd one out, the brave minority trapped in perpetualstruggle against systemic hatred. If you make things worse, you will have an excuse for your failings and insecurities for the rest of your life.

The normalization of gay men in many parts of the country must have been a horrifying wake-up call for that sort of SJW. If they don't say stupid-ass, divisive stuff and fsil to thoroughly poison the water in which the guerilla fish swim, then in 10 years they too might be No Big Deal. And how terrifying that would be.
It might be self-loathing for some, but I think the malaise is deeper.

There really is a problem with materialist culture. Regardless of whether the claims of any religion are true or not, it seems that the majority of people (especially low-IQ people, those least equipped to try and figure things out for themselves) are just happier if they have some story that gives them a place in the universe, in the world, in their community. Then they can get on with living their lives, working, raising their families, being members of their local community. (We're designed for an ancestral environment in which we're fairly familiar with, what, like 50-odd people or something? Can't remember the exact figure of the average hunter-gatherer band, but something in that region. Also connected with memory.)

When you have a materialist philosophy whose moral element consists solely of a utilitarian, pleasure/pain calculus, with no over-arching stable mythos, then, while it might be fun at first to have no boundaries given by such a mythos, most people (again, especially low-IW people) can't handle it.

Hence the plethora of addictions, chasing after distractions, low attention span, chasing shineys and trivialities - constantly trying to paper over the Void.

And of course the managerial political/media (consent-manufacturing) culture is only too happy to manage that sort of scenario, and the economic culture only too happy to feed it. So you have an unholly mix of the Old Left (bureacratic, centralized control) and the 60s New Left (hedonism, search for stimulus) - and that's Political Correctness as a quasi-religious cult, devoted to the ever-encroaching micro-management of an ever-devolving Idiocracy absorbed in trivial, sensual pleasures, provided for them by machines.

That's why "the issue is never the issue" (Alinsky), that's why the working class, formerly the darlings of the Left, have been abandoned. That's why gays are being abandoned, that's why Jews are being abandoned, that's why women will be abandoned, that's why blacks will be abandoned, and eventually trans people will be abandoned - because those issues are never the issue.

All the victim groups are just purse puppies to show off in holiness spirals, Pretexts for status and control.

And meanwhile Moloch rolls on towards total control, eventually of every human being, eventually of every human act, with no allowance for natural spontaneity anywhere.

Black Pill anyone? :lol:

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Bicycle clips - time tested and effective as long as you don't mind sounding like you have water in your wellies when you get off.

http://www.bikes-n-co.co.uk/images/Adie ... _clips.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I need new friends...

feathers

Post by feathers »

Care 0%
Fairness 0%
Loyalty 100%
Authority 100%
Purity 100%
Liberty 50%

Your strongest moral foundation is der Endsieg.
Your morality is closest to that of literally Hitler.

John D

Post by John D »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

;)
Not a medical cure. Point in fact dangerous quack medicine. And, after mexican food, dangerous to innocent bystanders.
All I can think of is that monkey trying to shove that cork back in the elephants ass!

John D

Post by John D »

gurugeorge wrote:
Cnutella wrote:

There really is a problem with materialist culture. Regardless of whether the claims of any religion are true or not, it seems that the majority of people (especially low-IQ people, those least equipped to try and figure things out for themselves) are just happier if they have some story that gives them a place in the universe, in the world, in their community. Then they can get on with living their lives, working, raising their families, being members of their local community. (We're designed for an ancestral environment in which we're fairly familiar with, what, like 50-odd people or something? Can't remember the exact figure of the average hunter-gatherer band, but something in that region. Also connected with memory.)

When you have a materialist philosophy whose moral element consists solely of a utilitarian, pleasure/pain calculus, with no over-arching stable mythos, then, while it might be fun at first to have no boundaries given by such a mythos, most people (again, especially low-IW people) can't handle it.

Hence the plethora of addictions, chasing after distractions, low attention span, chasing shineys and trivialities - constantly trying to paper over the Void.

And of course the managerial political/media (consent-manufacturing) culture is only too happy to manage that sort of scenario, and the economic culture only too happy to feed it. So you have an unholly mix of the Old Left (bureacratic, centralized control) and the 60s New Left (hedonism, search for stimulus) - and that's Political Correctness as a quasi-religious cult, devoted to the ever-encroaching micro-management of an ever-devolving Idiocracy absorbed in trivial, sensual pleasures, provided for them by machines.

That's why "the issue is never the issue" (Alinsky), that's why the working class, formerly the darlings of the Left, have been abandoned. That's why gays are being abandoned, that's why Jews are being abandoned, that's why women will be abandoned, that's why blacks will be abandoned, and eventually trans people will be abandoned - because those issues are never the issue.

All the victim groups are just purse puppies to show off in holiness spirals, Pretexts for status and control.

And meanwhile Moloch rolls on towards total control, eventually of every human being, eventually of every human act, with no allowance for natural spontaneity anywhere.

This may be a particular problem with "low IQ" folks as you claim, but I think it is a common symptom of our modern times. I discussed this with a group of friends a few weeks ago. Despite the fact that I have everything I need, take long strolls with my fantastic dog, eat and drink whatever I wish, have plenty of free time, have successful kids... etc... I still feel a kind of emptiness. My activities and hobbies fill some of the space. I often have satisfying days. But... the whole enterprise of life has a bit of an empty feeling. It is almost like I need stuff to fight about to feel like I am making some kind of progress.

I could try to find a lover, despite the potential risk to my marriage. Perhaps a little high risk excitement. But, my sex drive isn't that high anymore and trying to temp a new partner into an affair sounds tedious and frustrating. I will just stick with sex with my wife and some porn.

I could take up some political cause, but I find that politics is just an elaborate form of group manipulation and lying. I can see through group think so quickly that I can't stand being in political groups.

Perhaps I need another project... like when I was building the deck.

Perhaps this is why I have been listening to that wierdo Jordan Peterson.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

John D wrote: This may be a particular problem with "low IQ" folks as you claim, but I think it is a common symptom of our modern times. I discussed this with a group of friends a few weeks ago. Despite the fact that I have everything I need, take long strolls with my fantastic dog, eat and drink whatever I wish, have plenty of free time, have successful kids... etc... I still feel a kind of emptiness. My activities and hobbies fill some of the space. I often have satisfying days. But... the whole enterprise of life has a bit of an empty feeling. It is almost like I need stuff to fight about to feel like I am making some kind of progress.

I could try to find a lover, despite the potential risk to my marriage. Perhaps a little high risk excitement. But, my sex drive isn't that high anymore and trying to temp a new partner into an affair sounds tedious and frustrating. I will just stick with sex with my wife and some porn.

I could take up some political cause, but I find that politics is just an elaborate form of group manipulation and lying. I can see through group think so quickly that I can't stand being in political groups.

You mean the pit isn't stimulating enough? :o

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

John D wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
Cnutella wrote: I am starting to think that's the game plan. It's a particularly conflicted form of self-harm. The ego gets all that gratifying attention and its negativity gratified all sorts of subconscious self-loading while simultaneously providing a performative turn on the SJW cross. Fucking things up for other transgender people by alienating public opinion is either a rich source of guilt or of self-righteousness. Shitting things up means you'll always be the odd one out, the brave minority trapped in perpetualstruggle against systemic hatred. If you make things worse, you will have an excuse for your failings and insecurities for the rest of your life.

This may be a particular problem with "low IQ" folks as you claim, but I think it is a common symptom of our modern times. I discussed this with a group of friends a few weeks ago. Despite the fact that I have everything I need, take long strolls with my fantastic dog, eat and drink whatever I wish, have plenty of free time, have successful kids... etc... I still feel a kind of emptiness. My activities and hobbies fill some of the space. I often have satisfying days. But... the whole enterprise of life has a bit of an empty feeling. It is almost like I need stuff to fight about to feel like I am making some kind of progress.

I think even atheists have to find some existential link to the cosmos "bigger" than them, something not-me, etc. I think Sam Harris' "spirituality" is a fine version of that for atheists, and Jordan Peterson's version is a more intricate version of the same thing.

Some people will go back to a robust form of Christianity (like Catholicism) and take it rationally (i.e. "God of the Philosophers" style - the Cosmological Argument in its Aristotelian/Thomist version, not the strawman version you find in barefoot atheism, is quite a tolerably rational argument).

Or look into Buddhism, or Advaita Vedanta, or Stoicism, or any of the other ancient philosophies _qua_ ways of life that include this element.

Heck, even judicious use of drugs can do it. Whatever. Just get that feeling of connectedness (re-ligio), and ease some of the burden of being a micro-God - let some Ultimate Concept shoulder most of the burden. Pay your money and take your choice, it doesn't really matter. Just so long as Church and State remain separate, believe what you like, but believe in something.

Even if you just LARP it.

I think when atheism was fighting for its own cause in the teeth of opposition, that could cover up the sense of the void with a fine commitment, but now that atheism has more or less won, it's faced with the question of "erm, well, what can we actually do, how can we actually live, in a meaningless world?"

It's all very well putting a brave face on it, but there's still a hole inside, and we as animals burdened with the ability to think simply can't live that way - and if we can't live that way, we'll just waste away, culturally, psychologically and physically.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

There's a line in an early Judge Dredd comic - where in response to Dredd's doubts about the job his mentor suggests that he gets a new pair of boots one size too small. The point being that Dredd will be so busy thinking about his feet that he won't have time to worry about anything else.

Joseph Heller in 'Closing Time' the sequel to 'Catch 22' had one of the characters puzzled by his son's seeking a sense of life fulfilment through employment.

Such worries and doubts are quite a luxury in themselves.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I guess I'm lucky in that I never felt much comfort in religion, so it's not likely I'll back slide into it. Most religion (and groups) are full of people (even if just of a passive-aggressive sort) with their own ideas about what others should do - and I'd rather not subject myself to that irritation voluntarily.

Past experience makes me think it would not end well in any case.

Not to invoke a sense of fatalism - but sometimes when I ponder all the events that led up to this moment in time - things seem to have a certain inevitability about them.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Leibniz was right and we live in the best of all possible worlds. What a horrifying thought.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

MarcusAu wrote:There's a line in an early Judge Dredd comic - where in response to Dredd's doubts about the job his mentor suggests that he gets a new pair of boots one size too small. The point being that Dredd will be so busy thinking about his feet that he won't have time to worry about anything else.

Joseph Heller in 'Closing Time' the sequel to 'Catch 22' had one of the characters puzzled by his son's seeking a sense of life fulfilment through employment.

Such worries and doubts are quite a luxury in themselves.
But the thing is, for the common people, having nothing to believe in isn't just some fey #firstworldproblem. It directly leads to family breakdown, crime, Idiocracy, etc., etc. Once again: smart people can just about handle it (at least the puzzle itself is an engaging Rubik's cube), but without that mental wherewithal, and without some Big Story in which you "know your place," life for most people is just a bundle of anxiety.

I think in the future people will realize that it was actually an immense act of cruelty to strip away peoples' deep beliefs the way modernity did. There were definitely huge benefits in terms of technological progress that came from looking at existence as mere mechanism (the power of quantitative analysis), but also some profound costs.

I first woke out of my dogmatic Humean slumbers last year, when I worked at the office of a Christian charity for a few months. Yes, most of the people there were "stupid" in the haughty sense we rationalists decry. Cringey cards and fridge magnets with uplifting christian messages, etc., etc., yadda yadda.

But nothing was more blindingly obvious than that they were having fun with life, much more fun than any other office job I've ever worked in.

And they were actually doing good too, they were helping out the street life late at night in various ways - helping drunks get home, helping vagrants find more detailed help, shelter, etc., etc. They hoped to bring people to Christ by example.

And that's religion at its best. I'm not saying that atheists can't do that too, but believing in something (again, even if you're only LARP-ing it) I think somehow integrates the mind, makes the human being feel at home in the universe, happy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That's something people will have to decide for themselves.

If I don't believe something then I'm not going to pretend I do - the best I can do in that direction is to let others get on with their own lives.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

MarcusAu wrote:I guess I'm lucky in that I never felt much comfort in religion, so it's not likely I'll back slide into it. Most religion (and groups) are full of people (even if just of a passive-aggressive sort) with their own ideas about what others should do - and I'd rather not subject myself to that irritation voluntarily.
Yeah, that's the danger, for sure - but it's just another kind of free-rider problem really. Human predators exist everywhere.

But is it any more of a problem for religious people than it is for an atheistic, materialist culture? Really? Do we really want to say that after the hecatombs of the 20th century, the insanity of SJW-ism today?

I think atheism has had its own myths and illusions for too long. Self-serving myths about the evils of religion and the history of religious cultures, etc.

Did you know that "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" was never actually a thing? It's a secular myth. Secularism is full of these little nostrums that have given rationalists a cheesy sense of self-satisfaction, and have allowed people to put on the mask of atheism to take advantage of people (psychologically, economically, etc.) just as much as religion per se did.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote:Heck, even judicious use of drugs can do it. Whatever. Just get that feeling of connectedness (re-ligio), and ease some of the burden of being a micro-God - let some Ultimate Concept shoulder most of the burden. Pay your money and take your choice, it doesn't really matter. Just so long as Church and State remain separate, believe what you like, but believe in something.

I think when atheism was fighting for its own cause in the teeth of opposition, that could cover up the sense of the void with a fine commitment, but now that atheism has more or less won, it's faced with the question of "erm, well, what can we actually do, how can we actually live, in a meaningless world?"

It's all very well putting a brave face on it, but there's still a hole inside, and we as animals burdened with the ability to think simply can't live that way - and if we can't live that way, we'll just waste away, culturally, psychologically and physically.
That's why I think that what we need is activism for secularism and for liberal democratic values in general (freedom of speech, freedom of thought, the rule of law, due process, civil rights, etc etc.), plus some useful activism for skepticism (which matters, since a good enough education on pragmatic skepticism is useful to avoid all kinds of scams, from the crude Nigerian Scams to the elaborate forms of scamming like Scientology) and to try to promote better scientific education (which is always useful), rather than promotion of atheism per se, especially now that at least in the "west" being an atheist isn't such a big deal.

A religious believer who's not in favor of obviously anti-scientific or authoritarian ideas is fine by me. If you see your god acting in mysterious ways that you can't scientifically detect and shouldn't legally enforce, quite frankly I don't care.

I really don't care about what people believe to get themselves happy, as long as they're willing to acknowledge that what makes them happy doesn't work for everyone, and so other people should be free to reject it, mock it, satirize it and not be persecuted, either by the state or by private individuals or associations.

The state shouldn't care about what you privately believe, only about setting a series of rules that tries to protect your rights to believe and minimize the harmful impact of your actions onto other people's lives and livelihoods. The state shouldn't be in the business of protecting offended feelings.

That's why today many "cultural Christians" or "cafeteria Christians" or even average Christians who aren't raving fundies aren't really a problem. Many of them believe in "something" but are ready to accept that it's "beyond science" and that they shouldn't kill or imprison or oppressing "sinners", "heretics" and former Christians.

The ultimate goal is to give room for muslims to come to the same conclusion: believing in "something" which cannot be detected and doesn't require killing or imprisoning or oppressing "sinners", "heretics" and former muslims. There's a long way to go before those ideas become commonplace, but a "softening" of islam, however improbable (and let's be fair, it's not very likely to happen anytime soon), is still more probable than a mass "conversion" to atheism.

The same thing is true for the SocJus. The problems with the SJWs are their specific anti-scientific beliefs (for example "no such thing as a biological sex") and their authoritarian positions, not the silliness of their gender identities. I'm perfectly willing to call a MtF trans "a woman" as long as they understand that a) they're not biologically a woman and b) they don't have the right to impose laws that punish those who "misgender" them. Of course it's easier for everyone is they put some effort into looking like a woman, and they should be the first ones to understand that how they view themselves and what the mirror shows would never quite match, but they can make some steps in that direction.

The big problem is how to get people to separate their private beliefs from science and the law.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:The ultimate goal is to give room for muslims to come to the same conclusion: believing in "something" which cannot be detected and doesn't require killing or imprisoning or oppressing "sinners", "heretics" and former muslims. There's a long way to go before those ideas become commonplace, but a "softening" of islam, however improbable (and let's be fair, it's not very likely to happen anytime soon), is still more probable than a mass "conversion" to atheism.

The same thing is true for the SocJus. The problems with the SJWs are their specific anti-scientific beliefs (for example "no such thing as a biological sex") and their authoritarian positions, not the silliness of their gender identities. I'm perfectly willing to call a MtF trans "a woman" as long as they understand that a) they're not biologically a woman and b) they don't have the right to impose laws that punish those who "misgender" them. Of course it's easier for everyone is they put some effort into looking like a woman, and they should be the first ones to understand that how they view themselves and what the mirror shows would never quite match, but they can make some steps in that direction.

The big problem is how to get people to separate their private beliefs from science and the law.
Yeah, very much agree.

Btw, I had a revelation the other day about that thing re. the unfalsifiability of religious belief. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I was thinking about how most of the great MMA fighters seem to be religious (you often see them kissing their crucifix of breathlessly praising God after their victory). So what happens when you think God is on your side but you're defeated? Well, God works in mysterious ways. But that's precisely what makes defeat a thing that doesn't touch the ego - that's the neat trick, the burden of what happens, victory or defeat, is shifted to the mysterious thing, so the ego is tamed.

Oddly enough, this is connected with Ayn Rand's argument for morality: animals act automatically to live, man has to think and choose to live, therefore he needs to live by effective rules. The ought of morality can only exist as a set of nested conditional "if .. thens", but they all must rest in some ultimate heirarchical culminative point. Of course Rand chose an elevated sense of self-as-rational-actor as that central focus point; but religious people choose something "outside" the self. But really, it doesn't matter - it's simply that, without some concept of the ultimately ultimate ultimatey-ness of the ultimate, there can be no morality.

Part of the problem today is that SJW-ism is Christian morality running on fumes, that's what's making ideas like compassion, brotherhood, equality, etc., turn into something monstrous. The edifice of conditional "if ... thens" is crumbling into a bunch of warring godlet-centres, without the God-centre it formerly had.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote: I first woke out of my dogmatic Humean slumbers last year, when I worked at the office of a Christian charity for a few months. Yes, most of the people there were "stupid" in the haughty sense we rationalists decry. Cringey cards and fridge magnets with uplifting christian messages, etc., etc., yadda yadda.

But nothing was more blindingly obvious than that they were having fun with life, much more fun than any other office job I've ever worked in.

And they were actually doing good too, they were helping out the street life late at night in various ways - helping drunks get home, helping vagrants find more detailed help, shelter, etc., etc. They hoped to bring people to Christ by example.
I have absolutely no problem with that (beyond those things not really being my cup of tea) and I think that no rational atheist should have any problem with that. Religion as a private association of people who are into a common idea isn't an issue, and it can be an asset. Yes, it might be daft, but there are many daft things that I don't like and don't change my life in a negative way (for example I think tennis is the most boring sport ever invented, with the possible exception of cricket, but I'm not oppressed by angry tennis or cricket fanatics).

The problems come when religion is used to promote laws which harm the lives or livelihoods of others, or to steer the telos of science away from free inquiry of reality into confirmation of the religion itself.

The goal of secularists should be to get more and more religious people to embrace the idea of bringing people to their side by example, by doing socially useful things, rather than by trying to fight science or to impose their will through laws. This can be done by questioning identity politics in general and by promoting a scientific education.

"Theistic evolution", the idea that a god or many gods act in an undetectable way beyond what's observable, and that's what's observable is what science observes, is fine by me. Catholics have managed to accept evolution by natural selection, that's actually encouraging.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

That's Ali's job.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote:I was thinking about how most of the great MMA fighters seem to be religious (you often see them kissing their crucifix of breathlessly praising God after their victory). So what happens when you think God is on your side but you're defeated? Well, God works in mysterious ways. But that's precisely what makes defeat a thing that doesn't touch the ego - that's the neat trick, the burden of what happens, victory or defeat, is shifted to the mysterious thing, so the ego is tamed.

Oddly enough, this is connected with Ayn Rand's argument for morality: animals act automatically to live, man has to think and choose to live, therefore he needs to live by effective rules. The ought of morality can only exist as a set of nested conditional "if .. thens", but they all must rest in some ultimate heirarchical culminative point. Of course Rand chose an elevated sense of self-as-rational-actor as that central focus point; but religious people choose something "outside" the self. But really, it doesn't matter - it's simply that, without some concept of the ultimately ultimate ultimatey-ness of the ultimate, there can be no morality.

Part of the problem today is that SJW-ism is Christian morality running on fumes, that's what's making ideas like compassion, brotherhood, equality, etc., turn into something monstrous. The edifice of conditional "if ... thens" is crumbling into a bunch of warring godlet-centres, without the God-centre it formerly had.
I agree that the non-falsifiability of religion is actually why religion is so successful. People are comforted by the idea that defeats are only temporary setbacks beyond their understanding, so they can concentrate on trying again instead of crying about missed opportunities and disasters. When non-religious utopian projects fail (like in the case of communism) you immediately look for someone to scapegoat, and if there's no one available, you crumble.

Religions basically teach people that their side will eventually win, which a very comforting thought. This is fine when it's projected into "the end of times", which doesn't depend on people's efforts but only on the whims of the deity. The problem is when someone wants to bring the "end of times" in the HERE and NOW.

This is what's happening right now with islam, incidentally: the economic and social issues in Arabic countries, and the powerful influence of Wahabism, have created the feeling in a lot of muslims that the "end of times" is VERY near, that the "conquest of the west" is going to happen within their lives, that all enemies of islam are doomed by the "weapons of mass reproduction", and that those enemies are weak and ripe for conquest and then the long-awaited arrival of the submission of the entire Earth to the Will of Allah.

"Millenarism", the idea of an imminent eschatology, is always a source of troubles. When the end is nigh you have nothing to fear and you're allowed to do whatever you want since you're about to win.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Dreaming about Heaven is fine. Trying to bring Heaven on Earth only creates Hell.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

gurugeorge wrote: I think even atheists have to find some existential link to the cosmos "bigger" than them, something not-me, etc. I think Sam Harris' "spirituality" is a fine version of that for atheists, and Jordan Peterson's version is a more intricate version of the same thing.
Have to? Isn't that the interesting thing! The need for some sense of connectedness to the universe. I assume it has served some evolutionary purpose, else it would not be universal. I've never got on with the idea of spirituality, not seeing that it is a necessary or even real concept, but if spirituality is a thing, it might be trimmed down to Hitchen's sense of the numinous, the transcendent (though having paid that lip service he never explored what that meant or why as far as I know.)
gurugeorge wrote:Some people will go back to a robust form of Christianity (like Catholicism) and take it rationally (i.e. "God of the Philosophers" style - the Cosmological Argument in its Aristotelian/Thomist version, not the strawman version you find in barefoot atheism, is quite a tolerably rational argument).
Or look into Buddhism, or Advaita Vedanta, or Stoicism, or any of the other ancient philosophies _qua_ ways of life that include this element.
That's the thing; we don't need to claim truth as a property of these things, so it doesn't much matter what you pick from the Spirituality Buffet. Is it simply the practice of a ritual that works for us? Robert Sapolsky has been saying for years that half crazy people might just come up with adaptive ideas that can aid societies at certain junctures, and thus help their society and themselves. He seems to feel this explains much of religion. Maybe, maybe not—religion serves to reassure in a scary world where answers aren't obvious and it turns out that made-up answers work fairly well for some people, some of the time.
gurugeorge wrote:Heck, even judicious use of drugs can do it. Whatever. Just get that feeling of connectedness (re-ligio), and ease some of the burden of being a micro-God - let some Ultimate Concept shoulder most of the burden. Pay your money and take your choice, it doesn't really matter. Just so long as Church and State remain separate, believe what you like, but believe in something.

"A hole inside"—yes, there is a need. I'm not so much concerned with filling it, as to understanding why there is such a hole. It probably is something to do with being evolution's version 1 of sentient, self-aware consciousness. But when you ask "how can we actually live, in a meaningless world?" I'd answer, 'How can we not?' It might just be the attempts of conscious minds to tolerate where they find themselves. There doesn't have to be any truth, any significance, or any revelation of ultimate reality involved. We're here, we're awake and we're scared. This or that ritual helps, just as an autist takes comfort in lining up his Dinky cars in some ranking that makes sense to him.

All the same, when the Pope says that gluten-free wafers for the eucharist don't actually/properly/chemically/authentically transform into the body of Christ, I know I'm dealing with someone who has taken the idea of a comforting ritual a bit far, and it makes me realise the silly fool actually believes in it, and hasn't thought it through properly. Such people irritate me. Clarity of thought and expression are worth far more.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Nevertheless, there is no reason for us to HotHouse a dead pool for him. I would hope that we don't Fast Forward a few months and then read his name in the obituaries.
He was writing Non-Stop for 60 years - sometimes working Eighty Minute Hours. That's An Age. It turned his Beard Grey and he could barely keep his Soldier Erect. I think he's entitled to a Cultural Break and call Last Orders.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

If you are worried about a reaction to gluten you don't really believe the cracker transforms into Jesus meat and you are going to hell anyway.

Might as well skip church and catch up on that bum fun you've been missing out on.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I don't mind admitting when I am wrong (or simply outclassed) - I was mis-remembering Non-Stop as FastForward.

[youtube][/youtube]

What a fantastic world to be living in when you realise that there are still Aldiss stories to read for the first time.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I don't mind living in a spiritually empty universe. I've never felt a god-shaped hole. Even when the parish priest offered me wine if I'd put my finger in.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Maybe he was just taking revenge for the Range Rover being parked on a cycle lane. :)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think my epitaph will be:

"It wasn't really working out anyway".